PDA

View Full Version : Bangor Hibs, County Mayo

The Harp Awakes
21-03-2018, 11:11 PM
When I was over in County Mayo tracing relatives a wee while ago, I drove through the rural village of Bangor Erris and noticed a signpost to Bangor Hibs amateur football club. This surprised me as the West of Ireland isn't really a big football (soccer) area. The popular sports are Gaelic football and hurling of course.

I did a bit of research and found that Bangor Hibs are a very well run amateur football club which gets great support from the local, rural community. What's more, after making contact with them, it seems they were formed in 1995 and named after the famous Edinburgh Hibees (rather than the more obvious Hibs/Ireland link). The facebook page below shows the team in their green jerseys as testimony.

https://www.facebook.com/bangorhibs/?hc_ref=ARQceEclVMIvI-gdFaLy_cdXi5TMXHJ-8yT5XtfKh2p6Udbvi1nBFDkeyKs3N3Em3ho&fref=nf

I've looked out for their results ever since:flag:

Apart from Bangor Hibs, Malta Hibs, Thornton Hibs, Edina Hibs and of course THE Hibs, anyone aware of any other football clubs in existence today which includes the name 'Hibs'?

GGTTH

Mr White
22-03-2018, 04:59 AM
I was reading about Cork Hibs recently. They folded in the 70's though.

LithgaeHibby
22-03-2018, 05:22 AM
Leamington Hibernian FC.

ac1
22-03-2018, 06:13 AM
Shannon Hibernians as well - think they play in Red and Black though

Dublin07
22-03-2018, 06:18 AM
I was reading about Cork Hibs recently. They folded in the 70's though.

They merged with cork Celtic and became cork city.

Mr White
22-03-2018, 06:50 AM
They merged with cork Celtic and became cork city.

That's one of the reasons I looked them up as I wondered if that had happened. However it doesn't look to be so, as Cork Celtic continued playing for a couple of years after Cork Hibs folded and the current Cork City (who themselves have hit financial difficulties in quite recent times) started 8 or so years later from the remnants of Cork United, though they use the same ground as Cork Celtic did so maybe they became United then City?

Either way, running a football club in Cork doesn't look like the easiest thing to sustain! Though with City being current LOI champions hopefully that's no longer the case.

Forza Fred
22-03-2018, 07:51 AM
My old coach who emigrated in the early 60’s to Australia and went on to captain them.....Pat Hughes, played for junior side Duntocher Hibs prior to leaving Scotland.

The Pointer
22-03-2018, 04:46 PM
I think there's a Tokyo Hibs.

Carheenlea
22-03-2018, 09:34 PM
I think I’m going to have to adopt them as my Irish team. Been a regular visitor to the neighbouring county of Galway for over 10 years, and have tried to embrace the local team, Galway Utd, out of good manners to my in laws, but playing in maroon has been the main reason why any connection has proven to be impossible. Despite paying to see them a few times a season, I actually took satisfaction that they got relegated last year.

superfurryhibby
22-03-2018, 10:16 PM
https://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/thorntonhibsjfc/151027/Home

Thornton Hibs.

monktonharp
22-03-2018, 11:02 PM
When I was over in County Mayo tracing relatives a wee while ago, I drove through the rural village of Bangor Erris and noticed a signpost to Bangor Hibs amateur football club. This surprised me as the West of Ireland isn't really a big football (soccer) area. The popular sports are Gaelic football and hurling of course.

I did a bit of research and found that Bangor Hibs are a very well run amateur football club which gets great support from the local, rural community. What's more, after making contact with them, it seems they were formed in 1995 and named after the famous Edinburgh Hibees (rather than the more obvious Hibs/Ireland link). The facebook page below shows the team in their green jerseys as testimony.

https://www.facebook.com/bangorhibs/?hc_ref=ARQceEclVMIvI-gdFaLy_cdXi5TMXHJ-8yT5XtfKh2p6Udbvi1nBFDkeyKs3N3Em3ho&fref=nf

Apart from Bangor Hibs, Malta Hibs, Thornton Hibs, Edina Hibs and of course THE Hibs, anyone aware of any other football clubs in existence today which includes the name 'Hibs'?

GGTTHCo. Mayo is where my Mother's side (Mc Hale) originated. they are quite a big name over there, and McHale Park is the home of their GAA team. my auld girl once told me my first, and middle names were to be Liam McHale.........second name. but my Da got pished and just called me after his Da.!! Liam McHale was captain for Maigho in the all Ireland final some years ago. got beat by those cheatin' Kerry bassas :wink:

Itsnoteasy
23-03-2018, 06:58 AM
Hibees here Hibees there Hibees every f÷×&£@n where. Nanananananananana.

BILLYHIBS
23-03-2018, 07:20 AM
Dundee HIBS now Dundee United think they play in the lower leagues in Scotland.

hibee_nation
23-03-2018, 09:51 AM
I think I’m going to have to adopt them as my Irish team. Been a regular visitor to the neighbouring county of Galway for over 10 years, and have tried to embrace the local team, Galway Utd, out of good manners to my in laws, but playing in maroon has been the main reason why any connection has proven to be impossible. Despite paying to see them a few times a season, I actually took satisfaction that they got relegated last year.

Ha ha so i'm not the only one then. Love county Galway but maroon jerseys no thanks. Tis Kerry for me in Green and gold plus Tralee and Killarney and the Ring of kerry is stunning.

Pagan Hibernia
23-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Ha ha so i'm not the only one then. Love county Galway but maroon jerseys no thanks. Tis Kerry for me in Green and gold plus Tralee and Killarney and the Ring of kerry is stunning.

Fermanagh in the north have adopted Hibs colours for their GAA team next year, white sleeves and all.

And it’s also a lovely place 🙂

Pagan Hibernia
23-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Dundee HIBS now Dundee United think they play in the lower leagues in Scotland.

aye. Some team in Glasgow tried to copy us too. No idea what happened to them.

BILLYHIBS
23-03-2018, 11:01 AM
aye. Some team in Glasgow tried to copy us too. No idea what happened to them.

Aye, still stealing our players.

Mr White
23-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Fermanagh in the north have adopted Hibs colours for their GAA team next year, white sleeves and all.

And it’s also a lovely place 🙂

Heading there right now for a couple of nights in Lisnaskea as it happens! The county colours have always been green and white though haven't they?

Pagan Hibernia
23-03-2018, 11:46 AM
Heading there right now for a couple of nights in Lisnaskea as it happens! The county colours have always been green and white though haven't they?

Yeah green shirts, white shorts. Rarely white sleeves though. Have a great weekend!

Mr White
23-03-2018, 11:55 AM
Yeah green shirts, white shorts. Rarely white sleeves though. Have a great weekend!

:aok:

The Harp Awakes
05-01-2022, 02:07 PM
Co. Mayo is where my Mother's side (Mc Hale) originated. they are quite a big name over there, and McHale Park is the home of their GAA team. my auld girl once told me my first, and middle names were to be Liam McHale.........second name. but my Da got pished and just called me after his Da.!! Liam McHale was captain for Maigho in the all Ireland final some years ago. got beat by those cheatin' Kerry bassas :wink:

My mother's family (Coyle) were from Belmullet, County Mayo. Hoping to head over again this year to find out a bit more :aok:

Oscar T Grouch
05-01-2022, 02:17 PM

GGTTH

My brother in law is from Belmullet in Mayo, he is a Blackburn and Celtc fan but maybe now I can persuade him to come to the light and start supporting Bangor Hibs, although it is miles away from Belmullet, well lets be honest everywhere is miles away from Belmullet:greengrin

superfurryhibby
05-01-2022, 03:03 PM
http://www.hiberniansfc.mt/history/

Hibernians FC, a wee bit of history from the Maltese Hibernians.

It would be great to play them on a pre-season Mediterranean tour.

CentreLine
05-01-2022, 03:14 PM
My mother's family (Coyle) were from Belmullet, County Mayo. Hoping to head over again this year to find out a bit more :aok:

Not Mayo but directly east in Co. Leitrim is where my grandfather came from. I thoroughly recommend the experience of finding your roots. In 2019 my brother and I spent a few days in Leitrim and Dublin exploring our family tree. Our greatest joy was finding the ruins of our great grandparents home on a boggy hillside, at a place called Kiltyclogher. Just being able to walk the ground, albeit some of the poorest farmland you’d ever see, of where the grandfather we never met grew up was real eye opener. I engaged a Dublin based genealogist and she was a huge help in us understanding the land and 19th century politics as well as nailing down the family history. Grandfather was born 1875 by the way, a good year. Came to Edinburgh at the turn of that century and lived in the West Port.

mayo hibee
05-01-2022, 03:19 PM
My brother in law is from Belmullet in Mayo, he is a Blackburn and Celtc fan but maybe now I can persuade him to come to the light and start supporting Bangor Hibs, although it is miles away from Belmullet, well lets be honest everywhere is miles away from Belmullet:greengrin

Sadly population decline in that part of Mayo as well as the dominance of Gaelic Football has taken its toll on Bangor Hibs, plenty of older people around there and still enough kids to field underage teams, but they haven't put out a men's team in a few years due to lack of numbers I believe.

It's a lovely spot but there's nothing to keep people around in that part of Mayo now, all the development and population growth is in the west and south of the county these days, around the population centres of Castlebar and Westport.

BS44
05-01-2022, 04:19 PM
Achill Hibs ya bass.

The Harp Awakes
05-01-2022, 06:21 PM
Achill Hibs ya bass.

Achill island, now there's a stunning spot. :aok:

BS44
05-01-2022, 06:33 PM
Achill island, now there's a stunning spot. :aok:

Yeah, Keem Bay on a summer's day is breathtakingly beautiful.

The Harp Awakes
05-01-2022, 06:56 PM
Yeah, Keem Bay on a summer's day is breathtakingly beautiful.

Got some stones from the deserted village in my back garden :cb

CentreLine
05-01-2022, 07:34 PM
http://www.hiberniansfc.mt/history/

Hibernians FC, a wee bit of history from the Maltese Hibernians.

It would be great to play them on a pre-season Mediterranean tour.

My wife’s grandmother hailed from Malta and my father-in-law’s cousin, Joseph Spiteri, players in goal for both Valletta and for Hibernians. Quite a character it seems and as a teenager he was one of the many Maltese youngsters to man the air defences against the Luftwaffe, for which the whole island of Malta was awarded the George Cross. Spiteri moved to Edinburgh and staying with my Father-in-Law’s family from 1950 onwards. A draw against them in Europe would be very welcome.

https://cdn-attachments.timesofmalta.com/ae480cc3995e4a7c326d566716d0c6e01762606169-1302029870-4d9b662e-620x348.jpg

Hector Mudflap
05-01-2022, 08:06 PM
https://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/thorntonhibsjfc/151027/Home

Thornton Hibs.

Play across the road from me in Memorial Park. There's a few of main guys at the club who are "real" Hibbies as well. Always worth a watch and when you get a cup of tea from the kiosk it's in a real mug that you have to take back. For anyone wanting to come over you will be made very welcome "Mon the Hibees" is the shout from the stand. Big game coming up against Kennoway Star Hearts......

Pagan Hibernia
05-01-2022, 08:28 PM
Not Mayo but directly east in Co. Leitrim is where my grandfather came from. I thoroughly recommend the experience of finding your roots. In 2019 my brother and I spent a few days in Leitrim and Dublin exploring our family tree. Our greatest joy was finding the ruins of our great grandparents home on a boggy hillside, at a place called Kiltyclogher. Just being able to walk the ground, albeit some of the poorest farmland you’d ever see, of where the grandfather we never met grew up was real eye opener. I engaged a Dublin based genealogist and she was a huge help in us understanding the land and 19th century politics as well as nailing down the family history. Grandfather was born 1875 by the way, a good year. Came to Edinburgh at the turn of that century and lived in the West Port.

I know kiltyclogher well. My dad’s from Leitrim and I grew up just over the border in Fermanagh.

glad you were able to do that trip ‘home’ and that it was successful :aok:

Davy Mac
05-01-2022, 08:33 PM
Cambuslang Hibs IIRC and there was a Hibs team played in purple near Kirkintilloch, can't remember the name. :-)

CentreLine
05-01-2022, 08:37 PM
I know kiltyclogher well. My dad’s from Leitrim and I grew up just over the border in Fermanagh.

glad you were able to do that trip ‘home’ and that it was successful :aok:

Oh it was superb. My grandfather’s cousin grew up in the next again “croft” on the same hillside. His house is preserved as a museum and was also a fascinating visit. They made the most of what they had but it must have been grim. A real eye opener.

Bishop Hibee
05-01-2022, 09:52 PM
I think there's a Tokyo Hibs.

Blast from the past. I think it was started by a Japanese guy who used to drink in Robbie’s Bar when he went back to Japan. Has to be 20 years ago at least and no idea if they are still going.There used to be a photo of the team behind the bar if memory serves me correctly.

Pretty Boy
06-01-2022, 01:36 PM
Reading the above link it would seem Malta Hibernians celebrate their centenary this year. It would be amazing to organise something with them.

BS44
06-01-2022, 03:09 PM
Got some stones from the deserted village in my back garden :cb

Very cool. My mammy grew up in Dooega - Judith Ralston/Tonner also had family in the same wee village.

Hibiza
07-01-2022, 11:12 AM
Not sure if Duntocher Hibs still on the go.

The Harp Awakes
09-01-2022, 12:09 AM
Not sure if Duntocher Hibs still on the go.

Looks like Duntocher Hibs are still going as an amateur team. Previously a junior side who once played in a Scottish Junior Cup Final at Hampden in front of 56000 fans.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-samsung-rev2&source=android-browser&q=duntocher+hibs+afc