PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup - How it effects 4th place

RossScott1991
05-03-2018, 09:56 AM
If we were to finish 4th this year, what needs to happen in the cup for us to get Europe? Was told if Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen win it then 4th get Europe. But then was also told if Motherwell/Kilmarnock get to final and finish runners up they get Europe instead of 4th.

Which is correct? just to clarify my confusion!

Also thoughts on who people would prefer to win the cup?

CallumLaidlaw
05-03-2018, 09:58 AM
If we were to finish 4th this year, what needs to happen in the cup for us to get Europe? Was told if Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen win it then 4th get Europe. But then was also told if Motherwell/Kilmarnock get to final and finish runners up they get Europe instead of 4th.

Which is correct? just to clarify my confusion!

Also thoughts on who people would prefer to win the cup?

Losers used to get the European spot. Not anymore. Goes to next league position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KWJ
05-03-2018, 09:58 AM
If Motherwell win the cup 4th does not get Europe. Any other outcome and 4th gets Europe.

Gatecrasher
05-03-2018, 10:04 AM
If Motherwell win the cup 4th does not get Europe. Any other outcome and 4th gets Europe.

Kilmarnock could still win it

calumhibee1
05-03-2018, 10:06 AM
If anyone in the top 3 wins it then 4th get Europe. If anyone outside the top 3 wins it then the winners get Europe.

Monts
05-03-2018, 10:14 AM
Kilmarnock could still win it

Maybe KWJ was assuming Kilmarnock will finish 4th...

RossScott1991
05-03-2018, 10:15 AM
Cheers for clarifying, we are in a strong position then. Though Killie are to be kept an eye on!

If it was celtic v killie or rangers v killie final. Then I hope celtic win their semi, as I would trust them a lot more to get the job done.

don't like to support any of the ugly sisters, but would be funny to see rangers continue to go without silverware for a while longer.

Billy Whizz
05-03-2018, 10:15 AM
Maybe KWJ was assuming Kilmarnock will finish 4th...

They have got quite a back log of games now
Suggest will have a bearing on some of their results going forward
Still fancy Aberdeen to beat them in the replay

Hibbyradge
05-03-2018, 10:18 AM
They have got quite a back log of games now
Suggest will have a bearing on some of their results going forward
Still fancy Aberdeen to beat them in the replay

On that pitch, I'm not so sure.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2018, 10:20 AM
Basically Motherwell or Killie need to win it for 4th not to be a European place.

Last season I would have put Celtic as a stick on to win it, but this season they are a wee bit below the standard they set last year and I could see a fighting performance by Killie or Motherwell causing a shock ... come to think of it considering the fright the Zombies gave them last time out at Parkhead its not inconceivable they could lose the semi.

I'm discounting Aberdeen .... all they need to see is the 'welcome to Glasgow' road sign and they fill their breeks :greengrin

lucky
05-03-2018, 10:24 AM
I’ve been tipping Killie for the cup for the last month or so which means there will be no sheep in Europe

Big_Franck
05-03-2018, 10:30 AM
On that pitch, I'm not so sure.

Aberdeen have already won comfortably away at Killie this season. I think they'll win the replay no bother.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2018, 10:31 AM
On a side note .... If Killie get past Aberdeen and its a Killie v Motherwell semi where are they going to play it? They surely cant go for Hampden, the utterly pathetic turn out by the good folk of Motherwell / Wishaw yesterday in support of their team was nothing short of a disgrace, I felt really sorry for the Motherwell players.

Given the poor support both clubs 'enjoy' even Easter Road or the Rust arena would be too bloody big.

danhibees1875
05-03-2018, 10:34 AM
Imagine if we need rangers to win the final because we've finished 4th... :sick:

Rocky
05-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Imagine if we need rangers to win the final because we've finished 4th... :sick:

Imagine if we and Aberdeen both overtake the Rangers in the league and we need Killie / Motherwell to win the final to end their European dream and send them to their death...again

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2018, 11:01 AM

Imagine Cumdog with a championship winners medal and two Scottish cup winners medals :greengrin

I seem to recall in the not too distant past Hibs and the Oldco carving up a draw which handed them the league title and us a European place... much to the consternation of a lot of Hibs fans in the crowd it must be said.

Bristolhibby
05-03-2018, 11:04 AM
Imagine Cumdog with a championship winners medal and two Scottish cup winners medals :greengrin

Cumdog can **** off now that he’s playing for that lot.

If it had no bearing on Europe for us, it would be Killy or Motherwell for the Cup for me.

If it meant Europe, then Celtic (and grudgingly the Huns).

J

green day
05-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Imagine if we and Aberdeen both overtake the Rangers in the league and we need Killie / Motherwell to win the final to end their European dream and send them to their death...again

Now that really is the dream scenario 👍👍

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Cumdog can **** off now that he’s playing for that lot.

If it had no bearing on Europe for us, it would be Killy or Motherwell for the Cup for me.

If it meant Europe, then Celtic (and grudgingly the Huns).

J

That's where I'm at as well mate ... I was just musing on the irony of a player a lot of folk don't rate ramping up the medal count, think of the great players of the past without a gong to their name ... Scottish football legends like Gary McKay and Craig Levin spring to mind :greengrin

Monts
05-03-2018, 11:16 AM

I seem to recall in the not too distant past Hibs and the Oldco carving up a draw which handed them the league title and us a European place... much to the consternation of a lot of Hibs fans in the crowd it must be said.

We actually played out a 0 - 1 loss

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2018, 11:18 AM
We actually played out a 0 - 1 loss

Auld age is a curse mate :greengrin

danhibees1875
05-03-2018, 11:34 AM

That's a better scenario. :thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
05-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Never thought I’d say this as I don’t like the club, but I’m hoping for a Celtic treble. It would mean that we are the last club to truly win, rather than simply buy, a major Scottish tournament. They have gone to sleep at the wheel a bit but I hope they rip the Huns a new one.

Crazyhorse
05-03-2018, 11:57 AM

That would be great but unfortunately I can't see past Sevco for 2nd place. We may overtake the Dons but it will be difficult.

Keith_M
05-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Having booked flights to Copenhagen two years ago and subsequently unable to go, I seriously hope we finish at least third this year.

Don't want to miss out again.