PDA

View Full Version : Overrated hibs players

Stuart93
19-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Seeing as we had an underrated hibs players thread, wonder what people's thoughts are on players who've been made out to look better than they actually were.

I'll throw zemmama's name into the hat, special player on his day but wasn't consistent enough.

I'm fully expecting pelters here so tin hats on.

Hiber-nation
19-03-2018, 01:52 PM
None. Close thread.

Geo_1875
19-03-2018, 01:53 PM
A special player but overrated?

calumhibee1
19-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Seeing as we had an underrated hibs players thread, wonder what people's thoughts are on players who've been made out to look better than they actually were.

I'll throw zemmama's name into the hat, special player on his day but wasn't consistent enough.

Wash your mouth out.

Mines would be Steven Fletcher. Can’t believe he’s had the career he’s had or that he went for more than anyone we’ve ever sold other than Scott Brown. His goals record was bang average at best at us and he was painfully one footed.

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 01:54 PM

Zemmama 😂😂😂

Stuart93
19-03-2018, 01:55 PM
A special player but overrated?

Special player on his day yes but wasn't consistent enough for me.

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 01:56 PM
Wash your mouth out.

Mines would be Steven Fletcher. Can’t believe he’s had the career he’s had or that he went for more than anyone we’ve ever sold other than Scott Brown. His goals record was bang average at best at us.

This thread is going to turn out one bit arguement 😁 Fletcher was outstanding at Hibernian and has been his whole career.

Overrated? I’ll get back.

Stuart93
19-03-2018, 01:57 PM
This thread is going to turn out one bit arguement 😁 Fletcher was outstanding at Hibernian and has been his whole career.

Like I said tin hat on, always going to be disagreements, that's the beauty of a fans forum.

Hermit Crab
19-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Cummings.

calumhibee1
19-03-2018, 02:00 PM

Never really seen it myself. A forward with the ability that he was made out to have yet he never managed more than 14 goals in a season in all competitions. If he made it into double figures he usually only just made it with his other double figure seasons being 10, 11 and 12 goals in all comps. To put that into context, Simon Murray matched his best seasons tally in half a season and then got turfed out with nobody being that bothered.

Pretty Boy
19-03-2018, 02:02 PM
Ben Williams
James McPake

Geo_1875
19-03-2018, 02:07 PM
Special player on his day yes but wasn't consistent enough for me.

That's inconsistent, not overrated.

SirDavidsNapper
19-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Danny Swanson. Gets a lot of slack for being a Hibs supporter

theonlywayisup
19-03-2018, 02:12 PM

I was thinking of a parallel thread on the Most Overated Hibs.Net Poster but I think anarchy would ensue.

Back to your post, you could add Benji to that. On his day brilliant, but didn't happen often enough.

Northernhibee
19-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Ivan Sproule.

SRHibs
19-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Ben Williams
James McPake

Completely agree with James McPake. Even in his honeymoon period I was extremely sceptical about him. Could put in a hard tackle and that was about the lot.

I just think he was overrated because it was nice to have a player who clearly put everything on the park in a time when our fan base was a bit disillusioned.

Allant1981
19-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Ivan Sproule.

sorry cant agree with that, he turned out to be a good player for us

calumhibee1
19-03-2018, 02:20 PM
Ben Williams
James McPake

Agree with both of these, especially McPake. Won people over by having the heart of a lion and often making up for his poor positional sense with last ditch tackles. I think people usually seen this is him making up the ground (which he did often to be fair) when he should never of had to make it up in the first place.

Pretty Boy
19-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Ivan Sproule.

Bought for £5K, sold for 100 times that amount with a hat trick and a SC goal at Ibrox to his name.

I think taking that into account he done more than ok for us.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Chunky, I cannae remember him being as good as a lot of folk on here make out. I was an uberfan in those days too.

Geo_1875
19-03-2018, 02:26 PM
John Rankin. Can't believe the hero-worship thrown around when he was at Hibs.

Zoro
19-03-2018, 02:28 PM

not so sure about that gets his fair share of flak, surprising how you ca judge when he's not even played .showed at previous clubs what he can do.

also to point out never has ben played in the correct position since joining

Hermit Crab
19-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Chunky, I cannae remember him being as good as a lot of folk on here make out. I was an uberfan in those days too.

Take your pick, Eduardo Hurtardo, Shefti Kuqi, Barry Lavety...?

Hermit Crab
19-03-2018, 02:33 PM

On that note David Wotherspoon, I can't believe he got applause from some of the Hibs support on Friday when he was subbed on!!!

The Modfather
Lewis Stevenson :devil: :greengrin

Sauzee16
Never really seen it myself. A forward with the ability that he was made out to have yet he never managed more than 14 goals in a season in all competitions. If he made it into double figures he usually only just made it with his other double figure seasons being 10, 11 and 12 goals in all comps. To put that into context, Simon Murray matched his best seasons tally in half a season and then got turfed out with nobody being that bothered.

You didn’t just compare Steven Fletcher with Simon Murray 😀😀😀

Fletch was fantastic at Hibs and has had a tremendous career. Our tactics didn’t suit him when Riordan and GOC left then Collins and he was left up top with Colin Nish but check some of his play at the time and his goals whrrr top notch.

snooky
19-03-2018, 02:34 PM
Whittaker. Never rated him as a full back first time he was here and he's not as good as he was this time around.
It's a shame because he seems a really nice bloke, always showed respect to Hibs and has the attitude of a decent pro.

Fletcher. Good player but I never thought he was as good as folk made out.

Ironically both the players above went on to have very successful careers so well done lads. :aok:
You'll all be glad to hear I have no plans to ever scout for Hibs .

AgentDaleCooper
19-03-2018, 02:34 PM

I remember him bei g much maligned through out his time here, no?

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 02:35 PM
On that note David Wotherspoon, I can't believe he got applause from some of the Hibs support on Friday when he was subbed on!!!

Why not? He came through at us, was more than good enough for a place in the team, knocked hearts out the cup and was played out of position. He then played in a much better Saints side than us for a good 3 years and won the Scottish cup with his boyhood team. He wasn’t over rated at all.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Take your pick, Eduardo Hurtardo, Shefti Kuqi, Barry Lavety...?

Sorry G! Got my confectionary mixed up, meant Crunchie, oops.

snooky
19-03-2018, 02:37 PM
Ivan Sproule.

Ouch! :bitchy:

snooky
19-03-2018, 02:38 PM

Barred :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
19-03-2018, 02:38 PM
not so sure about that gets his fair share of flak, surprising how you ca judge when he's not even played .showed at previous clubs what he can do.

He must have played at least 10 games for us. Enough to form an opinion. I don't think he has the temperament to play at a Hibs or Hearts. Decent for Dundee United as a youngster and a good season scoring a lot of penalties for St Johnstone last season but for me its a no.

Northernhibee
19-03-2018, 02:39 PM
sorry cant agree with that, he turned out to be a good player for us

Good, but I don't believe I'd go further than that tbh.

Hermit Crab
19-03-2018, 02:39 PM

AH, Kevin McCallister. He was ok, a nippy winger.

Northernhibee
19-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Ouch! :bitchy:

He was good, but also very frustrating at times as well. He wasn't as brilliant as he is sometimes made out to be.

Still glad we had him though

houstonhibbee
19-03-2018, 02:42 PM

Bobby smith
Super Joe T
Paul Kane

Northernhibee
19-03-2018, 02:43 PM
Fwiw, one that will be even less popular - Conrad Logan. Brilliant in his first game with us, not so much after.

Still love him and still a legend though!

Hermit Crab
19-03-2018, 02:48 PM
Alan Reid.

SRHibs
19-03-2018, 02:51 PM
Fwiw, one that will be even less popular - Conrad Logan. Brilliant in his first game with us, not so much after.

I don’t think anyone’s under any illusions as to his ability to be honest. The stars aligned that day for him, and while he’s decent enough I think he showed in his other games that he’s as prone to errors as the many calamities who preceded him.

Still an absolute hero though as you say.

The Modfather
19-03-2018, 02:51 PM
Dean Shiels

calumhibee1
19-03-2018, 02:53 PM

Had an unreal game in the semi final and a decent enough game in the final. I’d say the league games unfortunately brought his average performance rating down to an 11/10 though, he was bang average at beat in them.

Peevemor
19-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Stuart Turnbull. Most people thought he was utter crap, but he wasn't even that good.

Zoro
19-03-2018, 03:01 PM
He must have played at least 10 games for us. Enough to form an opinion. I don't think he has the temperament to play at a Hibs or Hearts. Decent for Dundee United as a youngster and a good season scoring a lot of penalties for St Johnstone last season but for me its a no.

started 10 games since joining cmon now he gets about 10 mins if lucky at the end of the game. when playing against us and hearts he's always performed well, swanson is one of thee players that needs game time.

Ozyhibby
19-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Rowan Vine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merseyhibs
19-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Joe Harper

Leith's finest
19-03-2018, 03:03 PM
Danny handling

.Sean.
19-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Gary Caldwell

Smartie
19-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Gary Caldwell.

I didn't ever get him as a footballer.

Another one who had to make heroic tackles to compensate for being in the wrong position in the first place.

Great career, decent medal collection, loads of caps and earned a lot of money, but I didn't see it in him.

Elephant Stone
19-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Isaiah Osbourne
Kevin McBride

Tomsk
19-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Ian Murray -- a so-called utility player who could play in three or four position but was actually just a be-in merchant who got the crowd on his side by rattling a few bones now and then.

Captain Trips
19-03-2018, 03:19 PM
Stuart Lovell I did not think much of him as a player, I know some do.

jacomo
19-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Rowan Vine

There’s a few players who were signed in anticipation of good things, because they had done well elsewhere.

They then appeared in a Hibs shirt and looked a shadow of their former selves. I’m not sure many fans continued to rate them.

Vine falls into this category. As does Paul Heffernan.

Hiber-nation
19-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Rowan Vine

Who rated him????

Ozyhibby
19-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Who rated him????

I’m always hearing people say they thought he was absolutely s**** and I always think no way was he that good. [emoji6]

KWJ
19-03-2018, 03:27 PM
Excellent beard.

Thecat23
19-03-2018, 03:27 PM
Handling, Harris, both massively overhyped and I never knew why.

Tomsk
19-03-2018, 03:28 PM
Paul Fenwick -- soft as *****, and completely found out when Sauzee retired.

KWJ
19-03-2018, 03:28 PM

You didn't know why Alex Harris was hyped?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoPds4gItpU

IncredibleHibee
19-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Paul Hanlon 👀

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 03:36 PM
Ian Murray -- a so-called utility player who could play in three or four position but was actually just a be-in merchant who got the crowd on his side by rattling a few bones now and then.

He was class before his move west.

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 03:36 PM
Can we include managers and say John Collins?

Peevemor
19-03-2018, 03:42 PM

I think we all expected huge things from Harris after the way he burst into the team. He wasn't the same after his injury but most people hoped that he'd come good again.

I remember Graeme Donald scoring 3 goals in his first 4 appearances as a substitute. He hardly kicked a ball for us after that.

KWJ
19-03-2018, 03:45 PM
I think we all expected huge things from Harris after the way he burst into the team. He wasn't the same after his injury but most people hoped that he'd come good again.

I remember Graeme Donald scoring 3 goals in his first 4 appearances as a substitute. He hardly kicked a ball for us after that.

Indeed. He was hyped on the back of the games in that video. After his injury he's not been the same player and I've never heard anybody hype about his form since then.

Sad one.

Thecat23
19-03-2018, 03:57 PM

So one goal that the keeper should have got btw means he should get hyped up to be the “next best thing.” I liked Alex he seemed a nice lad but I’m sorry you could see after a number of games he just wasn’t going to make it at this level.

Geo_1875
19-03-2018, 04:01 PM
So one goal that the keeper should have got btw means he should get hyped up to be the “next best thing.” I liked Alex he seemed a nice lad but I’m sorry you could see after a number of games he just wasn’t going to make it at this level.

Did you mention this at the time or is that hindsight?

Personally, I thought he was an outstanding prospect until his injury.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-03-2018, 04:08 PM

Surely thecat turns out to be on the right side of the arguement when you look at the thread title.

Monts
19-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Surely thecat turns out to be on the right side of the arguement when you look at the thread title.

Depends if your view is that he lost his edge due to being injured, rather than people thinking he was better than he really was.

KWJ
19-03-2018, 04:17 PM

No, at the time the hype was real.

Only one goal sure but the chances created were there too. It was a small sample size of matches before his injury and whether it's been physical or mental that player from the above video just didn't come back.

calumhibee1
19-03-2018, 04:20 PM

Danny Handling was hugely over hyped. He was so far off SPL level and was never going to come close to making it in my eyes.

Harris looked a good prospect when he broke through. Could beat a man and had a good delivery on him. His injury ruined his career.

we are hibs
19-03-2018, 04:22 PM
Didn't get the hype about Fyvie at all. Fair play he done well in the cup final but i didn't understand why everyone was so desperate for him to stay. We certainly haven't missed him as much as people made out we would either.

highland hibbee
19-03-2018, 04:23 PM

Don’t remember Rankin being hero worshipped. Remember him getting a lot of abuse though.

KWJ
19-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Didn't get the hype about Fyvie at all. Fair play he done well in the cup final but i didn't understand why everyone was so desperate for him to stay. We certainly haven't missed him as much as people made out we would either.

But McGinn, McGeough and Bartley have proved fit for most of the season. He was the more ball playing option over Bartley while now Dylan drops deeper.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-03-2018, 04:24 PM
No, at the time the hype was real.

Only one goal sure but the chances created were there too. It was a small sample size of matches before his injury and whether it's been physical or mental that player from the above video just didn't come back.

Hype but, no real stubstance unfortunately.

Thecat23
19-03-2018, 04:25 PM

I said it at the time he would fall down the leagues if you look back. Was a shame what happened to him injury wise but that wasn’t the only reason. You have to be mentally strong as well. For me Butcher played a role in Harris not making the most of his time at us.

Kato
19-03-2018, 04:43 PM
Who rated him????

Rowan Vine.

Monts
19-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Garry O'Connor

SRHibs
19-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Garry O'Connor

Should’ve been a goalkeeper.

IGRIGI
19-03-2018, 04:59 PM
Don’t remember Rankin being hero worshipped. Remember him getting a lot of abuse though.

The hero worship came when he joined UTD and going by .net you would've thought we'd let Iniesta go.

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2018, 05:03 PM
Because McGeouch stayed fit. We could do with Fyvie now. He done well most weeks, not just in the cup final. We fell to bits when him and Hanlon got injured in 2016. Dundee United have also fallen to bits since his injury.

DavidDavidGray
19-03-2018, 05:13 PM
James Collins. Saw a few people on here suggesting he was decent a while back, was stunned. Him and Vine must be the worst strike force we have had in goodness knows how long

Peevemor
19-03-2018, 05:14 PM
The hero worship came when he joined UTD and going by .net you would've thought we'd let Iniesta go.

I wouldn't say it was hero worship. I never liked Rankin, but people were (rightly) pointing out that the likes of himself, Spoonie & Liam Craig were playing for teams doing well in the SPL while we were stuck in the 2nd tier.

Things change and we're currently doing fine, but it's normal that people comment on what's going on at any given time.

lyonhibs
19-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Garry O'Connor

Glad you put your head above the parapet on that one.

The first name that springs to mind when this topic comes up for me.

The Modfather
19-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Malonga & Grant Holt. They get better with each season that passes.

greenlex
19-03-2018, 05:24 PM
Boozy. A lot if his passes out wide were head height or above.

Stuart93
19-03-2018, 05:34 PM

Oh, that could be the most controversial yet

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-03-2018, 05:38 PM
Should’ve been a goalkeeper.

Would never have came off his line!

Hiber-nation
19-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Rowan Vine.

:greengrin

snooky
19-03-2018, 05:49 PM
I said it at the time he would fall down the leagues if you look back. Was a shame what happened to him injury wise but that wasn’t the only reason. You have to be mentally strong as well. For me Butcher played a role in Harris not making the most of his time at us.

I always felt he hadn't enough heart to make it. He had enough fitba I'll grant him that.

FRes Hibbie
19-03-2018, 05:54 PM
John McGinn. Allan is a level above.

makaveli1875
19-03-2018, 05:57 PM
Fraser Fyvie

Pretty Boy
19-03-2018, 06:13 PM
Kevin McBride. He was decent for half a season but in that time I remember someone asking if he 'reminded anyone of Pat Stanton'.

Lewis Stevenson. I love Lewis and think he's a cracking player but if he's mentioned on the underrated thread then he has to be in this one as well. He's like the Isaac Newton footballer. For every critic there's an equal and opposite reaction from a fan who won't accept he ever has a bad game.

Michael O'Neill. Great player on his day but a guy time has been kind to. I remember plenty games when things weren't going his way he could be sulky and appear disinterested.

McD
19-03-2018, 06:16 PM
All imo

never thought paco luna was as great as made out to be

craig Brewster

handling

judas
19-03-2018, 06:20 PM
Kevin Harper

horseflesh
19-03-2018, 06:31 PM
All imo

never thought paco luna was as great as made out to be

craig Brewster

handling
Always thought Brewster was a class act and brought out the beat in the players around him.
I remember there being a lot of hype around Kevin Harper when he was a laddie - wasn’t bad, just a bit disappointed.
Mark McGraw was another, just checked his stats and stunned he had 49 appearances

My_Wife_Camille
19-03-2018, 06:58 PM
Mark Oxley, Liam Craig and Fraser Fyvie

3pm
19-03-2018, 07:14 PM
Scott Robertson.

blaikie
19-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Tom Soares

theonlywayisup
19-03-2018, 07:26 PM
I always had a soft spot for Pat McGinlay. Does he come into the underrated or overrated category.

silverhibee
19-03-2018, 07:27 PM
He was class before his move west.

Was he not injured.

ancient hibee
19-03-2018, 07:28 PM
I always had a soft spot for Pat McGinlay. Does he come into the underrated or overrated category.

Yes

Hillsidehibby
19-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Peter Marinello, the new George Best. Now thats hype.

silverhibee
19-03-2018, 07:29 PM

Rankin was a steady player for Hibs who gave his all, a good professional to boot.

Hermit Crab
19-03-2018, 07:30 PM

I agree with this and I would like Hibs to open talks with Celtic to sign him permanently if they haven't already started.

silverhibee
19-03-2018, 07:33 PM

Boozy was a class player imo, my dads opinion of him was so different though, we would watch games and my old man didn't have many good words to say about him..

Funny old game so it is.

silverhibee
19-03-2018, 07:35 PM
Mark Oxley, Liam Craig and Fraser Fyvie

Liam in between two players again.. :greengrin

Austinho
19-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Wolves and Burley both broke their transfer records for Steven Fletcher. He’s moved around for a total of £22 million in his career. Capped multiple times for Scotland.

He may have been overrated, but certainly not at time at Hibs. Who would have predicted the career he’d have when he was with us?

BurghHibby
19-03-2018, 07:46 PM
Billy Findlay - 5 year deal to boot!

Smartie
19-03-2018, 08:17 PM

Boozy spotted the passes better than anyone though.

It was worth having him overhit the odd one, just so we could switch the play to great effect when he got it right.

When we've toiled to create, I've thought "this game's crying out for Boozy" more than any other player, with the possible exception of Scott Allan.

I thought Boozy was magnificent.

snooky
19-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Boozy spotted the passes better than anyone though.

It was worth having him overhit the odd one, just so we could switch the play to great effect when he got it right.

When we've toiled to create, I've thought "this game's crying out for Boozy" more than any other player, with the possible exception of Scott Allan.

I thought Boozy was magnificent.

Both Boozy & Allan have 'the blind pass' in their lockers.

greenlex
19-03-2018, 08:35 PM
I agree with this and I would like Hibs to open talks with Celtic to sign him permanently if they haven't already started.
Who? Allan or McGinn? :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
19-03-2018, 08:48 PM
Most but not all players that have left and become available years later, folk either remember them being much better than they actually were or completely ignore the facts from their records after Hibs.

Is It On....
19-03-2018, 08:49 PM
Cummings.

😂😂😂

jacomo
19-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Wolves and Burley both broke their transfer records for Steven Fletcher. He’s moved around for a total of £22 million in his career. Capped multiple times for Scotland.

He may have been overrated, but certainly not at time at Hibs. Who would have predicted the career he’d have when he was with us?

Mowbray and Venus, apparently.

SirDavidsNapper
19-03-2018, 08:54 PM
😂😂😂

I think the only folk who have overrated Cummings are the Sevconians. You'd think they'd signed Messi not an out of favour English Championship player on loan.

KWJ
19-03-2018, 09:03 PM

Bollocks.

Nobody was saying it at the time before his injury. A post like that when Harris broke into the team would've had this place in meltdown!

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?257983-Alex-Harris-(merged)

LithgaeHibby
19-03-2018, 09:05 PM
Surprised nobody's mentioned Islam Feruz. He was supposed to be the dog's kahunas but in the end he did the square root of hee haw.

BSEJVT
19-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Rating of players is a funny thing.

If I say that McGinn is brilliant and the consensus view is that he is very good does my comment make him over-rated?

Conversely if I say Boyle is okay and the consensus view is that he is very good does my comment make him under-rated?

BTW these aren't my ratings on either player.

You only need to look at a match day thread and for certain players their ratings can be anything from 4-8 according to differing posters.

So much of it pre-ordained by an individuals underlying view of a player and pretty much nothing that player does can ever change that view.

Stevenson & Hanlon alone prove that theory.

From this thread I would disagree of the top of my head with the assertions that McGinn, Fletcher, Boozy and O'Connor were over-rated.

McGinn is a great player who like most great players, value to the team will only really be felt after they are no longer here

Fletcher went on to develop his career fantastically after leaving Hibs before reaching his level then tailing off.

Boozy is comfortably one of the best 20 midfielders I have seen in 50 years watching Hibs

In the season he went to Russia, I thought O'Connor was fantastic, just about unplayable at times. His fall from grace was a huge pity as he should have been Scotland's centre forward for years and years

Is It On....
19-03-2018, 09:17 PM
I think the only folk who have overrated Cummings are the Sevconians. You'd think they'd signed Messi not an out of favour English Championship player on loan.

JC was, and is, a good player. Only the the H#ns (full flavour and diet) would disagree.

Thecat23
19-03-2018, 09:33 PM
Bollocks.

Nobody was saying it at the time before his injury. A post like that when Harris broke into the team would've had this place in meltdown!

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?257983-Alex-Harris-(merged)

Actually there was more than just me who were saying not to hype him to much as he’s still young and got lots to prove. If you think it’s bollocks that’s fine but many seen that folk were jumping the gun with Harris.

19-03-2018, 09:39 PM
Loved the big guy but probably Malonga for me. The way some hibs fans talk about him you'd think he was Messi lol

19-03-2018, 09:41 PM

When Harris first broke into the team he had an absolute stormer against Falkirk in the semi. Looked a very promising young player but sadly never lived up to it. Got a pretty bad injury which kept him out for a while which obviously didn't help but when he came back he just never really sparked. Don't know if the injury set back knocked his confidence or what but I always felt he looked a bit too timid.

Is It On....
19-03-2018, 09:44 PM
Always got abuse for thinking Paul "Kano" Kane was over-rated.

KWJ
19-03-2018, 09:53 PM
Actually there was more than just me who were saying not to hype him to much as he’s still young and got lots to prove. If you think it’s bollocks that’s fine but many seen that folk were jumping the gun with Harris.

I don't say anybody saying it in that merged thread.

His injury came on the first day of the next season and he says himself Butcher put him in too early to a horrible Hibs team.

The hype was justified and his potential wasn't met because of many reasons. I don't think anybody was praising his appearances from 2014 on.

johnbc70
19-03-2018, 09:54 PM
Brian Hamilton did a lot of unseen work I am led to believe, maybe cause I was still young at the time but I never saw it and thought he was pretty poor.

Is It On....
19-03-2018, 10:01 PM
Brian Hamilton did a lot of unseen work I am led to believe, maybe cause I was still young at the time but I never saw it and thought he was pretty poor.

I saw him, and my impression was he was pretty poor although unbelievably he won both Scottish Cup and League Cup medals. After we sold him at (at a profit 😂😂) it all went down hill for Brian!!

DTS
19-03-2018, 10:05 PM
Martin Boyle. One of the most frustrating players in this current team and recent memory

johnbc70
19-03-2018, 10:06 PM
I saw him, and my impression was he was pretty poor although unbelievably he won both Scottish Cup and League Cup medals. After we sold him at (at a profit 😂😂) it all went down hill for Brian!!

Apparently we paid St Mirren £250K for him, we would struggle to pay that now but this was nearly 30 years ago!

sahib
19-03-2018, 10:07 PM
This topic is genius.
It has flushed out all the posters that wouldn't know a decent footballer from a tailor's dummy.

ancient hibee
19-03-2018, 10:25 PM
I always thought Fletcher would have benefited being moved back to midfield.He was a fine athlete and would have been more involved in how the team played.
Brown and Thomson were helped to further their careers by the room Boozy gave them.He could take the ball from them under extreme pressure giving them time to play and learn the game.

Tomsk
19-03-2018, 10:36 PM
This topic is genius.
It has flushed out all the posters that wouldn't know a decent footballer from a tailor's dummy.

Please, enlighten us. Set us on the road to wisdom.

CRAZYHIBBY
19-03-2018, 11:43 PM
Victor palsson or david stephens....and alan O'Brien... was supposed to be better than sproule

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 11:50 PM
Martin Boyle. One of the most frustrating players in this current team and recent memory

😂😂😂😂

One Day Soon
19-03-2018, 11:53 PM
I hate this thread.

IncredibleHibee
19-03-2018, 11:59 PM
Paul Hanlon. Bang average

Johnny_Leith
20-03-2018, 12:27 AM
I can't believe some of the names being posted here. It's all about opinions obviously, but Zemmama?! Steven Fletcher?! Boyler?

Tyler Durden
20-03-2018, 05:52 AM
Jim Leighton. Great in his first season but then pretty average - rubbish at crosses and let’s not start on his distribution

One that I look back and question is Keith Wright too. Controversial and perhaps just my memory but...... he was superb in his first season. Then another good season, maybe 2 with Darren Jackson. But did he get more than maybe 10 goals a season in years 2-4? Then at the point that Jackson was peaking and outgrew Hibs, Wright seemed pretty much finished?

hibbydog
20-03-2018, 06:07 AM
Dean Shiels

Libby Hibby
20-03-2018, 06:23 AM
Clayton Donaldson

Aldoo
20-03-2018, 06:36 AM
Gary Caldwell

eastcoasthibby
20-03-2018, 07:27 AM

Dont see him as overrated just hasnt got his Hibs career going, challenging for a slot in a team set up thats isnt a fit for his style, when he has played for decent partsofgames I think he has done fine, personally I am not sure expectations were massive for him, but more along the fact he is a good Hibby and will play for the jersey when he is fully fit and in the right place ...think he should be classed in the disappointing so far category !!

Hiber-nation
20-03-2018, 07:46 AM
I hate this thread.

Me too. I said close the thread straight after it was posted but obviously there are so many on this board that just have to vent their irrational dislike of certain players at the first available opportunity.

One Day
20-03-2018, 07:57 AM
Jim Leighton. Great in his first season but then pretty average - rubbish at crosses and let’s not start on his distribution

One that I look back and question is Keith Wright too. Controversial and perhaps just my memory but...... he was superb in his first season. Then another good season, maybe 2 with Darren Jackson. But did he get more than maybe 10 goals a season in years 2-4? Then at the point that Jackson was peaking and outgrew Hibs, Wright seemed pretty much finished?

Cant agree with Jim Leighton other than Goram I think he's prob the best keeper I seen at Hibs

Phil MaGlass
20-03-2018, 08:23 AM

This whole post is so hahahahahahaha. Keith Wright, overrated ma erse,
you say "he was superb in his first season. Then another good season, maybe 2" thats 3 good yearsdefinitely not overrated, some folk.
Didnt Leighton get back into the Scotland squad? Thats overrated hahaha

calumhibee1
20-03-2018, 08:32 AM
Me too. I said close the thread straight after it was posted but obviously there are so many on this board that just have to vent their irrational dislike of certain players at the first available opportunity.

Or they want to discuss ex Hibs players on a Hibs forum..

Also, I can’t believe nobody agrees with me on Steven Fletcher :greengrin

hibbysam
20-03-2018, 09:14 AM
Or they want to discuss ex Hibs players on a Hibs forum..

Also, I can’t believe nobody agrees with me on Steven Fletcher :greengrin

Best left peg I’ve witnessed at Hibs and the ability he had was unreal at times.

calumhibee1
20-03-2018, 09:28 AM
Best left peg I’ve witnessed at Hibs and the ability he had was unreal at times.

Leigh Griffiths’ left foot was a wand. Miles ahead of Fletcher IMO.

Hermit Crab
20-03-2018, 09:52 AM
This topic is genius.

Or to put it another way, this thread is full of peoples opinions about current or former Hibs players.

Steve20
20-03-2018, 10:44 AM

As good a player as Allan is, McGinn is a few levels above him. And will go on to have a far better career.

Paul Hanlon. Bang average

Ridiculous. Hanlon has been tremendous for us the last few years.

McPake, Malonga, Luna, Williams and Ian Murray all good shouts on this.

I was originally going to say Stevie Crawford but I can't imagine many people rated him.

Sauzee16
20-03-2018, 10:53 AM
Claros. I didn’t see the love-in.

FRes Hibbie
20-03-2018, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=Steve20;5349222]As good a player as Allan is, McGinn is a few levels above him. And will go on to have a far better career. [QUOTE=Steve20;5349222]

McGinn is good at what he does but our central midfield was one-paced and predictable until we re-signed Allan.

You're probably right that McGinn will end up having a better career but then O'Connor had a better career than Riordan and we all know who the better player was.

hibspayne
20-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Tin Hat at the ready..... and am basing this on the title of the thread Overrated hibs player and it goes to Kenny Miller!!! but i will give me you reasoning as well

When he broke into the first team he was raw talent, but his performances were not down to his skill Brewster did all the donkey work, all the fighting for the ball and made Miller look better than he was at THAT time.... He left us way to soon, he still needed to learn his trade which he did do and went on to become one of Scotlands best! But when he was with us it was the hard work that he didnt do and others did that allowed him to look better than he was back then.....

Just my thoughts and hopefully my reasoning makes it more palatable lol

hibbydog
20-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Tin Hat at the ready..... and am basing this on the title of the thread Overrated hibs player and it goes to Kenny Miller!!! but i will give me you reasoning as well

When he broke into the first team he was raw talent, but his performances were not down to his skill Brewster did all the donkey work, all the fighting for the ball and made Miller look better than he was at THAT time.... He left us way to soon, he still needed to learn his trade which he did do and went on to become one of Scotlands best! But when he was with us it was the hard work that he didnt do and others did that allowed him to look better than he was back then.....

Just my thoughts and hopefully my reasoning makes it more palatable lol

I think you are getting Brewster and Big Mixu confused. Miller and Brewster never played together.

But I get your point. Most of Miller's goals came from heid- down- run -like- hell approach and he relied a lot on Mixu winning the ball. He was fast, a decent finisher and good when he didnt have the time to think, but he was never blessed with the sublime skill that some gave him credit for.

And we did well to get what we got for him, £2m IIRC?

Peevemor
20-03-2018, 01:09 PM
I think you are getting Brewster and Big Mixu confused. Miller and Brewster never played together.

But I get your point. Most of Miller's goals came from heid- down- run -like- hell approach and he relied a lot on Mixu winning the ball. He was fast, a decent finisher and good when he didnt have the time to think, but he was never blessed with the sublime skill that some gave him credit for.

And we did well to get what we got for him, £2m IIRC?

It was GO'C that Brewster "brought on".

snooky
20-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Or to put it another way, this thread is full of peoples opinions about current or former Hibs players.

And the ones who really know a good and bad footballer. :wink: :stirrer:

hibbysam
20-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Leigh Griffiths’ left foot was a wand. Miles ahead of Fletcher IMO.

Having watched Fletcher from around 15/16 the things his left foot could do even outshines LG. His natural talent was extraordinary, he then grew into an outstanding lone centre forward.

calumhibee1
20-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Claros. I didn’t see the love-in.

I liked him as a player but think that was partly down to the fact he got shot in the face and survived. Couldn’t help but love him.

hibspayne
20-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Aye your right Mixu was Miller and Brewster was GoC but point still the same :)

Barman Stanton
20-03-2018, 02:20 PM
People seem to forget that Fletcher played a lot of his games for him at LW. 2 goals in a cup final and plenty caps and games in the Premier. Don't really see him as overrated.

WeeRussell
20-03-2018, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=Steve20;5349222]As good a player as Allan is, McGinn is a few levels above him. And will go on to have a far better career. [QUOTE=Steve20;5349222]

McGinn is good at what he does but our central midfield was one-paced and predictable until we re-signed Allan.

You're probably right that McGinn will end up having a better career but then O'Connor had a better career than Riordan and we all know who the better player was.

Yep, and fletcher had a ‘better’ career Still and wasn’t as good as either in my opinion.

On topic, and going to leave out current players from this:

Grant Holt
Jorge Claros
Niklas Gunnarsson

Stuart93
20-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Jordon Forster, the other threads just reminded me.

RIP Bestie
20-03-2018, 06:51 PM
James McPake wins this contest hands down.
You're welcome to close the thread now.

Tyler Durden
23-03-2018, 10:17 PM
This whole post is so hahahahahahaha. Keith Wright, overrated ma erse,
you say "he was superb in his first season. Then another good season, maybe 2" thats 3 good yearsdefinitely not overrated, some folk.
Didnt Leighton get back into the Scotland squad? Thats overrated hahaha

Glad you were entertained. Just getting round to a reply.

Obviously Keef will always be a legend. But was he that good? Stats are 59 goals in 197 appearances. Let’s say 20 goals in 50 games in his first year.

That means he scored about 40 in 150 games in the next 4–5 years. It’s no very good is it?

So yeah I’m going for Keith Wright - on reflection he’s slightly over rated. Not in the same class as a Garry O’Connor or Steven Fletcher for example.

EDIT - or to frame this a different way. Why did Keith Wright never replicate the form of that first year?

hibsboy69
23-03-2018, 10:31 PM
Thought Zemmama was overrated

Decent skill but a passenger a lot of the time

Fanforlife
23-03-2018, 10:44 PM
Glad you were entertained. Just getting round to a reply.

Obviously Keef will always be a legend. But was he that good? Stats are 59 goals in 197 appearances. Let’s say 20 goals in 50 games in his first year.

That means he scored about 40 in 150 games in the next 4–5 years. It’s no very good is it?

So yeah I’m going for Keith Wright - on reflection he’s slightly over rated. Not in the same class as a Garry O’Connor or Steven Fletcher for example.So Keith having scored in every round in the league cup first season he joined and these all being away from home,helping Hibs win first major honour in 20 years;then going on to average around 10 goals per season for Hibs is overated in your eyes!!Thanks for the laugh but i will file you under deluded 😴

hfc rd
23-03-2018, 10:51 PM
Eoin Doyle. Don’t see what was so special about this guy other than the nickname he had when he joined - The ginger Messi