PDA

View Full Version : Cabbage and Ribs

SouthMoroccoStu
15-03-2018, 08:44 PM
Hibs

Always wondered why we, a scottish football team, have a cockney rhyming slang nickname?

Any ideas?

O'Rourke3
15-03-2018, 08:51 PM
The current buns? Doesn't answer the question though...

Viva_Palmeiras
15-03-2018, 08:58 PM
The current buns? Doesn't answer the question though...

The Harry Wraggs

Seekyit
15-03-2018, 08:59 PM
Is it cockney or just rhyming slang that we’ve developed?

One Day Soon
15-03-2018, 09:01 PM
I've always wondered why we don't really have a nickname at all.

Well, until The Peacocks came along that is.

Juice-Terry
15-03-2018, 09:03 PM
For the same reason any other word in Scottish stems from rhyming slang.

ancient hibee
15-03-2018, 09:06 PM
A pedant says.With cockney slang you don’t use the rhyming word.

e.g.

He’s my china(plate). Mate

I’ll take a butchers (hook). Look.

I’m going up the apples(and pears). Stairs.

He’s a real berk(Berkeley Hunt). Nasty fellow.

More useless info supplied by demand.

wpj
15-03-2018, 09:08 PM
A few Londoners call it jockny rhyming slang a good few down here

One Day Soon
15-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Anybody want to buy some arms (and legs)?

Sauzee16
15-03-2018, 09:16 PM

Don’t be losing me bees now.

CockneyRebel
15-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Is it cockney or just rhyming slang that we’ve developed?

I first came to Scotland in 1970 and rhying slang was already in use far and wide here - pretty sure it was a straight lift from the cock a knee tribe as you don't find it anywhere else in the world.
First one I heard up here was concerning the Asian owner of the local corner shop being described as an Hamilton Acci. Not very PC just now but very funny at the time.
I think the last word is kept in until the word/phrase is known well enough to drop it.

basehibby
15-03-2018, 09:41 PM
I first came to Scotland in 1970 and rhying slang was already in use far and wide here - pretty sure it was a straight lift from the cock a knee tribe as you don't find it anywhere else in the world.
First one I heard up here was concerning the Asian owner of the local corner shop being described as an Hamilton Acci. Not very PC just now but very funny at the time.
I think the last word is kept in until the word/phrase is known well enough to drop it.

Yep - there's loads of Scottish Rhyming slang - one which I commonly use is "say again - I'm half ham and beef"

Ham and beef = deef - in the cockney version - mutton and jeff = deaf

One Day Soon
15-03-2018, 09:48 PM
Yep - there's loads of Scottish Rhyming slang - one which I commonly use is "say again - I'm half ham and beef"

Interesting:

Jim Delahunt
Brown Breed

Greenfly
15-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Better cabbage 'n' ribs than jam tarts anyway

majorhibs
15-03-2018, 10:02 PM
One thing always perplexed me, been away from Edinburgh & Scotland for a while, just lookin for some home comforts & a couple of relaxing beers, dropped by cabbage & ribs pub a couple of times early evenings, & I was just scunnered to have to listen to the Poppy thief supportin muppets workin behind the bar & bein so brazen about their allegiances! Seriously whoever ran that bar deserved it shutting down, Hibs stuff all over the walls & smug wee halfwits s******ing away at how they had 12 fingers & worked in a bar serving hobos! Seriously! Apart from the career suicide of the owners, the conceited up theirselves hertz twats working in the cabbage & ribs, l am so happy you lost your jobs & I hope your new employers spot you right off for the lying untrustworthy fork tongued pieces of slime that you are.

Kato
15-03-2018, 10:05 PM

Rhyming slang isn't exclusive to the cockerknees and has been prevalent in Edinburgh for decades. Stockholm also has it's own version, in Swedish natch.

hibsbollah
15-03-2018, 10:06 PM
One thing always perplexed me, been away from Edinburgh & Scotland for a while, just lookin for some home comforts & a couple of relaxing beers, dropped by cabbage & ribs pub a couple of times early evenings, & I was just scunnered to have to listen to the Poppy thief supportin muppets workin behind the bar & bein so brazen about their allegiances! Seriously whoever ran that bar deserved it shutting down, Hibs stuff all over the walls & smug wee halfwits s******ing away at how they had 12 fingers & worked in a bar serving hobos! Seriously! Apart from the career suicide of the owners, the conceited up theirselves hertz twats working in the cabbage & ribs, l am so happy you lost your jobs & I hope your new employers spot you right off for the lying untrustworthy fork tongued pieces of slime that you are.

What a load of eartha kitt:greengrin

hibsbollah
15-03-2018, 10:07 PM

Nonsense, it's 'speak up, I'm a bit Lee Van Cleef'.

One Day Soon
15-03-2018, 10:08 PM

That's a bit crap, it doesn't rhyme with anything.

majorhibs
15-03-2018, 10:31 PM
What a load of eartha kitt:greengrin

That's a bit crap, it doesn't rhyme with anything.

No worth a dollar, best left in the groond, snake eyes Van Cleef kens the right story, Santa Baby, but cannae find anything rhyming wi Eartha Kitt?

BigT-Hibeez
15-03-2018, 10:46 PM
Ram it up yer Cameron Toll

One Day Soon
15-03-2018, 10:50 PM
No worth a dollar, best left in the groond, snake eyes Van Cleef kens the right story, Santa Baby, but cannae find anything rhyming wi Eartha Kitt?

Katarina Witt?

houstonhibbee
16-03-2018, 12:32 AM
I've always wondered why we don't really have a nickname at all.

Well, until The Peacocks came along that is.

I think our official nickname is The Hi-Bees but apologies if that is obvious and I misunderstood your comment

Viva_Palmeiras
16-03-2018, 03:43 AM

In a bizarre way I sort of hope that what your saying is true (I don’t really) cos if it’s not true you’ve just slung a lot of muck in their direction.

Peevemor
16-03-2018, 05:25 AM

It was just next to my old flat and I used to be in there probably about once a week. I never had any bother with the staff.

SirDavidsNapper
16-03-2018, 05:32 AM
Good pub

Nameless
16-03-2018, 05:42 AM
My mates on the Rock'n'Roll.
When I visit him I get a Joe.
He's only happy when watching the Cabbage or getting his Jam Roll.

True story.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Green_one
16-03-2018, 06:01 AM
Interesting:

Jim Delahunt
Brown Breed

Irvine Welsh books are full of it

Septic tank ~ A yank
Hampden roar ~ score. You know the hampden on this

Not new but new ones are created Can be very clever or just obscure
Best when just the first word used

hibbie02
16-03-2018, 06:53 AM
Irvine Welsh books are full of it

Septic tank ~ A yank
Hampden roar ~ score. You know the hampden on this

Not new but new ones are created Can be very clever or just obscure
Best when just the first word used

Some of Irvine's one's are a wee bit obscure and take a wee bit of thinking about. Like Sick Boy referring to a bit of Manto. Took me a few seconds then I laughed out loud!

LancsHibs
16-03-2018, 07:01 AM

Saudi Arabia?

superfurryhibby
16-03-2018, 07:04 AM
Some of Irvine's one's are a wee bit obscure and take a wee bit of thinking about. Like Sick Boy referring to a bit of Manto. Took me a few seconds then I laughed out loud!

The updated version is "Shereen" after Ms Nanjiani, the newsreader.

We have our own rythming slanf in this hoose. Water ae Leith- teeth, Mike Sked- bed, Jake Mc Gurk- work, nae Tony Stanger- nae danger.

Killiehibbie
16-03-2018, 07:08 AM
A Lemon is definitely a Scottish word.

Killiehibbie
16-03-2018, 07:10 AM

We have our own rythming slanf in this hoose. Water ae Leith- teeth, Mike Sked- bed, Jake Mc Gurk- work, nae Tony Stanger- nae danger.Nae Stewart Granger is that right:greengrin

16-03-2018, 08:23 AM
Feeling rough today. Was on the cyril last night.

InchHibby
16-03-2018, 08:28 AM
Interesting:

Jim Delahunt
Brown Breed

Jack & Danny

Sauzee16
16-03-2018, 08:36 AM
For ages I’ve used I’m away for a Jimmy or a Jarko depending on my mood 😄

NthCarolinaHibs
16-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Ouch!!! Duke of Argyle's...

PapillonVert
16-03-2018, 09:14 AM
Believe that Cabbage 'n' Ribs is relatively recent.

Way back when used to be Pen Nibs (or, when we lost, Damp Squibs).

hibsbollah
16-03-2018, 09:37 AM
Ouch!!! Duke of Argyle's...

Maitland Niles, Nobby Stiles, Tate n Lyles, Harry Styles (courtesy of Viz comic)

The Pointer
16-03-2018, 10:57 AM
I'm going radio rental (not really) as rhyming slang has been around in Scotland for donkey's.

Some from both north and south of the border and they're fairly self-explanatory:

Lilian Gish, charter flight, corned beef, Berwick (upon Tweed), bran scone (I'll gie you a bran), apples and pears, haw maws, titfer (tit for tat), Barnet (Fair), plates of meat, Desmond Hacket, Kerry Packer(ed), loop-de-loop (soup), Donald (Ducked) etc, etc.

Geo_1875
16-03-2018, 11:26 AM

Some of them are very contrived and others change with time. You'd have to be of a certain age to pick up the Manto reference but everyone knows Shereen.

As an aside, I used to work with a guy many years ago who didn't quite get the hang of rhyming slang and would always get the second word wrong, Septic Yank and Apple and Stairs. He never quite understood why folk laughed at him.

snooky
16-03-2018, 11:39 AM
I'm going radio rental (not really) as rhyming slang has been around in Scotland for donkey's.

Some from both north and south of the border and they're fairly self-explanatory:

Lilian Gish, charter flight, corned beef, Berwick (upon Tweed), bran scone (I'll gie you a bran), apples and pears, haw maws, titfer (tit for tat), Barnet (Fair), plates of meat, Desmond Hacket, Kerry Packer(ed), loop-de-loop (soup), Donald (Ducked) etc, etc.

Eartha Kitt, Tom Kite, Dukes (Duke of Argylls), J Arthur Rank, Jew's wish, Jimmy Riddle, Jumpin' Jack Flash.

(All related to the body)

Lendo
16-03-2018, 11:54 AM
'mon Lennon's Peacocks!

Peevemor
16-03-2018, 11:59 AM
There was a wee family business contractor that did quite a bit of work with us. The boss was a great gut but he always talked round in circles. Any conversation with him would be full of pauses as you worked out what he was on about.

His nephew Des, the driver-labourer, was always referred to as either Tutu or the Transport Manager.

He once explained that the foundations for an extension were taking longer than expected as the ground was full of "big Johns". Big John = John Wayne = stane = stone.

There are loads more, but years of counselling have helped me forget them.

hibbie02
16-03-2018, 11:59 AM
Some of them are very contrived and others change with time. You'd have to be of a certain age to pick up the Manto reference but everyone knows Shereen.

As an aside, I used to work with a guy many years ago who didn't quite get the hang of rhyming slang and would always get the second word wrong, Septic Yank and Apple and Stairs. He never quite understood why folk laughed at him.

I never got Shereen.... Thanks for helping out there, but I'm none the wiser who she is. I do get the meaning though.

Geo_1875
16-03-2018, 12:27 PM
I never got Shereen.... Thanks for helping out there, but I'm none the wiser who she is. I do get the meaning though.

STV presenter (https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.um8YmW6LGahDQBZIjt4buAHaED&w=300&h=164&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7)

O'Rourke3
16-03-2018, 12:56 PM
Some of Irvine's one's are a wee bit obscure and take a wee bit of thinking about. Like Sick Boy referring to a bit of Manto. Took me a few seconds then I laughed out loud!First saw mantovani used in Hibs Monthly. Seem to recall it was in connection with Geebes who was allegedly chasing it..

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
16-03-2018, 01:18 PM
First saw mantovani used in Hibs Monthly. Seem to recall it was in connection with Geebes who was allegedly chasing it..

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Irvine was a regular contributor to Hibs Monthly, under the name of Octopus.

hibbybob
16-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Not "rhyming" slang but an old friend of mine used to often comment that "it's a bit Pearl Harbour today"
I eventually bit and asked what it meant.
It's chilly - "there's a nip in the air"

PapillonVert
16-03-2018, 02:07 PM
Not "rhyming" slang but an old friend of mine used to often comment that "it's a bit Pearl Harbour today"

Years (and years) ago when I was but a naive lassie, I worked beside someone called Harry. When asked if he would be doing anything that evening after work, he would invariably respond, "Aye, I'm off tae the Battle Cruiser".

For years, I thought there was a pub somewhere in Edinburgh called the Battle Cruiser until one day enlightenment dawned. :greengrin

hibbie02
16-03-2018, 02:14 PM

Haha! When it's cold, I point to the sky and ask: "Is that a wee Japanese pilot?". Not sure how PC that is nowadays though... :greengrin

Is It On....
16-03-2018, 02:25 PM
A pedant says.With cockney slang you don’t use the rhyming word.

e.g.

He’s my china(plate). Mate

I’ll take a butchers (hook). Look.

I’m going up the apples(and pears). Stairs.

He’s a real berk(Berkeley Hunt). Nasty fellow.

More useless info supplied by demand.

Might take you up on. First I need to get on the Dog and Bone and order a Ruby in time for the footie tonight.

Is It On....
16-03-2018, 02:28 PM

We have our own rythming slanf in this hoose. Water ae Leith- teeth, Mike Sked- bed, Jake Mc Gurk- work, nae Tony Stanger- nae danger.

Remember a friend always talking about going out at the weekend to get a bit of Shereen.

16-03-2018, 04:21 PM
Haha! When it's cold, I point to the sky and ask: "Is that a wee Japanese pilot?". Not sure how PC that is nowadays though... :greengrin

Yeah it’s racist.

superfurryhibby
16-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Cuff linky for chinese takeaway. Jews wish for urination. Tom Kite for defecation. Hamilton Accies, local shop, Colin Nish for not very good at something. Hee-haws, testicles, thruoenny bits, breasts, Donald ducked, worse for wear........

Some of these are no longer used in the Superfuury household.

Liberal Hibby
16-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Believe that Cabbage 'n' Ribs is relatively recent.

Way back when used to be Pen Nibs (or, when we lost, Damp Squibs).

Yup - remember that too. Wonder if the Cabbage and Ribs comes from the pub - not the other way round?

CropleyWasGod
16-03-2018, 05:03 PM
Yup - remember that too. Wonder if the Cabbage and Ribs comes from the pub - not the other way round?

Definitely the other way round.

I can remember folk shouting "come on the cabbage" well before the pub, and well before I knew wtf it meant.

Peevemor
16-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Yup - remember that too. Wonder if the Cabbage and Ribs comes from the pub - not the other way round?No, the pub was named after Hibs' nickname.

snooky
16-03-2018, 05:11 PM
In the same vein, were we called "The Cabbage" before and the C&R was an extension of it or was The Cabbage an abbreviation?

About 15(?) years ago, I remember a billboard ad on the Albion Road/Easter Road junction (I think for the Co-op) that said "The Second Best Place To Go And See The Cabbage" (or something like that). The best strategically located billposter EVER.

Peevemor
16-03-2018, 05:44 PM
In the same vein, were we called "The Cabbage" before and the C&R was an extension of it or was The Cabbage an abbreviation?

About 15(?) years ago, I remember a billboard ad on the Albion Road/Easter Road junction (I think for the Co-op) that said "The Second Best Place To Go And See The Cabbage" (or something like that). The best strategically located billposter EVER.

My experience was that I first heard us called the cabbage(s) by Hearts supporting mates, though it was definitely an abbreviation of cabbage and ribs. The first time I heard " 'mon the cabbage" at ER was probably in the late 80s.

hibbie02
16-03-2018, 06:18 PM
Yeah it’s racist.

Thanks for confirming that. Useful.

MGmick
16-03-2018, 06:45 PM
My experience was that I first heard us called the cabbage(s) by Hearts supporting mates, though it was definitely an abbreviation of cabbage and ribs. The first time I heard " 'mon the cabbage" at ER was probably in the late 80s.

I'm 5 or 6 years older than you and I can remember The Cabbage and The Pen Nibs from the early 70's at least.

16-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Jam Tarts?

MGmick
16-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Jam Tarts?

Billy Hunt's ?

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-03-2018, 11:23 PM
Years ago you couldnae beat a good Forrest after a big day out, probably should be a Donald now.

1875godsgift
16-03-2018, 11:30 PM
Years ago you couldnae beat a good Forrest after a big day out, probably should be a Donald now.

Donald Duck?

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-03-2018, 11:43 PM
Donald Duck?

That would do. Just stay away from the chorus.

andybev1
08-04-2018, 04:30 PM

must admit it took be a visit to a urban dictionary to find out what the hell it was.

green day
08-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Donald Duck?
Trump

judas
09-04-2018, 08:07 PM
Hibs

Always wondered why we, a scottish football team, have a cockney rhyming slang nickname?

Any ideas?

It's a nickname I hate.

When folk shout 'MON THE CABBAGE, I often cringe.

WeeRussell
10-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Does anyone actually eat cabbage with ribs :confused:

Peevemor
10-04-2018, 11:28 AM

https://www.google.fr/search?q=cabbage+and+ribs&ei=zp_MWs2kG8yQkwWF6KCQBg&start=0&sa=N&biw=1920&bih=900

heretoday
10-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Rhyming slang is not exclusive to London and never has been, me ole china.

I've never heard the Lilian Gish classic in London. Only up here. I'm off for one now, in fact.

WeeRussell
10-04-2018, 11:36 AM
https://www.google.fr/search?q=cabbage+and+ribs&ei=zp_MWs2kG8yQkwWF6KCQBg&start=0&sa=N&biw=1920&bih=900

:aok:

Genuinely always suspected it was just two foods thrown together for the sake of our nickname. I like it more now I know it's an actual dish :greengrin

Peevemor
10-04-2018, 12:03 PM
:aok:

Genuinely always suspected it was just two foods thrown together for the sake of our nickname. I like it more now I know it's an actual dish :greengrin

Before supermarket shelves filled up with imported and out-of-season fruit & veg, people used to eat what was available - including a lot more cabbage than is eaten now.

Cabbage and ribs was a standard, along the lines of mince & tatties, liver & onions, etc.

DstN75
10-04-2018, 03:41 PM
Two I've never understood where they come from are Derby Kelly (belly) and Joe Baxi (taxi).

A lot of people seem to say pony for something that's rubbish - from Pony and Trap I think.

pollution
10-04-2018, 04:18 PM

You bet! Smoked ham ribs from Morrisons meat counter slowly braised with a white cabbage.

The Pointer
10-04-2018, 08:40 PM
It's a nickname I hate.

It's not really rhyming slang but my brother and I still refer to getting a 'Judas' before going to a party, as in a 'Judas Iscerryoot'.

:dunno:

WeeRussell
10-04-2018, 09:38 PM
Before supermarket shelves filled up with imported and out-of-season fruit & veg, people used to eat what was available - including a lot more cabbage than is eaten now.

Cabbage and ribs was a standard, along the lines of mince & tatties, liver & onions, etc.

Every day a school one!

tamig
10-04-2018, 09:41 PM

I've never heard the Lilian Gish classic in London. Only up here. I'm off for one now, in fact.

Single fish for me bud.

Peevemor
11-04-2018, 05:28 AM
Two I've never understood where they come from are Derby Kelly (belly) and Joe Baxi (taxi).

A lot of people seem to say pony for something that's rubbish - from Pony and Trap I think.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Baksi

One Day
11-04-2018, 07:27 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Baksi

Every day is a school day

Arch Stanton
11-04-2018, 08:31 AM

I've never heard the Lilian Gish classic in London. Only up here. I'm off for one now, in fact.'

Indeed, I can't see your actual cockney using 'winners' for trousers.

CockneyRebel
11-04-2018, 09:46 AM
'

Indeed, I can't see your actual cockney using 'winners' for trousers.

Never said exclusive to my tribe but it did start early, traced back to the 1800s and used by costermongers (market traders/stallholders etc.) at Covent Garden and Smithfield meat market as a way to converse without the customers/general public understanding. Wherever it started from it has spread pretty widely and taken on local flavours. When I was a lad there was never a Lillian Gish, it was always a Jimmy Riddle, piddle. No James Hunt, it was always Albert Hall - Finger Stall. At that time there was never any rhyming slang for the harder swearwords, that has come in over the years and over the spreading of it's use. Some of the more modern ones are very clever and very funny, especially the Scottish ones as I use them on visits to the homeland and I have to explain them and it always gets some laughs.

SON OF PADDY
11-04-2018, 01:39 PM
It's a nickname I hate.

Just as well you don't sit next to me !
As soon as the ref blows his whistle to start the game, I always shout "MON THE CABBAGE" done it all my Hibs supporting life "50 years at least" can't see why it would make you cringe to be honest.
Each to their own I suppose ? 🙄😉

snooky
11-04-2018, 03:42 PM
Just as well you don't sit next to me !
As soon as the ref blows his whistle to start the game, I always shout "MON THE CABBAGE" done it all my Hibs supporting life "50 years at least" can't see why it would make you cringe to be honest.
Each to their own I suppose ? 🙄😉

I can't remember us being called that 50 years ago. I'm not saying you're wrong but if I had to guess I would have thought it started around the 70s/80s. :dunno:

jgl07
13-04-2018, 12:31 AM

When Emperor Hirohito flew to visit the UK, Private Eye had the following front cover:

Hirohito Flies In: There's a Nasty Nip in the Air.

He visited Edinburgh on that trip and a commemorative programme of the visit was produced. One of the advertisers was the 'Royal Nip' on Albert Street.

lord bunberry
13-04-2018, 08:03 AM
My favourite is referring to someone with piles as having the Roger Bannisters. The four minute miles.

SON OF PADDY
13-04-2018, 08:12 AM
I can't remember us being called that 50 years ago. I'm not saying you're wrong but if I had to guess I would have thought it started around the 70s/80s. :dunno:

I started going to ER around 67/68 season !
That's when I first heard it.
And before you say it !! "yes I'm a old *******" 😁

WeeRussell
13-04-2018, 11:31 AM

Bear in mind the 70s were very nearly 50 years ago now, auld yin :greengrin

lord bunberry
14-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Funnily enough this just came up as a question on soccer am. What club is known as the cabbage, they got the right answer.

KWJ
14-04-2018, 11:16 AM
On the Irvine Welsh ones I mind my foreign gf of the time would read it and often ask me to translate. Something being described as "Lou Macari" took a while.