PDA

View Full Version : Closing in on Aberdeen

Springbank
25-02-2018, 10:15 AM
They are 4pts ahead and 4 goal difference better.

If they lose by 2 to Celtic today then lose at fir park midweek (all possible) then any hibs win v Hamilton puts us one point behind and goal difference wiped out.
Interesting run in :)

ancient hibee
25-02-2018, 10:22 AM
As long as we don’t get detached from Rangers and Aberdeen before the split then anything is possible.

SRHibs
25-02-2018, 10:24 AM
I think they’ll win at Fir Park however I can see us faring much better post-split. We’ve got an ‘easy’ run of games coming up so if we can garner a bit of positive momentum that would be fantastic. Aberdeen are notoriously poor against the better teams whereas we tend to up our game (Aberdeen away apart). Can see us taking 2 or 3 points against the OF, and if we can replicate the last performance vs Aberdeen then it will be a photo finish. My money’s on us to finish 3rd.

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-02-2018, 11:28 AM
5 games to the split with every one being winnable - we can't ask for a better run of fixtures between now and then imo

Aberdeen I'd say also have it relatively easy up to then so as long as we can we can equal or better there points return then the post split fixtures will be huge! Focus is key and taking a game at a time!

I believe Celtic, rangers or the sheep will win the Scottish so 4th should secure European fitbaw

Heisenberg
25-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Celtc win today, please.

The Spaceman
25-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Would have taken a point before the game yesterday if you asked me beforehand - we are on a good run and now have a very good run of fixtures before the split. Real opportunity for us here going into the split. Would be an unbelievable achievement first season back to finish above one or both of Aberdeen/Rangers. I would have ripped your hand off for 4th place and would have been happy with Top 6 start of the season.

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Rangers have the toughest run I'd say out of the 3 of us so hopefully we can apply the pressure to both

A trip to ibrox post split gives us a guaranteed 3 points as well

Billy Whizz
25-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Rangers have the toughest run I'd say out of the 3 of us so hopefully we can apply the pressure to both

Isn’t it nice to be in this position

Borderhibbie76
25-02-2018, 11:50 AM
I think they’ll win at Fir Park however I can see us faring much better post-split. We’ve got an ‘easy’ run of games coming up so if we can garner a bit of positive momentum that would be fantastic. Aberdeen are notoriously poor against the better teams whereas we tend to up our game (Aberdeen away apart). Can see us taking 2 or 3 points against the OF, and if we can replicate the last performance vs Aberdeen then it will be a photo finish. My money’s on us to finish 3rd.Woah with the "easy" mate....this is Hibs and that's a dangerous attitude to have. Yes it's a winnable run of games but let's not run before we can walk. Accies on weds first then onto the Derby

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

lucky
25-02-2018, 12:23 PM
4th is a great result for us this season. The 3 clubs above us have significantly more resources than us and it’s going to time to build our club up to try and compete regularly in Europe

wookie70
25-02-2018, 01:03 PM
4th is par or slightly better but we may as well shoot for the stars now as it will be a decent season whatever happens. The three teams going for second place all have relatively easy run ins to the split but when teams are fighting for their lives it is sometimes better to play the teams in 7th or 8th rather than those at the bottom. I can't see the Dandies or The The dropping too many points before the split so we will have to continue the excellent form we are in at the moment. After the split, and with our record against the top teams, there is no reason why we shouldn't be targeting second place.

AgentDaleCooper
25-02-2018, 01:08 PM
i know it's just a matter of time before this happens anyway, but i honestly dread the thought of rangers coming second - it'll mean normal business resumed, and decrease our chances of getting even a look in at 2nd place for the foreseeable future. genuinely, for hibs interests, i think rangers finishing 4th is just as important as hibs finishing above aberdeen. if rangers get to the group stages of the europa league, then it's back to square one IMO.

Michael
25-02-2018, 01:12 PM
4th is a great result for us this season. The 3 clubs above us have significantly more resources than us and it’s going to time to build our club up to try and compete regularly in Europe

Aberdeen spend more, but I doubt there'd be much in it. Still, I agree that if we can hold onto 4th it would be an excellent result...and if we get into Europe it would be our best season for many years in the league.

Callyballybe
25-02-2018, 01:14 PM

We don't have another trip to Ibrox post spilt do we?

Peanut Shaz
25-02-2018, 01:18 PM

We shouldn't, but bet we will!!

CentreLine
25-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Celtc win today, please.

Wanted a Hearts win (yes I know) yesterday. Would have suited us very well.

Sir David Gray
25-02-2018, 01:33 PM

We're not due to go back to Ibrox again this season but it might happen since Rangers are due to play away against all the teams currently in the top six which won't happen so they'll have to get some home games.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was us.

Billy Whizz
25-02-2018, 01:35 PM
We're not due to go back to Ibrox again this season but it might happen since Rangers are due to play away against all the teams currently in the top six which won't happen so they'll have to get some home games.

How does it change if Motherwell or St Johnstone were to make top 6, at the expense of say Killie or Hearts
Know you’re the man SDG😄

Sir David Gray
25-02-2018, 01:42 PM
How does it change if Motherwell or St Johnstone were to make top 6, at the expense of say Killie or Hearts
Know you’re the man SDG😄

They would be due to play both St Johnstone and Motherwell at home after the split but i'm not sure about the other teams.

I know we would be due to play St Johnstone at home and Motherwell away.

Onion
25-02-2018, 05:29 PM
They are 4pts ahead and 4 goal difference better.

If they lose by 2 to Celtic today then lose at fir park midweek (all possible) then any hibs win v Hamilton puts us one point behind and goal difference wiped out.
Interesting run in :)

Astonishing, given all the games they've won with late late goals, and the ongoing plaudits they get from the media. They're no better than us, even with our denied valid goals and stonewall pens

Smartie
25-02-2018, 06:05 PM
The run of fixtures we've got coming up is EXACTLY the kind of run of fixtures we have struggled to do justice to not just this season but the whole time we were in the First Division.

There are no mugs in this league, and there are teams who will pack their defences and give us no time in midfield, knowing that they have enough of a threat up front to punish us if we're sloppy at the back.

It is good, old-fashioned, "one game at a time" stuff.

It's easy to get up for the Rangers, Aberdeen and Celtic games. Let's see who fancies it when we're a goal down at home to Accies.

Billy Whizz
25-02-2018, 06:08 PM
The run of fixtures we've got coming up is EXACTLY the kind of run of fixtures we have struggled to do justice to not just this season but the whole time we were in the First Division.

There are no mugs in this league, and there are teams who will pack their defences and give us no time in midfield, knowing that they have enough of a threat up front to punish us if we're sloppy at the back.

It's easy to get up for the Rangers, Aberdeen and Celtic games. Let's see who fancies it when we're a goal down at home to Accies.

Great point, every game we have pre split, is against Teams who have something to play for, fighting relegation, or trying to get into/ stay in the Top 6

Stevie Reid
25-02-2018, 06:12 PM

Totally agree.

WhileTheChief..
25-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Hearts will probably be in the bottom six by the time they come to ER and we’ll help keep them there.

I doubt they’ll finish in the top half of the league.

Ozyhibby
25-02-2018, 07:57 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180225/8338b5fc3daa5d5e83b8c3e3d10b2878.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Hackett
25-02-2018, 08:03 PM

That's just embarrassing

My_Wife_Camille
25-02-2018, 08:13 PM

We were lucky enough to get Rangers at home three times in both the 2006/07 and the 2008/09 season. Win some/lose some

bingo70
25-02-2018, 08:17 PM
We were lucky enough to get Rangers at home three times in both the 2007/08 and the 2008/09 season. Win some/lose some

I can’t be bothered working out all the permutations and I don’t know if it’s possible but I’d rather go to ibrox than back to Rugby Park.

Sir David Gray
25-02-2018, 08:20 PM
We were lucky enough to get Rangers at home three times in both the 2007/08 and the 2008/09 season. Win some/lose some

We did in 08/09 but in 07/08 it was twice at home and twice away.

My_Wife_Camille
25-02-2018, 08:21 PM
I can’t be bothered working out all the permutations and I don’t know if it’s possible but I’d rather go to ibrox than back to Rugby Park.
I don't know exactly how it works either but it was more a response to the suggestion I've seen a lot on here and on social media that the people in charge will see to it that we're made to go back to Ibrox to give them some sort of advantage but in reality the only two times we've been faced with this problem in the past it's been us that's been given the three home games.

Btw I'd also rather go to Ibrox than Rugby Park

Keith_M
25-02-2018, 08:24 PM

We'd get more tickets for Rugby Park but more points at Ibrox.

It's a quandry, right enough.

:wink:

Callyballybe
25-02-2018, 08:32 PM

Of course, forgot about the palaver created from the split.

That would be absolutely shocking if we were denied a home tie against them in one of the final few games of the season. Especially as it is another opportunity for us to get another 20,000+ attendence at ER.

Callyballybe
25-02-2018, 08:33 PM

That is truly dreadful!

Sir David Gray
25-02-2018, 08:38 PM
I don't know exactly how it works either but it was more a response to the suggestion I've seen a lot on here and on social media that the people in charge will see to it that we're made to go back to Ibrox to give them some sort of advantage but in reality the only two times we've been faced with this problem in the past it's been us that's been given the three home games.

Btw I'd also rather go to Ibrox than Rugby Park

Once.

My_Wife_Camille
25-02-2018, 09:03 PM
Once.
Twice.

Sir David Gray
25-02-2018, 09:05 PM
Twice.

2008/09 was one.

When was the other time?

My_Wife_Camille
25-02-2018, 09:06 PM
2008/09 was one.

When was the other time?
2006/07

2-1 win when Killen scored 2
2-0 defeat when Simon Brown chucked two in
3-3 Draw when Boozy got sent off for being fouled by Boyd

RossScott1991
25-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Sheep are in meltdown, couldn't help but have a deek over on their forums. the match day thread v celtic. Every single fan commenting wants Mcinnes sacked.

We have a genuine chance to reel them in for 3rd, i hope they advance through next round of cup. Take their eye off the ball

Sir David Gray
25-02-2018, 09:10 PM
2006/07

2-1 win when Killen scored 2
2-0 defeat when Simon Brown chucked two in
3-3 Draw when Boozy got sent off for being fouled by Boyd

Apologies.

I was just going on your first post that mentioned 07/08 and 08/09.

bingo70
25-02-2018, 09:13 PM
Sheep are in meltdown, couldn't help but have a deek over on their forums. the match day thread v celtic. Every single fan commenting wants Mcinnes sacked.

We have a genuine chance to reel them in for 3rd, i hope they advance through next round of cup. Take their eye off the ball

Absolutely bonkers any of them would want McInnes sacked. Especially after he’s turned down Sunderland and Rangers to stay with them.

That said, that record in Glasgow is absolutely shocking and if I was an Aberdeen fan that’d grate on me too.

HibeeHibernian4
25-02-2018, 09:14 PM

:agree: Plus, if we do end up having to settle for 4th, we'll need to rely on one of them or the OF winning the Cup to secure Europe for ourselves. And if any of those three have to win it, COYR.

IGRIGI
25-02-2018, 09:25 PM

They've lost it over his comments post match, apparently they got their tactics "spot on" according to McInnes 😂.

10 defeats in a row to Celtic under McInnes, I'd be going tonto if that was a Hibs manager making those comments with a run like that.

guthrie01
25-02-2018, 09:26 PM

Actually shocking how bad they are against them

We currently have 7 points just this season alone against the OF away compared to 17 in 25 years !

RossScott1991
25-02-2018, 09:27 PM
Absolutely bonkers any of them would want McInnes sacked. Especially after he’s turned down Sunderland and Rangers to stay with them.

That said, that record in Glasgow is absolutely shocking and if I was an Aberdeen fan that’d grate on me too.

''The longer the club put off getting rid of this ****ing clown, the harder it’ll be for his eventual replacement. Tick ****ing tock Milne et all.''

''Not going to happen unless he quits.
Banner saying.
TIMES UP MCINNES - THE TYRES ON THE BICYCLE ARE BURST
Not a bad idea admittedly.
Fan power...''

''No knee jerk from me, see my thread recently after we beat Killie. I want rid and I want rid now.
All very ne ne ne ne fingers in ears but I've had enough.
He's made me lose the passion I once had. I want that passion back, him leaving would restore it.''

Unbelievable stuff on their forums haha

mjhibby
25-02-2018, 09:30 PM
Is it not 8 points. Two wins at ibrox and two draws v sellick. Pedant I know.

mjhibby
25-02-2018, 09:32 PM
''The longer the club put off getting rid of this ****ing clown, the harder it’ll be for his eventual replacement. Tick ****ing tock Milne et all.''

Banner saying.
Fan power...''

''No knee jerk from me, see my thread recently after we beat Killie. I want rid and I want rid now.
He's made me lose the passion I once had. I want that passion back, him leaving would restore it.''

Remember mix being sacked when twice being in the top six. Careful what you wish for. Their so used to being second it's hurts watching that drift away and possibly being fourth.

guthrie01
25-02-2018, 09:33 PM

I thought that at first but the stat is only away games. The other draw was at ER

hibbysam
25-02-2018, 09:34 PM

We lost at parkhead second time.

Sir David Gray
25-02-2018, 09:34 PM

Banner saying.
Fan power...''

If those comments reflect the views of the wider Aberdeen support then that is absolute madness.

It beggars belief that any of them want rid of him to be honest. Fair enough their record against Celtic and Rangers is poor but that's not just McInnes to blame for that. It goes back 25 years!

Austinho
25-02-2018, 10:26 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAnyone know what ours and Hearts record over 25 years is in comparison?

I’d be surprised if our record wasn’t the best outwith the Old Firm.

HibeeHibernian4
25-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Anyone know what ours and Hearts record over 25 years is in comparison?

Just away (and neutral) games in Glasgow? I'll have a look.

From the 1992/93 season to present day, every game Hibs have played in Glasgow...

Celtic: P46 W3 D12 L31
Rangers: P49 W10 D4 L35

For comparison, Hearts' record:

Celtic: P55 W7 D12 L36
Rangers: P54 W5 D9 L40

And Aberdeen's:

Celtic: P55 W5 D2 L48
Rangers: P46 W2 D8 L36

Sir David Gray
25-02-2018, 10:48 PM
Anyone know what ours and Hearts record is in comparison?

Our record from 1992/93 to present day (which I'm assuming is the period referred to in the Aberdeen stats);

Celtic

P-40
W-3
D-11
L-26
F-37
A-88
PTS-19* (Two points for a win in season 92/93)

Rangers

P-40
W-8
D-3
L-29
F-37
A-89
PTS-31

My_Wife_Camille
25-02-2018, 10:50 PM
Anyone know what ours and Hearts record over 25 years is in comparison?

Using that format which look like league games only

Rangers
P40 W8 D3 L29 = 27/120
Celtic
P40 W3 D11 D26 = 20/120
Total
P80 W11 D14 L55 = 47/240

Hearts would be

Rangers
P47 W4 D9 L34 = 21/141
Celtic
P48 W4 D11 L33 = 23/144
Total
P95 W8 D20 L67 = 44/285

I just did that very quickly so there could well be errors but at least along the right lines.

Interesting that we've picked up 3 more points in 15 fewer games. Also quite interesting that we seem to get more wins against Rangers but more draws with Celtic while Hearts is almost identical for both.

Not surprising at all that Hearts specialise in draws though, what a rancid boring team they are

monktonharp
25-02-2018, 11:13 PM
Wanted a Hearts win (yes I know) yesterday. Would have suited us very well.your sick

monktonharp
25-02-2018, 11:23 PM
4th is a great result for us this season. The 3 clubs above us have significantly more resources than us and it’s going to time to build our club up to try and compete regularly in EuropeSo , do Aberdeen fc have significantly more resources than us at this moment in time? they have a quality side, which we recently beat. they also have the go ahead for a new stadium, still to be debated after final complaints and objections get aired. that's the bit that has me wondering........significantly? I think you have put them somewhere that they are not . :confused:

The_Horde
25-02-2018, 11:30 PM
So , do Aberdeen fc have significantly more resources than us at this moment in time? they have a quality side, which we recently beat. they also have the go ahead for a new stadium, still to be debated after final complaints and objections get aired. that's the bit that has me wondering........significantly? I think you have put them somewhere that they are not . :confused:

Tell you what. For all of their resources they could do with spending some of it on a new pitch.

stokesmessiah
25-02-2018, 11:54 PM

Is that real????

monktonharp
25-02-2018, 11:55 PM
Tell you what. For all of their resources they could do with spending some of it on a new pitch.Dex, they may be keeping the money to get a new g3/g4 hybrid pitch when they get the go ahead . :greengrin

stokesmessiah
25-02-2018, 11:56 PM
Tell you what. For all of their resources they could do with spending some of it on a new pitch.

Thought that when I seen the highlights, shambles!

Pescarese
25-02-2018, 11:59 PM

Half a dozen defeats at Partick too. Though they managed two narrow wins and a draw at Queens Park.

Johnny_Leith
26-02-2018, 12:09 AM
So , do Aberdeen fc have significantly more resources than us at this moment in time? they have a quality side, which we recently beat. they also have the go ahead for a new stadium, still to be debated after final complaints and objections get aired. that's the bit that has me wondering........significantly? I think you have put them somewhere that they are not . :confused:

Aberdeen FC have a much bigger budget than us at the moment. Three years of top league, top six income, consistent crowds, European ventures and cup finals have added to this.

There was a thread not too long ago outlining the difference in turnover.

My_Wife_Camille
26-02-2018, 12:09 AM
Is that real????
Unless I've made a mistake those stats aint accurate although the real ones aren't much better at all

Looks lo me like

Rangers
P41 W1 D8 L32 = 11/123
Celtic
P46 W3 D2 D41 = 11/138
Total
P87 W4 D10 L73 = 22/261

still absolutely appalling stuff

The Green Goblin
26-02-2018, 01:45 AM
Once.

Twice.

Three tiiiiiiimes a laaaady......

Springbank
27-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Three tiiiiiiimes a laaaady......

WOuld make a good song for when the Hibs Ladies three-peat in the Scottish Cup :flag: