PDA

View Full Version : Interacting With Rivals

Greentinted
15-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Following on from the Carragher incident, and I suppose influenced also by the ‘Hearts players you’ve liked’ thread. Would anybody on here admit to dishing out a bit of grief to rival team’s players/officials (Mercer doesn’t count) in a non-football situation?
For my own part, I’ve met countless football people of many hues (mainly through work) and tended to treat them all as they treated me. I have been fortunate that most, if not all, have been fine...some more fine than others (honourable mentions to our own Pat Stanton, Gary O’C and Grant Brebner) including the likes of Dave MacPherson, Thomas Flögel, Jean Valois and yes, even Gary Locke.
FWIW they’re fair game - within reason - when they cross the white line but otherwise I feel it lacks dignity to randomly dish out abuse to a relative stranger in the street.

lyonhibs
15-03-2018, 04:20 PM
Absolute weirdo behaviour to abuse opposition football players in their own time unless they seriously provoke you by being pisshead ********s or whatever.

hibbysam
15-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Absolute weirdo behaviour to abuse opposition football players in their own time unless they seriously provoke you by being pisshead ********s or whatever.

Agree, anyone over 12 and giving stick to someone in their own time is a tad creepy. Weird.

SouthMoroccoStu
15-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Met a few former hearts players at an old job through a charity football game vs hearts legends (no laughing at the back)

The ones I spoke to all had good chat and did well with the give and take of the banter (that's what it's all about)

But that said I don't know how I would react if Craig Thompson walked into my local - I live in Kent so he's probably safe :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
15-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Agree, anyone over 12 and giving stick to someone in their own time is a tad creepy. Weird.

And then Medals sat opposite me on the train with a “show racism the red card” band...

It was like 7am so I didn’t engage.

Diclonius
15-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Unless I personally know them, I wouldn't initiate conversation with a football player regardless of who they play for (including Hibs players) if I just bumped into them or saw them. Ultimately we don't have any personal connection with each other and it doesn't interest me.

Hillsidehibby
15-03-2018, 04:44 PM
Gave medals MacKay some light hearted abuse a long time ago. We were a bit intoxicated and he was coming out of his pub in Morrison Street Centre Spot. Shows you how long ago it was.

I'll give him his due he replied "give me a pint of what you've been drinking"

1van Sprou7e
15-03-2018, 04:46 PM
Unless I personally know them, I wouldn't initiate conversation with a football player regardless of who they play for (including Hibs players) if I just bumped into them or saw them. Ultimately we don't have any personal connection with each other and it doesn't interest me.

This

I know some of them don't mind the attention but I'd never approach a footballer who's just trying to go about his day to day life

Maybe a quick "alright X" or "mon the hibs" but you've got to have respect and leave themselves to themselves

guthrie01
15-03-2018, 04:51 PM

I follow the same rule, although If I ever meet any of the 2016 squad I would have to say a quick thanks for the cup win of course

edinburghhibee
15-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Me and my mates used to wait at the junction in Edina place with boxes of eggs waiting on the oppositions team buses coming down Easter road prior to the game before belting it with them and running off... enjoyed it then and I’m no sorry to say I’d still prob giggle like a wee school boy at it today... just don’t have the legs to run off these days :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overdrive
15-03-2018, 05:26 PM
Gonzo Skacel was next to my me at the bar once with his ugly as sin burd. Had to bite my tongue.

I agree with the comment about not having a personal connection with them so why try to initiate chat?

Scott Allan Key
15-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Alex MacDonald gave me verbal abuse as I entered Scotia bar in Glasgow in 1992. Later on as he left the pub, I followed him and gave him a two-footed kick to the back of his knees. Of course I didn’t do the latter. Albert Kidd has done everything needed to prick the red-faced balloon.