PDA

View Full Version : Beast from the East

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

BILLYHIBS
26-02-2018, 10:14 AM
Just wondering if the game will be on on Wednesday if the forecast -6 degree temperatures and snowdrifts hit ???

AltheHibby
26-02-2018, 10:47 AM
I saw the title and thought it was about Rix. 😁

BegbieHSC
26-02-2018, 11:11 AM
I saw STV suggest it could be under threat.

Would be surprised if it got called off. City heat tends to subdue really heavy snow in Edinburgh to an extent(2010 aside), and I'm sure we have decent undersoil heating.

EH6 Hibby
26-02-2018, 11:16 AM

Would be surprised if it got called off. City heat tends to subdue really heavy snow in Edinburgh to an extent(2010 aside), and I'm sure we have decent undersoil heating.

They have to take the safety of people traveling from Hamilton into account though. If the met office warns against non essential travel, they may have to call it off.

Sir David Gray
26-02-2018, 11:20 AM
If the amber warning stays in place until Wednesday they may have a decision to make.

I personally think it will be on though.

lucky
26-02-2018, 11:22 AM
The pitch will be fine but the surrounding roads and streets might not be. They should also consider fan comfort, if it’s going to be as cold as they say sitting outside in -10 to -15 is not going to be very pleasant

Stewboy
26-02-2018, 11:23 AM
They have to take the safety of people traveling from Hamilton into account though. If the met office warns against non essential travel, they may have to call it off.

Could maybe arrange a helicopter for the 5 or 6 of them?

Aim Here
26-02-2018, 11:23 AM

Seems a bit off given the numbers we're talking about. They could just drive the midweek mid-blizzard Hamilton Academicals support over to Edinburgh in the passenger seat of the gritter...

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2018, 11:26 AM
If its to be as bad as they say some of us are going to have a difficult decision to make. Plenty of folk travel from outside Edinburgh to watch Hibs and like me a few will be thinking twice if this time it means driving through 6 inch deep snow, especially at night.

Both Hibs and Hamilton have a free weekend .... it seems utterly sensible to me to move this game to then. I went into the Hamilton official site and interestingly it lists their next game as away to Hibs on Saturday the 3rd of March.

lord bunberry
26-02-2018, 11:27 AM
If its to be as bad as they say some of us are going to have a difficult decision to make. Plenty of folk travel from outside Edinburgh to watch Hibs and like me a few will be thinking twice if this time it means driving through 6 inch deep snow, especially at night.

Both Hibs and Hamilton have a free weekend .... it seems utterly sensible to me to move this game to then. I went into the Hamilton official site and interestingly it lists their next game as away to Hibs on Saturday the 3rd of March.
Hamilton have rearranged a league game already for Saturday.

scoopyboy
26-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Seems a bit off given the numbers we're talking about. They could just drive the midweek mid-blizzard Hamilton Academicals support over to Edinburgh in the passenger seat of the gritter...

Team to consider as well.

EH6 Hibby
26-02-2018, 11:39 AM

The Hamilton team still need to travel regardless of how many fans travel. I’m not saying it will be called off, just thinking that if there’s an amber warning they may have to think about it. As someone else has said, we will have fans traveling from outside Edinburgh too.

HibbySpurs
26-02-2018, 11:44 AM
Suspect the playing surface will be ok with undersoil heating etc.

The game will be called off if there is a public safety issue and this will be a decision for Police Scotland I'd imagine.

If they believe that due to adverse weather 16,000+ people in and around ER with all the additional traffic that brings is not a good idea then it will get called off.

Bear in mind that most people who travel in by car park in surrounding side streets which may not have been gritted (or ploughed if it comes to that) could cause problems with cars getting stuck.

Also any potential disruption to public transport would be taken into account by the Police.

My opinion at present is it's 70/30 in favour of going ahead but the forecast for Leith on Wednesday is pretty poor at present.

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2018, 11:48 AM
Hamilton have rearranged a league game already for Saturday.

Somebody had better tell whoever runs their official site then mate, coz according to it they are playing us ..... its not just on the fixture list, its front and centre as 'next match' on their home page :greengrin

I presume its just an error on their part, no wonder they don't get much of an away support if the club are sending folk to the wrong stadium. I have never missed a home game coz of the weather and I'm pretty experienced when it comes to driving in snow .... but I have passengers to consider as well who have work and school the next day. We usually get home around 11:30 after night games as it is ... who knows what time it will be if it turns out the best I can manage is 20mph.

If the forecast is right and the game goes ahead this will be our lowest crowd of the season by some distance .... on top of the travelling conditions its going to be bitterly cold and that will put a lot of folk off, especially those with kids.

Borderhibbie76
26-02-2018, 11:48 AM
Was thinking it may well be in doubt if the forecast for weds into Thurs is correct as it looks pretty bleak. Safety has to be taken into consideration even if pitch is playable as expected

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
26-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Somebody had better tell whoever runs their official site then mate, coz according to it they are playing us ..... its not just on the fixture list, its front and centre as 'next match' on their home page :greengrin

I presume its just an error on their part, no wonder they don't get much of an away support if the club are sending folk to the wrong stadium. I have never missed a home game coz of the weather and I'm pretty experienced when it comes to driving in snow .... but I have passengers to consider as well who have work and school the next day. We usually get home around 11:30 after night games as it is ... who knows what time it will be if it turns out the best I can manage is 20mph.

If the forecast is right and the game goes ahead this will be our lowest crowd of the season by some distance .... on top of the travelling conditions its going to be bitterly cold and that will put a lot of folk off, especially those with kids.
The guy that does their website is probably the same guy that organises their finances. :greengrin They’re away to St Johnstone on Saturday.

The_Exile
26-02-2018, 12:05 PM
We've both for a free weekend on the 24th though so it wouldn't be a disaster if it got called off. Looks like a bad one coming from the East and Wednesday looks like a topper of a day for snow.

porthibbie
26-02-2018, 12:16 PM
Was thinking it may well be in doubt if the forecast for weds into Thurs is correct as it looks pretty bleak. Safety has to be taken into consideration even if pitch is playable as expected

All the mid week fixtures should be postponed ,, Aberdeen travel to Motherwell , Ross County to Partick , Dundee to Parkhead,Huns tp Perth.
Not a good plan to expect teams and supporters to travel.

Moulin Yarns
26-02-2018, 12:19 PM

Always warmer in cities :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43197637

Ronniekirk
26-02-2018, 12:20 PM
If Nick Cave is right we will all be
Under Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moulin Yarns
26-02-2018, 12:25 PM
All the mid week fixtures should be postponed ,, Aberdeen travel to Motherwell , Ross County to Partick , Dundee to Parkhead,Huns tp Perth.

Does anyone else think it would make sense to have a winter break? :wink:

danhibees1875
26-02-2018, 12:27 PM
Always warmer in cities :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43197637

It's a sunny 17C in Madrid today. 😎

Fly back to Edinburgh tonight though...

HoboHarry
26-02-2018, 12:32 PM
It's a sunny 17C in Madrid today. 😎

Fly back to Edinburgh tonight though...
21C here today and 23 C tomorrow. I'm no flying anywhere......

Moulin Yarns
26-02-2018, 12:32 PM
Anyone travelling from East Angia?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43198134

danhibees1875
26-02-2018, 12:33 PM
21C here today and 23 C tomorrow. I'm no flying anywhere......

Sorted! :thumbsup:

MB62
26-02-2018, 12:39 PM
There's a snowballs chance in hell of me dragging myself out of a warm house to go and sit in -6 conditions and paying £22 for the privilege.
I have seen the days when I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought but I am older, wiser and in particular, more skint these days.

Since90+2
26-02-2018, 12:39 PM
I'm working on Wednesday so cant make it but even if I wasn't i'd be giving serious consideration whether to go or not. No fun at all sitting in weather that's got a real feel of minus 12.

Joe6-2
26-02-2018, 01:00 PM

Sensible? Football authorities!

Billy Whizz
26-02-2018, 01:12 PM
We've both for a free weekend on the 24th though so it wouldn't be a disaster if it got called off. Looks like a bad one coming from the East and Wednesday looks like a topper of a day for snow.

It’s international weekend, no premiership games that say

Northernhibee
26-02-2018, 01:15 PM
Beast from the east is a good rhyme.

Shame Craig Levein isn't from Sri Lanka as I'd have had a better one.

Lago
26-02-2018, 01:21 PM
What a bunch of wimps we've turned into in this country.

hibsbollah
26-02-2018, 01:30 PM
The Bollah barometer is predicting an evening cancellation, possibly around 4 pm. There will be lying snow and ice around Leith by late morning on Wednesday , count on it.

davhibby
26-02-2018, 01:32 PM
Wouldn't be against this being off and being played in April when the weather should be quite nice

jgl07
26-02-2018, 01:33 PM

That’s half a dozen people likely to be disappointed!

Keith_M
26-02-2018, 01:35 PM
There's a snowballs chance in hell of me dragging myself out of a warm house to go and sit in -6 conditions and paying £22 for the privilege.
I have seen the days when I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought but I am older, wiser and in particular, more skint these days.

Having sat in the Allianz Arena watching 1860 Munich with the temperature at the beginning of the game at -14C (in the -20s by the end)....

...can I just take this opportunity to say what a bunch of wimps my fellow Hibbies are.

:greengrin

p.s. My Dad was sat next to me and he was 71 at the time.

BegbieHSC
26-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Having sat in the Allianz Arena watching 1860 Munich with the temperature at the beginning of the game at -14C (in the -20s by the end)....

...can I just take this opportunity to say what a bunch of wimps my fellow Hibbies are.

Lol. This!

Even those fannies fae the West sat through similar temperatures watching their team get pumped by Zenit last week.

C'monnnn Hibbies!

Since90+2
26-02-2018, 02:02 PM
The Zenit stadium is able to be heated inside , I believe it was 17 degrees inside the stadium when Celtic played there.

Maybe Rod should invest in something similar for Easter Road :greengrin

pacoluna
26-02-2018, 02:04 PM

yup seems a couple of our fans are too :coffee:

Mikey
26-02-2018, 02:18 PM
The Zenit stadium is able to be heated inside , I believe it was 17 degrees inside the stadium when Celtic played there.

Maybe Rod should invest in something similar for Easter Road :greengrin

Fill the corners with big heaters :agree:

:snowman

HoboHarry
26-02-2018, 02:21 PM

Or have Levein, Houston, Preston and Locke placed in the corners. The amount of hot air those c**** give out should do the trick........

Moulin Yarns
26-02-2018, 02:22 PM

Back to the future with Calor as sponsors :wink:

Mainstandman
26-02-2018, 02:24 PM
My sons meant to be playing on the pitch at half time, brrgggghhhh. Mrs Mainstandman coming to watch him wearing all the clothes she owns.

hibsbollah
26-02-2018, 02:29 PM
My sons meant to be playing on the pitch at half time, brrgggghhhh. Mrs Mainstandman coming to watch him wearing all the clothes she owns.

:agree: There is no such thing as being too cold, only being inappropriately dressed.

Aim Here
26-02-2018, 02:33 PM

You're putting your son up in front of 15,000 people wearing all his mother's clothes? The mockery will traumatize him! I'm calling social services right now!

superfurryhibby
26-02-2018, 02:48 PM
Amber Weather Warning - Edinburgh
Between 06:00 Wed 28th and 12:00 Thu 1stFrequent and heavy snow showers are expected on Wednesday and Thursday leading to some significant accumulations developing. Long delays and cancellations on bus, rail and air travel could occur. Roads may become blocked by deep snow, with many stranded vehicles and passengers. Communities might be cut off for several days. Long interruptions to power supplies and other services such as telephone and mobile phone networks, could occur.

It's a warning which you either heed or ignore

Just by way of caution. My pal fell outside the East after the Rangers game in December. Dislocated his knee and snapped a ligament which has required surgery and that put's him out of work since (he's self employed).

He wasn't the only one. I saw an auld guy on the deck in St Clair St and my buddy said that a woman feel and banged her head when he was getting attention. In fact the ambulance called for him was given over to her as her condition was deemed more serious at the time.

Council should have gritted the footpaths and roads with such a big sporting event. It was bloody treacherous that night.

HappyAsHellas
26-02-2018, 02:56 PM
If we get half an inch of snow the schools will be closed and office workers will be sent home early as we mere humans cannot survive such life threatening conditions. The football authorities should postpone the game if the winds are too strong as this is the only real game spoiler we ever get. Sadly this will never happen and people will be talking about 6 feet of snow etc etc etc. Open a can of growsomeballs and we'll be fine.

Hibbyradge
26-02-2018, 02:56 PM
The Bollah barometer is predicting an evening cancellation, possibly around 4 pm. There will be lying snow and ice around Leith by late morning on Wednesday , count on it.

I'm hoping that, if they cancel it, they do so before 2.30pm.

That's when my train leaves York.

I won't get a refund for my tickets, but there's no point travelling if there's no game to go to.

hibee_girl
26-02-2018, 02:58 PM

I won't get a refund for my tickets, but there's no point travelling if there's no game to go to.

You might find your train cancelled anyway if conditions do get as bad as they say

Moulin Yarns
26-02-2018, 02:59 PM

Prepare for the worst. Not looking good for your journey

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=yh&date=2018-02-28&regionType=area

Hibbyradge
26-02-2018, 03:00 PM
You might find your train cancelled anyway if conditions do get as bad as they say

That's true.

I suppose that would be a decent outcome because I'd get my train fare back.

eastcoasthibby
26-02-2018, 03:06 PM

Ahh but we all know common sense never prevails in our game, neither does the making of big decision, oh and as for thinking about fans ...well !!!!

hibsbollah
26-02-2018, 03:07 PM

I don't think you'll be making the game. It's an armageddon forecast. You might have to settle for cuddling up with a cocoa and listening to Cliff Pikes sweet whisperings...

Sir David Gray
26-02-2018, 03:08 PM
It’s international weekend, no premiership games that say

The next free weekend due to the Scottish Cup is 14th/15th April which is after the split so if it is postponed then it will need to be played on another midweek date.

Hibbyradge
26-02-2018, 03:09 PM

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=yh&date=2018-02-28&regionType=area

I know.

I was looking forward to seeing the team again after the superb performance against Aberdeen, but it might be prudent hi just to take the financial hit and cancel my plans.

(I can try to console myself by thinking that it's not really a financial hit cos I've already spent the cash on the tickets. It's more of a fitba hit. 😁)

danhibees1875
26-02-2018, 03:15 PM
The next free weekend due to the Scottish Cup is 14th/15th April which is after the split so if it is postponed then it will need to be played on another midweek date.

This might be a daft question, but it both Hibs and Hamilton's positions within top/bottom were confirmed regardless of the outcome of this game would it matter?

CropleyWasGod
26-02-2018, 03:17 PM
This might be a daft question, but it both Hibs and Hamilton's positions within top/bottom were confirmed regardless of the outcome of this game would it matter?

It would still have to be played at some stage, if that's what you mean.

aljo7-0
26-02-2018, 03:19 PM

I would have thought so - both teams need the 3 points - us to get into Europe/finish second. them to avoid relegation

JimBHibees
26-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Just by way of caution. My pal fell outside the East after the Rangers game in December. Dislocated his knee and snapped a ligament which has required surgery and that put's him out of work since (he's self employed).

He wasn't the only one. I saw an auld guy on the deck in St Clair St and my buddy said that a woman feel and banged her head when he was getting attention. In fact the ambulance called for him was given over to her as her condition was deemed more serious at the time.

Council should have gritted the footpaths and roads with such a big sporting event. It was bloody treacherous that night.

Agree the pavements and streets that night were shocking.

danhibees1875
26-02-2018, 03:21 PM
It would still have to be played at some stage, if that's what you mean.

I meant could it then be played after the split in the earlier suggested April slot.

Sir David Gray
26-02-2018, 03:23 PM
I meant could it then be played after the split in the earlier suggested April slot.

Yeah I suppose you're right. There probably isn't any requirement for it to be played before the split.

I personally don't think they'll wait that long to reschedule it though.

lyonhibs
26-02-2018, 03:47 PM
If we get half an inch of snow the schools will be closed and office workers will be sent home early as we mere humans cannot survive such life threatening conditions. The football authorities should postpone the game if the winds are too strong as this is the only real game spoiler we ever get. Sadly this will never happen and people will be talking about 6 feet of snow etc etc etc. Open a can of growsomeballs and we'll be fine.

Rather what I was thinking. Under prepared councils and the "woe is me" attitude to a bit of snow always cracks me up. Switzerland has had metres of the stuff this year with minimal disruption.

Golden Bear
26-02-2018, 03:51 PM
Rather what I was thinking. Under prepared councils and the "woe is me" attitude to a bit of snow always cracks me up. Switzerland has had metres of the stuff this year with minimal disruption.

In these days of litigation, the Schools/Councils are on a hiding to nothing, they're damned if they close because of the weather and damned if they decide to stay open.

Hibrandenburg
26-02-2018, 03:59 PM

My thoughts exactly. When did -7 and a bit of snow amount to catastrophe?

hibby6270
26-02-2018, 04:01 PM
Ha!! Beast from the East? Thought for a minute, we’d made a new signing.:greengrin

Postpone or play the game? Wouldn’t mind either way. As long as the decision is taken well in advance of putting folks out re travelling. The “leave it to the last minute” decision does nobody any favours.

Hibrandenburg
26-02-2018, 04:03 PM

:agree: When yòur diesel starts freezing then you can start to talk about it being a bit nippy. Even then there's measures you can take to counteract the cold.

green day
26-02-2018, 04:06 PM

Perhaps thats true, but in Switzerland you tend to get a lot of snow every year, and hence any equipment and preparations are largely BAU for the local council etc.

As it happens, I was in the French alps (Haute Savoie) in mid january, and they struggled to cope with the volumes of snow falling - despite being supposedly properly set up for it.

There is no point having hundreds of snowploughs waiting around in central Scotland as it rarely hits that hard.

Mainstandman
26-02-2018, 04:53 PM
You're putting your son up in front of 15,000 people wearing all his mother's clothes? The mockery will traumatize him! I'm calling social services right now!
Better improve my grammar

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2018, 04:55 PM

Yes, all very good. The issue isn't with the actual temperatures, if folk wrap up warm its not a big deal, though I would understand why folk wouldn't want to take kids to a match where the mercury is likely to fall below - 7. The problem is with getting to and from the match.

For us that's an 80 mile round trip up and down a road which is pretty poor even in decent conditions. With 'significant' snowfall predicted for most of the day on Wednesday and the likelihood of it drifting on high ground I would prefer to open a can of 'usesomecommonsense' than a can of 'growsomeballs' mate .... Even driving a few miles on decent roads during daylight in snow is a pain in the arse ... at night with significant snow on the road and the space travel effect of snow in the headlights that's ramped up considerably.

As I said, in the 25 or so years I've actually been the designated driver up and down from Gala I've never missed a single match because of the weather and I've driven the journey in snow several times ..... But even I cant ignore such a bad forecast ... I don't own a bloomin' Land Rover.

hibbyfraelibby
26-02-2018, 04:58 PM
What a bunch of woosies on here. Remember the 60s when the snow fell for weeks, nobody had undersoil heating except the SRU and the Mound, balls were made of leather and laced up too. Kids wore sandles and shorts in the snow with woolie balaclavas and mits strung through the arms of your blazer on elastic and yet the games went ahead. Lines swept of snow and painted yellow, an orange ball and a big fat ref in a sports jacket and open necked white shirt ( with the collar over the jacket collar)

Ah those were the days....

WeeRussell
26-02-2018, 05:02 PM

I’m almost certain it will have to be played prior to the split.

Ilovehibs
26-02-2018, 05:05 PM
If it is off, hope they dont play it next Tuesday night with the derby on the Friday night.

Hibbyradge
What a bunch of woosies on here. Remember the 60s when the snow fell for weeks, nobody had undersoil heating except the SRU and the Mound, balls were made of leather and laced up too. Kids wore sandles and shorts in the snow with woolie balaclavas and mits strung through the arms of your blazer on elastic and yet the games went ahead. Lines swept of snow and painted yellow, an orange ball and a big fat ref in a sports jacket and open necked white shirt ( with the collar over the jacket collar)

Ah those were the days....

https://youtu.be/26ZDB9h7BLY

hibee_girl

The game has to be a doubt

Thecat23
26-02-2018, 05:20 PM

The game has to be a doubt

We have had a few amber warnings and Edinburgh has been completely fine. Really depends how well the guys do getting the grit out on roads and pavements.

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2018, 05:25 PM
We have had a few amber warnings and Edinburgh has been completely fine. Really depends how well the guys do getting the grit out on roads and pavements.

Aw .... Edinburgh will be fine ... that's ok then, sod the poor wee 2nd class Hibbies who live oot o' the toon .... is that what yer sayin'? ... is it? ... well, is it??

At least now we know where we stand :dummytit:

HappyAsHellas
26-02-2018, 05:26 PM
I would prefer to open a can of 'usesomecommonsense' than a can of 'growsomeballs' mate ....
As I said, in the 25 or so years I've actually been the designated driver up and down from Gala I've never missed a single match because of the weather and I've driven the journey in snow several times ..... But even I cant ignore such a bad forecast ... I don't own a bloomin' Land Rover.

Never had a problem with common sense and the Gala road isn't very good so you may consider yourself exempt from my inane ramblings mate....:greengrin

Hibbyradge
26-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Aw .... Edinburgh will be fine ... that's ok then, sod the poor wee 2nd class Hibbies who live oot o' the toon .... is that what yer sayin'? ... is it? ... well, is it??

Don't mention the stand again ...

Golden Bear
26-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Yes, all very good. The issue isn't with the actual temperatures, if folk wrap up warm its not a big deal, though I would understand why folk wouldn't want to take kids to a match where the mercury is likely to fall below - 7. The problem is with getting to and from the match.

For us that's an 80 mile round trip up and down a road which is pretty poor even in decent conditions. With 'significant' snowfall predicted for most of the day on Wednesday and the likelihood of it drifting on high ground I would prefer to open a can of 'usesomecommonsense' than a can of 'growsomeballs' mate .... Even driving a few miles on decent roads during daylight in snow is a pain in the arse ... at night with significant snow on the road and the space travel effect of snow in the headlights that's ramped up considerably.

Well said Nae Nookie. I've been involved in a few hazardous journeys myself over the years. The townies don't know they're living. 😁

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Don't mention the stand again ...

lyonhibs
26-02-2018, 05:56 PM
Perhaps thats true, but in Switzerland you tend to get a lot of snow every year, and hence any equipment and preparations are largely BAU for the local council etc.

As it happens, I was in the French alps (Haute Savoie) in mid january, and they struggled to cope with the volumes of snow falling - despite being supposedly properly set up for it.

There is no point having hundreds of snowploughs waiting around in central Scotland as it rarely hits that hard.

And yet, every year there's the same "Doomsday" weather warnings at at least a couple of time per winter and everyone's Nan runs to the shop and buys bread and milk like it's the Apocalypse. There needs to be a middle ground in terms of investment/preparation of councils in the UK for inclement weather during the winter as te current "stay indoors, don't make any non essential journeys" schtick every time it's forecast to get somewhat nippy is laughable.

It's not just snow (a few inches of which can lock down central Scotland's main artery, the M8, in a matter of hours?!?!) but ice etc as well. South of England is even worse in terms of mentality.

What I'm saying is that for a city on the same latitude as Moscow and further north than Vancouver, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man for this forecasted weather in late February to not jeopardise a game of football.

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2018, 06:00 PM
And yet, every year there's the same "Doomsday" weather warnings at at least a couple of time per winter and everyone's Nan runs to the shop and buys bread and milk like it's the Apocalypse. There needs to be a middle ground in terms of investment/preparation of councils in the UK for inclement weather during the winter as te current "stay indoors, don't make any non essential journeys" schtick every time it's forecast to get somewhat nippy is laughable.

It's not just snow (a few inches of which can lock down central Scotland's main artery, the M8, in a matter of hours?!?!) but ice etc as well. South of England is even worse in terms of mentality.

What I'm saying is that for a city on the same latitude as Moscow and further north than Vancouver, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man for this forecasted weather in late February to not jeopardise a game of football.

The Gulf stream

HibeesLA
26-02-2018, 06:06 PM

A lot of yellow snow on that forecast!!!

Haymaker
26-02-2018, 06:11 PM
In these days of litigation, the Schools/Councils are on a hiding to nothing, they're damned if they close because of the weather and damned if they decide to stay open.

My local area gets a fair bit of snow and the schools close so quickly now because they don't want anyone getting hurt trying to get in and suing the school districts. That includes the local universities too.

green day
26-02-2018, 06:12 PM

I dont necessarily disagree with a lot of what you are saying, but the bit highlighted is trotted out a fair bit - and the latitude of Edinburgh is not the only factor involved. Moscow and Vancouver get more snow.

snooky
26-02-2018, 06:19 PM
I dont necessarily disagree with a lot of what you are saying, but the bit highlighted is trotted out a fair bit - and the latitude of Edinburgh is not the only factor involved. Moscow and Vancouver get more snow.

Also, Moscow & Vancouver don't get warmed up from the North Atlantic Drift. :cb

JohnMcM
26-02-2018, 06:25 PM

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=throwing%20toys%20out%20of%20pram%20meme&ved=2ahUKEwipj6mDpsTZAhUDPFAKHZAmAesQsKwBKAAwFnoEC AcQBQ&biw=1024&bih=671#imgrc=aQw4mY3b3ecAqM:

Ah! Just noticed the wee dummy sucker. You were joking were'nt you?

1van Sprou7e
26-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Also, Moscow & Vancouver don't get warmed up from the North Atlantic Drift. :cb

Soon we'll probably be the same, thanks climate change!

cowdenhibby
26-02-2018, 06:30 PM
:greengrin:greengrin
I saw the title and thought it was about Rix. 😁

Galahibby
26-02-2018, 06:40 PM

I've already had the 'pleasure' of York City v Alfreton Town this week. I still can't feel my feet ❄ and my eyes are still bleeding! It was like watching Hearts v Hearts #HOOOOF!

Clerie Green
26-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Could we try and organise a Pre winter , mid winter ,real winter and post winter break ?
:na na: :aok:

Carheenlea
26-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Well said Nae Nookie. I've been involved in a few hazardous journeys myself over the years. The townies don't know they're living. 😁

A midweek drive from the Borders up to Perth in blizzard conditions springs to mind GB 🌨🌨

lapsedhibee
26-02-2018, 07:17 PM

****, I hope he's wrong and we don't get 'as much as 10cm' of snow. Would be an absolute disaster for everyone that's less than 4 inches tall.

WoreTheGreen
26-02-2018, 07:18 PM
****, I hope he's wrong and we don't get 'as much as 10cm' of snow. Would be an absolute disaster for everyone that's less than 4 inches tall.

Ian black fk then

Smartie
26-02-2018, 07:59 PM
Ha!! Beast from the East? Thought for a minute, we’d made a new signing.:greengrin

Postpone or play the game? Wouldn’t mind either way. As long as the decision is taken well in advance of putting folks out re travelling. The “leave it to the last minute” decision does nobody any favours.

Sounds exactly like a Hearts/ Levein type signing.

hibee316
26-02-2018, 08:09 PM
There needs to be a middle ground in terms of investment/preparation of councils in the UK for inclement weather during the winter as te current "stay indoors, don't make any non essential journeys" schtick every time it's forecast to get somewhat nippy is laughable.

Why? Why spend money on equipment and plans that will need to be regularly refreshed, yet used for about a week in total every decade.

Much cheaper for us all to have a couple of snow days every decade!

Fair enough, the media make it sound like hell has literally frozen over here, but realistically it would be idiotic of us to deal with snow in the same way as cities that, you know, actually get snow :)

LustForLeith
26-02-2018, 08:12 PM
If it does get cancelled but there’s already refreshments it would be nice if Hibs to follow this example

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-43189079

overdrive
26-02-2018, 08:19 PM
‘Beast from the East’... which Killie substitute is he then?

(One for those who were at the game on Saturday)

Hibbyradge
26-02-2018, 08:29 PM
I've already had the 'pleasure' of York City v Alfreton Town this week. I still can't feel my feet ❄ and my eyes are still bleeding! It was like watching Hearts v Hearts #HOOOOF!

What brought you to York?

I know exactly what you mean about the football. It's horrible.

Galahibby
26-02-2018, 09:11 PM
What brought you to York?

I know exactly what you mean about the football. It's horrible.Just a catch up with some pals. One of them supports Alfreton. It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
26-02-2018, 09:15 PM
Just a catch up with some pals. One of them supports Alfreton. It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

👍

monktonharp
26-02-2018, 11:23 PM
given the weather forecast(they're pretty good at it these days)and the warnings from them, I would forecast that the game is off. spoke to people tonight saying the pitch is fine and will be fine on the night but we all know that the surrounding areas are the main concern for the safety of fans. people will say, It's Leith,near the sea , big city blah blah but hundreds if not thousands will be travelling from East/West Lothian the Borders and West of Scotland to see the match. Hamilton team bus, unless they are already in Edin. will have problems. Me and my guys were "caught out" and failed to listen to weather warnings 3 weeks ago. I was almost stuck on the Biggar road and they were stranded on a lorry on the M74. I eventually managed to pick them up on the Northbound carriage after they jumped the barrier while stuck on the Southbound in the lorry.the snaw is coming, and we will not have any way of stopping severe disruption. you , and I have been warned. I have removal work on for the next 2 days, and regret accepting the jobs.

monktonharp
26-02-2018, 11:33 PM

As I said, in the 25 or so years I've actually been the designated driver up and down from Gala I've never missed a single match because of the weather and I've driven the journey in snow several times ..... But even I cant ignore such a bad forecast ... I don't own a bloomin' Land Rover.I do own a 4x4 and was keekin' masel driving through to Abington 3 weeks ago. I had to meet my guys at the Services to get them hame. the snaw was being blown off the Pentlands, as well as falling heavily. there was a bus lying in a ditch at Lamington, a snow plough tractor in front of me clearing a path and I was still worried. I stay 3 miles from the Siro, and will pass.

seanshow
26-02-2018, 11:34 PM
I'm predicting this is a "its cold in london so the whole country should grind to a halt" forecast.

Grit the roads and paths, undersoil heating on, job done :aok:

monktonharp
26-02-2018, 11:38 PM
I'm predicting this is a "its cold in london so the whole country should grind to a halt" forecast.

Grit the roads and paths, undersoil heating on, job done :aok:I've not thought of it that way. those forecasters must be a bunch o' erseholes. that's it, I'm going. :rolleyes:

Forza Fred
26-02-2018, 11:38 PM

Hope the Beast doesn’t roam...I’m heading off for a three day break a bit further south on the coast.

Keep him close please!:wink:

monktonharp
26-02-2018, 11:48 PM
Hope the Beast doesn’t roam...I’m heading off for a three day break a bit further south on the coast.

Keep him close please!:wink:they had lots of snow in St Peter's square today, not a usual event. you never know, does it ever snow doon under?:confused:

poolman
27-02-2018, 12:07 AM

As long as Kelso races is ok for Saturday :agree:

stokesmessiah
27-02-2018, 12:15 AM
Cue a mild gust and some fleeting snow showers!

monktonharp
27-02-2018, 12:28 AM
Cue a mild gust and some fleeting snow showers!

ah well , wish I was as tough as you big Northerners. might put 3 pairs of socks on tomorrow to see if I can match up to you guys.

stokesmessiah
27-02-2018, 12:33 AM
ah well , wish I was as tough as you big Northerners. might put 3 pairs of socks on tomorrow to see if I can match up to you guys.

Not sure i get what you are on about. I just meant if i had a £1 for every time I had been promised Snowmageddon i would be on a beach in the Caribbean wondering what the hell snow is...

Forza Fred
27-02-2018, 01:30 AM
they had lots of snow in St Peter's square today, not a usual event. you never know, does it ever snow doon under?:confused:

Yep,

ski resorts in NSW are only about 3 hours drive from Sydney....nearer Canbera.

Others in Victoria and no doubt other places.

There is actually a disputed statement that has been about for years that Australia actually gets more snow than Switzerland.

Never been to the snowfields here myself....the memories of slipping over drunk while walking home from the dancin in the early 70’s and chilblains and big boys putting snow down mt Welles even earlier in life in the Craigentinny primary playground formed a negative impact!

Mr White
27-02-2018, 05:45 AM
Yep,

There is actually a disputed statement that has been about for years that Australia actually gets more snow than Switzerland.

Never been to the snowfields here myself....the memories of slipping over drunk while walking home from the dancin in the early 70’s and chilblains and big boys putting snow down mt Welles even earlier in life in the Craigentinny primary playground formed a negative impact!

There are 2 small ski areas in Tasmania too.

Moulin Yarns
27-02-2018, 05:52 AM
Why? Why spend money on equipment and plans that will need to be regularly refreshed, yet used for about a week in total every decade.

Much cheaper for us all to have a couple of snow days every decade!

Fair enough, the media make it sound like hell has literally frozen over here, but realistically it would be idiotic of us to deal with snow in the same way as cities that, you know, actually get snow :)

As a a rural dweller, I am glad the local Roads Authority are prepared with a snow plough regularly past my house around 7am, there has also been at least 2 occasions when the snow blower has been required.

Fuzzywuzzy
27-02-2018, 06:22 AM
Yep,

I got caught out years ago on mount koziosko(?) wearing shorts and sandals having to walk through 3ft of Snow! Guide never said about dressing appropriately since it was the summer

lord bunberry
27-02-2018, 07:16 AM
1 day to go and it’s a lovely crisp winter morning in Edinburgh. The beast hasn’t arrived yet.

heid the baw
27-02-2018, 07:18 AM
"Beast from the East"..
More like the "Stoat where you might need a coat"

staunchhibby
27-02-2018, 07:20 AM
Slight covering of snow in West Lothian.Is this the start???

lapsedhibee
27-02-2018, 07:26 AM
Slight evidence of snowflakes round here.

Golden Bear
27-02-2018, 07:44 AM
A dusting in Peebles at the moment.

As far as I know there are no plans to alter the "car leaves" time for tomorrow night.

JeMeSouviens
27-02-2018, 07:56 AM
The main warning for Edinburgh is wed/thu.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/warnings#?date=2018-02-28&id=2b06f60a-4e16-1b7e-e87a-cd12cb6d9885&details

Weststandwanab
27-02-2018, 08:01 AM
The main warning for Edinburgh is wed/thu.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/warnings#?date=2018-02-28&id=2b06f60a-4e16-1b7e-e87a-cd12cb6d9885&details

It is snowing in Duddingston !

SRHibs
27-02-2018, 08:05 AM
A lot of snow here.

Hibbyradge
27-02-2018, 08:17 AM

Don't take up forecasting as a profession, would be my advice.

Hibbyradge
27-02-2018, 08:21 AM

There's virtually no chance of that going ahead, imo.

Cling onto the "virtually" bit though. You might be lucky.

Hibbyradge
27-02-2018, 08:42 AM
given the weather forecast(they're pretty good at it these days)and the warnings from them, I would forecast that the game is off. spoke to people tonight saying the pitch is fine and will be fine on the night but we all know that the surrounding areas are the main concern for the safety of fans. people will say, It's Leith,near the sea , big city blah blah but hundreds if not thousands will be travelling from East/West Lothian the Borders and West of Scotland to see the match. Hamilton team bus, unless they are already in Edin. will have problems. Me and my guys were "caught out" and failed to listen to weather warnings 3 weeks ago. I was almost stuck on the Biggar road and they were stranded on a lorry on the M74. I eventually managed to pick them up on the Northbound carriage after they jumped the barrier while stuck on the Southbound in the lorry.the snaw is coming, and we will not have any way of stopping severe disruption. you , and I have been warned. I have removal work on for the next 2 days, and regret accepting the jobs.

You're spot on.

Severe weather like this can, and probably will, be a factor in people dying.

The Idea that the police would allow people to put themselves, and others, at risk for any football match, is ludicrous, never mind one which is easily rearranged.

If it's safe for folk to travel, the game will be on. If not, it should be cancelled as no amount of "don't travel unless absolutely necessary" warnings will deter the foolhardy.

When I moved to York, I was told that it rarely snowed here due to our position in relation to the Vale of York or something.

This is already what I woke up to and it's forecast to snow for the next 3 days.

https://s10.postimg.org/zf1h6l28p/20180227_090853.jpg

https://postimg.org/image/6cn73rfyt/

Ronniekirk
27-02-2018, 08:53 AM
The Beast hasn't appeared in Paisley yet but the forecast for Edinburgh tomorrow if correct is making me swither about going to the game
Will see what tomorrow actually brings

jodjam
27-02-2018, 08:58 AM

Sky reporting that Kelso are pessimistic about this weekend and may be looking to move meeting to following week

Hibbyradge
27-02-2018, 09:02 AM
The Beast hasn't appeared in Paisley yet but the forecast for Edinburgh tomorrow if correct is making me swither about going to the game

It's still in the east :wink:

Renfrew_Hibby
27-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Will be leaving my work in Glasgows east end at 16:30 tomorrow and heading over. Kinda hope it's off as the thought of the drive back home after is slightly scary if reports are true.

BlackSheep
27-02-2018, 09:59 AM
When are we likely to hear of any decision? Im not far from the game, but I'm on crutches after knee surgery a few weeks ago so can't afford any mishaps :greengrin

Would prefer the match postponed sooner rather than later if it is going to be called off, as many of you will agree.

CRAZYHIBBY
27-02-2018, 09:59 AM
When it snows in Scotland we put on an extra jumper and head out...... when it snows in England..brittain is at a standstill.

Hibbyradge
27-02-2018, 10:10 AM
When it snows in Scotland we put on an extra jumper and head out...... when it snows in England..brittain is at a standstill.

Yes Some people do want to believe that.

lucky
27-02-2018, 10:10 AM
Snow just started in Glasgow but it’s very light

hibbyfraelibby
27-02-2018, 10:13 AM
When are we likely to hear of any decision? Im not far from the game, but I'm on crutches after knee surgery a few weeks ago so can't afford any mishaps :greengrin

Would prefer the match postponed sooner rather than later if it is going to be called off, as many of you will agree.

The undersoil heating will be on, the areas around the stadium are gritted and clear with the main snow fall forecast from 9pm onward on Wednesday with coastal areas of the Forth on the very southern fringe of anticipated snow fall area after 9pm. Edinburgh not due to get the really heavy snow until Thursday.

Game will be on but if you judge the underfoot conditions too risky listen to game on radio.

Bunch of snowflake drama queens on here...😉

BlackSheep
27-02-2018, 10:22 AM
The undersoil heating will be on, the areas around the stadium are gritted and clear with the main snow fall forecast from 9pm onward on Wednesday with coastal areas of the Forth on the very southern fringe of anticipated snow fall area after 9pm. Edinburgh not due to get the really heavy snow until Thursday.

Game will be on but if you judge the underfoot conditions too risky listen to game on radio.

Bunch of snowflake drama queens on here...��

Ha, snowflake. i see what you did there.

I plan on going but like i mentioned any chance of ice underfoot and its a risk, only had my op 2 weeks ago and don't fancy getting it fixed after a fall, this recovery has been painful enough... and i still have moths of rehab to go.

Is it on hibstv for international subscribers? :wink:

NthCarolinaHibs
27-02-2018, 10:31 AM
Ha, snowflake. i see what you did there.

I plan on going but like i mentioned any chance of ice underfoot and its a risk, only had my op 2 weeks ago and don't fancy getting it fixed after a fall, this recovery has been painful enough... and i still have moths of rehab to go.

Is it on hibstv for international subscribers? :wink:
It is aye,will be watching from Tenerife 😎...

CMurdoch
27-02-2018, 10:34 AM
No snow near Easter Road as of now

BlackSheep
27-02-2018, 10:35 AM
It is aye,will be watching from Tenerife 😎...

Awesome, worst comes to it I will too :)

lapsedhibee
27-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Just been out on the pushbike from central Edinburgh for the last hour and a half. Perfect cycling weather except for a slight easterly breeze. "Yellow warning". May well be snowmageddon tomorrow, but the forecasters aren't all that yet.

Danderhall Hibs
27-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Don't take up forecasting as a profession, would be my advice.

At this moment in time he’s more accurate than the professionals.

Borderhibbie76
27-02-2018, 11:25 AM
1 day to go and it’s a lovely crisp winter morning in Edinburgh. The beast hasn’t arrived yet.Not meant to arrive till 6am tomorrow mate

Hibbyradge
27-02-2018, 11:28 AM
At this moment in time he’s more accurate than the professionals.

I'm not in London, but it's snowing heavily.

Thecat23
27-02-2018, 11:33 AM
I still think we won’t get much snow in Edinburgh. The amount of amber warnings we have had and nothing happens. If it does happen tonight I’ll be shocked and if the games off I’ll take my son sledging.

hhibs
27-02-2018, 11:37 AM

Plenty "beasts" amongst the natives though !:greengrin

IGRIGI
27-02-2018, 12:05 PM
We get these panic merchant threads each and every time we have bad weather and each and every time the game goes ahead.

The_Exile
27-02-2018, 12:12 PM
IMO the game will be off, the transport minister said we're on the cusp of a red warning. Don't think I've ever seen us get a red warning for snow before.

Jamesie
27-02-2018, 12:18 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43200598 - I can see the game being cancelled either this afternoon or very early AM tomorrow on the back of this.

Brightside
27-02-2018, 12:19 PM
Sky reporting that Kelso are pessimistic about this weekend and may be looking to move meeting to following week

Kelso will be frozen - almost no chance of it being on.

Brightside
27-02-2018, 12:20 PM
IMO the game will be off, the transport minister said we're on the cusp of a red warning. Don't think I've ever seen us get a red warning for snow before.

I get this issue with other areas but there is almost no snow in Edinburgh.... Would we be allowed to cancel?

Since90+2
27-02-2018, 12:32 PM
Edinburgh was never due to get heavy snow until early tomorrow morning. The amber warning is in place from 6am Wednesday through until late Thursday.

NAE NOOKIE
27-02-2018, 12:40 PM
I get this issue with other areas but there is almost no snow in Edinburgh.... Would we be allowed to cancel?

I'm reasonably sure Aberdeen have cancelled games before, even when the pitch is playable, due to the large number of out of town supporters they have.

The decision to cancel surely has to be under the control of the club concerned and the police when the issue is spectator safety, including travelling conditions.

Oscar T Grouch
27-02-2018, 12:46 PM
Its snowing noo!!!! Sounds more like sleet on the windows. Blue sky and snaw, lovely combination :greengrin

danhibees1875
27-02-2018, 12:52 PM
The weather is changing very quickly. I've the day off today and took a wonder into town in the sun, got hit by snow, the sun came out again, then snow and now it's sunny.

I assume the Hearts game is going ahead? Weather was never meant to be as bad today as it's due to be tomorrow so presume there was little doubt.

Gatecrasher
27-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Regardless of whether there is snow in Edinburgh, The Hamilton team and fans still need to travel not forgetting the higher up parts like Shotts and Harhill which usually get really bad in snowy conditions.

The_Exile
27-02-2018, 12:56 PM
It's not supposed to hit until early doors tomorrow so it'll be the odd shower here and there until the main course tomorrow.

brog
27-02-2018, 01:05 PM
I'm reasonably sure Aberdeen have cancelled games before, even when the pitch is playable, due to the large number of out of town supporters they have.

The decision to cancel surely has to be under the control of the club concerned and the police when the issue is spectator safety, including travelling conditions.

I've never understood why this happens. I've seen games cancelled by the police because of difficult driving conditions on several occasions in Scotland. I've never seen it happen in England. So a game with an expected crowd of say 5k gets cancelled for safety reasons. Meanwhile tens of thousands are going shopping, theatre, pubs etc. The police don't shut M & S down
( nor for rugby ), why is football treated differently?

Lago
27-02-2018, 01:26 PM
I've never understood why this happens. I've seen games cancelled by the police because of difficult driving conditions on several occasions in Scotland. I've never seen it happen in England. So a game with an expected crowd of say 5k gets cancelled for safety reasons. Meanwhile tens of thousands are going shopping, theatre, pubs etc. The police don't shut M & S down
Beats me

Golden Bear
27-02-2018, 01:33 PM

We can only surmise that fiba' fans are worse drivers and less steady on their feet than the rest of the population.

Ozyhibby
27-02-2018, 01:41 PM
Hope the yams game tonight is on. Want them playing two tough games before the derby.

jgl07
27-02-2018, 01:45 PM
It makes sense to cancel now rather than wait for the bad weather to close in.

There will probably be a lousy crowd because many are apprehensive about the weather. Many with tickets will not travel.

A midweek match say on 3rd or 4th April will generate a much larger crowd.

hibee_girl
27-02-2018, 01:54 PM
Pretty heavy snow there for a while in Leith, just in time for school pick ups again obviously! 🙄

lapsedhibee
27-02-2018, 01:58 PM
Pretty heavy snow there for a while in Leith, just in time for school pick ups again obviously! ��

Whaaaaat? People have let children leave the safety of their homes to go to school in conditions like today's ??? :shocked:

lucky
27-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Weather was murder on the M8 in Lanarkshire early on today and has now hit Livingston

Peevemor
27-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Weather was murder on the M8 in Lanarkshire early on today and has now hit Livingston

Sounds more like the pest from the West...

Sauzee16
27-02-2018, 02:15 PM
Bam Bam Bigelow, surely?

lucky
27-02-2018, 02:36 PM
The game will be called off. Scotland has never had Red warning before for snow. Crazy to allow people to travel and then sit outside in these conditions

Eaststandee
27-02-2018, 02:45 PM
If it's not called off it'll be a bad decision IMO, the transport minister saying dangerous travel conditions. Watching football in minus temperatures isn't fun, and the attendance will take a big hit.

JimBHibees
27-02-2018, 02:46 PM
The game will be called off. Scotland has never had Red warning before for snow. Crazy to allow people to travel and then sit outside in these conditions

Is it a red warning?

Sauzee16
27-02-2018, 02:49 PM
Is it a red warning?

It will be in some places tomorrow that should be enough to call off then match

Moulin Yarns
27-02-2018, 02:51 PM
The best way I find to know what the weather is at home is this

http://www.pitlochrywebcam.co.uk/

just 2miles from home, although home is 120m higher than there

bingo70
27-02-2018, 02:54 PM
Might not go down well but if you live outwith Edinburgh and you can’t get to the game tomorrow then that’s a shame however it comes with the territory of being an out of towner I’m afraid.

People pay a premium to stay in Edinburgh and when the weather gets bad that’s one of the benefits.

Other than the pitch the only other consideration should be whether the Hamilton team bus can get to the ground.

If it can, it should go ahead and imo it will.

JimBHibees
27-02-2018, 02:54 PM
It will be in some places tomorrow that should be enough to call off then match

Thought it was amber

JimBHibees
27-02-2018, 02:55 PM
Might not go down well but if you live outwith Edinburgh and you can’t get to the game tomorrow then that’s a shame however it comes with the territory of being an out of towner I’m afraid.

People pay a premium to stay in Edinburgh and when the weather gets bad that’s one of the benefits.

Other than the pitch the only other consideration should be whether the Hamilton team bus can get to the ground.

The police will decide if travel whether within or outwith Edinburgh is considered dangerous.

bingo70
27-02-2018, 02:58 PM
The police will decide if travel whether within or outwith Edinburgh is considered dangerous.

If travel outside of Edinburgh is dangerous that’s nothing to do with hibs, if people choose to ignore travel advice and attend anyway then that’s up to them but they’re not hibs responsibility.

If the weather is so bad busses don’t run in Edinburgh I’d be very surprised, if busses are running then people can get to the ground.

If I stayed out of town I probably wouldn’t go but I wouldn’t expect the game to be called off.

JimBHibees
27-02-2018, 03:01 PM
If travel outside of Edinburgh is dangerous that’s nothing to do with hibs, if people choose to ignore travel advice and attend anyway then that’s up to them but they’re not hibs responsibility.

If the weather is so bad busses don’t run in Edinburgh I’d be very surprised, if busses are running then people can get to the ground.

If I stayed out of town I probably wouldn’t go but I wouldn’t expect the game to be called off.

As I said the police will decide irrespective if pitch is playable.

Gatecrasher
27-02-2018, 03:04 PM

What about the Hamilton players and supporters?

hibee_girl
27-02-2018, 03:07 PM

Does that go for the Hamilton players & fans too?

I couldn’t live any closer to the stadium but I’d totally understand if it was called off tomorrow

davhibby
27-02-2018, 03:13 PM
If the forecast is right it'll be snowing heavily from early morning right through until Thursday. Don't think the M8 will be too clever for the accies team if that's the case

bingo70
27-02-2018, 03:13 PM
What about the Hamilton players and supporters?

I said in my post the only consideration other than the pitch should be the Hamilton players getting to the stadium ok.

Hamilton supporters probably shouldn’t travel but I don’t the game should be called off because of that.

Hibby70
27-02-2018, 03:14 PM
I couldn’t live any closer to the stadium but I’d totally understand if it was called off tomorrow

You providing the hot chocolate if we all get stranded after the game?

lapsedhibee
27-02-2018, 03:15 PM
If the forecast is right it'll be snowing heavily from early morning right through until Thursday. Don't think the M8 will be too clever for the accies team if that's the case

Forecast today, for Edinburgh, has been heavy snow at 3 and 4 o'clock this afternoon. There hasn't been any heavy snow.

JimBHibees
27-02-2018, 03:16 PM
I said in my post the only consideration other than the pitch should be the Hamilton players getting to the stadium ok.

Hamilton supporters probably shouldn’t travel but I don’t the game should be called off because of that.

I think it is fair to say if it is dangerous for one teams fans to travel the game should be called off. Imagine if it was the other way round.

staunchhibby
27-02-2018, 03:17 PM
Been a couple of heavy snow showers in west lothian

bingo70
27-02-2018, 03:19 PM
I think it is fair to say if it is dangerous for one teams fans to travel the game should be called off. Imagine if it was the other way round.

As someone that doesn’t go to away games that wouldn’t really bother me tbh.

lord bunberry
27-02-2018, 03:21 PM
How big an area would the police consider though. If it’s fine in Edinburgh, but terrible in other areas, would the police call it off. I agree with bingo on this, as long as the Hamilton team can get here and the conditions are fine in Edinburgh, the game should go ahead.

hibee_girl
27-02-2018, 03:22 PM

Well as long as you’re ok eh? :greengrin

HoboHarry
27-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Feartie.......

:wink:

bingo70
27-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Well as long as you’re ok eh? :greengrin

Don’t know if ‘ok’ is how I’d put it, I might get a bit cold walking back to my house in Lochend after the game 😜

1van Sprou7e
27-02-2018, 03:37 PM
Forecast today, for Edinburgh, has been heavy snow at 3 and 4 o'clock this afternoon. There hasn't been any heavy snow.

Where are you? I've seen a lot of heavy snow, it's just not cold enough to settle yet

supermcginn
27-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Reeally heavy snow out here at the gyle!

lapsedhibee
27-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Where are you? I've seen a lot of heavy snow, it's just not cold enough to settle yet

Central Edinburgh. There's been flurries of snow all right, maybe lasting 10 minutes. Nothing that I'd call heavy. I think we won the league cup in worse.

Borderhibbie76
27-02-2018, 03:43 PM
I get this issue with other areas but there is almost no snow in Edinburgh.... Would we be allowed to cancel?Not ALL hibs fans live in Edinburgh mate- if it's down to public safety and the transport minister advises people not to travel of course it will be called off

1van Sprou7e
27-02-2018, 03:45 PM
Central Edinburgh. There's been flurries of snow all right, maybe lasting 10 minutes. Nothing that I'd call heavy. I think we won the league cup in worse.

Fair, I'd definitely describe it as heavy although each time it has only lasted a matter of minutes

Anyway it should start to get more interesting tonight and tomorrow :hyper

Sauzee16
27-02-2018, 03:46 PM

Tell that to the players and coaching staff who don't live in Edinburgh. The bridge is murder to cross just now having came from Fife earlier.
Or tell that to the match sponsored mascots, officials etc.

lapsedhibee
27-02-2018, 03:47 PM
Tell that to the players and coaching staff who don't live in Edinburgh. The bridge is murder to cross just now having came from Fife earlier.

In what way?

Borderhibbie76
27-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Where are you? I've seen a lot of heavy snow, it's just not cold enough to settle yetI've just driven from Fife to East Lothian and drove thru several blizzards on the way...plenty snow about now and it's just the appetizers

bingo70
27-02-2018, 03:48 PM
In what way?

Probably the same weather both ways.

Sauzee16
27-02-2018, 03:49 PM
In what way?

Wind snow hail storm can't see the other side. And this is it before the main weather hits

lapsedhibee
27-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Wind snow hail storm can't see the other side. And this is it before the main weather hits

Presumably there's as many Hearts players and staff living outside Edinburgh as Hibs players and staff. Inexplicably their game hasn't been postponed.

stoneyburn hibs
27-02-2018, 03:58 PM
I think it will be called off. I really don't fancy sitting in a wind chill of minus ten.

Moulin Yarns
27-02-2018, 03:59 PM
Presumably there's as many Hearts players and staff living outside Edinburgh as Hibs players and staff. Inexplicably their game hasn't been postponed.

The seriously bad weather is due tomorrow and Thursday. You aint seen nuffin yet!!

HoboHarry
27-02-2018, 03:59 PM
Ball always has snow on it when they play - normal service as far as they are concerned.......

porthibbie
27-02-2018, 04:11 PM
I've just driven from Fife to East Lothian and drove thru several blizzards on the way...plenty snow about now and it's just the appetizers

Anyone looking for live weather can look at the live cameras covering the whole of Scotland. Always a good source .
WWW://trafficscotland.org/livetrafficcameras/

Sauzee16
27-02-2018, 04:14 PM

Whilst I agree it's meant to be a lot worse tomorrow with all due respect. No idea why hearts enter your thoughts though.

Famous Fiver
27-02-2018, 04:14 PM
Early days of undersoil heating every other game in the UK was off and we played Man U in a friendly. Road conditions terrible, snow and ice everywhere.

Pitch was fine but I ended up on my erchie in the Dunbar end. Slid from top to bottom of the terracing if I remember correctly.

Fans don't know they are born nowadays

Also they just used an orange ball if there was snow about. I am sure our ground staff can clear the lines at half time if required.

I remember Jimmy O'Rourke putting the ball through McCloys legs at ER, and the ball was travelling so slowly that it didn't reach the snow in the goals where the lines had been cleared. Quite obviously over the line though. And that was the days before VAR etc.

What's the problem for tomorrow?

brog
27-02-2018, 04:15 PM

As I said before, why should football be singled out? Should we close all the shops, cinemas, theatres, pubs & restaurants as well? As for this being the highest ever
( red ) warning, that's only since the current system came in which I believe is only a few years ago. I remember us beating Rangers 1-0, Neil Martin & we played on hard packed snow with the lines in red. I'm a strong believer in H & S but it's up to people to take all factors into account before they make their decision as to whether to attend the game.

CropleyWasGod
27-02-2018, 04:16 PM
Early days of undersoil heating every other game in the UK was off and we played Man U in a friendly. Road conditions terrible, snow and ice everywhere.

Pitch was fine but I ended up on my erchie in the Dunbar end. Slid from top to bottom of the terracing if I remember correctly.

Also they just used an orange ball if there was snow about. I am sure our ground staff can clear the lines at half time if required.

I remember Jimmy O'Rourke putting the ball through McCloys legs at ER, and the ball was travelling so slowly that it didn't reach the snow in the goals where the lines had been cleared. Quite obviously over the line though. And that was the days before VAR etc.

Snowflakes, apparently.

Sauzee16
27-02-2018, 04:16 PM

Health and Safely of all concerned. I would also prefer more through the gate eventually. Nothing to do with me freezing my arse it's about the public and the club losing money.

Hibbyradge
27-02-2018, 04:22 PM

Neither has ours.

Hibrandenburg
27-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Probably the same weather both ways.

:faf:

lapsedhibee
27-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Neither has ours.
Good. Your ticket won't be wasted then!

Few of tonight's games have been called off, though the BBC have reported this, the lying ********, as being due to the state of pitches, and haven't mentioned flurries of snow sorry impassable blizzards at the other side of the country etc etc etc being the reason.

NAE NOOKIE
27-02-2018, 04:38 PM

Where to even start with that :faf:

CMurdoch
27-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Snow at Easter Road NOW!!!!
I will be pitchside in 25 mins

Hibbyradge
27-02-2018, 04:42 PM
Why are people so opposed to common sense when it comes to football?

Conditions tomorrow will be very unpleasant, at best.

The football on offer will likely suffer as a result, the number of people attending will be reduced, and those that do go will be freezing.

And that's before you consider the potential risk to life and limb.

It would be simple to reschedule the game after this unusual weather front has passed.

I genuinely don't understand the opposition to that happening, if the snow arrives as forecast.

LustForLeith
27-02-2018, 04:53 PM

The football on offer will likely suffer as a result, the number of people attending will be reduced, and those that do go will be freezing.

It would be simple to reschedule the game after this unusual weather front has passed.

I genuinely don't understand the opposition to that happening, if the snow arrives as forecast.

Agree 100%

G B Young
27-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Yams v Killie now in doubt. Should have been called off earlier.

Pretty Boy
27-02-2018, 04:55 PM
I hope they make a decision at a sensible time. I remember an announcement that a game v Morton was on a couple of seasons ago despite Morton fans saying there was major flooding around the ground early morning. We got to Port Glasgow for about 1pm just as they announced the game was off on Police advice due to 'unforeseen conditions around the ground'.

Get a decision made tomorrow AM and save any wasted journeys. Police ahould be taking it out the clubs hands if the advice is against non essential travel.

lord bunberry
27-02-2018, 04:57 PM

If the snow arrives as forecast I don’t think there’s any doubt the game will be off. The issue is, should we cancel the game if Edinburgh misses most of the snow. There’s people saying the game should be off if the weather is bad outside Edinburgh, due to fans traveling from other areas. I wouldn’t have thought that the game would be cancelled if Edinburgh is fine.

green day
27-02-2018, 05:00 PM
If the snow arrives as forecast I don’t think there’s any doubt the game will be off. The issue is, should we cancel the game if Edinburgh misses most of the snow. There’s people saying the game should be off if the weather is bad outside Edinburgh, due to fans traveling from other areas. I wouldn’t have thought that the game would be cancelled if Edinburgh is fine.

The game will only be off if either Hamilton cant make it through, or the Police decide that the access to the stadium is too dangerous.

Home location of our fans wont be a factor.

lord bunberry
27-02-2018, 05:02 PM
The game will only be off if either Hamilton cant make it through, or the Police decide that the access to the stadium is too dangerous.

That’s what I think as well.

Pete
27-02-2018, 05:03 PM
As long as people coming from out of town get a heads up, I won’t mind.

Nothing worse than being told over the radio that the games off when you’re on the train or motorway.

Eaststandee
27-02-2018, 05:04 PM

It's a lot more dangerous to travel since the invention of the car :na na:

lapsedhibee
27-02-2018, 05:05 PM
Why?

Albanian Hibs
27-02-2018, 05:05 PM

Where are you hearing this? Hardly any snow has fallen

Hibbyradge
27-02-2018, 05:07 PM

I was at the Man U game. Round about 1979?

Willie Jamieson scored for us, iirc.

It was a dreadful game and the chat was that it only went ahead because Hibs had to pay Man U for turning up even if the match was called off so Hibs needed the gate money.

james62
27-02-2018, 05:10 PM
Why?

Big cup game at the weekend, Tynecastle has a habit of being unplayable in those circumstances :hmmm:

hibbyfraelibby
27-02-2018, 05:10 PM

Don't think so, way beyond their powers although widely quoted as an excuse in the past, it is a call for the club.

Do you think the Police would be allowed to call off a performance at say the Playhouse just because of the weather? No.

Do you think the Police have the power to shut your place of work or business for a few snowflakes? No.

Police can advise but not force the issue. If Tiny Tincastle was safe to open for the last league game then no reason to stop tomorrow night's game.

G B Young
27-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Where are you hearing this? Hardly any snow has fallen

Radio Clyde. But the latest bulletin hasn't mentioned it so I think the guy mistakenly said Tynecastle instead of Tannadice when he said there was a pitch inspection.

G B Young
27-02-2018, 05:15 PM
I was at the Man U game. Round about 1979?

Willie Jamieson scored for us, iirc.

It was a dreadful game and the chat was that it only went ahead because Hibs had to pay Man U for turning up even if the match was called off so Hibs needed the gate money.

Boxing Day 1981. Goals here (as you say Jamieson scored, causing Bertie Auld to twirl his bunnet in celebration):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3YU85Z1nJc

I remember watching this on Scotsport the next day. Looks a decent crowd bearing in mind the late notice and the weather.

Pete
27-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Why?

The snow has damaged the main stand.

Smartie
27-02-2018, 05:19 PM
My partner was due to give birth to our first child 8 days ago, so we're waiting for her to go into labour at any moment.

All this talk of "the imminent arrival of the Beast from the East" is making me chuckle a bit, as if it is referring to our baby.

The baby is a big one, all the way through the pregnancy they were measuring a week or 2 ahead of schedule, so "the Beast" may be quite accurate.

My partner is very uncomfortable, as happens at this stage in a pregnancy. I told her at the weekend that Paul Hanlon was missing the game on Saturday as his wife had given birth the night before, expecting some sort of "that's nice" in response.

"F*****g bitch" was what she said.

Needless to say, if this baby still hasn't arrived I'll be looking to get out of the house for a couple of hours tomorrow night.

ALF TUPPER
27-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Why?

Rust ? 😂😂

Hibbyradge
27-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Boxing Day 1981. Goals here (as you say Jamieson scored):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3YU85Z1nJc

I remember watching this on Scotsport the next day. Looks a decent crowd bearing in mind the late notice and the weather.

19000 I seem to recall, but I could have got that wrong too.

After the game, my mates and I met Willie Jamieson somewhere around Bread Street, Tipplers maybe.

He was playing a fruit machine and we congratulated him on his goal ( been on a bit of a scoring streak).

He came out with the immortal line, "A goal a game will do me, boys", and returned his attention to the puggy. :hilarious

Sir David Gray
27-02-2018, 05:21 PM

If a red weather warning is in force either in Edinburgh or anywhere in the surrounding areas (which is apparently on the cards for tomorrow) then the decision will be made for them.

The definition of such a warning is that a risk to life is likely. Even although you can argue that it's up to the individual to decide whether to travel or not, if a risk to life is described as "likely" I cannot see how the authorities will be able to come to any decision other than to postpone the game.

Hibbyradge
27-02-2018, 05:22 PM
My partner was due to give birth to our first child 8 days ago, so we're waiting for her to go into labour at any moment.

All this talk of "the imminent arrival of the Beast from the East" is making me chuckle a bit, as if it is referring to our baby.

The baby is a big one, all the way through the pregnancy they were measuring a week or 2 ahead of schedule, so "the Beast" may be quite accurate.

My partner is very uncomfortable, as happens at this stage in a pregnancy. I told her at the weekend that Paul Hanlon was missing the game on Saturday as his wife had given birth the night before, expecting some sort of "that's nice" in response.

Needless to say, if this baby still hasn't arrived I'll be looking to get out of the house for a couple of hours tomorrow night.

:faf: Brilliant!

Good luck to both of you, and the Beast when he/she arrives.

Billy Whizz
27-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Dundee Utd v Queens just called off

bingo70
27-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Where to even start with that :faf:

The same property in Edinburgh does cost more than the same type of property outside Edinburgh?

What’s funny about that?

Sir David Gray
27-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Dundee Utd v Queens just called off

It was postponed just before 6pm which is a disgrace considering where the away team is travelling from.

hibbyfraelibby
27-02-2018, 05:31 PM

Latest weather for tomorrow shows snow up until 6.00pm ish with flurries between 7pm and 10pm. Wear yer long johns.

Billy Whizz
27-02-2018, 05:31 PM
It was postponed just before 6pm which is a disgrace considering where the away team is travelling from.

Agree, but think they’ve just had an avalanche of snow in a short period of time
Perth just down the road seems to be ok at the moment

lyonhibs
27-02-2018, 05:32 PM
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/environment/uk-completely-unprepared-for-snow-for-10438th-winter-running-20161118117393

G B Young
27-02-2018, 05:32 PM
Radio Clyde. But the latest bulletin hasn't mentioned it so I think the guy mistakenly said Tynecastle instead of Tannadice when he said there was a pitch inspection.

Edit: In saying that, I gather the weather in the vicinity of the rust bucket has taken a turn for the worse so we may yet see this game fail to last the 90 minutes.

JohnMcM
27-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Interesting exchange of brotherly love here regarding meteorological considerations.

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/175591-weather/&do=findComment&comment=6528523

Borderhibbie76
27-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Presumably there's as many Hearts players and staff living outside Edinburgh as Hibs players and staff. Inexplicably their game hasn't been postponed.Weather warning doesn't start till 6am tomorrow tho...Hertz game is tonight

Joe6-2
27-02-2018, 05:37 PM

Brilliant! All the beast.......oops, sorry, best

lapsedhibee
27-02-2018, 05:37 PM
Weather warning doesn't start till 6am tomorrow tho...Hertz game is tonight

There's been a weather warning in force all day today for Edinburgh. From 00:05 this morning. Heavy snow predicted with 80-90% probability. There's been practically no snow in Edinburgh today.

Borderhibbie76
27-02-2018, 05:41 PM
There's been a weather warning in force all day today for Edinburgh. From 00:05 this morning. Heavy snow predicted with 80-90% probability. There's been practically no snow in Edinburgh today.But the Amber warning doesn't kick in till 6am tomorrow...any news outlet has been reporting the worse conditions won t kick in till tomorrow

Hibbyradge
27-02-2018, 05:48 PM
But the Amber warning doesn't kick in till 6am tomorrow...any news outlet has been reporting the worse conditions won t kick in till tomorrow

Yep.

It's been a yellow warning today, Amber tomorrow.

https://s10.postimg.org/x7t3nvoe1/Screenshot_20180227-184526.png

Billy Whizz
27-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Yep.

It's been a yellow warning today, Amber tomorrow.

https://s10.postimg.org/x7t3nvoe1/Screenshot_20180227-184526.png

If that’s what happens tomorrow, there’s no way our game will be on

Captain Trips
27-02-2018, 05:57 PM
Is there a chance this is yet another overreaction to the weather that seems to happen quite a lot? I am though in the West a very light snowfall earlier though.