PDA

View Full Version : MacLaren cut from Socceroo squad

Forza Fred
13-03-2018, 11:09 PM
Not included in the final squad for Norway and Colombia games.

monktonharp
13-03-2018, 11:21 PM
that is a bit of a shock, tbh.

ajf
13-03-2018, 11:31 PM
Ok ! A few goals in our next 3 or 4 games will rectify that

Forza Fred
13-03-2018, 11:33 PM
that is a bit of a shock, tbh.

TBF not at this end.

Jamie hasn’t played a lot of football since he left Oz, and the guy who probably pipped him for a spot, Andrew Nabbout, just completed a big money move to Japan and scored a couple of absolute stunning goals in the past couple of successive weeks before he went...and just before the squad was announced by the new coach.

I guess it’s a case of being in the right place and the right time for him.....and the new coach wanting to see how he performs up a level.

Hopefully Jamie will bang in a few and force himself back into contention

heretoday
14-03-2018, 12:15 AM
He'll just have to score for us big time.

Forza Fred
14-03-2018, 12:38 AM
He'll just have to score for us big time.

Yep.

It must have been the slimmest of marginal calls....but Jamie needs to get goals to force himself back in...and lots of them.

Austinho
14-03-2018, 12:39 AM
His effort can’t be questioned, but hopefully it acts as motivation for him for the remainder of the season. Might also be a blessing in disguise for us if it keeps him off the radar and we want him next year.

14-03-2018, 12:45 AM
Shame, it probably came around a bit too soon for him. Looks like their next match after these ones is in the World Cup so he'll have start banging them in for us to force his way in.

Hi Heid Yin
14-03-2018, 12:48 AM
Considering that McClaren has only just scored his 1st goal for us from open play, it comes as no surprise to see him ommited from the Australian squad.
I'm sure that eyes would have been kept on him by Australian reps since his arrival at Easter Road in January.
What I think they would have seen, on the whole, is a player running about enthusiastically and playing his part in some good link up/creative play, but ultimately spurning chances and not hitting the back of the net - except for the one penalty at Ibrox.
I like McClaren and will feel sorry for him if he ultimately does not make the World Cup Squad, but whilst there is still a flicker of hope (ie: injuries to key Ozzie players in the run up to world cup) then he should knuckle down, grit his teeth and motivate himself to bang in the goals for our club left, right and centre; to put himself back in the window and give the Australian Manager something to seriously think about before his final world cup squad selection.

monktonharp
14-03-2018, 01:04 AM
despite him just nabbing the penalty, then the goal last Friday he has been hovering and had a wee bit of bad lick, his screamer off the bar could have been special had their goalie not got the slightest touch.

Baader
14-03-2018, 01:26 AM
A shame for him. His move to Germany has not worked out. Would like to see him stay with us though.

Souter96Mac
14-03-2018, 08:32 AM
One of the 3 players that didn't make it to the final squad for their upcoming friendlies. Surprised by this, thought he's been going well enough, instead they've picked Cahill who has hardly kicked a ball since returning to Millwall. Hope this doesn't knock him too much

Billy Whizz
14-03-2018, 08:53 AM
This is not the final final squad, just the one for the friendliest coming up this month
Jamie can still make it, go on a scoring spree, squad won’t be announced until 2 weeks before the finals

Hibbyradge
14-03-2018, 09:24 AM
I think it would have been more of a surprise if he'd been included. He's missed a good number of chances since he arrived so that wouldn't have impressed his management.

As people have pointed out, there's still time for him if he starts scoring regularly and getting assists.

Also, it depends on how Australia play. He doesn't seem to be the sort of striker who is adept at bringing others into play, but thrives on making his own runs and playing in the box. That might not suit Oz.

Sauzee16
14-03-2018, 09:30 AM
One of the 3 players that didn't make it to the final squad for their upcoming friendlies. Surprised by this, thought he's been going well enough, instead they've picked Cahill who has hardly kicked a ball since returning to Millwall. Hope this doesn't knock him too much

Cahill needs just a sniff at goal though McLaren has missed a good few. It’s goung to be a tough old WC for Oz Mclaren needs to show he can be relied on to put the ball in the onion bag.

jacomo
14-03-2018, 01:12 PM
This is not the final final squad, just the one for the friendliest coming up this month
Jamie can still make it, go on a scoring spree, squad won’t be announced until 2 weeks before the finals

Yes but normally a coach would take this opportunity to look at a striker or two to see if they can step up.

I’m sure the Aussie coaching team know all there is to know about Tim Cahill.

eastmainsmsh
14-03-2018, 01:45 PM
is van marwjik no the manager

greenlex
14-03-2018, 06:47 PM
What was the point in naming him last week? Since then he scored on Firday , a very good save denies him a Worldy and an all round good game gets him dropped days later. Doesn’t make sense to me.

SouthMoroccoStu
14-03-2018, 07:40 PM
What was the point in naming him last week? Since then he scored on Firday , a very good save denies him a Worldy and an all round good game gets him dropped days later. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Agreed

Dropping 3 players in a squad named last week seems odd

At least get him along to training and see him in action

These friendly warm up games will see an exaggerated amount of subs so why not keep him

Sounds like a managerial power trip

1van Sprou7e
14-03-2018, 07:59 PM
Can't find it now but he replied to a fans PM on Instagram earlier

Says he is enjoying his time here and "loves playing for this club" or something similar

Doubt we can afford him but I'd love to keep him beyond the summer if possible, seems very unlikely I know

Stevie Reid
14-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Real shame for him but gives us more of a chance of keeping him. If we have a chance at all.

One Day
15-03-2018, 01:15 PM
That's a shame but if he keeps playing and scoring goal he will stay in the managers thoughts