PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Killie 24 February 2018)

Jonnyboy
24-02-2018, 06:00 PM
It’s not often that I start at the end but today I’ll make an exception. Listening to Neil Lennon’s post-match interview I found myself agreeing with every word he said. The gaffer’s outburst at the fourth official, following the awarding of a ludicrous penalty to the hosts, was perhaps a little aggressive but for me that official should take a good look at himself for reporting Neil’s outburst. Football is a highly emotive game and Hibs had just had a terrible decision go against them. The manager swore as he protested buy hey, swearing is part and parcel of the game and if the fourth official was upset by it, maybe he’s in the wrong job. It seems that Kevin Clancy was set to send Neil to the stand and so to me that makes him no better than his assistant. The decision had been made before Neil reacted by getting in Clancy’s face and sarcastically clapping the decision but don’t forget, that particular official has form when it comes to decisions detrimentally affecting Hibs so it’s no surprise that Neil told him what he thought.

The manager’s other point concerns a matter I have repeatedly brought up and will continue to do so until things change. Football should be played on grass not synthetic surfaces and as Neil pointed out his players felt it next to impossible to play football on Killie’s horrific playing surface. I admit I run the risk of venturing this view as some sort of sour grapes but I felt exactly the same about this as when we went there and beat them 3-0 earlier in the season. The ball bounces high and at angle, does not run true when being dribbled forward or passed and causes umpteen situations where the ball simply sticks at a players feet. Top flight clubs should be forced to lay a grass pitch and if that denies them some income then that’s just tough.

Now I’ve gotten that out of the way …….

It was sunny but cold at Rugby Park and ahead of kick off I was saying that given Killie’s impressive run of form I’d settle for a point. But after just nine minutes of play, I was banking on three. With some Hibs fans yet to take their seats, a sweetly struck cross by Lewis Stevenson found Kamberi around six yards out and the striker showed great skill in meeting the ball on the drop and firing it into the roof of the net. I understand only 27 seconds had elapsed and so it’s safe to say Hibs got off to a flyer. With Killie stunned it was Hibs that took the game to their hosts and after nine minutes a Kamberi effort was deflected over the bar. From the resultant Scott Allan corner, Ryan Porteous rose majestically to head the ball home from close range. The youngster, in for new Dad Paul Hanlon, is a real threat at set pieces and was excellent in the air throughout. What seemed like just moments later, Maclaren should have done better but sliced his opportunity over the bar and soon after another effort from the Aussie striker, whose movement was excellent, brought out a smart save by Jamie MacDonald. With Killie rocking under the pressure, Kamberi had another golden opportunity to score but shot straight at the keeper.

It took Killie a good thirty minutes to offer any threat on the Hibs goal when Boyd glanced a header over the bar but by this time Hibs seemed to have dropped off considerably and were struggling to contain the Killie midfield. Another chance came the way of the hosts but a Jones shot struck Darren McGregor and flew wide with Rocky wrong footed by the deflection. Jones came even closer as Killie started to dominate when his rifled shot struck the post and was cleared but it has to be said after a whirlwind start, Hibs were happy to hear the half time whistle as they’d all but dropped out of the game.

Given the way they finished the first half it was no surprise that Killie were on the front foot from the start of the second and with the hour mark looming the hosts pulled a goal back with a quite stunning strike by Jordan Jones. Out on the Killie left he skipped past a couple of poor attempts at a tackle before curling a brilliant right foot effort beyond the diving Marciano and into the far top corner. That goal pumped Killie up even more and Hibs were rocking at that point with the midfield three largely anonymous and therefore offering little or no cover to the defence. Just three minutes after the Jones goal, Killie struck again in the most controversial of circumstances. A free kick by Boyd struck the Hibs wall and deflected into the path of a Killie player who struck the ball at speed, hitting Porteous on the arm. I was at the other end from that action and was absolutely stunned when Kevin Clancy pointed to the spot. The ball was struck at such speed it seemed to me it would have been impossible for Porteous to get out of the way and highly unlikely he used his arm deliberately. A very poor decision in my view and obviously in Neil Lennon’s view too. When the penalty was taken by Boyd, Rocky stopped the shot but the ball fell fortuitously to the Killie striker to fire home the rebound. As the fat man ran off to celebrate, Kevin Clancy made a beeline for the dugouts and the scenario described earlier unfolded.

It was real backs to the wall stuff now with Hibs repeatedly failing to properly clear their lines and Killie winning a series of corners. From two of those the ball reached the edge of the box allowing the impressive Mulumbu to fire shots at goal through a ruck of players but on both occasions Rocky pulled off tremendous saves to keep the game level. Jones and Brophy both fired wide and Mulumbu brought out a third fantastic save from Marciano. In a rare forward attack, substitute Oli Shaw got free on the right but his effort on goal was poor before Kamberi tried his luck with the half chance being deflected for a corner.

The sum of four minutes was added by referee Clancy though quite where he got the four minutes from is anybody’s guess. In the last of those four minutes Hibs were awarded a free kick just inside the Killie half. Normally we take these quickly but were prevented from doing so by Jones standing in front of the ball. Clancy crowned off a woeful performance by failing to get Jones to move and then blowing the full time whistle just as Dylan was about to take the free kick.

I know how disappointed I felt when leaving the ground as I felt we’d dropped two points but in truth it could have been three and so now that I’m home I’m going for the glass half full option of saying it was a point won rather than two dropped.

The players

Rocky – largely redundant in the first half he produced a string of fine and vital saves in the second and for that reason he wins my man of the match award.

Efe – a bit of a mixed afternoon from Efe who made some vital tackles and interceptions but peppered them with some decidedly dodgy passes and attempts to dribble out of tight situations.

Daz – played very well considering the non-stop pressure in the second half and could be seen regularly talking Porteous through the game.

Ryan – this laddie is going places in the game. At 18 years old he is already a very accomplished defender and a real threat in an attacking sense too, as witnessed by his goal today.

Boyler – had a bit of a mixed day in my opinion. Found it really difficult running at pace with the ball at his feet and I put that down to the playing surface.

Dylan – had a good first half and made some excellent interceptions and forward runs but looked shattered in the second with little or no help from his fellow midfielders.

Scotty – largely anonymous in my view but had clearly been identified as a threat given the punishment he suffered from Killie players in the first half especially.

SJM – I’m struggling to think of a game where SJM has been so ineffective. He just wasn’t at the races at all today and once again I’d argue that the pitch played a big part in that.

Lewis – steady enough in the first half with his cross for the first goal being inch perfect but in the second half he had to drop deeper and deeper to defend against constant attacks by the hosts.

Flo – took his goal brilliantly, having started the move right in front of the Killie dugout. Took a sore one in the second half and might now be a doubt for Wednesday.

Jamie – another good chance missed but I remain convinced he’ll score goals for us. His movement is great and it’s just a pity our creative players were off the boil today and he received very little service.

Oli – got around thirty minutes but the ball was hardly in the Killie half so he didn’t get the chance to do much.

Marv – replaced the ineffective Scott Allan for the last twenty and was key to us seeing the game out to earn a point.

Whitty – nice to see him back but he was only on the park for a few minutes and barely touched the ball.

Neil – rightly aggrieved at the penalty and harshly treated by a timid fourth official. Probably didn’t do himself any favours by shouting in the ref’s face and clapping the decision to send him to the stand. I don’t blame him for the reaction given Clancy’s performance.

The ref – a buffoon who should be nowhere near a grade one game, managed to book four Hibs players but none from Killie with the home players being given license to kick Scott Allan as often as they wanted too.

The fans – turned out in good numbers again and I was pleased there was no booing at the end. Some great new songs aired for the first time but to the idiot up the back, shouting “I hope you die” to Jamie MacDonald that was bang out of order.

A Hi-Bee
24-02-2018, 06:09 PM
It’s not often that I start at the end but today I’ll make an exception. Listening to Neil Lennon’s post-match interview I found myself agreeing with every word he said. The gaffer’s outburst at the fourth official, following the awarding of a ludicrous penalty to the hosts, was perhaps a little aggressive but for me that official should take a good look at himself for reporting Neil’s outburst. Football is a highly emotive game and Hibs had just had a terrible decision go against them. The manager swore as he protested buy hey, swearing is part and parcel of the game and if the fourth official was upset by it, maybe he’s in the wrong job. It seems that Kevin Clancy was set to send Neil to the stand and so to me that makes him no better than his assistant. The decision had been made before Neil reacted by getting in Clancy’s face and sarcastically clapping the decision but don’t forget, that particular official has form when it comes to decisions detrimentally affecting Hibs so it’s no surprise that Neil told him what he thought.

The manager’s other point concerns a matter I have repeatedly brought up and will continue to do so until things change. Football should be played on grass not synthetic surfaces and as Neil pointed out his players felt it next to impossible to play football on Killie’s horrific playing surface. I admit I run the risk of venturing this view as some sort of sour grapes but I felt exactly the same about this as when we went there and beat them 3-0 earlier in the season. The ball bounces high and at angle, does not run true when being dribbled forward or passed and causes umpteen situations where the ball simply sticks at a players feet. Top flight clubs should be forced to lay a grass pitch and if that denies them some income then that’s just tough.

It was sunny but cold at Rugby Park and ahead of kick off I was saying that given Killie’s impressive run of form I’d settle for a point. But after just nine minutes of play, I was banking on three. With some Hibs fans yet to take their seats, a sweetly struck cross by Lewis Stevenson found Kamberi around six yards out and the striker showed great skill in meeting the ball on the drop and firing it into the roof of the net. I understand only 27 seconds had elapsed and so it’s safe to say Hibs got off to a flyer. With Killie stunned it was Hibs that took the game to their hosts and after nine minutes a Kamberi effort was deflected over the bar. From the resultant Scott Allan corner, Ryan Porteous rose majestically to head the ball home from close range. The youngster, in for new Dad Paul Hanlon, is a real threat at set pieces and was excellent in the air throughout. What seemed like just moments later, Maclaren should have done better but sliced his opportunity over the bar and soon after another effort from the Aussie striker, whose movement was excellent, brought out a smart save by Jamie MacDonald. With Killie rocking under the pressure, Kamberi had another golden opportunity to score but shot straight at the keeper.

It took Killie a good thirty minutes to offer any threat on the Hibs goal when Boyd glanced a header over the bar but by this time Hibs seemed to have dropped off considerably and were struggling to contain the Killie midfield. Another chance came the way of the hosts but a Jones shot struck Darren McGregor and flew wide with Rocky wrong footed by the deflection. Jones came even closer as Killie started to dominate when his rifled shot struck the post and was cleared but it has to be said after a whirlwind start, Hibs were happy to hear the half time whistle as they’d all but dropped out of the game.

Given the way they finished the first half it was no surprise that Killie were on the front foot from the start of the second and with the hour mark looming the hosts pulled a goal back with a quite stunning strike by Jordan Jones. Out on the Killie left he skipped past a couple of poor attempts at a tackle before curling a brilliant right foot effort beyond the diving Marciano and into the far top corner. That goal pumped Killie up even more and Hibs were rocking at that point with the midfield three largely anonymous and therefore offering little or no cover to the defence. Just three minutes after the Jones goal, Killie struck again in the most controversial of circumstances. A free kick by Boyd struck the Hibs wall and deflected into the path of a Killie player who struck the ball at speed, hitting Porteous on the arm. I was at the other end from that action and was absolutely stunned when Kevin Clancy pointed to the spot. The ball was struck at such speed it seemed to me it would have been impossible for Porteous to get out of the way and highly unlikely he used his arm deliberately. A very poor decision in my view and obviously in Neil Lennon’s view too. When the penalty was taken by Boyd, Rocky stopped the shot but the ball fell fortuitously to the Killie striker to fire home the rebound. As the fat man ran off to celebrate, Kevin Clancy made a beeline for the dugouts and the scenario described earlier unfolded.

It was real backs to the wall stuff now with Hibs repeatedly failing to properly clear their lines and Killie winning a series of corners. From two of those the ball reached the edge of the box allowing the impressive Mulumbu to fire shots at goal through a ruck of players but on both occasions Rocky pulled off tremendous saves to keep the game level. Jones and Brophy both fired wide and Mulumbu brought out a third fantastic save from Marciano. In a rare forward attack, substitute Oli Shaw got free on the right but his effort on goal was poor before Kamberi tried his luck with the half chance being deflected for a corner.

The sum of four minutes was added by referee Clancy though quite where he got the four minutes from is anybody’s guess. In the last of those four minutes Hibs were awarded a free kick just inside the Killie half. Normally we take these quickly but were prevented from doing so by Jones standing in front of the ball. Clancy crowned off a woeful performance by failing to get Jones to move and then blowing the full time whistle just as Dylan was about to take the free kick.

I know how disappointed I felt when leaving the ground as I felt we’d dropped two points but in truth it could have been three and so now that I’m home I’m going for the glass half full option of saying it was a point won rather than two dropped.

The players

Rocky – largely redundant in the first half he produced a string of fine and vital saves in the second and for that reason he wins my man of the match award.

Efe – a bit of a mixed afternoon from Efe who made some vital tackles and interceptions but peppered them with some decidedly dodgy passes and attempts to dribble out of tight situations.

Daz – played very well considering the non-stop pressure in the second half and could be seen regularly talking Porteous through the game.

Ryan – this laddie is going places in the game. At 18 years old he is already a very accomplished defender and a real threat in an attacking sense too, as witnessed by his goal today.

Boyler – had a bit of a mixed day in my opinion. Found it really difficult running at pace with the ball at his feet and I put that down to the playing surface.

Dylan – had a good first half and made some excellent interceptions and forward runs but looked shattered in the second with little or no help from his fellow midfielders.

Scotty – largely anonymous in my view but had clearly been identified as a threat given the punishment he suffered from Killie players in the first half especially.

SJM – I’m struggling to think of a game where SJM has been so ineffective. He just wasn’t at the races at all today and once again I’d argue that the pitch played a big part in that.

Lewis – steady enough in the first half with his cross for the first goal being inch perfect but in the second half he had to drop deeper and deeper to defend against constant attacks by the hosts.

Flo – took his goal brilliantly, having started the move right in front of the Killie dugout. Took a sore one in the second half and might now be a doubt for Wednesday.

Jamie – another good chance missed but I remain convinced he’ll score goals for us. His movement is great and it’s just a pity our creative players were off the boil today and he received very little service.

Oli – got around thirty minutes but the ball was hardly in the Killie half so he didn’t get the chance to do much.

Marv – replaced the ineffective Scott Allan for the last twenty and was key to us seeing the game out to earn a point.

Whitty – nice to see him back but he was only on the park for a few minutes and barely touched the ball.

Neil – rightly aggrieved at the penalty and harshly treated by a timid fourth official. Probably didn’t do himself any favours by shouting in the ref’s face and clapping the decision to send him to the stand. I don’t blame him for the reaction given Clancy’s performance.

The ref – a buffoon who should be nowhere near a grade one game, managed to book four Hibs players but none from Killie with the home players being given license to kick Scott Allan as often as they wanted too.

The fans – turned out in good numbers again and I was pleased there was no booing at the end. Some great new songs aired for the first time but to the idiot up the back, shouting “I hope you die” to Jamie MacDonald that was bang out of order.

Once more a good balanced view and read, well done Jonnyboy. They took turns kicking Allan and nothing was done about it.

Hibbyradge
24-02-2018, 06:11 PM
When did McLaren miss his chance?

Iggy Pope
24-02-2018, 06:51 PM
When did McLaren miss his chance?

Played in by Allan and hit the goalie rather than the net.
Don't know the time bit it should have put the game to bed first half.

Edit: and in line with the match updates thread where I think you're driving towards the same point...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43094029

The_Horde
24-02-2018, 07:06 PM

The players

Glad somebody else noticed the referees incompetence, he offered absolutely no protection to hibs and I've no doubt it aided killies dominance as they were allowed to press high and make risky challenges as they knew bookings weren't forthcoming.

Even silly things like pushing and pulling, Boyd had Porteous in a headlock at one point.

O'Rourke3
24-02-2018, 07:06 PM
Cheers John. Spent the day wandering in Cardiff and The Mumbles so not near a radio or telly. .

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Hi Heid Yin
24-02-2018, 07:08 PM
A good, honest write up Johnnyboy.
I too agree 100% that all teams should play on the same surface.
Artificial pitches are an advantage to any team that regularly trains and plays on them.
All SPL sides should play on grass - end of.

Iggy Pope
24-02-2018, 07:09 PM
Glad somebody else noticed the referees incompetence, he offered absolutely no protection to hibs and I've no doubt it aided killies dominance as they were allowed to press high and make risky challenges as they knew bookings weren't forthcoming.

Even silly things like pushing and pulling, Boyd had Porteous in a headlock at one point.

If he doesn't book that big nut job for his open dissent at that fist half throw-in, he's never going to book him.

SingaporeHibs
24-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Played in by Allan and hit the goalie rather than the net.
Don't know the time bit it should have put the game to bed first half.

Edit: and in line with the match updates thread where I think you're driving towards the same point...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43094029
Having watched that on Hibs tV the ball took an awful bounce on the pitch and he had next to no chance with it.

Iggy Pope
24-02-2018, 07:27 PM
Having watched that on Hibs tV the ball took an awful bounce on the pitch and he had next to no chance with it.

Did not look that way to me at the time. Not seen the Hibs TV coverage but it looked like a bit of composure would have resulted in a goal. He got his shot away cleanly I reckon. Does Hibs TV indicate that the chance in question definitely fell to Jamie McLaren?

SonOfDavidFrancey
24-02-2018, 07:28 PM
I thoroughly enjoy your write-ups but if a player loses the rag, swears at the ref and gets sent off he would be fined. I don't see how you can really justify the manager losing the head in the same way, regardless of the frustration. Surely being at the top of the sporting pile is about controlling your emotions, channelling them into working towards an advantage. And beyond that there is the issue of dissent, and setting standards of behaviour.

Iggy Pope
24-02-2018, 07:29 PM
I thoroughly enjoy your write-ups but if a player loses the rag, swears at the ref and gets sent off he would be fined. I don't see how you can really justify the manager losing the head in the same way, regardless of the frustration. Surely being at the top of the sporting pile is about controlling your emotions, channelling them into working towards an advantage. And beyond that there is the issue of dissent, and setting standards of behaviour.

Spoken like your old man!!

Tornadoes70
24-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Excellent report as always :aok:. Its a real shame that Clancy intervened in gifting Killie a penalty especially in stark contrast to as has been pointed out the one he turned a blind eye to against the huns that was an actual stonewaller.

Still, a point away from home against a resurgent Killie is far from being a disaster. On to the next game against Hamilton.

mon the cabbage!!

Jonnyboy
24-02-2018, 10:25 PM
A good, honest write up Johnnyboy.
I too agree 100% that all teams should play on the same surface.
Artificial pitches are an advantage to any team that regularly trains and plays on them.
All SPL sides should play on grass - end of.

Indeed :aok:

If he doesn't book that big nut job for his open dissent at that fist half throw-in, he's never going to book him.

Farcical that the fat striker wasn't booked there :agree:

I get where you're coming from but even someone with the patience of Job would've been hard pushed to accept such incompetence

PatHead
24-02-2018, 10:40 PM
I do think that the fat striker moaning about the Hibs player not being sent off led to him giving the penalty. It was his way of evening things up. By the way it was never a corner before the first goal.

SonOfDavidFrancey
24-02-2018, 11:18 PM
Spoken like your old man!!

Ah okay I am changing my opinion immediately. Get tore in neil!

Hibbyradge
24-02-2018, 11:38 PM
Did not look that way to me at the time. Not seen the Hibs TV coverage but it looked like a bit of composure would have resulted in a goal. He got his shot away cleanly I reckon. Does Hibs TV indicate that the chance in question definitely fell to Jamie McLaren?

I didn't see the chance that went over the bar, but I was sure that the one on one which hit the keeper was Kamberi.

Ayrshire Hibee
25-02-2018, 07:49 AM
but to the idiot up the back, shouting “I hope you die” to Jamie MacDonald that was bang out of order.[/QUOTE]

To the bearded tattooed fu%kwit with polo mints in his ears down near the front.... your shout of "I hope that stand over there collapses and all you huns die" was disgusting and being from Kilmarnock and the other 3 in my company who also come from the surrounding villages...we would have known a fair few people in that said stand!

His chants throughout the match were as embarrassing as his "I want to be in the next mad max movie" image

number9dream
25-02-2018, 08:07 AM
Clancy gave the penalty because he was rattled after getting a mouthful from Boyd about not giving Ambrose a second yellow for the foul on Jones.
Ambrose was pretty lucky not to see red for that.
Hibs just couldn’t retain the ball after the first 30 minutes. The midfield was completely overrun and outfought.
Porteous was excellent and Rocky made some top saves, although he will be disappointed not to have pushed away Boyd’s weak penalty.
Lennon let himself down badly. How can the players ever take him seriously if he talks about keeping a cool head and the importance of discipline.
Fortunate to get a point even though there were questionable decisions against us, but if Kamberi tucks away that second chance it’s probably a comfortable win...

Bobby's Cinema
25-02-2018, 08:29 AM
Agreed that it was probably a point gained disappointing as it may be.

Was a strange game, we looked so dangerous on the counter and we just didn't play second half. Didn't deal with the mentality of being 2up so early at all.

After the 'best midfield in scotland' comments last week we were non-existent in there and I would have made the Bartley sub much earlier.

Positives for me Kamberi, Porteous had an eventful game but again showed good signs and the keeper deserves credit. Onwards

Frazerbob
25-02-2018, 11:42 AM

He lost the plot after being sent off.

brog
25-02-2018, 05:25 PM
Excellent as ever John. I think however that the issues of Scottish pitches goes well beyond the plastic or non plastic debate. Pittodrie today was a mess & we're all acutely aware of the midden at the PBS. Many other clubs, including us not so long ago have had awful parks. As you know I attend a fair bit of English football & apart from the bowling greens of the top 2 leagues, even the pitch at my local club, 5th tier Bromley, is as good as many in our top tier. I honestly believe the quality (or lack of) in Scottish pitches contributes greatly to the general demise of our game. I know it's difficult with the Scottish climate & the lack of money in our game but to me this is an area which the football authorities should be monitoring, improving & supporting where possible. Having said that I thought we failed to adapt to the conditions yesterday though I recognise it's tough to change ingrained good habits over 90 minutes.

Stevie Reid
25-02-2018, 05:34 PM
A fair amount of positives for me. Looked devastating going forward early on, and until the shocking decision, we had defended really well under relentless pressure. Conceded around 17 corners and won the first header from the vast majority of them.

No hiding from the fact that Killie created a lot of opportunities when it went 2-2 - and that Rocky kept us level - but the penalty turned things in their favour, and gave them belief. Had it stayed 2-1 for longer, the intensity that they were playing at may well have subsided. Obviously we'll never know though.

Strange day - normally losing a two goal lead and being victim of such a shocking decision would have me raging. But I can't help but think it's a good point, all things considered - especially the other results in the top six.

Iggy Pope
25-02-2018, 06:25 PM
I didn't see the chance that went over the bar, but I was sure that the one on one which hit the keeper was Kamberi.

Correct my friend, apologies. It's a big old park to my tired eyes.

cammy1969
25-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Agree with most that’s been said, but what I will add a lot of credit to killie and Clark he done his homework on us they closed us done quick and the longer the game went on the harder we found it to keep the ball for any length of time or find a hibs with our passing. But at the close of saturdays games we are a pony closer to 3rd & a point further away from 4th so not all bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ano hibby
25-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Excellent as ever John. I think however that the issues of Scottish pitches goes well beyond the plastic or non plastic debate. Pittodrie today was a mess & we're all acutely aware of the midden at the PBS. Many other clubs, including us not so long ago have had awful parks. As you know I attend a fair bit of English football & apart from the bowling greens of the top 2 leagues, even the pitch at my local club, 5th tier Bromley, is as good as many in our top tier. I honestly believe the quality (or lack of) in Scottish pitches contributes greatly to the general demise of our game. I know it's difficult with the Scottish climate & the lack of money in our game but to me this is an area which the football authorities should be monitoring, improving & supporting where possible. Having said that I thought we failed to adapt to the conditions yesterday though I recognise it's tough to change ingrained good habits over 90 minutes.

Good post & I agree completely.
Thanks as ever to JB for the match report.

srf1989
25-02-2018, 09:30 PM
I'm a Killie fan but have several Hibs supporting family members, hope people don't mind me posting here. I was just interested to see Hibs fans views on the game yesterday after some of the controversy, and feel like I need to post something given all the chat about the pitch.

Since that pitch was laid 3 years ago our home form has been abysmal. In both 2015/16 and 2016/17 we won 4 games at home the whole season. In 2017 we went 7 months without a home league win and only won 1 league game at home under Lee McCulloch. Since the pitch was laid we have suffered 3-0 and 4-0 home defeats to Ross County, two 4-0 defeats to Aberdeen, a 3-0 defeat to yourselves and a 5-2 defeat to Partick. All I have heard from pundits for 3 years is that Kilmarnock's pitch is so poor, Killie players hate playing on it every other week, it's wearing them down blah blah blah. But now all of a sudden we win a few games on it, and its a massive advantage for us, no other team can cope with it, it's so unfair and the last 3 years are totally forgotten about! I agree that the pitch is rubbish and needs to go, but some of the stuff being said is way over the top and doesn't even make any sense given how the last 3 years have gone.

Thought it was an excellent game yesterday. Hibs were excellent the first half hour and could have had the game out of sight. But I felt we were outstanding in the 2nd half and could have won it, although I admit we got lucky with the penalty decision. I can understand Lennon's annoyance about the penalty but I thought his post match interview was really disrespectful to us, making out that we are only on a good run because of the pitch which is obviously nonsense. Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season!

Sir David Gray
25-02-2018, 09:48 PM
I'm a Killie fan but have several Hibs supporting family members, hope people don't mind me posting here. I was just interested to see Hibs fans views on the game yesterday after some of the controversy, and feel like I need to post something given all the chat about the pitch.

Since that pitch was laid 3 years ago our home form has been abysmal. In both 2015/16 and 2016/17 we won 4 games at home the whole season. In 2017 we went 7 months without a home league win and only won 1 league game at home under Lee McCulloch. Since the pitch was laid we have suffered 3-0 and 4-0 home defeats to Ross County, two 4-0 defeats to Aberdeen, a 3-0 defeat to yourselves and a 5-2 defeat to Partick. All I have heard from pundits for 3 years is that Kilmarnock's pitch is so poor, Killie players hate playing on it every other week, it's wearing them down blah blah blah. But now all of a sudden we win a few games on it, and its a massive advantage for us, no other team can cope with it, it's so unfair and the last 3 years are totally forgotten about! I agree that the pitch is rubbish and needs to go, but some of the stuff being said is way over the top and doesn't even make any sense given how the last 3 years have gone.

Thought it was an excellent game yesterday. Hibs were excellent the first half hour and could have had the game out of sight. But I felt we were outstanding in the 2nd half and could have won it, although I admit we got lucky with the penalty decision. I can understand Lennon's annoyance about the penalty but I thought his post match interview was really disrespectful to us, making out that we are only on a good run because of the pitch which is obviously nonsense. Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season!

A bit like the nonsense from Steve Clarke saying that Kilmarnock dominated the whole match?

The last hour probably. The second half undoubtedly.

But for 25-30 minutes we were well on top and should have been even further ahead at that point.

Just Alf
25-02-2018, 10:01 PM
A bit like the nonsense from Steve Clarke saying that Kilmarnock dominated the whole match?

The last hour probably. The second half undoubtedly.

But for 25-30 minutes we were well on top and should have been even further ahead at that point.Agree...

But srf1989, it IS good to hear from the "other side"..... :-)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

srf1989
25-02-2018, 10:04 PM
Yes fair enough. Clarke's assessment of the game wasn't totally accurate and a bit unfair on Hibs

brog
25-02-2018, 10:06 PM

Good comments, nice to get a different & honest perspective. The shame is I remember when Rugby Park had one of the best playing surfaces in Scotland. Good luck this week! 🤔

JimboHibs
25-02-2018, 10:14 PM
Your comments about McGinn and you struggling to think of a game where he's been so ineffective ? Let me remind you the game against Patrick,game against Aberdeen in your own words of course.

My_Wife_Camille
25-02-2018, 10:16 PM
Your comments about McGinn and you struggling to think of a game where he's been so ineffective ? Let me remind you the game against Patrick,game against Aberdeen in your own words of course.
Partick at home or away?

Billy Whizz
25-02-2018, 10:19 PM
Good comments, nice to get a different & honest perspective. The shame is I remember when Rugby Park had one of the best playing surfaces in Scotland. Good luck this week! 🤔

It did Brog

JimboHibs
25-02-2018, 10:20 PM
Partick at home or away?

Sorry Hamilton not Partick.Was reading through some of the previous posts as i reckon they're pretty well balanced reports.

Hi Heid Yin
25-02-2018, 10:31 PM
Yes fair enough. Clarke's assessment of the game wasn't totally accurate and a bit unfair on Hibs

Fair play for coming onto Hibs.net.

I respect your points re Killies artificial pitch, but you surely must see the sense in all SPL sides playing on either natural grass, or all SPL sides playing on top-grade artificial grass.
A level playing field (pardon the pun) is surely a must.

I also respect the fact that you acknowledged your managers poor and biased assessment of the game that "Killie dominated the Whole game"

Finally, it's great to see your lot take points off the Glasgow pair. Killies football, under Clark, has been pleasing on the eye and not just effective.
I'm not sure if your home attendances have gone up as a consequence, but you certainly deserve more punters through your gates.

The_Horde
25-02-2018, 10:31 PM

I think the main difference is you have a coach who knows how to make it an advantage now and players with quality to punish teams when the opportunities arrive.

We obviously played falkirk several times over the last few seasons and there's no doubt at all these pitches are at least a leveller. We'd totally dominate games at Easter Road but at falkirk it was always end to end no matter what, it's just so hard to control the tempo of the game when the balls bobbling and bouncing everywhere and falkirk knew this and the high press is very effective on it.

Your style reminded me a lot of falkirk on Saturday actually, albeit with more quality once in the good positions.

I actually think the whole debacle with Lennon is deflecting from the fact that Steve Clark outwitted him second half and he should've changed it whilst it was 2-0 as it was clear our midfield were toiling and outnumbered, especially in the wide areas.

Billy Whizz
25-02-2018, 10:34 PM
I think the main difference is you have a coach who knows how to make it an advantage now and players with quality to punish teams when the opportunities arrive.

We obviously played falkirk several times over the last few seasons and there's no doubt at all these pitches are at least a leveller. We'd totally dominate games at Easter Road but at falkirk it was always end to end no matter what, it's just so hard to control the tempo of the game when the balls bobbling and bouncing everywhere.

Your style reminded me a lot of falkirk on Saturday actually, albeit with more quality once in the good positions.

Houston/Falkirk used to get the ball forward early, and work on winning the 2nd ball. Pretty much how Killie played yesterday. Good luck to them, you have to play to the conditions, and we didn’t in the 2nd half, as Lennon said in his Hibs TV interview

The_Horde
25-02-2018, 10:39 PM
Houston/Falkirk used to get the ball forward early, and work on winning the 2nd ball. Pretty much how Killie played yesterday. Good luck to them, you have to play to the conditions, and we didn’t in the 2nd half, as Lennon said in his Hibs TV interview

Exactly it. Using the pitch to their advantage as they never got away with the same tactics at Easter Road and had to play a more counter attacking style.

Jonnyboy
25-02-2018, 10:46 PM

Sorry Hamilton not Partick.Was reading through some of the previous posts as i reckon they're pretty well balanced reports.

Fair play, Jimbo. He was indeed far from his best in those games but I felt the Killie game was his poorest to date :aok:

marleyhib
25-02-2018, 11:18 PM
Killie won all of the second balls after the first half an hour, for me that's why we struggled big time. Still think that surface doesn't suit passing players like Scott Allen and Lennon should have sussed that at half time and shores it up, if you're 2 up you should see the game out. Fair play to Killie and Steve Clark, I was there when we beat them 3-0 and thought they played well that day too.

Lewiehas2
26-02-2018, 09:38 AM

The players

Must've been close to you as I also heard that guy shouting. Pretty much agree with everything you've said here, great read. Take a point and onwards and upwards for this week!

:nlgwa

CRAZYHIBBY
26-02-2018, 09:43 AM
If it wasnt for some horrendous refereeing decisions this season we would be sitting clear in second place

leithsansiro
26-02-2018, 11:14 AM
Wasn't able to make the game but have enjoyed people's thoughts here. From watching the highlights, a couple of things come to me;

Firstly, although it's been well documented, the pitch is surely of significant concern. I'm fairly certain that the artificial pitch at the new Portobello High School is of a better standard than that. The run of the ball was inconsistent and there were definitely times when the ball skips up off the surface. People might say it's the same for both teams, and that's true, but at least Killie know where these inconsistencies in the pitch are.

Secondly, we need to get Marciano tied up. I'm not sure how long is left on his deal but he has saved us a huge number of points already this year and I fear that the vultures will start to circle soon.

And finally, Porteous is certainly a player. Fingers crossed he keeps a sensible head on him and I'm delighted he's able to learn from guys like Paul and Daz alongside him.

pacoluna
26-02-2018, 12:03 PM

The players

that wasn't a cross or a pass it was a shot at goal :greengrin

Oli missed a very good chance, lacked composure and missed the target by a long way when really he should have tested the keeper. Also should have picked out flo with a cross when on the counter attack but it was easily dealt with by the defender.

Sir David Gray
26-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Wasn't able to make the game but have enjoyed people's thoughts here. From watching the highlights, a couple of things come to me;

Firstly, although it's been well documented, the pitch is surely of significant concern. I'm fairly certain that the artificial pitch at the new Portobello High School is of a better standard than that. The run of the ball was inconsistent and there were definitely times when the ball skips up off the surface. People might say it's the same for both teams, and that's true, but at least Killie know where these inconsistencies in the pitch are.

Secondly, we need to get Marciano tied up. I'm not sure how long is left on his deal but he has saved us a huge number of points already this year and I fear that the vultures will start to circle soon.

And finally, Porteous is certainly a player. Fingers crossed he keeps a sensible head on him and I'm delighted he's able to learn from guys like Paul and Daz alongside him.

Marciano won't be going anywhere any time soon. He's still got 3.5 years left on his contract.

lapsedhibee
26-02-2018, 09:00 PM

Good post Sir Robert Ferguson.