PDA

View Full Version : Delusion

Rocky
21-03-2018, 10:30 PM
I've had a reasonably entertaining half hour over on kickback reading the responses to Budgie's statement and it's really quite extraordinary how much blind faith and wilful ignorance is on display. I reckon maybe 15% of posters are sensible and calling out the issues but they're completely shouted down as pant wetters by the majority. I think that's dangerous for any club as issues can really take root unchallenged.

So my question is, what are our delusions as a support? It's always hardest to see your own blind spots as things like confirmation bias kick in, and I just wonder if there are any things we should be concerned about in our club that we don't focus on as it's easier to be on a happy path. I think we have a reasonable level of wishful thinking and delusion when it comes to the plight of our maroon neighbours, but I'm cool with that as it's fun and it doesn't create any issues for our own club. Plus even our most outlandish wishful thinking is nearer to the reality than the stories that lot believe.

I can't think of any collective delusions that we hold, but I guess that's the point. NB this isn't intended to be a club bashing thread, just a bit of reflection on whether we have any blind spots that could catch us out in the future.

Eyrie
21-03-2018, 10:32 PM
I'd say our main delusion is that we play attractive football.

We have done and still do on occasions, but nowhere near as often or as well as we like to claim.

hibby6270
21-03-2018, 11:10 PM
DELUSION - Def:
A delusion is a mistaken belief that is held with strong conviction even when presented with superior evidence to the contrary. As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, or some other misleading effects of perception.

A definition never more demonstrated than the following piece of fantasy taken directly from the HMFC website when their hospitality packages were advertised before the start of this season. I’ll just leave this here for everyone to glorify in what we peg sellers at ER are obviously missing out on..............

Tynecastle Park, home of Heart of Midlothian FC, the Heart and Soul of Edinburgh, offers a fantastic matchday experience for all guests. There is something truly special about matchdays at Tynecastle Park with an electric atmosphere created by the country’s most engaged support. The exceptional Lounges in the new Main Stand are scheduled for completion in early 2018.

Corporate Season Members will be able to take up their VIP places in the ground with hospitality initially being provided in the Gorgie Suite until the new lounges are open. The Gorgie Suite is currently going through a programme of enhancement and will offer two different matchday experiences to cater for the expectations of our guests.

Spaces in the Gorgie Suite are limited and will be allocated on a first come first serve basis to new Corporate Members. Hospitality experiences are provided by the renowned in-house Tynecastle Events team.

In season 2017/18, the club will officially open the new Main Stand, and with it, five stunning new hospitality lounges. The lounges, which have been carefully planned to cater for a broad range of experiences, will provide the best sports hospitality in Scotland with luxurious and modern surroundings and award winning service. Hospitality Packages are completed by close-to-the-action seating, giving guests the thrill of Tynecastle Park’s unique atmosphere.

So whether you are seeking an informal matchday in modern surroundings, traditional hospitality for networking with top clients, or aspire to the ultimate matchday experience in elegant surroundings,Tynecastle Park will provide the right package for you, for your friends and for your business associates.

:blah::fibber::lolyam::rotflmao::faf:

basehibby
21-03-2018, 11:46 PM

We have done and still do on occasions, but nowhere near as often or as well as we like to claim.

I think that's not so much a delusion but a vision that the fans identify with - and therefore demand of Hibs. The club does not always deliver on that football dream with the right manager or team on the park to fulfill it. But the fans' vision defines expectations and contributes to the chemistry that works at Hibs - managers who espouse an attractive style will generally be cut a bit more slack and given more backing whereas those with a defensive style are given short shrift if they don't deliver good results and quickly!

Eaststandee
21-03-2018, 11:55 PM
I don't know what out biggest delusion is but in the yams season ticket statement they've gone from delusion to just blatantly lying.

" lifting that trophy again in 2012 after cruising to the biggest Edinburgh derby victory in history"

7-0 GIRFUY!

Pete
22-03-2018, 12:10 AM
When things aren't going well for your team I think it's a natural reaction to circle the wagons, concentrate on the positives and look to the future, which is a form of delusion I suppose.

Guilty as charged during the bad old days but looking at the bigger picture was worth it. What do we have to worry about now?

I think the only people who are maybe deluding themselves are those who want to fill corners in. Maybe 🤔

Viva_Palmeiras
22-03-2018, 05:07 AM
I've had a reasonably entertaining half hour over on kickback reading the responses to Budgie's statement and it's really quite extraordinary how much blind faith and wilful ignorance is on display. I reckon maybe 15% of posters are sensible and calling out the issues but they're completely shouted down as pant wetters by the majority. I think that's dangerous for any club as issues can really take root unchallenged.

So my question is, what are our delusions as a support? It's always hardest to see your own blind spots as things like confirmation bias kick in, and I just wonder if there are any things we should be concerned about in our club that we don't focus on as it's easier to be on a happy path. I think we have a reasonable level of wishful thinking and delusion when it comes to the plight of our maroon neighbours, but I'm cool with that as it's fun and it doesn't create any issues for our own club. Plus even our most outlandish wishful thinking is nearer to the reality than the stories that lot believe.

I can't think of any collective delusions that we hold, but I guess that's the point. NB this isn't intended to be a club bashing thread, just a bit of reflection on whether we have any blind spots that could catch us out in the future.

We’re Hearts always deluded or has it been elevated by the financial doping era of Walnut and Romanov fuelled further by periods of not losing derbies?

Is complacency the thing to guard then regardless of position?
We’ve hit a purple patch of visits to Hampden hell we’ve even had folks question whether to sing SOL at certain points.
The pendulum swings, there are tipping points. I guess make hay whilst the sunshine is a good enough mantra but maybe not howl in the depths of despair when times get tough.

SirDavidsNapper
22-03-2018, 05:42 AM
In one of Queen Ann's previous waffling statements did she not describe Tynecastle as having "one of the best atmospheres in world football"? Thats worrying delusion.

For us.. Really cant think of any. We know when we're decent and we know when we're Barry White. We don't really claim to be anything we're not.

blackpoolhibs
22-03-2018, 06:33 AM
There's no such thing as Hibs class.

Beefster
22-03-2018, 06:35 AM
You’d think they’d have learned the lessons of blindly swallowing whatever someone in a position of authority serves them up.

hibsbollah
22-03-2018, 06:47 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43493453

This Neilson 'please giza job mate' piece pretty much encapsulates 'delusion'. After getting kicked off the gig as Levein's puppet at Hearts, he goes to MK Dons and fails miserably and gets sacked. He would now like to go back to Hearts, but only one day, not now, only after he's got some 'top level' experience , when he can help them 'push on' and take them to the next level'.

green day
22-03-2018, 07:12 AM
You’d think they’d have learned the lessons of blindly swallowing whatever someone in a position of authority serves them up.

It's pre programmed, pavlovian type response - like a stupid dog giving a paw for a choccie, they can't help themselves.

Whenever a cardigan wearing, rover driving Jambo hears someone talk about money, they respond with terms like "big team" "derby domination" "establishment team" "Crispin Roseberry" etc

Fannies

Hibs Class
22-03-2018, 07:18 AM

:hmmm:

Ringothedog
22-03-2018, 07:33 AM

There’s no such thing as class only Hibs

highland hibbee
22-03-2018, 07:40 AM
Let’s be totally honest, we at Hibernian F.C are often delusional when we try to defend ourselves against claims that we are “ the wee team!,” that we are not “ peg sellers,” that we will ever win the “ Bug Cup,” and that winning the “ wee cup “ is of any importance.
Lets not kid ourselves, we are the most delusional support in the world.
Aye right, GIRFUY ya guffys

JeMeSouviens
22-03-2018, 09:26 AM
I don't know what out biggest delusion is but in the yams season ticket statement they've gone from delusion to just blatantly lying.

" lifting that trophy again in 2012 after cruising to the biggest Edinburgh derby victory in history"

7-0 GIRFUY!

You're kidding? I get that it's too much of a stretch for the average muppet to see they got there by stiffing their creditors and bankrupting themselves but putting it out in offishul club press? Dearie me. :rolleyes:

jacomo
22-03-2018, 09:29 AM
I think that's not so much a delusion but a vision that the fans identify with - and therefore demand of Hibs. The club does not always deliver on that football dream with the right manager or team on the park to fulfill it. But the fans' vision defines expectations and contributes to the chemistry that works at Hibs - managers who espouse an attractive style will generally be cut a bit more slack and given more backing whereas those with a defensive style are given short shrift if they don't deliver good results and quickly!

:agree:

This is a hard-to-define but definite dividing line between clubs.

Some aspire to attractive football. Some do not know what it means.

jacomo
22-03-2018, 09:31 AM

Not when you’re around, that’s for sure.

:greengrin

Greenbeard
22-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Is it delusional to think that NL could be here for the long term, a la Ferguson at MU (26 years), and become Hibs' longest ever serving manager? Can't see him going back to the Tic, no other Scottish club would be as attractive as Hibs, he's tried, failed and been criticised in England, and he's too ginger to bide on the continent. Currently (per Wikipedia) Dan McMichael is the longest serving manager with 18 years service over two stints and he died in office in 1919. Only 16 years to go Neil. (That's managing Hibs, not living.)

SirDavidsNapper
22-03-2018, 09:33 AM
We're deluding ourselves that we aren't spoon burners. We all know we are. Each and every one of us.

Deansy
22-03-2018, 09:59 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43493453

This Neilson 'please giza job mate' piece pretty much encapsulates 'delusion'. After getting kicked off the gig as Levein's puppet at Hearts, he goes to MK Dons and fails miserably and gets sacked. He would now like to go back to Hearts, but only one day, not now, only after he's got some 'top level' experience , when he can help them 'push on' and take them to the next level'.

Neilson's being cute - curently he knows he is way over-qualified for his old job and needs some time back amongst the maroon slavers/clown/muppets to get his IQ/knowledge down to the level required for the PBS :monkey1:

jacomo
22-03-2018, 10:08 AM
We're deluding ourselves that we aren't spoon burners. We all know we are. Each and every one of us.

Sh*te!

Ah moved on to the fentanyl ya radge. Miss the jellies though!

hibbyfraelibby
22-03-2018, 10:35 AM

Damn just burned my spoon and the melted plastc dripped on the carpet. The missus will kill me... that was her good methadone measure

Hillsidehibby
22-03-2018, 10:43 AM
I was so deluded to think those pesky customs officers wouldn’t check my case at the airport.
Written from my cell in the Hanoi Hilton.

Rocky
22-03-2018, 10:43 AM
I'll throw one into the mix as a question - are we deluded in thinking that the HTC is a good investment? New signings always seem genuinely impressed by it and it comes across as being a factor in their decision to join us. But maybe we're just lapping that up because it's what we want to hear?

A few questions to consider:
- Do we get value for money for the running costs? I seem to recall that it costs £500,000 per year just to keep the place running
- Is it appreciating in value as an asset? Or is the land essentially just worth whatever it would yield from farming?
- Is its location hampering us? If you go on the basis that you need boys on the books by the age of 12 to take them through the academy system, is a location east of Edinburgh impractical for boys of that age to travel to from along the Edinburgh - Glasgow corridor? Are we therefore limiting our potential talent pool to East / Midlothian and East Edinburgh?

Greenbeard
22-03-2018, 11:05 AM
I'll throw one into the mix as a question - are we deluded in thinking that the HTC is a good investment? New signings always seem genuinely impressed by it and it comes across as being a factor in their decision to join us. But maybe we're just lapping that up because it's what we want to hear?

- Do we get value for money for the running costs? I seem to recall that it costs £500,000 per year just to keep the place running
- Is it appreciating in value as an asset? Or is the land essentially just worth whatever it would yield from farming?
- Is its location hampering us? If you go on the basis that you need boys on the books by the age of 12 to take them through the academy system, is a location east of Edinburgh impractical for boys of that age to travel to from along the Edinburgh - Glasgow corridor? Are we therefore limiting our potential talent pool to East / Midlothian and East Edinburgh?

Don't know enough to comment on VFM but the two times I have been there it was windy as ****** when it wasn't windy elsewhere and one time there was a Biblical plague of these tiny wee black corn flies. Location is not ideal but suspect land values closer to the A1/City Bypass would have ruled out us building to anywhere near the same spec. Would question though whether a 1/4 size pitch indoors is big enough these days for it to be classed as a truly elite facility, but the quality of HTC is still trotted out often enough as a selling point for incoming players.

Ozyhibby
22-03-2018, 11:24 AM

Those are very good points. Fact is we pay a lot more than the yams for our training facilities. We own ours but does that really matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammy7nil
22-03-2018, 11:30 AM

I agree it is a silly statement especially when you see the behaviour of a large minority of fans at "big" games.

Sammy7nil
22-03-2018, 11:32 AM
Those are very good points. Fact is we pay a lot more than the yams for our training facilities. We own ours but does that really matter?

On the plus side we will never be chased off the training pitch by the Janny

green day
22-03-2018, 11:35 AM

I think it does matter if we were valuing our assets - for example for the purposes of raising money in the future.

Pagan Hibernia
22-03-2018, 11:41 AM

yeah I’d agree with that to a point, but as another poster pointed out it’s more of an aspiration than anything. I remember Irvine Welsh talking in a documentary about the Famous Five and basically saying that they provide the prototype for Hibs teams to aspire to, we very seldom manage it but it’s still there as an aspiration.

by all accounts Turnbulls tornadoes were a wonderful side to watch (I never saw them play sadly). As were Mowbrays team, and indeed Neil Lennon’s team today are capable of some great stuff that’s easy on the eye but also has a bit of steel running through it.

Pagan Hibernia
22-03-2018, 11:42 AM
It's pre programmed, pavlovian type response - like a stupid dog giving a paw for a choccie, they can't help themselves.

Whenever a cardigan wearing, rover driving Jambo hears someone talk about money, they respond with terms like "big team" "derby domination" "establishment team" "Crispin Roseberry" etc

Fannies

Do they actually accept that they’re the ‘establishment team’ then?

Honestly dont see why anyone would take pride in that.

green day
22-03-2018, 11:45 AM

I have heard jambos saying it - like I said before, fannies.

jacomo
22-03-2018, 11:52 AM

Because, like Rangers or the Anglican Church, being the establishment choice used to come with all sorts of benefits.

To be fair to the Jambos, their loss of establishment privilege hasn’t led to a self-pitying victimhood culture, unlike the other two.

Beefster
22-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Don't know enough to comment on VFM but the two times I have been there it was windy as ****** when it wasn't windy elsewhere and one time there was a Biblical plague of these tiny wee black corn flies. Location is not ideal but suspect land values closer to the A1/City Bypass would have ruled out us building to anywhere near the same spec. Would question though whether a 1/4 size pitch indoors is big enough these days for it to be classed as a truly elite facility, but the quality of HTC is still trotted out often enough as a selling point for incoming players.

That's just the perils of being in the countryside and only happens for a week or two a year.

FWIW East Mains is about 3 miles from the A1. Folk talk about it like it's the other side of Duns.

Greenbeard
22-03-2018, 12:23 PM
That's just the perils of being in the countryside and only happens for a week or two a year.

FWIW East Mains is about 3 miles from the A1. Folk talk about it like it's the other side of Duns.
Duns? Now that IS Deliverance country!

Rocky
22-03-2018, 12:29 PM

If you live in West Lothian / Falkirk / Stirling it may as well be. If you're finishing work in Edinburgh at 5 (as many people do) , travelling home to collect your son to take him all the way back and round the jammed bypass, two nights of training at 6.30 doesn't sound like a great proposition.

Jones28
22-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Has this gone from toungue in cheek to serious or so dripping in sarcasm it just sounds that way?

Eaststandee
22-03-2018, 12:37 PM
You're kidding? I get that it's too much of a stretch for the average muppet to see they got there by stiffing their creditors and bankrupting themselves but putting it out in offishul club press? Dearie me. :rolleyes:

There is a lot to be proud of; a youth system producing some of the finest talents in Scottish football who are already making their mark in the first team; a sense of community spirit that sees Hearts committed to making a social impact in the local area and beyond; a rich heritage that celebrates the achievements of the iconic players that have pulled on the famous maroon jersey; and an exciting future where the stars of today and tomorrow run out in the shadow of the magnificent new Main Stand to a packed Tynecastle…an everlasting legacy of the backing provided by the fans.

https://media.giphy.com/media/5b5OU7aUekfdSAER5I/giphy.gif

Jones28
22-03-2018, 12:38 PM
Duns? Now that IS Deliverance country!

Oi, watch it or I'll pump you while my banjo playing mate watches.

green day
22-03-2018, 01:35 PM
If you live in West Lothian / Falkirk / Stirling it may as well be. If you're finishing work in Edinburgh at 5 (as many people do) , travelling home to collect your son to take him all the way back and round the jammed bypass, two nights of training at 6.30 doesn't sound like a great proposition.

Did you consider the other side of the coin? Lets assume you have a boy training with Hearts -

Say you live in East Lothian, Haddington, Dunbar. If you are finishing work in Edinburgh at 5 (as many people do) , travelling home to collect your son to take him all the way back and round the jammed bypass, two nights of training at 6.30 doesn't sound like a great proposition.

I know I am being flippant above, but.......I know a family who live in Aberdeen and their 15 yo is with Dundee, and they travel at least twice a week to Dundee to train in the evening, added to travel for his school and boys clubs.

Unless we have multiple training facilities dotted round the country (and that aint happening until we get an English style TV deal - i.e. never), then these issues will come up. I guess its up to the kid / parents.

Rocky
22-03-2018, 01:46 PM
Did you consider the other side of the coin? Lets assume you have a boy training with Hearts -

Say you live in East Lothian, Haddington, Dunbar. If you are finishing work in Edinburgh at 5 (as many people do) , travelling home to collect your son to take him all the way back and round the jammed bypass, two nights of training at 6.30 doesn't sound like a great proposition.

I know I am being flippant above, but.......I know a family who live in Aberdeen and their 15 yo is with Dundee, and they travel at least twice a week to Dundee to train in the evening, added to travel for his school and boys clubs.

Unless we have multiple training facilities dotted round the country (and that aint happening until we get an English style TV deal - i.e. never), then these issues will come up. I guess its up to the kid / parents.

Yes I did consider the other side of the coin and of course we have better access to the kids on the east side of Edinburgh. However the fact is that the population density to the west is much higher and therefore so is the potential talent pool.

WhileTheChief..
22-03-2018, 01:54 PM
There’s also a lot more choice for the kids anywhere in the central belt whereas those on the East have us or....

If a promising youngster or parent isn’t prepared for a bit of extra traffic then they can’t be all that serious at becoming a professional player.

Ask any top sportsman, they made sacrifices.

green day
22-03-2018, 01:55 PM
Yes I did consider the other side of the coin and of course we have better access to the kids on the east side of Edinburgh. However the fact is that the population density to the west is much higher and therefore so is the potential talent pool.

Might as well move it to Falkirk then............

Rocky
22-03-2018, 01:56 PM
There’s also a lot more choice for the kids anywhere in the central belt whereas those on the East have us or....

That's a very good point

Rocky
22-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Might as well move it to Falkirk then............

Joking aside, maybe investing some money to take over the Forth Valley setup instead of letting it fold and scatter the players around various clubs would have been worth considering?

Edit: I mean in addition to HTC, not instead of

Crazyhorse
22-03-2018, 03:32 PM

I've always questioned the wisdom of this and always will. It was the one part of the focus on investing in infrastructure phase which I can't fathom.

jacomo
22-03-2018, 03:47 PM
I've always questioned the wisdom of this and always will. It was the one part of the focus on investing in infrastructure phase which I can't fathom.

The location issue is a slightly separate argument, but on the principle of having our own training facilities - I’ve not heard a single professional working in the game who questions the value of it.

The location was forced on us to an extent, but anywhere would have pluses and minuses. A city centre location is not necessarily more accessible to players coming through from the West.

esjorto
22-03-2018, 03:59 PM
best sports hospitality in Scotland with luxurious and modern surroundings and award winning service.
You see?.... big teams win awards before the facilities are even opened.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-03-2018, 04:21 PM
There’s always a bit of suspension of disbelief with marketing /sales bumf.

Greenbeard
22-03-2018, 04:37 PM
Oi, watch it or I'll pump you while my banjo playing mate watches.
Ouch. Oink oink

Actually know a few folk from Duns and they're not that bad. Chirnside however......... !! Just don't go canoeing nearby.

berwickhibee
22-03-2018, 04:50 PM
Ouch. Oink oink

Actually know a few folk from Duns and they're not that bad. Chirnside however......... !! Just don't go canoeing nearby.

Chirnside is blessed with a large hibs support. Duns has a few but not as many. We regularly pick up in chirnside.

NAE NOOKIE
22-03-2018, 04:56 PM
I guess the aim to play good football as opposed to the reality that we don't always do it cant be described as a delusion .... I have yet to meet a Hibby who will blindly say we 'always' play good football because it isn't true and we all know it.

As for the HTC ...... It is the aim of practically every professional club to have its own training facility so there must be something to it. As for its location, its not on the bloody moon FFS .... If its too much of a hassle to fight the traffic to the other side of Edinburgh then you need reminding that very few kids get the chance to train and play for a professional club, not to mention the huge rewards that are possible if your kid does make it.

As for the Hertz .... their delusions are legion and far too numerous to list here :greengrin

JohnM1875
22-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Speaking of delusion my The Rangers supporting mate at work is touting Rafa Benitez as their next manager and has 'a good source' they are absolutely mental!!

SirDavidsNapper
22-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Speaking of delusion my The Rangers supporting mate at work is touting Rafa Benitez as their next manager and has 'a good source' they are absolutely mental!!

Wow. Even the old Rangers would have struggled to get Benitez. The new ones cant even attract McInnes.

Aldo
22-03-2018, 07:51 PM
We have our own training facility that we use when we want. The yams have a shared facility which they get use of and are not guaranteed access!

No brainier for me!

Crazyhorse
23-03-2018, 09:28 AM
The location issue is a slightly separate argument, but on the principle of having our own training facilities - I’ve not heard a single professional working in the game who questions the value of it.

The location was forced on us to an extent, but anywhere would have pluses and minuses. A city centre location is not necessarily more accessible to players coming through from the West.

It is about affordability and about where you target your resources. It is too late now but a partnership with QMU at Musselburgh would have been a good idea. Shared facilities/costs and access to their excellent Physiotherapy and Podiatry expertise would have been a good move for Hibs. Petrie is back in everyone's good books now because Leanne has developed a well run and relatively successful club. Historically he displayed some disastrous strategic decision making in my view.
I realise I represent the minority view on this but if we all had the same opinion there wouldn't be much point in this forum.

jacomo
23-03-2018, 09:33 AM
It is about affordability and about where you target your resources. It is too late now but a partnership with QMU at Musselburgh would have been a good idea. Shared facilities/costs and access to their excellent Physiotherapy and Podiatry expertise would have been a good move for Hibs. Petrie is back in everyone's good books now because Leanne has developed a well run and relatively successful club. Historically he displayed some disastrous strategic decision making in my view.
I realise I represent the minority view on this but if we all had the same opinion there wouldn't be much point in this forum.

Was a partnership with QMU ever in the cards though?

Harsh to blame Petrie without knowing if that option was even available.

In the grand scheme of things, we enjoy watching our football at a completely modernised, fully compliant, 20k seat stadium at Easter Road.

Things could be much, much worse.

Jones28
23-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Ouch. Oink oink

My wife's a Chirnside girl 😂😂😂😂

PatHead
23-03-2018, 02:05 PM
Sure we do have a relationship with QMU for Physio. I agree with you Petrie is getting an easy ride. Wonder how the support will react when Leeann does leave. Surely clubs down south will have noticed the job she has done here. That appointment will be crucial.

Geo_1875
23-03-2018, 02:10 PM

And we'd have to get off the pitches when the ladies hockey team want to practice?

Crazyhorse
23-03-2018, 02:13 PM

Some ideas were floated (I was working for QMU at the time and Farmer was involved with the university) but nothing very concrete I agree.

Crazyhorse
23-03-2018, 02:22 PM
And we'd have to get off the pitches when the ladies hockey team want to practice?

The term I used was "partnership" not landlord/tenant relationship. Do you see the difference?
QM were developing a big site, a proportion of which they will never use.
Sharing some of the infrastructure and maintenance costs is what I'm referring to, not an arrangement like our Jambo chums have.
Anyway all water under the bridge now.

Keith_M
23-03-2018, 02:28 PM
I delude myself that I'm not really this guy but in reality....

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/08/nintchdbpict000277715549.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100

Crazyhorse
23-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Was a partnership with QMU ever in the cards though?

Harsh to blame Petrie without knowing if that option was even available.

In the grand scheme of things, we enjoy watching our football at a completely modernised, fully compliant, 20k seat stadium at Easter Road.

Things could be much, much worse.

I agree with your point about our fantastic stadium and it will be a lasting legacy of the Petrie/Farmer years. No one should question that achievement but I also think a lot of mistakes were made in that era. I know Rod is still around (and I enjoyed his 'exuberance' comment to deflate the media bull **** around the cup final as much as the next man) but I tend to think of us as living the AD era now (Anno Dempster). And I'm glad we are!

Callyballybe
23-03-2018, 02:32 PM
I delude myself that I'm not really this guy but in reality....

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/08/nintchdbpict000277715549.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100

"Ha-ha-ha!"

Booker5time
23-03-2018, 02:50 PM
Do Hibs not have plans for a proper indoor facilty at east mains, or have I just made that up ? :confused:

I'll imgine if we get a decent amount for John McGinn most of it would go towards that ?

PatHead
23-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Do Hibs not have plans for a proper indoor facilty at east mains, or have I just made that up ? :confused:

I'll imgine if we get a decent amount for John McGinn most of it would go towards that ?

Would rather we spent the money on getting Leeann,George Craig and co tied up for the next few years.

Pete70
23-03-2018, 03:00 PM

LD said at the last AGM the club are looking to build a full size indoor pitch at EM sometime in the future. I don't recall if she mentioned a time frame.

hibbyfraelibby
23-03-2018, 04:34 PM
The term I used was "partnership" not landlord/tenant relationship. Do you see the difference?
QM were developing a big site, a proportion of which they will never use.
Sharing some of the infrastructure and maintenance costs is what I'm referring to, not an arrangement like our Jambo chums have.
Anyway all water under the bridge now.

QMU were originally going to be based st Gogarburn until Fred Goodwin and RBS gazumped them forcing the move to Mussleburgh, meanwhile East Mains came on the radar so there was no synergy at the time just wishful altered historical memories of people who were not there dreaming of things that were not happening

WhileTheChief..
23-03-2018, 06:15 PM
LD said at the last AGM the club are looking to build a full size indoor pitch at EM sometime in the future. I don't recall if she mentioned a time frame.

She also talked about it in one of her update videos on Hibs TV.

It’s definitely on the agenda and I’d guess sooner rather than later. She wouldn’t have mentioned it otherwise.

I agree with the poster above that the McGinn money will be used for that. Guess the corners at ER will have to wait!

Borderhibbie76
23-03-2018, 07:08 PM
I guess the aim to play good football as opposed to the reality that we don't always do it cant be described as a delusion .... I have yet to meet a Hibby who will blindly say we 'always' play good football because it isn't true and we all know it.

As for the HTC ...... It is the aim of practically every professional club to have its own training facility so there must be something to it. As for its location, its not on the bloody moon FFS .... If its too much of a hassle to fight the traffic to the other side of Edinburgh then you need reminding that very few kids get the chance to train and play for a professional club, not to mention the huge rewards that are possible if your kid does make it.

As for the Hertz .... their delusions are legion and far too numerous to list here :greengrinHonestly mate some on here act is if a couple of miles outside the perimeters of Edinburgh is like outer *****lia...there was a similar discussion in another thread a few weeks back. East Lothian is like 10 mins drive from Portobello...not exactly the dark side of the moon

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sammy7nil
24-03-2018, 09:18 PM
Would rather we spent the money on getting Leeann,George Craig and co tied up for the next few years.

Would rather we spent it on the team that is why we support Hibs

hibsbollah
24-03-2018, 09:20 PM

Your fantasies really have no place on a family board such as this one :tsk

AltheHibby
25-03-2018, 07:56 AM
I see the aircraft used for the "game changing" non-stop Perth to Heathrow flight has a livery described as "Yam Dreaming".

Game changing and yam dreaming sounds right to me.

Crazyhorse
25-03-2018, 06:15 PM
QMU were originally going to be based st Gogarburn until Fred Goodwin and RBS gazumped them forcing the move to Mussleburgh, meanwhile East Mains came on the radar so there was no synergy at the time just wishful altered historical memories of people who were not there dreaming of things that were not happening

Hi mate I'll assume that was just a general comment and not an ad hominem attack on me personally.
Anyway I just thought I would clarify the historical timeframe as someone who was there at the time. I left QMU (QMUC then) in 2005 after 11 years service.

QMUC's main campus (Clermiston) was in the West of the city and initially the majority of senior management and the Board of Governors wanted a new campus in the West. The history is:
- End 1999 and 2000 QM entered into discussion to move to Riccarton and share with Heriot-Watt. This was heavily pushed by the Scottish government but fell through because the management at QM felt it would ultimately be a take-over by the larger university.
- 2001 as you say QM agreed a deal to purchase the site at Gogarburn hospital. A meeting was convened with the Board of Governors to explain the commercial details of the deal and interestingly one of the governors was a director of RBS. The day after that meeting that governor resigned from the Board and shortly thereafter QM were gazumped by RBS. I'm sure there was no connection between the two events!!
- End 2002 QM agreed the deal to build a new campus at Craighall with a completion date of 2007.
- Hibs announced the East Mains project in 2006 and had been looking around at possible sites for a few years before that. The move to the east for the new QM campus along with Sir Tom Farmer's assistance to QM (he eventually became Chancellor in 2007) and closeness to several QM's Principal's including Joan Stinger meant that there were some conversations at a senior management level about the potential sharing of sports facilities with Hibs.
I confess I'm speaking only from the QM side, don't know about Hibs (perhaps you do?), and clearly nothing came of it.

So no dreaming or altered historical memories (i.e lies). Given the build and maintenance costs of East Mains I still think there could have been a good joint project between QM and Hibs. You may disagree and that's fair enough you are entitled to your view.

green day
26-03-2018, 07:52 AM
It was mentioned upthread that it costs "£500,000" to run EM every year.

Sounds a lot, but that isn't just cash down the drain.

Presumably any facility anywhere would cost a certain amount to run? Running costs perhaps include staffing costs?

Is there any evidence that EM costs us more than any comparable facility?

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2018, 08:07 AM
Why this obsession with the **** move on who cares what they think they are an irrelevance. MIND THE GAP!