PDA

View Full Version : Mad Goalkeepers

Waxy
19-03-2018, 11:37 AM
Reading the Rocky thread and as someone says “You have to be mad to be a goalkeeper”

But who’s the most bonkers in your opinion?

Pretty Boy
19-03-2018, 11:45 AM
People will say Budgie but he was deemed mad because, in some ways, he was ahead of his time. When he started playing a warm up for many players consisted off a quick fag and listening to the racing on the radio. He went out on the park and warmed up properly which was pretty much unseen. Take out the handstands and it was actually a pretty good dynamic warm up.

Speaking from experience I don't think you have to be mad to be a keeper but you need to have plenty character. Every decision is split second, every mistake is noticed and, like a referee, everyone thinks they can do your job better than you can. If you don't have plenty self belief and broad shoulders you will start to sttuggle very quickly. Most mistakes when a keeper is on a poor run of form aren't down to bad technique, it's mental and bad decision making.

In answer to your question Rene Higuita takes some beating. Maverick keeper, messenger for Escobar, kidnapper, cocaine addict and plastic surgery fan.

Hibbyradge
19-03-2018, 11:52 AM
In answer to your question Rene Higuita takes some beating. Maverick keeper, messenger for Escobar, kidnapper, cocaine addict and plastic surgery fan.

:agree:

And here's some proof;

https://youtu.be/p-flTPSSvCw

danhibees1875
19-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Stack.

I'm sure he had "egg fried rice" tattoo'd on his torso.

SRHibs
19-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Logan was a mad genius. His intimidation of the Dundee United players during penalties was absolutely top drawer.

SirDavidsNapper
19-03-2018, 12:06 PM
People will say Budgie but he was deemed mad because, in some ways, he was ahead of his time. When he started playing a warm up for many players consisted off a quick fag and listening to the racing on the radio. He went out on the park and warmed up properly which was pretty much unseen. Take out the handstands and it was actually a pretty good dynamic warm up.

Speaking from experience I don't think you have to be mad to be a keeper but you need to have plenty character. Every decision is split second, every mistake is noticed and, like a referee, everyone thinks they can do your job better than you can. If you don't have plenty self belief and broad shoulders you will start to sttuggle very quickly. Most mistakes when a keeper is on a poor run of form aren't down to bad technique, it's mental and bad decision making.

He was a bit mad though wasn't he :faf:

McSwanky
19-03-2018, 12:13 PM
John Martin's got to be up there...

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 12:15 PM

Yes, he made a lot of people mad alright.

Shrekko
19-03-2018, 12:17 PM

This thread's about mad one's not scab one's.

Greentinted
19-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Hugh Sproat was a bit of a radge as were:
Alan Rough
Hamish McAlpine
Jorge Campos (Mexican international who doubled up as a centre-forward)
Bruce Grobbelaar
Artur Boruc
David James (apparently a diagnosed clinical psychopath)
The Peruvian guy from the 78 World Cup, Ramón Quiroga known as ‘El Loco’
Harald Schumacher
Andy Goram
And the other Andy Goram!

Northernhibee
19-03-2018, 12:36 PM
Logan was a mad genius. His intimidation of the Dundee United players during penalties was absolutely top drawer.

Yep. Brilliant stuff.

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 12:36 PM
The guy that done the Scorpion at Wembley.

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 12:37 PM
Yep. Brilliant stuff.

Is there a link to the penalties anywhere? It would be appreciated.

Catch22
19-03-2018, 12:38 PM
Jens Lehmann ?

Oscar T Grouch
19-03-2018, 12:41 PM

As mentioned by PB above, that was Rene Higuita, all round nutcase and friend and colleague of a couple of drug lords :wink:

Pete
19-03-2018, 12:42 PM
This thread's about mad one's not scab one's.

What’s the story with that?

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 12:45 PM
As mentioned by PB above, that was Rene Higuita, all round nutcase and friend and colleague of a couple of drug lords :wink:

Sorry, didn’t realise it was the same chap:)

Greentinted
19-03-2018, 12:45 PM
What’s the story with that?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/final-curtain-john-martin-s-last-senior-game-cowdenbeath-1-alloa-2-25-august-2001-1-1028837

overdrive
19-03-2018, 12:46 PM

He's the one in the video above. If Oxley had done some of Higuita's rampages up the pitch, he'd have probably scored double figures for us :greengrin

Monts
19-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Zibi was bloody mental

Ringothedog
19-03-2018, 12:48 PM
Zibi was bloody mental

Naw, just sheeiite

MB62
19-03-2018, 12:49 PM
Robin Rae.

Did he not get arrested the night before a game at Dundee when he smacked a policeman with a milk crate, leaving Roughie to play the game with a broken ankle? :greengrin

SRHibs
19-03-2018, 12:49 PM
Olly Gottskálksson is a bit of a radge off the park: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ólafur_Gottskálksson

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 12:50 PM
He's the one in the video above. If Oxley had done some of Higuita's rampages up the pitch, he'd have probably scored double figures for us :greengrin

Videos not showing on the iPad for some reason but thanks 😀

SRHibs
19-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Is there a link to the penalties anywhere? It would be appreciated.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XdLK33NB4P8

There’s a link to the full highlights on the side bar too.

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Did Pat McGinley go in goal for us in a replay at Forthbank one time? Chris Reid sent off? Sure it was foggy as.

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 12:52 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XdLK33NB4P8

There’s a link to the full highlights on the side bar too.

Thanks mate appreciated.

overdrive
19-03-2018, 12:56 PM
Olly Gottskálksson is a bit of a radge off the park: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ólafur_Gottskálksson

Does Iceland not have the lowest crime rate in the world? He must account for at least half of it :greengrin

Pete
19-03-2018, 12:57 PM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/final-curtain-john-martin-s-last-senior-game-cowdenbeath-1-alloa-2-25-august-2001-1-1028837

Cheers, didn’t realise he was from Prestonpans. Going by other interviews he seems fairly unrepentant.

Pete
19-03-2018, 01:00 PM
Hugh Sproat was a bit of a radge as were:
Alan Rough
Hamish McAlpine
Jorge Campos (Mexican international who doubled up as a centre-forward)
Bruce Grobbelaar
Artur Boruc
David James (apparently a diagnosed clinical psychopath)
The Peruvian guy from the 78 World Cup, Ramón Quiroga known as ‘El Loco’
Harald Schumacher
Andy Goram
And the other Andy Goram!

Campos also used to design his own goalkeeper strips and they were wacky to say the least...also one of the smallest professional keepers I’ve ever seen.

Got away with murder when facing penalties at the World Cup in 1994

Pretty Boy
19-03-2018, 01:04 PM
He was a bit mad though wasn't he :faf:

Don't get me wrong he was absolutely off his head.

Greentinted
19-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Campos also used to design his own goalkeeper strips and they were wacky to say the least...also one of the smallest professional keepers I’ve ever seen.

Got away with murder when facing penalties at the World Cup in 1994

And possibly the only first choice goalie who had no.9 as his squad number (before the squad number business was ubiquitous).

SirDavidsNapper
19-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Zibi was bloody mental

Thought the thread was about goalkeepers :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
19-03-2018, 04:11 PM

Someone’s been on the updates ;)

Career highlights and awards
As player

Icelandic Basketball Cup (1994)

snooky
19-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Cheers, didn’t realise he was from Prestonpans. Going by other interviews he seems fairly unrepentant.

Played for Tranent Juniors as well. Brave to the point of being suicidal, IIRC.

HappyAsHellas
19-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Robin Rae.

Did he not get arrested the night before a game at Dundee when he smacked a policeman with a milk crate, leaving Roughie to play the game with a broken ankle? :greengrin

Believe he got stopped on the Mound whilst drunk driving and when asked if he was the owner of the vehicle replied "Nah I effing stole it" which heralded the end of his Hibs career. The info came from a Mr Stanton who was our manager at the time.

snooky
19-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Believe he got stopped on the Mound whilst drunk driving and when asked if he was the owner of the vehicle replied "Nah I effing stole it" which heralded the end of his Hibs career. The info came from a Mr Stanton who was our manager at the time.

Honesty is the best policy, they say :nerd:

makaveli1875
19-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Surprised nobody mentioned the mad monk

The Spaceman
19-03-2018, 06:12 PM
Didn't Nick Colgan have a punch up on the park?
:tee hee:

Outside of Hibs, Pinto at Barcelona was an utter nut job. Oliver Kahn at Bayern was also rather intimidating!

basehibby
19-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Budgie was reputed to watch every FA Cup Final at home on his couch in his full keeper gear - gloves and all - recreating the saves on the sofa and it's environs as the game unfolded.

snooky
19-03-2018, 06:16 PM
Didn't Nick Colgan have a punch up on the park?
:tee hee:

Outside of Hibs, Pinto at Barcelona was an utter nut job. Oliver Kahn at Bayern was also rather intimidating!

As an English comedian once said re. Kahn, "Is that not a face you would see peering out the top of a Panzer".
Totally non-pc - but it made me laugh at the time.

Scouse Hibee
19-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Grobelaar
Campos
Gatti aka El Loco

Ryan69
20-03-2018, 05:20 AM
Favourite Goalkeeper of all time is

Jose Luis Chilavert.
Brilliant goalie,bat5hit crazy,true leader...and an amazing free kick taker too.

Hit the bar against England in the world cup too.

Forza Fred
20-03-2018, 06:48 AM
Anti Niemi

Not getting that Scotland call up sent him over the edge

Hermit Crab
20-03-2018, 09:43 AM

Once a scab always a scab, there are people this day in towns and villages who are shunned for crossing the picket lines and not just miners either.

Greenbeard
20-03-2018, 10:03 AM
:agree:

And here's some proof;

https://youtu.be/p-flTPSSvCw

Vision and skill amazing. Would need a few more defibs around the ground if he was one of ours. Hope Rocky isn't inspired by watching this.

overdrive
20-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Vision and skill amazing. Would need a few more defibs around the ground if he was one of ours. Hope Rocky isn't inspired by watching this.

Judging by Friday, perhaps he has been inspired :wink:

hibbydog
20-03-2018, 06:17 PM
Budgie wins the likeable mad goalie award

He has a bit in his book about riding motorbike to training one day and realising that someone had ‘crapped in his helmet’ overnight.

Brilliant!

hibsbollah
20-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Favourite Goalkeeper of all time is

Jose Luis Chilavert.
Brilliant goalie,bat5hit crazy,true leader...and an amazing free kick taker too.

Hit the bar against England in the world cup too.

Chilavert is the winner. Scored 67 goals in his career. He's a goalie, taking pens and free kicks. Ridiculous. Including 8 goals in internationals. Also attacked Maradona and Tino Asprilla (separate incidents) and got a suspended prison sentence for punching his psychiatrist.

tamig
20-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Once a scab always a scab, there are people this day in towns and villages who are shunned for crossing the picket lines and not just miners either.

The worst thing about JM is he was getting a wage from football at the time while a lot of other guys in the town had been on strike for momths living on handouts from the Labour Club.

Haymaker
20-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Chilavert is the winner. Scored 67 goals in his career. He's a goalie, taking pens and free kicks. Ridiculous. Including 8 goals in internationals. Also attacked Maradona and Tino Asprilla (separate incidents) and got a suspended prison sentence for punching his psychiatrist.

Absolute Loon. Was always my first signing on Champ man a few years back!

Lancs Harp
20-03-2018, 08:08 PM

Nice post PB but sorry its Budgie.:greengrin

First came across him playing for Blackpool in the 70s. He used to do handstands in the penalty area when the ball was at the other end, crowd loved it. Football mad and indeed a bit mad. I believe he played for over 20 different clubs (thats actually played for not just signed on for) Blackpool I think was the team he played most for but Hibs was one of his longer stays too. One of the games top personalities.

hibsbollah
20-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Absolute Loon. Was always my first signing on Champ man a few years back!

I've been trying to find a keeper that takes free kicks in fifa 18 but sadly there doesn't seem to be one. Is there a keeper that takes his clubs pens somewhere in the world these days I wonder?

G B Young
20-03-2018, 08:19 PM

Largely by narrow minded militants who remain blinkered to the fact that so-called scabs weren't to blame for the premature end of the mining industry. More than anyone, Arthur Scargill brought about its calamitous end by his egotistical leadership of the NUM and his crazy refusal to call for a national strike ballot which meant many miners, most especially in the Midlands and North Wales, refused to strike.

Martin had a thick enough skin ("I'm not really interested in what people do or don't call me. It's never been a problem to me. I don't care a s**t - not one s**t") to handle the abuse but there were many others for whom returning to work was a brave, rather than selfish decision.

Ryan69
20-03-2018, 08:23 PM

Did you see the one where he got sent off,and walked to the away bench and knocked one of the players clean off it..lol

Ryan69
20-03-2018, 08:25 PM
I've been trying to find a keeper that takes free kicks in fifa 18 but sadly there doesn't seem to be one. Is there a keeper that takes his clubs pens somewhere in the world these days I wonder?

There may be a couple of South American teams...but nowhere near the level of Chilavert unfortunately.

hibsbollah
20-03-2018, 08:28 PM
Did you see the one where he got sent off,and walked to the away bench and knocked one of the players clean off it..lol

I may have to dip into YouTube to search for this later on :faf:

overdrive
20-03-2018, 09:40 PM
I may have to dip into YouTube to search for this later on :faf:

There’s one that Carragher would be proud of too. Roberto Carlos (the real one, not the Gambian one) goes up to shake his hand at the end, they have a wee cuddle and Chilavert gobs in Carlos’ face :faf:

G B Young
20-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Pictures 10 and 11 in this gallery show Darren Jackson and Graham Mitchell donning the keeper's jersey for Hibs:

https://www.scotsman.com/image-gallery/in-pictures-things-we-no-longer-see-in-scottish-football-1-4708346/4708347/img14708341

Haymaker
20-03-2018, 11:33 PM
There may be a couple of South American teams...but nowhere near the level of Chilavert unfortunately.

Rogerio Cerni (sp) was until recently but I think he has retired.