PDA

View Full Version : Hibs, Hearts and Edinburgh Geography

Colr
09-03-2018, 06:38 AM
Unlike Glasgow were religion is the main distinction between the teams, Edinburgh is supposed to divide more east or west.

That follows to an extent my parents are from the east of the city but my mum’s family moved to the west so my uncle is a Jambo.

However, I grew up in Currie and Balerno and felt the support was pretty much split 50/50.

Are there areas which are still most;y one team or the other? What about the south and north historically?

spikey66
09-03-2018, 07:04 AM
I was born/bred in Gilmerton late 60's/70's and the whole area was mostly Hibs when I grew up (Turnbulls Ttornados).

alnewhaven
09-03-2018, 07:04 AM
Grew up in the Newington/Southside area and it was mainly Hibs. That was the 60s/70s though when Hibs were the better side (0-7) etc

IGRIGI
09-03-2018, 07:09 AM
I would'd loved to have known where these 50/50 areas are in Currie and Balerno, I went to Balerno and for 7 years I was pretty much the only Hibs fan there.

TelaStella
09-03-2018, 07:25 AM
I'm Niddrie/Craigmillar and it's a total hibs zone. You'll find more jambs in leith!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
09-03-2018, 07:26 AM
I would'd loved to have known where these 50/50 areas are in Currie and Balerno, I went to Balerno and for 7 years I was pretty much the only Hibs fan there.

in the early to mid 70s you could not find a Hearts can anywhere. Hibs played the swashbuckling football and teenagers were drawn to ER. You could seem them against the best in Europe or challenging Stein's Celtic. That effect waned as the team waned. Mercer started the over spending and attracted better players of course. Hearts built up their support in the West of the city again and from other areas to. Sauzee /Latapy, the Golden generation and now Stubbs/Lennon have put that into reverse along with Hearts financial situation. Long may it continue.

dalkeith stu
09-03-2018, 07:41 AM
Danderhall was full of Hearts and Huns. Probably only reason I'm not a hun too is my dad moved out from Leith. Thank you!!!!

Since90+2
09-03-2018, 07:49 AM

My wife's family are from Balerno and I've heard from them it's full of Jambos. My father in law is pretty much the only hibs fan in his local.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-03-2018, 07:51 AM
Unlike Glasgow were religion is the main distinction between the teams, Edinburgh is supposed to divide more east or west.

That follows to an extent my parents are from the east of the city but my mum’s family moved to the west so my uncle is a Jambo.

However, I grew up in Currie and Balerno and felt the support was pretty much split 50/50.

Are there areas which are still most;y one team or the other? What about the south and north historically?

Not religious certainly, bit you can probably follow the main movements of people out of the southside / cowgate to track more traditional hibs areas.

For example, i would guess gilmerton, craigmillar and niddrie habe more hibs than hearts (certainly traditionally) due to families being moved there when the southside slums were cleared.

Obviously leith is a bit different, but again you could probably track leith families being moved to granton and muirhouse etc?

Id imagine the same is true of hearts, familues moving out of gorgie and dalry to wester hailes, saughton etc, and of course as the team of the establishment middle classes, the leafier suburbs full of the chirxh of scotland, rover driving lawyers who went to the right schools will be more hearts than hibs.

Also, my perception is that the wee tcheucter towns of East, West and Midlothian are more hearts, as families dont move out of these places, they just marry each other...😉

Ringothedog
09-03-2018, 07:52 AM
I was brought up in the Priestfield/Prestonfield area during the late 60’s early 70’s and it was predominantly Hibs

SirDavidsNapper
09-03-2018, 07:56 AM

My dad grew up in North Berwick. He and most of his friends were Hibs

Peevemor
09-03-2018, 07:58 AM
I was brought up in Kingsknowe/Longstone. Although there were a good few Hibees, we were largely outnumbered by merricks.

LancsHibs
09-03-2018, 08:05 AM
Danderhall was full of Hearts and Huns. Probably only reason I'm not a hun too is my dad moved out from Leith. Thank you!!!!

Surprised by this as it’s so close to Niddrie & Gilmerton. Any reason for this anomaly?

yonder1875
09-03-2018, 08:05 AM
Brought up in Danderhall and I'd probably say there's more Hearts than Hibs but I went to school in Dalkeith and I'd say there was comfortably more Hibs fans over there.

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2018, 08:08 AM

I'm a member of Currie Bowls club and it's 90% Jambos.

green day
09-03-2018, 08:11 AM
I was born/bred in Gilmerton late 60's/70's and the whole area was mostly Hibs when I grew up (Turnbulls Ttornados).

I was a kid there in the 80s, was Jambo central. Wierd, eh?

Hibee87
09-03-2018, 08:13 AM
I was brought up in Kingsknowe/Longstone. Although there were a good few Hibees, we were largely outnumbered by merricks.

My old man is from Longstone and came from a Hearts family. I believe he was forced to watch hearts every other week but his pal from primary school was a big hibby so started tagging along with him and his dad to E.R. Its the single best decision he made in life to commit to Hibs and saved me from becoming one of them.
The thought that I COULD have been brings me out in a stress related rash.

lyonhibs
09-03-2018, 08:14 AM
I grew up just off London Road and unsurprisingly it was mainly a Hibs area - certainly Parsons Green Primary was!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-03-2018, 08:15 AM
I was a kid there in the 80s, was Jambo central. Wierd, eh?

I think as an area, its predominantly hibs and also a lot of Celtic fans (think the Waverley runs two celtic busses).

AltheHibby
09-03-2018, 08:16 AM
I'm Niddrie/Craigmillar and it's a total hibs zone. You'll find more jambs in leith!

Is the Craigmillar Hearts still there? Nominally a Jambos club in my youth it was really just a local social club, and a good one at that.

Lendo
09-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Grew up and went to school in Currie. Vast majority were Jambos (some Huns)

Baldy Foghorn
09-03-2018, 08:21 AM
Grew up in Sighthill and still there, plenty of us hibbies up here

yonder1875
09-03-2018, 08:27 AM
Surprised by this as it’s so close to Niddrie & Gilmerton. Any reason for this anomaly?

It's not full of Hearts fans, I just think there's more here than there are in other pets of Edinburgh. They've got a supporters bus that leaves from the pub in Danderhall.

Hibrandenburg
09-03-2018, 08:30 AM
Grew up in Sighthill and still there, plenty of us hibbies up here

I spent a while at the Calders and in the mob we hung around with there were 6 or 7 Hibbies and 2 Jambos. Otherwise it was pretty evenly spread late 70's. Wester Hailes on the other hand was a nest of Yams.

Jones28
09-03-2018, 08:52 AM
I grew up in Newhaven and at Victoria primary it was about 70:30 Hibs fans but when my grandad was growing up there he said it was all Hearts and the Hibs fans were more along in Leith proper.

Bill Milne
09-03-2018, 08:52 AM
I was sent to Porty High from Craigmillar Primary in 1967 and the place was jumping with Jambos, the exceptions being guys from Magdalene and Bingham. In 1969, we moved to Clermiston and, again, it was mainly Jambos. My dad did his research, however, and sent me to Ainslie Park, where a Jambo was a rare thing indeed!! In terms of Clery, incidentally, there are many more Hibbies there now and the place seems a lot more sane now.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2018, 08:56 AM
I was sent to Porty High from Craigmillar Primary in 1967 and the place was jumping with Jambos, the exceptions being guys from Magdalene and Bingham. In 1969, we moved to Clermiston and, again, it was mainly Jambos. My dad did his research, however, and sent me to Ainslie Park, where a Jambo was a rare thing indeed!! In terms of Clery, incidentally, there are many more Hibbies there now and the place seems a lot more sane now.

Pretty much how I remember it five years later, Magdalene had a few Jambos but they were outnumbered alright. You are spot on about Ainslie Park according to my Missus who went there and is a Hibby.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2018, 08:58 AM

My uncle has lived in Balerno for decades but he's a Hibby, you can take the boy out of Lochend but.....................

I do agree re the bias around there though. Few huns as well.

hibbyfraelibby
09-03-2018, 09:00 AM

The lodge was strong in former mining areas

MrSmith
09-03-2018, 09:00 AM

Gracemount for me (born 67) more 60-40 split in favour of Hearts but always felt the surrounding schemes overall, were slightly more hearts. Remember Dead on Arrival at the Gordon’s? :aok::aok:

Alfiembra
09-03-2018, 09:01 AM
I grew up just off London Road and unsurprisingly it was mainly a Hibs area - certainly Parsons Green Primary was!

Think it could swing with generations I went to Parsons Green mid to late 60's and at that time it was probably 70/30 in the Jambos favour, most of my mates at school were Jambos but living down Jock's Lodge way just seemed natural to follow the Hibees.

Sammy7nil
09-03-2018, 09:02 AM
Portobello Hibs were the team, there was more Old Firm fans than Jambo's

Bostonhibby
09-03-2018, 09:11 AM
Think it could swing with generations I went to Parsons Green mid to late 60's and at that time it was probably 70/30 in the Jambos favour, most of my mates at school were Jambos but living down Jock's Lodge way just seemed natural to follow the Hibees.

Spent a fair bit of time in Piershill. A lot of Hibbies in that area, had one mate who was a hun but he was from Belfast originally.

spikey66
09-03-2018, 09:12 AM
Gracemount for me (born 67) more 60-40 split in favour of Hearts but always felt the surrounding schemes overall, were slightly more hearts. Remember Dead on Arrival at the Gordon’s? :aok::aok:

Yeah I remember Dead on Arrival in the Gordon's LOL. Pub was once called the Gay Gordons ha

Hiber-nation
09-03-2018, 09:21 AM
Grew up and went to school in Currie. Vast majority were Jambos (some Huns)

Me too and I agree 100%!

Auckland Hibs
09-03-2018, 09:24 AM
Moved around the city loads when growing up & during my Uni days - my experiences:

Parkhead / Broomhouse / Murrayburn = mainly Jumbos.

Prestonfield / Newington = mainly Hibs.

Dalry / Orwell = mainly Jumbos.

The Inch / Gilmerton / Liberton = probably 50/50.

Piershill / Jocks Lodge = mainly Hibs.

Pilrig / Leith = mainly Hibs.

TonyStokeprano
09-03-2018, 09:35 AM
I spent a while at the Calders and in the mob we hung around with there were 6 or 7 Hibbies and 2 Jambos. Otherwise it was pretty evenly spread late 70's. Wester Hailes on the other hand was a nest of Yams.

Probably about 60/40 split in favour of the yams now in wester hailes. plenty good hibees up here now !!

Billy Whizz
09-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Great thread. I’m not from Edinburgh, only arrived in the late 70’s, so finding it interesting where the original Hibs supporting areas were. I just thought it was family passing onto family

KWJ
09-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Went to Balerno High and I'd say it was about 60% Hertz, %25 Hibs, %10 Rangers 5% Celtic. Or so.

Lived in Sighthill and had no bother wearing my Hibs top about as a kid and even in Crofters. Wouldn't do that now though - partly because it's now a Beijing Banquet.

PiemanP
09-03-2018, 09:37 AM
My dad grew up in North Berwick. He and most of his friends were Hibs

Plenty of Hibees in North Berwick - more than Hearts I'd say. Always seems like there's more Hibees from Port Seaton, Prestonpans etc but that just may be a bit of availability bias as you tend to notice your own more than the other lot.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Plenty of Hibees in North Berwick - more than Hearts I'd say. Always seems like there's more Hibees from Port Seaton, Prestonpans etc but that just may be a bit of availability bias as you tend to notice your own more than the other lot.Good amount in longniddry as well.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

MrSmith
09-03-2018, 09:45 AM
Yeah I remember Dead on Arrival in the Gordon's LOL. Pub was once called the Gay Gordons ha
It was aye :) my band used to practice there in the early 80s.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Not many Jambos in my year at Drummond between 1983-88.

spikey66
09-03-2018, 09:50 AM
It was aye :) my band used to practice there in the early 80s.

DOA were a good band. My primary was Hyvots Bank. Loved that school. All my family/friends were Hibbys. Dad was born and bread Leith then got a house in Gilmerton. Most of my street was Hibs.

HIBEES 4 LIFE
09-03-2018, 09:54 AM
I'm a member of Currie Bowls club and it's 90% Jambos.

Its at least 90% Jambo's, some really deranged ones in CBC too. Growing up and going to School in Currie it was probably 90% Jambo's too. Thankfully my family originate from Leith and Musselburgh respectfully

MrSmith
09-03-2018, 09:57 AM
DOA were a good band. My primary was Hyvots Bank. Loved that school. All my family/friends were Hibbys. Dad was born and bread Leith then got a house in Gilmerton. Most of my street was Hibs.

My mates dad was the Janny at Hyvots, Mr Taylor. The drummer in the band Dougie, went to Hyvots but was moved to loanhead or lasswade when the sinkhole appeared.

DOA were brilliant and should have made it. What a voice the vocalist had. I had their single but it seemed to disappear one day but would love to get another copy.

calumhibee1
09-03-2018, 10:01 AM
Went to Broughton and it was probably about 50/50. Live in Stockbridge and would say it’s marginally more Hibs than Hearts.

Deek9
09-03-2018, 10:02 AM
My old man is from Longstone and came from a Hearts family. I believe he was forced to watch hearts every other week but his pal from primary school was a big hibby so started tagging along with him and his dad to E.R. Its the single best decision he made in life to commit to Hibs and saved me from becoming one of them.
The thought that I COULD have been brings me out in a stress related rash.
I grew up in Longstone and we Hibees were outnumbered by the Jambos. Mind you, this was Tornadoes era and always seemed to beat them! As far as I recall there's always been a Longstone Hearts club. Used to be opposite Sainsburys but turned into flats and now it's the dump across the road from Gino's chippy.

RoslinInstHibby
09-03-2018, 10:04 AM
stay in Penicuik its full of jambos....although in saying that my neighbours either side of me are both fellow hibees:flag:

SouthMoroccoStu
09-03-2018, 10:08 AM
I always consider hearts territory to start at The West End and Lothian Road

The Grassmarket and Cowgate being most certainly Hibs land

Portobello and Musselburgh are difficult to categorise

I went to porty high and the majority of my year seemed to be Hibs fans but the intake years would differ

More than enough rangers fans

Always thought of Musselburgh being mostly hibs

KWJ
09-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Moved around the city loads when growing up & during my Uni days - my experiences:

Parkhead / Broomhouse / Murrayburn = mainly Jumbos.

Prestonfield / Newington = mainly Hibs.

Dalry / Orwell = mainly Jumbos.

The Inch / Gilmerton / Liberton = probably 50/50.

Piershill / Jocks Lodge = mainly Hibs.

Pilrig / Leith = mainly Hibs.

My recollection of Auckland was

Takapuna - Hearts.

Mt. Eden - Hibs.

Parnell - Hibs

CBD - Hibs.

Were you at Foxes when we watched the 2013 final? Decent wee crowd of us :)

Robinho08
09-03-2018, 10:24 AM
From Portobello, seems there was a 50/50 split.

fiolex1
09-03-2018, 10:32 AM
Was brought up in Gorebridge , roughly a 4 way split of Hibs,Hearts,Rangers & Celtic. Live in Loanhead now some Hibs boys but full of Jambos

Forza Fred
09-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Grew up in Craigentinny and always thought it was slightly more Hibs territory than Hearts.....but that could be partly due to the fact that I didn’t associate much with Jam Tarts supporters as they were then called.

Greenbeard
09-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Bananie flats defo a Jambo-free zone late 60s before I moved to Sheep country. Presume still?

CorrieHibs
09-03-2018, 10:42 AM
I'm from Corstorphine and it's a Jambo stronghold. Luckily my family were originally from the Leith area and all supported hibs.

gorgie greens
09-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Grew up in saughton mains and maybe 60/40 in favour of the yams, but my high school at Tynecastle
was a tad different where maybe 10% hibs fans but we made sure they knew who we were when we won.

givescotlandfreedom
09-03-2018, 10:52 AM
Grew up in Buckstone and Hearts were the more supported team. My parents had decided my brother and me weren't going to be football fans and that was that until the Jambo next door offered to take us to Tynecastle. Just renenewed my season ticket at ER for the 25th year in a row, thanks Jambo neighbour.

MSK
09-03-2018, 10:52 AM
Pretty much how I remember it five years later, Magdalene had a few Jambos but they were outnumbered alright. You are spot on about Ainslie Park according to my Missus who went there and is a Hibby.Magdalene still a hibbie stronghold, with the occasional 6 fingered banjo plucking cardigan wearing jambo straggler wandering about lost

Gmack7
09-03-2018, 10:54 AM
I'm from Corstorphine and it's a Jambo stronghold. Luckily my family were originally from the Leith area and all supported hibs.

just move up to Clermiston it's all hibees

Bostonhibby
09-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Magdalene still a hibbie stronghold, with the occasional 6 fingered banjo plucking cardigan wearing jambo straggler wandering about lostStill know a few from primary school days but definitely the minority in my life

Drumlanrig
09-03-2018, 10:57 AM
From Dunbar and lots of Hibbies. There used to be lots of Yams but I think many now hide under rocks or in their sisters beds after May 2016!

Benji1
09-03-2018, 10:58 AM
Fair amount of hibbys in Musselburgh . In ma laddies fitbaw team of around 30 lads there’s 3 hearts fans the rest are Hibs. Few of the boys Dads are jambos but their boys know the score 🇳🇬 Honestly think winning the cup has had a massive impact on the young ones.

CorrieHibs
09-03-2018, 11:00 AM
just move up to Clermiston it's all hibees

Really?! I went to Craigmount high school and there was only half dozen hibs fans in my year. There was more Huns.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Fair amount of hibbys in Musselburgh . In ma laddies fitbaw team of around 30 lads there’s 3 hearts fans the rest are Hibs. Few of the boys Dads are jambos but their boys know the score [emoji1184] Honestly think winning the cup has had a massive impact on the young ones.Agree with that. My mate lives in Musselburgh. Always was a Hibs stronghold but even more so now. Generally we seem to be appealing to a lot more of the younger generation which can only be good

The Harp Awakes
09-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Fair amount of hibbys in Musselburgh . In ma laddies fitbaw team of around 30 lads there’s 3 hearts fans the rest are Hibs. Few of the boys Dads are jambos but their boys know the score 🇳🇬 Honestly think winning the cup has had a massive impact on the young ones.

Pretty much agree with you about Musselburgh being a majority Hibs town. It wasn't always like that though. When I moved down here in the 80s there was much less Hibs fans.

Daydreamer
09-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Yeh, Musselburgh mostly Hibs and if there are any Yams here there usually incomers or they've got six fingers

dalkeith stu
09-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Brought up in Danderhall and I'd probably say there's more Hearts than Hibs but I went to school in Dalkeith and I'd say there was comfortably more Hibs fans over there.

Surprised at this. Only a handful of us at DHS. Probably a different story at st davids even though they wore maroon.

yonder1875
09-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Surprised at this. Only a handful of us at DHS. Probably a different story at st davids even though they wore maroon.

In my year and in my school football team over half we're Hibs and the rest were a mix between the rest with the odd "I don't support a Scottish team as it's *****" person.

Can remember in early high school a few guys started supporting us because we all did and they were never brought up to support anyone's

My_Wife_Camille
09-03-2018, 11:37 AM
Really?! I went to Craigmount high school and there was only half dozen hibs fans in my year. There was more Huns.
Same here. Could probably count the number of Hibs and Celtic fans I knew in the whole school on two hands. Absolutely riddled with Hearts and Huns

Hillsidehibby
09-03-2018, 12:09 PM
I heard that Clermiston was originally Leith overspill. This may be the reason it is a hibby stronghold in the west of the town.
I went to Porty High and my year was predominantly jambos

JIm
09-03-2018, 12:14 PM
Grew up out in East Lothian (Pencaitland) and it was a good mix of Hibs, Hearts, Arse Cheek 1 and Arse Cheek 2 supporters as well as a number of Aberdeen which always makes for an enjoyable game whenever we play them.

Working out in Broxburn now which is a Hearts/Rangers stronghold but I see more and more kids kicking about in Hibs strips than ever before. The cup win has done wonders for the young team coming through and the persevered tour will have had a bigger impact than I think people ever realised.

The futures bright, the futures green and white :flag:

CorrieHibs
09-03-2018, 12:15 PM
I heard that Clermiston was originally Leith overspill. This may be the reason it is a hibby stronghold in the west of the town.
I went to Porty High and my year was predominantly jambos

I haven't heard of that. The folk I know from cleri are Jambos. However the cleri hibs fans might have went to St Augies.

Fanforlife
09-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Magdalene still a hibbie stronghold, with the occasional 6 fingered banjo plucking cardigan wearing jambo straggler wandering about lost

Has always been so in Magdalene

Is It On....
09-03-2018, 12:29 PM

I went to Firrhill in the 80s and Hibs fans were definitely in the minority. However, the number of people that actually went to the games was much more even.

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2018, 12:37 PM
I went to Peebles high school in the 70s and it was hard to tell what the demographic was, there did seem to be a lot of Celtic and Rangers though.

I've lived in Galashiels for nearly 40 years and I would say the town, like the Borders in general, is split pretty well 50/50 between Hibs and Hearts with unfortunately about 60% of the total 'fitba fans' in the area being OF glory hunters or EPL fanboys ..... though for some reason Earlston seems to be a Hibby hotbed and of course Bobby Johnstone has a street named after him in Selkirk.

Funnily enough even though I could probably name at least 20 folk I know personally who are Easter Road regulars or semi regulars we have never managed to get a successful supporters club going ... believe me I've tried :greengrin The Borders has been described as a city with enormous parks and that's pretty accurate, inter town rivalry has scuppered at least one of my attempts.

MSK
09-03-2018, 12:49 PM
Has always been so in MagdaleneAnd likewise in Bingham where I spent many years

Pete
09-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Here’s my theory, starting at Ferry Road and working South, ignoring the central parts.

Drylaw, Clermiston, Corstorphine, Murrayfield, Broomhouse, Sighthill, Colinton, Craiglockhart, Morningside, Oxgangs, Fairmilehead...Hearts.

Liberton, Southhouse, Gracemount, Moredun...a mix.

Niddrie, Craogmillar, Magdalene, Portobello, Craigentinny, Lochend, Leith, Trinity, Granton, Pilton, Muirhouse...Hibs.

Town centre...Students, hippies and yuppies. Probably Man Utd.

It’s not exactly scientific but there you go.😁

Geo_1875
09-03-2018, 12:55 PM
I haven't heard of that. The folk I know from cleri are Jambos. However the cleri hibs fans might have went to St Augies.

Your speaking to the wrong people if you only know Jambos in Clermiston. Moved there in 71 when I was at Craigroyston. Craigmount and St Augustines had just opened and most people were going to Craigroyston, Tynecastle or St Anthony's. Clermiston was very mixed but as previously mentioned hertz were pish in the late 60s and most of the 70s so their fans didn't come out much. Nowadays it's probably an even split with the occasional Hun. I'd say Celtc fans are quite rare.

Frazerbob
09-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Aberdeen is Hibs......ok maybe a few Sheep too.

superbam
09-03-2018, 01:05 PM

Parsons Green primary was overwhelmingly Hibs in early 1990s. Lady Nairne/Willowbrae/Northfield generally def Hibs dominated

Greencore
09-03-2018, 01:10 PM
liberton area = mainly hibs
Live in Dalkeith Area now, pretty much 50 50.

Nakedmanoncrack
09-03-2018, 01:11 PM

Majority Hearts, but still plenty of us in the Juniper Green, Currie, Balerno corridor.

WhileTheChief..
09-03-2018, 01:16 PM
My wife's family are from Balerno and I've heard from them it's full of Jambos. My father in law is pretty much the only hibs fan in his local.

I was at high school in the 80s in Balerno.

There were 2 other Hibs fans along with me through the 5 years I was there.

Plenty Hearts and several Aberdeen but very few old firm fans.

By the time I moved away from there my local had a good mix of fans from plenty clubs but Hibs were probably the majority. Maybe cause my mate that owned the pub was also a Hibby :)

Speedy
09-03-2018, 01:27 PM
Was brought up in Gorebridge , roughly a 4 way split of Hibs,Hearts,Rangers & Celtic. Live in Loanhead now some Hibs boys but full of Jambos

Far more Rangers fans than anything else out there.

Hermit Crab
09-03-2018, 01:31 PM
Grew up in Broomhall in the 80's/90's definitely a 50/50 split there.

edinburghhibee
09-03-2018, 01:32 PM
stay in Penicuik its full of jambos....although in saying that my neighbours either side of me are both fellow hibees:flag:

I’m the same moved out here couple year ago and full of them... a couple Of the wife’s younger family members are starting to see the light tho [emoji6][emoji1303][emoji1184]

PatHead
09-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Went to Holyrood in mid to late 70s. Was either Hibs or Celtic with the very odd Jambo. Lived in Pathhead for 24 years which has a lot of Hibbies and had a bus at the cup final. Hi guys, what a day that was! Can only think of 1 or 2 Jambos who actually go to games from the village. Quite a few huns who have never seen their club play. Say hello to George. Now at Baronscourt in Willowbrae. All the folk here have seen the light. 😄

4 Front Teeth
09-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Fairmilehead - specifically the Pavilion pub - seems to be all Hibees

green day
09-03-2018, 01:36 PM
Here’s my theory, starting at Ferry Road and working South, ignoring the central parts.

Drylaw, Clermiston, Corstorphine, Murrayfield, Broomhouse, Sighthill, Colinton, Craiglockhart, Morningside, Oxgangs, Fairmilehead...Hearts.

Liberton, Southhouse, Gracemount, Moredun...a mix.

Niddrie, Craogmillar, Magdalene, Portobello, Craigentinny, Lochend, Leith, Trinity, Granton, Pilton, Muirhouse...Hibs.

Town centre...Students, hippies and yuppies. Probably Man Utd.

It’s not exactly scientific but there you go.😁

Not bad - but you missed out Gilmerton - Gillie ya bass !!:greengrin:greengrin

Man Down Under
09-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Cramond/Barnton/D'Mains is probs about 50/50. Good mates on both sides. Maybe Hearts just clinch it though

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Bristolhibby
09-03-2018, 01:46 PM
I grew up in East Craigs / Clemiston in the 80s. Big Jambo area.

Primary schools colours were green though. (Drumbrae Primary).

J

ArmadaleHibs
09-03-2018, 01:48 PM
I was brought up between Southouse and the Inch. Near enough everyone me and my mates were around were Hibs. Or at least it felt like that. There were a few Jambo baw bags that were around but I liked to distance myself from them as no matter how pally you got there was always at the end of the day 1 issue. (They are different)

My mums family on the other hand we’re all from Niddrie back in the day and they are all hearts bar one who is rangers. ********s

My dads family are ALL hibs tho and they are muirhouse/Pilton by birth.

Keith_M
09-03-2018, 02:03 PM
Also, my perception is that the wee tcheucter towns of East, West and Midlothian are more hearts, as families dont move out of these places, they just marry each other...😉

In my experience, Midlothian was balanced more towards Hearts and East Lothian more towards Hibs (plus far too many Rantic fans, as usual)

West Lothian was very Rantic, especially RaHun.

Dunno if it's still the same now.

p.s. It's Teuchter.

southsider
09-03-2018, 02:15 PM
Went to Sciennes Primary and it was mostly Hibs fans. Played football in the East Meedies were the games were organized by a guy called Dougie Love. Think he may have been a scout for Everton. He had a pal called Gilbert who was either a) a half-wit or b) had been kicked in the heid by a horse. Now, the West Meedies crew were from Tollcross and had a lot of Hertz fans. We had the odd scrap by never amounted to much.

norhfc
09-03-2018, 02:21 PM
brought up in Portobello 70s ish.
I can remember it being pretty mixed with Hibs/Hearts, but most of my mates where Hibs and all my family way back to grandparents. I cant even mind making a decision about who I,d support....it was always Hibs.

:greengrin

norhfc
09-03-2018, 02:22 PM
I was brought up between Southouse and the Inch. Near enough everyone me and my mates were around were Hibs. Or at least it felt like that. There were a few Jambo baw bags that were around but I liked to distance myself from them as no matter how pally you got there was always at the end of the day 1 issue. (They are different)

My mums family on the other hand we’re all from Niddrie back in the day and they are all hearts bar one who is rangers. ********s

My dads family are ALL hibs tho and they are muirhouse/Pilton by birth.

The elephant in the room :agree:

TelaStella
09-03-2018, 02:25 PM
Is the Craigmillar Hearts still there? Nominally a Jambos club in my youth it was really just a local social club, and a good one at that.

It is aye mate.

PatHead
09-03-2018, 02:26 PM
It is aye mate.

Thought it burned down years ago.

Earlydelivery
09-03-2018, 02:48 PM
Come from lochend ‘ all Hibs . Went to st ninians late 60s , early 70s don’t think we had any Jambos in our whole school . Honestly !!!

AltheHibby
09-03-2018, 02:55 PM
It is aye mate.

Thanks. Glad to hear it.

The Harp Awakes
09-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Come from lochend ‘ all Hibs . Went to st ninians late 60s , early 70s don’t think we had any Jambos in our whole school . Honestly !!!

Yep, almost entirely Hibs fans at St Ninians in the 70s with some Celtic, 1 or 2 jambos and can't remember any Huns. Holyrood was much the same, probably about 90% Hibs fans.

SingaporeHibs
09-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Being a young lad supporting Hibs in the mid to late 80’s was a tough gig in central Edinburgh. But for us that stuck with it we had our rewards eventually. There were even some lads at that time that had Hearts tops (“glory hunting young tw@ts”) but who returned to their natural home as they moved into older years and started to follow their natural birth line. Swings and round abouts in a lot of areas I would Guess but north Edin heading east was always mostly the mighty Hibees. Now spreading the word across SE Asia, the future is and was always going to be HIBEES

Pagan Hibernia
09-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Not looking to derail this excellent thread in any way, but what do we reckon the overall split is in the city?

i remember some articles claiming they outnumber us 3 to 1. Can’t for one second believe that.

Pretty Boy
09-03-2018, 03:30 PM
I was brought up in Oxgangs which was big Hearts territory although there were a few Hibs fans scattered about. A lot of my mates around about where I grew up were Hearts fans.

On the flip side I went to Catholic school and I'd day about 90% of my mates there were either Hibs or Celtic fans and much of the remaining 10% was made up of Juventus, Inter, AC Milan etc as we had a fair sized Italian contingent (incidentally a lot of them seem to have been drawn to Hibs in recent years). There were a couple of token Hearts fans and I can only recall one solitary Rangers fan that I was aware off.

I live between Niddrie and Newcraighall now and that seems to be predominantly Hibs and Celtic as well, most of the guys I play football with in the local team are Hibs or Celtic fans and there are a couple of Celtic buses run from the area. A lot of the face I see going about I recognise from ER.

Pretty Boy
09-03-2018, 03:31 PM
Not looking to derail this excellent thread in any way, but what do we reckon the overall split is in the city?

i remember some articles claiming they outnumber us 3 to 1. Can’t for one second believe that.

I've always felt there are a few more Hibs fans in the city but Hearts seem to outnumber us by quite a bit in the outlying areas, particularly in Mid and West Lothian. A mate of mine who I used to work with who had moved to Edinburgh from Aberdeen once asked me why no one in Edinburgh supported Hearts. He said he felt Hibs fans seemed more vocal and proud in their support.

Booker5time
09-03-2018, 03:32 PM

Got burnt down years ago but think they moved to the old Dentist beside The Thistle.

AltheHibby
09-03-2018, 03:35 PM
Got burnt down years ago but think they moved to the old Dentist beside The Thistle.

Thanks.

Brizo
09-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Being a young lad supporting Hibs in the mid to late 80’s was a tough gig in central Edinburgh. But for us that stuck with it we had our rewards eventually. There were even some lads at that time that had Hearts tops (“glory hunting young tw@ts”) but who returned to their natural home as they moved into older years and started to follow their natural birth line.

Surprised at that. Grew up Southside and Morrison Street before moving to Inch. Granted it was 70s / early 80s but Southside was mainly Hibs with still quite a lot of families from the community that founded the club.

Morrison Street had a big Hibs contingent, particularly in the stairs that ran from Dewer Place to Lothian Road, yet again a lot of them with Irish origins. Lots of Hibbies in Tollcross at that time also. When I stayed Inch it was nearly all Hibs and lesser greens , wonder if its like that now ?

Baader
09-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Grew up in Mountcastle which was probably mixed. Slightly more Hibs. Went to Holyrood which was very predominantly Hibs, very few Jambos. But a good few so called Celtic fans from Irish families living around Inch Gilmerton way. Glory hunters to a man, families all seemed to be from Donegal...

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Grew up in saughton mains and maybe 60/40 in favour of the yams, but my high school at Tynecastle
was a tad different where maybe 10% hibs fans but we made sure they knew who we were when we won.

My brother went to Tynie mid to late nineties, same then unsurprisingly! :-)

Brooster
09-03-2018, 03:57 PM
At a guess I would say Tranent is 60/40 Hibs. Their tin pot supporters club is not in the same league as our supporters club.

Nameless
09-03-2018, 06:19 PM
I'm in Mussey, and this is definitely a Hibs-centric town now. When the trophy was brought to The Burgh primary, my laddie was allowed to wear his Hibs top. Judging by the pics I've seen, the majority of kids who have a team are Hibbys at that school.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

CLASS OF 72 -73
09-03-2018, 06:54 PM
Its definitely geography based for a long time now and Hibs have over the years become the peoples team in Edinburgh but I recall in the late sixties early seventies behind the goals, Irish rebel songs sung regularly. Also the catholic school I attended was 80% Hibs supported where the opposing protestant school in the same area was similar percentage the other way. Glad we are where we are now but there is a reality to our history.

Auckland Hibs
09-03-2018, 06:55 PM
My recollection of Auckland was

Takapuna - Hearts.

Mt. Eden - Hibs.

Parnell - Hibs

CBD - Hibs.

Were you at Foxes when we watched the 2013 final? Decent wee crowd of us :)

Yeah I was there - decent turnout

Crazyhorse
09-03-2018, 09:23 PM

I'm from the South (of Belfast)...

Hibby Bairn
09-03-2018, 10:28 PM

Cleri is Hibs. We either went to Royal High or were expelled therefore not in the stats!!

Diclonius
09-03-2018, 10:32 PM
Born in Longstone so should really be a Hearts man. Grew up outside the city though.

Lancs Harp
09-03-2018, 10:35 PM
The entire City is green. Hearts no longer exist. :wink:

chewbaccy
10-03-2018, 10:37 AM
Went to Sciennes Primary and it was mostly Hibs fans. Played football in the East Meedies were the games were organized by a guy called Dougie Love. Think he may have been a scout for Everton. He had a pal called Gilbert who was either a) a half-wit or b) had been kicked in the heid by a horse. Now, the West Meedies crew were from Tollcross and had a lot of Hertz fans. We had the odd scrap by never amounted to much.
Remember old Dougie Love- legend- grew up in Marchmont and it was quite mixed- even had an Asian lads in our crew who were Hibs and a Dundee United lad- played 20 a side in the meadows and mixed with the Tollcross lads who were mostly Hibs-TCR who later became BBC/CCS

A Hi-Bee
10-03-2018, 11:02 AM
Like the title says, there may have been some random disillusioned souls wandering around wi the wrong colours hidden away, but it was Hibs through the 60/70s,
some smelics once they won in Europe but mostly Hibs, the other two irrelevant clubs dont matter, one is history and one may yet become history.

:flag:

Colr
10-03-2018, 11:12 AM

Most of my friends and acquintences were Hibs but I suppose that reflects my social circle at school. The Jambos would have been in woodwork and remedial so we maybe didn’t mix so much.

Colr
10-03-2018, 11:21 AM
I'm in Mussey, and this is definitely a Hibs-centric town now. When the trophy was brought to The Burgh primary, my laddie was allowed to wear his Hibs top. Judging by the pics I've seen, the majority of kids who have a team are Hibbys at that school.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

My dad’s family are from there. All Hibs (and there’s a lot of them).

Killiehibbie
10-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Spent a fair bit of time in Piershill. A lot of Hibbies in that area, had one mate who was a hun but he was from Belfast originally.

One of the very few pleasant huns. More jambos in Piershill as the years went on but never a bus from any pub going to big games.

Auld Porter will be turning in his grave at the kind of people in his pub now.

Bostonhibby
10-03-2018, 11:43 AM
One of the very few pleasant huns. More jambos in Piershill as the years went on but never a bus from any pub going to big games.

Auld Porter will be turning in his grave at the kind of people in his pub now.

Aye, was in there after the Motherwell game for a trip down memory lane. Had some good times in Andrews days.

Killiehibbie
10-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Aye, was in there after the Motherwell game for a trip down memory lane. Had some good times in Andrews days.

My brother was confronted by a female bouncer going in last night, she let him in when told he'd been in there before she was born. 5 minutes later young boys are fighting in pool room while she's having a fag outside.

Bostonhibby
10-03-2018, 12:42 PM
My brother was confronted by a female bouncer going in last night, she let him in when told he'd been in there before she was born. 5 minutes later young boys are fighting in pool room while she's having a fag outside.Always plenty characters who could take care of themselves in there back in the day, but bouncers?! Weren't required as it tended to be "self policing".☺

Killiehibbie
10-03-2018, 12:56 PM
Always plenty characters who could take care of themselves in there back in the day, but bouncers?! Weren't required as it tended to be "self policing".☺

And the bams were sent next door.

Bostonhibby
10-03-2018, 01:03 PM
And the bams were sent next door.Don't get me started! Pickies!

hibbyfraelibby
10-03-2018, 01:47 PM
By 2020 all of Edinburgh will be Hibs...

heretoday
10-03-2018, 01:54 PM
The entire City is green. Hearts no longer exist. :wink:

You're right. All the Hearts are wandering around walkways and roundabouts in Livingston.

beensaidbefore
10-03-2018, 02:03 PM
Grew up in Buckstone and Hearts were the more supported team. My parents had decided my brother and me weren't going to be football fans and that was that until the Jambo next door offered to take us to Tynecastle. Just renenewed my season ticket at ER for the 25th year in a row, thanks Jambo neighbour.

That's where I grew up. What age are you?

itslegaltender
10-03-2018, 02:06 PM
Most of my friends and acquintences were Hibs but I suppose that reflects my social circle at school. The Jambos would have been in woodwork and remedial so we maybe didn’t mix so much.

I’m from Balerno and my generation in the 40’s now we’re definitely heavy Jambo centric