PDA

View Full Version : Dundee ban the Daily Record

we are hibs
03-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Dundee just released a statement after a headline this morning saying Dundee are on the brink of real financial difficulty. Dundee saying it's made up pish and have banned them from dens park.

good to see a club standing up for themselves, wish we'd done the same rather than inviting their "journalists" to our training centre.

SirDavidsNapper
03-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Dundee just released a statement after a headline this morning saying Dundee are on the brink of real financial difficulty. Dundee saying it's made up pish and have banned them from dens park.

good to see a club standing up for themselves, wish we'd done the same rather than inviting their "journalists" to our training centre.

Well done Dundee. We should have done it after 21/5/16

Keith_M
03-03-2018, 09:36 AM

Imagine if the DR had falsely claimed their Fans had assaulted every single member of The Rangers first team.

CorrieHibs
03-03-2018, 09:51 AM
Well played Dundee. Hats off. Wish we had taken that stand against the DR.

ben johnson
03-03-2018, 09:57 AM
Well played Dundee. Hats off. Wish we had taken that stand against the DR.

I dont think LD is the burning her bridges type of person. When she moves on from Hibs she may very well need the Record in her new post.

Jones28
03-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Did NL not ban a paper after his spat with Jim Duffy last season?

LancsHibs
03-03-2018, 10:09 AM
I dont think LD is the burning her bridges type of person. When she moves on from Hibs she may very well need the Record in her new post.

Don’t really care about her future career when she leaves Hibs or how cosey her relationship with the Daily Record, the right thing to have done was tell them to bolt, demand a printed apology and make it clear they were not welcome at ER until it was done.

bookert
03-03-2018, 10:10 AM
Did NL not ban a paper after his spat with Jim Duffy last season?

The sun journalist Robert Martin. Although they made up again fairly quickly.

green day
03-03-2018, 10:16 AM

Thats what my initial reaction was too - however with hindsight, I think how we played things post 21/5/16 was spot on.

Many (most?) people thought we and Sevco would get absolutely hammered for the pitch invasion etc.

LD and our board dealt with it really well, kept fairly quiet - didnt react to the media provocation and did their work behind the scenes - and the outcome for us was as good as we could have expected.

ben johnson
03-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Don’t really care about her future career when she leaves Hibs or how cosey her relationship with the Daily Record, the right thing to have done was tell them to bolt, demand a printed apology and make it clear they were not welcome at ER until it was done.

Thats what i would have like to have happened.

LD would rather have them in the tent urinating out than outside the tent urinating in.

Ozyhibby
03-03-2018, 10:24 AM
As fans it’s good to know that if there are problems behind the scenes at Easter Road, papers like the Record will not be slow to let us know.
Better to be in that situation than being a Rangers fan and the Record constantly telling you all is well and then your club dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
03-03-2018, 10:26 AM

Correct.

Let me remind everyone who thinks we should still tolerate this pathetic excuse of a newspaper of just what they printed about our club in the immediate aftermath of the cup final. Disgusting, blatant lies which to this day they have still not had the decency to retract or apologise for.

You better believe we should ban them from Easter Road. Well done Dundee.

Moulin Yarns
03-03-2018, 10:30 AM
The financial statement

http://dundeefc.co.uk/news/dundee-fc-financial-statements-year-ended-31-may-2017/

The 'record'

Dundee announce worrying £350,000 loss and plead with fans to help boost cash flowThe club are now relying on a new SPFL broadcast deal being agreed to help them break even.

Dundee have announced losses of more than £350,000 - and urged fans to back the board until a new TV deal can help them break even.
Financial figures through to the end of May 2017 released show the club are still being bankrolled by powerbrokers John Nelms and Tim Keyes - with the pair throwing in another £785,000 to take their overall investment to almost £1.3m.
The Dens Park club admit they are sweating on a new SPFL (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/scottish-professional-football-league) broadcast deal due to be nailed down next summer to balance the books - but urged punters to make up the shortfall.

Chiefs are looking to add an extra 1000 on the gate for every home game to avoid slashing boss Neil McCann (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/neil-mccann) ’s summer budget.
A Dark Blues statement said: “The company expect to make additional losses in the current year and in each of the subsequent years until a new TV deal generates more money for all the clubs in the SPFL.
“The size of these losses will depend on on-field success and the level of support from fans. The club can currently bank on a core home support of around 3,500 and an increase of 1,000 is a target that would put the club essentially into a break-even position.”

Dundee (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/dundee-fc) revealed a £4m turnover but the cash from Nelms and Keyes is still required to keep the club ticking over.
A share issue is set to take their investment to £1.5m and give the pair a 75 percent stake in the club - and allow them to push ahead with plans for a new stadium.

The board have backed McCann and insist the Dark Blues have a bright future.
The statement said: “The club believe they underperformed in the 2016/17 season, failing to make the top six.
“The change in managers in 2017, has brought a change in the style of play.
"This necessarily meant the changing of playing personnel and this brings with it costs of an enlarged playing squad.
“It is hoped the size of the first-team squad can be reduced next season. The directors believe continuity in the management of the club is the route to success.
“On a more positive note the club are reaping benefits from its academy.
"The development squad is now providing a supply of players to the first team, something which has not been available to us for a number of years.
“The results of the development squad have been good and the quality of the other academy teams continues to improve.

“The club has also been unlucky with a number of players suffering serious injury ruling them out of action for prolonged periods.
“This position is one over which we have no control but the number and severity of the injuries brings with it costs both in treatments but as importantly in additional wages for replacement players.
“The club have the commitment of its major shareholder that funding is available to us until we moved to new stadium and beyond and they provide a vital lifeline to ensure a viable and successful football club.”

and the statement

http://dundeefc.co.uk/news/club-statement-17/

hibsbollah
03-03-2018, 10:34 AM
Correct.

Let me remind everyone who thinks we should still tolerate this pathetic excuse of a newspaper of just what they printed about our club in the immediate aftermath of the cup final. Disgusting, blatant lies which to this day they have still not had the decency to retract or apologise for.

:agree:
And while I am immensely grateful to Dempster for what she's done for our club, Im disappointed with how shes responded to the post cup final drivel from Rangers and the DR, and the whole newco issue. We've been spineless.

neil7908
03-03-2018, 10:34 AM

LD would rather have them in the tent urinating out than outside the tent urinating in.

Not really sure that analogy works though as they clearly don't regret what they they printed after the cup final and I'm sure would have no qualms doing so again.

The bottom line is they know their readership and target audience and will always tow the company line. They couldn't care less about us and a few wee nice interviews by Hibs ain't going change that.

All credit to Dundee.

Bostonhibby
03-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Correct.

Yep, this is where I am on our dealings with this rag.

Not really sure that analogy works though as they clearly don't regret what they they printed after the cup final and I'm sure would have no qualms doing so again.

The bottom line is they know their readership and target audience and will always tow the company line. They couldn't care less about us and a few wee nice interviews by Hibs ain't going change that.

All credit to Dundee.

:aok: Have the team formerly known as Glasgow rangers got a game against Dundee coming up?

ben johnson
03-03-2018, 10:40 AM

All credit to Dundee.

The point was she wont be in our tent for the whole of her career

lucky
03-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Imagine if the DR had falsely claimed their Fans had assaulted every single member of The Rangers first team.

TBF, All news outlets ran with Rangers version of events

Sauzee16
03-03-2018, 11:20 AM
:agree:
And while I am immensely grateful to Dempster for what she's done for our club, Im disappointed with how shes responded to the post cup final drivel from Rangers and the DR, and the whole newco issue. We've been spineless.

We kept it quiet because we had to. The club could have gotten in a lot more trouble that it did to be honest. Petrie and his job with the SFA will have known exactly how to play it.

InchHibby
03-03-2018, 11:26 AM
I banned it from my house along with that other weegie rag years ago. The sooner the two of them go out the box the better, can’t be too far away now. Well done Dundee.

Pete
03-03-2018, 11:30 AM
We should tell the Record AND the Scottish Sun to gtf.

snooky
03-03-2018, 12:02 PM

It's about integrity. I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if her motives (or lack of) were as you suggest.

kaimendhibs
03-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Correct.

20284Should be banned for that Alone

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

marinello59
03-03-2018, 12:10 PM
You can’t simply ban the press/media because you don’t like what they print. If you don’t like what the Record publishes don’t buy it. I haven’t picked up a copy for years, I only ever know what’s in it because others buy it or click on their site then moan about it on here. :greengrin

ancient hibee
03-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Football gets unlimited free advertising from the popular press and will not look a gift horse in the mouth.

Sauzee16
03-03-2018, 12:17 PM
It's about integrity. I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if her motives (or lack of) were as you suggest.

We kept our integrity and it got us a lesser charge in the grand scheme of things.

Mikey
03-03-2018, 12:26 PM

Seriously? You don't actually believe that do you?

Smartie
03-03-2018, 12:30 PM
We kept our integrity and it got us a lesser charge in the grand scheme of things.

Integrity AND dignity.

It would have been easy to go all Sevco and start throwing s***e in all directions.

I think we allowed Sevco to make fools of themselves, and the credible followers of Scottish football will have known exactly what went on.

snooky
03-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Integrity AND dignity.

It would have been easy to go all Sevco and start throwing s***e in all directions.

I think we allowed Sevco to make fools of themselves, and the credible followers of Scottish football will have known exactly what went on.

:agree: Silence can sometimes be a stronger weapon.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Not being naive but if a newspaper prints lies and you are adversely impacted by them you surely don't ban them? You hold them to account and sue for damages?

Kato
03-03-2018, 12:40 PM

Fair enough reasoning. Sadly when you let them in your tent they tend to urinate and defecate everywhere whilst singing the sash and telling everyone you keep a filthy, sectarian tent.

wallpaperman
03-03-2018, 12:40 PM
You can’t simply ban the press/media because you don’t like what they print. If you don’t like what the Record publishes don’t buy it. I haven’t picked up a copy for years, I only ever know what’s in it because others buy it or click on their site then moan about it on here. :greengrin

Of course you can. You can ban anyone from entering your property for any reason you like. Pubs can refuse to serve someone without any reason that you or me find reasonable.

A football club can withdraw permission for a newspaper to report from its premises, the paper is just another commercial business at the end of the day.

Kato
03-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Not being naive but if a newspaper prints lies and you are adversely impacted by them you surely don't ban them? You hold them to account and sue for damages?

The slyest paper on the planet. Full of stories containing the phrase "a source claims". Lets them off the hook every time.

lyonhibs
03-03-2018, 01:11 PM
Integrity AND dignity.

Exactly what happened. LD and RP played a blinder after the cup final. Quite delighted that we kept schtum whilst Jabba Traynor lost his marbles.

Stonewall
03-03-2018, 01:11 PM
Responding to the Record's lies in the aftermath of the final is exactly what Rangers were wanting us to do. I'm amazed that people don't seem to understand that if you're in a war it's probably a bad idea to do what your enemy is wanting you to do.

Banning them is pointless, and wouldn't change what they write or bring any benefits to us. We all know they are basically a mouthpiece for Rangers and make things up, so don't buy it and don't read it.

Sir David Gray
03-03-2018, 01:15 PM

It's not a case of just not liking what they print though.

What they printed in the aftermath of 21/05/16 was blatant lies and a smear campaign against our club and its supporters. Baseless claims that they have never been able to back up with any shred of evidence and, like I said earlier, they have never had the decency to offer any kind of apology or made any attempt to retract their accusations.

The media has a responsibility to report the truth and the facts and I'm all for having the freedom of the press in this country. What they can't do is just make things up and tell lies about people and pass it off as fact. You are correct in saying that sometimes people may not like the truth being printed about them but that's a totally different situation to the one our club found itself in with regards to the Daily Record after the cup final.

I'm Spartacus
03-03-2018, 01:55 PM

Yes you can, and like others have said, we should have done it after the SCF. Nothing but a dirty, lying, **** of a rag, who only exist to suck of everything SevCo.

Crazyhorse
03-03-2018, 02:14 PM
The point was she wont be in our tent for the whole of her career

So what? This is about the misrepresentation of Hibernian Football Club.

Joe6-2
03-03-2018, 02:15 PM

Yes we bloody should have, still makes my blood boil. Well done Dundee

Billy Whizz
03-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Article seemingly written by a journalist, on his last day at the DR

WoreTheGreen
03-03-2018, 02:50 PM

New job at sevco?

CropleyWasGod
03-03-2018, 02:56 PM

It's interesting that Dundee's statement only refers to the headline, and not the substance of the article itself.

I know, of course, that the DR readership probably rely on the headline only.... however, it does suggest that that club have no issue with the article.

snooky
03-03-2018, 02:59 PM
It's interesting that Dundee's statement only refers to the headline, and not the substance of the article itself.

I know, of course, that the DR readership probably rely on the headline only.... however, it does suggest that that club have no issue with the article.

For the benefit of any guest DR readers on this thread, the "headline" is part with the big, big letters on the front page.

Sauzee16
03-03-2018, 03:03 PM
Integrity AND dignity.

I totally agree.

CraigHibee
03-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Exactly what happened. LD and RP played a blinder after the cup final. Quite delighted that we kept schtum whilst Jabba The Hun lost his marbles.

Fixed that for you ;)

Bostonhibby
03-03-2018, 03:05 PM

Journalist? ?

Hah. You nearly had me for a minute there.

southsider
03-03-2018, 03:09 PM
Stayed in Glasgow after Cup Final and was waiting outside the Co-op at 7am to get the newspapers. Gutted to read bulsh*t that was written especially the Sunday Mail. Never bought it since.

Onion
03-03-2018, 03:21 PM
Correct.

Why should we expect anything else ? Their paymasters are thousands of Huns and this FAKE NEWS was designed to enrage, take their minds off their humiliating defeat. Fact it was an historic, sensational victory for the much pilloried Hibernian made no difference. We spoiled their party !

Take last weekend, when an unfancied Scotland took apart the mighty, all-conquering, unbeatable England in the 6 Nations - when the media had spent the week licking their lips at the inevitable Championship decider between England and Ireland. There was scant coverage of the historic Scots win on the Sunday, the BBC Breakfast presenters looked like they were in mourning, but we could hardly see them for the elephant in the room. That was until poor sensitive Eddie Jones was subjected to some hash and hurtful words on a train to Manchester. He was physically and verbally abused and spent 3 days in hospital, getting much more coverage than anything the Scots win had commanded. It was pathetic, but again aimed at soothing the pain of the 45 million down South.

ronaldo7
03-03-2018, 04:15 PM

I'm sure The Rangers banned Chris McLaughlin from Ibrox and the BBC have decided not to send anyone to report on matches since.

Maybe he hit a raw nerve with some of the knuckle draggers.

Moulin Yarns
03-03-2018, 04:34 PM
I'm sure The Rangers banned Chris McLaughlin from Ibrox and the BBC have decided not to send anyone to report on matches since.

Maybe he hit a raw nerve with some of the knuckle draggers.

I agree with the BBC not sending reporters but they still report on the games. I would prefer if they ignored them totally.

Is It On....
03-03-2018, 04:43 PM
The financial statement

http://dundeefc.co.uk/news/dundee-fc-financial-statements-year-ended-31-may-2017/

The 'record'

Dundee announce worrying £350,000 loss and plead with fans to help boost cash flowThe club are now relying on a new SPFL broadcast deal being agreed to help them break even.

Dundee have announced losses of more than £350,000 - and urged fans to back the board until a new TV deal can help them break even.
Financial figures through to the end of May 2017 released show the club are still being bankrolled by powerbrokers John Nelms and Tim Keyes - with the pair throwing in another £785,000 to take their overall investment to almost £1.3m.
The Dens Park club admit they are sweating on a new SPFL (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/scottish-professional-football-league) broadcast deal due to be nailed down next summer to balance the books - but urged punters to make up the shortfall.

Chiefs are looking to add an extra 1000 on the gate for every home game to avoid slashing boss Neil McCann (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/neil-mccann) ’s summer budget.
A Dark Blues statement said: “The company expect to make additional losses in the current year and in each of the subsequent years until a new TV deal generates more money for all the clubs in the SPFL.
“The size of these losses will depend on on-field success and the level of support from fans. The club can currently bank on a core home support of around 3,500 and an increase of 1,000 is a target that would put the club essentially into a break-even position.”

Dundee (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/dundee-fc) revealed a £4m turnover but the cash from Nelms and Keyes is still required to keep the club ticking over.
A share issue is set to take their investment to £1.5m and give the pair a 75 percent stake in the club - and allow them to push ahead with plans for a new stadium.

The statement said: “The club believe they underperformed in the 2016/17 season, failing to make the top six.
"This necessarily meant the changing of playing personnel and this brings with it costs of an enlarged playing squad.
“It is hoped the size of the first-team squad can be reduced next season. The directors believe continuity in the management of the club is the route to success.
"The development squad is now providing a supply of players to the first team, something which has not been available to us for a number of years.
“The results of the development squad have been good and the quality of the other academy teams continues to improve.

“The club has also been unlucky with a number of players suffering serious injury ruling them out of action for prolonged periods.
“This position is one over which we have no control but the number and severity of the injuries brings with it costs both in treatments but as importantly in additional wages for replacement players.
“The club have the commitment of its major shareholder that funding is available to us until we moved to new stadium and beyond and they provide a vital lifeline to ensure a viable and successful football club.”

and the statement

Wonder when they will be doing a similar article on The Rangers. Awful, awful paper.

ancient hibee
03-03-2018, 04:46 PM
Why should we expect anything else ? Their paymasters are thousands of Huns and this FAKE NEWS was designed to enrage, take their minds off their humiliating defeat. Fact it was an historic, sensational victory for the much pilloried Hibernian made no difference. We spoiled their party !

Take last weekend, when an unfancied Scotland took apart the mighty, all-conquering, unbeatable England in the 6 Nations - when the media had spent the week licking their lips at the inevitable Championship decider between England and Ireland. There was scant coverage of the historic Scots win on the Sunday, the BBC Breakfast presenters looked like they were in mourning, but we could hardly see them for the elephant in the room. That was until poor sensitive Eddie Jones was subjected to some hash and hurtful words on a train to Manchester. He was physically and verbally abused and spent 3 days in hospital, getting much more coverage than anything the Scots win had commanded. It was pathetic, but again aimed at soothing the pain of the 45 million down South.

What a load of tosh.There was pages of coverage and praise.To say there was more coverage of the riffraff is complete nonsense.

Hi Heid Yin
03-03-2018, 04:51 PM

Ditto:agree::agree:

Pretty Boy
03-03-2018, 05:32 PM
With a 14% downturn in sales in the last 2 years it's the Record which is 'on the brink'.

If folk stopped clicking on their website to get outraged about what they are saying you could hasten it's demise if that's your ultimate wish.

Sir David Gray
03-03-2018, 05:39 PM
With a 14% downturn in sales in the last 2 years it's the Record which is 'on the brink'.

If folk stopped clicking on their website to get outraged about what they are saying you could hasten it's demise if that's your ultimate wish.

Correct. I have only clicked on one of their articles a handful of times since the cup final and all of them have been accidents after I clicked on them before realising which site I was accessing.

weecounty hibby
03-03-2018, 05:41 PM
I haven't bought a sun, record Sunday mail in probably 20 years, they are completely at odds with my footballing and political thinking. They blatantly lie to suit their own agenda on both. Don't get upset by what they print, help to put them out of business by not buying them.

Jim44
03-03-2018, 05:52 PM
I agree with the BBC not sending reporters but they still report on the games. I would prefer if they ignored them totally.

Their ‘stand’ against Sevco is no more than pathetic posturing. If they really wanted to make a statement they could make a better job of it.

One Day Soon
03-03-2018, 06:05 PM

What a ludicrous post. The ****wits who treated Eddie Jones the way they did were an embarrassment to Scotland.

One Day Soon
03-03-2018, 06:11 PM
Exactly what happened. LD and RP played a blinder after the cup final. Quite delighted that we kept schtum whilst Jabba Traynor lost his marbles.

Totally correct.

I was angry about it at the time and still am, but wiser heads played it perfectly. We won the cup and pretty much showed a clean pair of heels on the pitch invasion stuff while The Rangers made utter, utter fools of themselves.

There's enough pointless gesturing in politics without bringing it into our game/club too. Rather than banning one paper it would be much cleverer strategy to make sure that we spread the interviews, exclusives and leaks about Hibernian around a range of media platforms. Whatever maximises our coverage basically.

One Day
03-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Correct.

Should have been banned

JimBHibees
03-03-2018, 11:01 PM
What a ludicrous post. The ****wits who treated Eddie Jones the way they did were an embarrassment to Scotland.

It is actually true in terms of the jones incident getting much more coverage than the actual match by BBC in the days after the match.

Greenfly
03-03-2018, 11:22 PM

No problem with first paragraph but 2nd para is complete nonsense. English papers were full of Scotland's win - lots of analysis - some of it pretty cathartic - but everything I saw fully recognised that Scotland deserved the win. The treatment of Eddie Jones was a total cringe - racism basically - and no one should be subject to that kind of abuse whatever their nationality. It shouldn't be sensationalised but it shouldn't be trivialised either.

As for gutter tabloids including DR, what do folk expect? They've always had their own pondlife agendas. The answer isn't to ban but to boycott. Just don't buy them!

pacorosssco
03-03-2018, 11:23 PM

I Agree only in that they knew to push back would see bigger drive to punish us. Petrie had his sfa hat on. LD smart enough to know we had to take on chin as couldnt jeopardise potential stripping of trophey. ***** but true.

Baader
03-03-2018, 11:40 PM

Poor stuff re Eddie Jones. Have you seen the footage? Guy was decent enough to pose for pictures with two clowns who then turn and start acting the big men when their mates arrive. Seen similar with Neil Lennon getting abuse whilst out in public. Maybe you condone that too...

majorhibs
04-03-2018, 12:12 AM
Such naïveté on here at times regarding press, all the just don’t this that etc, cast minds a little wider, continental Europe even, all you steadfast solid never since boycotters don’t exactly sway the minds of neutrals with passing interest, if this is what’s reported mainstream Scotland, then that’s whats getting picked up by the mainland continental football enthusiast, whats out there right now is that Hibs fans are absolute bat**** crazy & destroy all around them when their team wins, & the poor wee zombies are persecuted put upon victims, especially so after Hibs destroyed everything when winning the Scottish Cup & ruining zombies fairytale. That’s what I get when discussing Hibs over the channel in Western Europe, but all you boycotters of the daily rangers etc rest assured your boycott is having a huge effect. Not!

pacorosssco
04-03-2018, 12:22 AM
Poor stuff re Eddie Jones. Have you seen the footage? Guy was decent enough to pose for pictures with two clowns who then turn and start acting the big men when their mates arrive. Seen similar with Neil Lennon getting abuse whilst out in public. Maybe you condone that too...
It was poor yes no need for yes but in context this hasn't happened to Scottish players managers.two wrongs not right but report both.

NZ Green
04-03-2018, 01:13 AM
To be fair they did get battered. Then their dreams of a Scottish Cup win were spat on.

Also the only legacy from the game I've seen from neutrals was the rendition of Sunshine on Leith. Everyone knows these papers talk pish.

basehibby
04-03-2018, 04:18 AM
Thats what my initial reaction was too - however with hindsight, I think how we played things post 21/5/16 was spot on.

Many (most?) people thought we and Sevco would get absolutely hammered for the pitch invasion etc.

LD and our board dealt with it really well, kept fairly quiet - didnt react to the media provocation and did their work behind the scenes - and the outcome for us was as good as we could have expected.

Agreed - regardless of the ridiculous Traynor inspired pomposity spouted by Rangers after the cup final - and the Record's unsurprising delight in wallowing in it - there was still a very serious crowd disorder incident to be dealt with from the Hibs perspective - even if as a club there was no direct responsibility whatsoever for the pitch invasion or any part of the crowd management on the day.

I thought that everyone involved with Hibs managed themselves superbly - on the day and in the aftermath - never rising to the bait, they concentrated on what mattered - our glorious cup victory and celebrating it in style for the big Hibee family we all are - while fully cooperating with the SFA, the polis and anyone else who actually mattered, in the background in any way they could.

Dundee's situation is different - they haven't got a cup victory to bask in and I can well understand their frustration at a key element of the Scottish media basically sniping at them for the sake of a cheap headline. On reading the background, it's clear that the owners have an optimistic outlook while trying to impress on their fanbase that they can easily speed up their recovery by turning up in numbers - the Record though, apparently not content with this cautiously positive story, spin it into a tale of impending doom.

Nothing surprising there really though - cheap headline grabbing hacks in sensationalism shock! While I wholeheartedly agree with the Dee's decision to ban the Record, for me I'd counsel them to just do it til the end of the season with a sort of probationary warning. Football Clubs need publicity and, until they (hopefully) go out of business, the Daily Record is part of that publicity machine. they are the only tabloid competition in Scotland to the Sun - a paper who, although their sports reporting is pretty good, continue on a wider level to be a ****my rag of the highest order.

lapsedhibee
04-03-2018, 08:44 AM
Agreed - regardless of the ridiculous Traynor inspired pomposity spouted by Rangers after the cup final - and the Record's unsurprising delight in wallowing in it - there was still a very serious crowd disorder incident to be dealt with from the Hibs perspective - even if as a club there was no direct responsibility whatsoever for the pitch invasion or any part of the crowd management on the day.

Do you mean the Thes fans coming on to the pitch, or something else?

Kavinho
04-03-2018, 09:56 AM
The financial statement

The 'record'

and the statement

Looks like I'm going against the grain here, but that article highlights a trading loss, a possible debt for equity intention and that their major shareholders investments are "vital" and required to keep the club going. It also had lots of quotes taken directly from the financial statement.

It appears to me that Dundee are a bit ratty about the headlines, and have taken particular issue with "on the brink".

Fair enough they aren't quite on the brink, but tabloids do sendationalise.

Not many clubs who've used a dfe scheme have been the epitomy of strong and stable.

I don't think the article is that far off, and the Dundee exec are overly sensitive

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

CropleyWasGod
04-03-2018, 09:59 AM
Looks like I'm gong against the grain here, but that article highlights a trading loss, a possible debt for equity intention and that their major shareholders investments are "vital" and
And required to keep the club going. It also had lots of quotes taken directly from the financial statement.

It appears to me that Dundee are a bit ratty about the headlines, and have taken particular issue with "on the brink".

Fair enough they aren't quite on the brink, but tabloids do sendationalise.

Not many clubs who've used a dfe scheme have been the epitomy of strong and stable.

I don't think the article is that far off, and the Dundee exec are overly sensitive

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.That's my take on it.

The Dundee statement complains about the headline, but not the piece itself. That suggests that the article, which in itself is not that surprising or damning, is substantially accurate.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Keith_M
04-03-2018, 10:14 AM
So, are Dundee in financial trouble or are they not?

If they are, and the DR are right to report it, then will they be making us as aware of what other Clubs/Companies might be in similar trouble?

Treadstone
04-03-2018, 10:25 AM
So, are Dundee in financial trouble or are they not?

If they are, and the DR are right to report it, then will they be making us as aware of what other Clubs/Companies might be in similar trouble?

Had to laugh. All is barry on twitter "losses like this can't be sustained". Put me back in a place pre ad-yam-istration when he replied to a Hibby (metalchappie) with this cracker.
@jj_bruce Plenty research & nothing hints at impending trouble for #Hearts. Club know cuts still needed. Tks for telling me how to do my job.

Allisbarry February 2013

https://twitter.com/BarryAnderson_/status/302353330175356929?s=19

heid the baw
04-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Anyone who reads this rag, let alone buys it, is a moron in my book.
I won't even look at their online stories. As far as I am concerned they can print what they want. Getting upset by the Record is akin to taking umbrage with Take a Break or the National Enquirer

SirDavidsNapper
04-03-2018, 10:52 AM
The Daily Record needs shut down. Simple as that. Still fuming at the slanderous bitter lies of May 16

vuefrom1875
04-03-2018, 11:38 AM
The Daily Record needs shut down. Simple as that. Still fuming at the slanderous bitter lies of May 16

No need to shut down. With their falling readership and circulation it could only be a matter of time. "Hoisted by their own petard"