PDA

View Full Version : Guid 12 Inches

Glory Lurker
17-03-2018, 11:43 PM
A lot of lazilly-remixed 33 cms were served up to us gullible young fools in the early to mid 80s. Were there any good ones that were worth the extra pound or so? Obviously Blue Monday, so that’s off the list. One Great Thing by Big Country was quite good. Others?

Mibbes Aye
18-03-2018, 12:11 AM
A lot of lazilly-remixed 33 cms were served up to us gullible young fools in the early to mid 80s. Were there any good ones that were worth the extra pound or so? Obviously Blue Monday, so that’s off the list. One Great Thing by Big Country was quite good. Others?

Glad you've excluded Blue Monday as that was the daddy and blows everything else out of the water.

I had a whole bunch of Stone Roses 12"s, including 'Sally Cinnamon' but I gave them away to my little sister. Also in the pile was the Inspiral Carpets "This Is How It Feels". It either had a live recording of 'Commercial Rain' on it, or that was on another 12" but it was absolutely brilliant.

Thinking back to the early-mid 80s, my favourite was probably a 12" of Bronski Beat, "Smalltown Boy". They used to play the single edit as a video in cinemas at the time IIRC.

Depeche Mode were the other big 12"s in those days and I had a good few of theirs.

My all-time favourite 12" record was a decade later though - De'lacy "Hideaway" '95 Deep Dish Mix, narrowly beating a 12" remix of Robin S "Show Me Love" which I picked up in Melbourne, of all places, a year or two before.

Mibbes Aye
18-03-2018, 12:26 AM
Glad you've excluded Blue Monday as that was the daddy and blows everything else out of the water.

I had a whole bunch of Stone Roses 12"s, including 'Sally Cinnamon' but I gave them away to my little sister. Also in the pile was the Inspiral Carpets "This Is How It Feels". It either had a live recording of 'Commercial Rain' on it, or that was on another 12" but it was absolutely brilliant.

Thinking back to the early-mid 80s, my favourite was probably a 12" of Bronski Beat, "Smalltown Boy". They used to play the single edit as a video in cinemas at the time IIRC.

Depeche Mode were the other big 12"s in those days and I had a good few of theirs.

My all-time favourite 12" record was a decade later though - De'lacy "Hideaway" '95 Deep Dish Mix, narrowly beating a 12" remix of Robin S "Show Me Love" which I picked up in Melbourne, of all places, a year or two before.

Now the memories are flooding back!

I had a quality 12" of The Source featuring Candi Staton doing "You Got The Love". It had such an impact that me and my flatmates at the time had found a stray cat, took it home and named it Staton in tribute :greengrin

Other classic was Massive Attack, "Unfinished Sympathy", I think the Voyager remix.

Again, they got snapped up by my little sister, and I suspect and fear she probably punted them at some point.

Hiber-nation
18-03-2018, 07:35 AM
Got a big box of them, mostly late 70s and I really need to get rid of them although I'll be keeping Blue Monday for posterity!

You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) by Sylvester and I Travel by Simple Minds are 2 that come to mind right away.

Killiehibbie
18-03-2018, 04:10 PM

33cm? Must've gained a bit over the years.

Greentinted
18-03-2018, 06:20 PM
Quite like the Brothers in Rhythm remix of Heaven 17’s Temptation.
https://youtu.be/7ZpCSrfvOjA

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-03-2018, 06:38 PM
U2's Even better than the real thing - Perfecto Mix
808 State - Pacific
FPI Project - Back to my roots

patch1875
18-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Belouis Some - Imagination

patch1875
18-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Soft Cell - Tainted love/Where Did Our Love Go.

Sergey
18-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Soft Cell - Tainted love/Where Did Our Love Go.

Tainted Dub was the best version.

Brand New Friend by Lloyd Cole was also a fantastic pressing. I've got loads that I could list. This Mortal Coil are worth a mention with Sixteen Days.

hibsbollah
18-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Blue Monday was my first vinyl purchase. I had no idea it was going to be the biggest 12inch ever. Confusion was a great extended version as well, I preferred it as track at the time and I think I'll listen to again to see if I still do.

Loopz
05-04-2018, 11:46 PM
Had to dig some of my vinyl out for this.

Orbital - Naked and the dead (I have loads of the Hartnoll brothers, my favourites change constantly)
Stone Roses- Sally Cinnamon (Again loads of SR, although I had to give Ozyhibby back 2 bootleg live recordings that I was keeping for him)
Leftfield - Not forgotten (Takes me back)
Primal Scream - Come together
World of twist - She’s a rainbow (its a picture disc)
St Etienne - Only love can break your heart (Hacienda bus to Glasgow from The Dodger)
Ride - Dreams burn down
Northside - My rising star
Bridewell taxis - Honesty (This is 7 not 12 inch)
Real people - Window pane (Played at the Kronk in Fife)
808 state - In yer face
Paris Angels - All on you

My sister in law got a turntable for Xmas so I listened to lots of these for the first time in about 20 years recently, happy days. Glad I kept my vinyl, its all still in really good condition.

JeMeSouviens
06-04-2018, 09:54 AM
I had a bunch of these, probably they're in the loft. :confused:

Fool's Gold with the dolphins and Simple Minds* - The American spring to mind.

* before they were *****. :wink:

Geo_1875
06-04-2018, 10:01 AM
A Boy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray and Blow Your House Down are both magnificent and guaranteed to piss off the neighbours

The Kane Gang - Small Town Creed was another favourite.

MagicSwirlingShip
06-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Nightmares on Wax - Smokers Delight, got it spinning now 😎

Captain Trips
08-04-2018, 11:14 PM
Now the memories are flooding back!

I had a quality 12" of The Source featuring Candi Staton doing "You Got The Love". It had such an impact that me and my flatmates at the time had found a stray cat, took it home and named it Staton in tribute :greengrin

Other classic was Massive Attack, "Unfinished Sympathy", I think the Voyager remix.

Again, they got snapped up by my little sister, and I suspect and fear she probably punted them at some point.

I'm sure you knew but this is were The source "sourced" the tune.

https://youtu.be/hPrGnh7QUDo

Derek Dougan
11-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Win-You've got the power. Going back a bit now :)

Captain Trips
11-04-2018, 07:46 PM
Win-You've got the power. Going back a bit now :)

Used in a larger advert if I remember correctly.

Colr
11-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Tainted Dub was the best version.

Brand New Friend by Lloyd Cole was also a fantastic pressing. I've got loads that I could list. This Mortal Coil are worth a mention with Sixteen Days.

Lloyd Cole was good.

Age of Chance Kiss was good too.

Geo_1875
12-04-2018, 08:11 AM

McEwans piss

Derek Dougan
12-04-2018, 07:10 PM

It was! McEwans used to promote a lot of young Scottish bands at the time. My mate worked for them and got loads of free concert tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
23-04-2018, 10:05 PM
Is it only remixes or 12"vinyl? I've got Motorhead's Motorhead's from the time it was released in 77.Johnny Thunders You can't put you arm round a memory. Grandmaster Flash The Message. Favourite remix?Was not was Out come the freaks or King Sunny Ade's Synchro System...

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk