PDA

View Full Version : Petries days numbered?

Fuzzywuzzy
18-03-2018, 11:31 AM
www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-clubs-war-hibs-look-12205312

Seems he was looking to stoke the flames but couldn't get enough backers.

Lawell made intimations a few weeks ago that certain people were holding the game back. One name that he didn't mention doing things for the good of the game was petries.

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-03-2018, 12:24 PM
The silence from this man is as always deafening, don't hold your breath for a comment from him on this or more importantly backing his manager against idiot referees. :rolleyes:

Ozyhibby
18-03-2018, 12:39 PM
www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-clubs-war-hibs-look-12205312

Lawell made intimations a few weeks ago that certain people were holding the game back. One name that he didn't mention doing things for the good of the game was petries.

Let’s hope so. When it comes to governance in the game our chairman is not on the right side of the argument. Let’s hope those seeking reform win the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibbyfraelibby
18-03-2018, 12:46 PM
So he's opposed to the disaster that is Donkeycaster...does that make him a bad person?

Kato
18-03-2018, 12:50 PM
So he's opposed to the disaster that is Donkeycaster...does that make him a bad person?

If the daily record/sunday mail are against Petrie I'm for him. The DR will no doubt be in favour of whoever wants the game governed to Rangers benefit.

Fuzzywuzzy
18-03-2018, 12:54 PM

Not in the slightest. The whole of the governing body needs cleansed. Ogilivie being a prime example of this. How could he have looked at something as important as the liquidation of rangers when he was complicit and part of the downfall. Any kind of business people will have their own objectives

guthrie01
18-03-2018, 12:54 PM

I think it's more to the fact that Petrie wants the top job and has no desire to change the current state of Scottish Football.

Doncaster comes in and suddenly his position looks less favorably, he only cares about himself and keeping his comfy spot at the top of an outdated board.

green day
18-03-2018, 01:03 PM
I think it's more to the fact that Petrie wants the top job and has no desire to change the current state of Scottish Football.

Doncaster comes in and suddenly his position looks less favorably, he only cares about himself and keeping his comfy spot at the top of an outdated board.

How do you know?

Hibbyradge
18-03-2018, 01:07 PM
he only cares about himself and keeping his comfy spot at the top of an outdated board.

How do you know?

Broken Gnome
18-03-2018, 01:08 PM
Odd role Petrie has in relation to his SFA and Hibs roles now.

Not sure how he could be at backwards a dinosaur as made out to be considering he oversees what we all see as a fairly progressive set up at Hibs?

Then again, how's he meant to be impartial if some at the SFA did want Dempster as CEO?

Ozyhibby
18-03-2018, 01:29 PM
How do you know?

How do you know?

How does anyone know anything about what he wants? The man wants to lead Scottish football and nobody knows where he wants to lead it. Where is his vision? Does he have a plan for the national team? Youth development? Football governance? Commercial development?
All we can look at is the fact that he has been part of a massively failing SFA for a long time now. He also failed spectacularly when he was ceo of Hibs and our turn around only came when Leeann arrived. And Leeann still has a lot of work to do there as we are miles behind Aberdeen when it comes to bringing in commercial income to the club.
Petrie wants to lead Scottish football just because he thinks it’s his turn. Is that really how we think it should work just because he happens to be linked with our club?

Bishop Hibee
18-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Peter Lawwell is only interested in himself and what his billionaire pay master Dermot Desmond tells him to do. Regardless of what he’s done before, I’d back Petrie against Doncaster having any influence on the future of Scottish football.

Lago
18-03-2018, 01:37 PM
How does anyone know anything about what he wants? The man wants to lead Scottish football and nobody knows where he wants to lead it. Where is his vision? Does he have a plan for the national team? Youth development? Football governance? Commercial development?
All we can look at is the fact that he has been part of a massively failing SFA for a long time now. He also failed spectacularly when he was ceo of Hibs and our turn around only came when Leeann arrived. And Leeann still has a lot of work to do there as we are miles behind Aberdeen when it comes to bringing in commercial income to the club.
Petrie wants to lead Scottish football just because he thinks it’s his turn. Is that really how we think it should work just because he happens to be linked with our club?

Haven't seen a lot of leadership for soooo many years now, so feel thats a weak argument.

CentreLine
18-03-2018, 01:40 PM

RP appointed LD did he not?

Just Alf
18-03-2018, 01:45 PM
RP appointed LD did he not?Indeed he did.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
18-03-2018, 01:51 PM
RP appointed LD did he not?

How many years of failure did we have to go through before he admitted he was failing badly and had to step aside? Let’s not forget we were almost relegated in 2012.
What’s the positive case for putting Petrie in charge of Scottish football?

Jack Hackett
18-03-2018, 02:02 PM
How many years of failure did we have to go through before he admitted he was failing badly and had to step aside? Let’s not forget we were almost relegated in 2012.

His departure from Easter Road? :dunno:

Ozyhibby
18-03-2018, 02:06 PM
His departure from Easter Road? :dunno:

That’s as good an answer as anyone will come up with. [emoji3]

CentreLine
18-03-2018, 02:15 PM

RP is as straight as they come. If he was running Scottish football we might just get to the stage where it was not weighted in favour of only two teams. Sadly it is unlikely to happen. Partly because a small but vociferous group of posters on here have a blinkered anti RP focus.

Ozyhibby
18-03-2018, 02:25 PM
RP is as straight as they come. If he was running Scottish football we might just get to the stage where it was not weighted in favour of only two teams. Sadly it is unlikely to happen. Partly because a small but vociferous group of posters on here have a blinkered anti RP focus.

Is that as positive a case as you could make? [emoji3]

CentreLine
18-03-2018, 02:34 PM

As positive as it needs to be for the small but vociferous minority. I have no desire to whip up an argument when people get all uppity 🤪

Sauzee16
18-03-2018, 02:40 PM
It’s all set up for Lawwell to take over sooner rather than laterZ. It’s why he left the SFA board in the first place before even ripping Petrie and the chairman.

silverhibee
18-03-2018, 02:40 PM

Any chance you could copy & paste the article from the dr.

BSEJVT
18-03-2018, 02:54 PM
The really sad thing about this "debate" is that folk cant see past there own prejudices and that instantly decides their standpoint without any objective analysis of the situation, if its suits their views about certain individuals.

And we wonder why Scottish Football governance is in the state it is?

Scottish Football must be one of the most parochial and petty biased sporting systems in the world.

We are all guilty, I instantly think that because one of the OF is mumping about it, that it must be a good think for everyone else.

I used to think that women were more guilty of harbouring deep seated grudges that they should have let go years ago, but the anti Petrie venom is something special.

I hold no great love for the man and there is no doubt whatsoever that there have been a lot of mistakes made, but I don't for a second harbour anY thought that they were made with ill intent.

Point me to a football club in the world where similar mistakes have not been made.

Therefore my view is that he maybe wasn't up to the job he was given, if that's the case and he fulfilled it to the best of his abilities, which I believe he did, then the problem's not his but the folk that recruited him.

What I find really distasteful about any Petrie thread and this thread encapsulates it perfectly is that any attempt to debate the opposite viewpoint is instantly dismissed and the posters involved belittled / ridiculed.

If your standpoint is that Petrie is a **** and the troubles that have befallen Hibs over his tenure are all down to him and him alone, that's fair enough its your view, not one that I agree with entirely but your view to which you are entitled.

If you cant debate the issue properly then maybe best to leave it at that?

I have seen folk on this thread and many anti Petrie threads basically coming out and saying the guy is a ****, that's it.

When other's disagree they are asked to provide umpteen reasons why he isn't against the one assertion that he is.

Poor stuff IMO

Hibbyradge
18-03-2018, 02:57 PM

More parity in Scottish football.

I'm surprised you're so dismissive of the suggestion.

Pretty Boy
18-03-2018, 02:58 PM
I'm no lover of Rod Petrie but it seems the appointment of Doncaster is as much about self preservation as RPs opposition to it is; yet only one side is being given the treatment by the Record.

Doncaster was a total flop in his previous role yet has walked straight into another cosy job. I'd be more concerned if there weren't dissenting voices.

Fuzzywuzzy
18-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Any chance you could copy & paste the article from the dr.

I did try on phone but only got so far before not letting me go any further . On laptop now so will have it up shortly

Vini1875
18-03-2018, 03:09 PM
The problem is that when you look at who is involved in all this; Petrie, Lawell, Doncaster and the Daily Record is easy to vote for none of the above. The SFA is and has been a place of self interest for as long as I have known anything about it and the characters who wander its corridors also seem split into so many factions its hardly surprising that football in this country has stagnated.

Ozyhibby
18-03-2018, 03:10 PM
More parity in Scottish football.

I'm surprised you're so dismissive of the suggestion.

I’ve not seen any evidence Rod can or has any intention of delivering that?
If he comes out with a plan for such a thing then I’ll get behind him.
I want to be convinced. If Rod is worthy of the job then I’m all ears. I want to hear what his plan is.

Hibbyradge
18-03-2018, 03:13 PM
I’ve not seen any evidence Rod can or has any intention of delivering that?
If he comes out with a plan for such a thing then I’ll get behind him.
I want to be convinced. If Rod is worthy of the job then I’m all ears. I want to hear what his plan is.

You don't know that it's not his intention,, but your immediate response was to belittle the suggestion.

silverhibee
18-03-2018, 03:23 PM
I did try on phone but only got so far before not letting me go any further . On laptop now so will have it up shortly

Cheers :aok:

J-C
18-03-2018, 03:26 PM
I'm no lover of Rod Petrie but it seems the appointment of Doncaster is as much about self preservation as RPs opposition to it is; yet only one side is being given the treatment by the Record.

Doncaster was a total flop in his previous role yet has walked straight into another cosy job. I'd be more concerned if there weren't dissenting voices.

Precisely, who voted Doncaster on and what was their motives, as you say he was brutal in his last job and gets handed on a plate another cushy job, I'm glad Petrie has attempted to try and nip it in the bud before he was appointed.

CentreLine
18-03-2018, 03:29 PM
It is odd that the announcement the Donkey was being appointed to the SFA, unopposed, brought the RP haters out to say how he was culpable in shoehorning Donkey in. Now it’s clear Hibs, and by association RP, oppposed it. The hatemail starts again.

There are so many good things happening at our club right now isn’t it time to let it go?

IWasThere2016
18-03-2018, 03:31 PM
RP wanted Regan to stay on.. that says it all IMHO

Fuzzywuzzy
18-03-2018, 03:33 PM
SPFL clubs at war as Hibs look to block Neil Doncaster's SFA appointmentOnly four clubs backed the rebellion and SPFL chairman Murdoch MacLennan sent clubs an email revealing the bid to stop Doncaster voting.

82SHARES

ByGordon Waddell (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/authors/gordon-waddell/)

06:00, 18 MAR 2018
UPDATED10:47, 18 MAR 2018

SPORT (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/)

Play
Mute

Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%

Remaining Time-0:15

FullscreenVideo will play in 0.15

WATCH NEXTVideo: Keith Jackson and David McCarthy on Barry Hearn, the SPFL and SFA, Rangers, Motherwell, St Mirren and Celtic (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/video-keith-jackson-david-mccarthy-4769994)

STEWART GILMOUR SLAMS NEIL DONCASTER

[*=center]
[*=center]
[*=center]
[*=center]
[*=center]82SHARES

Get Sport updates directly to your inbox+ Subscribe
Angry SPFL chiefs have exposed a desperate plot to change the balance of power in the ongoing war between the SFA and the league.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads (http://inread-experience.teads.tv/)

And it’s understood Rod Petrie’s Hibs (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/hibernian-fc) were the club behind the bid to subvert board changes at the top of the game.

A day of back-door dealing was sparked by Partick 
Thistle’s Ian Maxwell 
resigning his spot on the main SFA (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/scottish-football-association) board to pursue his bid to replace flop Stewart Regan as CEO. 
The SPFL (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/scottish-professional-football-league) eventually put 
forward chief executive Neil 
Doncaster to replace Maxwell.
But MailSport has obtained an email sent by Murdoch MacLennan, the SPFL 
chairman, to members revealing a clandestine bid to stop Doncaster even being allowed to vote.

https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article12085674.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS144681648.jpg

SPFL Chief Executive Neil Doncaster arrives at Pittodrie (Image: SNS)READ MORE

Hibs chief Rod Petrie trying to protect is his own privilege, his right of succession to the VIP gin lounge of football politics – Gordon Waddell (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-chief-rod-petrie-trying-12204859)

It’s believed the rebellion ended up with only four 
signatories, despite attempts by Hibs to whip up support from Premiership clubs.
The Easter Road club – 
who wanted Petrie’s ally, 
Aberdeen’s Duncan Fraser, promoted from the 
Professional Game Board instead of Doncaster – were supported by the Dons, Ross County and Kilmarnock.

https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article11705220.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS139092259.jpg

Rod Petrie in the standsSFA vice president Petrie stood to be the biggest 
beneficiary of that scenario, having lost his power base alongside president Alan McRae with his failed bid to keep Regan in a job and their disastrous management of the recruitment process to replace Gordon Strachan.

The Hibs chief is due to inherit the top job in a year’s time but fears being neutered by the power shift at the top.
With a host of the SFA’s sponsorships and commercial deals lapsed, and no TV deal in place for the Scottish Cup next season, the clubs want major change at Hampden.

https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article11981817.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS142822517.jpg

SFA President Alan McRae is in attendance tonightREAD MORE

Ian Maxwell has what it takes to put SFA's house in order insists Ian McCall (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ian-maxwell-what-takes-put-12190417)

Despite a flurry of calls and emails, though, the SPFL quelled what little uprising there was and voted to use Doncaster as their placeman, a move which will continue to limit the influence of the longest-serving blazers.

MacLennan’s email to all 42 SPFL members said: “I am writing to let you know that following Ian Maxwell’s 
resignation, Neil Doncaster was today elected unopposed from the PGB to SFA Board.
“I was surprised that before the PGB meeting, I received a number of emails from clubs calling for Neil to be instructed by the Board not to vote at the PGB meeting on the issue of who would replace Ian Maxwell.
“The Board unanimously rejected the proposal. The Board were clear the rules should be complied with.”

lord bunberry
18-03-2018, 03:36 PM
RP wanted Regan to stay on.. that says it all IMHO
Add that to tha calamitous period he oversaw at hibs, and it shows him up as a man not equipped to be the main man at the SFA. I also have very little confidence that whoever does end up in the job will be any better.

flash
18-03-2018, 03:40 PM
We have made great progress despite Petrie not because of him.

Ozyhibby
18-03-2018, 03:43 PM
It is odd that the announcement the Donkey was being appointed to the SFA, unopposed, brought the RP haters out to say how he was culpable in shoehorning Donkey in. Now it’s clear Hibs, and by association RP, oppposed it. The hatemail starts again.

There are so many good things happening at our club right now isn’t it time to let it go?

I don’t think I was involved in that discussion but I am definitely surprised by today’s news as Doncaster and Petrie were previously close.
And although I don’t think Rod is the correct person for the job, does not mean I’m endorsing anyone else, least of all Neil Doncaster.

Bishop Hibee
18-03-2018, 03:54 PM

Exactly PB. Petrie should have left Hibs a while back. He didn’t and at least he’ll fight Hibs’ corner in the corridors of power. The Daily Record is anti-Hibs and pro-OF as proven by its post-2016 final coverage. A root and branch reform of Scottish football is needed, not Doncaster and his allies in charge.

Jack Hackett
18-03-2018, 03:55 PM

Unfortunately, Donkey is still encumbant in his 'previous' role. He's now wearing 2 hats... Neither of them magic

Joe6-2
18-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Exactly PB. Petrie should have left Hibs a while back. He didn’t and at least he’ll fight Hibs’ corner in the corridors of power. The Daily Record is anti-Hibs and pro-OF as proven by its post-2016 final coverage. A root and branch reform of Scottish football is needed, not Doncaster and his allies in charge.

How did he fight Hibs corner, the club did nothing about the lies printed in that rag, and still haven’t

CropleyWasGod
18-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Precisely, who voted Doncaster on and what was their motives, as you say he was brutal in his last job and gets handed on a plate another cushy job, I'm glad Petrie has attempted to try and nip it in the bud before he was appointed.Pretty sure they don't get paid in those roles.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

silverhibee
18-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Pretty sure they don't get paid in those roles.

How does Rod pay the bills doing all this unpaid work.

Jack Hackett
18-03-2018, 04:20 PM
How does Rod pay the bills doing all this unpaid work.

Is it work though? Not seeing any sort of end product if it is.

jacomo
18-03-2018, 04:41 PM

Great judgement from Petrie, proves he’s on the right side.

On the other hand, he apparently tried to keep Regan in his job - bad Petrie!

CropleyWasGod
18-03-2018, 05:22 PM
How does Rod pay the bills doing all this unpaid work.He's involved in a few of STF's companies. Presumably he is paid from them.

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-03-2018, 05:23 PM
How did he fight Hibs corner, the club did nothing about the lies printed in that rag, and still haven’t

Spot on, or any other matter regarding Hibs.

WhileTheChief..
18-03-2018, 05:32 PM
When folk say that Petrie wants the top job, what are they meaning there?

Chief Exec of the SFA is surely the top job but I’ve never once heard of him being linked to it.

Nor Chief Exec of the SPFL.

So that leaves President of the SFA. A largely symbolic position with little to do with the day to day running of them game.

Without google, could anyone name any of the previous Presidents over the last 20 years or so? I bet not. Everyone remembers Ernie Walker and Jim Farry though.

ancient hibee
18-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Once the clubs fully get their hooks into the SFA the decline of Scottish football will accelerate.In my opinion one of the few success stories has been the international youth teams with players in the main coached by the SFA coaches in the proper way to tackle European football.As these players get older they disappear into the clubs who are totally ruled by short terminism and bring in foreign journeymen rather than bring through these Scots lads.How many young players have Celtic developed in the last ten years despite having more assets than the rest of the clubs in total?I would say two.And this man Lawell wants to run Scottish football.Jeezo.

green day
18-03-2018, 05:47 PM

Spot on, or any other matter regarding Hibs.

Of course, you both know for sure that Petrie has never fought Hibs corner on anything?

Must be great to have such absolute certainty about things :rolleyes:

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-03-2018, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=green day;5347731]Of course, you both know for sure that Petrie has never fought Hibs corner on anything?]

If he did (especially the cup final) I never saw or heard anything, plus the fairly obvious bad refereeing we have had against the team and NL, I thought that would merit a comment.

CropleyWasGod
18-03-2018, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=green day;5347731]Of course, you both know for sure that Petrie has never fought Hibs corner on anything?]

If he did (especially the cup final) I never saw or heard anything, plus the fairly obvious bad refereeing we have had against the team and NL, I thought that would merit a comment.Would that have to be played out in the public arena?

In any event, it wouldn't be his responsibility.

Mikey
18-03-2018, 06:08 PM

In the aftermath of the cup final the club concentrated on minimising any punishment from the SFA. He started deflecting before we'd even left the ground with his "over exuberance" comment.

Just because they haven't lashed out at the Daily Record, or some BBC pundits, doesn't mean nothing was done.

Hi Heid Yin
18-03-2018, 06:20 PM
The really sad thing about this "debate" is that folk cant see past there own prejudices and that instantly decides their standpoint without any objective analysis of the situation, if its suits their views about certain individuals.

Scottish Football must be one of the most parochial and petty biased sporting systems in the world.

We are all guilty, I instantly think that because one of the OF is mumping about it, that it must be a good think for everyone else.

I used to think that women were more guilty of harbouring deep seated grudges that they should have let go years ago, but the anti Petrie venom is something special.

I hold no great love for the man and there is no doubt whatsoever that there have been a lot of mistakes made, but I don't for a second harbour anY thought that they were made with ill intent.

Point me to a football club in the world where similar mistakes have not been made.

Therefore my view is that he maybe wasn't up to the job he was given, if that's the case and he fulfilled it to the best of his abilities, which I believe he did, then the problem's not his but the folk that recruited him.

What I find really distasteful about any Petrie thread and this thread encapsulates it perfectly is that any attempt to debate the opposite viewpoint is instantly dismissed and the posters involved belittled / ridiculed.

If your standpoint is that Petrie is a **** and the troubles that have befallen Hibs over his tenure are all down to him and him alone, that's fair enough its your view, not one that I agree with entirely but your view to which you are entitled.

I have seen folk on this thread and many anti Petrie threads basically coming out and saying the guy is a ****, that's it.

When other's disagree they are asked to provide umpteen reasons why he isn't against the one assertion that he is.

Poor stuff IMO

:top marks

Golden Bear
18-03-2018, 07:55 PM

Poor stuff IMO

Great post.

Eyrie
18-03-2018, 08:25 PM
MacLennan’s email to all 42 SPFL members said: “I am writing to let you know that following Ian Maxwell’s resignation, Neil Doncaster was today elected unopposed from the PGB to SFA Board.
“I was surprised that before the PGB meeting, I received a number of emails from clubs calling for Neil to be instructed by the Board not to vote at the PGB meeting on the issue of who would replace Ian Maxwell.
“The Board unanimously rejected the proposal. The Board were clear the rules should be complied with.”

So Doncaster voted at the PGB meeting for himself to be elected to the the SFA Board. Isn't that a conflict of interest?

Looks like all Petrie did was question whether that was appropriate. If Doncaster was elected unopposed then Petrie clearly didn't have an alternative candidate for election, which means that this is the Daily Ranger attempting to smear Petrie.