PDA

View Full Version : Catching Aberdeen

Austinho
10-03-2018, 11:30 PM
After dropping points against Partick Thistle, we're now only 2 points behind Aberdeen, with the same number of games played.

Before the split, they play Dundee and St Johnstone at home, and Motherwell and Hearts away. We have Partick Thistle and Hamilton at home, and St Johnstone and Ross County away. Whilst Aberdeen will probably win both home games comfortably, arguably they have a tougher run in. Having drawn both games with Hearts 0-0 this season, and lost 2-0 and 3-0 to Motherwell, I'd fancy us to be level or ahead of them by the split.

Post split however, whilst I'd be nervous about another trip to Pittordrie, their record against the Old Firm and other big games is stinking. I think we might just pip them.

Hell, if Rangers lose to Celtic on Sunday, we'll only be 7 behind them with a game in hand too. Assuming we do claw it back to 4 points, a 3rd hunskelping at Ibrox by us after the split could put them under serious pressure. Probably a step too far to stay as consistent as them until the end, but considering we could still catch a team proclaiming they're still in the title race, it isn't bad going at all.

Diclonius
10-03-2018, 11:34 PM
4th would be fantastic for our first season back (hoping one of the teams above us wins the cup). 3rd is realistic, but I think Rangers are probably out of our reach now.

Austinho
10-03-2018, 11:55 PM
4th would be fantastic for our first season back (hoping one of the teams above us wins the cup). 3rd is realistic, but I think Rangers are probably out of our reach now.They are with that attitude ;)

In all seriousness, I’d also be happy with 4th place, but I hope the manager and players aren’t. Winning a cup and our time in the Championship has built a winning mentality and the more that spreads through the whole club and the supporters, the better. I believe we’re the 3rd best team in Scotland - we just have 9 games left to prove it.

hibbyfraelibby
11-03-2018, 08:35 AM
4th would be fantastic for our first season back (hoping one of the teams above us wins the cup). 3rd is realistic, but I think Rangers are probably out of our reach now.

If The Thes get beat today we can claw them back. Their seadon will then be defined by the Scottish Cup and they will take their eye off the league. 3rd is now in our own hands 2nd we need a wee bit help which will surely come.

Sir David Gray
11-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Win every game between now and the end of the season and 3rd place is ours.

It's in our own hands now.

theonlywayisup
11-03-2018, 08:55 AM
Our record since the start of the year in the league is:

WLWWWDW - 16 points out of 21 available, during a time we played Celtic, Rangers, Dundee and Kilmarnock away and Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hertz at home.

That's a fantastic return from seven tough games.

Even the three games before that, we had two draws against Kilmarnock (H) & Hertz (A), plus a win at home against Ross County.

We've been on a great run, but it feels as if we're constantly playing the better teams.

Now, we have to look to take twelve points from the next four games. If we do, then we have a real chance of at least third place. We've put pressure on the teams above, we can't let them off by dropping points in these games.

When you get into the post split games, then anything can happen. Theonlywayisup!!

:flag::flag::flag:

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-03-2018, 09:58 AM
I will be happy if we win all our pre split matches and then take it from there. Second place is gone I think. If The Rangers win today that keeps the title still open and maybe going into the top six games it could work in our favour that both The Rangers and Celtc have points to play for.

Just Jimmy
11-03-2018, 10:10 AM
2 pts behind Aberdeen?

Imagine if they hadn't cheated us at the PBS...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
11-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Win every game between now and the end of the season and 3rd place is ours.

It's in our own hands now.

2nd if we do that.

StevieCowan
11-03-2018, 10:30 AM
2nd if we do that.

Agreed. 👍

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-03-2018, 10:32 AM
2 pts behind Aberdeen?

Imagine if they hadn't cheated us at the PBS...

Or even better had we taken our chances against Aberdeen when they did us 0-1 at home.

wookie70
11-03-2018, 10:34 AM
4th and in Europe would be a very good return but it is now in our own hands to finish 3rd so that has to be the minimum target. Killie will have their eyes set on getting fourth so it will be an exciting run in either way.

Sir David Gray
11-03-2018, 10:35 AM
2nd if we do that.

We are guaranteed to get 3rd if we win all our remaining games. 2nd would also require a slip up by Rangers, even if we won all our games.

danhibees1875
11-03-2018, 10:37 AM
We are guaranteed to get 3rd if we win all our remaining games. 2nd would also require a slip up by Rangers, even if we won all our games.

With our game in hand the game v them, they would have to win every single game of to stay ahead of us.

Just Jimmy
11-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Or even better had we taken our chances against Aberdeen when they did us 0-1 at home.Absolutely. On current form we can expect to make a run at 2nd and 3rd.

Sir David Gray
11-03-2018, 11:05 AM
With our game in hand the game v them, they would have to win every single game of to stay ahead of us.

We are currently 7 points behind them having played the same number of games.

Even if we win every game, they would be able to afford to lose one other game and still finish above us.

We can currently get to 78 points, if Rangers win every game except for a loss to us, they can reach 82 points.

danhibees1875
11-03-2018, 11:07 AM
We are currently 7 points behind them having played the same number of games.

Even if we win every game, they would be able to afford to lose one other game and still finish above us.

We can currently get to 78 points, if Rangers win every game except for a loss to us, they can reach 82 points.

I was working on the assumption they'll lose today (not looking good on that front). Meaning we'd be 1 point worse off after winning all our games so they couldn't slip up.

Spike Mandela
11-03-2018, 11:19 AM
It’s a cliché but we really need to just take one game at a time and try to play to the best of our abilities. Every game will be difficult as teams are starting to fight against relegation and have their own targets.

Whilst aiming to get more points than Aberdeen we need to keep our feet on the ground and a watchful eye on the resurgent Kilmarnock.

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2018, 11:39 AM
We certainly have a chance of finishing 3rd, but IMO 2nd is gone, the Huns go 2 - 1 against Sellik as I type. I watched the 2nd half of Partick v Aberdeen last night and Partick didn't half throw them off their stride with a high pressing game in that half ,,, Christie, a player I rate, was awful and GMS who came on as a sub totally gave up after a firm challenge on him ... I don't speak Gaelic, but you could tell the commentator was pointing it out, GMS's body language was awful.

Anyway, I digress ..... Our record as a top 6 team is somewhere between bang average and rubbish, if we want to finish 3rd we have to overcome that and play every game as if it was a cup final.

It looks like we will have to play away at Ibrox, Pittodrie and the Rust Arena in 3 of our 5 top 6 games .... that's a hell of a tough schedule for any team.

Clarence
11-03-2018, 12:00 PM
It’s a cliché but we really need to just take one game at a time and try to play to the best of our abilities. Every game will be difficult as teams are starting to fight against relegation and have their own targets.

Whilst aiming to get more points than Aberdeen we need to keep our feet on the ground and a watchful eye on the resurgent Kilmarnock.

True dat

Jack Hackett
11-03-2018, 12:16 PM
We certainly have a chance of finishing 3rd, but IMO 2nd is gone, the Huns go 2 - 1 against Sellik as I type. I watched the 2nd half of Partick v Aberdeen last night and Partick didn't half throw them off their stride with a high pressing game in that half ,,, Christie, a player I rate, was awful and GMS who came on as a sub totally gave up after a firm challenge on him ... I don't speak Gaelic, but you could tell the commentator was pointing it out, GMS's body language was awful.

Anyway, I digress ..... Our record as a top 6 team is somewhere between bang average and rubbish, if we want to finish 3rd we have to overcome that and play every game as if it was a cup final.

It looks like we will have to play away at Ibrox, Pittodrie and the Rust Arena in 3 of our 5 top 6 games .... that's a hell of a tough schedule for any team.

We have to play some games away, and tbh, I think we have more chance of getting something from Ibrox than if the game is at ER. We just seem to excel there. Hertz at tiny? Pfft... we own them. Aberdeen away would give me the most cause for concern. We have come a long long way from our last appearances in the top 6 and should give a much better account of ourselves. 3rd is very achievable imo

Vini1875
11-03-2018, 12:54 PM
Finishing 3rd would be grand, but it is very likely that even in 4th one of the teams above us will win the cup and hand us a Europa spot.

Billy Whizz
11-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Finishing 3rd would be grand, but it is very likely that even in 4th one of the teams above us will win the cup and hand us a Europa spot.

2nd lets us into Europe 2 weeks later, it’s achievable

Eyrie
11-03-2018, 01:22 PM

We're due three home games and two away. Assuming the current top six stays the same then we've already visited Parkhead, Ibrox and Rugby Park twice with one trip to Pittodrie and Tynecastle, so our post-split fixtures are straightforward - home to Celtc, Sevco and Kimarnock, away to Aberdeen and Hearts. That ensures fairness in the race for second and an even split of the derbies.

The only problem is that Sevco have faced everyone twice at home, so two teams will need to visit Ibrox a third time. Celtc won't be asked to do that, and it would be unfair for either us or Aberdeen to do so when all three clubs are competing for second. However there has been a suggestion that we'll get shafted because we're treated as the lowest seed based on 2016/17 despite being higher up the table in 2017/18.

So we could lose out twice - losing a home game and having to play at a direct rival.

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2018, 01:29 PM
2nd lets us into Europe 2 weeks later, it’s achievable

It is now after todays result. You have to think blowing it against 10 men and losing any chance of catching Celtic will affect the Huns, for them 2nd is nowhere if Celtic win the league. Even though I highlighted how tough our post split schedule will be its not lost on me that Aberdeen are like a rabbit caught in the headlights when they face the uglies and as tough as it is for us, its just as tough for everybody else.

If we beat Hamilton in our rearranged game we are 15 points ahead of the Yams so they are out of the equation for anywhere above 5th place ... Killie are still in the hunt for 4th, but 8 points is still a fair deficit to overcome in 9 games.

Souter96Mac
11-03-2018, 02:04 PM
If we keep us this form we'll finish 2nd

Ozyhibby
11-03-2018, 02:04 PM
We're due three home games and two away. Assuming the current top six stays the same then we've already visited Parkhead, Ibrox and Rugby Park twice with one trip to Pittodrie and Tynecastle, so our post-split fixtures are straightforward - home to Celtc, Sevco and Kimarnock, away to Aberdeen and Hearts. That ensures fairness in the race for second and an even split of the derbies.

The only problem is that Sevco have faced everyone twice at home, so two teams will need to visit Ibrox a third time. Celtc won't be asked to do that, and it would be unfair for either us or Aberdeen to do so when all three clubs are competing for second. However there has been a suggestion that we'll get shafted because we're treated as the lowest seed based on 2016/17 despite being higher up the table in 2017/18.

So we could lose out twice - losing a home game and having to play at a direct rival.

If it’s based on seeding from last season then there is no reason Celtic shouldn’t be asked to go back there as Sevco were third last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet Left Peg
11-03-2018, 02:55 PM
We are on a good run of form and confidence will be high in the dressing room. The more games that Kamberi, MacLaren and Allan play together, the better they will gel with the rest of the team and each other. Early signs are good and our regular starting 11 will improve game on game. We should be aiming to win every game that we play because we have the collective ability to do so; we have shown that already this season. If we cut out the stupid lapses in concentration and "off-days", then there is no reason whatsoever that 2nd place isn't achievable. There is no doubt in my mind that the management and players will see 2nd as being a realistic target, as things stand.

LancsHibs
11-03-2018, 03:03 PM
I’m not conceding 2nd place yet, all to play for!

Sir David Gray
11-03-2018, 03:14 PM
I’m not conceding 2nd place yet, all to play for!

Winning on Friday is a must. Rangers know now that the league is gone. I firmly believe that a lot of their intensity in recent weeks was with today in mind, knowing that a win would draw them very close to Celtic. Now the title's all but gone, they only have the cup to play for and it wouldn't surprise me to see all their efforts go into that between now and the semi final.

overdrive
11-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Looking at the table, we have the second least number losses behind Celtic and the third highest number of draws. If only we’d have converted just less than half of those draws into wins, we’d be a point ahead of The Rangers in second with a game in hand.

Hibbyradge
11-03-2018, 03:23 PM
We're not going to win all our remaining games.

St Johnstone next week will be another real test because they've started to find some form

It would be goid for us if Celtic have already won the league when we play them otherwise it'll be very difficult to get the points.

Hearts at tiny is a tough game too although if we beat them there it would put the icing on a very good season.

Captain Trips
11-03-2018, 03:24 PM
We're not going to win all our remaining games.

St Johnstone next week will be another real test because they've started to find some form

It would be goid for us if Celtic have already won the league when we play them otherwise it'll be very difficult to get the points.

Hearts at tiny is a tough game too although if we beat them there it would put the icing on a very good season.

We won't be playing Hearts again this season I think.

Hibbyradge
11-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Looking at the table, we have the second least number losses behind Celtic and the third highest number of draws. If only we’d have converted just less than half of those draws into wins, we’d be a point ahead of The Rangers in second with a game in hand.

Yep.

And if Ross County had won all their games, they'd be top. :wink:

Hibbyradge
11-03-2018, 03:25 PM

We will. Definitely.

Sir David Gray
11-03-2018, 03:31 PM

Considering Motherwell's remaining fixtures, I just don't see them overtaking Hearts. They had a huge chance yesterday against Hamilton and blew it.

Jack Hackett
11-03-2018, 03:53 PM
We will. Definitely.

Definitely maybe

Hibbyradge
11-03-2018, 04:13 PM
Definitely maybe

Mibbes aye.

cam75
12-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Can anyone me how many points Aberdeen were in front of us earlier in the season I thought it was 12/15 points at 1 point?

EH54
12-03-2018, 11:07 AM
I'm happy with 4th, Would be over the moon with 3rd and 2nd would be an unbelievable achievement. If we go into the split 2 behind Aberdeen 4 Behind Rangers giving us a chance I would be happy, Its been a great season Trip to Hampden The gap between us and hearts and top it off with a European place will be great. We just keep getting better and better

Onion
12-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Would have taken 4th at the start of the season, but to be within a few points of The Cheating Huns and Dons at this stage is an outstanding effort by Hibs. Getting into Europe would exceed expectations.

Stokesy's on fire
12-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Aberdeen honk and have been punching above their weight for long enough I'm confident we will catch them. Watching them turn on Derek McHunnis has been great entertainment.

bingo70
12-03-2018, 06:33 PM
Considering Motherwell's remaining fixtures, I just don't see them overtaking Hearts. They had a huge chance yesterday against Hamilton and blew it.

St Johnstone are still capable of catching them too.

Billy Whizz
12-03-2018, 06:40 PM
St Johnstone are still capable of catching them too.

But they will have to beat us Bingo, and we certainly don’t want that

Would be nice to see Partick beat Hearts in Saturday, nothing to do with top 6, just be nice to see their fans imploding if this happened😎

Keith_M
12-03-2018, 06:49 PM
It's been a while since we won at Tynecastle so I'd love to see us do that after the split.

I think finishing 3rd is possible but 2nd is probably a bit too much to ask.

Sir David Gray
12-03-2018, 06:51 PM
It's been a while since we won at Tynecastle so I'd love to see us do that after the split.

If we win on Friday we have a chance. 4 points behind plus they'll hopefully be putting all their focus into their cup semi now that the title is all but over.

SRHibs
12-03-2018, 06:56 PM
We are the more likely of the 2 to finish 3rd in my eyes. If you consider our upcoming fixtures, plus the standard of our performances versus the top tier of teams, it would be slightly disappointing not to finish above Aberdeen.

Really looking forward to another European tie. This might seem like unjustified confidence based on our, and other Scottish teams’, recent European history, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see us picking up a couple of wins. Even against Brondby, when Lennon had only been here a short time, we impressed and were unlucky to go out. With his style of management, and with it being his Hibs side now, I’m definitely excited. Maybe getting a bit ahead of myself though.

Austinho
13-03-2018, 08:57 AM
We are the more likely of the 2 to finish 3rd in my eyes. If you consider our upcoming fixtures, plus the standard of our performances versus the top tier of teams, it would be slightly disappointing not to finish above Aberdeen.

Really looking forward to another European tie. This might seem like unjustified confidence based on our, and other Scottish teams’, recent European history, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see us picking up a couple of wins. Even against Brondby, when Lennon had only been here a short time, we impressed and were unlucky to go out. With his style of management, and with it being his Hibs side now, I’m definitely excited. Maybe getting a bit ahead of myself though.I think you’re probably right in getting ahead of yourself... We have no idea what the team will look like next season. Both our strikers are on loan, so is Barker, and there are questions surrounding McGinn, McGeouch and Scott Allan. Definitely optimistic about us finishing strongly at the end of this season, but there might be some rebuilding to do in the summer. Unfortunately, the July start in Europe will probably be too early to get up to speed and do well.

Greenbeard
13-03-2018, 08:57 AM

Exactly. One game at a time, no matter who, starting on Friday. Over the piece, our form and points gained v. top six has been VG. It's the points dropped v. bottom six teams which sees us currently 4th instead of 2nd where we should be.

JimBHibees
13-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Thought the Kilmarnock Aberdeen game tonight in the cup would have been on the box. As thought the rule about not clashing with the champions league had changed. I see Brentford are playing Cardiff on Sky.

Hope Aberdeen win to make 4th place more likely to get europe through cup. I see Killie are at Ibrox at the weekend so 3 points Friday would put us in a very good position. Think Saints will be tougher than they were against Rangers a few weeks back especially after gubbing Dundee away 4 0.

WeeRussell
13-03-2018, 09:43 AM
I think we will finish above Aberdeen now. Huns will likely be second but it’s not done yet.

Certainly all to play for and we are a team in form. Bring it on.

HibeeHibernian4
13-03-2018, 09:45 AM
Thought the Kilmarnock Aberdeen game tonight in the cup would have been on the box. As thought the rule about not clashing with the champions league had changed. I see Brentford are playing Cardiff on Sky.

Hope Aberdeen win to make 4th place more likely to get europe through cup. I see Killie are at Ibrox at the weekend so 3 points Friday would put us in a very good position. Think Saints will be tougher than they were against Rangers a few weeks back especially after gubbing Dundee away 4 0.

You're correct, it has. Not being shown for whatever reason, but Sky or the BBC would be within their rights to show it tonight.

Billy Whizz
13-03-2018, 09:53 AM
You're correct, it has. Not being shown for whatever reason, but Sky or the BBC would be within their rights to show it tonight.

If rangers or Celtic had been playing, it would have been on
Shame this one isn’t, would fancy watching this, rather than CL

Liberal Hibby
13-03-2018, 10:00 AM
So if Aberdeen win tonight we just have to finish above Killie to get a European place?

Ozyhibby
13-03-2018, 10:15 AM
No, we need them to beat Motherwell in the semi as well. I think we will finish above them in the league anyway.

CRAZYHIBBY
13-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Poor refereeing decisions and throwing away 2 goal leads have cost us second place

SJNB Hibby
13-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Can anyone me how many points Aberdeen were in front of us earlier in the season I thought it was 12/15 points at 1 point?

Biggest gap was 10, but it was 8 only three games back

cam75
13-03-2018, 10:34 AM
Biggest gap was 10, but it was 8 only three games back

Cheers 💚

JeMeSouviens
13-03-2018, 10:41 AM

Eh?

Our 4 games pre-split are St Johnstone (A), Thistle (H), Accies (H), Ross County (A). All winnable albeit St Johnstone seem to have finally got their act together.

The New Huns have Killie (H), Well (A), Dundee (H). I could see them dropping points in the first 2.

They are favourites, but if we get to the split 4 points behind them and beat them it's very much game on.

EH54
13-03-2018, 10:53 AM
@JeMeSouviens (http://www.hibs.net/member.php?70-JeMeSouviens)

My thoughts exactly, Even if we don't make up ground before the split on Aberdeen or Rangers, Although disappointing it would be considering our run in and both theirs i would be more than happy going into split the way things stands and puts us right in the mix the race for 2nd and 3rd will be quite an entertaining one

JimBHibees
13-03-2018, 11:00 AM
If rangers or Celtic had been playing, it would have been on
Shame this one isn’t, would fancy watching this, rather than CL

Totally agree you would have thought BBC would have been all over it given their lack of meaningful live sport. As you say if the OF had been involved would have been a stick on to be shown.

Souter96Mac
13-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Tonight's game impacts ourselves. If aberdeen win then that improves our chances of Europe as it leaves motherwell as the only side who could win the cup out of the top 3 currently. Also gives Aberdeen an extra game to play, potentially taking focus away from the league which could help us in the race for top 3

JimBHibees
13-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Tonight's game impacts ourselves. If aberdeen win then that improves our chances of Europe as it leaves motherwell as the only side who could win the cup out of the top 3 currently. Also gives Aberdeen an extra game to play, potentially taking focus away from the league which could help us in the race for top 3

Totally agree wouldnt see Motherwell winning the cup if Aberdeen win, Killie in current form possibly could.

danhibees1875
13-03-2018, 11:23 AM

:agree: Mon the Sheepies.

Then a Hibs win Friday, and Killie to get a draw at Ibrox on Saturday - perfect.

Hearts getting beat wouldn't really be of much help or hindrance, but would also be "pleasing".

Bristolhibby
13-03-2018, 11:47 AM
If it’s based on seeding from last season then there is no reason Celtic shouldn’t be asked to go back there as Sevco were third last season.

Correct. In every other league and far away worlds this is correct.

This is Scotland however and Rantic will both get even home / away games, particularly against each other.

As sure as night follows day.

J

JeMeSouviens
13-03-2018, 11:52 AM

This is Scotland however and Rantic will both get even home / away games, particularly against each other.

J

Sevco are P15 W7 D2 L6 at home and P15 W11 D2 L2 away - we'd be better off at Ibrox.

Edit - although I totally agree with your point.

overdrive
13-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Poor refereeing decisions and throwing away 2 goal leads have cost us second place

A more succinct way of saying what i was trying to say the other day.

steelendhibs
13-03-2018, 12:04 PM
Are the post split fixtures ever announced before the 33rd if it is mathematically certain who the top 6 will be, or do they always wait until after game 33?

HibeeHibernian4
13-03-2018, 12:13 PM
Are the post split fixtures ever announced before the 33rd if it is mathematically certain who the top 6 will be, or do they always wait until after game 33?

I can't remember a precedent for it, I suppose there's nothing to logically stop it, if it's mathematically wrapped up.

steelendhibs
13-03-2018, 12:44 PM
I can't remember a precedent for it, I suppose there's nothing to logically stop it, if it's mathematically wrapped up.

If hearts win there next two games (thistle and dundee), Killin win one of their next two (rangers and hamilton) and motherwell and st Johnstone lose their next two (rangers/Celtic and us/ Aberdeen respectively), the top six could be confirmed by the end of the weekend we play thistle at home

Eyrie
13-03-2018, 07:54 PM

J

To be fair, we'd be raging if we had to make a third trip to the PBS so I have no problem with the bigot-fests being shared evenly.

However there is no reason why either of them should be guaranteed a minimum of nineteen home games when the rest of us risk only getting eighteen.