PDA

View Full Version : Homeless Hibee?

andyf5
04-03-2018, 09:29 AM
The guy begging outside Superdrug on Princes Street at the bottom of the mound was wearing a hibs jacket yesterday so I gave him more than I intended. If you are passing I'm sure he would appreciate a donation in this weather. I support streetwise.org.uk that tries to get the homeless off the streets and you can donate there if you are not in Princes Street today.

heidtheba
04-03-2018, 09:32 AM
The guy begging outside Superdrug on Princes Street at the bottom of the mound was wearing a hibs jacket yesterday so I gave him more than I intended. If you are passing I'm sure he would appreciate a donation in this weather. I support streetwise.org.uk that tries to get the homeless off the streets and you can donate there if you are not in Princes Street today.

Great idea. I support Streetwork and they do a lot too. There's been a number of really great community things over the past few days, some with religious leanings but all there to support. St John's was opened, Streetwork have been out, the Bethany Trust have, Social Bite focused on feeding homeless people more this week and a cafe in Mayfield Road was giving away free teas and coffees to homeless people.

hibsbollah
04-03-2018, 09:39 AM
It can happen to anyone, they deserve our help :aok:

Leithenhibby
04-03-2018, 11:29 AM

:top marks

Good work Sir.

Greencore
04-03-2018, 11:34 AM
I never give homeless people money due to the fact IF they have any form of addiction, giving them money could tempt them and taunt them into wanting their addiction. I always make sure I give them a hot drink, water, sandwich and chocolate and I either sit down with them and talk with them or leave them in peace. I've actually spoke to one before and ended up paying for a hostel for the night for him. Some of these people really need help. They don't deserve half the crap they get.

truehibernian
04-03-2018, 11:48 AM
I never give homeless people money due to the fact IF they have any form of addiction, giving them money could tempt them and taunt them into wanting their addiction. I always make sure I give them a hot drink, water, sandwich and chocolate and I either sit down with them and talk with them or leave them in peace. I've actually spoke to one before and ended up paying for a hostel for the night for him. Some of these people really need help. They don't deserve half the crap they get.

I heard a humorous story last week from a girl who works at the Crown Office. She was walking to work and saw a particularly forlorn homeless guy outside a Sainsbury's so she offered to buy him a sandwich. Lo and behold she went in to buy said sandwich and a few minutes later she felt a tap on the shoulder..............it was said homeless guy with a hand basket with mince, carrots, dolmio and spaghetti with him asking could he also have these :faf: she bought him the contents of the basket and the sandwich meal deal :greengrin

I think when you see the incredible weather we have just had, any little gesture is worth it - whether its money, food or the offer of accommodation. The homeless guy who begs near where I stay has more manners and courtesy than many of the young folk that live in the area. You never know their story but it's a horrible thing to be homeless and/or having to beg for an existence.

One Day Soon
04-03-2018, 11:54 AM
Great idea. I support Streetwork and they do a lot too. There's been a number of really great community things over the past few days, some with religious leanings but all there to support. St John's was opened, Streetwork have been out, the Bethany Trust have, Social Bite focused on feeding homeless people more this week and a cafe in Mayfield Road was giving away free teas and coffees to homeless people.

I worked in this field for some years and the one thing you can say with certainty is that you cannot eliminate homelessness - unless you have a magical way of ending relationship breakdown, drug addiction, alcoholism, unemployment, mental health problems and many, many other things that can happen to literally anyone no matter how rich or poor.

You can address rooflessness however and that's where the kinds of organisations you mentioned in your post come in. There's a really important gap between a homeless person and permanent housing and it is most often best filled by the Third Sector rather than the state because of their ability to be more flexible, more available at the point of need and to be regarded as more trusted. Their work in helping get people bridge from the point of becoming homeless back into a safer life and a home is critical.

So if you can donate to any of these bodies, or volunteer for a while, it has a huge impact. Not saying don't buy a homeless person a hot drink, food or even clothing but these agencies are the front line of effective intervention.

Pretty Boy
04-03-2018, 12:02 PM
I used to chat to a guy called Darren who sat at the top of the steps coming out of Waverley for a few years. He became quite famous for all the wrong reasons recently when he sadly passed away quite suddenly.

I get the train to work once of twice a week and always let on to him asked how he was doing and gave him a couple of pound or a cup of coffee or something. He was a decent guy in a horrible situation. A couple of organisations tried to help him over the period he was on the street but for whatever reason he wasn't ready for it. Some of the comments I heard aimed at him, and others, were shameful. A hell of a lot of people are only a family row, a couple of missed paychecks or another similar crisis away from a potentially similar situation.

Bostonhibby
04-03-2018, 12:05 PM
I usually give something but it tends not to be cash. There's one guy who is usually outside our local shopping centre that the wife and I talk with and give to as I know he's genuinely in trouble.

True story- He gave us a laugh just before Xmas. We spoke to him and gave him some cash and were surprised when he said brilliant I've got enough, would you mind watching my pitch for 5 minutes as others have been muscling in on it.

He was going to buy a prepaid phone to ring his family but whilst he was away we were left standing with his bags, blankets and sign. The experience ranged from looks of concern from the passing shoppers to folk actually still putting down money. Now I'm never the best turned out when dragged out shopping but the wife didn't look too bad.

He was gone 20 minutes.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Its a well known fact that come the end of the day all these folk begging go to a place out of sight and are picked up by a guy in a Rolls Royce. At least that's what my mum used to tell me :greengrin

snooky
04-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Once I was in charge of some minor work to the facade of a church. It was winter so I was wearing an old parka. Part of my job was to ensure pedestrians walked around the work. As a result, I approached them with my arms out pointing them to the safe route. One lady stopped, gave me 50p and walked on. I was left speechless. :embarrass

Sauzee16
04-03-2018, 12:26 PM
I’m sure unless you have an addiction then anyone can get a homeless hostel room from Edinburgh council? I may be wrong but that certainly was the case a few years ago. Maybe these guys don’t know this?

BroxburnHibee
04-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Its a well known fact that come the end of the day all these folk begging go to a place out of sight and are picked up by a guy in a Rolls Royce. At least that's what my mum used to tell me :greengrin

I've seen some of them lift there stuff and jump in taxis in the middle of the night. Must have had a good night.

Jack Hackett
04-03-2018, 12:35 PM
It's the chancers who get up my nose. There was a guy working the concourse of Brighton station last week who 'just needs a pound' to make his fare home. Brighton people must be mean as f*** though, because he was there Mon to Fri at the same time with the same spiel. Brighton has a serious amount of rough sleepers, and I'll give to those obviously in need, but guys like him do them no favours

andyf5
04-03-2018, 12:46 PM
the guy at Superdrug is on Google streetview as he has been there for years. No taxis or mansions for him. The average life expectancy is 47 if sleeping rough. I dont normally give cash as they might spend it on alcohol and support streetwork instead. It was so cold yesterday I didnt care what he spent it on...

CentreLine
04-03-2018, 12:47 PM
Love the fact that there has recently been much greater recognition of the genuine plight of homeless people. Sometimes society does have a heart. Have to confess it took me a while to lose my prejudice but always happy to acknowledge people in that dreadful situation now. There really is nobody in that situation by choice

heidtheba
04-03-2018, 01:00 PM
Love the fact that there has recently been much greater recognition of the genuine plight of homeless people. Sometimes society does have a heart. Have to confess it took me a while to lose my prejudice but always happy to acknowledge people in that dreadful situation now. There really is nobody in that situation by choice

I was the same. I remember walking past a guy who was homeless and using a smartphone. I didn't say anything but, for a brief moment, was positively indignant. Fortunately I thought there might be more to this and googled it. I can't find it now but one guy was interviewed in a newspaper and he said that his two biggest things to use his donated money for were;

1/ a gym membership
2/ a smartphone

The smartphone let him communicate with people on an equal footing. Social media etc, he wasn't judged as much there as in 'reality'. The gym membership meant he could shower whenever he wanted to.

I was very humbled by this. I think so many people have a prejudice, realising it is a massive step in the right direction.

One Day Soon
04-03-2018, 01:11 PM
It's the chancers who get up my nose. There was a guy working the concourse of Brighton station last week who 'just needs a pound' to make his fare home. Brighton people must be mean as f*** though, because he was there Mon to Fri at the same time with the same spiel. Brighton has a serious amount of rough sleepers, and I'll give to those obviously in need, but guys like him do them no favours

Ok, but there are chancers in very walk of life. Boardrooms, unions, NHS, emergency services, universities, even .net!

Not many people would choose homelessness, rough sleeping or street begging as first preference. Trust me, the chancers are a tiny percentage of homeless people.