Monts
11-03-2018, 04:38 PM
What's the appeal?

-Jonesy-
11-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Heavy buzz man

Diclonius
11-03-2018, 04:41 PM
None whatsoever. Never done it, never will. Prefer to experience the game sober.

bingo70
11-03-2018, 04:44 PM
What's the appeal?

I think the appeal is getting drunk is generally good fun if done right. Depends how drunk you’re talking though.

I always like a few drinks before games and it’s a big part of the day, depending on what happens before and how well the lagers going down there’s times I’ve been drunker than expected and there’s been times I’ve been absolutely blazing. In ideal situation for me now is probably a sociable 5 or 6 nice pints before a game, much more than that and I’m struggling to enjoy it.

I’ve not really got an issue with drunk people at games, it’s the younger guys that are clearly coked out their nut and probably still out from the night before that do my head in.

I feel really old saying that.

WeeRussell
11-03-2018, 04:44 PM
Sing song in a pub is always enhanced with a few pints. I’ll always have a few on a big away/hampden day.

Nobody’s forcing anyone to drink, but nothing wrong with having a few on your day out. If you’re not slittered and making the match uncomfortable for anyone else, and shouting embarrassing things then no harm.

In my experience there’s plenty sober people around me shout more sh*te and make more of an erse of themselves than me with my few pints in me :)

bingo70
11-03-2018, 04:45 PM
None whatsoever. Never done it, never will. Prefer to experience the game sober.

How do you know what you prefer if you’ve never tried the alternative?

It’s good, should give it a bash some time.

WeeRussell
11-03-2018, 04:45 PM

How do you know if you’ve never done it?

WeeRussell
11-03-2018, 04:46 PM
I’ve just realised I’ve pretty much duplicated bingo’s posts with my two replies haha.

Might as well go the fully copycat and say I no longer like the coke heids :)

Johnny Clash
11-03-2018, 04:47 PM
A few bevies and a sing song before a big game is great. Prefer not to get too mashed though as the game seems to fly by ... like v Anderlecht when we were drinking in pub outside rail station from 8am!

Hermit Crab
11-03-2018, 04:50 PM
I'm still thankful that I never had a drink before that day in May, I recall everything about it as I was sober.

Keith_M
One guy sitting behind us, in Section 11 West Stand, was completely wasted when he arrived. He was really irritating, almost falling on top of my Dad during the game, constantly shouting 'Paedos' and smoking fags.

I realise some people like a drink before a game, and I have no problem with that, but I don't understand the need to get so wasted.

lord bunberry
Is this thread a joke? There’s been times when I’ve needed to have a drink before a game to make me go.

bingo70
A few bevies and a sing song before a big game is great. Prefer not to get too mashed though as the game seems to fly by ... like v Anderlecht when we were drinking in pub outside rail station from 8am!

I got myself in a right pickle before the Barcelona game, made a right tit of myself and something i regret as I’d love to see Barcelona, and Messi in particular now.

Airdrie away in the play off game was another one I never covered myself in glory in, think I was about 16 or 17 then so sure I wasn’t the first or last to do that at that age.

SirDavidsNapper
11-03-2018, 04:51 PM
Generally calms the nerves

hibsbollah
11-03-2018, 04:53 PM
I love a good drink, but I find drunk people very irritating when I'm sober, at the football or not. I think most people are the same.

bingo70
11-03-2018, 04:58 PM
I love a good drink, but I find drunk people very irritating when I'm sober, at the football or not. I think most people are the same.

I find most people irritating all the time, them being drunk just makes them a bit louder 😉

In all seriousness I completely agree, drunk folk are a pain in the arse when you’re sober.

Albanian Hibs
11-03-2018, 05:01 PM

So if you haven't done it before how do you know What it would be like?

I like a few or half a dozen before the game. Done it last Friday and will be doing it again this Friday.

Scouse Hibee
11-03-2018, 05:01 PM
My bladder just won't let me do it anymore, any more than a couple of pints and I'm up and down like a yoyo and miss too much of the game.

CMurdoch
11-03-2018, 05:05 PM
2 or 3 pints is good.
5 pints is not good, need to go to the toilet every 20 minutes, game flies by, don't really take it in, might have a go at idiots who sit round me and get on my thrupennies etc

Keith_M
11-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Is this thread a joke? There’s been times when I’ve needed to have a drink before a game to make me go.

There's a difference between having a couple of beers and getting so wasted you can barely stand.

Seen too many of the latter at big games.

Spike Mandela
11-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Depends what you mean by drunk. Normally have 2 to 3 pints before a match unless I am working nightshift.

However, with it being a Friday night and being off I had several more than normal, met up with several people I hadn’t met in ages, had a great laugh and arrived at the game a little merry but by no means drunk.

Some grown men can actually go to the pub, have a drink and not get fall down drunk. Far too many puritans on here these days. Thoroghly enjoyed my whole day, not just the game and the resut.

11-03-2018, 05:18 PM
No problem with folk drinking before the game, I myself enjoy doing it but as long as you don't then act like a tit and ruin the game for others. Most people manage to go drinking before the game and are absolutely fine but there is always a small minority of idiots who can't handle it.

Group of us all had quite a big drink before Fridays game but we behaved, didn't cause anyone any bother and enjoyed the game with everyone around us.

Dalianwanda
11-03-2018, 05:18 PM
I suppose getting reeko at a big game shows you value the day out more than the Hibs. I’ve done it at Scotland games for that exact reason.

JimboHibs
11-03-2018, 05:20 PM

Ridiculous

ancient hibee
11-03-2018, 05:32 PM
Ridiculous
Ridiculous.

Monts
11-03-2018, 05:42 PM
On the walk up to the game on friday there were folk necking bottles of wine, bottles of vodka, etc

RossScott1991
11-03-2018, 05:45 PM
I was in the harp and castle from about 1, me and mate took half day at work. Stayed till about 7.15 before walking to easter road, had a fair few pints but still remember the game and was all in good spirit, having a few sing songs etc. Made sure i went to toilet before kick off and at half time so i wasn't annoying anyone making them move.

as others have said above, if you're not getting totally hammered and acting like an arse nothing wrong with it. I only tend to enjoy a day out/drinking before a derby or hampden trips, rest of time i take the car

Diclonius
11-03-2018, 05:46 PM
How do you know if you’ve never done it?

I don't particularly enjoy being drunk and watching anything. Interacting with people yes, anything else no. I don't feel I can take as much in.

Bishop Hibee
11-03-2018, 05:51 PM
I’ve never been drunk at a Hibs game. Always left the serious drinking for post-match. Different story for Scotland games which I regard as a day out as well as the match itself.

Leithenhibby
11-03-2018, 05:57 PM

:greengrin:greengrin

Albanian Hibs
11-03-2018, 06:07 PM
On the walk up to the game on friday there were folk necking bottles of wine, bottles of vodka, etc

So? Maybe it was their first drink of the night? Maybe they needed a shot to settle their nerves? Is this all we have to moan about now? Bet you are glad you weren't standing beside us up at Pittodrie for the 4-1 game. I was hammered and so were lots of others and thank God I was, even though I still remember most of it unfortunately 🙄

Killiehibbie
11-03-2018, 06:11 PM
No need for as many pints as I did 30 years ago.

Sammy7nil
11-03-2018, 06:13 PM
How do you know what you prefer if you’ve never tried the alternative?

It’s good, should give it a bash some time.

Yep gay sex don't knock it until you have tried it. :greengrin

Monts
11-03-2018, 06:15 PM
So? Maybe it was their first drink of the night? Maybe they needed a shot to settle their nerves? Is this all we have to moan about now? Bet you are glad you weren't standing beside us up at Pittodrie for the 4-1 game. I was hammered and so were lots of others and thank God I was, even though I still remember most of it unfortunately 🙄

Judging by their ability to walk, it wasn't their first of the night.

I'm not moaning. The thread was genuinely started to find out what it is that is appealing about it.

No need to get so defensive :wink:

Glory Lurker
11-03-2018, 06:18 PM

I don’t think i’ve seen as many bottles and cans being swigged round the stadium as I saw on Friday night. Not complaining, just saying.

Hibrandenburg
11-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Nothing wrong with a couple of pints to get in the spirit of things before a game. It's another thing though to get minging and start acting the ****, scare kids and generally get on people's tits.

HTD1875
11-03-2018, 06:25 PM
Away and support hearts ya cardigan wearer.

wookie70
11-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Used to drink before every game and for the big games I would be wasted. I remember running up and down the stairs at Hampden when we beat Rangers on the way to winning the Skol Cup shouting "we can win this". I think we started drinking about 11am that day and when we got to finals in that era we used to open the pub up at 6am and the bus left about 9am for a 3pm KO.

I enjoyed it when I was young but like an earlier poster I'm glad I was totally sober when we lifted the Cup. These days I would miss most of the game going to the bogs if I drank. Drink if you want as long as you don't go to the toilet 6 times during the game and start picking fights. Each to their own until it starts ruining others enjoyment.

Lago
11-03-2018, 06:36 PM
My bladder just won't let me do it anymore, any more than a couple of pints and I'm up and down like a yoyo and miss too much of the game.
And annoy me going in and out.:greengrin

erin go bragh
11-03-2018, 06:41 PM
No been drunk at a game since my teenage years . Christ , I don’t think I saw a game at the PBS sober until I hit maybe 20 . Nowadays it a bottle of red after the game , when I get home . Tell you what , I fair enjoyed the bottle on Friday night .
Remember and drink responsibly everyone :)

kaimendhibs
11-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Last game I was a bit drunk was the comeback game at PBS on way to winning the cup. Grabbed and cuddled a policeman when Paul Hanlon scored. Still cringing now[emoji23]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-03-2018, 06:50 PM
I am always driving so having a drink never really comes into it for me. I think that the OP is maybe mixing up a few pints and a sing along and getting totally trashed and being a pain in the arse.

Monts
11-03-2018, 06:55 PM
I am always driving so having a drink never really comes into it for me. I think that the OP is maybe mixing up a few pints and a sing along and getting totally trashed and being a pain in the arse.

I'm not mixing up anything, just curious. I've had a couple of pints before games, I've been smashed before games, but mainly I don't bother at all.

I'm just asking what the appeal is for others.

lord bunberry
11-03-2018, 07:08 PM
There's a difference between having a couple of beers and getting so wasted you can barely stand.

Seen too many of the latter at big games.
Agreed. I normally have four or five pints before a game. I have been pretty drunk at some away games when I was younger.

WoreTheGreen
11-03-2018, 07:27 PM

Did you sleep in we were there to some trip. “ let’s go sightseeing first pub we came across let’s stop here to get our bearings 12 hours later still there but to be fair they put comp chips on

Nameless
11-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Alcohol allows the emotionally repressed Scot to unleash their inner poet. Burns was a raging drunk, and also a right wordy sod. If I went to the footy, sans beer, I'd be infinitely less witty or verbose.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
11-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Alcohol allows the emotionally repressed Scot to unleash their inner poet. Burns was a raging drunk, and also a right wordy sod. If I went to the footy, sans beer, I'd be infinitely less witty or verbose.

Im English and often quote Burns Poetry when drunk.

WeeRussell
11-03-2018, 07:32 PM
I don't particularly enjoy being drunk and watching anything. Interacting with people yes, anything else no. I don't feel I can take as much in.

Fair response. It’s more the pre and post (if we win) bit that I like to be drunk for. It certainly helps those nerves on big game days!

Nameless
11-03-2018, 07:34 PM
Im English and often quote Burns Poetry when drunk.Do you quote it while hurling patio chairs :-)

Lancs Harp
11-03-2018, 07:36 PM
Do you quote it while hurling patio chairs :-)

Well only on national service obviously. :wink:

Very fine poet Burns regardless of any nationality I must add.

Tobias Funke
11-03-2018, 07:40 PM
Ridiculous

Not even close to ridiculous. It’s a personal choice.

hibby6270
11-03-2018, 07:46 PM
To answer the OP question, doesn’t appeal to me. In all my time going to Hibs games, I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I’ve had a pint (yep just the one) before a game.

I’m definitely not against anyone having a drink before a game, it’s just not for me.

What I cannot stand and hate with a passion are those who get so blootered that they have no comprehension of what they are doing, saying, singing during a game. They just spoil it, not only for themselves, but more importantly for those that have to sit/stand in their vicinity. But I ask you. Have you ever seen a drunk that can be reasoned with and asked to tone it down? Yet to see it!!

Lancs Harp
11-03-2018, 07:53 PM
I think like many have said having a wee drink before the game is part of the football day for many and similarly to many that do like a drink before the game I dont like being surrounded by drunks either. There is a big difference between having two or three or four pints (depending on your tolerance) and being 5h1t faced.

CraigHibee
11-03-2018, 08:01 PM
I've had a few beers before hampden days out etc but not to the state that I'm falling about, I've witnessed folk being supported/practically being carried off buses absolutely hammered, can't see the point especially if your not going to remember the game/not getting in

Famous Fiver
11-03-2018, 08:04 PM
A wee pre match tipple didn't do Willie Hamilton any harm.

Pretty Boy
11-03-2018, 08:05 PM
I like a few pints before a game and think it can add to the day/night. Like any drinking though it's about knowing your limits and recognising when you go from being a merry drunk to a pest or just a total idiot.

I remember a game at Hampden, sure it was the Falkirk semi final, where a girl in front of me stumbled in, fell asleep on her seat, woke herself up by vomiting on herself, called Farid a 'paki' then left after 80 minutes. I really don't see the point in that.

Dashing Bob S
11-03-2018, 08:08 PM
Nothing wrong with getting totally inebriated and abusing random strangers with obnoxious bile and violent assault - provided its done with style and panache. Take that out off the game and we might as well be living in some Soviet style nanny state.

ballengeich
11-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Nothing wrong with getting totally inebriated and abusing random strangers with obnoxious bile and violent assault - provided its done with style and panache. Take that out off the game and we might as well be living in some Soviet style nanny state.

Aye, the Soviet Union was so good at suppressing drunkenness.

JimboHibs
11-03-2018, 08:30 PM
Not even close to ridiculous. It’s a personal choice.

Totally 100% agree,the ridiculous was the comment by the poster saying it held no appeal yet he'd never done it.

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2018, 08:53 PM
I can honestly say that I have never set out for a game with the intention of getting drunk beforehand even as a youngster and I don't understand why anybody would. For me the pre match pub experience is part of the day going to the football and has been from the first time I was able to go to games and have a drink. Having said that I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I could say I was drunk going into a game, at least in the sense that I wasn't in control of myself or responsible for my actions. Hampden is always the venue that throws up this subject.

To remove that couple of hours in the boozer before a game at Hampden bonding with your fellow fans and having a sing song is to dilute what a special day at the football is all about ... its one of the reasons I hate 12:15 kick offs ( at Hampden especially ) .. and IMO the fact that we have them shows how little the folk running the game understand the fan experience.

IMO if going to a game is just 90 minutes inside the stadium then you are selling yourself short on the whole experience .... there have been many games where the day has been memorable for me just as much for the pre match as for the game itself. Don't get me wrong, nobody can deny that there are some folk who cant handle their drink and make a pain in the arse out of themselves.

Thankfully in my experience, even as someone who has attended all but two of Hibs visits to Hampden since 1979, these folk are relatively few and far between and inside Easter Road itself considering the hundreds and hundreds of games I must have attended I don't think I have ever been involved in a drink related incident that I can recall.

Monts
11-03-2018, 09:02 PM
Totally 100% agree,the ridiculous was the comment by the poster saying it held no appeal yet he'd never done it.

There are hundreds of things people won't try as they don't appeal to them. In what way is it ridiculous?

Lancs Harp
11-03-2018, 09:06 PM
There are hundreds of things people won't try as they don't appeal to them. In what way is it ridiculous?

Hey we are big enough surely to respect the views of each other. Some like a pint or two before the game some dont. Its no reason to fall out.

We are Hibs!!

heretoday
11-03-2018, 09:19 PM
It's like going to the flicks. If you have too much to drink beforehand you have to leave the main feature and possibly miss something vital. The price of football these days you're daft doing that but suit yersel I suppose.

lyonhibs
11-03-2018, 09:23 PM

Ooooh hark at him. What's the view like from up there?

Getting a bit drunk pre game and "getting utterly wrecked and acting like a total fanny" are different things.

I'd recommend the former but not the latter. I've only ever (pre game) pushed the boat out too far once, for Brazil Vs Scotland at Wembley. No memory of the 2nd half and the bus home to Oxford, my place of residence at the time, was grim.

lapsedhibee
11-03-2018, 09:24 PM
It's like going to the flicks. If you have too much to drink beforehand you have to leave the main feature and possibly miss something vital. The price of football these days you're daft doing that but suit yersel I suppose.

Shirley you could just stay in your seat and piss yersel if you were that bothered about missing vital elements of the fillum? :dunno:

majorhibs
11-03-2018, 09:28 PM

Hmmm! So your internals & time needed for bodily functions exactly match all others & mine at the game? Thanks for that! I’ll stick with my recipe.

Monts
11-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Hey we are big enough surely to respect the views of each other. Some like a pint or two before the game some dont. Its no reason to fall out.

We are Hibs!!

No falling out from me. Just thought it was strange that someone choosing not to was "ridiculous" because they'd never tried it.

Fisherrow Harp
12-03-2018, 03:09 AM
😂😂😂

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-03-2018, 10:08 AM
Ooooh hark at him. What's the view like from up there?

Getting a bit drunk pre game and "getting utterly wrecked and acting like a total fanny" are different things.

I'd recommend the former but not the latter. I've only ever (pre game) pushed the boat out too far once, for Brazil Vs Scotland at Wembley. No memory of the 2nd half and the bus home to Oxford, my place of residence at the time, was grim.

I was so bevvied that day I ended up going to The Emirates to watch it.

Craig_HFC
12-03-2018, 10:12 AM

I suppose you wouldn't want to turn up to your bible study group hungover, right enough.

Monts
12-03-2018, 10:15 AM
I suppose you wouldn't want to turn up to your bible study group hungover, right enough.

Is this supposed to be some kind of insult?

Lets leave the religious stuff to the glasgow lot

Geo_1875
12-03-2018, 10:19 AM
It's not that long ago getting drunk instead of going to the match was an option for many. Hibs playing **** or a day on the bevvy with your mates? Even with a season ticket they weren't a big draw.

Craig_HFC
12-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Is this supposed to be some kind of insult?

Lets leave the religious stuff to the glasgow lot

Not really. It's only a light hearted comment and a 'bible study group' was the first example of a wee collection of people who would be horrified by any mildly drunken behaviour that came to mind.

Tried to be funny but it looks like I missed the target which is something I'm used to.

EH54
12-03-2018, 10:23 AM
Always enjoy a few beers before most matches sometimes unintentionally things get a little messy, but often or not I just enjoy a few before the game and if we win especially in bigger games get pissed afterwords.

CropleyWasGod
12-03-2018, 10:25 AM
Not really. It's only a light hearted comment and a 'bible study group' was the first example of a wee collection of people who would be horrified by any mildly drunken behaviour that came to mind.

Tried to be funny but it looks like I missed the target which is something I'm used to.

Can I be the first to complain that this is BibleStudyGroupist?

Some of the finest pissheads I know cut their Milk-stout teeth on tales of licentious Lot and his lot.

calumhibee1
12-03-2018, 10:26 AM
I'm still thankful that I never had a drink before that day in May, I recall everything about it as I was sober.

Likewise. The state some people were in there’s no way they remembered the game.

Swedish hibee
12-03-2018, 10:39 AM
The amount of folk I seen on the way to Hampden for that cup final who could barely stand, let alone enjoy 90 minutes of football.. I wonder how those many got on that day..?

IWasThere2016
12-03-2018, 10:46 AM
What's the appeal?

Yup.. a no-no for me also. 2 or 3 max before ko.. plenty afterwards of course

Dashing Bob S
12-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Yes, poor show by the commies. No wonder they fell to decadent capitalism.

The_Exile
12-03-2018, 11:16 AM
I dinnae drink, so notice folk who have been and they're annoying as f***. The downside is you remember every stray pass and stupid offiside :greengrin

KWJ
12-03-2018, 11:16 AM
I like a wee beer before the games but somehow only managed 4 between 4:45 and the game due to the madness of the rammed bars among other things.

There were folk legless in the stands though, saw one guy up back of east who couldn't make it back down the stairs and had to wait. Boy in front of me fell 3 rows forward pus first.

Folk next to me were mortal, mostly okay but one of their mates obvs didn't like their allocated seat and decided to join them making it all pretty tight. During the match they had a half bottle of rum and saved brought out a full bottle of wine for the 2nd half. Nae wonder flares can get in when a bottle of Echo Falls can slip past the stewards!

NAE NOOKIE
12-03-2018, 12:00 PM
The amount of folk I seen on the way to Hampden for that cup final who could barely stand, let alone enjoy 90 minutes of football.. I wonder how those many got on that day..?

Firstly, not having a go at you mate, why would you lie about it. But I see posts like this after practically every game we play at Hampden and as one of those who reluctantly drags his drink sodden carcass out of the pub 20 minutes before kick off along with the bus full of people I've gone to the game with at practically every Hampden visit I have yet to see the scenes of drunken fans staggering about all over the place I so often see described. Folk who have clearly 'had a few' and are being a bit loud yes .. but not to the extent that they are causing a bother.

I can honestly say I have never seen folk pissing in gutters for all to see, or the gardens on the way to the ground full of folk spewing up ( I might have seen one guy being sick once ) I have seen folk arguing in the ground particularly when we were 3 - 0 down to Falkirk, but I've never yet seen fans come to blows with each other. I've no doubt stuff like this does happen, but the way some folk go on you would think Hibs trips to Hampden were like the last days of Sodom and Gomorrah.

We left the pub about 25 minutes before kick off at the 2016 cup final and on the way to the ground and outside it I cant recall seeing anybody who was so clearly pissed I didn't think they would get in. Perhaps it only happens at the posh bits and that's the side of the ground you go to :greengrin

Swedish hibee
12-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Firstly, not having a go at you mate, why would you lie about it. But I see posts like this after practically every game we play at Hampden and as one of those who reluctantly drags his drink sodden carcass out of the pub 20 minutes before kick off along with the bus full of people I've gone to the game with at practically every Hampden visit I have yet to see the scenes of drunken fans staggering about all over the place I so often see described. Folk who have clearly 'had a few' and are being a bit loud yes .. but not to the extent that they are causing a bother.

I can honestly say I have never seen folk pissing in gutters for all to see, or the gardens on the way to the ground full of folk spewing up ( I might have seen one guy being sick once ) I have seen folk arguing in the ground particularly when we were 3 - 0 down to Falkirk, but I've never yet seen fans come to blows with each other. I've no doubt stuff like this does happen, but the way some folk go on you would think Hibs trips to Hampden were like the last days of Sodom and Gomorrah.

We left the pub about 25 minutes before kick off at the 2016 cup final and on the way to the ground and outside it I cant recall seeing anybody who was so clearly pissed I didn't think they would get in. Perhaps it only happens at the posh bits and that's the side of the ground you go to :greengrin

Jeez. What a reply.. For not having a go at me.
I have no reason to lie about what I see. I don't go to the 'posh' bit of the ground and don't judge others who do. If Scottish men or women want to drink so much that they cannot stand at 2pm- I don't care, I don't live in this country so it doesn't effect me in the slightest.

Dashing Bob S
12-03-2018, 12:21 PM

You've had a few drinks so you see things differently than if you are sober, like SH. I've been stone cold sober/had a few/pissed mortal and your perspective of a football crowd, it's behavior, levels of menace etc differ greatly depending on that level of intoxication/sobriety.

WeeRussell
12-03-2018, 12:36 PM

I seen folk literally falling out the side of a bus and unable to walk properly before the cup final. I reckon they were on more than drink mind you.

I like a good pish-up before such games myself so it's not me having a go at these people... just observing that you do indeed get them. Albeit not in their thousands.

Just Jimmy
12-03-2018, 01:12 PM
looks like I missed the target which is something I'm used to.

You're Steven naismith and I claim my £5.

[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

18Hibee75
12-03-2018, 01:12 PM
Must've been sitting near you at Aberdeen? Front four rows the majority of folk were absolutely blootered. Made a terrible performance a little more amusing as the sarcastic song book came out. FWIW agree with most on here that if you are being a pain in the erse and annoying everyone around you then there's a problem, however if not then there's nothing wrong with it.

Diclonius
12-03-2018, 01:20 PM
I'm amazed at the amount of people who interpreted my personal opinion as a slander on anyone who chooses to drink before the game.

I was saying it didn't have any appeal to me personally - not everyone else - and that based on similar experiences in different settings I know that it won't, even if I hadn't tried it. I clarified this in an earlier reply.

I didn't in any way insinuate that that I was better than anyone else for not drinking or I'm generalising anyone who does into one category, but on reflection the comment may have come across that way so apologies if misinterpreted. The "holier than thou/boring" generalisations thrown back in response are unneeded and are exactly what I was accused of.

lyonhibs
12-03-2018, 01:26 PM
I was so bevvied that day I ended up going to The Emirates to watch it.

Hahaha you prove my point beautifully 😂😂

I meant The Emirates of course.

18Hibee75
12-03-2018, 01:27 PM
Must've been sitting near you at Aberdeen? Front four rows the majority of folk were absolutely blootered. Made a terrible performance a little more amusing as the sarcastic song book came out. FWIW agree with most on here that if you are being a pain in the erse and annoying everyone around you then there's a problem, however if not then there's nothing wrong with it.

lapsedhibee
12-03-2018, 01:27 PM
I'm amazed at the amount of people who interpreted my personal opinion as a slander on anyone who chooses to drink before the game.

I was saying it didn't have any appeal to me personally - not everyone else - and that based on similar experiences in different settings I know that it won't, even if I hadn't tried it. I clarified this in an earlier reply.

I didn't in any way insinuate that that I was better than anyone else for not drinking or I'm generalising anyone who does into one category, but on reflection the comment may have come across that way so apologies if misinterpreted. The "holier than thou/boring" generalisations thrown back in response are unneeded and are exactly what I was accused of.

Ridiculous.

That you should have to write such a post. Your original was quite clear, and not offensive in any way.

12-03-2018, 01:29 PM
I see pissed up people all the time before hampden but the ones causing bother are very much in the minority. In fact I think in all my times going to hampden i've only actually seen a fight once (HT at the Falkirk semi final) and when i say "fight" it was a couple of dickheads shoving each other before being seperated by other fans.

Fighting really isn't a big problem in our support (certainly not from what i've experienced anyway). You get the odd one here and there, usually when things aren't going our way on the park and people are getting frustrated but generally it's a very rare occurance i'm pleased to say.

heretoday
12-03-2018, 01:38 PM
Back in the day you'd have guys virtually carried into the ground because of prematch overindulgence. I've seen blokes asleep on the old top terrace at ER. It was de rigueur to smuggle in half bottles and cans.
You don't know you're born these days!

HibeeHibernian4
12-03-2018, 02:33 PM

I was too nervous to get properly pissed before the game on 21/05/16, a couple of pints to calm me down but that was it for me. In front of me in the North Stand there was a bit of an altercation after Stokes scored the opener, I think an old guy took exception to the excessive exuberance of some of the rather pished younger lads next to him, one of them especially was swaying and falling all over the shop. All calmed down fairly soon after, and until you said that I'd actually completely forgot all about it (for obvious reasons, what came next overshadowed it).

MSK
12-03-2018, 02:50 PM
I dont drink before games nowadays but had a fair swally before the cup final, 6 bottles of bud in car whilst heading through to Glasgow then at least another 10 or so in Montfords tae calm the nerves pre match. I wasnt drunk, well behaved & only went to the bog before ko & half time, dont think I would have made the pitch though, alcohol & emotions rendered me incapable 🤭

SirDavidsNapper
12-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Yep gay sex don't knock it until you have tried it. :greengrin

Sure the Jambos sung a song about that

SRHibs
12-03-2018, 03:03 PM
I get tired after about half an hour if I drink before the game. Would rather have one or two after and leave it at that.

timewilltell
12-03-2018, 03:31 PM
I think the appeal is getting drunk is generally good fun if done right. Depends how drunk you’re talking though.

I always like a few drinks before games and it’s a big part of the day, depending on what happens before and how well the lagers going down there’s times I’ve been drunker than expected and there’s been times I’ve been absolutely blazing. In ideal situation for me now is probably a sociable 5 or 6 nice pints before a game, much more than that and I’m struggling to enjoy it.

I’ve not really got an issue with drunk people at games, it’s the younger guys that are clearly coked out their nut and probably still out from the night before that do my head in.

I feel really old saying that.

Your problem is Scotlands problem........

tynehibs
12-03-2018, 03:51 PM
I dont drink before games nowadays but had a fair swally before the cup final, 6 bottles of bud in car whilst heading through to Glasgow then at least another 10 or so in Montfords tae calm the nerves pre match. I wasnt drunk, well behaved & only went to the bog before ko & half time, dont think I would have made the pitch though, alcohol & emotions rendered me incapable 🤭

Think I sat opposite you (at the front window) same as you ,had a nice drink but thoroughly enjoyed the occasion

MSK
12-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Think I sat opposite you (at the front window) same as you ,had a nice drink but thoroughly enjoyed the occasionI was in one of the seating booths mate, just round from the bottle bar 😁

Albanian Hibs
12-03-2018, 04:51 PM

Nah we were further back than that plus we are usually quiet drunks (if that's possible!)

Kojock
12-03-2018, 05:03 PM
During the match they had a half bottle of rum and saved brought out a full bottle of wine for the 2nd half. Nae wonder flares can get in when a bottle of Echo Falls can slip past the stewards!

I sit in the west and I have never been searched entering ER I could take in flares, bottles of alcohol etc quite easily.

brianmc
12-03-2018, 05:30 PM
If you think a few bevvies are bad then I STRONGLY recommend that you never take acid before traveling through to Falkirk midweek during a blizzard - weirdest, scariest, funniest away "trip" I ever had in that car!

*I was a passenger 😇

basehibby
12-03-2018, 07:50 PM
During some lengthy periods of my time supporting Hibs, only sado-masochists would have dared to enter Easter Road without the numbing security blanket of alchohol to protect their battered sensibilities from further punishment.

Nowadays perhaps with Lennon's Marauding side it would be worth attempting to take in the whole experience fully sober but old habits die hard don't ye know :drunk:

Kavinho
12-03-2018, 08:15 PM
What's the views on taking a hipflask with you?

Dalianwanda
12-03-2018, 08:15 PM
Only person that thinks it’s done with style and panache is the dick spouting it.

Dashing Bob S
12-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Only person that thinks it’s done with style and panache is the dick spouting it.

Next thing you’ll be criticizing people who choose to bring missles into football grounds.

lyonhibs
12-03-2018, 09:16 PM

The "WHOOOOOOSH" factor is strong with this one.

😖

CropleyWasGod
12-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Next thing you’ll be criticizing people who choose to bring missles into football grounds. The day Kim Jong Un walks into ER is the day I walk out.

[emoji34]

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

One Day Soon
12-03-2018, 10:12 PM

Umm...

One Day
13-03-2018, 07:19 AM

Its all in the timing, a pee before you leave pub, another before you go to your seat and one at half time, seems to work for me