PDA

View Full Version : Players at other clubs?

thebakerboy
11-03-2018, 08:02 PM
Been watching Sportscene tonight and I am amazed at the fact that I know hardly any of the players outside Celtic Aberdeen Rangers and Hearts and even there only a few of them. 10 years ago I would know most of the players in the opposition but now only a few. I dont know if this is me at 70 or just how often teams change their players.

Billy Whizz
11-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Been watching Sportscene tonight and I am amazed at the fact that I know hardly any of the players outside Celtic Aberdeen Rangers and Hearts and even there only a few of them. 10 years ago I would know most of the players in the opposition but now only a few. I dont know if this is me at 70 or just how often teams change their players.

I think it’s due the fact we’ve been out of the top league for a few seasons, you don’t get to see the players from some of the lower teams. I was exactly the same

Diclonius
11-03-2018, 08:07 PM
I'm the same and I'm 26. Even compared to the last decade, hardly any mainstream coverage is given to the "medium 3" clubs (us, them and Aberdeen) let alone anyone outside that and the OF. Info is far more likely to go through the clubs directly to fans via social media etc.

Lancs Harp
11-03-2018, 08:07 PM
It is a bit of an age thing though, for instance i can name virtually every Scottish cup and FA cup winner from ground zero to about the mid eighties, after that ****** knows. :greengrin

Well apart from SFA Cup champions 2016 obviously.

greenlad
11-03-2018, 08:08 PM

Its a bit of the ever changing players syndrome but also, I think, a product of the much poorer quality of highlights shown compared with 20 years ago. Back then you got about 20 minutes each of the 2 main games and the highlights told the story and showed the ebb & flow of the match. Now its just a very brief succession of clips and more time is given to "analysis" by the pundits.

Also back then there was very little other football on TV so you felt more compelled to watch Sportscene on the Saturday and Scotsport on the Sunday.

matty_f
11-03-2018, 08:12 PM
You lose track because you grow out of sticker albums. :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
11-03-2018, 08:13 PM
It is a bit of an age thing though, for instance i can name virtually every Scottish cup and FA cup winner from ground zero to about the mid eighties, after that ****** knows. :greengrin

Well apart from SFA Cup champions 2016 obviously.

:agree:

I'm a little bit younger, but it's the same - I can remember tiny details from World Cups in the 80s and 90s but precious little since 2002.

Lancs Harp
11-03-2018, 08:14 PM

In our day fella it was tea cards or football cards complete with the most crappiest bubble gum in the world.:greengrin

Mibbes Aye
11-03-2018, 08:14 PM
:agree:

I'm a little bit younger, but it's the same - I can remember tiny details from World Cups in the 80s and 90s but precious little since 2002.

And now I've got the answer :greengrin