PDA

View Full Version : Night time derbies

Austinho
06-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Am I correct in saying we have a tremendous record in games against Hearts played under the floodlights at night?

I can only recall 1 night time defeat in the last 20 or so years - a Ryan Stevenson goal that put us out of the league cup in 2013, in the season we went down and just about anyone would beat us.

Whereas, we’ve had some of our greatest ever wins, including the 0-3 Millenium Derby and the legendary 6-2 game, the Dean Shiels/O’Connor game at Tynecastle (even after a howler from Simon Brown), beating them in both 2016 and 2017 Scottish Cup replays, the Brian Kerr game, the Casper game, the 81% possession League Cup game, and a few more that I can’t recall right now.

In contrast, our record of lunch time kick offs on Sundays seem pretty woeful. Could there be a reason for this?Maybe we’re just a bunch of night owls. Hopefully a good omen for Friday anyway.

ajf
06-03-2018, 09:38 PM
Just my opinion but I think the players love the whole SOL experience and go the extra yard to make sure it happens

Monts
06-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Am I correct in saying we have a tremendous record in games against Hearts played under the floodlights at night?

I can only recall 1 night time defeat in the last 20 or so years - a Ryan Stevenson goal that put us out of the league cup in 2013, in the season we went down and just about anyone would beat us.

Whereas, we’ve had some of our greatest ever wins, including the 0-3 Millenium Derby and the legendary 6-2 game, the Dean Shiels/O’Connor game at Tynecastle (even after a howler from Simon Brown), beating them in both 2016 and 2017 Scottish Cup replays, the Brian Kerr game, the Casper game, the 81% possession League Cup game, and a few more that I can’t recall right now.

In contrast, our record of lunch time kick offs on Sundays seem pretty woeful. Could there be a reason for this?Maybe we’re just a bunch of night owls. Hopefully a good omen for Friday anyway.

That Ryan Stevenson game, we battered them and just couldn't score. Should've been 3 or 4 up before they scored with their only shot at goal iirc

Sir David Gray
06-03-2018, 09:48 PM
That League Cup game is literally the only night time fixture I can remember us losing against them. We have a superb record under the lights.

Let's hope that continues.

Austinho
06-03-2018, 10:31 PM
Just had a quick look at the head to head, and in the last 20 years, we've only lost two evening derbies – the 2013 League Cup game, and a 2-1 defeat in 2002 from a late Steven Pressley penalty (kick off was quite early at 17.35, which is why I missed it first time).

In the last 20 years, we've played 15 evening derbies:
We've drawn 3 of them. (although one of those contained the recent Oli Shaw goal which we also won :cb)
Hibs have won 10.
Hearts have won 2.

Our last 3 wins against Hearts have all been 7.45 kick offs. I wonder why we so regularly turn up for them.

HibeeHibernian4
06-03-2018, 10:39 PM
Last 3 derbies at Easter Road have all been at night and have all been won by Edinburgh's finest, same again on Friday pretty please :flag:

heretoday
06-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Always a cracking atmosphere under the lights and to be fair, the Hearts play their part when in full voice.

SirDavidsNapper
07-03-2018, 05:24 AM
That Ryan Stevenson game, we battered them and just couldn't score. Should've been 3 or 4 up before they scored with their only shot at goal iirc

Yip. Probably the most one sided derby I've ever seen

SirDavidsNapper
07-03-2018, 05:56 AM
Always a cracking atmosphere under the lights and to be fair, the Hearts play their part when in full voice.

They normally go very quiet around 5 minutes in

JimBHibees
07-03-2018, 05:58 AM
Yip. Probably the most one sided derby I've ever seen

Surely the 81 per cent possession game under Collins

IGRIGI
07-03-2018, 06:09 AM

Now that we've killed their songbook I don't think we can count on them to add to the atmosphere, unless they wish to continue their current trend of adopting the The Rangers songbook.

Mantis Toboggan
07-03-2018, 07:09 PM

3 1 cup game last season also up there. They were rank!

lapsedhibee
08-03-2018, 04:52 PM
:agree: Was considerably more one sided than the NYD game in 1973.

ekhibee
08-03-2018, 06:01 PM
I seem to remember John Miller scoring against us at Tynecastle in a re-arranged new Year derby game on a Tuesday night, Hearts won 2-0. think that's more than 20 years ago though? Also, I don't know if it was the same one that Michael O'Neill was sent off and kicked a fire hydrant or something like that? I think that was at Tyncastle as well, but again more than 20 years ago.

erin go bragh
08-03-2018, 09:09 PM
So we have the fat superior night game record . We also have the better new year day game record against them . Really looking forward to this game tomorrow night .