PDA

View Full Version : Stanton or Sauzee

Monts
05-03-2018, 04:02 PM
There's a good thread on the pm board reminiscing about "Mr Hibs" Pat Stanton.

Like many on here, I never got to see Stanton play. The greatest player at hibs in my time is Franck.

So who was the better player? The cup winning Captain, or the champion of Europe?

Thecat23
05-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Sauzee as I never seen Stanton.

HibeeMackenzie
05-03-2018, 04:05 PM
David Gray

surreyhibbie
05-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Stanton

every time

madsen5
05-03-2018, 04:09 PM
Patrick Gordon Stanton no question xx

Sauzee16
05-03-2018, 04:09 PM
Sauzee was the best player I’ve ever seen play for us. Stanton is more iconic mind.

Billychaotic182
05-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Too young for Stanton so will have to be Sauzee

Northernhibee
05-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Taking ability out of it

Stevenson
Stanton
Sauzee

But I love and respect all three for their contribution to the club near equally.

blackpoolhibs
05-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Would have loved Sauzee to play for us a few years younger, but Pat was the best by a long way.

Both were fantastic, but Pat did it for a long time, he was majestic the way he covered the ground. His ability was 2nd to none, and his leadership was as good as i have witnessed at Hibs.

Tom Hart RIP
05-03-2018, 04:13 PM
Pat was as good as Franck if they were both at their peak at the same time.

ancient hibee
05-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Pat.And for most of the time he didn’t play in his best position.

Eckythetechy
05-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Pat, no debate needed :agree::greengrin

wpj
05-03-2018, 04:22 PM
Pat Stanton, wonderful Hibee, wonderful player and wonderful gentleman who absolutely loves Hibernian. Franck was a man of his time but Pat was and is Hibs

Golden Bear
05-03-2018, 04:24 PM
In terms of his contribution over the years to Hibernian FC then there's only one answer, but I'd say that Franck was the complete football player and his impressive career at international and club level speaks for itself.

So, I'm undecided.

:greengrin

IWasThere2016
05-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Stanton - we will never see better.

Golden Bear
05-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Pat.And for most of the time he didn’t play in his best position.

Was that centre half, sweeper or midfield?

heretoday
05-03-2018, 04:29 PM
Both great leaders. Pat was probably more versatile going forward but I'd say Frank was a tougher defender.
Nothing to choose between them.

stu in nottingham
05-03-2018, 04:30 PM
No disrespect to Franck Sauzee who was a wonderful player but there was nobody quite like Pat Stanton.

Clerie Green
05-03-2018, 04:30 PM
Pat Stanton :thumbsup:

Earlydelivery
05-03-2018, 04:32 PM
No comparison... The king is the greatest player I’d ever seen in a Hibs jersey . And I’m a sprightly 56

Bostonhibby
05-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Not comparing like for like. I've seen and enjoyed both but it's Stanton by some way, he was a brilliant all round footballer and leader of the team.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
05-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Pat Stanton defined a generation of Hibbies, maybe two.
I reckon those in the 50-70 demographic will see Paddy as the ultimate hero, boyhood and upwards.
Someone used the worked Icon and that just about nails it. He was everything about Hibs when I was a boy.

Love Franck too but not the same thing really.

Hibs1969
05-03-2018, 04:36 PM
Stanton every time. Hibernian legend.

Northernhibee
05-03-2018, 04:36 PM
We're really lucky to have so many outstanding ambassadors for our club.

ancient hibee
05-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Was that centre half, sweeper or midfield?
I think sweeper was his best position.He was excellent at picking up the second ball in the box,knew exactly where to be.Not so good at centre half and very good in midfield.

lucky
05-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Sauzee but I can’t really remember Stanton playing for us

The_Horde
05-03-2018, 04:45 PM
Stanton. Sauzee can bolt as far as I'm concerned, far bigger legends in the team we have now.

Oh and also drove past pat earlier and gave him a wee toot.

penihibs
05-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Pat just oozed class, he just glided about the park against better quality teams and players than nowadays.
It was a real pleasure to watch him and in later life get to know him.
A true Gentleman and bleeds Hibs.

BFG
05-03-2018, 04:58 PM
To anyone that seen both players playing at there peak both were fantastic, but for myself Pat Stanton was a standout, how he didn’t get more Scotland caps is an absolute disgrace

CockneyRebel
05-03-2018, 04:59 PM
Would have loved Sauzee to play for us a few years younger, but Pat was the best by a long way.

Both were fantastic, but Pat did it for a long time, he was majestic the way he covered the ground. His ability was 2nd to none, and his leadership was as good as i have witnessed at Hibs.

If it is judged by their contribution to Hibs it has to be Pat.

vahibbie
05-03-2018, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=DexterStJock;5333668]Stanton. Sauzee can bolt as far as I'm concerned, far bigger legends in the team we have now.

Sauzee can bolt....really.:confused: and who would these far bigger legends be?

However in a comparison between the two Mr Stanton wins hands down every time.

EastThomasSTboy
05-03-2018, 05:05 PM
IMO.I wonder why they are comparing Champagne with Apple Juice.

Sauzee was past his prime in the short time he played for us. Though still a good player.

Pat played almost his entire career with us and was a very majestic player.

My favourite player of any team/generation.

Thecat23
05-03-2018, 05:06 PM
Stanton. Sauzee can bolt as far as I'm concerned, far bigger legends in the team we have now.

“Sauzee can bolt?” Why? Just because he’s a private guy and hasn’t come back?

They way Hibs treated him in the end was bang out of order.

BonnieFitbaTeam
05-03-2018, 05:27 PM
I think sweeper was his best position.He was excellent at picking up the second ball in the box,knew exactly where to be.Not so good at centre half and very good in midfield.

If memory serves, he was described by Franz Beckenbauer, no less, as the best sweeper in Europe. Quite the accolade all things considered.

Onion
05-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Saw both. Stanton for me.

supermcginn
05-03-2018, 05:37 PM

More like you can bolt! Sauzee will be my favourite player always , absolute genius. Sadly im too young to have seen Pat play.

stantonhibby
05-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Saw both. Stanton for me.

Same

Sauzee16
05-03-2018, 05:43 PM

That isn’t the question though. The question is the better player. Franck won more and played at a higher level. For Hibernian he was phenomenal too.

erin go bragh
05-03-2018, 05:51 PM

King Pat or Le God . Never seen Pat play for us in the flesh ( just too young :) But to pick one is a bit like winning a million on the lottery ,then winning a million on the pools and getting asked ,what’s your favourite win .
Both were majestic players and we were lucky to have them pull on the famous green top .

Sauzee did come back after his shocking treatment by the board .
He attended the Franck Sauzee appreciation dinner in the Almond suite inside the FF .
The rendition of one Sauzee after he was awarded glass decanter (his gift from the fans) was something else . Franck holding the decanter up and says “this means more to me than any trophy I’ve ever won”

Golden Bear
05-03-2018, 05:53 PM
If memory serves, he was described by Franz Beckenbauer, no less, as the best sweeper in Europe. Quite the accolade all things considered.

He was certainly a better player the Willie Millar who was often picked in front of Pat for the national team.

iwasthere1972
05-03-2018, 05:54 PM
Stanton all day long although it will surprise some that I didn't see Sauzee.

Jamesie
05-03-2018, 05:59 PM
That isn’t the question though. The question is the better player. Franck won more and played at a higher level. For Hibernian he was phenomenal too.

On the pitch, Sauzee unarguably was phenomenal.

But overall Pat Stanton (who I only ever saw play in a Hibs jersey once - it may have been a very brief cameo in a testimonial and it is annoying me that I can't remember exactly when!) has given substantially more to Hibs than Sauzee could ever contemplate. Every year that goes by with silence from Sauzee, despite the best attempts of fans to celebrate his time at the club, erodes and to some degree tarnishes his time at the club - I find it surprising he can behave this way if he genuinely loved Hibernian in the way that he professed. I have always had some difficulty in accepting that Sauzee's affection was as deep as it is portrayed - I can still recall in the autumn of the McLeish era his complaints that the contract that had been offered to him was "not respectful", or words to that effect, when I expect he was on a pretty decent Sky-inflated salary already.

Sure, Pat isn't perfect - who is? - and his attempt to stand as a Board supporter representative was perhaps ill-advised, but it did nothing to inhibit his status as a living Hibernian legend for me. For someone with such status, he is incredibly unassuming - I recall bumping into him on Leith Links on Sunday afternoon during the Scottish Cup Final celebrations, in among the other Hibs fans having a great time just like the rest of us. A true Hibernian great!

leith lynx
05-03-2018, 06:00 PM
Without doubt, Pat Stanton, the King of Easter Road.

fat freddy
05-03-2018, 06:34 PM
I was brought up watching The Tornadoes and Pat was the driving force in the team, quiet, determined, elegant, he purred his way through matches like a well oiled Rolls Royce. Everything was done with a grace and style seldom seen nowadays, to a young boy he was everything you could want in a hero, he could play any role, sweeper, defensive midfielder, attacking midfielder and he chipped in with so many goals, he had it all.
It was madness letting him leave, as Jock Stein proved, moving Pat to a sweeper role prolongued his career and he was instrumental in Celtic winning the title after he moved to Parkhead. For me his departure was the begining of the decline which eventually led to our relegation in 1980.

Seveno
05-03-2018, 06:40 PM
I was privileged to see Pat Stanton play and I do not think there will ever be a better player wearing a Hibs strip or a finer servant of the club. It is high time that his contribution to our history was formally recognised.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2018, 06:51 PM
I was privileged to see Pat Stanton play and I do not think there will ever be a better player wearing a Hibs strip or a finer servant of the club. It is high time that his contribution to our history was formally recognised.

This ..... AFAIK Hibs have never had anything like a club president ... perhaps its time we created the post of honorary club president with the first recipient being Pat Stanton .... this would give him a free seat in the directors box, free access to hospitality on match days and carte blanche to graze his sheep on the pitch :greengrin

Once Mr Stanton departs for the great team in the sky the honour is passed on through a fans vote.

As for Stanton v Sauzee ... I only saw Pat play a few times in the flesh. The biggest accolade I can pay Frank is that before or since I cant remember a player whose absence from the team sheet made my heart sink so much.

Seveno
05-03-2018, 06:55 PM
This ..... AFAIK Hibs have never had anything like a club president ... perhaps its time we created the post of honorary club president with the first recipient being Pat Stanton .... this would give him a free seat in the directors box, free access to hospitality on match days and carte blanche to graze his sheep on the pitch :greengrin

Once Mr Stanton departs for the great team in the sky the honour is passed on through a fans vote.

Whilst I would agree with your suggestion, I think it should go along with either a stand being named after him or a bust/ statue.

Stantons Angel
05-03-2018, 07:03 PM
there is only one answer to your question and thats PAT STANTON aka GOD!

Pat Stanton was and IS Mr Hibs and was a brilliant all round footballer who played for the pride the jersey he was wearing gave him.

IMO if he had played in the other green and white hed have had many more caps for his country, some things never change!

To this day he is still Hibs through and throug and always will be1

I was lucky enought to see Sauzee grace the green and white jersey too, the difference with him and Pat was he had done everything before he came to Hibs and just carried on where he had left off at his other clubs/

He too had Hibs in his heart and carried the jersey with the same passion as Pat did as he took the club and its supporters to his heart.

I heard him say he was so taken aback with John Hughes going along the line up in the tunnel before a Hearts game telling them what he would do to them all if we didnt win....

He'd never heard language like it used at his own players by the captain BUT he understood what it meant to him and to the team!

A great player treated so badly by the club that he wont come back................ so sad!

For all of you who didnt see Pat play, you missed the making of a legend which watching Sauzee made up for a little.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Whilst I would agree with your suggestion, I think it should go along with either a stand being named after him or a bust/ statue.

Not against that .... Main stand should be the STF stand though.

J-C
05-03-2018, 07:19 PM

This :thumbsup:

Hibrandenburg
05-03-2018, 07:24 PM
Both outstanding players with similar attributes in that they could pick up their team by the scruff of the neck and get the best out of them.

For me Stanton edges it, both him and Franck stood head and shoulders above their teammates in their respective teams, but if you look at both teams the Tornadoes would have been the harder team to stand out in.

snooky
05-03-2018, 07:26 PM

Pat Stanton was and IS Mr Hibs and was a brilliant all round footballer who played for the pride the jersey he was wearing gave him.

IMO if he had played in the other green and white hed have had many more caps for his country, some things never change!

I was lucky enought to see Sauzee grace the green and white jersey too, the difference with him and Pat was he had done everything before he came to Hibs and just carried on where he had left off at his other clubs/

He too had Hibs in his heart and carried the jersey with the same passion as Pat did as he took the club and its supporters to his heart.

I heard him say he was so taken aback with John Hughes going along the line up in the tunnel before a Hearts game telling them what he would do to them all if we didnt win....

He'd never heard language like it used at his own players by the captain BUT he understood what it meant to him and to the team!

A great player treated so badly by the club that he wont come back................ so sad!

For all of you who didnt see Pat play, you missed the making of a legend which watching Sauzee made up for a little.

:top marks

Sammy7nil
05-03-2018, 07:27 PM

I remember that high praise indeed.

He was certainly a better player the Willie Millar who was often picked in front of Pat for the national team.

Miller was a very good player and won a European trophy no doubt Pat was at least as good and IMHO Pat was better. However Miller never kept him out the Scotland team different times. More likely Billy McNeil or other Celtic players of their very good team kept Pat out of the Scotland team.

MB62
05-03-2018, 07:35 PM

:agree: :top marks

O'Rourke3
05-03-2018, 07:35 PM
Stanton every time having been lucky enough to see both and often. My regret is missing out on Reilly, Smith and the rest

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Hibeewilly
05-03-2018, 07:38 PM

What a strange comment regarding Franck Sauzee....WEIRD

Roxyhibee
05-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Pat Stanton easily. For anyone of my generation first seeing Hibs from the mid 60’s, it’s an absolute no brainer. The man was great at everything including tackling which is frequently overlooked. Should have got far more Scottish Caps as a midfielder.

But Sauzee before he came to Hibs playing in his prime playing as a CL winner - well, it’d have to be him no doubt.

Hibeewilly
05-03-2018, 07:46 PM

I don't know what its going to take SA...I don't have the answer.....but I believe in one thing...the Hibs support should work tirelessly to make sure the legend that is Franck Sauzee comes back soon to receive the warmth of our support. We kept Mercer at bay....surely we can bring big Franck back!!!

Golden Bear
05-03-2018, 07:53 PM

Miller was a very good player and won a European trophy no doubt Pat was at least as good and IMHO Pat was better. However Miller never kept him out the Scotland team different times. More likely Billy McNeil and of other Celtic players kept Pat out of the Scotland team.

Aye , you're right, dunno what made me think that. I've chec ked and it looks as though their international careers may only have overlapped by a year. Willie is in his early sixties while Pat is in early seventies.

One Day
05-03-2018, 08:13 PM
Pat Stanton without question

Stantons Angel
05-03-2018, 08:29 PM
I don't know what its going to take SA...I don't have the answer.....but I believe in one thing...the Hibs support should work tirelessly to make sure the legend that is Franck Sauzee comes back soon to receive the warmth of our support. We kept Mercer at bay....surely we can bring big Franck back!!!

you are so right and its about time he was found and invited him to fish in some good Scottish waters!

Hibeewilly
05-03-2018, 08:36 PM
you are so right and its about time he was found and invited him to fish in some good Scottish waters!
Agree 100%. Do you know how to start a poll? If so can you set it up?

hibby6270
05-03-2018, 08:46 PM
Pat Stanton by the length of Easter Road, or indeed the Champs Elysee for that matter, maybe even both combined.

Stantons Angel
05-03-2018, 08:50 PM

Miller was a very good player and won a European trophy no doubt Pat was at least as good and IMHO Pat was better. However Miller never kept him out the Scotland team different times. More likely Billy McNeil or other Celtic players of their very good team kept Pat out of the Scotland team.

At the time he was playing a wee bit more forward than McNeill and Miller. Id have thought it would have been Billy Bremner of Leeds who played in the position he would have been in.

No matter what he was such a wonderful player and a pure gentleman as was Sauzee, he was the only player i feel good enough to have worn that no4 jersey after him.

The_Horde
05-03-2018, 08:53 PM

Private guy with absolutely no respect for the devastated support he left behind who've tried to contact him many a time and whom he's blanked ever since. Good player or not, it's an absolute shambles that he hasn't even released a statement to the press thanking us all for getting in touch with him and wishing us all the best whilst also distancing himself from ever having connections with us long term (as is his wish).

No courtesy to the people who helped toward his rather large wages (in hibs terms at least) for 2/3 seasons.

Players like Stevenson and Hanlon are far superior to him in my estimation and, although nowhere near his ability, have given us far more than he ever would and also will again once they're retired.

Never seen Pat, but his undoubted quality over a longer period of time and his sheer dedication to hibs makes him far better than sauzee in hibs terms for me.

Greenwich_Hibby
05-03-2018, 08:59 PM
Pat - never in doubt - dedication, quality, longevity, cup-winning captain, legend.

BSEJVT
05-03-2018, 09:14 PM
I have been lucky to see many great Hibs players over the years (and some not so great).

One of my early memories was the return of Joe Baker.

In many ways Pat was unlucky in that from my initial memories of him he was a fabulous player in a team full of great and very good players.

In a poorer team he would have stuck out yet further than he did, this was a team whose 3 forwards scored over 100 goals in a season.

Yet despite the above Pat was and is the best player Hibs have had in my lifetime by quite a significant distance.

Sauzee was very good but I think he gets extra kudos for being French and cool and for his record against Hearts as much as for his ability and also for headlining a team (a bit like the current team) that came back from the brink and re-engaged with the fans.

As someone said earlier Pat glided rather than ran, he was wonderfully skilful, a great passer / crosser of the ball, great in the air and both a good tackler and goal scorer.

He was everything you could want in an ambassador and captain and came up against the best Scottish Side in generations or would have had a far greater trophy haul, both pre and with the Tornadoes.

Just watched the first half of Palace v UTD and Pogba couldn't hold a candle to Pat and has a stinking attitude.

Pat leaving for Celtic was a bitter blow sweetened only by the fact that he got to add to his medal collection.

It shouldn't matter but he is as nice a man as he was a great player and was also several times poorly treated by the club and still came back for more.

For guys of my age he is Hibs personified into everything we both wanted and expected us to be.

I would go as far as to say Hibs will never again have a player like Pat Stanton both in terms of his ability and the regard he is held in by most supporters.

Its very hard for subsequent generations to properly appreciate players of a bygone age but Pat was absolutely the real deal and had everything.

Easily a £50m+ player in todays climate.

Jonnyboy
05-03-2018, 10:18 PM
No disrespect to Franck Sauzee who was a wonderful player but there was nobody quite like Pat Stanton.

Cheers Stu, saved me the trouble of saying exactly that :thumbsup:

Stantons Angel
05-03-2018, 10:25 PM
I have been lucky to see many great Hibs players over the years (and some not so great).

In many ways Pat was unlucky in that from my initial memories of him he was a fabulous player in a team full of great and very good players.

In a poorer team he would have stuck out yet further than he did, this was a team whose 3 forwards scored over 100 goals in a season.

Yet despite the above Pat was and is the best player Hibs have had in my lifetime by quite a significant distance.

Sauzee was very good but I think he gets extra kudos for being French and cool and his record against Hearts much as for his ability and for headlining a team (a bit like the current team) that came back from the brink and re-engaged with the fans.

As someone said earlier Pat glided rather than ran, he was wonderfully skilful, great in the air and both a good tackler and goal scorer.

He was everything you could want in an ambassador and captain and came up against the best Scottish Side in generations or would have had a far greater trophy haul, both pre and with the Tornadoes.

Just watched the first half of Palace v UTD and Pogba couldn't hold a candle to Pat and has a stinking attitude.

Pat leaving for Celtic was a bitter blow sweetened only by the fact that he got to add to his medal collection.

It shouldn't matter but he is a nice a man as he was a great player and was also several times poorly treated by the club and still came back for more.

For guys of my age he is Hibs personified into everything we both wanted and expected to us be.

I would go as far as to say Hibs will never again have a player like Pat Stanton both in terms of his ability and the regard he is held in by most supporters

Great post and i can really only reiterate the words you use to describe the man!

Gawd you've got me crying now!

snooky
05-03-2018, 10:28 PM

Sauzee was very good but I think he gets extra kudos for being French and cool and his record against Hearts much as for his ability and for headlining a team (a bit like the current team) that came back from the brink and re-engaged with the fans.

As someone said earlier Pat glided rather than ran, he was wonderfully skilful, great in the air and both a good tackler and goal scorer.

It shouldn't matter but he is a nice a man as he was a great player and was also several times poorly treated by the club and still came back for more.

For guys of my age he is Hibs personified into everything we both wanted and expected to us be.

I would go as far as to say Hibs will never again have a player like Pat Stanton both in terms of his ability and the regard he is held in by most supporters

So true. Paddy :not worth

Eyrie
05-03-2018, 11:00 PM
I think neutrals would say Sauzee had the better overall career, and I'd agree with them.

But Stanton contributed far more to Hibs.

lobster
05-03-2018, 11:26 PM
Pat Stanton is one of the greatest Scottish footballers of all time. To see him glide over the pitch in total control of both the ball and the situation was mesmerising and one of the reasons the game is beautiful. Truly a legend.

southsider
05-03-2018, 11:45 PM
Just watch the sixth goal in our 7-0 romp. Rourky stole the goal on the line but the goal was pure Pat. What a player and a brilliant guy who always remembers names of people he has met.

happiehibbie
06-03-2018, 12:29 AM
Pat Stanton best player to grace ER

Ray_
06-03-2018, 06:45 AM
Pat Stanton easily. For anyone of my generation first seeing Hibs from the mid 60’s, it’s an absolute no brainer. The man was great at everything including tackling which is frequently overlooked. Should have got far more Scottish Caps as a midfielder.

But Sauzee before he came to Hibs playing in his prime playing as a CL winner - well, it’d have to be him no doubt.

Des Bremner also won the Trophy when it was just champion's and holders who could enter, that in no way made him a better player than Pat Stanton, who strolled games against far superior opposition than Sauzee did when in a Hibs shirt. No contest for me.

Allant1981
06-03-2018, 07:27 AM
Des Bremner also won the Trophy when it was just champion's and holders who could enter, that in no way made him a better player than Pat Stanton, who strolled games against far superior opposition than Sauzee did when in a Hibs shirt. No contest for me.

but sauzee done it in europe again much better opposition

Scouse Hibee
06-03-2018, 07:30 AM
Never saw Stanton and don't remember ever being tbat excited by Sauzee, but everyone tells me has was superb so he must have been.

Kato
06-03-2018, 08:17 AM
but sauzee done it in europe again much better opposition

Did Sauzee even play against a team as good as Stein's Celtic or as tough as late 60's early 70's Rangers?

For me that's debatable.

If anyone thinks he did - name the teams.

Earlydelivery
06-03-2018, 10:02 AM

Sauzee was very good but I think he gets extra kudos for being French and cool and for his record against Hearts as much as for his ability and also for headlining a team (a bit like the current team) that came back from the brink and re-engaged with the fans.

As someone said earlier Pat glided rather than ran, he was wonderfully skilful, a great passer / crosser of the ball, great in the air and both a good tackler and goal scorer.

It shouldn't matter but he is as nice a man as he was a great player and was also several times poorly treated by the club and still came back for more.

For guys of my age he is Hibs personified into everything we both wanted and expected us to be.

I would go as far as to say Hibs will never again have a player like Pat Stanton both in terms of his ability and the regard he is held in by most supporters.

Its very hard for subsequent generations to properly appreciate players of a bygone age but Pat was absolutely the real deal and had everything.

Easily a £50m+ player in todays climate.great post .. think of Steven Gerrard in his pomp ... the king was every bit as good .

Allant1981
06-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Did Sauzee even play against a team as good as Stein's Celtic or as tough as late 60's early 70's Rangers?

For me that's debatable.

If anyone thinks he did - name the teams.

marseille won the 1993 european cup final against one of the best teams in europe at the time, that AC Milan side were excellent

Earlydelivery
06-03-2018, 10:19 AM
marseille won the 1993 european cup final against one of the best teams in europe at the time, that AC Milan side were excellent
Correct .. Stanton would have walked into that team .

Allant1981
06-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Correct .. Stanton would have walked into that team .

im to young to have seen stanton play so i cant comment, i think its hard to compare the players as times chamge and players change, think we are cery lucky to have had both play for the club

Hillsidehibby
06-03-2018, 10:32 AM
Saw Pat at his absolute peak. Can’t say I saw Franck at his peak so unfair to compare.

Bostonhibby
06-03-2018, 10:34 AM

Easily a £50m+ player in todays climate.Great post. Perfect description of Pat Stanton. Peerless.

I seen the reference to Des Bremner as well. Good point. I thought Des made a great career for himself probably the most successful player to have transferred out of Hibs in my lifetime in terms of what he won (?) . He was great for us as well.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
06-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Patrick Gordon Stanton he was the original Le God !

He was class personified a majestic beautiful football player. As Eddie Turnbull once said there is class there is first class and then there is HIBS class. Pat Stanton was class personified majestic in his preferred sweeper role or as a midfield maestro. I dread to think what he would be worth in today’s inflated transfer market. Anyone in any doubt need only look at the highlights of the 1972 League Cup Final he bossed that game!

The highest compliment I can pay Franck Sauzee is yes he too was HIBS class perhaps slightly better he did us a tremendous favour signing for us when he did indeed many would say that Alex McLeish got lucky getting Sauzee and Latapy ( another player I would rate as being slightly above HIBS class ) at the same time.

hibeeron
06-03-2018, 10:48 AM
Pat Stanton had a casual arrogance of style which earned him Scottish player of the year
His vision and composure was a delight to watch

Hibby soldier
06-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Sauzee couldn't lace Pat Stantons boots sorry.........