PDA

View Full Version : Scott McTominay

ekhibee
04-03-2018, 05:00 PM
I know it's not Hibs related, but I've seen this young lad playing for Man U a couple of times and he looks a young player of real ability. Great that he's committed himself to playing for Scotland over England too, that in itself is relatively unusual.

SouthMoroccoStu
04-03-2018, 05:02 PM
I know it's not Hibs related, but I've seen this young lad playing for Man U a couple of times and he looks a young player of real ability. Great that he's committed himself to playing for Scotland over England too, that in itself is relatively unusual.

Is it confirmed he’s committed to playing for Scotland?
Great news if true, he looks a real prospect

Bristolhibby
04-03-2018, 05:03 PM

The Times reporting it.

J

Oscar T Grouch
04-03-2018, 05:03 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43279384

JimBHibees
04-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Great news. Hope he continues to develop.

SirDavidsNapper
04-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Didn't know who he was until this Scotland thing. Sounds decent.

bingo70
04-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Where is he actually from?

I’ve never seen him play so can’t comment on it being a good thing or not but I find the whole choice thing he’s making a bit strange.

overdrive
04-03-2018, 05:47 PM
I’ve not been that impressed with him whenever I’ve seen him. A poor man’s Darren Fletcher.

The Utd fan at work thinks he’s only in the team so Mourinho can make a point to Pogba.

JimBHibees
04-03-2018, 05:48 PM

I’ve never seen him play so can’t comment on it being a good thing or not but I find the whole choice thing he’s making a bit strange.

Born in Lancaster to a Glaswegian dad. Maybe considers himself Scottish. Whatever a huge coup for Scotland.

Pretty Boy
04-03-2018, 05:50 PM
How can an eligible player make his way through the youth system at one of the biggest clubs in the world and not be selected by Scotland until now? It's a bit more understandable England have left him out as they have over 10x the population to choose from.

Given all the talk from Strachan et al early in his reign that he would know every eligible player it seems strange he has been totally under the radar at various age groups until now.

1van Sprou7e
04-03-2018, 05:50 PM
I’ve not been that impressed with him whenever I’ve seen him. A poor man’s Darren Fletcher.

The Utd fan at work thinks he’s only in the team so Mourinho can make a point to Pogba.

"Poor man's Darren Fletcher"

He's 21...

Lancs Harp
04-03-2018, 05:51 PM
Hes started pretty well at United, good to see a young lad getting his chance and taking it pretty well at a big Club like ManU, must have played a good half dozen games recently. He qualifies for Scotland through his grandparents, he was born in Lancaster. I think he has always professed a preference to play for Scotland although as far as I know he hasn't represented Scotland or England at any level, which is a bit surprising seeing as he has come through Uniteds youth system.

Lancs Harp
04-03-2018, 05:53 PM
How can an eligible player make his way through the youth system at one of the biggest clubs in the world and not be selected by Scotland until now? It's a bit more understandable England have left him out as they have over 10x the population to choose from.

Given all the talk from Strachan et al early in his reign that he would know every eligible player it seems strange he has been totally under the radar at various age groups until now.

PB

I think a lot of it was his own choice, he allegedly wanted to get a foothold at United before he started playing junior internationals (or so I read in a newspaper article a few weeks ago)

TRC
04-03-2018, 05:54 PM
Born in Lancaster to a Glaswegian dad. Maybe considers himself Scottish. Whatever a huge coup for Scotland.

I'll be raising my son to say he's Scottish, Swedish mother born in Sweden. (She's not happy about it mind)

Lancs Harp
04-03-2018, 05:57 PM

Could be wrong but I think its his grandparents not his Dad where he gets his Scottish connection.

Iggy Pope
04-03-2018, 05:59 PM
PB

I think a lot of it was his own choice, he allegedly wanted to get a foothold at United before he started playing junior internationals (or so I read in a newspaper article a few weeks ago)

No schoolboy caps? You don't get a foothold when you're 15.

bingo70
04-03-2018, 06:01 PM
Could be wrong but I think its his grandparents not his Dad where he gets his Scottish connection.

Imo the grandparents rule is a nonsense.

Would anyone really ‘decide’ their nationality based on where their grandparents were from?

I think even getting to choose based on where your parents are from is stretching it but grandparents is a nonsense.

My grandparents are originally from Dundee but if someone asks where in Scotland I’m from I’d say Edinburgh!

bingo70
04-03-2018, 06:02 PM
No schoolboy caps? You don't get a foothold when you're 15.

If he went to school in England would he not have to play for English schoolboys?

Lancs Harp
04-03-2018, 06:03 PM

Would anyone really ‘decide’ their nationality based on where their grandparents were from?

I think even getting to choose based on where your parents are from is stretching it but grandparents is a nonsense.

My grandparents are originally from Dundee but if someone asks where in Scotland I’m from I’d say Edinburgh!

I would tend to agree with you. Maybe he qualifies because he's called Scott :wink: and even that would make him more Scottish than Matt McPillips.

Iggy Pope
04-03-2018, 06:04 PM
If he went to school in England would he not have to play for English schoolboys?

Yes. Did he then?

Lancs Harp
04-03-2018, 06:05 PM

Yes, schoolboy selection is a matter of where you go to school not what nationality you are.

Iggy Pope
04-03-2018, 06:07 PM
Yes, schoolboy selection is a matter of where you go to school not what nationality you are.

I know. Did he choose not to play for England schoolboys while at Man U footholding?

flash
04-03-2018, 06:07 PM

Magnificent trolling.

G B Young
04-03-2018, 06:08 PM

He presumably feels he's got a much better chance of getting a game for Scotland ie not good enough to make himself a regular for England. Otherwise why would you choose a side that is approaching 22 years without qualifying for anything over a side which qualifies for most major tournaments? Seems a rash decision not to have at least spoken with Southgate. England are hardly a great side and if they were genuinely interested in him then you'd think he'd have wanted to weigh up his options properly.

Sauzee16
04-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Great news for our national team. He will captain the country for years.

Lancs Harp
04-03-2018, 06:09 PM
I know. Did he choose not to play for England schoolboys while at Man U footholding?

I doubt it but i was referring to older levels, I dont know if he represented England at schoolboy level, I have no idea at what age he signed for United.

Iggy Pope
04-03-2018, 06:10 PM
He presumably feels he's got a much better chance of getting a game for Scotland ie not good enough to make himself a regular for England. Otherwise why would you choose a side that is approaching 22 years without qualifying for anything over a side which qualifies for most major tournaments? Seems a rash decision not to have at least spoken with Southgate. England are hardly a great side and if they were genuinely interested in him then you'd think he'd have wanted to weigh up his options properly.

Maybe he's Scottish? A bit like Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy.

Iggy Pope
04-03-2018, 06:12 PM
I doubt it but i was referring to older levels, I dont know if he represented England at schoolboy level, I have no idea at what age he signed for United.

OK. Not sure what you meant by 'junior' levels then.

Lancs Harp
04-03-2018, 06:13 PM
OK. Not sure what you meant by 'junior' levels then.

Between schoolboy and full. 17-21.

Not that it really matters

Iggy Pope
04-03-2018, 06:19 PM
Between schoolboy and full. 17-21.

Not that it really matters

It doesn't really but u-17s, 19s and 21 squads contain players pretty well established at clubs and pro for the most part. Find it odd that he's chosen to ignore all of that since schoolboy level trying to get established.

Junior really isn't the term though.

SonOfDavidFrancey
04-03-2018, 06:20 PM
It was reported that he feels English, so McLeish must have made a strong case .

California-Hibs
Not to be underestimated, this is huge news for Scotland. I’ve seen him a lot this season as we’re talking about a lad who’s a starter at Man United. Only 21 and shows great touches and enthusiasm during games.

Well done McLeish on this one!

Lancs Harp
It doesn't really but u-17s, 19s and 21 squads contain players pretty well established at clubs and pro for the most part. Find it odd that he's chosen to ignore all of that since schoolboy level trying to get established.

Junior really isn't the term though.

I do apologise.

Iggy Pope
04-03-2018, 06:22 PM
I do apologise.

Peace friend :aok:. I should've googled him instead.

Lancs Harp
04-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Peace friend :aok:. I should've googled him instead.

Nae bother we're all Hibs here.:wink:

:flag:

Iggy Pope
04-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Nae bother we're all Hibs here.:wink:

:flag:

Born in Lancaster according to the BBC just now so that answers that bit.
Must've gone to a ***** school! :greengrin

Billy Whizz
04-03-2018, 06:32 PM
Where’s his dad from, any idea?

Iggy Pope
04-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Surname might suggest a few miles or more slightly to the NW of Lancaster?

Billy Whizz
04-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Surname might suggest a few miles or more slightly to the NW of Lancaster?

I thought that his dad was Scottish, seemingly it’s his grand parents

Iggy Pope
04-03-2018, 06:44 PM
I thought that his dad was Scottish, seemingly it’s his grand parents

Maybe his mums side? Or his dads ma? Permutations best left to the statisticians on the cup draw thread!

Lago
04-03-2018, 07:27 PM
Father is Scottish

Lago
04-03-2018, 07:28 PM
Glasgow I believe

thebakerboy
04-03-2018, 07:43 PM
Scott was to small to be considered at a young age but Man u persisted with him and he faded out of the picture a bit while he put on a 14 inch growth spurt in under 2 years and now is six foot 5 inches and looks like being a top player. Always thought of himself as Scottish .

Iggy Pope
04-03-2018, 07:49 PM
Scott was to small to be considered at a young age but Man u persisted with him and he faded out of the picture a bit while he put on a 14 inch spurt in under 2 years and now is six foot 5 inches and looks like being a top player. Always thought of himself as Scottish .

Wish I was better at this, but can't resist it....

eastcoasthibby
04-03-2018, 09:19 PM
I get that there is a debate, but how does the debate go with the players in many sports that gain national citizenship and go on to represent their new home countries ...we are not the only nation doing this !! surely at least.grandparents are descendents giving the nationality link ...

ekhibee
05-03-2018, 01:46 AM

The BBC article says his dad's from Glasgow.

GordonHFC
05-03-2018, 06:27 AM

As my old gran used to say 'If you are born in a field it doesn't mean you are a horse' 😁

we are hibs
05-03-2018, 07:23 AM
Ive seen him a few times and still unsure what kind of midfielder he is. He's not done anything that's stood out massively to me. Just seems the type that keeps it simple rather than anything over the top

J-C
05-03-2018, 07:46 AM
Very good player but I'm not a fan of the grandparent rule, for me you have to have one of your parent born here or you yourself, made a mockery out of our rugby team for a while with all the kilted Kiwis that came over a few years ago.

Beefster
05-03-2018, 07:53 AM
Very good player but I'm not a fan of the grandparent rule, for me you have to have one of your parent born here or you yourself, made a mockery out of our rugby team for a while with all the kilted Kiwis that came over a few years ago.

The press are reporting his Dad is Scottish.

Billy Whizz
05-03-2018, 09:19 AM
The press are reporting his Dad is Scottish.

I read that too, but his wiki page says he can play as his grand parents are Scottish

Hibbyradge
05-03-2018, 09:33 AM

Nip over to Kerrydale Street.

You'll find hundreds.

Americans will happily tell you that they're Scottish or Irish because some vague relative of theirs was born in Stirling or Donegal.

Hibbyradge
05-03-2018, 09:37 AM

Maybe he has a strong emotional affinity for Scotland.

If I'd been good enough to play international football, I wouldn't have done so for anyone but Scotland.

Peevemor
05-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Nip over to Kerrydale Street.

You'll find hundreds.

Americans will happily tell you that they're Scottish or Irish because some vague relative of theirs was born in Stirling or Donegal.

It's not just Americans.

Here in Brittany, because I have an Irish surname, most people I know give far more importance to my Irish roots (great grandparents) than I ever do. It baffles me more than it bothers me.

California-Hibs
05-03-2018, 10:11 AM
McTominay’s agent is non other than our former centre half - Colin Murdock. *shudders.....*

JimboHibs
05-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Ive seen him a few times and still unsure what kind of midfielder he is. He's not done anything that's stood out massively to me. Just seems the type that keeps it simple rather than anything over the top

That's how i would describe Dylan McGeouch who in my opinion is absolutely vital to the Hibs team !! I wouldn't say Dylan stands out massively and that's not a slight on him,he's a very intelligent footballer.....lets give McTominay a chance before he's written off !!!

JimBHibees
05-03-2018, 12:20 PM
That's how i would describe Dylan McGeouch who in my opinion is absolutely vital to the Hibs team !! I wouldn't say Dylan stands out massively and that's not a slight on him,he's a very intelligent footballer.....lets give McTominay a chance before he's written off !!!

The kid is playing most weeks for Man United we would be extremely foolish to not try and get him to play for Scotland.

JimboHibs
05-03-2018, 12:40 PM
The kid is playing most weeks for Man United we would be extremely foolish to not try and get him to play for Scotland.

Totally,always gonna be difficult for us thou we potentially have a group of young players regularly playing 1st team football who should form the nucleus of the national team Robertson,Tierney,McGinn,Paterson,McGregor,Fraser, Ritchie,get Armstrong & Griff fit add hopefully McTominay,Cairney not too shabby a potential squad fills me with much more confidence than McArthur,Bannon etc

JimBHibees
05-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Totally,always gonna be difficult for us thou we potentially have a group of young players regularly playing 1st team football who should form the nucleus of the national team Robertson,Tierney,McGinn,Paterson,McGregor,Fraser, Ritchie,get Armstrong & Griff fit add hopefully McTominay,Cairney not too shabby a potential squad fills me with much more confidence than McArthur,Bannon etc

Still a huge gap at centre back and also goalie for me.

IWasThere2016
05-03-2018, 01:24 PM
He spoke to Southgate. McLeish didn't have to worry after that as Southgate will have bored the boy into selecting Scotland :greengrin

Spudster
05-03-2018, 02:02 PM
Still a huge gap at centre back and also goalie for me.

Apologies for the DR link but centre back prospects aren't that bad
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/former-rangers-defender-craig-paterson-11981445

Spike Mandela
05-03-2018, 02:08 PM
Apologies for the DR link but centre back prospects aren't that bad
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/former-rangers-defender-craig-paterson-11981445

Got to ‘£8m rated Morelos’ and had to stop reading. What a pile of *****.

Billychaotic182
05-03-2018, 02:09 PM
I’m good friends with John McGinlays son, he was born and raised in Bolton but he always concerned himself Scottish, sure his dad being a Scottish international player helped. He always said his dad told him he was Scottish and he always wore kilts at weddings what that.

Thank with having a Scottish dad it would be drilled in that you’re Scottish. Delighted that McTominay has announced that he will be playing for Scotland as he looked like the type of player we need to bully teams.

Billy Whizz
05-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Haven’t seen the lad play, may tune into the Sky game later tonight, to see what kind of player he is

Nakedmanoncrack
05-03-2018, 07:19 PM
I’m good friends with John McGinlays son, he was born and raised in Bolton but he always concerned himself Scottish, sure his dad being a Scottish international player helped. He always said his dad told him he was Scottish and he always wore kilts at weddings what that.

Thank with having a Scottish dad it would be drilled in that you’re Scottish. Delighted that McTominay has announced that he will be playing for Scotland as he looked like the type of player we need to bully teams.

I know several "English" people who consider themselves Scottish, having one or both parents from Scotland. It's far from unusual.

SouthMoroccoStu
05-03-2018, 08:07 PM
McTominay’s agent is non other than our former centre half - Colin Murdock. *shudders.....*

Cracking penalty against rangers in the league cup semi final shoot out

Sir David Gray
05-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Haven’t seen the lad play, may tune into the Sky game later tonight, to see what kind of player he is

Hooked at half time.

To be fair to him, Mourinho could probably have closed his eyes and done eeny, meeny, miney, moe to pick the players that he was going to substitute after that first half.

we are hibs
05-03-2018, 09:07 PM
Subbed at half time. Game passed him by.

Billy Whizz
05-03-2018, 09:11 PM

Watched it too. If that’s the best the 2nd best team in England can offer, I’m glad I watch Scottish football

Lancs Harp
05-03-2018, 09:37 PM
A good second half, 2-2, very decent game now.

chrisski33
05-03-2018, 09:49 PM

Sure BBC Scotlanf said his dad is from Helensburgh

nonshinyfinish
05-03-2018, 09:55 PM

The effect of choosing Scotland :boo hoo:

Lancs Harp
05-03-2018, 09:56 PM
The effect of choosing Scotland :boo hoo:

He wasnt as bad as Pogba or Lindelof in that first half. :wink: