PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine on Leith after a derby win

Monts
10-03-2018, 07:46 PM
Is it becoming too common? No longer a truly special occasion?

With the expectation of a hibs win, at home in a league game, does it still have the same impact? Or should it be kept for more one off occasions? Cup ties etc?

DavidDavidGray
10-03-2018, 07:50 PM

With the expectation of a hibs win, at home in a league game, does it still have the same impact? Or should it be kept for more one off occasions? Cup ties etc?

Should only occur after home derby wins, cup semi final wins and cup wins. A special song that is only sung on special occasions.

Jones28
10-03-2018, 07:55 PM
I thought last nights rendition was the poorest we've had, very out of time. Shame on you, singing too quickly.

Keith_M
No.

Next question.

Eyrie
Should only occur after home derby wins, cup semi final wins and cup wins. A special song that is only sung on special occasions.

I think that's bernz' point. Home derby wins are now becoming routine rather than special. It's a consequence of the level playing field that we'll just have to put up with.

wookie70
10-03-2018, 08:14 PM
Derby wins are so common that Sunshine on Leith has become a one verse affair at ER. I liked the addition of the torches and we will have to get the timing better fot the first game we play against them at ER next season. It still feels special to me

Johnny Clash
10-03-2018, 08:27 PM
I thought last nights rendition was the poorest we've had, very out of time. Shame on you, singing too quickly.

I felt that too. I guess beating the Jams is becoming almost routine as we now turn our sights on their big brothers from the West!

RoYO!
10-03-2018, 08:31 PM
Couldn't hear the speakers in the east. At all. Far worse than normal. Even at HT levels were all over the place.

Clarence
10-03-2018, 08:36 PM
I thought New Order would have been a good shout last night

southsider
10-03-2018, 08:43 PM
One guy who is a Buddy and stays down the shore. Heard SOL from ER last night..Made the back of his hairs stand on end. Its our song and we should sign it with pride.Always.

Dashing Bob S
10-03-2018, 08:45 PM
I think that's bernz' point. Home derby wins are now becoming routine rather than special. It's a consequence of the level playing field that we'll just have to put up with.

There must be something than somebody can do about this level playing field nonsense.

Diclonius
10-03-2018, 08:46 PM
Sunshine on Leith should be reserved for the following:

Derby wins
Wins over either half of the OF
Semi final/final wins
European wins/progressing to next round

They may be common now but we'll go through another spell where beating them becomes more difficult. In the same boat as not buying tickets to games at Hampden because we go all the time, forgetting that we didn't go once between 2007 and 2012.

Hulk1875
10-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Just reading these comments and I said this last night of course I was happy to beat them but comparing the buzz I felt the night we won when Jason cummings scored the early goal it was different. And I think it's because we should be beating them and getting used to success against them and just hibs as a club.

WoreTheGreen
10-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Yeah said also we don’t want to dialute it down to just beating a small time team

calumhibee1
10-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Sunshine in Leith should be reserved for the following:

Derby wins
Semi final/final wins

They may be common now but we'll go through another spell where beating them becomes more difficult. In the same boat as not buying tickets to games at Hampden because we go all the time, forgetting that we didn't go once between 2007 and 2012.

I don't know why but I think it should be sang before European games. And after if we win and progress.

IWasThere2016
10-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Ffs .. Never!!

Pretty Boy
10-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Had a non regular attendee with me last night who thought SOL was amazing.

Don't overthink it.

givescotlandfreedom
10-03-2018, 10:05 PM
I can live with the inconvenience a couple of times a season :D

tamig
10-03-2018, 10:08 PM

Never. It should always be sung after a win over them.

SirDavidsNapper
10-03-2018, 10:12 PM

Thought the same. No 3 stands sung it at the same time

Hibs4185
10-03-2018, 10:14 PM
After the 6-2 game it was “oh such a perfect day” , apologies I don’t know the correct name of the song, but that song was the perfect end to a perfect day.!

In my opinion sunshine on leith is becoming a bit too common which is taking away from how special it is when it is sung. Against a rank hearts team that we are expected to win? Not for me.

Lennon mentality-it should only be for a game when we exceed expectations. This hearts team is not worthy of a SOL rendition.

matty_f
10-03-2018, 10:15 PM
The players love it and definitely appreciate it. For that reason I think it should continue to be played after 'significant' results.

WhileTheChief..
10-03-2018, 10:16 PM
They started playing it way too soon after the final whistle. Didn’t give any time for normal celebrations so it was all kinda out of kilter.

I agree thiugh, it loses some of the magic if it’s too regular.

Hibs4185
10-03-2018, 10:19 PM
After the 6-2 game it was “oh such a perfect day” , apologies I don’t know the correct name of the song, but that song was the perfect end to a perfect day.!

In my opinion sunshine on leith is becoming a bit too common which is taking away from how special it is when it is sung. Against a rank hearts team that we are expected to win? Not for me.

Lennon mentality-it should only be for a game when we exceed expectations. This hearts team is not worthy of a SOL rendition.

shetlandhibee
10-03-2018, 10:41 PM
:agree:
:top marks

AgentDaleCooper
10-03-2018, 10:46 PM
I thought it was great.

hibee_girl
10-03-2018, 10:47 PM
The players love it and definitely appreciate it. For that reason I think it should continue to be played after 'significant' results.

:agree:

Pretty sure I saw Whittaker point to the stands and tell Kamberi to ‘watch’ at full time

Thecat23
10-03-2018, 10:49 PM
Have to admit, it looked more chilled than the others. Maybe winning so much takes the passion out it a little. If we make Europe and beat a side I’m sure it’ll be blasted out!

Flyman
10-03-2018, 10:49 PM
Everything’s gone green?

Pagan Hibernia
10-03-2018, 10:52 PM
Sunshine in Leith should be reserved for the following:

Derby wins
Semi final/final wins

dont forget after we win the league :greengrin

Personally I love the fact we sing it after beating them. I want it ringing in their ears as they walk out (assuming they haven’t gone 10 minutes before the end). I’d hate it to become like YNWA and be sung every game though. That song has been completely ruined through overuse.

CRAZYHIBBY
10-03-2018, 10:56 PM
Its our anthem we can sing it when we want...i agree they played it too early this time though

monktonharp
10-03-2018, 11:01 PM
They started playing it way too soon after the final whistle. Didn’t give any time for normal celebrations so it was all kinda out of kilter.

I agree thiugh, it loses some of the magic if it’s too regular.I disagree. don't understand why we need to actually wait on the music to start.we all know the song, and why wait on some kinda teacher telling us to sing? it is our special song, for special days and every time we pump them, it's special in my mind.

monktonharp
10-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Its our anthem we can sing it when we want...i agree they played it too early this time thoughwho played it? that's my point. it's us that sing it. I'm not interested in someone calling "Cue SOL".

Wee Effen Bee
10-03-2018, 11:18 PM
What a load of mince. We should always sing it at the end of every single derby. I heard the German group from Werder B were blown away by it. Let’s not come out with this ‘routine’ win rubbish. A victory against Hearts should always be celebrated - whether they are Playing well or are propping up League 2. How quickly this site flip flops between, ‘our manager is sheit’ and ‘our players are crap’, to ‘ we are far superior to HMFC that SOL is Losing its lustre

WhileTheChief..
10-03-2018, 11:26 PM
I disagree. don't understand why we need to actually wait on the music to start.we all know the song, and why wait on some kinda teacher telling us to sing? it is our special song, for special days and every time we pump them, it's special in my mind.

I just felt there was no time to talk about the win with the folk I was with, It was final whistle and straight into SoL.

Usually you’d have a miinute or two to take things in, give some applause, discuss the excitement of the win then belt it out.

It’s a tiny tiny complaint mind you so I’m not gonna argue about it :aok:

WhileTheChief..
10-03-2018, 11:28 PM
who played it? that's my point. it's us that sing it. I'm not interested in someone calling "Cue SOL".

The fans started to sing it when it was played over the tannoy. What we’re saying is that they played it a tad too soon.

It also kinda interrupted us telling Craig Levein to cheer up!

Deansy
10-03-2018, 11:34 PM

No - it's just us beating them that's become common - so common I think we should call SOL the 'Derby Theme-tune' !!

southsider
10-03-2018, 11:43 PM
No - it's just us beating them that's become common - so common I think we should call SOL the 'Derby Theme-tune' !!

Loved "there is only one Neil Lennon" last night. So true, born winner, ggtth

monktonharp
10-03-2018, 11:45 PM
The fans started to sing it when it was played over the tannoy. What we’re saying is that they played it a tad too soon.

It also kinda interrupted us telling Craig Levein to cheer up!point taken, but mine's is that even if it's spontaneous I am all for it even if the West cant keep up wi' us Easties :greengrin:

Northernhibee
10-03-2018, 11:52 PM
I love how when they'll have been walking out of the stadium all they can hear in the background is thousands upon thousands of Hibees singing SoL. Again. It must be agony for them.

10-03-2018, 11:55 PM

Regarding when SOL should be sung, don't change a thing. What do you think?

WhileTheChief..
10-03-2018, 11:55 PM
Yup.

Also loved the “are you watching Craig Levein” when the banner was unfurled.

It it must have been excruciating for him standing there knowing that the whole of Scottish football was laughing at him!

BigT-Hibeez
11-03-2018, 12:49 AM

Perfect Day - Lou Reed

BigT-Hibeez
11-03-2018, 12:58 AM
At the home games with near sell out attendances, we should sing it before kick off, and definitely for home games that are on the telly..

Borderhibbie76
11-03-2018, 01:04 AM
Just reading these comments and I said this last night of course I was happy to beat them but comparing the buzz I felt the night we won when Jason cummings scored the early goal it was different. And I think it's because we should be beating them and getting used to success against them and just hibs as a club.I wasn't even that nervous pre match last night...I just expected us to win. TBH it's the first time I've ever felt like that going into a derby...I was just confident that of we turned up...as Lennons hibs normally do in the big games we would beat them. And so it proved. Great being a Hibee at the moment

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Harp Awakes
11-03-2018, 01:08 AM
I wasn't even that nervous pre match last night...I just expected us to win. TBH it's the first time I've ever felt like that going into a derby...I was just confident that of we turned up...as Lennons hibs normally do in the big games we would beat them. And so it proved. Great being a Hibee at the moment

I felt exactly the same. At half time I was still confident we'd turn them over.

I'll never get fed up singing SOL. A brilliant song and we're becoming famous over the world for singing it.

Borderhibbie76
11-03-2018, 01:10 AM
I felt exactly the same. At half time I was still confident we'd turn them over.

I'll never get fed up singing SOL. A brilliant song and we're becoming famous over the world for singing it.Agreed mate SOL will never get boring and should always be belted out after dismantling those Gorgie rats...like you I was still confident even at HT
We are streets ahead of them at the moment

Buc
11-03-2018, 01:34 AM
As has been said it was played too early. I sometimes feel the supporters are expected to perform for the cameras.

Going back to the 6-2 game, I am not a U2 fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I love the perfect day song because any time I hear it I go straight back to that foggy Sunday night of perfection at Easter Road

Austinho
11-03-2018, 05:20 AM
I think we should still play it if we win a home derby. What better motivation for the players to get the win than to be a part of that. I think this group of players final know how much winning the derby means to us and turn up every time accordingly.

It also increases the profile of the club. I’ve seen the fans singing Sunshine on Leith on BBC and Sky Sports a few times now. How many other sets of fans get that kind of positive exposure across the UK?

Steve-O
11-03-2018, 06:48 AM
As has been said it was played too early. I sometimes feel the supporters are expected to perform for the cameras.

Going back to the 6-2 game, I am not a U2 fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I love the perfect day song because any time I hear it I go straight back to that foggy Sunday night of perfection at Easter Road

Beautiful Day :wink:

I’d forgotten that actually, but you’re correct.

Steve-O
11-03-2018, 06:49 AM
Perfect Day - Lou Reed

Nah it was Beautiful Day which had just been released IIRC

H18 SFR
11-03-2018, 07:00 AM
Couldn't hear the speakers in the east. At all. Far worse than normal. Even at HT levels were all over the place.

In the FF Lower and also blame the sound system.

Monts
11-03-2018, 10:32 AM
Regarding when SOL should be sung, don't change a thing. What do you think?

I thought it was a bit flatter than after previous derbies. I was wondering if that was due to the expectation of the win.

overdrive
11-03-2018, 10:33 AM
My one gripe the other night was that players seemed to be off the pitch quite quickly. There was still a fair chunk of the song left to go by the time all the players were inside. I’m not sure if that’s because of the timing of when they played the song or whether the players did their rounds very quickly or what.

sleeping giant
11-03-2018, 10:59 AM
I'm still amazed that most folk around me don't know the actual words :greengrin:

NadeAteMyLunch!
11-03-2018, 12:43 PM
Was ‘Beautiful day-U2’ after 6-2, as others have said. The other cracker that night that was played after most of our goals was ‘Moby-Why does my heart feel so bad’. Was very fitting. That was of course pre SOL days and when you watch it back, we actually spend the last 5 mins singing You’ll never walk alone.

c31
11-03-2018, 12:55 PM
I'm still amazed that most folk around me don't know the actual words :greengrin:

On the other hand jambos have heard it so many times recently that they should be able to sing it word perfectly by now...

Real Emerald
11-03-2018, 12:59 PM
It’s an anthem the envy of most other supporters, the Hearts hate that we own it so let’s use it as often as possible when we beat them GGTTH .

Jonnyboy
11-03-2018, 01:07 PM
I love how when they'll have been walking out of the stadium all they can hear in the background is thousands upon thousands of Hibees singing SoL. Again. It must be agony for them.

Saved me posting the exact same thing 👍

southsider
11-03-2018, 01:11 PM
Maybe Queen Annie will write a song for them ? She seems to do everything else.

Frazerbob
11-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Are folk seriously suggesting that SOL after beating Hearts is getting boring?

WhileTheChief..
11-03-2018, 01:30 PM
It’s not that folk are saying that but on Friday night it was pale in comparison to previous nights when we’ve beaten them.

I think folk are just chatting about why that was the case.

Aim Here
11-03-2018, 02:06 PM

Assuming they stay until SoL sparks up. About four fifths of the away crowd on Friday were well clear of Easter Road and were halfway across Princes Street by the time the final whistle went...

Eyrie
11-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Maybe Queen Annie will write a song for them ? She seems to do everything else.

Don't give her ideas. She'll charge them royalties.

Lancs Harp
11-03-2018, 02:32 PM
My only slight issue with SoL at the end of the game is that when it is being sung and the players are parading around the pitch, they want to hear it belting out with scarves aloft. So many would rather just applaud the players. Ask the players what they would rather have if you're not sure.

staunchhibby
11-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Wonder what Kamberi and McLaren thought when sol was belting out.

11-03-2018, 03:49 PM
I thought it was a bit flatter than after previous derbies. I was wondering if that was due to the expectation of the win.

I think it might have been because we were that comfortable in the game. They never looked liked scoring and once we went one ahead they weren’t getting back into the game. If we had gone a goal down and got 2 late goals to win, SOL would have been even better.

HibeeHibernian4
13-03-2018, 10:57 AM
My only slight issue with SoL at the end of the game is that when it is being sung and the players are parading around the pitch, they want to hear it belting out with scarves aloft. So many would rather just applaud the players. Ask the players what they would rather have if you're not sure.

And that's the reason why I was very much okay with us not having a lap of honour for the Scottish Cup final. Sunshine on Leith was sung so perfectly because there was absolutely no applause to take away from the moment. Beautiful stuff, and I think not clapping during it is far more powerful.

SouthMoroccoStu
13-03-2018, 11:13 AM
I think it might have been because we were that comfortable in the game. They never looked liked scoring and once we went one ahead they weren’t getting back into the game. If we had gone a goal down and got 2 late goals to win, SOL would have been even better.

Well said.

Also the first derby for a while when we weren't urging the ref to blow the final whistle

Carheenlea
13-03-2018, 12:08 PM
Reserved for big occasions, and while Hearts fans might mock, the day we don’t feel a celebratory rendition of SOL after a derby is in order is when they really are in trouble.

mutley
13-03-2018, 12:22 PM
After a home derby win, SoL is perfect, even the yams that couldn’t get leave fast enough would have heard it, and they have NOTHING to compare with us singing SoL . After every home Derby win? No brainier for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CockneyRebel
13-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Don't give her ideas. She'll charge them royalties.

plus 6%

Sauzee16
13-03-2018, 12:38 PM
I hope we keep winning them and singing it.

My_Wife_Camille
13-03-2018, 01:01 PM
always thought it would sound excellent if they cut the music altogether once the crowd got going, even after the first verse. On the (very) rare occasion that the fans have managed to sing it at away games without the music its sounded really good and the best part about that Liverpool song that Celtic fans sing is the bit once the music stops too.

Something to think about Mr DJ!

Swedish hibee
13-03-2018, 01:08 PM
No from me.

Sauzee16
13-03-2018, 01:08 PM
always thought it would sound excellent if they cut the music altogether once the crowd got going, even after the first verse. On the (very) rare occasion that the fans have managed to sing it at away games without the music its sounded really good and the best part about that Liverpool song that Celtic fans sing is the bit once the music stops too.

Something to think about Mr DJ!

You would miss the instrumental though. The DJ does a class job these days imo too. Easter Road is a great place to be.

My_Wife_Camille
13-03-2018, 01:11 PM
You would miss the instrumental though. The DJ does a class job these days imo too. Easter Road is a great place to be.
Ah yes, the instrumental. The best part about a football song.

IMO the only thing that could make SOL better is not having the music blaring over the top of it, at least for the main verse

hughio
13-03-2018, 01:17 PM
It’s an anthem the envy of most other supporters, the Hearts hate that we own it so let’s use it as often as possible when we beat them GGTTH .

this:agree:

Sauzee16
13-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Ah yes, the instrumental. The best part about a football song.

IMO the only thing that could make SOL better is not having the music blaring over the top of it, at least for the main verse

😂😂 I like the instrumental and it adds to the emotion of the song at the time. Might just be me mind you.

lyonhibs
13-03-2018, 01:31 PM
Are folk seriously suggesting that SOL after beating Hearts is getting boring?

I was going to say, if we keep it just for wins against them and it's getting more frequent then that means we're humping them all the time and that sounds wonderful!!

I'd sing "Hey baby" by DJ Otzi if it indicated that we'd beaten that lot!!

Northernhibee
13-03-2018, 01:37 PM
I'd love us to sing the Arab Strap version or Its a Heartache too.

BSEJVT
13-03-2018, 04:02 PM

This 100%

They will start leaving earlier and earlier to avoid it and will be dreading hearing it.

I will never get sick of beating them and never get sick of hearing us sing SOL when we do.

I think the players love it when we do too.

IMO its deepened the bond between us and them

Northernhibee
13-03-2018, 04:14 PM
This 100%

They will start leaving earlier and earlier to avoid it and will be dreading hearing it.

I will never get sick of beating them and never get sick of hearing us sing SOL when we do.

I think the players love it when we do too.

IMO its deepened the bond between us and them

Weirdly after the rendition of SoL in the replay in our cup year I got a weird feeling that it was our year.

heretoday
13-03-2018, 04:36 PM
I'm a lonely guy. I don't really like the song though obviously I go with the emotions.
I'm On My Way. That's a good Proclaimers song. Upbeat.

BSEJVT
13-03-2018, 05:27 PM
Weirdly after the rendition of SoL in the replay in our cup year I got a weird feeling that it was our year.

Don't know if I could say that, but it certainly reinforced to me that there had been a material change in the fight in the team and that they had re-gained the trust and affection of the support.

I remember being absolutely buzzing after that night and watching the tv footage of that rendition again and again.

I still put it on from time to time now.

Other than AEK game it is still probably the loudest I have ever heard us as a support.

Only thing that comes close noise wise for me to those two was under the covered in bit at Hampden queuing to get into the turnstiles at the League Cup Final against Ross County.

We've got McGinn was absolutely banging under there.

Johnny Clash
14-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Don't know if I could say that, but it certainly reinforced to me that there had been a material change in the fight in the team and that they had re-gained the trust and affection of the support.

I remember being absolutely buzzing after that night and watching the tv footage of that rendition again and again.

I still put it on from time to time now.

Other than AEK game it is still probably the loudest I have ever heard us as a support.

Only thing that comes close noise wise for me to those two was under the covered in bit at Hampden queuing to get into the turnstiles at the League Cup Final against Ross County.

We've got McGinn was absolutely banging under there.

As I remember it - SOL wasn’t put on the video that was released after the AEK game coz the makers wanted to avoid paying royalties - which if true was a ridiculous decision.

However , footage must have been taken and it would be great to release that now. I have a feeling this was the first time it was sung at ER ?

Sauzee16
14-03-2018, 11:15 AM
As I remember it - SOL wasn’t out on the video that was released after the AEK game coz the makers wanted to avoid paying royalties - which if true was a ridiculous decision.

However , footage must have been taken and it would be great to release that now. I have a feeling this was the first time it was sung at ER ?

SOL at half time that game was incredible.

Monts
14-03-2018, 12:08 PM
SOL at half time that game was incredible.

Was it half time?

I thought it was between full time and extra time. I might be wrong though.

Electric night!

Sauzee16
14-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Was it half time?

Electric night!

Could have been both but was definitely on at Half Time.

bigwheel
14-03-2018, 03:59 PM
Was it half time?

Electric night!

The most rousing one was defo in between full time and extra time. That was hairs raised On neck territory

Steve-O
15-03-2018, 01:44 AM
As I remember it - SOL wasn’t put on the video that was released after the AEK game coz the makers wanted to avoid paying royalties - which if true was a ridiculous decision.

Have my doubts that was the first time it was ever sung at ER? Can't advance a suggestion for when it actually was though, so who knows.

I do remember a period, possibly in the Bobby Williamson era or maybe earlier, where we seemed to play SoL CONSTANTLY it felt like - before games, half time, after games. It got to a stage where I really didn't like it at one point. Glad it's used more sparingly now!

Great song but I wasn't really in the mood for hearing it when we were 1-0 down at half time to Kilmarnock or the likes.

As someone else has mentioned, I remember You'll Never Walk Alone being sung at ER, probably right up to the late 90s / early 2000s.