PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Hearts - 9th March 2018)

Jonnyboy
09-03-2018, 11:07 PM
There’s really only one way to start off this report and that is to say “Get it right up ye Levein.” Natural order my erky. Only one team turned up to play football tonight and it wasn’t Levein’s hammer throwers.

In the lead up to the game the media tried it’s best to draw a disparaging comment from Neil Lennon about his opposite number but our manager is far too intelligent to be fooled by that approach, unlike Levein who tried to explain his Natural Order comments and simply made it worse with his feeble attempts at passing it off as banter. I smiled to myself when I saw him standing in the visitors’ dugout, wearing what looked suspiciously like John McGlynn’s old jacket as the scoreboard displayed Hibernian 2 Hearts 0 and 90 minutes played. I’m sure that Jambos will lambast him for writing our pre match dressing room speech but to my way of thinking that would be placing too much emphasis on their manager’s influence when in fact it was our manager that got his selection and tactics spot on. Earlier, sitting in the car pre match I laughed my socks off when the BBC’s guest Alan Stubbs said if he were Neil Lennon his response to Levein’s insulting remarks would have been to say “OK Craig, let’s put our medals on the table” Nice one Stubbsy!

With the ground filling up nicely, both teams entered the field of play but suffered a delayed kick off when a couple of flares were thrown on to the pitch from the South Stand. Stupid behaviour but what struck me most was the delay in dealing with that as the stewards obviously had more faith in their searches stopping flares being brought in than I did.

Finally, the game got under way and for a Derby it was surprisingly open without either side really being able to take advantage of the space created. In fact the first twenty five minutes offered little of note, except Bobby Madden’s tolerance towards a number of pretty hefty challenges flying in. Lewis and Scotty Allan were both hacked down without the perpetrator of the challenge suffering any punishment but to be fair and to remove the green tinted specs for a moment both Smith and Adao suffered similar challenges with the Hibs men getting off scot free.

After the so called wonder kid Harry Cochrane limped off to be replaced by another so called wonder kid, Dylan McGeouch took control of the midfield and was masterful throughout, earning both my and the sponsors man of the match award. If money is the reason Dylan hasn’t signed a new deal I implore the Hibs management to work something out as allowing him to join a fellow top flight club would be sacrilege in my view.

Once or twice, Boyler had roasted the Hearts left back, earning a few stud marks for his trouble but the hapless Randall, together with a few of his team mates, was left floundering as Boyler set off on a mazy fifty yard run before finishing it off with a shot at goal. Sadly the effort didn’t trouble McLaughlin but it fair lifted the home crowd. On the subject of Randall, I’m informed he’s on loan from Liverpool. I don’t know if that’s accurate or not but the guy was so poor I thought maybe Hearts had borrowed one of Liverpool’s ball boys.

Another half chance created by Boyler came to nothing but at the other end a mix up or lack of communication between Rocky and Daz could have proved costly as the big defender jumped to head the ball and ducked at the last minute, leaving Rocky to try and palm the ball clear. Thankfully, no Hearts player was there to capitalise and the half ended goalless.

The restart was only minutes old when Smith went right through John McGinn and this time Bobby Madden took appropriate action in booking the Hearts man. Neither keeper had really been troubled but as the hour mark approached, excellent build up play down the Hibs left saw the ball go from Kamberi to Hanlon and then into the path of Scotty Allan near the edge of the box. Seeing the opportunity, Scotty struck a sweet left foot shot that barely left the grass as it headed into the bottom left hand corner of McLaughlin’s goal. That sparked euphoric scenes amongst the Hibs support and brought yet another flare onto the playing surface, this time thrown from the East Stand.

Not too long after, Maclaren turned Berra inside out and sent a vicious left foot shot goalwards only to see his effort brilliantly tipped on to the bar by McLaughlin. The Aussie was very unlucky as he’d done everything right but with ten minutes left he sported a huge grin as his dogged determination in the box saw him wrestle the ball clear from Jambo defenders before he struck a left foot shot into the back of the net. Bedlam ensued and unsurprisingly the tactical genius known as Craig Levein reacted by pushing central defender Christophe Berra into a forward position. Did it work? Nope, as the visitors went the entire ninety minutes without getting one single attempt on target.

To crown a glorious night the Since1875 folks unfurled a banner with white writing on a green background stating “Natural Order?” Aye right Craigy, yer back where ye belong, fighting to avoid finishing in the bottom six. By my reckoning that puts us twelve points clear with a game in hand while Hearts have Motherwell breathing down their necks for sixth place, four points behind but with two games in hand.

In his pre match press conference, Neil said his success or otherwise would not be defined by results against Hearts but rather where his side finished at the end of the season. Of course, he’s bang on but isn’t it just brilliant putting those maroon balloons to the sword!

The players

Rocky – a quiet night all told but he did pick up a booking in bizarre circumstances. Going behind his goal to retrieve the ball from Hearts fans he booted it back into the stand as it reached him. I’m left wondering whether that was a direct reaction to the no doubt vile abuse aimed at him from the visiting support.

Efe – was absolutely outstanding with not an Efe moment in sight. I just love the way he refuses to hoof the ball when a pass to a team mate is not on. Instead he strides forward with the ball at his feet until a pass can be picked.

Daz – dealt with the elbow flinging, backing in, fouling antics of Lafferty very well and the only blemish was that bizarre last minute ducking of the head that left Rocky momentarily exposed.

Paul – Fatherhood clearly suits him! I understand Eck McLeish was in the stand and if he looked at the displays of Berra, Souttar and Hanlon I know which one should have left the most positive impression.

Boyler – seemed to flit in and out of the game at times although in fairness to him he didn’t get as much ball as I’d have liked him to. Had Randall on toast and was unlucky when a fierce first half volley hit a defender when it looked very much on target.

Dylan – I thought Dylan was the best player on show and by a long way. At times he looks like he’s made of rubber as he encounters a crowd of opponents and still manages to come out with the ball at his feet. Hope you were taking notes, McLeish.

Scotty – heavily marked in every sense of the word by first Cochrane and then Adao but always showed for the ball and always tried to be creative. His goal was probably better than most thought at first because he saw the chance in an instant and put the ball where the keeper had no chance of reaching it.

SJM – another who suffered a few hefty dunts but it didn’t stop him getting in there and mixing it. Had a wee spell in the second half when he looked fatigued but got his second wind, finishing the game very strongly. His interaction with the Hibs fans in the South end of the West Lower showed just how much shoving it in Levein’s face meant to him.

Lewis – was very good again tonight, one particular pass to Allan in the first half being worthy of remembering. Despite being booted a few times by the Hearts right back he just got up and got on with it.

Flo – lots didn’t come off for him tonight but I felt he was unlucky on a good few occasions. Works very hard and always tries to bring others into play. Unsurprisingly, he’ll go home tonight with excellent impressions of Berra and Souttar’s studs on his legs.

Jamie – this laddie works like a Trojan, makes very good runs both on and off the ball and hopefully went some way towards showing those fans that haven’t been 100% convinced that he has what it takes to stay in the side. Sheer determination and no little skill got him one goal and very nearly a second.

Marv – brought on to shield the defence from the onslaught as Hearts tried to hunt down an equaliser, he did what he does very well and denied Hearts players the time or space to have a crack at goal. I noticed at the final whistle that Marv was facing the South Stand and obviously having his say towards the dwindling number of Jambos. Just as in the case with Rocky, I suspect he was reacting to vile abuse.

Whitty – only got a few minutes but helped keep things tight at the back as Hibs saw the game out.

Danny – got even fewer minutes than Whitty but made a positive contribution when he cupped his ears and waved to the departing Hearts fans.

Neil – stayed above all the immaturity of the Hearts manager whilst getting his team selection and tactics spot on.

Bobby Madden – I’m on record as saying he’s the best of a bad bunch and despite his lack of action as Hibs player after Hibs player was fouled I’m staying of that view. As I said earlier, he let a few hefty Hibs challenges go as well. To his credit he tries to let the game flow and I’d take that anytime over a whistle happy Willie Collum or Kevin Clancy.

The fans – I think I heard the announcer say 20,166 which would not go down well with the Hearts fans as they’re the big team dontcha know. Those poor souls in the South Stand trying to figure out why our real two tier stand doesn’t look anything like their supposed two tier stand!

hibby6270
09-03-2018, 11:20 PM
Spot on once again.
Some have slightly different opinions to what you say but there’s no argument this time - surely!!

Jonnyboy
09-03-2018, 11:22 PM
Spot on once again.
Some have slightly different opinions to what you say but there’s no argument this time - surely!!

:aok:

Just noticed I've got the date wrong in the thread title. D'oh. I blame the excitement of gubbing that lot :greengrin

Could a passing Admin please amend it to 09032018 - ta

hibee_girl
09-03-2018, 11:23 PM
:aok:

Just noticed I've got the date wrong in the thread title. D'oh. I blame the excitement of gubbing that lot :greengrin

Could a passing Admin please amend it to 09032018 - ta

:wink:

Great report JB, love reading them :top marks

Jonnyboy
09-03-2018, 11:27 PM
:wink:

Great report JB, love reading them :top marks

Thanks, K :aok:

johnbc70
09-03-2018, 11:30 PM
When Harry 'wonderboy' Cochrane went down injured the boy next to me shouts 'gie him some calpol and he will be fine' 😂

hibsbollah
09-03-2018, 11:33 PM
MOTM?

Im going for McGinn. But theres plenty of candidates.

Mantis Toboggan
09-03-2018, 11:35 PM
MOTM?

Mcgeouch edge it for me but both were tremendous in their roles tonight

esjorto
09-03-2018, 11:44 PM
Great report!!!!

cammy1969
10-03-2018, 12:17 AM
No sure if this is the rite freed to say,

But after watching the game I’d be very afraid if I was a hearts fan as there was not a chance potter set up win that game if a hibs manager ever put all there hopes on a 16 years old I’d demand him sacked straight away, terrible management, only players for them that can walk off having played half decent was Berra and Souter with out then would been cricket score good plYer to be fair.

For years they have bullied us in games we should’ve won, well tonight our midfield bullied them with football not how they would try we passed them out the game they lost heart Sjm sa and dmc made fools of them and show u can bully without being dirty and sinical.

For me 1of in not the best 90mins I’ve seen hibs play against them totally dominated them for whole game.

And what about Lennon, a total genuise sat back and let potter do his team talk for him out classed them in every aspect of game had Celtic fans in pub want him back instead of Rodgers.

Sorry for ranting on GGTTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brightside
10-03-2018, 12:18 AM
MOTM Dylan and Paul.

cammy1969
10-03-2018, 12:45 AM
MOTM Dylan and Paul.

Couldn’t disagree with any player that a fan nominated but for me Dylan done it for 90 mins.

Sjm for a hour was unplayable till me ran out os steam and that’s not a criticism his work rate was emence 1st half Boyle brilliant.
Back 3 strolled game front 2 worked them all game.

Best 90 mins I’ve seen us play against them since I can’t remember.

Team football is what it’s about and that’s what we do team team team a joy to watch.

Think I’ve missed LS in team praise solid once again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bam
10-03-2018, 12:46 AM
The fans – I think I heard the announcer say 20,166 which would not go down well with the Hearts fans as they’re the big team dontcha know. Those poor souls in the South Stand trying to figure out why our real two tier stand doesn’t look anything like their supposed two tier stand!

More than the entire capacity of the PBS

:lolyam:

NAE NOOKIE
10-03-2018, 02:28 AM
It was a difficult first half with Hibs taking a bit of time to get to grips with being fouled every 30 seconds, but apart from a few balls into our box and Daz inexplicably ducking out of the way of the ball at the last second putting Rocky in all sorts of bother we didn't look like losing a goal. SJM's shot over the bar was far closer on TV than it appeared from the FF and if Boyler had a left foot he might have scored after his mazy run.

We were much better in the 2nd half apart from a period after the first goal when we seemed to drop too far back allowing them into the game. All in all a deserved win which leaves the Yams clutching at the old 5 - 1 comfort blanket for dear life and digging up the rancid corpse of their overall derby record like some latter day Burke & Hare :greengrin

Rocky ..... 6 ...... In all honesty he didn't have much to do apart from a couple of times where he had to come out to the ball, which he did well .. kicking was a bit off. Its only a 6 because he had so little to do.

Ambrose .... 8 ..... Strolled through the game and only had one Efe moment where he beat three players in a mazy run down the wing and then passed the ball straight to a Hearts player setting up an attack for them.

McGregor ... 7 ... Had a tough shift against Naismith and Laugherty and didn't always come out on top, but more than held his own overall.

Hanlon .... 8 .... I'm struggling to think of anything he got wrong and even gets an assist for Allan's goal.

Stevenson ... 8 .... Solid as a rock all night and as effective going forward as he has been all season.

McGeouch .... 9 .... At times the guy is like a magician emerging with the ball from seemingly impossible situations ... bossed it all night.

McGinn ..... 8 .... Some wayward passing in the first half and his dead ball delivery has to improve ... but far far better in the 2nd half and a real handful for the Yams midfield and defence.

Allan .... 7 ..... I thought he was largely anonymous for large chunks of the game, possibly because we just couldn't get him on the ball ... but what a sublime finish for his goal.

Boyle .... 7 .... Did a lot that was good but drifted in and out of the game a bit ..... what a player he would be if he had the confidence to shoot with his left foot.

Kamberi .... 7 ..... Worked his socks off and put in a great shift against the worlds two best centre backs.

McLaren .... 7 ... Found it tough to find space at times, but like Kamberi worked hard and proved you don't actually need space if you can muscle 3 defenders off the ball and still get a shot away, great goal son and only denied an absolute cracker by a great save.

SUBS:

Bartley .... 6 ..... Came on to shore things up at 2 - 0 but in all honesty didn't have to do much.
Whittaker .... 4 ..... For coming on.
Swanson .... 4 .... For coming on.

Neil Lennon ..... Won the tactical battle, won the psychological battle, has more medals than Levin, is better looking than Levin, has more money than Levin and is probably still laughing :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
10-03-2018, 06:02 AM
Great report, Jonny.

A few great performers but for me, Dylan McGeouch was on a different level. He could find space in a single bed with Gemma Collins.

greenlex
10-03-2018, 06:04 AM
Good stuff John. The only thing I’d change was the way you wrote that Dylan took control after Zico Chocranes departure. I’m sure that’s not what you meant and but how it reads. Itpivking I know.😬 Dylan was in control all game.

number9dream
10-03-2018, 08:20 AM
Took a wee while to get going but Hibs were always on top, with Dylan and SJM running the show. Would like to have seen Hertz’ dreadful full-backs put under more pressure but certainly won’t grumble with a comfortable, one-sided victory.

Bostonhibby
10-03-2018, 08:27 AM
Brilliant read JB. Thanks.

Had to be out last night so got all my info from here. Scene now set for watching it in 5 minutes time and hoping yet another win over the thieves will improve the hangover.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Hibrandenburg
10-03-2018, 08:33 AM
Thanks John. I did get to watch the game last night but that still doesn't take any joy out of reading your post.

Coco Bryce
10-03-2018, 08:34 AM
Fantastic John. Still buzzing.

gordonced18
10-03-2018, 09:14 AM
I thought Boyle looked like he was carrying an injury..... imagine what he would have done to them if he'd been fully fit!!

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

southsider
10-03-2018, 09:18 AM
MOTM?

Dylan followed by Daz. Effe could have played in carpet slippers.
They are hopeless and 3k a week for rubberheid. Thank Lenny we never went near him.

Bostonhibby
10-03-2018, 09:19 AM
Adao. The archetypal Hearts player. Brutal niggling thug no skill no pace. Hope they keep him.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Eaststand
10-03-2018, 09:27 AM
Excellent match report post as usual JB

In my opinion, there were several candidates for MoM, including SJM, Effe, Dazza, Wee Lewis, and Paul Hanlon to name a few, but Dylan was absolutely immense so deserved it fully.

GGTTH

Robinho08
10-03-2018, 09:37 AM
Great report Johnny. 🇳🇬

Jonnyboy
10-03-2018, 12:26 PM
Good stuff John. The only thing I’d change was the way you wrote that Dylan took control after Zico Chocranes departure. I’m sure that’s not what you meant and but how it reads. Itpivking I know.😬 Dylan was in control all game.

Cheers, A. As you say that’s not what I meant but typing whilst euphoric is a skill I’ve yet to master 😂

jonty
10-03-2018, 12:38 PM
An excellent read, as always, JC :thumbsup:

NZ Green
10-03-2018, 02:29 PM
Always look forward to reading these, very well written as always.

Radium
10-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Good read as always. Waiting for your thoughts reminds me of queuing up for the Pink on a Saturday night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenlex
10-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Cheers, A. As you say that’s not what I meant but typing whilst euphoric is a skill I’ve yet to master 😂
:agree:

Jonnyboy
10-03-2018, 10:06 PM
Good read as always. Waiting for your thoughts reminds me of queuing up for the Pink on a Saturday night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your kind words, Radium :aok:

Hi Heid Yin
11-03-2018, 12:28 AM
There’s really only one way to start off this report and that is to say “Get it right up ye Levein.” Natural order my erky. Only one team turned up to play football tonight and it wasn’t Levein’s hammer throwers.

In the lead up to the game the media tried it’s best to draw a disparaging comment from Neil Lennon about his opposite number but our manager is far too intelligent to be fooled by that approach, unlike Levein who tried to explain his Natural Order comments and simply made it worse with his feeble attempts at passing it off as banter. I smiled to myself when I saw him standing in the visitors’ dugout, wearing what looked suspiciously like John McGlynn’s old jacket as the scoreboard displayed Hibernian 2 Hearts 0 and 90 minutes played. I’m sure that Jambos will lambast him for writing our pre match dressing room speech but to my way of thinking that would be placing too much emphasis on their manager’s influence when in fact it was our manager that got his selection and tactics spot on. Earlier, sitting in the car pre match I laughed my socks off when the BBC’s guest Alan Stubbs said if he were Neil Lennon his response to Levein’s insulting remarks would have been to say “OK Craig, let’s put our medals on the table” Nice one Stubbsy!

With the ground filling up nicely, both teams entered the field of play but suffered a delayed kick off when a couple of flares were thrown on to the pitch from the South Stand. Stupid behaviour but what struck me most was the delay in dealing with that as the stewards obviously had more faith in their searches stopping flares being brought in than I did.

Finally, the game got under way and for a Derby it was surprisingly open without either side really being able to take advantage of the space created. In fact the first twenty five minutes offered little of note, except Bobby Madden’s tolerance towards a number of pretty hefty challenges flying in. Lewis and Scotty Allan were both hacked down without the perpetrator of the challenge suffering any punishment but to be fair and to remove the green tinted specs for a moment both Smith and Adao suffered similar challenges with the Hibs men getting off scot free.

After the so called wonder kid Harry Cochrane limped off to be replaced by another so called wonder kid, Dylan McGeouch took control of the midfield and was masterful throughout, earning both my and the sponsors man of the match award. If money is the reason Dylan hasn’t signed a new deal I implore the Hibs management to work something out as allowing him to join a fellow top flight club would be sacrilege in my view.

Once or twice, Boyler had roasted the Hearts left back, earning a few stud marks for his trouble but the hapless Randall, together with a few of his team mates, was left floundering as Boyler set off on a mazy fifty yard run before finishing it off with a shot at goal. Sadly the effort didn’t trouble McLaughlin but it fair lifted the home crowd. On the subject of Randall, I’m informed he’s on loan from Liverpool. I don’t know if that’s accurate or not but the guy was so poor I thought maybe Hearts had borrowed one of Liverpool’s ball boys.

Another half chance created by Boyler came to nothing but at the other end a mix up or lack of communication between Rocky and Daz could have proved costly as the big defender jumped to head the ball and ducked at the last minute, leaving Rocky to try and palm the ball clear. Thankfully, no Hearts player was there to capitalise and the half ended goalless.

The restart was only minutes old when Smith went right through John McGinn and this time Bobby Madden took appropriate action in booking the Hearts man. Neither keeper had really been troubled but as the hour mark approached, excellent build up play down the Hibs left saw the ball go from Kamberi to Hanlon and then into the path of Scotty Allan near the edge of the box. Seeing the opportunity, Scotty struck a sweet left foot shot that barely left the grass as it headed into the bottom left hand corner of McLaughlin’s goal. That sparked euphoric scenes amongst the Hibs support and brought yet another flare onto the playing surface, this time thrown from the East Stand.

Not too long after, Maclaren turned Berra inside out and sent a vicious left foot shot goalwards only to see his effort brilliantly tipped on to the bar by McLaughlin. The Aussie was very unlucky as he’d done everything right but with ten minutes left he sported a huge grin as his dogged determination in the box saw him wrestle the ball clear from Jambo defenders before he struck a left foot shot into the back of the net. Bedlam ensued and unsurprisingly the tactical genius known as Craig Levein reacted by pushing central defender Christophe Berra into a forward position. Did it work? Nope, as the visitors went the entire ninety minutes without getting one single attempt on target.

To crown a glorious night the Since1875 folks unfurled a banner with white writing on a green background stating “Natural Order?” Aye right Craigy, yer back where ye belong, fighting to avoid finishing in the bottom six. By my reckoning that puts us twelve points clear with a game in hand while Hearts have Motherwell breathing down their necks for sixth place, four points behind but with two games in hand.

In his pre match press conference, Neil said his success or otherwise would not be defined by results against Hearts but rather where his side finished at the end of the season. Of course, he’s bang on but isn’t it just brilliant putting those maroon balloons to the sword!

Bobby Madden – I’m on record as saying he’s the best of a bad bunch and despite his lack of action as Hibs player after Hibs player was fouled I’m staying of that view. As I said earlier, he let a few hefty Hibs challenges go as well. To his credit he tries to let the game flow and I’d take that anytime over a whistle happy Willie Collum or Kevin Clancy.

I sense that you enjoyed writing that Johnyboy:wink:
Great analysis and read.
Thank you.

Jonnyboy
12-03-2018, 08:11 AM
I sense that you enjoyed writing that Johnyboy:wink:
Great analysis and read.
Thank you.

I did indeed enjoy it 😄