PDA

View Full Version : Owen Coyle Quits.

Thecat23
01-03-2018, 06:05 PM
Owen Coyle has left Ross County. Was it him that said he was to good to manage in Scotland?

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Pretty spineless decision unless there are personals that have not come out yet.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Pretty spineless decision unless there are personals that have not come out yet.

Bizarre timing, unless it’s for family reasons

stantonhibby
01-03-2018, 06:12 PM
Bizarre timing, unless it’s for family reasons

Or had something else lined up.

Sauzee16
01-03-2018, 06:13 PM
I would expect that to be the end of his managerial career. John Hughes to save the day?

guthrie01
01-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Sure he was tipped to come to us before Stubbs arrived

Thank god Leeann made the right choice, mans a relegation expert

Pretty Boy
01-03-2018, 06:16 PM
I was perusing a Ross County forum after they signed Fontaine and a fair few wanted him out.

He’s not exactly been a roaring success with his 4 wins giving him an 18.2% win percentage.

Sacking Jim McIntyre after he brought them their 1st major trophy was knee jerk at it’s worst. They have a good set up in place there but panicked and are seeing the effects now.

LancsHibs
01-03-2018, 06:16 PM
Wow his managerial record is truely horrendous!

WoreTheGreen
01-03-2018, 06:17 PM
I would expect that to be the end of his managerial career. John Hughes to save the day?

Yeah can see that

Jones28
01-03-2018, 06:18 PM
He was awful - County deserve to go down after sacking JM

Pretty Boy
01-03-2018, 06:19 PM

Can Hughes risk it? Another relegation on his CV leaves him close to the unemployable tag being slapped on him.

WoreTheGreen
01-03-2018, 06:22 PM
Can Hughes risk it? Another relegation on his CV leaves him close to the unemployable tag being slapped on him.

Is he not that at the moment

WoreTheGreen
01-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Any odds on new guy?

guthrie01
01-03-2018, 06:24 PM

I think Hughes could save them, he done well at ICT and county have a decent enough team who are capable of avoiding the drop. Just needs the right manager to come in and get them motivated enough to grind out the results.

Thecat23
01-03-2018, 06:26 PM

I think whoever comes in faces a huge task. Hughes may well fancy it though.

Baader
01-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Coyle's managerial career really has tanked.

bingo70
Hope Stubbs gets it, if he wants it.

He’s a good manager and i think he needs to get back in work soon, imo this would be a good opportunity for him.

hibsbollah
I quite like the Staggies. I'd rather have Hamilton relegated.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Robbie Neilson maybe?

pacoluna
01-03-2018, 06:30 PM

He’s a good manager and i think he needs to get back in work soon, imo this would be a good opportunity for him.

He turned down Dundee united, very much doubt he would take on county.

Sir David Gray
01-03-2018, 06:31 PM
I quite like the Staggies. I'd rather have Hamilton relegated.

Me too. I quite enjoy a trip to the Highlands.

I would prefer it if Ross County stayed up.

vuefrom1875
01-03-2018, 06:32 PM
Owen Coyle has left Ross County. Was it him that said he was to good to manage in Scotland?

Strange appointment from the outset.

JimBHibees
01-03-2018, 06:34 PM
Seems a strange one. Assume must be something personal.

My_Wife_Camille
01-03-2018, 06:34 PM
Peter Houston:cb

Pretty Boy
01-03-2018, 06:36 PM

A record of 4 wins, 5 draws and 13 losses has probably played a part.

J-C
01-03-2018, 06:36 PM

Or he can't hack the fact he's crap at his job, so jumps before being pushed.

Stevie Reid
01-03-2018, 06:40 PM
No sympathy for County. McIntyre worked miracles there, and was sacked after his first bad spell, was only about six games I think.

bingo70
01-03-2018, 06:47 PM
He turned down Dundee united, very much doubt he would take on county.

Did he? I thought they chose laszlo instead but can’t say I paid that much attention.

Sounds like Dundee Utd are a bit of a shambles at board level so don’t blame him for knocking them back if he did.

Thecat23
01-03-2018, 06:49 PM
Did he? I thought they chose laszlo instead but can’t say I paid that much attention.

Sounds like Dundee Utd are a bit of a shambles at board level so don’t blame him for knocking them back if he did.

100% was offered it and he turned them down.

JimBHibees
01-03-2018, 06:49 PM
A record of 4 wins, 5 draws and 13 losses has probably played a part.

Suppose so still strange for him to bail out.

theonlywayisup
01-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Don't think that Roy McGregor is going to watch his team get relegated without a fight. The Coyle appointment hasn't had the effect he was hoping for.

I hope they turn it around and it's Hamilton that go down.

Thecat23
01-03-2018, 06:55 PM
I’d love Hamilton to drop. Horrible club with a horrible owner. Ross County is a trek but I’ve nothing against them.

500miles
01-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Fonts for interim manager?

WhileTheChief..
01-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Ha, the same Owen Coyle, who when Celtic were after him, scoffed at the notion of a return to Scottish football!

Not so easy is it Owen? What next for you, a top EPL side?:na na:

Houston is a good call for a replacement. Hughes won’t go out of some kinda boiler suit loyalty to ICT.

Lago
01-03-2018, 07:35 PM
His family are based in England, just like Strachan, McGee & Mcliesh. They only take jobs in Scotland when nothing else is available.

Stevie Reid
01-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Parallels between them sacking McIntyre, and St. Mirren letting Danny Lennon go after they won the League Cup and had their highest ever SPL finish under him.

Looks like it will end the same way.

Greencore
01-03-2018, 07:41 PM
I wanted him for the hibs job a few years ago lol.

Stantons Angel
01-03-2018, 07:41 PM
I think Hughes could save them, he done well at ICT and county have a decent enough team who are capable of avoiding the drop. Just needs the right manager to come in and get them motivated enough to grind out the results.

he is a motivator but sometimes shouting and bawling at people doesnt get the message over.

they let him down badly after they won the cup by not giving him the money to buy new players. hence him leaving?

he will certainly have a soft spot for the club but idont know if he will want to go back?

bingo70
01-03-2018, 07:49 PM
Don't think that Roy McGregor is going to watch his team get relegated without a fight. The Coyle appointment hasn't had the effect he was hoping for.

There was an interview with him on the bt sports Scottish football show and it was really strange as he kept going on about Celtic.

I gathered from that interview he was involved in some way in the Fergus McCann deal to buy Celtic but his affection seemed a bit over the top.

Hamilton are a bit of a pain in the arse as a club but to be fair to them they bring through a lot of young players and seem to try and run their club properly.

Jones28
01-03-2018, 07:51 PM
I wanted him for the hibs job a few years ago lol.

I don't think anyone would have argued against it a few years ago tbf

greenlex
01-03-2018, 08:04 PM
There was an interview with him on the bt sports Scottish football show and it was really strange as he kept going on about Celtic.

I gathered from that interview he was involved in some way in the Fergus McCann deal to buy Celtic but his affection seemed a bit over the top.

Hamilton are a bit of a pain in the arse as a club but to be fair to them they bring through a lot of young players and seem to try and run their club properly.

Hs wife was Fergus’ lawyer when he bought Celtic I think. McGrgor used the same solicitors firm for business deals.

Thecat23
01-03-2018, 08:12 PM

If you include brown envelopes under the table and the owner being involved with Glasgow gangsters then yeah it’s well run!!

WoreTheGreen
01-03-2018, 08:19 PM
If you include brown envelopes under the table and the owner being involved with Glasgow gangsters then yeah it’s well run!!

Why not use white envelopes and plod would be non the wiser

Thecat23
01-03-2018, 08:21 PM
Why not use white envelopes and plod would be non the wiser

Now that’s a good question!!

WoreTheGreen
01-03-2018, 08:29 PM
Now that’s a good question!!

Another tip never go into a cafe and confess all when at the next table is a guy kidding on he’s reading a paper

hibbyfraelibby
01-03-2018, 10:42 PM
Fonts for interim manager?

That was my immediate thought. Hes a leader

Diclonius
01-03-2018, 10:43 PM
I like County; well run club that fully deserve their current success. A trip to the Highlands is a nice change too. Hope Hamilton go down.

theonlywayisup
01-03-2018, 11:00 PM
Hs wife was Fergus’ lawyer when he bought Celtic I think. McGrgor used the same solicitors firm for business deals.

Your post confused me - who's wife were you talking about.

Think the story is that it was Roy's lawyer who became Fergus McCann's wife.

“I really like Fergus,” he said.

“He is a good pal, who taught me a lot of what I know about the football industry.

“You have to get under the bunnet to know him, and he doesn’t let people do that lightly. That is his character.

“Once you do, though, you find he is a funny guy.

“I was there with him in March, 1994 on the day he stopped Celtic going to the wall.

“We met in Glasgow at the office of my lawyer, Elspeth Campbell, who was later to become his wife.

“I was down in the city buying a business myself. As I remember it, I got mine at five to five. He got his about two minutes to five.

“A couple of minutes later, and it would have been too late for them. Celtic would have been bankrupt.

Sauzee16
01-03-2018, 11:04 PM

He’s a tough guy and has belief. He will more than take that job. He turned down the Dundee Utd job mind you. If Jimmy Calderwood is well enough and I hope so perhaps him.

Sauzee16
01-03-2018, 11:05 PM
I like County; well run club that fully deserve their current success. A trip to the Highlands is a nice change too. Hope Hamilton go down.

Hamilton are a much better ran club than Ross County. They have no sugar daddy either.

CA Hibby
01-03-2018, 11:35 PM
I don't think anyone would have argued against it a few years ago tbf

I would have...lol...seen what he did to an above average MLS team in Houston. Turned them from playing ok football and winning to awful very quickly

majorhibs
02-03-2018, 12:03 AM
I would have...lol...seen what he did to an above average MLS team in Houston. Turned them from playing ok football and winning to awful very quickly

Seen Houston get skelped by Dallas under him too. But think the time in question was before Coyle was at Houston, when he still looked like he had something.

BoltonHibee
02-03-2018, 12:11 AM

I know what the statement says, but he was actually sacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TelaStella
02-03-2018, 01:18 AM
Amazing to think it wasn't that long ago he was doing not to bad in the premier league with Burnley before jumping to Bolton (I think)? Sure he was in line for the Celtic job before Rodgers got it anaw, crazy. I won't pretend I'm an admirer of Ross County, never really liked them or the fact they've punched so far above their own weight for a few years now. However given our own legend Fonts has just moved there I will wish them all the best of luck in staying up, can't see it though. Also agree that sacking JM was their biggest mistake.

monktonharp
02-03-2018, 01:42 AM
with all this talk about who was manager, who recently opted out as, and who was punted from Ross County , I have to say that lots of the names mentioned were all people involved with stopping my team from being in finals through totally negative fitba' or sheer luck on their part as well as being involved in stopping us from becoming the first team outwith the OF from winning a double for a long long time. I despise Mc Intyre for his actions against us in the semi final(s) against the Pars. he was a conniving diving rodent that was so lucky to get away with his actions in both those games.

JimBHibees
02-03-2018, 07:17 AM

Brilliant line. :greengrin

One Day
02-03-2018, 08:21 AM

Do we know this for a fact, and if so how?

Ardenttwo
02-03-2018, 08:50 AM

Cannoe see Stubbs wanting to come to Dingwall which is just not much bigger than a village right up in the Highlands Coyle could not be further away from his family who are still living in England same as Stubbs family and certainly a huge culture change playing in front of 2,000 fans most games

IWasThere2016
02-03-2018, 09:14 AM

Correct. I can hazard a guess at your source - and he will know.

If it was personal etc.. Sandy Stewart would have stayed.

As likeable as OC is - he must be finished now.

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2018, 09:24 AM

Has he been doing a bad job Moray, apart from whenever they play us, i couldn't tell you any of their results?

Has he fallen out with the owner?

Remember and give us a heads up on who the new manager will be. :wink:

Aritch
02-03-2018, 09:38 AM
Coyle's win ratio has got progressively worse at every club he's been at (barring a very slight uptick at Houston Dynamo). I'm struggling to think of other managers who've gone on such a downward spiral.

Falkirk 63.2%
St Johnstone 51.4%
Burnley 42.2%
Bolton 33.3%
Wigan 30.4%
Houston 32.7%
Blackburn 29.7%
Ross County 18.2%

Sir David Gray
02-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Coyle's win ratio has got progressively worse at every club he's been at (barring a very slight uptick at Houston Dynamo). I'm struggling to think of other managers who've gone on such a downward spiral.

Falkirk 63.2%
St Johnstone 51.4%
Burnley 42.2%
Bolton 33.3%
Wigan 30.4%
Houston 32.7%
Blackburn 29.7%
Ross County 18.2%

To be fair he was coming from a very high starting point. It could really only get worse from the record he had at Falkirk and even St Johnstone to an extent. I would expect a decent manager to be somewhere between his record at Bolton and Burnley. A good manager would probably be just above the Burnley record.

GaryOsCheerios
02-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Member when Coyle was Arsene Wengers heir apparent?

I member

deek
02-03-2018, 11:03 AM

Was it no Billy Davies that said that outrageous comment?

Viva_Palmeiras
02-03-2018, 11:10 AM
To be fair he was coming from a very high starting point. It could really only get worse from the record he had at Falkirk and even St Johnstone to an extent. I would expect a decent manager to be somewhere between his record at Bolton and Burnley. A good manager would probably be just above the Burnley record.

Don’t know the answer to this but has he misjudged and taken on poisoned chalices repeatedly? What were his predecessors stats in these roles?
The win ratios for some of our managers probably wouldn’t make great reason - probably not as grim as this mind...

eastmainsmsh
02-03-2018, 11:13 AM
since burnley its been downhill

Famous Fiver
02-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Roy McGregor is getting through some cash.

Must be costing him a fortune to try and keep his village (pop. circa 5,000) team in the Premier League.

Just as well he's not got a new 400,000 seater stand (with castle views but no ladies loos) to redevelop.

snooky
02-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Roy McGregor is getting through some cash.

Must be costing him a fortune to try and keep his village (pop. circa 5,000) team in the Premier League.

Just as well he's not got a new 400,000 seater stand (with castle views but no ladies loos) to redevelop.
Ironically, a few folk in that stadium you speak of have a similar view to Roy - in that they have one goal in sight. :whistle:

highland hibbee
03-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Ironically, a few folk in that stadium you speak of have a similar view to Roy - in that they have one goal in sight. :whistle:

aye , but Roy has some cash. A very wealthy man. Very wealthy man indeed.

snooky
03-03-2018, 04:10 PM
aye , but Roy has some cash. A very wealthy man. Very wealthy man indeed.

We may have a wee 'whoosh' here, HH. ("One goal in sight" <---:cool2:)

highland hibbee
03-03-2018, 04:18 PM
We may have a wee 'whoosh' here, HH. ("One goal in sight" <---:cool2:)

ha ha indeed.

Seems Oweny bhoy was finding it hard with his wife and family still down south. Not half as hard as the County fans were finding his lack of results I suspect.

Thecat23
03-03-2018, 04:19 PM

Ah maybe it was.

Is It On....
03-03-2018, 04:31 PM

Amazing the contrast in fortunes between Killie and RC since Clarke and Coyle were appointed.

Is It On....
03-03-2018, 04:35 PM

There was a great critique on Davies by a Forest fan when Sevco were apparently interested in him. The summary was the man is poison..which I would have thought made him a perfect fit for Sevco 😂😂

snooky
03-03-2018, 04:49 PM
Amazing the contrast in fortunes between Killie and RC since Clarke and Coyle were appointed.

To be fair, some things click a somethings don't. There's no guarantees.
Both teams could possibly be in the same position had Clark gone to Ross Co. & Coyle to Killie.
We'll never know though.