PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to "Sunshine on Leith" on BBC 6 music

Engels74
18-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Elbow front man Guy Garvey does a show called Finest hour on 6music and today he had a theme about great lyricists and he started to explain his love for the song Sunshine on Leith but also it's connection to Hibs. He plays it and about 1/4 way through he blends in us singing (I think at hampden). This on the anniversary of our league cup win in 2007. I had tears in my eyes. His show is available on iPlayer.

SirDavidsNapper
18-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Elbow front man Guy Garvey does a show called Finest hour on 6music and today he had a theme about great lyricists and he started to explain his love for the song Sunshine on Leith but also it's connection to Hibs. He plays it and about 1/4 way through he blends in us singing (I think at hampden). This on the anniversary of our league cup win in 2006. I had tears in my eyes. His show is available on iPlayer.

2007 😉

zlatan
18-03-2018, 03:18 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09wg7cv

An hour and seven minutes in.

Hibrandenburg
18-03-2018, 03:33 PM
Superb.

Engels74
18-03-2018, 03:37 PM
2007 😉

Ouch. Sorted. Still bit rough after last night or memory is going. 😂😂

Sir David Gray
18-03-2018, 03:40 PM
Thanks for sharing. I didn't know Craig and Charlie were actually born in Leith. I always associated them with Auchtermuchty and I knew they lived there and just assumed that's where they were also born.

Paisley Hibby
18-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Aw man, greetin again.

Thanks for sharing!

DarlingtonHibee
18-03-2018, 03:56 PM
That song gets better every time I here it. Tissue please...

WoreTheGreen
18-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Overwhelmed is a understatement

hibsbollah
18-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Ohhhh my days.

Northernhibee
18-03-2018, 04:08 PM
He's also got a song about ex Hibs loan stars coming to the end of a relationship. It's "Jonathan Grounds For Divorce"

AFKA5814_Hibs
18-03-2018, 04:10 PM
I often go on Twitter and search for Sunshine on Leith just to see what people are saying about it. Amazing the number of non Hibs fans who claim it to be the best football song. We are very blessed to have such an iconic song associated with the club.

bigwheel
18-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Thanks for sharing this - was a great listen....:aok:

Mibbes Aye
18-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Elbow front man Guy Garvey does a show called Finest hour on 6music and today he had a theme about great lyricists and he started to explain his love for the song Sunshine on Leith but also it's connection to Hibs. He plays it and about 1/4 way through he blends in us singing (I think at hampden). This on the anniversary of our league cup win in 2007. I had tears in my eyes. His show is available on iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09wg7cv

An hour and seven minutes in.

Thanks for sharing, that was phenomenal and like others the tears just appeared :greengrin

Funny thing is I really don't like Elbow and Guy Garvey but I'm now prepared to revisit my opinion.

As per AFKA's post I think we have a song that other fans can identify with and are probably really jealous of.

The DVD is going on now :greengrin

Pretty Boy
18-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Already one of my favourite radio shows but that's by the by.

Brilliant stuff and we have the best football anthem in the world, Liverpool's YNWA is about all that is comparable. It just works.

Engels74
18-03-2018, 04:56 PM
Thanks for sharing, that was phenomenal and like others the tears just appeared :greengrin

Funny thing is I really don't like Elbow and Guy Garvey but I'm now prepared to revisit my opinion.

As per AFKA's post I think we have a song that other fans can identify with and are probably really jealous of.

The DVD is going on now :greengrin my pleasure mate. Ive listen to it about 5 times now and still welling up every time 😂😂

Thecat23
18-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Simply fantastic!

hibby6270
18-03-2018, 05:18 PM
That was well worth a listen. Think Guy Garvey ”gets it” just the same as we do. GGTTH & SoL.

Mibbes Aye
18-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Already one of my favourite radio shows but that's by the by.

Brilliant stuff and we have the best football anthem in the world, Liverpool's YNWA is about all that is comparable. It just works.

:agree:

It's going to be impossible to thank Craig and Charlie enough.

Beautiful song that just works for us, and captures the heart of anyone else who hears it.

Nameless
18-03-2018, 05:36 PM
I'd hope if he listens to Joyful Kilmarnock Blues or Cap In Hand, he might revise his opinion that the Proclaimers are "cheap". Notwithstanding that, it was a nice tribute to Sunshine On Leith.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
18-03-2018, 05:41 PM
I'd hope if he listens to Joyful Kilmarnock Blues or Cap In Hand, he might revise his opinion that the Proclaimers are "cheap". Notwithstanding that, it was a nice tribute to Sunshine On Leith.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

The only Elbow song i know is the one they always show at Glastonbury etc. "Beautiful day" or something. Absolute durge. Not my kind of music at all but wouldnt call it cheap or tacky. Thought that was uncalled for by the guy.

Northernhibee
18-03-2018, 05:43 PM
The only Elbow song i know is the one they always show at Glastonbury etc. "Beautiful day" or something. Absolute durge. Not my kind of music at all but wouldnt call it cheap or tacky. Thought that was uncalled for by the guy.

Man has opinion about music.

I thought he was very complimentary about them. There are bands that I find cheap and tacky but can appreciate when they do something good.

CropleyWasGod
18-03-2018, 05:55 PM
He's also got a song about ex Hibs loan stars coming to the end of a relationship. It's "Jonathan Grounds For Divorce"From the album...the Seldom Seen Albert Kidd.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

18-03-2018, 06:17 PM
Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to next week's show when he talks about the Hearts song.

Peanut Shaz
18-03-2018, 06:27 PM
The best thing about the song is the fact no other club can sing it as their anthem i.e. (Celtic/Liverpool). It's unique to Hibs and that's great.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-03-2018, 06:33 PM
:agree:

It's going to be impossible to thank Craig and Charlie enough.

Beautiful song that just works for us, and captures the heart of anyone else who hears it.

It must be an amazing feeling for those 2 to be at one of the games when The Hibernian Choir belts out a rendition.

jacomo
18-03-2018, 06:43 PM

Tbf that’s quite an atypical Elbow song.

Something of a cheap bid to create a singalong anthem.

G B Young
18-03-2018, 06:53 PM

The DVD is going on now :greengrin

Garvey's show is good with a lot of cracking tracks given an airing. He has, IMHO, a decent taste in music but I agree that Elbow are nothing special. Vastly overrated in fact.

As for other fans being jealous of the way SOL has become synonymous with Hibs, you're damn right. The yams in particular must privately wish they had a similar anthem. But they're a club that, quite simply, doesn't lend itself to these sort of romantic associations. Dour, functional and imbued with an absurdly misplaced arrogance, they're everything Hibs aren't.

jacomo
18-03-2018, 07:12 PM
Garvey's show is good with a lot of cracking tracks given an airing. He has, IMHO, a decent taste in music but I agree that Elbow are nothing special. Vastly overrated in fact.

As for other fans being jealous of the way SOL has become synonymous with Hibs, you're damn right. The yams in particular must privately wish they had a similar anthem. But they're a club that, quite simply, doesn't lend itself to these sort of romantic associations. Dour, functional and imbued with an absurdly misplaced arrogance, they're everything Hibs aren't.

And I thought Elgar had composed Pomp and Circumstance in honour of The Famous.

Turns out there’s no evidence he had ever heard of them. My bad.

snooky
18-03-2018, 07:22 PM
The best thing about the song is the fact no other club can sing it as their anthem i.e. (Celtic/Liverpool). It's unique to Hibs and that's great.

Exactamondo! :aok:

jacomo
18-03-2018, 07:31 PM

You got to insure against theft with Celtc about.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
18-03-2018, 09:26 PM
You got to insure against theft with Celtc about.

To be fair, the Scouse had already knicked it from a 1940s American musical.

CentreLine
18-03-2018, 09:49 PM

I’m really surprised that Leeds haven’t picked it up. Never be as good but they could work it

Austinho
18-03-2018, 10:54 PM
Sent chills down my spine as usual. You can shove your Forever Blowing Bubbles, YNWA or Blue Moon.

Tornadoes70
18-03-2018, 11:03 PM
That was terrific. Thanks for sharing.

:aok:

Mon the Cabbage!!!

NAE NOOKIE
19-03-2018, 12:23 AM
Cheers OP that was good.

Always nice to see the message going out and brings a nice wee bit of attention to Hibs as a club and us as a support. As others have said the great thing about SOL is that its practically unnickable and it ticks the one box you really must to qualify as a really great and cool football anthem ... it doesn't mention the club or even football anywhere in the lyrics :greengrin

The other thing is that we don't abuse it... it isn't played when the team run out and you will be lucky to hear it sung more than 5 or so times a season ... that for me makes it even more special :aok:

tomf
19-03-2018, 01:38 AM
As a songwriter who has occasionally connected with the audience emotionally I recognise how difficult it is to write a song that really, really works. Sunshine On Leith works about as well as any song can. The connection with Hibernian through the guys themselves makes it almost unassailable as a football song. No matter how many times I have heard it I still found tears in my eyes hearing it again. A great intro to the piece and a great idea to splice the recording with the Hibs fans singing the song. In the same way that the football family recognises You'll Never Walk Alone as a genuine football anthem regardless of its actual origin I believe they recognise Sunshine On Leith as being one of the best songs associated with a football club, if not the best. A few may be jealous but most know a great song when they hear it.

Austinho
19-03-2018, 02:24 AM
Just googled to see if it was ever released as a single, and saw it made it to 41 in the charts.

Surprised to see 500 Miles only ever charted at number 11. Thought it would have been much higher.

Edit: made it to number 3 in the US and number 1 in Australia when it was rereleased.

HoboHarry
19-03-2018, 02:50 AM
Takes a fair bit to get this auld guy emotional but that did it. Jeezo, that was fantastic........

PatHead
19-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Goosebumps.

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 12:35 PM
That’s magnificent. I actually got lost in a daze back to that day in May listening to that for some reason and it’s not happened much (might be the headphones and train journey).

One Day
19-03-2018, 05:50 PM
Was also mentioned on Pointless this evening. Richard Osman appears to be a big fan so does Alexander Armstrong

Scott Allan Key
19-03-2018, 06:02 PM
I’m really surprised that Leeds haven’t picked it up. Never be as good but they could work it

Sunshine on Keith also works. For their one fan.

snooky
19-03-2018, 06:12 PM
Sunshine on Keith also works. For their one fan.

Also Neath RFC. http://www.neathrugby.wales/

And of course, the Hearts could adopt "Sunshine on Thiefs"

Danderhall Hibs
19-03-2018, 06:32 PM
Also Neath RFC. http://www.neathrugby.wales/

And of course, the Hearts could adopt "Sunshine on Thiefs"

Hill O Beath have been known to belt it out.

snooky
19-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Hill O Beath have been known to belt it out.

Aw right. If you're stretching it to 3 syllables then Tenerife comes into play.

delbert
19-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Just googled to see if it was ever released as a single, and saw it made it to 41 in the charts.

Surprised to see 500 Miles only ever charted at number 11. Thought it would have been much higher.

Edit: made it to number 3 in the US and number 1 in Australia when it was rereleased.

It became popular in the US after being used as the theme for the Johnny Depp movie ‘Benny and Joon’

The Pointer
19-03-2018, 09:24 PM
Very good summation for many people and it's interesting how emotional people with no apparent connection to the club get when they hear it. Quite a lot put into a short piece and very enjoyable.