PDA

View Full Version : Lennon and today's subs/tactics

Weststand
24-02-2018, 07:19 PM
Huge fan of Lenny and job he's done but sometimes to me he seems a bit late in making changes.

For me Marvin should of come on at half time today probably for mclaren (not convinced by him at all btw). End of first half was a sign of what was to come second half and something needed addressing instead he waited till the damage was down to bring big Marv on and that meant we were now playing for a draw!

Surely you shut the game up at 2 nil not 2 all! Not been lennys finest day at hibs but I'm still a big fan

Hibeewilly
24-02-2018, 07:27 PM
Huge fan of Lenny and job he's done but sometimes to me he seems a bit late in making changes.

For me Marvin should of come on at half time today probably for mclaren (not convinced by him at all btw). End of first half was a sign of what was to come second half and something needed addressing instead he waited till the damage was down to bring big Marv on and that meant we were now playing for a draw!

Surely you shut the game up at 2 nil not 2 all! Not been lennys finest day at hibs but I'm still a big fan
A lot of that chat in the pie queue at half time.....the warning signs were there for 15/20 minutes before half time. Bartley should have been brought on without a doubt. Our midfield struggled and needed protection

murray26
24-02-2018, 07:30 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I do agree Bartley for McLaren may have seen us get the job done.. Lennon may have left that sub to late..

hibbysam
24-02-2018, 07:32 PM
I would rather he reverted to 4 at the back and either put Mclaren on the wing or brought Swanson on the left. It would’ve given them less threat down the left where unfortunately boyles weaknesses going backwards were brought out by a very good winger. Efe would’ve stuffed that threat out IMO.

Gmack7
24-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Whittaker for Boyle as they were getting a lot of joy down that side bit I do agree Bartley should have been on earlier

linlithgowhibbie
25-02-2018, 08:11 PM
3 of us all agreed Bartley for McLaren at half time.

Speedway
25-02-2018, 08:23 PM
On the match day thread I requested Bartley for Boyle and Shaw for McLaren at around the 38th minute and was told by 2-3 posters that they were glad that I wasn’t the manager.

mjhibby
25-02-2018, 08:37 PM
I would rather he reverted to 4 at the back and either put Mclaren on the wing or brought Swanson on the left. It would’ve given them less threat down the left where unfortunately boyles weaknesses going backwards were brought out by a very good winger. Efe would’ve stuffed that threat out IMO.

Easy in hindsight. I'm sure lenny was looking for a third hence he kept it the same. I don't think anybody could have foreseen how much dominance Killie would have second half. Still had clancy not intervened it wouldn't have mattered. It's finished now. I wonder if he will give Shaw a run v Hamilton. Maybe Bartley in for mcgeoch to keep him fresh for the Derby. That's what I would be thinking.

JimboHibs
25-02-2018, 08:56 PM
On the match day thread I requested Bartley for Boyle and Shaw for McLaren at around the 38th minute and was told by 2-3 posters that they were glad that I wasn’t the manager.

You can use that in your CV if u ever apply for the managers job 👍.

Winston Ingram
25-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Tactics or subs weren’t great yesterday. Jordan Jones kept exploiting the gap behind Boyle. Scott Allan & McLaren were passengers for pretty much all of the 2nd half. If we’d have brought Marv on for Allan 15 mins earlier we’d have won the game.

Sir David Gray
25-02-2018, 09:15 PM
Easy in hindsight. I'm sure lenny was looking for a third hence he kept it the same. I don't think anybody could have foreseen how much dominance Killie would have second half. Still had clancy not intervened it wouldn't have mattered. It's finished now. I wonder if he will give Shaw a run v Hamilton. Maybe Bartley in for mcgeoch to keep him fresh for the Derby. That's what I would be thinking.

I said to my mum just before half time that we needed another goal as they had been on top for the previous 10 minutes or so. The signs were there for warning us about what was going to happen in the second half.

The_Horde
25-02-2018, 09:41 PM
Tactics or subs weren’t great yesterday. Jordan Jones kept exploiting the gap behind Boyle. Scott Allan & McLaren were passengers for pretty much all of the 2nd half. If we’d have brought Marv on for Allan 15 mins earlier we’d have won the game.

I wanted Marv for Maclaren at half time.

Penicuik Hibee
25-02-2018, 09:43 PM
All McLaren needs is a goal. Makes great runs and always seems to be on the end of things. His finishing isn't quite there yet but he has hardly played for months and is still getting match fit.

In hindsight, Bartley would have been a good substitution at half time. But if that had happened and we finished 2-2 we would have Ben saying NL was too negative.

Looking forward to wednesday day and seeing us playing on grass again. That pitch looked impossible to play on

QUOTE=Weststand;5325250]Huge fan of Lenny and job he's done but sometimes to me he seems a bit late in making changes.

Surely you shut the game up at 2 nil not 2 all! Not been lennys finest day at hibs but I'm still a big fan[/QUOTE]

Hi Heid Yin
25-02-2018, 09:52 PM
As always, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Removing one player and replacing him with another does not guarantee anything, certainly not winning a match.
A substitute is as likely to come on and have a "mare" as to playing a "blinder"
All manner of permutations and interactions affect a game. None of us can predict with certainty how a match will unfold.
Big Marv could have come on and scored an own-goal or two before then clearing a goal-bound shot.

Wee Effen Bee
25-02-2018, 09:53 PM
None of you have any idea if changing things earlier would have made a blind bit of difference. Even when changes were made, Killie still dominated. It’s all pure speculation - hindsight is a glorious thing but even saying it at the time doesn’t mean things would immediately have been different. I blame FIFA Manager pesh myself☹️ I’ve an idea, next time you think you can do better than a guy who has played and managed at a very good professional level, call him up and tell him where he is going wrong. Better still, get a ST for a seat behind the dugouts and just shout your instructions to him. 😵

marleyhib
25-02-2018, 09:54 PM
After last week against Aberdeeen the team picked itself, I'd have brought Bartley on at half time tho to protect 2-0 as killie were on top.

Hey ho, easy enough when you see what transpired. MCLaren needs to start scoring or I doubt we'll see much of him.

Hi Heid Yin
25-02-2018, 10:05 PM
After last week against Aberdeeen the team picked itself, I'd have brought Bartley on at half time tho to protect 2-0 as killie were on top.

Hey ho, easy enough when you see what transpired. MCLaren needs to start scoring or I doubt we'll see much of him.

I agree re McLaren. The more games that come and go without him scoring from open play, the more his confidence will diminish, as well as confidence in him to score by our manager.
He is, to me, mimicking those games where our duracell bunny, Murray, runs around enthusiastically and does everything but score.
Fingers crossed (still) that it all falls into place for him and he starts to hit the back of the net regularly.
I also get the feeling that Lennon is keeping faith with him at the expense of Shaw, who must be itching to get on the field when he sees McLaren missing so many opportunities.

Shrekko
25-02-2018, 10:49 PM
Being a manger in hindsight is the easiest job in the world.

When we’re 2 up at half time I’m thinking that the way we’ve set up we can definitely nick another goal or two. Not everyone was playing great but a few in our side can produce moments of brilliance even when they’re not having great games.

The way folk are talking they seem disappointed that Craig Levein isn’t our boss.

J-C
26-02-2018, 05:36 AM

Playing with 3 at the back and wingbacks pushed forwards was always going to leave the gap in behind, it was mentioned on the radio before the game, that's when your CH's have to be switched on as they play as a RB/LB also. I think Efe can switch off all too often at times and it's his biggest failing, we have really missed the defensive qualities a fit Gray gives you and Whittaker have been a terrible move for us as he's been unfit since he arrived, don't understand why Rherras was brought here if he's never going to play, this was the perfect game to bring him on and stop Jones on that side.

Stuart93
26-02-2018, 07:19 AM
Neil Lennon barely ever makes a change at HT, Saturday was crying out for another defensive player when killie were on top. Glad we managed to leave with the point.

danhibees1875
26-02-2018, 07:30 AM
Neil Lennon barely ever makes a change at HT, Saturday was crying out for another defensive player when killie were on top. Glad we managed to leave with the point.

I tend to agree.

I think he often waits too long to change things when games are calling out for a sub. But I've thought that about most of our managers, so maybe it's just that I'm too quick to want changes - and one of us has had a very successful career in football management.

Clerie Green
26-02-2018, 07:40 AM
None of you have any idea if changing things earlier would have made a blind bit of difference. Even when changes were made, Killie still dominated. It’s all pure speculation - hindsight is a glorious thing but even saying it at the time doesn’t mean things would immediately have been different. I blame FIFA Manager pesh myself☹️ I’ve an idea, next time you think you can do better than a guy who has played and managed at a very good professional level, call him up and tell him where he is going wrong. Better still, get a ST for a seat behind the dugouts and just shout your instructions to him. 😵

Absolutely THIS.

:flag: :nlgwa :flag:

Speedway
27-02-2018, 09:08 AM

Did that with Williamson. He apologised for being wrong about Arpinion and Townsley.

JimBHibees
27-02-2018, 09:50 AM

Easy to say that now we were still more than capable of scoring another which would have killed it. The wonder goal and ridiculous penalty changed the game.
Actually thought once it went to 2 0 the ref gave us absolutely nothing, a couple of throw ins were a joke with one Broadfoot dribbling the ball out and getting it. Another clear foul when they broke from our corner a Hibs player was cleared out at the edge of their box and was ignored allowing them to break forward.

lucky
27-02-2018, 10:07 AM

If we all followed your advice there’d be no need for .net. This is a fans messageboard where fans discuss all aspects of our club. No one really believes they could do a better job than Lennon they just voicing an opinion

Stuart93
27-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Easy to say that now we were still more than capable of scoring another which would have killed it. The wonder goal and ridiculous penalty changed the game.
Actually thought once it went to 2 0 the ref gave us absolutely nothing, a couple of throw ins were a joke with one Broadfoot dribbling the ball out and getting it. Another clear foul when they broke from our corner a Hibs player was cleared out at the edge of their box and was ignored allowing them to break forward.

I don't think they changed the game, soon as we scored our second it was mostly Kilmarnock on top

jacomo
27-02-2018, 12:52 PM
One of my worst failings at the football is baying for a sub, usually a long time before the manager makes one.

I will have got some calls right, but a lot of them wrong.

JimBHibees
27-02-2018, 02:59 PM
I don't think they changed the game, soon as we scored our second it was mostly Kilmarnock on top

If the corner and the penalty arent given it is still 2 0.

Swedish hibee
27-02-2018, 06:08 PM
I was listening to a phone in last night with chelsea fans moaning about their manager & subs. I don't think we use our subs that well either.. Apart from Hendo in that game😉