PDA

View Full Version : Get our business done early in the Summer

KWJ
13-03-2018, 01:44 PM
We're going to be in Europe, it'll be pretty disappointing if we're not either by missing out on top 3, 4th or by Motherwell/Killie winning Cup. It's very likely we're there.

It starts early and we've got work to be done otherwise we'll be going into it with a threadbare squad.

If he performs in the next couple of games I think we need to make a move for MacLaren to tie him up before the World Cup. Maybe we see how he does in the upcoming internationals but it'd be disappointing to miss out on him because we were too slow.

Kamberi not as urgent but I'm already thinking I'd like to have him back.

Then we need to sort out our midfield 3. If Dylan is to sign on then it'll be with Europe in mind so that should take care of itself one way or the other. Without checking I'd imagine we could hold onto McGinn for long enough that we're either through a couple of rounds in Europe or we're already out and then it's less imperative.

It'd be great to have Scotty tied up but my head tells me that's unlikely until McGinn's money is in. Celtic will be happy to sell to us but they'll want their money back.

Defense is fine bar maybe another Rherras/LB.

I'd be disappointed if we go into our Euro game with Murray and Shaw up top. I like them bother, Shaw in particular but I wanna have a crack at the Euro teams.

SRHibs
13-03-2018, 01:47 PM
I’ve been more impressed with Kamberi. The most important thing is going to be replacing Dylan/McGinn, holding on to Allan, and getting in a real quality striker.

Don’t have any inside knowledge re. Dylan, but it just feels like he’s going to be moving on.

Mallan +1 for midfield would be nice.

heretoday
13-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Aye. There'll be some changes. McGinn is vital for me. If we didn't have him next term I'd feel we were a bit undercooked.

Sas_The_Hibby
13-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but being in Europe is, sadly, pretty irrelevant for us. The likelihood of any European adventure being more than two ties, at the most, is extremely low and, I imagine, pretty far down in priority in the club's thinking.

StevieCowan
13-03-2018, 02:01 PM
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but being in Europe is, sadly, pretty irrelevant for us. The likelihood of any European adventure being more than two ties, at the most, is extremely low and, I imagine, pretty far down in priority in the club's thinking.

You couldnt be further from the truth and although next season might not have been in the plan to be in the Europa Cup the club absolutely want to progress, regularly, in Europe.

hughio
13-03-2018, 02:01 PM
Aye. There'll be some changes. McGinn is vital for me. If we didn't have him next term I'd feel we were a bit undercooked.

Mmm..
I have no inside knowledge but I can't really see that we can realistcally hope to hang on to SJM.We've been blessed to have him this long.
His quality is such that he's destined for greater things.

BUT Please prove me wrong Leanne:aok:

Famous Fiver
13-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Well, that's Neil tellt.

I'll leave it up to him to organise our playing squad for next year.

He's not done too badly up to now.

Garymcl
13-03-2018, 02:13 PM
One of the best ways of keeping our best players is a big uptake of season tickets and contributions to the likes of HSL the earlier we renew or purchase season tickets the better it will at least give Lenny and the board with an advantage to work with like many hibbys ive already renewed and I urge others to do likewise asap :flag:

heretoday
13-03-2018, 02:20 PM

You're right sadly.

It didn't used to be like that.....

Cue archive film!

CropleyWasGod
13-03-2018, 02:27 PM

The TV money from Brondby last season suggests otherwise.

SirDavidsNapper
13-03-2018, 02:29 PM
The reality is one maybe two ties in europe. Glamourised pre season friendlies.

KWJ
13-03-2018, 02:29 PM
Well, that's Neil tellt.

I'll leave it up to him to organise our playing squad for next year.

He's not done too badly up to now.

:bitchy:

That's me telt. Right guys, disband the message board, FF diznae wanna talk about it.

I'd imagine NL and GC already has ideas and possibly things in place for next season with different scenarios.

Some suggesting no chance of having SJM for next season and while I agree it's unlikely he'll be here at the end of August I'm quite confident he could play a part in getting us through a couple of Euro ties.

KWJ
13-03-2018, 02:31 PM

How bloody negative. It's not all that long since Hearts and Aberdeen were in the euro group stages. Bit of luck in the later draws and it's doable. The team just has to be READY for the first tie which is the reason for this post.

Delboy4
13-03-2018, 02:47 PM
Think we all have to be realistic here...

McGinn is probably 95% away. We have been really lucky to have had him at ER for so long. If there are so called BIG teams out there looking, we need a massive fee for him since we have to pay St Mirren a huge chunk!

McGeough - I would love for him to sign an extension to his contract but the longer it goes on, it's looking more unlikely. :boo hoo:

Allan - I hope he signs, but once again it will be down to how much money Celtic want and also Scotty himself wants.

McLaren - He said it on one of his Interviews, he is owned by his current club. Also, if he does well here or the World cup, they will DEFO want him back.

Kamberi - Same again, would love him to sign BUT we are in the same position, if he continues to do well, his club will want him back. I think he is going to be a smashing player.

That is the problem with ON LOAN players, we are taking a risk but on the other hand if we bought them they might not have came good and we are left with a player on our books! Toss of a coin comes to mind...

This is a massive transfer window/end of the season at our beloved club.

To be honest, we have exceeded our expectations this season and now other clubs are sitting up and taking notice of our players AND manager!!

That's what happens when you support the 'Cabbage n Ribs'...! :greengrin

I just hope that the midfield 3 are enjoying themselves that much, they have a wee chat and say, let's give it another year. THEN WE ALL WON THE LOTTERY!

:nlgwa

SirDavidsNapper
13-03-2018, 02:49 PM
How bloody negative. It's not all that long since Hearts and Aberdeen were in the euro group stages. Bit of luck in the later draws and it's doable. The team just has to be READY for the first tie which is the reason for this post.

Appreciate what you're saying and we'd all love a run in Europe but i genuinely see it as more hassle than it's worth. Most Scottish teams bar Celtic get papped out in first couple of rounds to a "minnow" and end up struggling towards the business end of the season because of the early start. I'm sure the St Johnstone chairman said they made a loss the last time they were in Europe because of the travelling costs etc. The best thing we could probably hope for is a glamour tie like Hearts got against Liverpool and Spurs but ultimately they got papped out and didn't make the group stages.

KWJ
13-03-2018, 02:55 PM
Appreciate what you're saying and we'd all love a run in Europe but i genuinely see it as more hassle than it's worth. Most Scottish teams bar Celtic get papped out in first couple of rounds to a "minnow" and end up struggling towards the business end of the season because of the early start. I'm sure the St Johnstone chairman said they made a loss the last time they were in Europe because of the travelling costs etc. The best thing we could probably hope for is a glamour tie like Hearts got against Liverpool and Spurs but ultimately they got papped out and didn't make the group stages.

That's the problem though, lack of preparation for the backwater teams that have improved while Scottish teams have slumped. Play them now and we'd be expecting to get through.

Huge task on Lennon, Craig and Mathie to have the team ready to go for this but what's the point in playing for Europe not to compete. We'd be as well putting all our eggs into the cup.

If the club (or any Scottish club) had ambition then the money from getting through a few ties in Europe would set us up. I think the club have it so I expect them to get some of this sorted out. And, while McGinn may indeed be gone come the end of August, I do reckon we'll see him in a Hibs top next season for these games.

Scott Allan Key
13-03-2018, 03:00 PM
The TV money from Brondby last season suggests otherwise.

And we were a whisker away from getting Hertha Berlin in the next round (who Brondby beat). German TV would’ve paid a fortune. We can aim high as we’ve certainly improved this year as a team.

bongo'd
13-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Think we all have to be realistic here...

McGinn is probably 95% away. We have been really lucky to have had him at ER for so long. If there are so called BIG teams out there looking, we need a massive fee for him since we have to pay St Mirren a huge chunk!

McGeough - I would love for him to sign an extension to his contract but the longer it goes on, it's looking more unlikely. :boo hoo:

Allan - I hope he signs, but once again it will be down to how much money Celtic want and also Scotty himself wants.

McLaren - He said it on one of his Interviews, he is owned by his current club. Also, if he does well here or the World cup, they will DEFO want him back.

Kamberi - Same again, would love him to sign BUT we are in the same position, if he continues to do well, his club will want him back. I think he is going to be a smashing player.

That is the problem with ON LOAN players, we are taking a risk but on the other hand if we bought them they might not have came good and we are left with a player on our books! Toss of a coin comes to mind...

This is a massive transfer window/end of the season at our beloved club.

To be honest, we have exceeded our expectations this season and now other clubs are sitting up and taking notice of our players AND manager!!

That's what happens when you support the 'Cabbage n Ribs'...! :greengrin

I just hope that the midfield 3 are enjoying themselves that much, they have a wee chat and say, let's give it another year. THEN WE ALL WON THE LOTTERY!

:nlgwa

Do we not have an option to buy Kamberi or did I make that up in my own head. Wouldn't be the 1st time I've done that!

Ozyhibby
13-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Terrible pessimism on our Euro chances. One look at the teams playing in this years group stages shows a lot of clubs a lot smaller than us.

Like everyone else I think McGinn will be away but it’s possible that he is still with us for the Euro qualifiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
13-03-2018, 03:08 PM
Do we not have an option to buy Kamberi or did I make that up in my own head. Wouldn't be the 1st time I've done that!

We do.

Hibbyradge
13-03-2018, 03:10 PM
I understand the sentiments, and it would be great if we had a full, settled squad by July, but it's not always in the manager's gift to get the business done early.

Teams often won't let players go before they tie up replacements.

I think Hibs are expecting to sell McGinn, but they might not get the offer they want early in the window so we'll be holding up another club's business too.

Delboy4
13-03-2018, 03:10 PM

Didn't realize that. If true, get him signed up as he does some work up top.

heretoday
13-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Mmm..
I have no inside knowledge but I can't really see that we can realistcally hope to hang on to SJM.We've been blessed to have him this long.
His quality is such that he's destined for greater things.

BUT Please prove me wrong Leanne:aok:

In a sense I hope he is but really?

He's going to play for Sheffield United or whatever.

Still, the money will be better!

Lago
13-03-2018, 03:14 PM
We do.

eastcoasthibby
13-03-2018, 04:02 PM
Would take Kamberi he has done well so far and shows really good qualities, that we havent had for quite a few years, can take a goal, competes very well, links play, plays with a partner up front, ..take the option Hibs and look for a suitable partner for him it doesnt detract from Shaw at all, just adds to our options up front.

CockneyRebel
13-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Would take Kamberi he has done well so far and shows really good qualities, that we havent had for quite a few years, can take a goal, competes very well, links play, plays with a partner up front, ..take the option Hibs and look for a suitable partner for him it doesnt detract from Shaw at all, just adds to our options up front.

Just watch Kamberi in the build up to Scotty's goal against the derby game and you can see what he brings.

basehibby
13-03-2018, 10:34 PM
This is a totally getting ahead of ourselves thread - would need 3rd place to guarantee a European tie. That said, 4th place COULD yield europe and we are looking good for that now courtesy of the night of the "Natural Order" :greengrin

If we WERE to get a European tie... how much would I love to see this current midfield - or even just two thirds of it - in place for the early ties! I feel confident that with the settled defence behind them that we have thankfully got, we could actually maybe even progress!!!

Maclaren and Kamberi have made a great start to their Hibs careers and I really like the look of them - but they are both ultimately here on loan and there's not much that Hibs will be able to do if their respective parent clubs decide they want to hang on to them at the end of the season.

So - about all that Hibs can do in the short term is wave as tempting a contract as possible in front of McGeogh's fizzog - if he signs it and we get in Europe then we could start off with a really settled side and have a good chance of progressing. (Oli and Murray up front???) SJM??? I'm not sure at all will happen with him - I'm sure the club would accept a reduced but still substantial fee for him - I'd be just as happy if he stuck his whole deal out but that's just me.

Souter96Mac
13-03-2018, 10:43 PM
Europe is the opportunity to try and strive further as a club, increase revenues and invest this into the club to ensure consistent success. I'm not saying group stages, but if we're able to out a couple wins away, then we can build upon that.

Austinho
13-03-2018, 10:56 PM
Is there any chance we could be holding on for McGinn money before offering McGeough a substantial contract increase? Hopefully he hasn’t signed a pre contract already.

Getting 3rd (or dare I say even 2nd) would add more to the pot from league prize money. Our strong finish to the season will no doubt increase cash received from extra season ticket sales. A European tie or two will increase revenue as well, and currently there at least a 75% chance of us being guaranteed that now. Also, I can’t see Simon Murray coming back, any chance we’ll cash in on a few thousand for him as well?

I’d love to get Brandon Barker, Kamberi and Allan back next season. Not certain about McLaren yet, but would rather keep the continuity than mixing up the whole team again if possible. Don’t forget, we’re also in a stronger position to attract players now we’re hanging around at the top of the SPFL and not pleading with good players to come to the Championship.

Col2
13-03-2018, 11:02 PM
We have an agreed option on Kamberi.

Allan and Celtic noises sound positive on perm deal or worse case loan

Dylan - we just don’t know but he is settled and I think it’s 50:50.

SJM - def away in summer but we get decent cash

McLaren - not getting game time with German 2nd tier team. Another loan or perm a possibility.

Barker - loan at best.

So other than SJM I reckon we have a good chance of securing all or most of the other players!

Diclonius
13-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Kamberi is the target man we've been looking for for years.

monktonharp
13-03-2018, 11:19 PM
I’ve been more impressed with Kamberi. The most important thing is going to be replacing Dylan/McGinn, holding on to Allan, and getting in a real quality striker.

Don’t have any inside knowledge re. Dylan, but it just feels like he’s going to be moving on.

Mallan +1 for midfield would be nice.the OP is correct, but the problem could be that there are friendly internationals during the Summer and possibly the early Euro stages, are they not? we are not in Europe yet anyway but players gaining international representation are also putting themselves in the window, naw? after we won the Cup, I was gutted that we never managed to sign big Gunnerson. he was an international , and the wee Auzie is, McGinn is and soon McGeoch will be.A full midfield in the waiting, could not even click near to the level we have at the moment. would be gutted if the sheep can entice Dylan.

wearehibernian
14-03-2018, 02:18 AM
We're going to be in Europe, it'll be pretty disappointing if we're not either by missing out on top 3, 4th or by Motherwell/Killie winning Cup. It's very likely we're there.

It starts early and we've got work to be done otherwise we'll be going into it with a threadbare squad.

If he performs in the next couple of games I think we need to make a move for MacLaren to tie him up before the World Cup. Maybe we see how he does in the upcoming internationals but it'd be disappointing to miss out on him because we were too slow.

Kamberi not as urgent but I'm already thinking I'd like to have him back.

Then we need to sort out our midfield 3. If Dylan is to sign on then it'll be with Europe in mind so that should take care of itself one way or the other. Without checking I'd imagine we could hold onto McGinn for long enough that we're either through a couple of rounds in Europe or we're already out and then it's less imperative.

It'd be great to have Scotty tied up but my head tells me that's unlikely until McGinn's money is in. Celtic will be happy to sell to us but they'll want their money back.

Defense is fine bar maybe another Rherras/LB.

I'd be disappointed if we go into our Euro game with Murray and Shaw up top. I like them bother, Shaw in particular but I wanna have a crack at the Euro teams.

There will be a few twists in various stories no doubt. But is there maybe an extra 'add on' to the Scott Allan deal? McGinn to Celtic and Allan as a trade, plus a good bit of cash more? Just a thought. McGeough has been a class act for ages and when fit. So mentality wise I can possibly understand his need to 'make hay' given doubts over previous injury problems and the likes. He is pivotal and I believe deserves more backing for another season I.e. up his wage in recognition. He makes us tick possession wise. There are many other factors yet to play out but securing Euurope would surely help. The most important thing is that we reach this level and try our hardest never to go back. From boardroom level to every single Hibee who are coming back in numbers not seen since the 1970s. This is surely where we all imagined we should be when we first started supporting the club? Still want more likes. GGTTH!

hibsbollah
14-03-2018, 06:40 AM

Totally disagree. If by a combination of luck and good preparation we manage to qualify for the group stage, it changes everything for us financially. 2.6 million euro just for getting to that stage, before you start adding in any won and draw bonuses. And that figures only going to increase. The club will know this.

Sas_The_Hibby
14-03-2018, 11:18 AM
Totally disagree. If by a combination of luck and good preparation we manage to qualify for the group stage, it changes everything for us financially. 2.6 million euro just for getting to that stage, before you start adding in any won and draw bonuses. And that figures only going to increase. The club will know this.

Sure. Don't get me wrong - I'd love us to be in the group stage of the Europa League - but I just think the likelihood of us getting that far is extremely small.

It's on a bit of a different tack but I did laugh when the Evening News, and others, implied, after the Cup win, that our being in Europe would be a big incentive for players to stay or to sign for us, as if they were going to be showcased in the Champions League group stages or something.

calumhibee1
14-03-2018, 11:25 AM

Agree. This quite simply has to be the next step in our progression plan. Whether it’s something we’ll manage to do is another story, but if we somehow managed to get there even once then it would have the potential to take us to a totally different level.

Sauzee16
14-03-2018, 11:29 AM
I wonder if Neil is contracted to the TV for Russia? I hope not as it’s a massive summer ahead of potential rebuilding.

Scott Allan Key
14-03-2018, 11:33 AM
This is a totally getting ahead of ourselves thread - would need 3rd place to guarantee a European tie. That said, 4th place COULD yield europe and we are looking good for that now courtesy of the night of the "Natural Order" :greengrin

If we WERE to get a European tie... how much would I love to see this current midfield - or even just two thirds of it - in place for the early ties! I feel confident that with the settled defence behind them that we have thankfully got, we could actually maybe even progress!!!

Maclaren and Kamberi have made a great start to their Hibs careers and I really like the look of them - but they are both ultimately here on loan and there's not much that Hibs will be able to do if their respective parent clubs decide they want to hang on to them at the end of the season.

So - about all that Hibs can do in the short term is wave as tempting a contract as possible in front of McGeogh's fizzog - if he signs it and we get in Europe then we could start off with a really settled side and have a good chance of progressing. (Oli and Murray up front???) SJM??? I'm not sure at all will happen with him - I'm sure the club would accept a reduced but still substantial fee for him - I'd be just as happy if he stuck his whole deal out but that's just me.

We sell McGinn on a reduced fee to a club down south or abroad who trust Neil Lennon to continue to develop him and they loan him back to us for a season.

H18 SFR
14-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Do we have a sell-on clause for Cummings?

Sas_The_Hibby
14-03-2018, 11:35 AM
I wonder if Neil is contracted to the TV for Russia? I hope not as it’s a massive summer ahead of potential rebuilding.

He'll just invite Cummings to Moscow, so Putin can persuade him to sign for us again! :greengrin

Sauzee16
14-03-2018, 11:40 AM
He'll just invite Cummings to Moscow, so Putin can persuade him to sign for us again! :greengrin

😂

Ozyhibby
14-03-2018, 11:51 AM
This years europa groups

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2495741.html#/

Not sure why so many think it so. Hard for a team like Hibs to get there. There are a good few smaller clubs than us in there.

southern hibby
14-03-2018, 12:20 PM
Heard that McGinn to Celtic and in return we get SA but the bit for me was we get McGinn back on loan for a year. Also I could see Christie being a loan depending on if he wants to come or not ( but the Christie loan is only speculation on my part ) obviously this will depend on amount Celtic will give us on top.

Now not sure if this has any truth or not but if it does the person telling me has a brother in law at Celtic who seems to think it may just happen and we’ve got a pint on it.

GGTTH

Is It On....
14-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Who from the Holy Trinity midfield do we think would be most difficult to replace? I would say Scott Allan - he maybe less valuable than the other 2 but he is very much a game changer in the way we play. FWIW I think they are all excellent players but crucially their respective styles seem to complement each other and I would love to see what they could achieve as a unit in a full season.

Sauzee16
14-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Who from the Holy Trinity midfield do we think would be most difficult to replace? I would say Scott Allan - he maybe less valuable than the other 2 but he is very much a game changer in the way we play. FWIW I think they are all excellent players but crucially their respective styles seem to complement each other and I would love to see what they could achieve as a unit in a full season.

McGinn. He was given that much credit in the past he is under rated now imo.

Ronniekirk
15-03-2018, 07:13 AM
We have an agreed option on Kamberi.

Allan and Celtic noises sound positive on perm deal or worse case loan

Dylan - we just don’t know but he is settled and I think it’s 50:50.

SJM - def away in summer but we get decent cash

McLaren - not getting game time with German 2nd tier team. Another loan or perm a possibility.

Barker - loan at best.

So other than SJM I reckon we have a good chance of securing all or most of the other players!

Dylan will need to become our highest paid player and a fair wedge of a sign on fee to have a chance of keeping him He is indicating he is still in discussions with the Club over a new contract and says he is enjoying his football at hibs But Financial Security is what he needs

Ronniekirk
15-03-2018, 07:20 AM
Sure. Don't get me wrong - I'd love us to be in the group stage of the Europa League - but I just think the likelihood of us getting that far is extremely small.

It's on a bit of a different tack but I did laugh when the Evening News, and others, implied, after the Cup win, that our being in Europe would be a big incentive for players to stay or to sign for us, as if they were going to be showcased in the Champions League group stages or something.

If we kept current squad and strengthened it would be within our grasp But too many players out of contract and on loan for that to happen But make no mistake the Club is intent on progressing and if we could even double our HLS subscribers it would make a difference along with another thousand Season Tickets sold to build on last year
Small steps which are achievable

Souter96Mac
15-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Assuming we get Europe, we'll be in the first qualifying round, unless we finish 2nd and Celtic win the cup which I suppose isnt impossible. Think we should be looking to try and progress to the 3rd qualifying at least I think. From there, if you get a decent draw, then youve got every bit of chance.

HibeeHibernian4
15-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Looking at this season's Europa League qualifiers, Macedonia, Croatia, Serbia, Denmark, Cyprus, Israel, Hungary and Albania managed to get one of their teams from the First Qualifying Round to at least the Play-Off Round, with a few (Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Skënderbeu & Red Star Belgrade) even reaching the groups. I think a good proportion of those teams would've been seeded in the first two or three rounds, but certainly not the latter stages. But my point is, there's no reason why Hibs can't make at least the 3rd Qualifying Round if we're properly switched on from the start, and don't concede within 15 seconds again.

AgentDaleCooper
15-03-2018, 11:26 AM

FFS - we got knocked out last time on penalties, and the goal we conceded in regular time was basically because we didn't have a solid goalie signed up. Brondby put out Hertha Berlin in the next round as well, and I fully believe we would have given them a very good run for their money. Brondby got as far as the play-off, and aberdeen should have gotten that far, but got knocked out by maribor. they bottle the big games, but under neil lennon we've shown that we don't. We're also a MUCH better team now, and I fully trust in Neil to get the signings right over the summer and, should we be in Europe, have a very good crack at it.

:flag: :flag: :flag:

SChibs
15-03-2018, 12:36 PM
This years europa groups

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2495741.html#/

Not sure why so many think it so. Hard for a team like Hibs to get there. There are a good few smaller clubs than us in there.

If we played the best we possibly could we may have a chance against a few of they teams but I'd be confident against none of them

Ozyhibby
15-03-2018, 02:30 PM
If we played the best we possibly could we may have a chance against a few of they teams but I'd be confident against none of them

The Albanian team in group B gets crowds similar to St. Johnstone although I’m pretty sure they can’t charge as much as the saints to get in.
There are a few other teams that size in there. Some may be bankrolled by wealthy business men but I doubt they all are.
Scottish teams should be in there every year. Hopefully us next season.

hibsbollah
15-03-2018, 04:11 PM
FFS - we got knocked out last time on penalties, and the goal we conceded in regular time was basically because we didn't have a solid goalie signed up. Brondby put out Hertha Berlin in the next round as well, and I fully believe we would have given them a very good run for their money. Brondby got as far as the play-off, and aberdeen should have gotten that far, but got knocked out by maribor. they bottle the big games, but under neil lennon we've shown that we don't. We're also a MUCH better team now, and I fully trust in Neil to get the signings right over the summer and, should we be in Europe, have a very good crack at it.

:flag: :flag: :flag:

I agree and I like the positivity. A lot depends on what draw. I watched all 4 of Marseilles games in the qualifying rounds in August, round 2 against Oostende, 5th in the league in Belgium, and round 3, where OM got an easy draw against the 4th best team in Slovakia, NK something, can't recall the name. Anyway, oostende were far better than I expected, really good attacking side, weak defensively, and I think they'd be favourites against Hibs. OM went through 4-2 and 0-0, but it wasn't easy. The Slovakian team, even though they beat Maribor who beat us not so long ago, I think Hibs could beat more often than not. OM went through 0-0,3-0.

Assuming Hibs got through against a ropey Faroes/Maltese type outfit in round 1, we could conceivably beat an Oostende on a good day and with some luck. And if we were equally as lucky in round 3 we could also conceivably beat NK wotsit and you're into the group stages and the proper money kicks in. On the other hand, draw a Marseille like opponent and it's over (but what a trip that would be!)

Not that I'm counting any chickens here. Not at all :greengrin

Hibbyradge
15-03-2018, 04:19 PM
Not that I'm counting any chickens here. Not at all :greengrin

Of course not. There's only a quarter of this season left, what could possibly go wrong?

Does anyone know where were we in the league with 9 games left in the 2013/14 season? :wink:

I know, I know. Changed days, but even still...

hibsbollah
15-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Of course not. There's only a quarter of this season left, what could possibly go wrong?

Does anyone know where were we in the league with 9 games left in the 2013/14 season? :wink:

I know, I know. Changed days, but even still...

Yes, it's not like we're known for our Spring collapses or anything. It's really time someone with time on their hands did some stats on how we compare 1st half v 2nd half of the season in recent years.

WhileTheChief..
15-03-2018, 06:17 PM
How can anyone come to the conclusion that the club isn’t interested in Europe??!

Do you never watch or read any of Lennon’s or Dempster's interviews?

Literally every time they’re asked about the future for Hibs they say that they want us to be competing in Europe.

It’s pretty much our no.1 priority and we’re gonna achieve it again this season. Bring it on.

Onion
15-03-2018, 06:19 PM
Celtic to come in for John McGinn with a fantastic swap offer :

Scott Allan - val £1.5M
Not take McGeough of us (just because they can) - val £1.0M
Not go for Scott Bain (just because they can) - val £600k

That's a generous £3.1M package of goodies from our cousins from the West. Hell, they may even agree to leave Lennon with us a few more months.