PDA

View Full Version : Liam Mcleod commentary

SirDavidsNapper
10-03-2018, 10:59 PM
I've said for a long time his commentary was superb. Really enjoyed his cup final coverage. This is great also. He's obviously learned a lot from the likes of David Begg. Head and shoulders above Ian Crocker for me.

https://youtu.be/PMtf3pyMAP4

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Johnny_Leith
10-03-2018, 11:10 PM
I think he's a terrible commentator.

Against Motherwell, Lafferty attempted a Marco van basten esq volley which he hilariously sclaffed wide. McLeod's commentary?

"Well you can't blame him for trying it, we all know he's capable".

I think he lacks basic understanding, uses far too many clichés and is nowhere near Ian crocker.

SirDavidsNapper
10-03-2018, 11:13 PM

Against Motherwell, Lafferty attempted a Marco van basten esq volley which he hilariously sclaffed wide. McLeod's commentary?

I think he lacks basic understanding, uses far too many clichés and is nowhere near Ian crocker.

Fair point. To me Crocker recycles the same phrases over and over. It's all opinion i guess!

My_Wife_Camille
10-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Liam MacLeod is the worst commentator I’ve ever heard on TV or radio in any language

Jones28
10-03-2018, 11:58 PM
I like him, "in comes the corner, in goes the goal" is instant tears for me - he was very emotive and to me he has symbolised the most important Hibs game in my lifetime.

It isn't the same for everyone but he's 1000 times better than Rob "explains what's happening half a second after it's happened" McLean

SirDavidsNapper
11-03-2018, 12:03 AM
I like him, "in comes the corner, in goes the goal" is instant tears for me - he was very emotive and to me he has symbolised the most important Hibs game in my lifetime.

It isn't the same for everyone but he's 1000 times better than Rob "explains what's happening half a second after it's happened" McLean

Yup. He got caught in the moment with Grays winner. Im exactly tge same when i hear it.

California-Hibs
11-03-2018, 01:14 AM
I agree, I think he’s fantastic!

Frazerbob
11-03-2018, 02:46 AM
Another big fan of Liam MacLeod. In fact, I hear him every time my phone rings.

HoboHarry
11-03-2018, 03:01 AM
I like him too, wasn't it him that said "oh wow" when Leigh scored the fourth goal against Falkirk in the 4-3 game?

Austinho
11-03-2018, 03:26 AM
How can you not love Ian Crocker after this? Ian Crocker blatant bias Hibs vs Rangers 01/11/2015 (https://youtu.be/I6TdU9E9864)

:flag::not worth

Superfurry72
11-03-2018, 06:34 AM

He also said before Lafferty took the pen in that game that he hadn’t missed one all season. Er, yes, apart from the one a few days earlier. I hate his commentating. He sounds like a child stuffed full of ritalin and chocolate.

hibsbollah
11-03-2018, 06:45 AM
He's my least favourite commentator. He has a roaring shout when a goal goes in which goes through me like Agathe through the Dundee defence.

BoomtownHibees
11-03-2018, 06:47 AM
Hearts ****

Broken Gnome
11-03-2018, 07:03 AM
He generally talks far too much. His needless and constant use of club nicknames in simple lines of commentary is annoying as hell. He pronounces his Bs and Ps as if he's trying to carry out acts of violence via bucketloads of phlegm and spit.

Quite liked his cup final commentary after Gray's goal mind you, nicely got over the significance of what was happening. His derby commentary sounds alright too, but that's more because it highlights the difference between actually hearing a live account of the match rather than Sportscene's usual post-match dubbing.

IGRIGI
11-03-2018, 07:12 AM
He went through a phase where he was absolutely obsessed with mentioning the 5-1 final at every opportunity.

He also has the voice of a 16 year old.

Seems he's improved from that video but usually he's a grade A roaster.

IGRIGI
11-03-2018, 07:13 AM
Head and shoulders above Crocker? Have a word, Crocker knows the score with his natural order restored comments.

Carheenlea
11-03-2018, 07:20 AM
I enjoy Liam Mcleoud’s commentating very much. He seems to be genuinely enthusiastic and interested about the games he is covereing, unlike some of his peers who sound like they would rather be doing something else.

hibsbollah
11-03-2018, 07:24 AM
I enjoy Liam Mcleoud’s commentating very much. He seems to be genuinely enthusiastic and interested about the games he is covereing, unlike some of his peers who sound like they would rather be doing something else.

Enthusiasm is no substitute for ability, a wise man said. I've just thought that Liam McLeod is like an anti-Rob McLean. ADHD kid vs Mr Rather Be Anywhere Else Than Here.

Frazerbob
11-03-2018, 07:25 AM
Hearts ****

Aberdeen fan

BoomtownHibees
11-03-2018, 07:35 AM
Aberdeen fan

If true then seems odd how often he has mentioned 5-1 in the past

Edit: I’m possibly thinking of Paul Mitchell being the Hearts ****

Ringothedog
11-03-2018, 07:51 AM
Another big fan of Liam MacLeod. In fact, I hear him every time my phone rings.

Snap🇳🇬🍾

Just Jimmy
11-03-2018, 08:03 AM
Head and shoulders above Crocker? Have a word, Crocker knows the score with his natural order restored comments."Hibs on the prowl again in a menacing mood, twisting, turning, lovely one twoooo . . . . that. is. absolutely wonderful by Russell Latapy! 6 of the best from hibs! they've. been. just. stunning!"

Liam McLeod couldn't lace his boots...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

WHAM
11-03-2018, 08:06 AM

I’m with you on this one.

When you also hear his commentary of the cup final pitch invasion he understands the levels of emotion the Hibs support felt and that history was being made.

Unlike others who were too busy condemning us.

lapsedhibee
11-03-2018, 08:06 AM
If true then seems odd how often he has mentioned 5-1 in the past

Edit: I’m possibly thinking of Paul Mitchell being the Hearts ****

Mitchell's the yam but it was McLeod that did the 5-1 ad nauseam.

MartinfaePorty
11-03-2018, 08:18 AM
Liam McLeod to me epitomises the change in commentators over the years. Instead of describing the game, he often seems to be more intent on giving a soundbite that can be replayed, especially when there is a goal. Having said that, I thought he was a bit better on Friday, so maybe I'm less judgmental when we win!

Sir David Gray
11-03-2018, 08:19 AM
McLeod's awful, can't stand him.

I thought his reaction to our second goal on Friday was very low key.

cleanyman
11-03-2018, 08:22 AM
It was a travesty when Paul Mitchell was ditched for the TV. For me you have to have an almost neutral accent. McLeod doesn't have that and I think he's terrible in his delivery. David Begg was fantastic.

Elephant Stone
11-03-2018, 08:48 AM
I think he's shockingly bad, the only commentator I can't listen to. If I'm watching a game on BBC and he's commentating the sound's off.

Carheenlea
11-03-2018, 08:49 AM
Enthusiasm is no substitute for ability, a wise man said. I've just thought that Liam McLeod is like an anti-Rob McLean. ADHD kid vs Mr Rather Be Anywhere Else Than Here.

:hilarious you’re not far off the mark to be fair

Sauzee16
11-03-2018, 08:57 AM
Crocker has been a legend since 6-2. Now every single match Hibs, Hearts or Huns play in he always says at corners so and so to deliver... I hate McLeod Aberdeen fan but very bitter against us. Mitchell is a Jambo but was impartial. Bring back Jock Brown for the bbc. Alexander and Begg where by far the best though. Begg in the Ivan hat trick game I can still replay over in my head.

KNBE
11-03-2018, 09:25 AM
He showed a basic lack of football knowledge in his commentary on Friday's game by failing to point out that both our goals were scrappy.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

brog
11-03-2018, 09:31 AM
I've said for a long time his commentary was superb. Really enjoyed his cup final coverage. This is great also. He's obviously learned a lot from the likes of David Begg. Head and shoulders above Ian Crocker for me.

TBF that's not bad at all though the "maroon dragoon" comment was obviously rehearsed. There's no doubt he's improved but he needed to. Comparing him to Ian Crocker though is like comparing Laugherty to Joe Baker.

Velma Dinkley
11-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Is Lewis Macleod the the BBC Radio Scotland commentator who regularly tells everyone how many minutes have been played but rarely mentions where the ball is or what's happening to it?

Broken Gnome
11-03-2018, 09:47 AM
Is Lewis Macleod the the BBC Radio Scotland commentator who regularly tells everyone how many minutes have been played but rarely mentions where the ball is or what's happening to it?

That's the one.

Stat.

"62 minutes gone here."

Stat.

"62 and a half minutes played here."

Stat....

Frazerbob
11-03-2018, 09:51 AM
TBF that's not bad at all though the "maroon dragoon" comment was obviously rehearsed. There's no doubt he's improved but he needed to. Comparing him to Ian Crocker though is like comparing Laugherty to Joe Baker.

Of course it was rehearsed. All commentators do their pre-work and have notes of facts to tell us, points to make, jovial quibs etc should certain things happen. Have you never seen the great Bill McLaren’s scrap books?

My_Wife_Camille
11-03-2018, 10:20 AM
That's the one.

Stat.

"62 minutes gone here."

Stat.

"62 and a half minutes played here."

Stat....
“Good play from the Lithuanian”

”played wide by the Irishman”

”So unlucky for the Australian”

Broken Gnome
11-03-2018, 10:43 AM
“Good play from the Lithuanian”

”played wide by the Irishman”

”So unlucky for the Australian”

IT'S NOT JUST ME.

Relieved.

One Day Soon
11-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Crocker is an actual Hibs fixture now.

His "Henderson to deliver", "What kept you Hibs, what kept you?" and "At last, at last, at last" are as iconic to me as "Some people are on the pitch, they think its all over. It is now" is to an Englishman. In fact that last line could have done for us in 2016 too...:wink:

Frazerbob
11-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Both Crocker and McLeod did a fantastic job of the final. Both gave us iconic sound bites. Liam McLeod at full time was also brilliant....and I have no doubt he pre scripted it.

LaMotta
11-03-2018, 11:21 AM
Both Crocker and McLeod did a fantastic job of the final. Both gave us iconic sound bites. Liam McLeod at full time was also brilliant....and I have no doubt he pre scripted it.

:agree:

MartinfaePorty
11-03-2018, 12:05 PM
It was a travesty when Paul Mitchell was ditched for the TV. For me you have to have an almost neutral accent. McLeod doesn't have that and I think he's terrible in his delivery. David Begg was fantastic.I heard a rumour from someone that knows Paul Mitchell a little that McLeod was willing to take less money and BBC Scotland were skint so were happy to accommodate him. Mitchell was apparently raging.

SirDavidsNapper
11-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Really good interview with David Begg. Imo the best there's been

https://youtu.be/NLFDHOQVBSU

California-Hibs
11-03-2018, 01:44 PM

How anyone can click on that video and watch it and say his commentary there was terrible, needs a shake. It was superb!

In my opinion of course..

SirDavidsNapper
11-03-2018, 02:00 PM
How anyone can click on that video and watch it and say his commentary there was terrible, needs a shake. It was superb!

In my opinion of course..

It's all opinion but I think he nails it every time

Winston Ingram
11-03-2018, 02:27 PM
Liam McLeod is an excellent commentator.

This was brilliant

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22049755

Lago
11-03-2018, 02:34 PM
:thumbsup:
I agree, I think he’s fantastic!

DavidDavidGray
11-03-2018, 04:37 PM
I like Liam McLeod. Genuinely sounds excited about games he commentates on and commentates well. Not as good as Ian Crocker but still decent

My_Wife_Camille
11-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Doing the Old Firm on Sportscene.

Just waiting for Morelos to be described as ‘The Colombian’ and Rogic as ‘The Australian’

My_Wife_Camille
11-03-2018, 05:05 PM
Doing the Old Firm on Sportscene.

Just waiting for Morelos to be described as ‘The Colombian’ and Rogic as ‘The Australian’
As if by magic:cb

hhibs
11-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Really good interview with David Begg. Imo the best there's been

https://youtu.be/NLFDHOQVBSU

Nah,the late great Davie Francie,made a blade of grass growing exciting !

ajf
11-03-2018, 10:22 PM
I think he's shockingly bad, the only commentator I can't listen to. If I'm watching a game on BBC and he's commentating the sound's off.

This , his voice annoys me

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2018, 10:37 PM
Nah,the late great Davie Francie,made a blade of grass growing exciting !

During the 1975 cup final I remember vividly his description of the wasp that had flown into the commentary box causing him to spill his Bovril and a brilliant description during the game of folk waiting to catch a bus outside the ground at Dens park ....... Francie was a genius, never to be bettered, I genuinely shed a tear when I heard he had died :not worth

ekhibee
12-03-2018, 01:39 AM
I might be wrong but surely one of the reasons Paul Mitchell might not commentate on some cup finals or other Sunday matches is because he's a lay preacher and might have other commitments? He's done a few 'thoughts for the day' on the weekday morning news programme on Radio Scotland. The BBC would need someone available all weekend I would imagine. Just a guess though.

Big_Franck
12-03-2018, 06:07 AM

Same. His normal voice is irritating enough but he puts this weird strain on his voice when a goal is scored and the sound really grates on me.

SunshineOnLeith
12-03-2018, 06:42 AM
Nobody who chucks in the phrase 'maroon dragoon' can be called a good commentator.

Guaranteed he had some line involving that written down for a hearts goal.