PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon - Scotland call up?

hfc rd
18-03-2018, 06:05 PM
Just seen on BBC that Kieran Tierney has been ruled out of the Scotland friendlies. McLeish mentioned in his presser that he was going to use Tierney as a CB in both games against Costa Rica and Hungary.

Paul deserves to be called up in Tierney’s place. He’s been immense for Hibs and I wouldn’t swap him for any other CB in the league.

blaikie
18-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Either him or McGregor, both have been strong this season and deserve a place in the squad at least.

Keyser Sauzee
18-03-2018, 07:04 PM
Either him or McGregor, both have been strong this season and deserve a place in the squad at least.

No chance Mcgregor will be called up, he’s been good for us this year but he’s not at international level.

jacomo
18-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Just seen on BBC that Kieran Tierney has been ruled out of the Scotland friendlies. McLeish mentioned in his presser that he was going to use Tierney as a CB in both games against Costa Rica and Hungary.

Paul deserves to be called up in Tierney’s place. He’s been immense for Hibs and I wouldn’t swap him for any other CB in the league.

:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
18-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Mikey Stewart tipping Berra or Liam Lindsay for that spot.

pacoluna
18-03-2018, 07:57 PM
No chance Mcgregor will be called up, he’s been good for us this year but he’s not at international level.

He's a better player than Paul, only barrier is age regarding getting a call up. I suspect Berra will be recalled.

WellingtonHibby
18-03-2018, 08:00 PM
Liam Lindsay should have been in the squad in the first place

Johnny_Leith
18-03-2018, 08:07 PM
He's a better player than Paul, only barrier is age regarding getting a call up. I suspect Berra will be recalled.

Hanlon is a better centre half and better footballer than McGregor for me. I like Daz a lot, but PH is better all round.

Dashing Bob S
18-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Prefer McGregor to Hanlon.

pacoluna
18-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Hanlon is a better centre half and better footballer than McGregor for me. I like Daz a lot, but PH is better all round.

McGregor is far better centre back imo however Hanlon a better footballer when on the ball.

MacGruber
18-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Berra is a better defender than Hanlon at this stage
Hanlon is a better footballer than Berra - if that makes sense.
Paul is a ball playing CB - the type you would pair up with a no nonsense more industrial CB like Berra

pacoluna
18-03-2018, 08:12 PM
Berra is a better defender than Hanlon at this stage
Hanlon is a better footballer than Berra - if that makes sense.
Paul is a ball playing CB - the type you would pair up with a no nonsense more industrial CB like Berra

Like McGregor you mean.

CLASS OF 72 -73
18-03-2018, 08:21 PM
McGregor is a fine player but age will go against him and think he has missed his chance.
Hanlon deserves the nod and tends to as a quiet lad get less credit and press than McGregor from Hibs fans. Has had a great season and now rightfully skipper with Gray out.

MacGruber
18-03-2018, 08:30 PM
Like McGregor you mean.

Exactly

S4uzee
18-03-2018, 08:31 PM
Prefer McGregor to Hanlon.

I’d agree

Stuart93
18-03-2018, 08:41 PM
Jack hendry called up

Libby Hibby
18-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Jack Hendry before Hanlon ??? Does anyone else not rate Hendry or is it just me?

Danderhall Hibs
18-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Jack Hendry before Hanlon ??? Does anyone else not rate Hendry or is it just me?

I’ve got no idea how good the laddie is tbh. I know he’s been picked cos he’s at Celtic and that’s all.

The Modfather
18-03-2018, 09:40 PM
I’m a big fan of McGregor but IMO he’s no where near international standard, he’s not quick enough or mobile enough, and at 32 he’s not going to be a long or even mid term solution.

Guys like, Hendry, Porteous (in the next few years), McKenna, Devin etc are the future and should be given a try in friendlies with a view to the long term.

Hanlon is still young enough to get into the squad, and should have been given a chance before now. An elegant defender, and he’s come on leaps and bounds in recent years in this area, but I still have my doubts whether he is strong enough or aggressive enough for international football.

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-03-2018, 09:43 PM
McLeish is a yes man. Bringing in a manager before appointing a CEO imo, is criminal.

As for Hendry, I've heard he's got a great future but would he have gotten the cap in December? No chance! Delighted for the lad McKenna, but the likes of Hanlon, Lindsay and dare I say it, Souttar should be ahead of Hendry imo

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-03-2018, 09:53 PM
Jack hendry called up

Because of the change of shirt. Bad call.

crash
18-03-2018, 09:54 PM
McLeish is a yes man. Bringing in a manager before appointing a CEO imo, is criminal.

As for Hendry, I've heard he's got a great future but would he have gotten the cap in December? No chance! Delighted for the lad McKenna, but the likes of Hanlon, Lindsay and dare I say it, Souttar should be ahead of Hendry imo

Dont get this Hanlon promotional talk , would have Porteous in front of him now.

SChibs
18-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Liam Lindsay should be in ahead of Hendry and hanlon/macgregor

bingo70
18-03-2018, 10:13 PM
Liam Lindsay should be in ahead of Hendry and hanlon/macgregor

I’ve no idea how good a player he is but nobody was talking about playing for Scotland until he joined a second division (I realise it’s called the championship) English side, has he improved since he left Partick or is it a case of just because he’s playing well in England he must be better than what we’ve got to offer in our league?

Not a dig at yourself at all it just annoys me how everyone is so quick to devalue the players we have playing in this league.

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-03-2018, 10:19 PM
I’ve no idea how good a player he is but nobody was talking about playing for Scotland until he joined a second division (I realise it’s called the championship) English side, has he improved since he left Partick or is it a case of just because he’s playing well in England he must be better than what we’ve got to offer in our league?

Not a dig at yourself at all it just annoys me how everyone is so quick to devalue the players we have playing in this league.

Can't say I've followed him since he's went down south, although he has been linked with "big money" moves. How much, and to who I've no idea though. I think lower end prem teams though so is clearly doing something right

SChibs
18-03-2018, 11:03 PM

He being getting rave reviews down south and heard quite a bit about him.

Sauzee16
18-03-2018, 11:05 PM
Liam Lindsay or Cooper at Leeds should be called up.

Jack Hendry? Ffs JGP. At least make it a little less obvious.

Diclonius
18-03-2018, 11:27 PM
Jack Hendry gets a cap because he played good in one game against a ***** Rangers. Same old.

bingo70
18-03-2018, 11:47 PM
Jack Hendry gets a cap because he played good in one game against a ***** Rangers. Same old.

Why did Celtic sign him then?

Celtic are by far and away the best team in Scotland so it stands to reason the best Scottish players will play for them.

I’m pleased to see him get a call up and imo if he’d joined some no mark English club then other people would be too.

bingo70
18-03-2018, 11:49 PM
He being getting rave reviews down south and heard quite a bit about him.

He got rave reviews when playing for Partick, were you calling for him to be capped then too?

lucky
18-03-2018, 11:58 PM
Why did Celtic sign him then?

Celtic are by far and away the best team in Scotland so it stands to reason the best Scottish players will play for them.

I’m pleased to see him get a call up and imo if he’d joined some no mark English club then other people would be too.

Spot on. If he’s good enough for Celtic he’s good enough for Scotland. He might not be ready to start but this experience will help him.

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 12:06 AM
Spot on. If he’s good enough for Celtic he’s good enough for Scotland. He might not be ready to start but this experience will help him.

Lindsay is a better defender. Celtic have that much confidence in the lad he’s only played a couple of games. I’m actually surprised Celtic never went for Lindsay he’s a fantastic player.

JimBHibees
19-03-2018, 07:12 AM

Craig Gordon is good enough for Celtic but has sold the jerseys for Scotland. No way does Hendry deserve a call up. Depressing national management team of ex rangers manager ex Celtic assistant.

blackpoolhibs
19-03-2018, 07:18 AM
I have no idea how good this Jack Reilly is, i couldn't pick him out in a one man line up. I do wonder why Celtic paid all that money for him when they could have bought Paul Hanlon? :duck:

Wembley67
19-03-2018, 07:32 AM
Dont get this Hanlon promotional talk , would have Porteous in front of him now.

Really? What are you basing that on, one game?

davidgray210516
19-03-2018, 07:53 AM
I have no idea how good this Jack Reilly is, i couldn't pick him out in a one man line up. I do wonder why Celtic paid all that money for him when they could have bought Paul Hanlon? :duck:

Probably couldn’t pick him out in a 1 man line up as his names Jack Hendry 😂

Brightside
19-03-2018, 09:47 AM
Jack hendry called up

I think we can safely say that Hanlon wont be getting called up any time soon now. Nothing changes with these squads....players with potential get a move to Old Firm and are suddenly in the squad. The positive is Hanlon wont be wasting his time playing pointless games and can concentrate on the team that counts.

KWJ
19-03-2018, 09:59 AM
I feel for Paul because now is his time.

While it's great to get some young players bled into the squad they do also require some experienced guys along side them and Hanlon has plenty more football in him. I'd say he gets better with every season.

Allant1981
19-03-2018, 10:02 AM
would be interesting to hear from mcleish and why he didnt pick hanlon

brog
19-03-2018, 12:06 PM
McLeish picks Hendry with a couple of games for Celtc. He picks 3 players on loan at The Rangers. He tells 33 yo Berra he wants to try some younger players then brings in 32 yo Martin & Mulgrew. He brings back Grant Hanley, probably our worst player ( with extremely stiff competition ) in our most recent qualifying competition. He doesn't pick Hanlon or Souttar. Scotland's future looks bleak.

brog
19-03-2018, 12:08 PM
He got rave reviews when playing for Partick, were you calling for him to be capped then too?

While I agree with your point, you're also justifying Hendry's call up. Were you calling for him to be capped when he was at Dundee?

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 12:11 PM
would be interesting to hear from mcleish and why he didnt pick hanlon

He doesn’t believe his is good enough would be the obvious answer?

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 12:13 PM
McLeish picks Hendry with a couple of games for Celtc. He picks 3 players on loan at The Rangers. He tells 33 yo Berra he wants to try some younger players then brings in 32 yo Martin & Mulgrew. He brings back Grant Hanley, probably our worst player ( with extremely stiff competition ) in our most recent qualifying competition. He doesn't pick Hanlon or Souttar. Scotland's future looks bleak.

Hendry was brilliant with Dundee too leading to his big money move to Celtic plus he has age on his time development wise and if he’s going to be in the squad of a core of Celtic teammates it’s not going to do him any harm. Different sets of supporters tend to think their players should be in there, look at Berra being omitted for instance.

Ozymandias
19-03-2018, 12:19 PM

Are there any Hibs players you actually like?

bingo70
19-03-2018, 12:20 PM
While I agree with your point, you're also justifying Hendry's call up. Were you calling for him to be capped when he was at Dundee?

I’m not aware of ever seeing him play so I’ve no idea.

I just don’t think it’s as outrageous as some are suggesting that Scottish players playing for the best team in Scotland should get called up to the national side. Just because there’s a Scottish player playing well in the English second division (apparently although I’m sceptical Many on here regularly watch Barnsley) it doesn’t make him better than people that are playing well up here, I’m assuming he must have been playing well to earn a move to Celtic.

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 12:24 PM
I’m not aware of ever seeing him play so I’ve no idea.

I just don’t think it’s as outrageous as some are suggesting that Scottish players playing for the best team in Scotland should get called up to the national side. Just because there’s a Scottish player playing well in the English second division (apparently although I’m sceptical Many on here regularly watch Barnsley) it doesn’t make him better than people that are playing well up here, I’m assuming he must have been playing well to earn a move to Celtic.

Lindsay has been linked with a £5m+ move to the EPL and has been a standout in the Championship.

bingo70
19-03-2018, 12:32 PM
Lindsay has been linked with a £5m+ move to the EPL and has been a standout in the Championship.

Linked with a move doesn’t get me as excited as it does for some.

The market in England is utterly bonkers, he might be brilliant, I honestly don’t know however just because some tabloids have linked him with a move for a lot of money I personally don’t think that means that much any more. Lots of very very average players are going for a lot of money down there, think Grant Hanley was sold for about £6m was he not?

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 12:37 PM
Linked with a move doesn’t get me as excited as it does for some.

The market in England is utterly bonkers, he might be brilliant, I honestly don’t know however just because some tabloids have linked him with a move for a lot of money I personally don’t think that means that much any more. Lots of very very average players are going for a lot of money down there, think Grant Hanley was sold for about £6m was he not?

It shows he’s performing well at a higher level than our league.

Hanley was bought on potential and isn’t as bad as some make out.

Lindsay was brilliant at Partick and has made the move down south brilliantly. He’s our top prospect CH in my opinion. He dry and the sheep lad are very good too.

yonder1875
19-03-2018, 01:01 PM
Daz and Paul are both too good for Scotland.

bingo70
19-03-2018, 01:02 PM

Lindsay was brilliant at Partick and has made the move down south brilliantly. He’s our top prospect CH in my opinion. He dry and the sheep lad are very good too.

I can’t really be bothered getting into a debate about it however I’m not convinced the championship is much better than our premier league.

Any Scottish player that goes down to the English championship is practically always a success.

There’s no exact science to working it out, English football is so overhyped it’s unreal and imo the ridiculous values on players give the impression of the championship being much better than it actually is.

Lindsay may well be brilliant down there though, I’ve no idea. I don’t think many people actually do, that’s my point.

Allant1981
19-03-2018, 01:08 PM

or it shows that there is to much money in england and that clubs pay stupid money for average players

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Fair do’s guys.

blackpoolhibs
19-03-2018, 02:01 PM
Probably couldn’t pick him out in a 1 man line up as his names Jack Hendry 😂

I wouldn't know him either. :greengrin

brog
19-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Hendry was brilliant with Dundee too leading to his big money move to Celtic plus he has age on his time development wise and if he’s going to be in the squad of a core of Celtic teammates it’s not going to do him any harm. Different sets of supporters tend to think their players should be in there, look at Berra being omitted for instance.

Let's put it in perspective. Until this season Hendry had played 17 league games for Partick, Wigan, Shrewsbury & MKD. This season he's been a regular in the 10th placed team in our top league & has started 2 games for Celtc. Does anyone seriously think he'd be anywhere near the squad if he was still being "brilliant" with Dundee.

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 02:43 PM
Let's put it in perspective. Until this season Hendry had played 17 league games for Partick, Wigan, Shrewsbury & MKD. This season he's been a regular in the 10th placed team in our top league & has started 2 games for Celtc. Does anyone seriously think he'd be anywhere near the squad if he was still being "brilliant" with Dundee.

He’s near the squad because he was that good the best team in the country paid over £1m for him regardless of his past teams or form before Dundee. His brilliant form for Dundee led to that move and his Scotland call up. If Hanlon or anyone else had shown enough to have £1m buds accepted or rejected at Hendrys age in fact whatever age then I’m sure they would be in contention too. There’s a reason he just went for over £1m and for that reason he’s in the squad.

brog
19-03-2018, 03:31 PM
He’s near the squad because he was that good the best team in the country paid over £1m for him regardless of his past teams or form before Dundee. His brilliant form for Dundee led to that move and his Scotland call up. If Hanlon or anyone else had shown enough to have £1m buds accepted or rejected at Hendrys age in fact whatever age then I’m sure they would be in contention too. There’s a reason he just went for over £1m and for that reason he’s in the squad.

Sorry but that's nonsense. If an English championship team had signed him for a million or so he wouldn't be near the team. Oli Burke has been transferred for a total of over £20m & he's not quoted. It's 100% down to him being a Celtc (mostly reserve) player. Have a look at the under age teams to see the pervasive influence of the uglies throughout Scottish football.

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Sorry but that's nonsense. If an English championship team had signed him for a million or so he wouldn't be near the team. Oli Burke has been transferred for a total of over £20m & he's not quoted. It's 100% down to him being a Celtc (mostly reserve) player. Have a look at the under age teams to see the pervasive influence of the uglies throughout Scottish football.

Hendry was brilliant for Dundee. He then moved for £1m and is very young with bags of potential our Champions or down South he deserves to be in with a shout. Who would you prefer in instead apart from Lindsay?

Allant1981
19-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Hendry was brilliant for Dundee. He then moved for £1m and is very young with bags of potential our Champions or down South he deserves to be in with a shout. Who would you prefer in instead apart from Lindsay?

how many games have you seen hendry play?

blackpoolhibs
19-03-2018, 04:18 PM

Which games was Hendry Brilliant for Dundee?

Velma Dinkley
19-03-2018, 04:23 PM
A Scotland call up isn't just an honour for Hendry. It's an honour for his team - Celtic reserves.

brog
19-03-2018, 05:58 PM

Souttar, Hanlon, Cooper.

Mikey09
20-03-2018, 12:04 AM
Good luck to Hendry but let's be honest, he's in the squad cause he's at Celtic. Ask yourself this... If Darren McGregor was still at Rangers do you think his chances of being called up would increase? Course they would. Same with Soutar at Hearts. If he was at one of the old firm he'd certainly not be in the under 21's!! It's ****ing laughable.

cannastar
20-03-2018, 07:46 AM
I think the boy Stuart Findlay at Killmarnock is worth keeping an eye on.Seems a good player to me any time iv saw him.

JimBHibees
20-03-2018, 07:51 AM

I have seen a few TV games of Dundee and live v us not once have I seen him being brilliant. He also played in a defence that has conceded a shed load this season.

Heisenberg
20-03-2018, 07:52 AM
Berra apparently didn’t get called up because he’s left footed, which also rules out Hanlon. Some of the selections in the squad, especially in defence, are mental and show nowt has changed. Martin and Hanley ffs!

JimBHibees
20-03-2018, 07:52 AM
I think the boy Stuart Findlay at Killmarnock is worth keeping an eye on.Seems a good player to me any time iv saw him.

Agree looks a standout for killie is he on loan from Celtic.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
20-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Hanlon being left footed doesn’t help his chances IMO.

brog
20-03-2018, 11:38 AM
Hanlon being left footed doesn’t help his chances IMO.

Many top teams have a left/right central defence partnership. Strachan actually played a defence that was 100% left footed! I read Berra was told by McLeish he wanted to give younger players a chance. Factually that's correct as Martin & the left footed Mulgrew are both 32, while Berra is 33! Usual Scottish nonsense.

ancient hibee
20-03-2018, 11:42 AM
Berra can blame Potter with the constant talk about him playing with a bad injury.

Edinburgh Green
20-03-2018, 12:50 PM
I have seen a few TV games of Dundee and live v us not once have I seen him being brilliant. He also played in a defence that has conceded a shed load this season.

I'm the same, infact I would say he's looked ropey and very rash! We should of had a penalty at dens, seconds before McGinn scored when he lunged in on Murray who had his back to goal.

Also the only reason he's had any starts at Celtic is due to their injury problems at CH