PDA

View Full Version : John Doolan

StevieT
18-03-2018, 12:03 AM
I was at the Accrington Stanley match today and John is on their coaching staff. I managed to have a chat with him after the game and he told me loves Hibs. He was laughing as he remembered running towards the corner flag when the winning goal went in at the cup final. All in all he is a really nice guy and loved his time at us.

Sammy7nil
18-03-2018, 12:38 AM
Good to hear

Forza Fred
18-03-2018, 12:41 AM
I was at the Accrington Stanley match today and John is on their coaching staff. I managed to have a chat with him after the game and he told me loves Hibs. He was laughing as he remembered running towards the corner flag when the winning goal went in at the cup final. All in all he is a really nice guy and loved his time at us.

Looking at promotion this year, and helped me win a small sum today.

Interestingly enough, I remember as a laddie the news programme on the tv advising that Accrington Stanley had gone bust and were withdrawing from the football league in the very early sixties.....first time I had ever heard of such a thing and left me perplexed!

Glory Lurker
18-03-2018, 12:45 AM
I can’t quantify just how much I love John Doolan. :not worth:flag::not worth:flag:

Sauzee16
18-03-2018, 12:49 AM
Would have loved him back at Easter Road I thought he was manager material too.

poolman
18-03-2018, 02:30 AM
You could hear the genuine affection he has for Hibs on the Cup Final DVD's
He's a class act :agree:

Baader
18-03-2018, 02:24 PM
You could hear the genuine affection he has for Hibs on the Cup Final DVD's
He's a class act :agree:

A class act indeed. Hibs hero

yonder1875
18-03-2018, 04:21 PM
The DVD really showed what he's all about, great guy. Does anyone know if he's been back for a game?

StevieT
18-03-2018, 09:34 PM
The DVD really showed what he's all about, great guy. Does anyone know if he's been back for a game?

He said he was coming back for a supporters do

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-03-2018, 09:39 PM

Absolutely! I didn't think I could love the 2016 squad anymore until you hear some of the personal stories. Conrad is one of them but the John Doolan story is something else!

With the feel good factor at an all time high we should be getting him on the pitch at half time! Along with everyone else that day, a hibs legend

I well up every time I watch the clip of him making a B-line for the players after the winner

crash
18-03-2018, 09:43 PM
what a load of sentimental garbage

jacomo
18-03-2018, 09:46 PM

Why are you a Hibs fan?

Sentimentalism has carried us through a lot of dark times.

Jones28
18-03-2018, 09:46 PM

Or...cup winning hero?

Ringothedog
18-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Sentimental maybe , garbage,have a word!

Austinho
18-03-2018, 10:11 PM
I was living in New Zealand in 2016, and flew home for the cup final to surprise my dad. Headed up to Edinburgh for the parade the following day, got pretty inebriated and stayed at a friend’s that night.

The next morning, I was walking past the stadium very worse for wear, jet lagged and still in last nights Hibs shirt, when a man with a scouse accent approached me on the street. “Did you enjoy the game?” He asked. Hearing the scouse accent, I assumed he only had a passing interest and so I rambled on about how I flew from the other side world to see the game etc etc. Didn’t ask him if he’d watched the game or been to the parade and I’m now glad I didn’t as it could have been rather embarrassing! Was only when I saw the newspapers after that I realised that scouse man had been on the bloody bus. I didn’t even recognise our own assistant manager. Sorry John!

Ozymandias
18-03-2018, 10:20 PM
What a weird post.
A wee feel-good story from a fellow fan about a man who played a central part in what for pretty much everyone on here was the best footballing day of their lives.
If you can't feel sentimental about that, you're probably best just saying nothing at all rather than decrying it is garbage.

Hiber-nation
18-03-2018, 10:21 PM

You love posting pish don't you? You seem to hate Hibs though.

blackpoolhibs
19-03-2018, 07:35 AM
I know some folk will find this strange, and i'm not trying to belittle Alan Stubbs, but i like John Doolan more than i do Stubbs.

I find Doolan gets us more than anyone who had probably never given us a second thought until coming to the club.

I think Doolan genuinely loves us now, and would come back in some capacity if asked.

Maybe he just comes over better than Stubbs, but i just have a real affection for this man, more than anyone else i can name.

calumhibee1
19-03-2018, 07:37 AM

ltyf

Albanian Hibs
19-03-2018, 07:50 AM

The only thing that's garbage is your post

Sauzee16
19-03-2018, 08:09 AM
I know some folk will find this strange, and i'm not trying to belittle Alan Stubbs, but i like John Doolan more than i do Stubbs.

I find Doolan gets us more than anyone who had probably never given us a second thought until coming to the club.

I think Doolan genuinely loves us now, and would come back in some capacity if asked.

Maybe he just comes over better than Stubbs, but i just have a real affection for this man, more than anyone else i can name.

I’m in this boat too. He’s gold.

Waxy
19-03-2018, 08:24 AM

You’ll be the same about your management team when yous win the league cup.If it ever happens.

Dashing Bob S
19-03-2018, 08:26 AM

Difficult to see what would be left in either football fandom or indeed football itself, if you removed ‘sentimental garbage’. It’s not a rational pursuit and we shouldn’t be deluded enough to assume so.

SirDavidsNapper
19-03-2018, 08:29 AM

You don't mean that do you?

One Day Soon
19-03-2018, 08:31 AM

My you're in a bad mood. Your scarf wasn't stolen recently by any chance?

Bristolhibby
19-03-2018, 08:34 AM

Him and Stubbsy were speakers at the pre match lunch at the Bonnyrigg Rose game.

I finally got to see the Cup that day.

J

IWasThere2016
19-03-2018, 12:16 PM

It's a great day oot at the WHAM Stadium .. I even saw Chris Dagnall score a goal!

Thrilling Stanley fitback last April... 0-2 to 3-2 with Crewe having a 92nd minute equaliser ruled out for offside!

Were you in hospitality in the big Portakabin ST?

CallumLaidlaw
19-03-2018, 12:24 PM

You’re maybe right about him coming over better. I spoke to stubbs a couple of times and he doesn’t speak as passionately as JD. But JD certainly “got” Hibs. Always remember standing outside the Murrayfield hotel on the day of the 2-2 cup game. The team bus went past and JD was right up the front waving to fans and beating his fist off his chest. He was ready that day certainly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevieT
19-03-2018, 12:37 PM
It's a great day oot at the WHAM Stadium .. I even saw Chris Dagnall score a goal!

Thrilling Stanley fitback last April... 0-2 to 3-2 with Crewe having a 92nd minute equaliser ruled out for offside!

Were you in hospitality in the big Portakabin ST?

The hospitality was in the sportsman’s bar. Stepped straight out in to our seats . Was blood freezing mind, coldest I’ve ever been at a game. Was good value for money with pints £1 after the game because Stanley won.

johncrobertson@
19-03-2018, 08:21 PM
My you're in a bad mood. Your scarf wasn't stolen recently by any chance?

Crash - How appropriate!!

givescotlandfreedom
19-03-2018, 10:15 PM
The man is class. In his role and as a man.

19-03-2018, 10:27 PM
You don't mean that do you?

It's top trolling.

Re Doolan, a great bloke and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him back at ER someday.

19-03-2018, 11:02 PM
John Doolan is a true gentleman and forever a hibs legend :not worth:flag:

Ronster117
20-03-2018, 01:02 AM

you couldn’t have been part of the biggest celebrations this city has ever seen....I for one have been very sentimental, on more than one occasion.

crash
20-03-2018, 06:27 AM
It's top trolling.

Re Doolan, a great bloke and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him back at ER someday.[/QUOTE]

:agree::greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
20-03-2018, 07:35 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/SXjSd9UIL6dJC/giphy.gif

IWasThere2016
20-03-2018, 01:24 PM
The hospitality was in the sportsman’s bar. Stepped straight out in to our seats . Was blood freezing mind, coldest I’ve ever been at a game. Was good value for money with pints £1 after the game because Stanley won.

Let me know if you're doon again :thumbsup:

When I was there the first two guys I spoke to were Dundonians! :faf:

monktonharp
20-03-2018, 04:32 PM
I was at the Accrington Stanley match today and John is on their coaching staff. I managed to have a chat with him after the game and he told me loves Hibs. He was laughing as he remembered running towards the corner flag when the winning goal went in at the cup final. All in all he is a really nice guy and loved his time at us.I had a couple of texts from Mr Doolan over the weekend and he did metion that he had some great craic with a couple of Hibbies at their game.John is one of life's good guys and will talk to anyone about football , whatever team the support but he does Love the Hibs.

RIP Bestie
21-03-2018, 09:12 PM

:fishin::slipper:

Lol Crash you're a bad bad boy.
so funny watching folk take the bait.

LancashireHibby
21-03-2018, 09:17 PM
I was living in New Zealand in 2016, and flew home for the cup final to surprise my dad. Headed up to Edinburgh for the parade the following day, got pretty inebriated and stayed at a friend’s that night.

The next morning, I was walking past the stadium very worse for wear, jet lagged and still in last nights Hibs shirt, when a man with a scouse accent approached me on the street. “Did you enjoy the game?” He asked. Hearing the scouse accent, I assumed he only had a passing interest and so I rambled on about how I flew from the other side world to see the game etc etc. Didn’t ask him if he’d watched the game or been to the parade and I’m now glad I didn’t as it could have been rather embarrassing! Was only when I saw the newspapers after that I realised that scouse man had been on the bloody bus. I didn’t even recognise our own assistant manager. Sorry John!
In fairness I managed to do something similar when sat on the same table as John Doolan and Andy Holden on a train back from Waverley once, only this was for the first 20 minutes in to a two and a half hour journey! By the time we’d reached Penrith, I’d even had a phone conversation with Alan Stubbs! Having mentioned to all three of them about how much winning the Cup would mean to us, I’d like to think I played my own small part in that day. John passed on his phone number and said to get in touch if I was struggling for any tickets etc.

PatHead
17-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Are congratulations now due?

Mr White
17-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Are congratulations now due?

They certainly are, well done JD :thumbsup:

PatHead
17-04-2018, 08:57 PM
They certainly are, well done JD :thumbsup:

Congratulations to a Hibs legend. Wonder if he ran down the touch line to celebrate?

gogsy23
17-04-2018, 08:58 PM
Well done JD, couldn't happen to a better guy.

angus hibby
17-04-2018, 08:59 PM
Congratulations to a Hibs legend. Wonder if he ran down the touch line to celebrate?

Dunno about that but he witnessed another pitch invasion!!

monktonharp
17-04-2018, 10:54 PM
bloody hell. just checked and realised they just won the game against Yeovil! 2 nil against the English hoops lol. congrats to Acc. Stanley and the great J.Doolan for securing promotion. :top marks

frazeHFC
18-04-2018, 06:59 AM
A Scottish Cup win and a promotion out of a very tough league on his CV already, delighted for him!