PDA

View Full Version : Bartley nearly packed up after two games.....

Jim44
13-03-2018, 02:28 PM
He wasn’t enamoured with Dumbarton’s facilities and had second thoughts .....

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/ton-up-marvin-bartley-almost-quit-hibs-after-two-games-1-4704432

lyonhibs
13-03-2018, 02:30 PM
He wasn’t enamoured with Dumbarton’s facilities and had second thoughts.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&ei=yuynWoaUOon1kwWguY_4DQ&q=edinburgh+news&oq=edinburgh+news&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.12..0i131j0l4.48149.57459..58503...0....188.1 820.2j12..........1..mobile-gws-wiz-serp.....3..41j0i67.q3ihN1FavVQ%3D

I think the link needs a bit of work....

Jim44
13-03-2018, 02:36 PM
I think the link needs a bit of work....

Try this ..... https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/ton-up-marvin-bartley-almost-quit-hibs-after-two-games-1-4704432

HH81
13-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Good read. Were Leyton Orient in league one when he signed?

Good player is Bartley.

Elephant Stone
13-03-2018, 02:45 PM
“We have a good bunch of lads, not only in terms of a football team but off the pitch as well. Some people may take this as arrogance, and I don’t mean for it to sound that way, but no matter who we are playing I can say, hand on heart, we’ve never sat in that dressing-room after training on a Friday and said ‘we might struggle tomorrow"

:flag:

Pretty Boy
13-03-2018, 02:46 PM
A player and character we needed for years. The other players seem to love him and he looks after them on the park.

The 2-2 game at Tynecastle there was a point in the 2nd half when Hearts broke and looked like they were in. Bartley tracked back, eased their player off the ball and regained it. The Hibs end got a huge lift from that and we scored our 1st not long after.

Bishop Hibee
13-03-2018, 02:46 PM
He's been brilliant for Hibs and Hibs have been brilliant for him. Cult hero.

SirDavidsNapper
13-03-2018, 02:52 PM
When your biggest rivals hate you, you know you're doing something right

Smartie
13-03-2018, 03:03 PM
A player and character we needed for years. The other players seem to love him and he looks after them on the park.

The 2-2 game at Tynecastle there was a point in the 2nd half when Hearts broke and looked like they were in. Bartley tracked back, eased their player off the ball and regained it. The Hibs end got a huge lift from that and we scored our 1st not long after.

We've had a few of these over the past few years and it has made the world of difference.

I actually thought Cummings was a great lad, and I was a bit concerned to see how we might get on without him.

Bartley, McGinn, Fontaine, Boyle and tbh a good few more - all great lads who have not only been good players but excellent characters to have around the club.

As they leave, we need to give a bit of thought as to what kind of character comes in to replace them.

IGRIGI
13-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Always brings a tear to my eye the passing of the torch from Matty Jack to Marvin Bartley.

heretoday
13-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Always brings a tear to my eye the passing of the torch from Matty Jack to Marvin Bartley.

Yes.

lyonhibs
13-03-2018, 03:20 PM

It's the 15 odd years in between (2005-2009 apart) that get my tear ducts flowing, but not quite in the same way I imagine.

Diclonius
13-03-2018, 03:30 PM
The fact that Hearts fans single him out for abuse during derbies (especially given he hasn't played for Celtic/Rangers or otherwise gained some degree of notoriety prior to signing for us) is pretty much a seal of approval. Hibs hero.

heretoday
13-03-2018, 03:33 PM
The fact that Hearts fans single him out for abuse during derbies (especially given he hasn't played for Celtic/Rangers or otherwise gained some degree of notoriety prior to signing for us) is pretty much a seal of approval. Hibs hero.

He's a tough guy. Ideally suited to the SPL I'd say.

we are hibs
13-03-2018, 03:35 PM
loved him taking the ball from Lafferty and putting him on his arse the other day. Man's a machine.

hibsbollah
13-03-2018, 03:36 PM
He's just class.

There's a peculiar character that sometimes sits near me at games, and he hates him. 'the worst player in britain' he screamed, at no one in particular once, with his artery bulging out of his neck. I really don't know why you would watch football if you clearly have no understanding of what's going on in front of you :dunno:

Velma Dinkley
13-03-2018, 03:52 PM
I actually like Dumbarton's stadium. Nice views.

Monts
13-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Bartley loves a derby

Scott Allan Key
13-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Isn’t he a decent boxer? Any other players we’ve had who been involved in the noble art?

jeffers
13-03-2018, 05:03 PM
I remember some saying we should keep Fyvie and play him instead of Bartley, but when the going gets tough I know who I'd want in the team. He may not be the most technical, but he's very good at what he does. He never shirks a challenge and provides the back four with great cover, we have noone in our squad as good at that as him. It was noticeable to me that Hearts broke from our corner to get the one they ultimately scored from when he was off injured.

dp00
13-03-2018, 06:00 PM
I think like Boyle that big Marv just gets hibs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poolman
13-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Love the guy :agree:

Jack
13-03-2018, 06:43 PM
I'd like to see him score a goal just so that we can all celebrate and cheer him proper like!

J-C
13-03-2018, 07:49 PM
Not the most gifted player to grace our pitch but handy when you need some dirty work doing or the game to be seen out.

IGRIGI
13-03-2018, 07:54 PM
It's the 15 odd years in between (2005-2009 apart) that get my tear ducts flowing, but not quite in the same way I imagine.

We'll always have that 2004 Rocastle vintage.

Lancs Harp
13-03-2018, 08:08 PM
I'd like to see him score a goal just so that we can all celebrate and cheer him proper like!

This. I'd love to see Marv score a goal for us. Not sure about cheer though I think I would be stood in total silent disbelief. :greengrin

hibsbollah
13-03-2018, 08:14 PM
This. I'd love to see Marv score a goal for us. Not sure about cheer though I think I would be stood in total silent disbelief. :greengrin

We never thought Lewis would score either :greengrin

Elephant Stone
13-03-2018, 08:14 PM
Not the most gifted player to grace our pitch but handy when you need some dirty work doing or the game to be seen out.

Harsh. There's nothing dirty about his play at all, he's basically a flawless defensive midfielder at this level. His positional sense, reading of the game, tackling ability, strength and stamina are perfect as far as I am concerned. He's a really decent player.

J-C
13-03-2018, 08:26 PM
Harsh. There's nothing dirty about his play at all, he's basically a flawless defensive midfielder at this level. His positional sense, reading of the game, tackling ability, strength and stamina are perfect as far as I am concerned. He's a really decent player.

Did I actually say he was dirty, jeez talk about putting words in my mouth. Dirty work means exactly what you posted, all the hard graft, tackling and general tidying up in the midfield when needed.

lyonhibs
13-03-2018, 08:29 PM

"Dirty work" and "playing dirty" are 2 very different things.

For a sleekit dirty *******, see our esteemed neighbours' central "midfielders" (I use the term loosely).

Liam89
13-03-2018, 08:29 PM

Agreed, he's a good passer and always retains possession. Equally, he fairly wins the ball back and out-strengths him opponents.

The_Sauz
13-03-2018, 08:32 PM
He's our beast from the east
Marvin Bartley
:greengrin

I'lll get my coat......:duck:

Elephant Stone
13-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Did I actually say he was dirty, jeez talk about putting words in my mouth. Dirty work means exactly what you posted, all the hard graft, tackling and general tidying up in the midfield when needed.

I'm not putting words in your mouth mate, I just used the word you used :tee hee:

Either way, it's a bit reductive to call what he does 'dirty work'. If that's dirty work them Marciano must be filthy. Marvin is a talented defensive player. If it was easy to do then every team in the league would have someone just as good.

J-C
13-03-2018, 08:44 PM
I'm not putting words in your mouth mate, I just used the word you used :tee hee:

Either way, it's a bit reductive to call what he does 'dirty work'. If that's dirty work them Marciano must be filthy. Marvin is a talented defensive player. If it was easy to do then every team in the league would have someone just as good.

The words I used are "Dirty work" hugely different from being dirty player.:confused:

Yes he's a defensive midfielder who does his job well but let's not get carried away here. He does a certain job for the team but when all the other midfielders are fit and playing well he'll not play. Good player if you want an enforcer or to see out games.

matty_f
13-03-2018, 08:50 PM
I love Marvin Bartley. He's a cracking player, absolutely immense at the role he's given.

Absolutely fearless, tough, and reliable. What's not to like?

jabis
13-03-2018, 08:50 PM
The words I used are "Dirty work" hugely different from being dirty player.:confused:

Yes he's a defensive midfielder who does his job well but let's not get carried away here. He does a certain job for the team but when all the other midfielders are fit and playing well he'll not play. Good player if you want an enforcer or to see out games.
Not required to heehaw the jambos.

Craig_HFC
13-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Big Marv is the man.

monktonharp
13-03-2018, 10:56 PM
Harsh. There's nothing dirty about his play at all, he's basically a flawless defensive midfielder at this level. His positional sense, reading of the game, tackling ability, strength and stamina are perfect as far as I am concerned. He's a really decent player.just the way I see him:agree:

monktonharp
13-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Marvin Bartley
:greengrin

I'lll get my coat......:duck:he's the mouth from the South, Leyton Orient Lip, try givin' him hassle he'll give you some gip. he wont hang about, you don't hear him shout, just try him with hassle , he'll slap you no doubt.

Centre Hawf
13-03-2018, 11:40 PM

I don’t see what the issue is with the term dirty work. He does it. It doesn’t take away from his ability to suggest he does the unglamorous stuff that other midfielders such as Scott Allan may not do.

J-C
14-03-2018, 07:32 AM
I don’t see what the issue is with the term dirty work. He does it. It doesn’t take away from his ability to suggest he does the unglamorous stuff that other midfielders such as Scott Allan may not do.

Exactly, but Elephant Stone thought I was being derogatory toward Bartley calling him dirty, he's a different midfielder that's needed in certain games and situations.

Borderhibbie76
14-03-2018, 08:00 AM
I don’t see what the issue is with the term dirty work. He does it. It doesn’t take away from his ability to suggest he does the unglamorous stuff that other midfielders such as Scott Allan may not do.To be fair Scotty done his fair share of dirty work in the Derby last Friday probably that is that impressed me most about him. His attitude has been spot on since his return. I can remember 1 incident in the corner between West and South stands where he slid in for an excellent t sliding tackle on a yam them ripped the p##h out of said Yam...was a thing of beauty

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Centre Hawf
14-03-2018, 11:06 AM
To be fair Scotty done his fair share of dirty work in the Derby last Friday probably that is that impressed me most about him. His attitude has been spot on since his return. I can remember 1 incident in the corner between West and South stands where he slid in for an excellent t sliding tackle on a yam them ripped the p##h out of said Yam...was a thing of beauty

Yeah he’s had more dig about him since returning I agree. My point was mostly that it’s not an insult to a player to highlight them as a dirty work type. It wasn’t an insult to Matty Jack for example.

Borderhibbie76
14-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Yeah he’s had more dig about him since returning I agree. My point was mostly that it’s not an insult to a player to highlight them as a dirty work type. It wasn’t an insult to Matty Jack for example.Not at all mate there is no denying Marv and Matty Jack excel(ed) in doing the dirtier side of things