PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen & the Race for 3rd Place

HibeeHibernian4
05-03-2018, 05:22 PM
I haven't seen this being talked about much anywhere on here recently. Not wanting to tempt fate, but if we beat Hearts on Friday night then we are 1 point behind Aberdeen in third, with them travelling to Thistle the next day and having one eye on their cup replay with Killie a few days after.

Given that we can't say for definite that fourth will guarantee Europe (at least until we know who has won the Scottish Cup), should we not as a fanbase and a club as a whole be trying to drum up enthusiasm to hunt down Aberdeen and overtake them before the season's out?

Obviously it falls largely down to the squad and the management staff, but Hibs could be marketing tickets for our last few home games as us looking to finish in the top three of Scotland for first time since 2005. It just strikes me as a little strange that more isn't being made of this big opportunity for us to seal Europe and lay down a real marker on Aberdeen and the other non OF teams.

Hibbyradge
05-03-2018, 05:27 PM
I haven't seen this being talked about much anywhere on here recently. Not wanting to tempt fate, but if we beat Hearts on Friday night then we are 1 point behind Aberdeen in third, with them travelling to Thistle the next day and having one eye on their cup replay with Killie a few days after.

Given that we can't say for definite that fourth will guarantee Europe (at least until we know who has won the Scottish Cup), should we not as a fanbase and a club as a whole be trying to drum up enthusiasm to hunt down Aberdeen and overtake them before the season's out?

Obviously it falls largely down to the squad and the management staff, but Hibs could be marketing tickets for our last few home games as us looking to finish in the top three of Scotland for first time since 2005. It just strikes me as a little strange that more isn't being made of this big opportunity for us to seal Europe and lay down a real marker on Aberdeen and the other non OF teams.

Did you watch Lennon's interview? He says that's exactly what we're trying to do.

Tickets are selling themselves already and if we win on Friday, all the remaining games will be either sell outs or very close to it.

The Leith Dutch
05-03-2018, 05:31 PM

Not quite sure what you're getting at here - I'm pretty certain nobody at the club is even remotely thinking "let's settle for fourth".
I've seen no evidence suggesting such a plan.

Pretty certain that the entire fanbase, the manager and the players is all intent on trying to get past Aberdeen.
I'd go further and suggest we haven't given up on hunting down Sevco too....
Win our game in hand, beat them in the Top 6 fixture and it's only 4 points separate us - 5 if you include a GD we're not pulling back.

Certainly not going to be easy but I'm pretty sure it's what we're trying to do.

Onceinawhile
05-03-2018, 05:36 PM
How can we market tickets for our last few home games when we don't know who we will be playing?

Billy Whizz
05-03-2018, 05:38 PM
How can we market tickets for our last few home games when we don't know who we will be playing?

Same for everyone unfortunately

HibeeHibernian4
05-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Sorry if that came across as a pop at the club or the fans, I'm genuinely more curious than critical

green day
05-03-2018, 06:13 PM
If we get a decent set of results between now and the daft split, I dont think you will need to be marketing anything, as the stadium will be a sellout or as near a sellout as possible for every home match we have.

Pretty sure everyone is keeping their powder dry on this one, but I am quietly confident we can give Aberdeen a good run for their money, especially if we get points on the board on Friday - Rangers? Lets see what happens after their match v Celtic this weekend.

Billy Whizz
05-03-2018, 06:47 PM
We need to win on Friday night, and hope Celtic do us a turn on Sunday, to get the ball rolling
Aberdeen have a tricky game away at Partick on Saturday

Hibeewilly
05-03-2018, 07:07 PM

I think that's a given amongst our support HFCE ......I don't think we need the marketing department to drum up enthusiasm....IMHO its there in bucket loads already unless I'm missing something....we sell out our home allocation for almost every game now. My bugbear is all of the empty seats especially in the Famous Five lower and why holders don't release their seats. In saying that...they wont be empty for this game. I don't know how you deal with it but hopefully we'll get people on these priviledged seats one day. GGTTH:flag:

bingo70
05-03-2018, 07:18 PM
We need to win on Friday night, and hope Celtic do us a turn on Sunday, to get the ball rolling

Tbf that’s probably about the least tricky away fame they will have.

Aberdeen will probably win on Saturday so it’s important we hang on their coat tails so when they do have a more difficult fixture we are ready to pounce.

I’ve no idea what their recent results have been like but there seems to be a bit of a negative vibe coming from them just now. I don’t know what their fixtures coming up are like but with our fixtures we must have a great chance of overtaking them.

Hibeewilly
05-03-2018, 07:32 PM

Aberdeen will probably win on Saturday so it’s important we hang on their coat tails so when they do have a more difficult fixture we are ready to pounce.

I’ve no idea what their recent results have been like but there seems to be a bit of a negative vibe coming from them just now. I don’t know what their fixtures coming up are like but with our fixtures we must have a great chance of overtaking them.
We will need to perform against them after the split Bingo which I'm sure we will. That will be the key game but lots of games to be played before then

Billy Whizz
05-03-2018, 07:35 PM

Pre split they have in order
Away to Partick
Home to Dundee
Home to St Johnstone
Away to Hearts
Away to Motherwell TBC, was cancelled last week

Also got a cup replay as well to fit in

Famous Fiver
05-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Win on Friday, then think about where that takes us.

Do our speculating after, not before.

'Natural Order' article posted prominently on the dressing room door, please.

danhibees1875
05-03-2018, 09:55 PM
Away to Partick
Home to Dundee
Home to St Johnstone
Away to Hearts

That is about as good as ours (Ross co for Motherwell is the only difference actually?).

We just need to focus on winning our games, one at a time starting Friday. :thumbsup:

hibbysam
05-03-2018, 10:02 PM
That is about as good as ours (Ross co for Motherwell is the only difference actually?).

We just need to focus on winning our games, one at a time starting Friday. :thumbsup:

We get to play hearts on a football pitch while they need to go to the pigsty.

Sir David Gray
05-03-2018, 10:45 PM

We also have Hamilton as opposed to Dundee.

We have Hearts, St Johnstone and Partick Thistle though.

jacomo
05-03-2018, 11:41 PM
Away to Partick
Home to Dundee
Home to St Johnstone
Away to Hearts

The Dons are good at picking up league points. It’s the big games they bottle.

Just gotta keep our form going into the top 6.

cabbageandribs1875
05-03-2018, 11:58 PM
our after split games should be

sellick H
sevco H
killie (IF it's them) H
hertz A
aberdeen A

if murrawell instead of killie they could possibly be our x3 at home to keep the 19 and 19
if it's st.johnstone, we could play them away x3

* i think :)

cabbageandribs1875
06-03-2018, 12:01 AM

Aberdeen have won 9 of their last 10 games at firhill....maybe not so tricky

bingo70
06-03-2018, 06:54 AM
our after split games should be

sellick H
sevco H
killie (IF it's them) H
hertz A
aberdeen A

if murrawell instead of killie they could possibly be our x3 at home to keep the 19 and 19
if it's st.johnstone, we could play them away x3

* i think :)

I don’t think it’s a certainty Hearts will make top 6.

IGRIGI
06-03-2018, 07:10 AM
I think it's all about keeping within distance to strike once they dons it again against Rangers and Celtic after the split.

hibbyfraelibby
06-03-2018, 10:30 AM
I think it's all about keeping within distance to strike once they dons it again against Rangers and Celtic after the split.

Agreed...but I'm not yet giving up on second place.

Ronniekirk
06-03-2018, 12:35 PM

Spoke to a Partick Season Ticket Holder last night He is concerned they could go down Thinks they have no chance v Aberdeen
But Weather could be a factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
06-03-2018, 05:07 PM

Obviously it falls largely down to the squad and the management staff, but Hibs could be marketing tickets for our last few home games as us looking to finish in the top three of Scotland for first time since 2005. It just strikes me as a little strange that more isn't being made of this big opportunity for us to seal Europe and lay down a real marker on Aberdeen and the other non OF teams.Not sure what you want the club to do?? If you watched Lennons latest interview that is exactly what we are targeting?? Short of taking a full page advert in EEN what are you expecting mate?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
06-03-2018, 05:13 PM

fair point, killie have a great chance to go above them tonight v st.johnstone @killie pie park

My_Wife_Camille
06-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Unfortunately, looking at the teams around them I think it’s pretty much nailed on that they’ll sneak in

Sir David Gray
06-03-2018, 05:51 PM
fair point, killie have a great chance to go above them tonight v st.johnstone @killie pie park

That game's tomorrow.

cabbageandribs1875
06-03-2018, 09:17 PM
That game's tomorrow.

just checked BBC site for score update, still 0-0 :greengrin

RyeSloan
07-03-2018, 10:08 AM
Unfortunately, looking at the teams around them I think it’s pretty much nailed on that they’ll sneak in

They will probably sneak in knowing them but nailed on it’s not.

Killie 2 points behind with 2 games in hand

Motherwell 5 points behind 1 game in hand

In fact if we beat them on Friday and both Killie (home to Ross Co) and Well (away to Hamilton) win then they will be 6th only 2 points in front of Well who will have that game in hand...

MacGruber
07-03-2018, 10:21 AM

In fact if we beat them on Friday and both Killie (home to Ross Co) and Well (away to Hamilton) win then they will be 6th only 2 points in front of Well who will have that game in hand...

Motherwell are only 4 behind with a game in hand. Not that I'm taking a keen interest..... so in your scenario they would be 1 behind with a game in hand and killie in front.

Anyway.... none of that matters if we don't do the business on Friday

RyeSloan
07-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Motherwell are only 4 behind with a game in hand. Not that I'm taking a keen interest..... so in your scenario they would be 1 behind with a game in hand and killie in front.

Anyway.... none of that matters if we don't do the business on Friday

Ha yeah I obv. can’t deduct 5 from 9 properly [emoji23]

And our are right we need to win on Friday not just to make sure we stay in the hunt for third but to really put the pressure on them for top 6!

My_Wife_Camille
07-03-2018, 11:30 AM

I know the maths (Well are actually only 4 points behind) but even if the gap is down to one at that stage (which I expect), Motherwell then play Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and St Johnstone in their remaining games while Hearts play Dundee, Partick and Aberdeen.

In your scenario, Motherwell would still have to pick up two more points than Hearts from those remaining games. Not impossible but I don’t see it happening. I think Hearts will be good for at least three points and I’d be very surprised if Well were to get as many as five from those games.

WeeRussell
07-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Friday is huge in terms of going forward. Remember the tone on here after we put in a poor performance and got beat from them last time.

Turn up and get them beat and we'll have momentum and positivity in spades to carry us into our challenge for Europe... as well as enjoying turning them over once again obviously :greengrin

RyeSloan
07-03-2018, 12:23 PM
I know the maths (Well are actually only 4 points behind) but even if the gap is down to one at that stage (which I expect), Motherwell then play Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and St Johnstone in their remaining games while Hearts play Dundee, Partick and Aberdeen.

In your scenario, Motherwell would still have to pick up two more points than Hearts from those remaining games. Not impossible but I don’t see it happening. I think Hearts will be good for at least three points and I’d be very surprised if Well were to get as many as five from those games.

True true but Well have picked up after the winter break and you are not accounting for the doom and gloom that will pervade Gorgie way after we pump them on Friday [emoji12]

cabbageandribs1875
07-03-2018, 08:23 PM
killie pies 1 st.johnstone 0, boyd with his weekly penalty after 30 mins