PDA

View Full Version : Peter Marinello

Ozyhibby
03-03-2018, 10:07 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/interview-peter-marinello-on-going-from-logie-green-road-to-london-s-bright-lights-and-the-culture-of-70s-football-1-4699858/amp?__twitter_impression=true
Interesting read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moulin Yarns
03-03-2018, 10:32 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/interview-peter-marinello-on-going-from-logie-green-road-to-london-s-bright-lights-and-the-culture-of-70s-football-1-4699858/amp?__twitter_impression=true
Interesting read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was indeed. I was at school with his neighbour and it seemed strange that this 'superstar' lived in a semi in Logie Green.

Lago
03-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Never really achieved his potential. Left ER too soon & got caught up in the swinging London hype.

southsider
03-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Never really achieved his potential. Left ER too soon & got caught up in the swinging London hype.

We played him at I pox with no. 9 on his back and Joe McBride no. 7. Peter ran them ragged and we won 3_1. By all accounts it should have been 6. Hibs in those days always sold our best players. Was crestfallen when he left but not in tears like I was when Colin Stein was sold.

CentreLine
03-03-2018, 10:54 AM
We played him at I pox with no. 9 on his back and Joe McBride no. 7. Peter ran them ragged and we won 3_1. By all accounts it should have been 6. Hibs in those days always sold our best players. Was crestfallen when he left but not in tears like I was when Colin Stein was sold.

You and me both. I think the Colin Stein departure softened us up for the future departures. Never felt that bad again until Jimmy O’Rourke was sold to make too for the wee fat bloke

Smartie
03-03-2018, 11:02 AM

I bet he had his fair share of fun along the way though.

snooky
03-03-2018, 11:58 AM
I bet he had his fair share of fun along the way though.

Aye, a-la Bestie's quote re. wine, women & song and wasting the rest of it.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-03-2018, 12:04 PM
Aye, a-la Bestie's quote re. wine, women & song and wasting the rest of it.

True, but he also had a paltry medal haul for a player of his ability.

Depends on priorities i suppose, but if i had the talent he had, id like to think my legacy would be what i did and won at fitba - not how i wasted my career, ****ged some women and abused a donated liver.

snooky
03-03-2018, 12:07 PM

Depends on priorities i suppose, but if i had the talent he had, id like to think my legacy would be what i did and won at fitba - not how i wasted my career, ****ged some women and abused a donated liver.

:agree: The answers right there. Each to his own.

iwasthere1972
03-03-2018, 12:07 PM

I was there that day. Brilliant day as well.

Golden Bear
03-03-2018, 12:20 PM
I first seen him play when he featured in a Hibs Colts team which played in the East of Scotland League. Even in these very early days of his career it was obvious he was destined for great things.

ancient hibee
03-03-2018, 12:22 PM
I knew Willie Macfarlane and met him on the day Marinello was sold.He was jubilant and said he’d just taken Arsenal for £100000 and that Hibs had seen the best of him.Willie was a good manager and a good judge of players but wouldn’t kowtow t Tom Hart.

eastterrace
03-03-2018, 01:29 PM
I was there that day. Brilliant day as well.

Was there to , we were superb that day especially marinello .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hiber-nation
03-03-2018, 01:42 PM
I knew Willie Macfarlane and met him on the day Marinello was sold.He was jubilant and said he’d just taken Arsenal for £100000 and that Hibs had seen the best of him.Willie was a good manager and a good judge of players but wouldn’t kowtow t Tom Hart.

Trouble was with Peter, he couldn't cross a ball. Amazing dribbler though and my boyhood hero.

WoreTheGreen
03-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Played with Peter at junior level but was done, but a sound guy

heretoday
03-03-2018, 02:49 PM
He used to play three-and-in with his mates in the park on his days off. You would be unlikely to see such a thing now.

WoreTheGreen
03-03-2018, 02:52 PM
He used to play three-and-in with his mates in the park on his days off. You would be unlikely to see such a thing now.

Score 3 and you didn’t have to be golie?

where'stheslope
03-03-2018, 03:04 PM
He was dubbed the Scottish George Best when he left, but he never reached the true potential he should have.
Still he was a great player to watch, and many a Scottish defender were glad to see him leave!!!

Hibbykk
03-03-2018, 03:27 PM
It was not unusual to see Gordon McQueen on his way back from visiting his parents, playing in a 20-a-side game at Kilbirnie public park with good suit jacket chucked on the ground, suitcase dumped before heading for the train back south.

heretoday
03-03-2018, 04:25 PM
It was not unusual to see Gordon McQueen on his way back from visiting his parents, playing in a 20-a-side game at Kilbirnie public park with good suit jacket chucked on the ground, suitcase dumped before heading for the train back south.

I love stories like that. What was it Bill Shankly said? Natural enthusiasm - you're nothing without it!

pacorosssco
03-03-2018, 11:33 PM

Having read his book he's hard to like and it maybe all came too fast for him but proves talent alone isn't enough

pacorosssco
03-03-2018, 11:38 PM
Having read his book he's hard to like and it maybe all came too fast for him but proves talent alone isn't enough

Some great players with few medals also. Not always reflective of career. Shearer. Lineker .