PDA

View Full Version : Refereeing - Thompson next up

houstonhibbee
18-03-2018, 11:15 PM
Another hopeless decision by another useless cretin masquerading as a top class referee
Time the clubs got together and did something

snooky
18-03-2018, 11:34 PM
Another hopeless decision by another useless cretin masquerading as a top class referee

Help ma Boab. Hold the headlines!

houstonhibbee
18-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Help ma Boab. Hold the headlines!so ok quelle surprise but you're just happy to accept the status quo?

snooky
19-03-2018, 12:10 AM
so ok quelle surprise but you're just happy to accept the status quo?

Sorry HH, we seem to be having a wee misunderstanding.
Help ma Boab - its Thompson!"
"Hold the headlines for yet another shocking refereeing performance" was what I was meaning.

houstonhibbee
19-03-2018, 01:27 AM
Sorry HH, we seem to be having a wee misunderstanding.
Help ma Boab - its Thompson!"
"Hold the headlines for yet another shocking refereeing performance" was what I was meaning.
Sorry humour failure at my end. Just so sick of the injustice of it all - even after my 59 years. We really do need to get foreign referees.

HoboHarry
19-03-2018, 01:51 AM
Sorry humour failure at my end. Just so sick of the injustice of it all - even after my 59 years. We really do need to get foreign referees.
You think the clubs will agree to pay all of the associated costs involved with bringing in foreign referees over a long period of time?

eastcoasthibby
19-03-2018, 05:47 AM
Extra costs would that mean paying more.than the £700 or so a game that this lot get that referee here ...do our lot not get expenses as well. An extra couple of hundred quid might actually prove goodvue for money !!!
If its not £700 or so a game I stand corrected ..hope its less not more 😁

Danderhall Hibs
19-03-2018, 06:08 AM
Extra costs would that mean paying more.than the £700 or so a game that this lot get that referee here ...do our lot not get expenses as well. An extra couple of hundred quid might actually prove goodvue for money !!!

I think they’re on £850 a match. More than a lot of the players in the league are.

GloryGlory
19-03-2018, 06:36 AM
I think they’re on £850 a match. More than a lot of the players in the league are.

Maybe that's why some of them seem to think they're the stars of the show, not the players! :greengrin

calumhibee1
19-03-2018, 06:39 AM

Sounds about right. If they’re refereeing a game without one of the top 4 or Hearts in it there’s a good chance they’ll be the best paid person on the pitch. Ridiculous. And I’m sure they’re part time aswell?

One Day
19-03-2018, 06:42 AM
Maybe that's why some of them seem to think they're the stars of the show, not the players! :greengrin

This certainly seem to be the case with a few of them

vuefrom1875
19-03-2018, 07:11 AM

He retires at the end of this season so he'll be able to renew his tramps season ticket. Wan#er.

staunchhibby
19-03-2018, 07:14 AM
Once again another incompetent display from our so called competent referees.

Danderhall Hibs
19-03-2018, 07:22 AM
Sounds about right. If they’re refereeing a game without one of the top 4 or Hearts in it there’s a good chance they’ll be the best paid person on the pitch. Ridiculous. And I’m sure they’re part time aswell?

:agree: they’ve all got real jobs as well.

One Day Soon
19-03-2018, 07:39 AM
Are we saying that these incompetent jokers are earning at least approximately £3,400 per four week month for being crap/corrupt at the task of refereeing? How many games do they get to ref per season because I'd love to know what this gig is worth to them annually?

And they are in no way publicly accountable at all. Seems legit.

Danderhall Hibs
19-03-2018, 07:46 AM
Are we saying that these incompetent jokers are earning at least approximately £3,400 per four week month for being crap/corrupt at the task of refereeing? How many games do they get to ref per season because I'd love to know what this gig is worth to them annually?

And they are in no way publicly accountable at all. Seems legit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/14064682

£840 back in 2011. I’d imagine over the last 7 years they’ve had a few increases though.

CropleyWasGod

And they are in no way publicly accountable at all. Seems legit.They are paid different amounts for different leagues. They don't ref every week.

In addition, they don't get expenses. They have to meet the costs of their own travel, kit, training courses, subs etc.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

jgl07
Is his name not Thomson?

I thought for one moment there were two of them. Thomson and Thompson?

hibbysam
19-03-2018, 07:50 AM
They are paid different amounts for different leagues. They don't ref every week.

In addition, they don't get expenses. They have to meet the costs of their own travel, kit, training courses, subs etc.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Don’t the home club still sort out travel for them? Hibs certainly used to have a wee 8 seater thing cart them to and from the ground. That was a few years back mind but I can’t see why that would change.

Hiber-nation
19-03-2018, 08:01 AM
Is his name not Thomson?

If there are any top flight refs with the surname Thompson they'd still be useless :wink:

worcesterhibby
19-03-2018, 09:02 AM
Ok Tin Hat on here. I am in no way suggesting that there is not some bias involved with some referees, but I do think we need to look at the way football treats referees if we want to find the root of the problem here.

Basically being a referee is a completely thankless task, in fact I'm surprised we don't have a massive shortage of refs. To get to the stage that you are being paid £850 a game, you have to come up through the ranks, which involves the constant verbal and often physical abuse that is ladled out to refs up and down the land. Unless you are of the mentality that actually likes getting abuse and enjoys flashing yellow and red cards at people, why the hell would you want to get involved with refereeing at non professional level? there is certainly no money in it until you are much higher up the rankings. So basically, the way we treat referee's as amateur players and as fans, leads us to get a bunch of weirdos as pro refs, because intelligent, articulate, capable people with good judgement and a strong fairplay ethic, are unlikley to want to put up with all the hassle and abuse. Until refs start getting protection and respect from the lowest levels of football to the top level, we will continue to get an odd bunch of fairly incompetent and sometimes biased referees at the top level.

I also suspect that there are football fans on club forums right across the world, suggesting that they need to get "foreign" refs in because theirs are rubbish. In the world scheme of things, I doubt Scottish Refs are that much worst that Refs in most other countries.

Phil MaGlass
19-03-2018, 09:06 AM

How much is it costing Hibs at the moment with all these wrong decisions, way more than a couple of thousand i would say.

CropleyWasGod
19-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Don’t the home club still sort out travel for them? Hibs certainly used to have a wee 8 seater thing cart them to and from the ground. That was a few years back mind but I can’t see why that would change.

You might be right in that. I used to act for a Grade 1 ref, but that was a few years ago.

snooky
19-03-2018, 09:30 AM
How much is it costing Hibs at the moment with all these wrong decisions, way more than a couple of thousand i would say.

I was just about to say that.
I am quite prepared to give a ref a good bit of leeway as there's no doubt it's a difficult job. However, when the bad decisions flow only one way for several seasons and more, my tolerance takes a big hit.
Sparky's 'no goal' cost us fortune alone.

poolman
19-03-2018, 09:50 AM
Is his name not Thomson?

I think they're the two detectives from Tintin :greengrin

Hibbyradge
19-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Ok Tin Hat on here. I am in no way suggesting that there is not some bias involved with some referees, but I do think we need to look at the way football treats referees if we want to find the root of the problem here.

Basically being a referee is a completely thankless task, in fact I'm surprised we don't have a massive shortage of refs. To get to the stage that you are being paid £850 a game, you have to come up through the ranks, which involves the constant verbal and often physical abuse that is ladled out to refs up and down the land. Unless you are of the mentality that actually likes getting abuse and enjoys flashing yellow and red cards at people, why the hell would you want to get involved with refereeing at non professional level? there is certainly no money in it until you are much higher up the rankings. So basically, the way we treat referee's as amateur players and as fans, leads us to get a bunch of weirdos as pro refs, because intelligent, articulate, capable people with good judgement and a strong fairplay ethic, are unlikley to want to put up with all the hassle and abuse. Until refs start getting protection and respect from the lowest levels of football to the top level, we will continue to get an odd bunch of fairly incompetent and sometimes biased referees at the top level.

I also suspect that there are football fans on club forums right across the world, suggesting that they need to get "foreign" refs in because theirs are rubbish. In the world scheme of things, I doubt Scottish Refs are that much worst that Refs in most other countries.

I agree.

Poor decisions are made in every league in the world and every club thinks that they are getting a raw deal.

Fans remember when a decision went against their team, but quickly forget the occasions on which they benefitted.

The idea that Scotland can't produce decent referees is a fallacy and insulting to the population.

Was it a Scottish referee during the Germany v England game when Lampard's goal was disallowed although it was clearly over the line, a la Griffith's?

Oh how we laughed.

https://youtu.be/o5QlBHF6ib8

snooky
19-03-2018, 10:03 AM
I agree.

Poor decisions are made in every league in the world and every club thinks that they are getting a raw deal.

Fans remember when a decision went against their team, but quickly forget the occasions on which they benefitted.

The idea that Scotland can't produce decent referees is a fallacy and insulting to the population.

Was it a Scottish referee during the Germany v England game when Lampard's goal was disallowed although it was clearly over the line, a la Griffith's?

Oh how we laughed.

https://youtu.be/o5QlBHF6ib8

Can you tell me the last time a team scored against us ( i.e. ball over the line) and it was disallowed.

hibbysam
19-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Can you tell me the last time a team scored against us ( i.e. ball over the line) and it was disallowed.

That reminds me of the beauty we got against Dunfermline in 2012 in the relegation game. Hanlons shot off the bar and must’ve came about 2 yards out the way, goal given. Not that it made a difference to the result but very amusing.

Hibbyradge
19-03-2018, 10:08 AM

I can't remember one and there's never been one as blatant as Griffith's.

What's your point, though?

I remember the Dundee United "goal" against Patrick. What a farce that was.

CropleyWasGod
19-03-2018, 10:11 AM

In reverse, it has happened.

Paul Hanlon was awarded a goal a few years ago, when the ball didn't cross the line.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/hanlon-surprised-that-goal-was-given-1-2285146

Hibbyradge
19-03-2018, 10:14 AM
1 min 10 seconds

https://youtu.be/xKuLtLXl7FI

Dashing Bob S
19-03-2018, 10:16 AM
:agree: they’ve all got real jobs as well.

Can only hope they are more competent at those than they are at their hobbies.

danhibees1875
19-03-2018, 11:59 AM
Reading the saints message board and they thought the ref was awful on Friday and Hibs, particularly Mcginn, were a bunch of hatchetmen.

I imagine they, and the other 10 teams, will be able to reel off decisions that have cost them in the last 5 years and how that makes the refs corrupt against them.

houstonhibbee
19-03-2018, 12:24 PM
Is his name not Thomson?

You're just taking the P's:greengrin

houstonhibbee
19-03-2018, 12:29 PM

Change will only happen if we make it happen. Media are happy to have those two dominate so if we accept it we have to put up with it ad infiniitum

ian cruise
19-03-2018, 01:14 PM
Can only hope they are more competent at those than they are at their hobbies.

Some friends and myself were having a chat about referees on Friday night as it turns out a few of them know some of the refs through their other jobs. Turns out most are actually very good. More interesting was that they all spoke very highly of Neil Lennon though they do say he's mental for the 90 minutes the match is on.

snooky
19-03-2018, 01:20 PM
You're just taking the P's:greengrin

:agree: Why doesn't Thompson just P-off forever.

snooky
19-03-2018, 06:59 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43460488

Surely he hasn't got it wrong AGAIN!

danhibees1875
20-03-2018, 06:43 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43460488

Surely he hasn't got it wrong AGAIN!

I don't think it was worthy of a red, but motioning your foot towards another player the way he seemed to could make it look like a stamp when you get a glance of it and makes the ref have to make a call.

eastcoasthibby
20-03-2018, 07:47 PM

Yip ..I certainly know a couple in good well paid jobs and getting another £850 too, along with their time of work to allow them to get along.to games midweek especially ....overpaid untouchable and hopeless ...they must be in dreamland !!

steelendhibs
20-03-2018, 08:10 PM
The motherwell one was a red card. As soft as it was, he kicked out. Like a boiled egg....soft or hard, it's still a boiled egg.

WhileTheChief..
20-03-2018, 08:13 PM
Motherwell have had 5 red cards this season.

Every one of them was from Thompson. Conspiracy or bias against them?:confused:

danhibees1875
21-03-2018, 10:14 AM
Motherwell have had 5 red cards this season.

Every one of them was from Thompson. Conspiracy or bias against them?:confused:

Only because they were chasing Hearts, and CT wanted to get one over in Hibs. :agree:

Every one of those red cards were soft boiled eggs, as they say these days.

emerald green
21-03-2018, 04:17 PM
The views of a former referee Charlie Richmond. Guess who is in the spotlight again.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/aberdeen/rumour-mill-no-consequences-for-poor-refs-mcinnes-eyes-england-return-sutton-blasts-barton-1-4708745