PDA

View Full Version : Reserve league to return.

greenpaper55
01-03-2018, 10:51 AM
From the Scotsman https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/spfl-development-league-to-be-scrapped-and-reserve-league-to-return-1-4698762

Diclonius
01-03-2018, 10:58 AM
Great news.

HFCdeb
01-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Brilliant news I think? Not an expert but from what I've read and seen so far, a reserves league will do much more for youngsters than playing each other over and over.

hibbysam
01-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Brilliant news I think? Not an expert but from what I've read and seen so far, a reserves league will do much more for youngsters than playing each other over and over.

Can’t see how it will make any difference. Clubs could play 5 players at the moment, and many chose not to fill that quota. Clubs don’t have the money to buy players to sit in a reserve side.

Nakedmanoncrack
01-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Can’t see how it will make any difference. Clubs could play 5 players at the moment, and many chose not to fill that quota. Clubs don’t have the money to buy players to sit in a reserve side.

:agree:
Just a name change.

HFCdeb
01-03-2018, 11:53 AM

Oh well, will just have to see how it pans out.

basehibby
01-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Can’t see how it will make any difference. Clubs could play 5 players at the moment, and many chose not to fill that quota. MOST Clubs don’t have the money to buy players to sit in a reserve side.

Fixed that for you. It will make a difference to some sides who choose not to invest in youth. As you point out it won't make much difference to Hibs who have a strong youth set up, while the 5 senior players allowance has usually been plenty enough to give our dormant first teamers a run out. I would imagine it's the likes of the Celgers and Rantic who will benefit from this as it fits in nicely with their traditional policy of buying up all the best players from the competition only to play them in the reserves.

So - overall a bad thing I would say.

Encourage widespread investment in young players - FAIL
Incentivise the OF to buy up Scottish talent only to let them rot in the reserves - SUCCESS

hibbysam
01-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Fixed that for you. It will make a difference to some sides who choose not to invest in youth. As you point out it won't make much difference to Hibs who have a strong youth set up, while the 5 senior players allowance has usually been plenty enough to give our dormant first teamers a run out. I would imagine it's the likes of the Celgers and Rantic who will benefit from this as it fits in nicely with their traditional policy of buying up all the best players from the competition only to play them in the reserves.

So - overall a bad thing I would say.

Encourage widespread investment in young players - FAIL
Incentivise the OF to buy up Scottish talent only to let them rot in the reserves - SUCCESS

Yeah that was more my point, itll essentially still be a youth league with a couple of overage players making up the numbers (coming back from injury, out of favour etc) but with a name change. Youth pliers aren’t suddenly going to be up against a team full of first teamers. That’s what the challenge cup is meant to be for.

Thecat23
01-03-2018, 01:26 PM
About time as well. The jump from the development team to first team football is to big for most. This way they will get used to playing against better players who are stronger and will learn how to deal with it better.

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Hahahaha, can you see us filling the reserve team with 11 better and stronger players, no me neither.

Its just a change of name, where we will do exactly as we do now in bringing youth through with a few older players either coming back from injury or suspension.

B.H.F.C
01-03-2018, 02:05 PM
About time as well. The jump from the development team to first team football is to big for most. This way they will get used to playing against better players who are stronger and will learn how to deal with it better.

Not sure this will make that big a difference in terms of bridging the gap to be honest.

I don’t think clubs carry big enough squads these days and can see team being largely filled with young players anyway.

hibbysam
01-03-2018, 02:08 PM
Hahahaha, can you see us filling the reserve team with 11 better and stronger players, no me neither.

Its just a change of name, where we will do exactly as we do now in bringing youth through with a few older players either coming back from injury or suspension.

As will 9 other top flight sides. If these clubs didn’t still play majority of youth players then the supposed ‘pro’s’ of this change would be incorrect. Youth players can’t progress further if they go from playing 20-30 youth games to 10 reserve games because big 33 year old Johnny has come and taken his place. Celtic youth players play in their ‘UEFA youth league’ and rangers don’t play in the league anyway, so it’s only those two that will benefit from this change.

ancient hibee
01-03-2018, 02:19 PM
If you are correct in saying that it will benefit the OF because they will be able to have more experienced players to play then it will also benefit the other clubs less experienced players to play against them which is the whole point surely.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Great news.

Is it?

hibbysam
01-03-2018, 02:29 PM
If you are correct in saying that it will benefit the OF because they will be able to have more experienced players to play then it will also benefit the other clubs less experienced players to play against them which is the whole point surely.

Yes, because the gap at first team level getting wider and wider is wholly beneficial to the rest of us again.

greenlex
01-03-2018, 02:30 PM
I think it will be an improvement. Some of the pros on the fringes of first team squad might not be so precious about playing reserve team football rather than under 20 development games. Just a name but I reckon it will make a difference.

Thecat23
01-03-2018, 02:32 PM
I think it will be an improvement. Some of the pros on the fringes of first team squad might not be so precious about playing reserve team football rather than under 20 development games. Just a name but I reckon it will make a difference.

Yep, that’s how I see it. There will be more fringe players playing which will be a good thing.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Yep, that’s how I see it. There will be more fringe players playing which will be a good thing.

And less up and coming players
Where do they fit into this model?

Hibs4185
01-03-2018, 02:39 PM
I’m sure in Spain they have barelona A etc playing in the lowest division. I think this would be an amazing idea so the youngsters play against far more experienced guys and get competitive football under their belts.

maybe stop the A teams getting as high as the championship but have them playing in the Petrofac cup or whatever it’s called nowadays.

Id imagine it would also create revenue as I would definitely go and watch a Hibs A in an important game whilst I would never really think of going to a reserve game unless it was against hearts or something.

hibbysam
01-03-2018, 02:41 PM
I’m sure in Spain they have barelona A etc playing in the lowest division. I think this would be an amazing idea so the youngsters play against far more experienced guys and get competitive football under their belts.

maybe stop the A teams getting as high as the championship but have them playing in the Petrofac cup or whatever it’s called nowadays.

Id imagine it would also create revenue as I would definitely go and watch a Hibs A in an important game whilst I would never really think of going to a reserve game unless it was against hearts or something.

We already have our ‘colts’ teams playing in the challenge cup.

Thecat23
01-03-2018, 02:51 PM
And less up and coming players
Where do they fit into this model?

As it stands Billy not enough are making it, I feel this could help them playing against more first team players. Worst comes to worst let a few out on loan.

J-C
01-03-2018, 03:10 PM
If there's more of a mix in players like the old reserve league used to be then good but as already been mentioned, clubs can already play overage players in the development league, so no real difference then. At the moment teams tend to play mostly youngsters and the occasional over aged player, if youngsters are going to be up against older more experienced players on a regular basis then it can only be good for their development.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2018, 03:15 PM
If there's more of a mix in players like the old reserve league used to be then good but as already been mentioned, clubs can already play overage players in the development league, so no real difference then. At the moment teams tend to play mostly youngsters and the occasional over aged player, if youngsters are going to be up against older more experienced players on a regular basis then it can only be good for their development.
Only if teams use their experienced players

Hibs tend to play maybe 1/2 max overage players, and mostly when they are coming back from injury
Most clubs don’t have the squad size to carry too many players now

J-C
01-03-2018, 03:21 PM
Only if teams use their experienced players

Hibs tend to play maybe 1/2 max overage players, and mostly when they are coming back from injury
Most clubs don’t have the squad size to carry too many players now

This was an afterthought from me too Billy, we and most teams don't have big squads anymore, unlike the older days when we had very few youths and youngsters coming into the squads, most players back then were in their early 20's when they played 1st team level, times have changed. It's not now unusual to see lads at 18/19 playing regularly in the 1st team as club have to keep tight budgets, our own McGinn was a St Mirren regular at that age.

Mibbes Aye
01-03-2018, 10:37 PM

Have to agree. I used to try and make it to the reserves and then tried to make it to the dev team. The reserves felt like a harder leap but the dev guys got good run-outs against feisty teams from the likes of the Borders where they learned the hard end of a crunching tackle.

Very few players can bridge the gap, you’re right. Being honest, if they’re good enough, most will be showing already - Hanlon and Stevenson had debuted before eighteen I think.

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2018, 11:36 PM
I can see us busting the budget to bring in some rough old pros just to help the reserve team out and hinder the youngsters.

TelaStella
02-03-2018, 12:11 AM
Glad to hear this. I've noticed a lot of the former top pros arguing for this change for a while now, hopefully it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Glad to hear this. I've noticed a lot of the former top pros arguing for this change for a while now, hopefully it makes a difference.

In what way will it make a difference, are all the other clubs plus us going to bring in more players to fill this reserve team?

Where are we getting the budget for this if it were to happen?

We currently do put players coming back from injury into what we currently have.

What will happen to the younger players now, who cant get a game in the reserves because we've filled it with older ones, and would the budget for youth development be cut to fund the extra reserve players we'd need?

Thecat23
02-03-2018, 09:21 AM

Yep been a few who’ve said it will benefit having it back. Means fringe players could be playing more along with players returning from injury. The youth will be mixed in and we may find a few going out on loan which also isn’t a bad thing!

Either way I think it’ll be good for the game.

snooky
02-03-2018, 09:26 AM
IMO scrapping the reserve league was one of the worst things that ever happened to Scottish football. It will be great to see it return. A step in the right direction for sure.

J-C
02-03-2018, 09:44 AM
In what way will it make a difference, are all the other clubs plus us going to bring in more players to fill this reserve team?

Where are we getting the budget for this if it were to happen?

We currently do put players coming back from injury into what we currently have.

What will happen to the younger players now, who cant get a game in the reserves because we've filled it with older ones, and would the budget for youth development be cut to fund the extra reserve players we'd need?

At the moment the Development team is just that with an occasional 1st team player getting a game when they come back from injury. In a reserve team the players who were either not in the match day squad or didn't get on the pitch will play in the reserves. So after Aberdeen's game last week we could see Bell, Porteous Rherras, Bartley, Swanson, Murray, Shaw and if they were coming back fro injury Slivka, Barker, Gray and Whittaker all needing match sharpness, that's a full team of 1st team players.

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2018, 09:52 AM
At the moment the Development team is just that with an occasional 1st team player getting a game when they come back from injury. In a reserve team the players who were either not in the match day squad or didn't get on the pitch will play in the reserves. So after Aberdeen's game last week we could see Bell, Porteous Rherras, Bartley, Swanson, Murray, Shaw and if they were coming back fro injury Slivka, Barker, Gray and Whittaker all needing match sharpness, that's a full team of 1st team players.

Where are the youngsters going to play and get their experience in that team? :wink: I know what you are saying, but its more expense and the kids will find themselves further down the pecking order with less chance of kicking on.

If its a case of playing one or two older heads, we can do that already with the development team :confused:

J-C
02-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Where are the youngsters going to play and get their experience in that team? :wink: I know what you are saying, but its more expense and the kids will find themselves further down the pecking order with less chance of kicking on.

If its a case of playing one or two older heads, we can do that already with the development team :confused:

Out of those players only 5-6 would probably play as some are still injured and others play regularly in the 1st team either as starters or subs. The old reserve teams were always older players with the odd youngster in there for the experience, you'll find a new youth league will probably be set up to accommodate the youngsters not yet ready for the step up, the reserve team was always for 1st team players with a sprinkling of youth.

Also playing 1-2 senior players in the development team doesn't really help the senior players as they're up against a bunch of youngsters, reserve football aids both senior and development players as it'll be more competitive.

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2018, 10:23 AM
Out of those players only 5-6 would probably play as some are still injured and others play regularly in the 1st team either as starters or subs. The old reserve teams were always older players with the odd youngster in there for the experience, you'll find a new youth league will probably be set up to accommodate the youngsters not yet ready for the step up, the reserve team was always for 1st team players with a sprinkling of youth.

Also playing 1-2 senior players in the development team doesn't really help the senior players as they're up against a bunch of youngsters, reserve football aids both senior and development players as it'll be more competitive.

I doubt any of what you say above will come to fruition, and thats all before we count in the cost. I think we will just continue to see whats going on now, and all that will change is the name of the league.

HibernianJK
02-03-2018, 10:30 AM
I can see us busting the budget to bring in some rough old pros just to help the reserve team out and hinder the youngsters.

I find it unlikely we do that. But if we do, why can’t the do both? Help youngsters and bolster reserve squad?

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2018, 11:53 AM
I find it unlikely we do that. But if we do, why can’t the do both? Help youngsters and bolster reserve squad?

We could do both, but there will be a cost to this. I personally think we will continue to do exactly the same as we do now, there may be the odd game where we play more than one or two, but the only clubs this will really help is the obvious 2 in the west.

They are the ones who are able to bring in more quality and extra bodies. The upside for me is they will release more and more kids who wont break through early enough for them, but may improve later.

offshorehibby
02-03-2018, 12:26 PM
I can't see much changing from a Hibs point of view. Our U20's will become the reserve team.

heretoday
02-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Oldsters will remember reports in The Pink.

Third Lanark 'A' v Hibs 'A' - O'Rourke corner from the right led to goal by TRIALIST. Dog on pitch caused delay.

ancient hibee
02-03-2018, 01:15 PM
The season Joe Baker scored his record number of goals Jock Buchanan scored even more for the reserves.There was a lot of entertainment at ER then.

hibbyfraelibby
02-03-2018, 03:09 PM
If we are going back to a Reserve league then there is maybe a need to enter a "Colts" team in the East of Scotland or Lowland League as in the old days.

One Day
02-03-2018, 04:24 PM
The season Joe Baker scored his record number of goals Jock Buchanan scored even more for the reserves.There was a lot of entertainment at ER then.

I seem remember some decent crowds at reserve games especially if a 1st team player was coming back from injury

killie-hibby
02-03-2018, 05:06 PM
If we are going back to a Reserve league then there is maybe a need to enter a "Colts" team in the East of Scotland or Lowland League as in the old days.

I seem remember some decent crowds at reserve games especially if a 1st team player was coming back from injury

Those were the days. It was in the late 50's I was at a reserve game, Hibs v Queen of the South,crowd 8000+. A few years later IIRC we struggled to get 5/6000 at 1st team games. Recently people moan when a couple of hundred seats are empty in the F5 stand.Just imagine what ER was like with 59000 empty spaces.Hard to believe,but it's true.

SirDavidsNapper
02-03-2018, 05:15 PM
About time

ancient hibee
02-03-2018, 05:27 PM

Hibs used to "let it be known" that Gordon Smith might return in the reserve team on Saturday.He never did of course-only played for the reserves once very late in his career.

Iggy Pope
02-03-2018, 07:01 PM
Oldsters will remember reports in The Pink.

Third Lanark 'A' v Hibs 'A' - O'Rourke corner from the right led to goal by TRIALIST. Dog on pitch caused delay.

Took me a while as a fledgling to realise that there weren't lots of Newmans in the wee team.

One Day
03-03-2018, 06:45 AM
Hibs used to "let it be known" that Gordon Smith might return in the reserve team on Saturday.He never did of course-only played for the reserves once very late in his career.

Good move though bet that added thousands

heretoday
03-03-2018, 03:34 PM
Took me a while as a fledgling to realise that there weren't lots of Newmans in the wee team.

Brilliant. I'm old enough to remember when there was a Green 'Un - The Dispatch.

I used to think it was for Hibees and The Pink was for Jam Tarts!

Forza Fred
04-03-2018, 02:11 AM
IMO scrapping the reserve league was one of the worst things that ever happened to Scottish football. It will be great to see it return. A step in the right direction for sure.

I can remember the days when there were calls for reserve teams to contain a mandatory number of young players.......bit like flared trousers......they will eventually come back, but Be criticised.

Don’t think there is a barrier to playing returning players just now......and clubs certainly aren’t going to sign players to have the best reserve team in the league.....so as far as I can see....mostly just a name change.