PDA

View Full Version : Golf 2018

Godsahibby
18-03-2018, 07:10 PM
After a bleak start to the year I thought it would be good to get the clubs dusted off and get out playing. I headed up North this weekend hoping to get a few rounds in, unfortunately the weather still not playing ball so only managed the one round at Brora on Saturday, the snow at Dornoch today closed the top course. 45mph winds and -5 windchill hardly the best golf conditions, I think I will put the clubs back away until April! Mt mate has always said the Masters means the start of the new season, I think he might be on to something with that!

BroxburnHibee
18-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Played most Saturdays through the winter at Turnhouse and for once I'm confident it's helped me for the coming season so hopefully get the handicap down a bit.

Had a wee break in Alicante in January as well where I won the spoils 2 days out of 3 so it's all looking good.

Maybe the long discussed Dotnet golf day might happen this year too. :greengrin

Godsahibby
18-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Not had much of a chance to play over the winter as i decided to leave Baberton at the end of the season in November. Got fed up of the never ended work on the course so been looking to move elsewhere. Looking down the east coast and thinking about Dunbar.

The dotnet Golf day has turned into the new holy grail for Hibees since the Scottish cup win!!

greenlex
18-03-2018, 08:02 PM
Haven’t played since September 2016 as Ive had back trouble. I’m on the mend they tell me so looking forward to this season. Kicking off next weekend with a trip to Craigielaw and Gullane. As you can imagine I’m looking forward to it. It will either kill me or cure me.

ACLeith
18-03-2018, 08:15 PM
Managed to play most weeks during the winter at Winterfield. Retirement is great for that! Great condition last week considering recent snow and rain. Major improvements on and off the course last couple of years.

Would love to be involved in a .net golf day

Golden Bear
19-03-2018, 03:57 PM
I've had a few games over both Dunbar & Gullane and the occasional game over my home course on the few occasions it's been playable. I've also been a fairly frequent visitor to the Braids driving range so all in all I've done enough to prevent the rust from forming. I've a game arranged over Gullane 1 tomorrow so I'm really looking forward to that, especially as the weather forecast looks reasonable.

The season is supposed to start this coming weekend with a friendly Texas Scramble format on Saturday then the traditional Captains v Vice Captain Challenge on Sunday. Let's hope the weather relents as the course is still covered in snow at the moment.

New season, fresh hopes spring eternal, no doubt soon to be shattered!

:greengrin

Golden Bear
19-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Managed to play most weeks during the winter at Winterfield. Retirement is great for that! Great condition last week considering recent snow and rain. Major improvements on and off the course last couple of years.

Would love to be involved in a .net golf day

I'd actually forgot about Winterfield, I hear it offers good value for money over the winter months. Must keep it in mind for the future.

ACLeith
20-03-2018, 02:20 PM
I'd actually forgot about Winterfield, I hear it offers good value for money over the winter months. Must keep it in mind for the future.

A 6 month membership October to March this past winter cost £123 to play the course with a further £50 for full membership to allow you to play in competitions. Lower cost for younger and older players.

Targeted at members of other clubs whose course might be regularly closed over the winter or who don’t want to play with mats or to temporary greens. I played today and you would not think the course was closed because of the snow 48 hours ago.

It’s a very friendly club with good rapport between members, the 2 professionals, greenkeeping and clubhouse staff. Although it’s a short course, the tough par 3s make it hard to play to your handicap, and that’s before you think of the wind! It has IMO one of the best par 3s in the area – and I don’t mean the 1st hole!

greenlex
20-03-2018, 04:05 PM
A 6 month membership October to March this past winter cost £123 to play the course with a further £50 for full membership to allow you to play in competitions. Lower cost for younger and older players.

Targeted at members of other clubs whose course might be regularly closed over the winter or who don’t want to play with mats or to temporary greens. I played today and you would not think the course was closed because of the snow 48 hours ago.

It’s a very friendly club with good rapport between members, the 2 professionals, greenkeeping and clubhouse staff. Although it’s a short course, the tough par 3s make it hard to play to your handicap, and that’s before you think of the wind! It has IMO one of the best par 3s in the area – and I don’t mean the 1st hole!
14th? Excellent test in both calm and windy conditions.

Golden Bear
20-03-2018, 04:06 PM

Great value for money and one which I'll consider come October this year. I'll try and get together a fourball and maybe take turns at the driving duties, it's not much fun joining another course on your own as you want to be sure of a game.

Thanks for the info.

Golden Bear
20-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Haven’t played since September 2016 as Ive had back trouble. I’m on the mend they tell me so looking forward to this season. Kicking off next weekend with a trip to Craigielaw and Gullane. As you can imagine I’m looking forward to it. It will either kill me or cure me.

I'm not long back from an excellent day over Gullane 1.

Fantastic weather and the course was in great nick only a few patches of snow in some of the bunkers. No mud either, what a treat for someone who plays an inland course. Preferred lies are in operation but to be honest there was no need. Only downside of the day was that me and my playing companion got a severe thumping from a couple of high handicap bandits. :grr:

ACLeith
20-03-2018, 04:56 PM
14th? Excellent test in both calm and windy conditions.

Yup. Every shot a challenge. Never a straight putt either!

ACLeith
20-03-2018, 05:06 PM
Great value for money and one which I'll consider come October this year. I'll try and get together a fourball and maybe take turns at the driving duties, it's not much fun joining another course on your own as you want to be sure of a game.

Thanks for the info.

Not sure of your circumstances GB but a group play every Tuesday morning. Open to anyone who turns up, regularly around 15-20. Newcomers always welcome unless they run off first time with the cash!!

Golden Bear
20-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Not sure of your circumstances GB but a group play every Tuesday morning. Open to anyone who turns up, regularly around 15-20. Newcomers always welcome unless they run off first time with the cash!!

Thanks, good to know. I'll spread the gospel and see if I can muster a couple of others.

ACLeith
21-03-2018, 07:47 AM
Thanks, good to know. I'll spread the gospel and see if I can muster a couple of others.

Just to clarify GB. when I said open to all I meant all club members. You probably realised that but I wanted to be sure. If you join us with the 6 month membership (or even for 12 months!) then we would be delighted if you joined the Tuesday gang . Keep me posted

Golden Bear
21-03-2018, 07:58 AM
Just to clarify GB. when I said open to all I meant all club members. You probably realised that but I wanted to be sure. If you join us with the 6 month membership (or even for 12 months!) then we would be delighted if you joined the Tuesday gang . Keep me posted

:aok:

Thanks AC - food for thought come September. I will try and persuade a couple of colleagues to consider winter membership, apart from anything else it always helps with the travelling/cost arrangements.

ACLeith
21-03-2018, 03:26 PM

Thanks AC - food for thought come September. I will try and persuade a couple of colleagues to consider winter membership, apart from anything else it always helps with the travelling/cost arrangements.

If you wanted a game before then and to get a feel for the club then I would be happy to have you come along as my guest. Just let me know nearer the time.

Golden Bear
21-03-2018, 04:57 PM
If you wanted a game before then and to get a feel for the club then I would be happy to have you come along as my guest. Just let me know nearer the time.

Thanks for that.

frazeHFC
22-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Bubba Watson hitting a 3-iron 366 yards is frightening. Downwind/downhill but still remarkable.

In other news pish start to 2018 for me as usual.

Godsahibby
03-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Big weekend for the golf. Been playing a fair bit since joining Dunbar but heading up the road tomorrow for a comp at Dornoch on Saturday. Few games over the weeekend at Dornoch and Brora. New sticks in the bag and the sun will be shining, links golf doesn’t get much better than that.

Golden Bear
06-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Big weekend for the golf. Been playing a fair bit since joining Dunbar but heading up the road tomorrow for a comp at Dornoch on Saturday. Few games over the weeekend at Dornoch and Brora. New sticks in the bag and the sun will be shining, links golf doesn’t get much better than that.

Royal Dornoch is a fantastic course, it will test all your golfing skills without being overly long. I used to play in the Carnegie Shield which takes place in early August and usually managed to qualify for the matchplay stages but then got inevitably thumped in the early rounds.

As for Dunbar, then I've managed to fit in at least a weekly round since I joined about 6 weeks ago . I'm sure you'll agree that the course is in pretty good nick and with me being brought up on an inland course then I fully appreciate the merits of coming off the course mud free! I've found it a very friendly Club and I'm thoroughly enjoying the different challenges that the course offers.

greenlex
06-05-2018, 08:06 PM
I’m playing but not as near regularly as I would like. Still struggling with my back and just papping it round. Haven’t broke 80 since I started playing again. 👎

Golden Bear
07-05-2018, 01:48 PM
I’m playing but not as near regularly as I would like. Still struggling with my back and just papping it round. Haven’t broke 80 since I started playing again. 👎

Persevere Lex, hopefully things will get better for you.

greenlex
07-05-2018, 02:22 PM
Persevere Lex, hopefully things will get better for you.
I’ve been given the number of a Physio in Wishaw who has straightened out a few guys at my club so fingers crossed. He was at Celtic for a number of years and some players still go to him. Did some pitching and putting this afternoon and even that hurt. Persevere.:agree:

greenlex
12-05-2018, 06:09 PM
Played Dundas Parks today. I think I played it a good number of years ago but don’t remember any if it. Nine holer. Have to say it was in lovely condition. Greens were superb. The course itself is pretty average. No holes that are brilliant but neither has it any weak holes. Some of the rhododendron bushes were stunning. Very Augustesque. Back still not great and was reflected in the golf. Nice day for it.

blackpoolhibs
24-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Played http://www.carusgreen.co.uk/ today, what a place and what a fantastic course.

Just the 44 points. :wink:

2nd had 36. :greengrin

Golden Bear
25-05-2018, 09:17 PM
I had a hole in one at the 16th hole at Dunbar yesterday, very pleasing and I even got a certificate to mark the occasion. Happy Days.

Godsahibby
25-05-2018, 09:37 PM
I had a hole in one at the 16th hole at Dunbar yesterday, very pleasing and I even got a certificate to mark the occasion. Happy Days.

Congratulations mate. Great hole to get it on.

I’m still trying to master the hole without tanning the wallll

greenlex
28-05-2018, 10:44 AM

Where’s that like button? Boom

Hibee87
28-05-2018, 02:51 PM
I have been trying to get back into it this year as not played much for the last 10-15 years (growing up my golfing priorities went way down my list).
Got my wee one some clubs last year and started taking him to the driving range (he is just turned 6) and got a wee set for his birthday, double strap kick stand etc so im trying to encourage him to get out to some pitch n puts etc to get him into it.

I caught the bug again and played a few times this year with mixed results, but I purchased a new putter which has really helped my game. Added in with getting my Dads old clubs (Ping eye 2 cavity backs) when I have played my whole golfing career with Mizuno tour proven irons (I believe Faldo won the master mid 90's with those clubs) which are blades, my short to mid iron game has really improved. My distance is not what it was but im certainly more comfortable and accurate with the more forgiving cavity backs.

Ive played Kingsknowe a few times in recent weeks and managed a couple birdies and a few pars in what was arguably my best ever round.
I played a friend at oatridge last week and drove the par 4 3rd. I then proceeded to 3 putt for par (which contradicts my earlier statement about my new putter, but the greens there were really not good). I used to have an horrific slice on the tee which ive corrected with a simple wrist turn towards the ball and its helped greatl. (if only I discovered that when I was 14!!) Im playing the Glen tonight which I have heard can be very challenging but im intrigued to see how I get on and really want to try play 3 full rounds somewhere and work out what my rough Handicap would be. My last time having one was when I was 17 and played of 22. Im now 30 and feel its time get a full time membership somewhere.

I'm_cabbaged
30-05-2018, 11:30 AM

Well done!!! I’ve had a few close calls, one day maybe...

I'm_cabbaged
30-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Have been very inconsistent with the driver so looked at getting a mini driver but struggled to find one. Went up to AG and tried the Cobra F8 and F8+ 3 woods, two words, **** me! They *****g go miles. I picked the F8, a bit shorter but more forgiving on poor strikes. Went to the course with it last night and I can honestly say I’m hitting further and a lot more consistently than I have ever with the driver 👍

ACLeith
30-05-2018, 05:00 PM
I read a quote from Walter Hagen - "You don't have the game you played last year or last week. you only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it".

Kind of sums me up nowadays :boo hoo:

Hearing of Hagen got me thinking of a fantasy four-ball - Young Tom Morris, Walter Hagen, Jack Nicklaus and Rory. To be played over 4 matches, the first at St Andrews as it was back in YTM's day, with the players wearing the clothes and using the equipment then, followed by the same in Walter's day, then Jack the finally Rory. Who would come out on top? I reckon Young Tom Morris might adapt to modern equipment - once his jaw stopped dropping at what we use nowadays - better than Rory playing in coat tails and tie, with hickory clubs and gutty balls on non-manicured courses.

brythehibby
30-05-2018, 07:41 PM
I have been trying to get back into it this year as not played much for the last 10-15 years (growing up my golfing priorities went way down my list).
Got my wee one some clubs last year and started taking him to the driving range (he is just turned 6) and got a wee set for his birthday, double strap kick stand etc so im trying to encourage him to get out to some pitch n puts etc to get him into it.

I caught the bug again and played a few times this year with mixed results, but I purchased a new putter which has really helped my game. Added in with getting my Dads old clubs (Ping eye 2 cavity backs) when I have played my whole golfing career with Mizuno tour proven irons (I believe Faldo won the master mid 90's with those clubs) which are blades, my short to mid iron game has really improved. My distance is not what it was but im certainly more comfortable and accurate with the more forgiving cavity backs.

Ive played Kingsknowe a few times in recent weeks and managed a couple birdies and a few pars in what was arguably my best ever round.
I played a friend at oatridge last week and drove the par 4 3rd. I then proceeded to 3 putt for par (which contradicts my earlier statement about my new putter, but the greens there were really not good). I used to have an horrific slice on the tee which ive corrected with a simple wrist turn towards the ball and its helped greatl. (if only I discovered that when I was 14!!) Im playing the Glen tonight which I have heard can be very challenging but im intrigued to see how I get on and really want to try play 3 full rounds somewhere and work out what my rough Handicap would be. My last time having one was when I was 17 and played of 22. Im now 30 and feel its time get a full time membership somewhere.

This pretty much sums myself up! Played various courses the last 10 years without playing consistent enough or being a member anywhere. Finally joined Musselburgh GC in January and getting back to playing regular. Bought a new set of Callaway XR irons and it’s improved my game massively. Getting the membership has made me go and play more often. Good setup and a lot of good guys along there.

Any fellow hibby’s that are memebers ever fancy a game then drop me a message.

Golden Bear
30-05-2018, 08:42 PM
I read a quote from Walter Hagen - "You don't have the game you played last year or last week. you only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it".

Kind of sums me up nowadays :boo hoo:

Hearing of Hagen got me thinking of a fantasy four-ball - Young Tom Morris, Walter Hagen, Jack Nicklaus and Rory. To be played over 4 matches, the first at St Andrews as it was back in YTM's day, with the players wearing the clothes and using the equipment then, followed by the same in Walter's day, then Jack the finally Rory. Who would come out on top? I reckon Young Tom Morris might adapt to modern equipment - once his jaw stopped dropping at what we use nowadays - better than Rory playing in coat tails and tie, with hickory clubs and gutty balls on non-manicured courses.

Great thoughts! I often wonder how well I could have played in my youth if today's equipment and know how was available in these now distant days.

ACLeith
30-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Great thoughts! I often wonder how well I could have played in my youth if today's equipment and know how was available in these now distant days.

My current handicap is only a couple more than it was 40 years ago. That's almost solely down to the advances in equipment and knowledge, as you mention.

I sometimes play with hickory clubs and whilst it's great fun I'm always glad to get back to today's technology. When we hear of Sandy Lyle winning the World Hickory Championship, the hickory clubs he uses are a million miles away from the ones I used when I first started out in the game.

Although I still hit the ball a reasonable distance - and it's good to sometimes keep up with the young whippersnappers! - I know I have lost a good few yards with each club from even 10 years ago as the body rebels. But as you get older you realise that doesn't matter, it's still just a game of arithmetic, adding up 18 numbers!

Regardless of the equipment, it's still the most satisfying and frustrating game ever invented - and we know that it goes from one emotion to the other in a matter of minutes!

greenlex
03-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Just got a late entry into Dunbar’s Open next Sat. Steep at £30 but it’s my only chance of a competative game next weekend.

ACLeith
03-06-2018, 10:12 PM
Playing in the seniors open at Downfield this Thursday. Played in it last year but gave up after 10 when we couldn't find a spot on the green that didn't involve playing through the puddles.

Hoping for decent weather as Its a cheap way to play a great course

greenlex
04-06-2018, 08:33 AM
Playing in the seniors open at Downfield this Thursday. Played in it last year but gave up after 10 when we couldn't find a spot on the green that didn't involve playing through the puddles.

Hoping for decent weather as Its a cheap way to play a great course
Downfield is good. You drive through a council housing estate and into what looks at first glance the entrance to an industrial estate to find a lovely course. in usually immaculate condition Enjoy.

frazeHFC
07-06-2018, 06:52 AM
Just got a late entry into Dunbar’s Open next Sat. Steep at £30 but it’s my only chance of a competative game next weekend.

If things are going poor after 15 holes just take inspiration from Golden Bear and hole it in 1. How hard can it be? :greengrin

In other news my golf is bloody horrific as usual. After 16 odd years I'm thinking of ditching Linlithgow for Turnhouse next year. £150 quid cheaper for a better course.

greenlex
07-06-2018, 07:41 AM
If things are going poor after 15 holes just take inspiration from Golden Bear and hole it in 1. How hard can it be? :greengrin

In other news my golf is bloody horrific as usual. After 16 odd years I'm thinking of ditching Linlithgow for Turnhouse next year. £150 quid cheaper for a better course.
If GB.can do it anyone can.😂. Played Linlithgowshire Seniors at Linlithgow a couple of weeks ago and have to say not my favourite course.
A lot of folk seem to be taking membership atUphall. Again not one of my favourite layouts but must be in good condition for themto attract members.
I believe DeerPark is in excellent condition. Few boys raving about it. ( possibly incomparison to their home tracks.

I’m up to see David Burns at Kingsfeild to see if he can sort me out with something to get me round without to much pressure on my back. He’s got his work cutout. Straight from there to Dunbar. Busy old Saturday.

I'm_cabbaged
07-06-2018, 05:21 PM
Championship qualifiers this weekend at liberton, not holding much hope as I’ve only had about 7 rounds so far. Played a medal yesterday and played pretty solid bar 3 holes where I totally blew up. I’m bricking it to see how fast they’ll have the greens 😂

ACLeith
08-06-2018, 05:41 AM
Downfield is good. You drive through a council housing estate and into what looks at first glance the entrance to an industrial estate to find a lovely course. in usually immaculate condition Enjoy.

Played with a 5 handicap member which was a great help in keeping out of trouble. Stood on 5th tee having 11 stableford points! Knew it wouldn't last, started missing fairways off the tee which is a sure fire route to bogeys at best. Played close to my handicap though which was great.

Course in excellent condition though fiery due to lack of rain. Every hole interesting, no weak ones, you had to think on each tee what you were wanting to do rather than blast away with the driver.

And all for £18!

greenlex
08-06-2018, 06:43 AM
Played with a 5 handicap member which was a great help in keeping out of trouble. Stood on 5th tee having 11 stableford points! Knew it wouldn't last, started missing fairways off the tee which is a sure fire route to bogeys at best. Played close to my handicap though which was great.

Course in excellent condition though fiery due to lack of rain. Every hole interesting, no weak ones, you had to think on each tee what you were wanting to do rather than blast away with the driver.

And all for £18!
Can’t beat that price for that quality.

Golden Bear
08-06-2018, 08:27 AM
If GB.can do it anyone can.😂. Played Linlithgowshire Seniors at Linlithgow a couple of weeks ago and have to say not my favourite course.
A lot of folk seem to be taking membership atUphall. Again not one of my favourite layouts but must be in good condition for themto attract members.
I believe DeerPark is in excellent condition. Few boys raving about it. ( possibly incomparison to their home tracks.

I’m up to see David Burns at Kingsfeild to see if he can sort me out with something to get me round without to much pressure on my back. He’s got his work cutout. Straight from there to Dunbar. Busy old Saturday.

Well, thank you, thank you! :greengrin

I had a game at Dunbar yesterday but had to settle for a humble par on 16. (I'd take that every day really!) The course is in great nick, greens no more than a moderate pace but very true. If the weather stays as calm as it has been then the scoring will be low. Go for it!

I've offered to help out at the Stephen Gallagher Foundation tournament at Cardrona otherwise I would have tried for a late entry at Dunbar.

greenlex
08-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Well, thank you, thank you! :greengrin

I had a game at Dunbar yesterday but had to settle for a humble par on 16. (I'd take that every day really!) The course is in great nick, greens no more than a moderate pace but very true. If the weather stays as calm as it has been then the scoring will be low. Go for it!

I've offered to help out at the Stephen Gallagher Foundation tournament at Cardrona otherwise I would have tried for a late entry at Dunbar.
I’m really looking forward to it. Ive played Dunbar loads of times but never in relative calm.

David Burns is down at. Cardrona on Sunday with a Scotland under age group. I wanted my lesson on Sunday but he ditched me for that. It was sat only this weekend for him.
I’m also managed a last minute berth at Greenburn on Sunday so it’s a full on weekend.

Hibee87
08-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Ive never played Royal Musselburgh, what are peoples thoughts on it? If I am serious about getting into it again and a membership I think this would be an ok place. Close enough to Leith and I know people form the local area.

Golden Bear
08-06-2018, 04:43 PM
Ive never played Royal Musselburgh, what are peoples thoughts on it? If I am serious about getting into it again and a membership I think this would be an ok place. Close enough to Leith and I know people form the local area.

I played it in a Texas Scramble a few weeks ago. It was in good nick and to be honest I was quite surprised how long it was, I think it's a par 73. Although not far from the coast, I'd describe it as parkland with plenty of mature trees which adds to the degree of difficulty. I'd definitely go back for another crack at it.

greenlex
08-06-2018, 09:59 PM
The Royal is decent enough. Spent a bit in drainage recently as it can get a bit soggy in the winter.

greenlex
09-06-2018, 10:06 PM
Well the name is on the Dunbar Scratch trophy. :thumbsup: Unfortunately it belongs to my Laddie.:greengrin The boy done real good.

Golden Bear
10-06-2018, 02:57 PM
Well the name is on the Dunbar Scratch trophy. :thumbsup: Unfortunately it belongs to my Laddie.:greengrin The boy done real good.

Give my congratulations to your son Mr B. 67 was a great score, I take it the lad was well tutored by his auld man 😁

greenlex
10-06-2018, 06:11 PM
Give my congratulations to your son Mr B. 67 was a great score, I take it the lad was well tutored by his auld man 😁

Cheers. Will do. He left me behind long ago. I think he must be the milkman’s. 😂😂😂 he was 5 under at the turn and struggled coming home apparently. 😳

frazeHFC
14-06-2018, 06:31 AM

I like Royal Musselburgh, played it 2 or 3 times and it's always been in good nick. Nice course.

World Cup and US Open this weekend is a tasty prospect.

Golden Bear
14-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Next week:-

Monday:- Gullane 2
Tuesday:- West Lothian for a Scramble
Wednesday (rest day)
Thursday:- Dunbar
Friday:- Goswick.

This retirement life is proving to be a right bitch, I just don't know how I cope.

ACLeith
14-06-2018, 03:51 PM
Next week:-

Monday:- Gullane 2
Tuesday:- West Lothian for a Scramble
Wednesday (rest day)
Thursday:- Dunbar
Friday:- Goswick.

This retirement life is proving to be a right bitch, I just don't know how I cope.

Goswick is a fantastic track, have you played it before?

Golden Bear
14-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Goswick is a fantastic track, have you played it before?

Yes, I have a mate who is a member there. I enjoy playing it even although you always seem to have a cross wind to deal with.It's a true links course and the greens can be on the quick side which does nothing for my fragile putting stroke.

ACLeith
14-06-2018, 04:33 PM
Yes, I have a mate who is a member there. I enjoy playing it even although you always seem to have a cross wind to deal with.It's a true links course and the greens can be on the quick side which does nothing for my fragile putting stroke.

I realised after posting that you are bound to have played it, being a full time retiree 👍

Played a few courses in that region but fir me it is by far the best.

BTW nice watching the US Open being played in a Dunbar strength wind 😳

Golden Bear
14-06-2018, 04:55 PM
I realised after posting that you are bound to have played it, being a full time retiree 👍

Played a few courses in that region but fir me it is by far the best.

BTW nice watching the US Open being played in a Dunbar strength wind 😳

:agree:

There are a few big names struggling badly.

I thought that scoring would be on the low side as the width of the fairways has been increased to 42 yards which is considerably wider than the previous time the US Open was staged over Shinnecock Hills.

ACLeith
16-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Ok the course for the leaders is more difficult than the earlier players, but cmon, players of their ability should cope and adapt better. The Iceman showing them how to adapt.

And as for Leftie, he should be ashamed of himself. Abused the spirit of the game.

frazeHFC
16-06-2018, 11:48 PM
The US Open has been crazy today. Greens verging on impossible, Mickelson happily taking a 2 shot penalty putting a moving ball, and those pesky American fans upping the anti in their dickish behaviour.

Mon Rose tomorrow!

Golden Bear
17-06-2018, 11:30 AM
The US Open has been crazy today. Greens verging on impossible, Mickelson happily taking a 2 shot penalty putting a moving ball, and those pesky American fans upping the anti in their dickish behaviour.

Mon Rose tomorrow!

:agree:

But for me, (and aided by a few drams) it made for a great night's viewing .

Smartie
17-06-2018, 12:46 PM
I can't believe how candid Mickelson was about it - he dug himself a hole by being so honest about his reasons for doing it.

He could have apologised and passed it off as being a lapse in concentration or frustration but to make it sound so cold and calculated really wasn't within the spirit of golf at all.

Crazy day yesterday, I can't say I enjoyed it. You want to see a tough challenge but a fair one - players were hitting decent shots and being punished, and it was becoming a lottery.

The vast majority of the time our Open provides a decent honest test and all players are treated with respect - therefore it's miles ahead of the US Open imo.

It's still pretty fascinating though and if they calm the greens down a bit and place the pins in better positions then it could be much fairer (as the first 2 days were).

heretoday
18-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Two opens in a row. Quite rare. I'm thinking Hale Irwin and Curtis Strange. I may be wrong.

greenlex
02-07-2018, 02:45 PM
Supposed to have been playing the Lothians Senior Championship at Liberton today. Gutted to report my back has deteriorated over the last few weeks to the point I can barely stand up today. ****ing sick.

Golden Bear
06-07-2018, 04:45 PM
Sorry to read that Lex, you'll be missing the gowf badly especially with the weather being so good and the courses playing relatively easy. Hopefully things will improve for you - and soon.

greenlex
06-07-2018, 06:34 PM
Sorry to read that Lex, you'll be missing the gowf badly especially with the weather being so good and the courses playing relatively easy. Hopefully things will improve for you - and soon.
Cheers GB. It has eased significantly but I think golf might be out the question. It’s supposed to be Musselburgh Seniors on Tuesday but I think I might struggle. Withdrew from the Lothians at Liberton on Monday and also seen a Private Physio that night. ( I had booked him a week or so earlier). He reckons it’s root cause us an old Fitba injury to my ankle. He wants to work on that but it’s not really a help right now. Back to him on Wednesday.
‘Yup it’s brutal with the weather like it is. I think I might need to go the Tiger route and go for surgery privately.

heretoday
18-07-2018, 08:41 AM
It's not an Open for the long hitters so it should be interesting. It's a shame it's not on the BBC. R&A are greedy sods.

Golden Bear
18-07-2018, 03:39 PM
It's not an Open for the long hitters so it should be interesting. It's a shame it's not on the BBC. R&A are greedy sods.

It's a shame for the folk that can't afford Sky but it's got to be said that Sky do a magnificent job and offer much more than the token efforts that the BBC used to dish up. In defence of the R&A, they do ensure that a fair share of the financial pot is distributed throughout the world as a means of promoting and developing the game to as many people as possible.

ACLeith
21-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Ollie Fisher just hit a 59 in the Portugal Masters, 12 shots better than yesterday. The first sub 60 round in European Tour history.

And at the same time one of the local pros, who is well up the leaderboard, hit 2 of the worst shots I've ever seen a pro play!

Such is golf 👍 And 😱

southfieldhibby
22-09-2018, 08:45 AM

Played Turnhouse for the first time yesterday, really enjoyed it. Quite a few long par 4s, and maybe a couple too many blind shots, but the greens were excellent and I put my tee shot on 17 to 6 foot! If it wasn't on the other side of town from Portobello I'd consider joining.

Also played Linlithgow a couple of weeks ago and didn't rate it as highly, but again, the 17th par 3 was nice, hit it high and 30 foot short right and it rolled down to 10 foot.

There's no comparison in the two courses, if you've got the choice.

Golden Bear
22-09-2018, 07:36 PM
Handicap wise, I've held my own this season but performance wise not so. Generally delighted with my consistency from tee to green but my putting was a total disaster. I've lost all confidence on the greens, - terrified in fact! 🤢

Carheenlea
23-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Handicap wise, I've held my own this season but performance wise not so. Generally delighted with my consistency from tee to green but my putting was a total disaster. I've lost all confidence on the greens, - terrified in fact! 🤢

Time to go with "The Claw" GB... Tried it myself earlier in season and got reasonable results, particularly with shorter putts, and reverted back the orthodox grip and found my stroke had improved and the right hand less inclined to try and take over in the stroke. Still not enough to prevent the handicap creeping up a shot, but hopefully can squeeze in another couple of medals to try and get back to where I started season at. A point one reduction will be suffice.

BroxburnHibee
23-09-2018, 07:12 PM
Played Turnhouse for the first time yesterday, really enjoyed it. Quite a few long par 4s, and maybe a couple too many blind shots, but the greens were excellent and I put my tee shot on 17 to 6 foot! If it wasn't on the other side of town from Portobello I'd consider joining.

Also played Linlithgow a couple of weeks ago and didn't rate it as highly, but again, the 17th par 3 was nice, hit it high and 30 foot short right and it rolled down to 10 foot.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it especially the greens. I'm a member and we're proud of them. It's a very friendly club too.

greenlex
23-09-2018, 10:34 PM

Played Linlithgow last weekend I’ve played it loads of times and not a fan of the layout. The greens however were the slickest I’ve played on in a very long time and I’ve played 40 competitive rounds over a number of courses this year alone. I also like Turnhoyse being a past winner there.😎🏆

southfieldhibby
24-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Glad to hear you enjoyed it especially the greens. I'm a member and we're proud of them. It's a very friendly club too.
Found everyone very friendly, will be back.

Played Linlithgow last weekend I’ve played it loads of times and not a fan of the layout. The greens however were the slickest I’ve played on in a very long time and I’ve played 40 competitive rounds over a number of courses this year alone. I also like Turnhoyse being a past winner there.😎🏆

Interesting how folk can see things slightly differently. The greens at Linlithgow were fine, but nothing that make me recall them specifically.

greenlex
24-09-2018, 12:34 PM
Found everyone very friendly, will be back.

Interesting how folk can see things slightly differently. The greens at Linlithgow were fine, but nothing that make me recall them specifically.
It’s not really. Different weather. Different times of the day. Different level of competition. Different course preparation. All make a difference. It would only really be interesting or relevant if we were all playing st the same time.

frazeHFC
24-09-2018, 05:36 PM

Yeah having moved from Queensferry to South Gyle it definitely makes more sense to join Turnhouse. I'm lucky if I play 10 holes a month just now.

southfieldhibby
25-09-2018, 07:57 AM
It’s not really. Different weather. Different times of the day. Different level of competition. Different course preparation. All make a difference. It would only really be interesting or relevant if we were all playing st the same time.

You're right, it's probably not that interesting, was only being mildly polite.

The quality and speed of a green shouldn't be affected by any of the things you mention. Slick/good greens should have good drainage and play pretty much the same in wet or dry conditions. Parkland courses maybe less so than links courses, but still, good greens are good greens. Average ones will always be average ones.
Greenkeeping staff are the same, so their preparation and input never varies, the speed of a putt for a 4 handicappers is the same speed for a 22 handicapper, level of competition makes no difference there either.
Off the top of my head I think I've played maybe 20 odd courses this year. Linlithgow was fine, but not in the top 10.

greenlex
25-09-2018, 10:54 AM
You're right, it's probably not that interesting, was only being mildly polite.

The quality and speed of a green shouldn't be affected by any of the things you mention. Slick/good greens should have good drainage and play pretty much the same in wet or dry conditions. Parkland courses maybe less so than links courses, but still, good greens are good greens. Average ones will always be average ones.
Greenkeeping staff are the same, so their preparation and input never varies, the speed of a putt for a 4 handicappers is the same speed for a 22 handicapper, level of competition makes no difference there either.
Off the top of my head I think I've played maybe 20 odd courses this year. Linlithgow was fine, but not in the top 10. I just read my first comment there and it read a bit arsey and it wasn’t meant to be so apologies.
Greens are often prepared differently for different competitions and conditions. The grass wont be “stressed” by being cut to short in particularly hot or colder conditions. They were almost certainly scalped and flat ironed the other week compared to a senior competition I played there a few months ago. A good few competitors did comment. I was out really early to be fair and that would also make a difference.
As I said I’m not a fan of Linlithgow but thought the greens were particularly slick for the Linlithgowshire first class boys a couple of weekends ago and thought it worthy of a mention.

southfieldhibby
26-09-2018, 09:05 AM
I just read my first comment there and it read a bit arsey and it wasn’t meant to be so apologies.
Greens are often prepared differently for different competitions and conditions. The grass wont be “stressed” by being cut to short in particularly hot or colder conditions. They were almost certainly scalped and flat ironed the other week compared to a senior competition I played there a few months ago. A good few competitors did comment. I was out really early to be fair and that would also make a difference.
As I said I’m not a fan of Linlithgow but thought the greens were particularly slick for the Linlithgowshire first class boys a couple of weekends ago and thought it worthy of a mention.

No worries :agree:

Golden Bear
26-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Time to go with "The Claw" GB... Tried it myself earlier in season and got reasonable results, particularly with shorter putts, and reverted back the orthodox grip and found my stroke had improved and the right hand less inclined to try and take over in the stroke. Still not enough to prevent the handicap creeping up a shot, but hopefully can squeeze in another couple of medals to try and get back to where I started season at. A point one reduction will be suffice.

I went for a putting lesson yesterday. Apparently my eyes were two inches inside the ball and not directly over the ball as they should be. The video footage showed that I had an "in to out" movement going back then an "out to in" putter movement coming forward. In other words I had a very noticeable loop in the middle of the stroke. X rated stuff!

I've since invested in one of these Edge 70 degree Eyeline putting rails to help me groove my stroke. The carpets will be worn out over the winter!

Golden Bear
12-10-2018, 04:56 PM
Anyone interested in this?:-

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9307

Maybe we could enter a team or (teams) from here. It would be a one off for me but I quite fancy it, especially over Archerfield.

Godsahibby
16-10-2018, 03:41 PM
Anyone interested in this?:-

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9307

Maybe we could enter a team or (teams) from here. It would be a one off for me but I quite fancy it, especially over Archerfield.

Played in it the last couple of years, was a good day out. Unfortunately I’m not able to play this year.

greenlex
02-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Played Kingsbarns today. What an absolute treat. Straight to the top of my favourite courses played list.

Golden Bear
03-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Played Kingsbarns today. What an absolute treat. Straight to the top of my favourite courses played list.

It's a wonderful course although you almost need to release some equity on your house in order to afford the green fees!

Royal Birkdale is my UK favourite course.

ACLeith
03-11-2018, 09:38 AM

Played it about 10 years ago. Freebie as well! Very near the top of my list but Dornoch is still number 1 for me.

Watched Michelle Wie last year go round in 64, I wondered why I thought it was difficult

greenlex
03-11-2018, 07:49 PM
It's a wonderful course although you almost need to release some equity on your house in order to afford the green fees!

Royal Birkdale is my UK favourite course.

Played it about 10 years ago. Freebie as well! Very near the top of my list but Dornoch is still number 1 for me.

Watched Michelle Wie last year go round in 64, I wondered why I thought it was difficult

Having played neither Birkdale nor Dornoch I’ll have to take you guys word fir it. I’ll stick both on my bucket list.:aok: Gullane No 2 tomorrow.

Godsahibby
03-11-2018, 08:42 PM

I played it last Saturday, what an experience! Played pretty good until the turn back into the wind and hail on 13, 5 very very tough holes in those conditions.

I’m lucky to have played it the last 3 years for free. The whore day out with Kingsbarns is very special.

Golden Bear
03-11-2018, 09:21 PM
I played it last Saturday, what an experience! Played pretty good until the turn back into the wind and hail on 13, 5 very very tough holes in those conditions.

I’m lucky to have played it the last 3 years for free. The whore day out with Kingsbarns is very special.

Aye, but what about the golf? 😁

Smartie
03-11-2018, 10:32 PM

Aye, it beats a bacon roll on arrival and soup and a sandwich after your round right enough.

greenlex
04-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Aye, but what about the golf? 😁 :greengrin

greenlex
04-11-2018, 08:05 PM
Aye, it beats a bacon roll on arrival and soup and a sandwich after your round right enough.

southfieldhibby
06-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Played KB twice and enjoyed it, but the fee- even with Scottish discount- really is a joke.

There's a real divergence of courses- specifically links courses- in Scotland when it comes to green fees. Some of the newer courses ( and rota ones) set up for american tourist 4 balls really do extract the urine.Whereas there's some equally as good places that are great value.

Golden Bear
07-11-2018, 05:17 PM
I had a game at The Roxburghe today courtesy of a fellow Hibs netter who had 2 "Bunkered" vouchers at his disposal.

The course was still in first class condition and is well worth a visit, even this late in the season.

greenlex
08-11-2018, 12:24 PM
I had a game at The Roxburghe today courtesy of a fellow Hibs netter who had 2 "Bunkered" vouchers at his disposal.

The course was still in first class condition and is well worth a visit, even this late in the season.
Not played it for a handful of years or so but a great track.
Joined the Kiwi cup at Gullane this year so for he first time in decades.I’ll be playing fairly regularly over the winter. I usually hibernate.

Golden Bear
14-11-2018, 04:18 PM
It's a tough old school!

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/qualifying/season=2018/tournamentid=2018595/leaderboard/index.html#/leaderboard

The final stages of the European Q school are underway in Spain and with one round to go its still all to play for. There are 25 places up for grabs on the 2019 European Tour so tomorrow will be a nerve racking time for those still in contention. There are 6 rounds, a cut was made after 4 and out of the Scots who made it to the last two rounds, only Marc Warren and Duncan Stewart have a realistic chance of winning their places on next Season's tour.

greenlex
16-11-2018, 08:57 PM
It's a tough old school!

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/qualifying/season=2018/tournamentid=2018595/leaderboard/index.html#/leaderboard

The final stages of the European Q school are underway in Spain and with one round to go its still all to play for. There are 25 places up for grabs on the 2019 European Tour so tomorrow will be a nerve racking time for those still in contention. There are 6 rounds, a cut was made after 4 and out of the Scots who made it to the last two rounds, only Marc Warren and Duncan Stewart have a realistic chance of winning their places on next Season's tour.
Marc makes it with the skin of his teeth.

Tornadoes70
19-11-2018, 01:05 PM
I'm assuming I wasn't alone in having a fruitless betting venture at the weekend there when two players who had both been significantly out of form for some time both won on the PGA and European tours unless successfully betting in play on the final days that is. Onto the Hong Kong Open and World Cup of golf for the upcoming week ahead.

Smartie
19-11-2018, 01:19 PM
I'm assuming I wasn't alone in having a fruitless betting venture at the weekend there when two players who had both been significantly out of form for some time both won on the PGA and European tours unless successfully betting in play on the final days that is. Onto the Hong Kong Open and World Cup of golf for the upcoming week ahead.

I had a stinker, a costly one, and not for the first time in recent months.

To make it worse, I would have won a fortune on Matt Wallace (who was leading after 2 rounds and still right up there to the end) or on Cameron Champ or Webb Simpson in the American golf.

I need to give this madness up.

Tornadoes70
19-11-2018, 02:40 PM
I had a stinker, a costly one, and not for the first time in recent months.

To make it worse, I would have won a fortune on Matt Wallace (who was leading after 2 rounds and still right up there to the end) or on Cameron Champ or Webb Simpson in the American golf.

I need to give this madness up.

I had a distinct feeling the weekend there was one for the bookies.

Wallace and Champ have been in great form this year especially Wallace. Simpson was pre tournament favourite going into it and him, Rogers or Champ looked more likely on the back nine final day than Howell III who looked to have blown it.

Willett has had no form at all this year really and I'd be surprised if anybody had a bet on him pre tournament.

I'm trying to decrease the size of bets I put on and lay off slightly as it can be a very frustrating sport to bet on and blindfold, a pin and list of players might be a better system sometimes however had a good return from Kuchar winning last week that made up for a losing streak.

Golden Bear
19-11-2018, 05:03 PM
I used to work with a guy who wasn't a golfer himself but would bet on two flies crawling up a wall. A few years ago he decided to do a double by choosing the winners of both the PGA event and a European event which were taking place over the same 4 days.

I also remember extracting the urine out of him big time by saying that these things just don't happen. And guess what? ----------- his bet came up.

Tornadoes70
23-11-2018, 07:30 PM
Some rough weather at the Melbourne based World Cup of Golf tournament round two helped usher in a day of higher scoring compared to the first round. Some relatively unfancied pairings at the top and with the weather to remain wet going into the weekend it could easily see a pre tournament outsider win, however the England pair of Hatton and Poulter remain well in contention.

The Hong Kong tournament has seen Aaron Rai emulate last weeks Charles Howell III's runaway leader position at the halfway point. However, this is golf and we've all seen big leads overtaken, however, Aaron Rai 'if' continuing the outstanding golf he's played so far will be extremely hard to pin back.

Tornadoes70
24-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Belgium's Thomas Pieters and Thomas Detry hold a five shot lead going into the final round of the World Cup of Golf. Can't recall what price they were pre tournament, however, I suspect they weren't favourites and maybe a decent price for anyone who backed them assuming that they can hold onto what is a very decent lead to take into the final round and see it out.

Aaron Rai marginally increased his lead going into the final round by one shot and now sits six shots clear going into the Hong Kong Open final round. His problem is that Matthew Fitzpatrick, Sergio Garcia and Tommy Fleetwood are the chasing pack who're all very capable of shooting very low rounds so Aaron Rai can't afford any slip ups and I suspect a round of three under or thereabouts would suffice, however, we've all seen big leads disappear very quickly in the past. In saying that I think he'll be very happy indeed to be taking such a large lead into the final round and if he can keep his nerve should see it out.

Also great to see Catriona Matthew well in contention for the Spanish Open on the Ladies European Tour sitting two shots off the lead.

Tornadoes70
25-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Belgium won the World Cup of Golf relatively comfortably in the end. Pre tournament favourites Australia tied for second with Mexico. Mexico's Abraham Ancer has had a good year and regularly competes near the top end of leaderboards and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the winners enclosure in the not that distant future.

England's Aaron Rai held off the persistent challenge from Matthew Fitzpatrick to win the Hong Kong Open for what was his maiden tour win at the age of 23.

Golden Bear
25-11-2018, 03:07 PM
Belgium won the World Cup of Golf relatively comfortably in the end. Pre tournament favourites Australia tied for second with Mexico. Mexico's Abraham Ancer has had a good year and regularly competes near the top end of leaderboards and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the winners enclosure in the not that distant future.

England's Aaron Rai held off the persistent challenge from Matthew Fitzpatrick to win the Hong Kong Open for what was his maiden tour win at the age of 23.

Oh to have some young Scottish players competing regularly at the top of the leaderboards.

Smartie
25-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Oh to have some young Scottish players competing regularly at the top of the leaderboards.

We just need to get them wearing 2 gloves.

Tornadoes70
25-11-2018, 07:32 PM

:top marks

Unfortunately very scarce at the moment. England on the other hand are going through a golden period of churning out top class golfers.

Godsahibby
08-12-2018, 07:01 PM
Final round of the year today and needed to get one suplimental card in for the handicap! Blowing a gale down at Dunbar but had the round of my life never mind my year. Net 63 with a quadruple on one hole so can see few a few stolew coming off this week!!

Gutted it’s happened now with my last game of the year and not mid summer where I could really kick on from it but that’s golf!! Just need to keep the clubs swinging over the winter.

Golden Bear
08-12-2018, 08:24 PM
Final round of the year today and needed to get one suplimental card in for the handicap! Blowing a gale down at Dunbar but had the round of my life never mind my year. Net 63 with a quadruple on one hole so can see few a few stolew coming off this week!!

Gutted it’s happened now with my last game of the year and not mid summer where I could really kick on from it but that’s golf!! Just need to keep the clubs swinging over the winter.

Great score and I get the impression you've enjoyed your day! I'd imagine the CSS would have been quite high and the quadruple bogey will knock another couple of points of your handicap!

I'm finding Dunbar is a good test, the wind and the bunkers are the real hazards, it's not overly long which makes it enjoyable.

Golden Bear
09-12-2018, 12:38 PM

Ah, read your post again. It was a supplementary score so your handicap reduction will be based on the SSS. Great score all the same.

greenlex
09-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Six games at Gullane so far in the Kiwi. 33 38 41 41 32 and 37 Points. Enjoying playing although it was bitter cold today. :

Godsahibby
10-12-2018, 07:30 PM
Great score and I get the impression you've enjoyed your day! I'd imagine the CSS would have been quite high and the quadruple bogey will knock another couple of points of your handicap!

I'm finding Dunbar is a good test, the wind and the bunkers are the real hazards, it's not overly long which makes it enjoyable.

Yeah I’m really enjoying it down there, it is a good test and the way you play the course changes week to week.

Got cut 2.7 so down to 13 lowest I have ever been.