PDA

View Full Version : Rod Stewart

Keyser Sauzee
06-03-2018, 09:37 AM
Just listening to Talksport and Rod was on, it was a bad signal but I’m sure he said his Sons support Hibs, any1 else year this?.

snooky
06-03-2018, 09:50 AM
Just listening to Talksport and Rod was on, it was a bad signal but I’m sure he said his Sons support Hibs, any1 else year this?.

His old man was a Hibby so maybe common sense skipped a generation.

Frazerbob
06-03-2018, 09:52 AM
I remember when he was a Scotland fan before selling his soul and hunting the glory.

Earlydelivery
06-03-2018, 10:02 AM
His auld man Hibby from Leith ; that’s why he done his wedding vows in Leith town hall .

brog
06-03-2018, 10:08 AM
I remember, way back, probably the Tornadoes, we lost 5-3 to Celtc at ER. He was on radio after & said they were always his 2 favourite teams & that game just reinforced it.

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2018, 10:28 AM
I remember, way back, probably the Tornadoes, we lost 5-3 to Celtc at ER. He was on radio after & said they were always his 2 favourite teams & that game just reinforced it.

A traitor to his Edinburgh roots by being an Ugly sisters glory hunting toss pot and a traitor to his London birthplace by being a Man Utd supporter ... he can stick 'Hibs are my 2nd team right up his Maggie May.

Nae batter than that other glory hunting tosser Seen Canary .... he cant even seem to decide which one of the Ugly sisters tae suck up to, I doubt even the Sheltic shupporters have much time for him.

Give me the late great Ronnie Corbett any time over that two.

snooky
06-03-2018, 10:46 AM
A traitor to his Edinburgh roots by being an Ugly sisters glory hunting toss pot and a traitor to his London birthplace by being a Man Utd supporter ... he can stick 'Hibs are my 2nd team right up his Maggie May.

Nae batter than that other glory hunting tosser Seen Canary .... he cant even seem to decide which one of the Ugly sisters tae suck up to, I doubt even the Sheltic shupporters have much time for him.

Thank heaven for small merricks, eh. :wink:

Kato
06-03-2018, 10:57 AM

I take you won't be "Sailing" any time soon with the Modster.

Diclonius
06-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Born in London, Man Utd fan. Hibs-supporting Edinburgh-born Dad, Celtic fan. The glory hunter's glory hunter.

Bet you if he was born 20 years later he'd be a Liverpool and Rangers fan.

SouthMoroccoStu
06-03-2018, 11:56 AM
There's plenty of pictures of him online wearing a rangers shirt

But I'm sure all passionate celtic fans do that....

Give me Craig and Charlie Reid any day of the week - music and support

heretoday
06-03-2018, 12:06 PM
Rod's OK.

Crazyhorse
06-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Rod's OK.

Loved The Faces.

Ringothedog
06-03-2018, 12:10 PM
Loved The Faces.

Rod’s got two

snooky
06-03-2018, 12:14 PM
Rod’s got two

His career went to pieces when his sore throat healed up. :offski:

hibby6270
06-03-2018, 12:21 PM
His auld man Hibby from Leith ; that’s why he done his wedding vows in Leith town hall .

Not quite. Don’t think he did his wedding vows at Leith Town Hall, although I suppose he should know better than me LOL :greengrin:wink:

Rods first son Alistair, with current wife Penny Lancaster, was christened in South Leith church in the Kirkgate in 2006.
A year later in 2007, the same minister presided over their vows at their wedding in Italy.
Then in 2011 same minister christened Rod’s son Aiden, again in Edinburgh but this time in the church at the St Andrew Square end of George Street.
All 3 ceremonies conducted by Rev Ian Gilmour who was minister at South Leith back in 2006.

They did renew their wedding vows in 2017 but that was at his home in England as far as I know.

What is undisputed is that Rod’s Dad was a true original Leither.

Swedish hibee
06-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Ach. We'll take anyone- a work colleague was on holiday last week & met a Scots couple through their kids playing together and told them he supported Hibs! Spreading the love around the world💚

Islington Hibs
06-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Not quite. Don’t think he did his wedding vows at Leith Town Hall, although I suppose he should know better than me LOL :greengrin:wink:

Rods first son Alistair, with current wife Penny Lancaster, was christened in South Leith church in the Kirkgate in 2006.
A year later in 2007, the same minister presided over their vows at their wedding in Italy.
Then in 2011 same minister christened Rod’s son Aiden, again in Edinburgh but this time in the church at the St Andrew Square end of George Street.
All 3 ceremonies conducted by Rev Ian Gilmour who was minister at South Leith back in 2006.

They did renew their wedding vows in 2017 but that was at his home in England as far as I know.

I know Rev Ian Gilmore- splendid chap. He conducted Lawrie Reilly's funeral in a green clerical top. Good man.

CropleyWasGod
06-03-2018, 02:21 PM
I know Rev Ian Gilmore- splendid chap. He conducted Lawrie Reilly's funeral in a green clerical top. Good man.

Did he wear it well?

MKHIBEE
06-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Born in London, Man Utd fan. Hibs-supporting Edinburgh-born Dad, Celtic fan. The glory hunter's glory hunter.

Bet you if he was born 20 years later he'd be a Liverpool and Rangers fan.

He's obviously a little misunderstood

Stevie Reid
06-03-2018, 03:56 PM
The sight of him crying at the Celtic v Barca game was utterly cringeworthy.

fat freddy
06-03-2018, 04:00 PM
I read that he was playing a gig in Glasgow back in the 60's, he met a few Celtic players afterwards and they invited him to training the next day.
Jock Stein and the players made him welcome and a freindship with the club developed. He gradually became a fan of Celtic through his personal relationship with the club rather than some bandwagonesque gloryhunting trip.
If the story is true then fair enough, the guy is entitled to support who he wants. You can see his passion for Celtic is real, his reaction after the Barca victory was clearly genuine.

cabbageandribs1875
06-03-2018, 04:07 PM

did my auld mans as well :(

hibby6270
06-03-2018, 04:07 PM
The sight of him crying at the Celtic v Barca game was utterly cringeworthy.

To most - yes - but he has since said it was one of those moments where memories of his dad came to mind. Put the 2 together and emotions takeover. I had that same “double feeling” on 21/5/16, so can understand the sentiment.

hughio
06-03-2018, 04:10 PM

I was at that game..an unforgettable spectacle.

Didn't see Sir Rod or hear him on the radio though.

However we should not be so bitter IMO.Rod's OK :thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
06-03-2018, 04:12 PM
To most - yes - but he has since said it was one of those moments where memories of his dad came to mind. Put the 2 together and emotions takeover. I had that same “double feeling” on 21/5/16, so can understand the sentiment.

Fair dos man :aok:

ACLeith
06-03-2018, 04:12 PM

Your info re the South Leith Church connection is spot on. The reason the second ceremony took place at St Andrews and St George's was that Ian Gilmour had moved to be Minister of that congregation by then. Piece of trivia - Gordon Strachan attended the first ceremony, I think because of connections when their parents were growing up in Leith, so don't read any football connection into that!.

hibby6270
06-03-2018, 04:13 PM
I read that he was playing a gig in Glasgow back in the 60's, he met a few Celtic players afterwards and they invited him to training the next day.
Jock Stein and the players made him welcome and a freindship with the club developed. He gradually became a fan of Celtic through his personal relationship with the club rather than some bandwagonesque gloryhunting trip.
If the story is true then fair enough, the guy is entitled to support who he wants. You can see his passion for Celtic is real, his reaction after the Barca victory was clearly genuine.

There is also a rumour that by publicly stating he was a Celtic and Man Utd supporter he would widen his appeal to a larger worldwide audience. Can see the sense in that. Doesn’t mean he still won’t have bit of a secret pandering for Hibs. Who knows?

ACLeith
06-03-2018, 04:14 PM

I also know Ian quite well and I agree with your assessment of him. Out of interest IH, how do you know him?

lapsedhibee
06-03-2018, 04:24 PM

Was some game, but a bit before the Tornadoes. Alan Gordon scored for Hearts that day. The result put us down to fourth in the league, having scored 21 goals in the five matches played.

Match reports (http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/1966-10-08%3A+Hibernian+3-5+Celtic%2C+League+Division+1)

brog
06-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Your info re the South Leith Church connection is spot on. The reason the second ceremony took place at St Andrews and St George's was that Ian Gilmour had moved to be Minister of that congregation by then. Piece of trivia - Gordon Strachan attended the first ceremony, I think because of connections when their parents were growing up in Leith, so don't read any football connection into that!.

He knows Strachan from his (Gordon's) Aberdeen days. They had a mutual friend, Ricky Simpson, a well known Aberdeen hotelier.

Pete
06-03-2018, 04:35 PM

Agree, the guy is a phantom.

I’m not having any of this “his passion is real” stuff either. It’s funny how nobody just HAS to support teams like Dundee, Raith Rovers or Doncaster.

He’s as fake as Coolio and can GTF.

On the flip side, I don’t mind his music and that draw was pure rock n roll.

brog
06-03-2018, 04:43 PM
Was some game, but a bit before the Tornadoes. Alan Gordon scored for Hearts that day. The result put us down to fourth in the league, having scored 21 goals in the five matches played.

Match reports (http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/1966-10-08%3A+Hibernian+3-5+Celtic%2C+League+Division+1)

I think I'm getting mixed up with a 4-2 defeat at home because was definitely the Tornadoes. Rod wasn't really a star in 1966.

greenlex
06-03-2018, 04:45 PM
Yet if you google images of rod in a Rangers top they are from the early 70s. :confused:

ACLeith
06-03-2018, 05:26 PM
He knows Strachan from his (Gordon's) Aberdeen days. They had a mutual friend, Ricky Simpson, a well known Aberdeen hotelier.

I'm sure your info is 100% brog, but the info I had was that it was Strachan's mother who first approached the church to see if they would be willing to conduct the ceremony, due to RS's dads' Leith connection.

One Day
06-03-2018, 05:48 PM

Great reading the match reports

Leithenhibby
06-03-2018, 05:57 PM

I had the same emotions at the final. SoL belting out with my two young son's (young men) by my side, it was ridiculous and ended up with a sair head that lasted a year! 😂🍺🤣 my Dad was a big Leither,and Hibby, but was one of the many that didn't live to see it.💚💚

He wore it well, a little old fashioned but I don't mind.👍

hibby6270
07-03-2018, 12:00 AM
I had the same emotions at the final. SoL belting out with my two young son's (young men) by my side, it was ridiculous and ended up with a sair head that lasted a year! 😂🍺🤣 my Dad was a big Leither,and Hibby, but was one of the many that didn't live to see it.💚💚

He wore it well, a little old fashioned but I don't mind.👍

Although that didn’t happen for me on 21/5/16, I was lucky enough to have that emotional overflow at the 2007 League Cup Final. As it transpired, was my dad’s last Hibs game he attended. He had stopped going a couple of years before due to failing health but made the effort that day. It was his birthday as well. Not only was my old man there but 2 of my sons were also there, so a real rollercoaster of family emotions in March 2007.

monktonharp
07-03-2018, 12:25 AM

Bet you if he was born 20 years later he'd be a Liverpool and Rangers fan.mair faces than the toon clock then?

brog
07-03-2018, 07:22 AM
I'm sure your info is 100% brog, but the info I had was that it was Strachan's mother who first approached the church to see if they would be willing to conduct the ceremony, due to RS's dads' Leith connection.

Im sure thats correct also but i think he originally met Gordon in Aberdeen then got to know the family. I think Ricky Simpson was one of Rod's many best men!

Islington Hibs
07-03-2018, 07:56 AM
I also know Ian quite well and I agree with your assessment of him. Out of interest IH, how do you know him?

AC Leith- to answer your question my mother goes to his Church (St Andrews and St George on George Street) and I have met him very occasionally when I have 'chummed her.' Always very pleasant and enthusiastic. Don't know if he really is a Hibs fan or not- (he is certainly quite interested and he told me about the Reilly funeral ) but I think cricket is his main sports interest.

Frazerbob
07-03-2018, 08:21 AM
Agree, the guy is a phantom.

I’m not having any of this “his passion is real” stuff either. It’s funny how nobody just HAS to support teams like Dundee, Raith Rovers or Doncaster.

He’s as fake as Coolio and can GTF.

On the flip side, I don’t mind his music and that draw was pure rock n roll.

This

I remember his ‘passion’ for Scotland was real. Not been seen at Hampden for donkeys, well not unless he’s seupporting his new team.

Leithenhibby
07-03-2018, 09:07 AM
Although that didn’t happen for me on 21/5/16, I was lucky enough to have that emotional overflow at the 2007 League Cup Final. As it transpired, was my dad’s last Hibs game he attended. He had stopped going a couple of years before due to failing health but made the effort that day. It was his birthday as well. Not only was my old man there but 2 of my sons were also there, so a real rollercoaster of family emotions in March 2007.

Fantastic memories for sure and overflowing emotions that kick in without too much warning. We played SoL at my Dad's funeral long before it was our anthem, a song with so many different emotions for so many different reasons, for so many people around the world. The rollercoaster of life!.. 💚👍

And it hits me right between the eyes every time.

basehibby
07-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Thank heaven for small merricks, eh. :wink:

:faf::top marks

Eaststand
07-03-2018, 09:54 AM
AC Leith- to answer your question my mother goes to his Church (St Andrews and St George on George Street) and I have met him very occasionally when I have 'chummed her.' Always very pleasant and enthusiastic. Don't know if he really is a Hibs fan or not- (he is certainly quite interested and he told me about the Reilly funeral ) but I think cricket is his main sports interest.

Is this the Minister who did Maude MacFarlanes ceremony at Warriston ?
I remember the Minister who did that service speaking very well about Maude and Hibs, and to prove his credentials, he held up his own Hibs season ticket during his speech.
It was obviously a sad day, but the Minister helped to raise a wee smile, and I'm sure Maude would have loved that too

GGTTH

hibby6270
07-03-2018, 11:30 AM
Fantastic memories for sure and overflowing emotions that kick in without too much warning. We played SoL at my Dad's funeral long before it was our anthem, a song with so many different emotions for so many different reasons, for so many people around the world. The rollercoaster of life!.. 💚👍

And it hits me right between the eyes every time.

Snap. We played SoL at my Dad’s funeral as well in Jan 2008. It was pretty much established as the Hibs anthem by then (CIS final in 2007 being case in point) and was wholly appropriate for Dad’s send off. I’m sure it will have been used a good few times since on these types of occasions.

ACLeith
07-03-2018, 11:36 AM

I am a member of South Leith which is now I know Ian. When he became our minister we had to ask the pertinent question - "which team do you support"!

He said that he grew up in Glasgow on the Rangers side but when quite young he was sickened by the sectarianism so switched to rugby.

ACLeith
07-03-2018, 11:38 AM
Is this the Minister who did Maude MacFarlanes ceremony at Warriston ?
I remember the Minister who did that service speaking very well about Maude and Hibs, and to prove his credentials, he held up his own Hibs season ticket during his speech.
It was obviously a sad day, but the Minister helped to raise a wee smile, and I'm sure Maude would have loved that too
GGTTH doesn't sound like him see my other post

Carheenlea
07-03-2018, 11:45 AM
I know we are an inclusive club an all that, but so we really want this rocking up to Easter Road...?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2mgmn43.jpg

Peevemor
07-03-2018, 11:49 AM
http://www.weareedinburgh.org/ian-gilmour

https://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2007/06/26/Minister-describes-Rod-Stewarts-wedding/89001182912025/

SirDavidsNapper
07-03-2018, 12:46 PM
His appearance doing the Scottish cup draw was the most cringeworthy thing i'd witnessed since Ian Cathro's interview after the Raith cup tie.

Islington Hibs
07-03-2018, 12:49 PM
I am a member of South Leith which is now I know Ian. When he became our minister we had to ask the pertinent question - "which team do you support"!

He said that he grew up in Glasgow on the Rangers side but when quite young he was sickened by the sectarianism so switched to rugby.

That tallies for while he was interested in Hibs and more than prepared to be supportive I doubted he was a supporter. Hope South Leith is prospering now he has left.

ACLeith
07-03-2018, 12:52 PM
That tallies for while he was interested in Hibs and more than prepared to be supportive I doubted he was a supporter. Hope South Leith is prospering now he has left.
We have challenges that face many churches these days but we're working hard to help make a difference in the local community

Islington Hibs
07-03-2018, 01:07 PM
We have challenges that face many churches these days but we're working hard to help make a difference in the local community

best wishes

One Day Soon
08-03-2018, 11:56 AM

Gorgeous post. More please.

One Day Soon
08-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Did he wear it well?

Bravo, an under appreciated contribution to this thread.

AndyM_1875
08-03-2018, 12:48 PM
I know we are an inclusive club an all that, but so we really want this rocking up to Easter Road...?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2mgmn43.jpg

Nice to see Penny Lancaster turning up with her mum.