PDA

View Full Version : Dylan mcgeouch

Babyshamble
25-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Apologies if this has been posted before.are we any further forward in him signing a new deal ? Cheers lads 👍

Leith's finest
25-02-2018, 02:48 PM
Apologies if this has been posted before.are we any further forward in him signing a new deal ? Cheers lads 👍
Aberdeen are still meant to be interested in him still

Elephant Stone
25-02-2018, 02:56 PM
In Lennon's Hibs TV interview during the week (think it was the Killie preview one) he didn't seem very confident about Dylan signing, his words were that he "wouldn't be surprised" if he left.

Stevie Reid
25-02-2018, 03:37 PM
In Lennon's Hibs TV interview during the week (think it was the Killie preview one) he didn't seem very confident about Dylan signing, his words were that he "wouldn't be surprised" if he left.

I certainly wouldn't be either. He'll get offered more money by others than us, I'm sure of that.

I love him, but he's not irreplaceable, certainly not using the wages that he will be offered by us.

Stuart93
25-02-2018, 03:42 PM
Be poor from him if he joins Aberdeen, a team who seem to be on the downward spiral & barely give any OF teams a game.

Stevie Reid
25-02-2018, 03:45 PM
Be poor from him if he joins Aberdeen, a team who seem to be on the downward spiral & barely give any OF teams a game.

If it comes down to a straightforward money decision, he'll go. But he's had the best three years of his career, and won medals here. Edinburgh is nicer than Aberdeen also.

LustForLeith
25-02-2018, 03:48 PM

Not sure if they are on a downward spiral. They’ve had second place pretty much to themselves for ages. They were never going to win the league.

overdrive
25-02-2018, 03:51 PM
If it comes down to a straightforward money decision, he'll go. But he's had the best three years of his career, and won medals here. Edinburgh is nicer than Aberdeen also.

I’m not sure he lives here though. I’ve seen him get dropped off at motorway service stations after away games by the team bus previously to presumably be picked up by someone else. I had assumed this was because he lived in the Weedge. Saying that, I’d imagine he’d move to Aberdeen if he signed for the sheep as I wouldn’t imagine a commute there from Glasgow would be ideal.

Stevie Reid
25-02-2018, 03:52 PM
I’m not sure he lives here though. I’ve seen him get dropped off at motorway service stations after away games by the team bus previously to presumably be picked up by someone else. I had assumed this was because he lived in the Weedge. Saying that, I’d imagine he’d move to Aberdeen if he signed for the sheep as I wouldn’t imagine a commute there from Glasgow would be ideal.

Fair enough. Though the fact that he doesn't live here might work in our favour if he's settled where he is - as you say, a commute to Aberdeen would be undesirable.

Billy Whizz
25-02-2018, 03:54 PM
He needs to be careful where he goes. English championship maybe appealing, but they play 44 games, can he last that plus the cup cup games?
If he signs for Dons, is he signing for the team or McInnes. Although McInnes turned down Rangers, think he’d be off at the 1st available big job in England
Hopefully he’s hanging on until McGinn is sold, we may up our offer and the deal is done

cammy1969
25-02-2018, 03:56 PM

I thought he shared a flat with sjm in town but I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overdrive
25-02-2018, 04:00 PM
I thought he shared a flat with sjm in town but I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did SJM not move back West in the Summer?

Billy Whizz
25-02-2018, 04:02 PM
Did SJM not move back West in the Summer?

Think he sold his house, but Hibs have flats that they let the players use/rent

jeffers
25-02-2018, 05:03 PM
Really not fussed if he stays or not would far rather we used any money to tie up Scott Allan. I know I'm in a very small minority in that I don't rate him as highly as others. He has ability and yes I understand he retains possession but too often he passes the ball backwards. I find him a very frustrating player as he definitely has the ability to do so much more.

snooky
25-02-2018, 05:14 PM
Really not fussed if he stays or not would far rather we used any money to tie up Scott Allan. I know I'm in a very small minority in that I don't rate him as highly as others. He has ability and yes I understand he retains possession but too often he passes the ball backwards. I find him a very frustrating player as he definitely has the ability to do so much more.

I like Dylan however, like all players he is replaceable.
More importantly, it all depends on who we replace him with.

jeffers
25-02-2018, 05:16 PM
I like Dylan however, like all players he is replaceable.
More importantly, it all depends on who we replace him with.

Agreed, but (and I expect to get shot down for this) the part of the field he insists on playing in, I'd have Bartley there instead.

Nameless
25-02-2018, 05:22 PM
I've a nagging feeling he'll end up back at the Huns.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

jacomo
26-02-2018, 08:48 AM
If he has the opportunity to double or even triple his wages elsewhere then you cannot blame him for leaving.

Footballing wise, though, it’s a risk. He is good for us and we are good for him. Not every club will appreciate the qualities he brings to the team.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-02-2018, 09:05 AM
If he goes we can hardly say that we have been hard done by as he has been fantastic for us at times. No intention of raking up past stuff but if confidence and regular football are key to his performance level rather than just being free from injury he may not get that elsewhere. His decision though.

Smartie
26-02-2018, 09:07 AM
I've a nagging feeling he'll end up back at the Huns.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Me too.

He'll have been tapped up long ago, and won't want the grief that would go with announcing it now.

Sauzee16
26-02-2018, 09:30 AM
My thoughts are he will be off down South with McGinn.

cabbageandribs1875
26-02-2018, 09:34 AM
enjoy the midfield we have, i for one will be a tad peeved with Dylan when/if he leaves without getting our club at least a fee for him

SirDavidsNapper
26-02-2018, 09:37 AM
enjoy the midfield we have, i'l be a tad peeved with Dylan when/if he leaves without getting our club at least a fee for him

We could have a whole midfield to replace in the summer unfortunately

Last Minute
26-02-2018, 09:39 AM
Think he sold his house, but Hibs have flats that they let the players use/rent

Dylan and McGinn share a flat together in the meadowbank area. they rent it from a property company in the west end . my old line manager collects from them direct. so I would take it both are away in the summer.

cabbageandribs1875
26-02-2018, 09:39 AM

:agree: at least we still have Marv for another season

Golden Bear
26-02-2018, 09:47 AM

:agree:

He's a neat, tidy and creative football player but I often feel as though he just doesn't do enough during the course of 90 mins. Hibs have been very good to him and seen him through a difficult period in his career.

As ever though, money counts and loyalty takes very much second place.

Smartie
26-02-2018, 09:59 AM
He's one of those players that doesn't look like he does much, but he does really.

I think it was Didier Deschamps who was referred to as "the water carrier".

McGeouch is tidy in possession, he moves forward with the ball and is happy to take it in in tight situations.

No, he doesn't do the bone-crunching tackles, the 50 yard raking passes, the defence-splitters, the raking shots from distance, the beating defenders and whipping balls in that easily catch the eye.

He does the basics very well, and we have always looked poorer when he's not been in the side.

Without players like McGeouch you can easily turn into an accidental hoofball side.

I think he's a very, very important player and would be a massive loss, and I'm sure other teams would be happy to have him.

jeffers
26-02-2018, 11:15 AM
He's one of those players that doesn't look like he does much, but he does really.

McGeouch is tidy in possession, he moves forward with the ball and is happy to take it in in tight situations.

No, he doesn't do the bone-crunching tackles, the 50 yard raking passes, the defence-splitters, the raking shots from distance, the beating defenders and whipping balls in that easily catch the eye.

He does the basics very well, and we have always looked poorer when he's not been in the side.

Without players like McGeouch you can easily turn into an accidental hoofball side.

I think he's a very, very important player and would be a massive loss, and I'm sure other teams would be happy to have him.

I think he's a decent player, who has ability but doesn't use it anywhere near to his capabilities. As I've said before I know I'm in the minority but I've rarely seen a player who gets so much praise and adulation for just doing the basics. He's not a match winner, he rarely creates, even more rarely scores, plays in a deep midfield role but switches off too often and lets opposition players run beyond him. I thought earlier in the season he was going to start playing further forward, his performance against Hearts in the 1-0 win at ER was outstanding, but he's reverted back to playing in front of the back four where his impact is far less. I've never watched a game he wasn't playing in and thought we were missing his contribution and I certainly don't remember us resorting to hoofball without him.

I don't think him leaving would be much of a loss at all, it would mean Bartley could play as the holding midfielder, a job he does imo far better.

Captain Trips
26-02-2018, 11:25 AM
It will be a great squad and team we have if DM going is OK.

jeffers
26-02-2018, 11:31 AM
It will be a great squad and team we have if DM going is OK.

There was a lot of discussion of a similar nature when Fraser Fyvie left, we've coped well enough without him.

MWHIBBIES
26-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Good lord...passes the ball backwards? Is that because he has twice the amount of passes as everyone else? Quality player, nothing frustrating about him.

we are hibs
26-02-2018, 11:34 AM
There was a lot of discussion of a similar nature when Fraser Fyvie left, we've coped well enough without him.

Mcgeouch would be a far greater loss than fyvie.

jeffers
26-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Good lord...passes the ball backwards? Is that because he has twice the amount of passes as everyone else? Quality player, nothing frustrating about him.

Yeah passes the ball backwards, so what if he has twice the amount of passes as anyone else. He has the ability to do so much more if he took more responsibility so yes frustrating.

makaveli1875
26-02-2018, 11:38 AM

this

Borderhibbie76
26-02-2018, 11:52 AM
thisNot even in question...if Dylan goes he's a much greater loss than Fyvie

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
26-02-2018, 12:49 PM

Totally agree with that he sets the tempo of how we play. Keeps possession very well and does the simple things well.

Would be gutted if he went to another spl team

MB62
26-02-2018, 12:50 PM

I was quite impressed by Killie's Mulumbu on Saturday, reckon he could do a job for us next season, IF available.

Brightside
26-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Yeah passes the ball backwards, so what if he has twice the amount of passes as anyone else. He has the ability to do so much more if he took more responsibility so yes frustrating.

Or in other words keeps possession.

Lago
26-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Despite the wailing & nashing of teeth when Ffyie left he was no loss at all, good call on the Manager's part.

jeffers
26-02-2018, 01:33 PM
Or in other words keeps possession.

I expect a bit more than keeping possession from someone I'm constantly told on here is our best player.

Brightside
26-02-2018, 03:50 PM
I expect a bit more than keeping possession from someone I'm constantly told on here is our best player.

But his job is to be the pivot player... some of the best in the world do the exact same job just in better leagues.

J-C
26-02-2018, 03:56 PM

It's not just keeping possession, it's being able to do it in tight situations with good composure and keeping the ball moving, the only time he'l lose possession is when he misplaces a pass and that's rarely.

When you have a midfield they all have various jobs to do, some ball winner like Bartley, other all action box to box like McGinn, then we have clever players like Allan and then we have the quarterbacks of the team like McGeouch. Players like Dylan make the team tick by keeping the ball and keep it moving.

bingo70
26-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Despite the wailing & nashing of teeth when Ffyie left he was no loss at all, good call on the Manager's part.

I liked Fyvie and if Mcgeouch was to leave in the summer I think he’d be an ok replacement. Certainly as a squad player anyway.

Think Dundee Utd’s form has completely collapsed since he got injured which I don’t think is a coincidence.

Smartie
26-02-2018, 04:39 PM
I remember thinking that Paul Lambert was a pretty tidy midfielder who I'd be happy enough to see at Hibs.

I didn't have him down as a Champions League winner.

Some players scream quality out at you, some area bit more understated. McGeouch is a bit understated, but superb nonetheless (and very valuable).

We always miss him when he doesn't play.

And he's a totally different player to Bartley. If you need an enforcer, you play Bartley. If you need a pivot, you play McGeouch. Yes, they both play a deep midfield role, but the roles they play are different.

Lago
26-02-2018, 04:46 PM
I liked Fyvie and if Mcgeouch was to leave in the summer I think he’d be an ok replacement. Certainly as a squad player anyway.

Think Dundee Utd’s form has completely collapsed since he got injured which I don’t think is a coincidence.
Yip would agree.

jeffers
26-02-2018, 04:47 PM
It's not just keeping possession, it's being able to do it in tight situations with good composure and keeping the ball moving, the only time he'l lose possession is when he misplaces a pass and that's rarely.

When you have a midfield they all have various jobs to do, some ball winner like Bartley, other all action box to box like McGinn, then we have clever players like Allan and then we have the quarterbacks of the team like McGeouch. Players like Dylan make the team tick by keeping the ball and keep it moving.

I get what you, underscore and others are saying about him I just don't happen to agree with it. I've never once said he's not a decent player, and I've watched enough football over my lifetime to appreciate a team needs different types of players who complement each other. I just don't get the love in with him and feel his actual contribution in a game is far less than is made out. Keeping possession is of course a good thing, but taking it off the back four and passing it straight back doesn't get me waxing lyrical about what a great player he is - and I feel he does that too often. He has the ability to do more, when he gets in a decent position I want to see him take more responsibility, drive into the box, take a shot, not take the easy option as he usually does.

You refer to him as a quarterback but a quarterback is the main man, the guy who makes things happen where it matters, that's not and never has been McGeouch. I'd say that would be better attributed to Scott Allan, but that's a totally different discussion.

As I've said before I know I'm in the minority but while he plays in his current manner I'll never understand why he gets such high praise, in the same way those who rate him so highly will not understand why I don't feel that way.

Forza Fred
26-02-2018, 04:47 PM
I think he’ll be off down south to get probably his last big pay cheque.

Aberdeen May pay more than us, but not enough to completely change your lifestyle/surroundings I would have thought, when you are at a club and almost an automatic first choice.

Ringothedog
26-02-2018, 04:54 PM

Aberdeen May pay more than us, but not enough to completely change your lifestyle/surroundings I would have thought, when you are at a club and almost an automatic first choice.
He is only 25 so should have a couple of more good contracts to come,certainly not his last.

Vini1875
26-02-2018, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure that a lot of fans understand the various jobs in a modern football team. I mean I want McGeouch to charge forward at a break neck speed dribbling past at least three opposition players, dropping his shoulder and wrong footing the rest and finally lashing the ball into the top corner. I might get frustrated that he doesn't, in fact that they all don't do it.

Members of a team are sent out to do various jobs, with some freedom to improvise a bit, but each has a job. It is what makes managers so important, because they study the opponents and work out how to beat them. The manager spends all week letting the players know what he wants from them. Some fans might think McGeouch should be doing something else, but I bet he is doing exactly as he has been instructed.

If he goes we will miss him no doubt about it.

Allant1981
26-02-2018, 05:03 PM

he will have 3 if not 4 contracts before he finishes playing, he has only just turned 25

WhileTheChief..
26-02-2018, 05:40 PM

Agreed. Always turns and runs or passes backwards.

Allan is the complete opposite, always looking to get the ball forward as soon as possible.

I’d tell McGeogh he’s got until the split to make his mind up. If he doesn’t sign then withdraw the offer.

1van Sprou7e
26-02-2018, 05:43 PM

Allan is the complete opposite, always looking to get the ball forward as soon as possible.

I’d tell McGeogh he’s got until the split to make his mind up. If he doesn’t sign then withdraw the offer.

Seems like a great way to unsettle a key player before the end of the season

He will wait until the end of the season to make a final decision and he has every right to do so

WhileTheChief..
26-02-2018, 06:00 PM
Got to draw a line somewhere, he’s had had plenty time to think about it.

Basically he’s holding out to see if he can get a better offer elsewhere. Of course that’s his right and fair enough. Doesn’t mean that we need to wait on him though.

Kinda feels like he’s using us and will only sign if nothing better comes along. Not exactly commitment to the cause!

If if we get to the end of the season do we then wait until the start of next season for him to make his mind up? Or the end of the transfer window?

It could be argued that would be unsettling for the squad and Lennon’s plans :na na:

1van Sprou7e
26-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Got to draw a line somewhere, he’s had had plenty time to think about it.

Basically he’s holding out to see if he can get a better offer elsewhere. Of course that’s his right and fair enough. Doesn’t mean that we need to wait on him though.

Kinda feels like he’s using us and will only sign if nothing better comes along. Not exactly commitment to the cause!

If if we get to the end of the season do we then wait until the start of next season for him to make his mind up? Or the end of the transfer window?

It could be argued that would be unsettling for the squad and Lennon’s plans :na na:

Set a deadline in the summer sure, but forcing a player to make such a big decision about his future while the season is still ongoing is not good for morale or performance

Roxyhibee
26-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Dylan is a top player and would love him to stay. We’d miss him.

But if he wants to choose a few years of big pay for his future, best of luck to him. Legend.

Broken Gnome
26-02-2018, 06:43 PM

Find the 1-0 Hearts highlights and dig out the piece of play where he ripped the proverbial out of the Hearts midfield and set up Boyle, just before Whittaker fired over late in the first half.

You may well reply that's what he doesn't do enough of but to say he ALWAYS, and I'm not taking that literally, goes backwards isn't true at all. Played some blinding throughballs this year.

Eyrie
26-02-2018, 07:31 PM

Telling players that they wouldn't be here next season didn't work for Butcher, so why would it work for Lennon?

WhileTheChief..
26-02-2018, 07:44 PM
We’re not telling him he’s not wanted - there’s an offer on the table for him.

He’s kinda saying he doesn’t want to be here next year by not signing.

Eyrie
26-02-2018, 07:53 PM

It's difficult to see why he would regard the offer being withdrawn as anything else.

Right now McGeouch hasn't made his mind up because he wants to keep his options open. Let's hope he makes the right choice when he does decide.

noz
26-02-2018, 07:55 PM
Find the 1-0 Hearts highlights and dig out the piece of play where he ripped the proverbial out of the Hearts midfield and set up Boyle, just before Whittaker fired over late in the first half.

You may well reply that's what he doesn't do enough of but to say he ALWAYS, and I'm not taking that literally, goes backwards isn't true at all. Played some blinding throughballs this year.

Agreed. He was brilliant in that game. Think Bartley was playing that night which explains maybe why he had more freedom to get forward. A joy to watch he was.

Smartie
26-02-2018, 08:03 PM
If his performance drops, we can think about playing silly beggars with his contract offer.

There's an offer on the table, he's playing well in a team that's playing well.

Patience chaps.

If he stays, great. If he moves on, so do we.

jacomo
26-02-2018, 09:55 PM
If his performance drops, we can think about playing silly beggars with his contract offer.

There's an offer on the table, he's playing well in a team that's playing well.

Patience chaps.

If he stays, great. If he moves on, so do we.

The 2nd offer is on the table.

Just have to let this one play out.

26-02-2018, 09:58 PM
Have not looked to closely at all the posts but if D wants to leave. Hey ho it happens at all clubs. He is still a 21/05/2016 and that’s all that matters for me.

27-02-2018, 02:34 AM
Have any of the departees of the class of 21.5.16 gone on to bigger and better things? Niklas Gunnarsson's club Djurgården finished 3rd and have qualified for the Europa League so arguably he has, but his departure was due to him reaching the end of his loan spell. Same with Hendo who had only just got his move to Bari so it's too early to say if it's a good move or not.

Hopefully Dylan will realise how good he has it with Hibs and signs the extension.

JimBHibees
27-02-2018, 06:32 AM
I get what you, underscore and others are saying about him I just don't happen to agree with it. I've never once said he's not a decent player, and I've watched enough football over my lifetime to appreciate a team needs different types of players who complement each other. I just don't get the love in with him and feel his actual contribution in a game is far less than is made out. Keeping possession is of course a good thing, but taking it off the back four and passing it straight back doesn't get me waxing lyrical about what a great player he is - and I feel he does that too often. He has the ability to do more, when he gets in a decent position I want to see him take more responsibility, drive into the box, take a shot, not take the easy option as he usually does.

You refer to him as a quarterback but a quarterback is the main man, the guy who makes things happen where it matters, that's not and never has been McGeouch. I'd say that would be better attributed to Scott Allan, but that's a totally different discussion.

As I've said before I know I'm in the minority but while he plays in his current manner I'll never understand why he gets such high praise, in the same way those who rate him so highly will not understand why I don't feel that way.

Watch back the first derby of the season he was amazing that night. Totally ran the game.

Eaststand
27-02-2018, 06:37 AM
I may be imagining it, but I thought somebody posted fairly recently that we should expect good news soon about Dylan.
Maybe they could supply an update ?

GGTTH

FilipinoHibs
27-02-2018, 07:06 AM
I may be imagining it, but I thought somebody posted fairly recently that we should expect good news soon about Dylan.
Maybe they could supply an update ?

GGTTH

Yes I had that dream too!

southern hibby
27-02-2018, 07:13 AM
Spoke to him in Portugal and asked if he was staying he said he really wasn’t sure as it was down to his agent. Now not sure if he genuinely expected us to believe that or it was just a get out of jail free card from the conversation but are footballers that thick that they leave decisions like this to their agents? Or do they think we’re thick enough to buy this excuse?

Really hope he stays but not holding out much hope.

GGTTH

calumhibee1
27-02-2018, 07:13 AM
Watch back the first derby of the season he was amazing that night. Totally ran the game.

He was unbelievable that night.

Stuart93
27-02-2018, 07:17 AM
Strange to think we might be without mcginn, mcgeouch and (obviously) Allan next season, as well as being without our two current strikers, we might sign kamberi...another rebuilding job needed.

27-02-2018, 07:49 AM
Strange to think we might be without mcginn, mcgeouch and (obviously) Allan next season, as well as being without our two current strikers, we might sign kamberi...another rebuilding job needed.

In Lennon we trust... except when it comes to keeping the heid on the touchline.

jeffers
27-02-2018, 08:05 AM

Totally agree, in one of my earlier posts I said he was outstanding that night, playing in much more advanced position. It's the best I've seen him in a Hibs jersey. That's my main issue with him he has that ability to effect a game where it matters, just doesn't do that enough imo. To the poster who suggested he plays to the instructions from the manager was he told that night to push forward and every other game to sit deep ??

J-C
27-02-2018, 08:21 AM

It's difficult to see why he would regard the offer being withdrawn as anything else.

Right now McGeouch hasn't made his mind up because he wants to keep his options open. Let's hope he makes the right choice when he does decide.

It's a difficult situation as Hibs have upped their offer which is now on the table, I'd be disappointed if he didn't sign and went elsewhere just for a few extra pennies. I think maybe a wee push from Lennon and Leeann explaining that if he's unwilling to sign he must let Hibs know his plans soon so we as a club can plan for the forthcoming season.

JimBHibees
27-02-2018, 08:28 AM
It's a difficult situation as Hibs have upped their offer which is now on the table, I'd be disappointed if he didn't sign and went elsewhere just for a few extra pennies. I think maybe a wee push from Lennon and Leeann explaining that if he's unwilling to sign he must let Hibs know his plans soon so we as a club can plan for the forthcoming season.

Sounds like a bit of game playing no doubt by the agent to get a better deal we will just need to see how it goes.

Stevie Reid
27-02-2018, 08:42 AM
Can understand him waiting, but it is a risk. With us being guaranteed top 6 he's going to have (provided he stays free from injury) a chance to play in more big games and show to us (or prospective employers) that he's worth even more than what's on the table. If he plays a part in getting us to third, and us getting a much larger chunk of money from that, we may well increase the offer more.

Things are in his favour, but if he were to get injured, he could be really stuck.

madhatter
27-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Good player but not as good as he possibly thinks. One thing is for sure is - play well for Hibs and you get noticed, play well for another team and your career can stagnate. So, while McGinn and McGeouch would be massive losses, we'd move on and hopefully identify players with equal or greater talent.

Being critical of them both, when they both have poor games they can be posted missing and that is a huge problem if they are playing as a 2 in the middle. Bartley at least challenges and puts himself about, against Kilmarnock McGinn couldn't get close enough to tackle and McGeouch could barely pass to his own teammates. They both need to improve their impact on games when they are having a bad game. Disappearing isn't the answer. I'm sure they know this but I hope an agent isn't influencing them into thinking that they are some wonder player. They are both good but I doubt Real Madrid are interested.