PDA

View Full Version : 60 years ago today Joe Baker's four goals at Tynecastle

Tom Hart RIP
01-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Only saw the great man when he came back but what a player.

https://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2018/03/sixty-years-ago-today-17-year-old-joe-baker-scored-four-at-tynecastle/

hhibs
01-03-2018, 12:50 PM

https://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2018/03/sixty-years-ago-today-17-year-old-joe-baker-scored-four-at-tynecastle/

So true ,a superb footballer and a truly nice man.

Bostonhibby
01-03-2018, 12:52 PM

https://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2018/03/sixty-years-ago-today-17-year-old-joe-baker-scored-four-at-tynecastle/Me too. Proper Hibs legend.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

BS44
01-03-2018, 01:13 PM
Best player my old boy has seen play for Hibs. Pretty sure he was at the 4 3 game too.

01-03-2018, 01:21 PM

I attended the game and my old man was a Jambo!!
I am 3 years younger than Joe and he was my absolute hero when I was that age.
I was fortunate enough to meet him at a dinner in Edinburgh in his honour once he had finished playing and had fallen on tougher times and can confirm he was an absolute gent.

southsider
01-03-2018, 01:45 PM
I attended the game and my old man was a Jambo!!
I am 3 years younger than Joe and he was my absolute hero when I was that age.
I was fortunate enough to meet him at a dinner in Edinburgh in his honour once he had finished playing and had fallen on tougher times and can confirm he was an absolute gent.

Will never forget Joe kissing the pitch at H o H at ER.

Famous Fiver
01-03-2018, 01:57 PM
One of the most important moments in the history of Hibernian Football Club.

Never, ever forget that.

southsider
01-03-2018, 02:48 PM
One of the most important moments in the history of Hibernian Football Club.

Never, ever forget that.

iMHO the West stand should be named after Joe.

ancient hibee
01-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Joe was the first player I felt was in my age group and not a grown up.When I told him this years later he wondered if he’d ever really grown up.

monarch
01-03-2018, 04:05 PM
Can remember the day vividly as a nine year old. Joe was superb. Only 17 years old scoring 4 goals against the team that went on to win the league that season. Goalkeeper Lawrie Leslie was also superb and I remember the Hibs fans invading the field at the end and carrying him off the pitch. The original act of exuberance!

My dad treated us to centre stand tickets for the game. Football special train from the old Piershill station to Gorgie East. Fish suppers on way home ( too young for a beer!). Great days.

brog
01-03-2018, 05:30 PM
Can remember the day vividly as a nine year old. Joe was superb. Only 17 years old scoring 4 goals against the team that went on to win the league that season. Goalkeeper Lawrie Leslie was also superb and I remember the Hibs fans invading the field at the end and carrying him off the pitch. The original act of exuberance!

My dad treated us to centre stand tickets for the game. Football special train from the old Piershill station to Gorgie East. Fish suppers on way home ( too young for a beer!). Great days.

Great memories. Yams conceded 11 league goals at home all that season & 17 year old Joe scored 4 in 90 minutes. Great player, great guy.

Lago
01-03-2018, 05:59 PM
If the term 'Hibs legend' applies to anyone it is Joe Baker, The Baker Boy.:agree:

One Day
01-03-2018, 07:18 PM

Great read, love the goalie getting carried of shoulder high by the Hibs fans at the end

esjorto
01-03-2018, 07:18 PM
I was in the RAF stationed in Dunfermline. Hibs were supposed to get a real drubbing that day. Instead I went up to see Pars v Huns, also in the Cup.To this day it is the biggest regret of my life. I saw so many games when this young phenomenon played for us. If anyone looks at his statsyou will see it was overwhelming. In one season with Hibs he played in 37 league games and scored 42 goals; never took a penalty or a free kick from outside the box. A certain Mr. Turnbull did that. Also his record with Arsenal - reached 100 goals in fewer games than some guy called Thierry Henry. Met him just once and he was a better human being than a football player. Here come the tears!!

theonlywayisup
01-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Didn't realise that he was close to being a World Cup winner.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Baker

thebakerboy
01-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Joe was my greatest football hero , I was 10 when he scored the 4 , he told me he punched one of the goals and didnt head it , not sure if that was just a story for a star struck laddie. We used to wait for the players to come out after games and he was just brilliant even bringing us badges from away matches in Europe from the likes of Barca and Roma.

heretoday
01-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Jaunty Joe.

MGmick
01-03-2018, 11:43 PM
He was one of my Dads heroes but my memory of him coming back in his white boots and destroying Bobby Clark's shut out record slips him up there alongside my Tornado heroes. He wisnae too bad at all. IMHO his participation in the HoH rally on top of his achievements on the park,cemented his entitlement to a place in our front page headline history.

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2018, 12:05 AM
"Joe Baker and his 10 donuts" my sex offender Jambo uncle would jauntily exclaim as the police led him away from the school gates.

cabbageandribs1875
02-03-2018, 12:15 AM
the East should be named the joe baker stand :agree:

or the baker brothers stand :wink: Armadales' most famous footballer

Jim44
02-03-2018, 12:16 AM
My favourite all time Hibs player. It sounds a bit daft, but he was instrumental in my choice of career. As a 12 year old, I drew a portrait of Joe, which, by all accounts, brought an artistic side of me to the fore and I eventually went on to study art and became an art teacher for the rest of my working life. I don’t know what happened to that drawing but it’s effect on my life was unforgettable. It also sparked a life-long love of Hibs, with all the pleasure and grief that goes with that territory.

heretoday
03-03-2018, 04:39 PM
"Joe Baker and his 10 donuts" my sex offender Jambo uncle would jauntily exclaim as the police led him away from the school gates.

Brilliant.