PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Pitches

A Hi-Bee
24-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Should they be banned or should everyone have a plastic pitch or does anyone care.

Golden Bear
24-02-2018, 03:28 PM
Plastic out but hybrid pitches are worth considering.

Swedish hibee
24-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Being in Sweden, it doesn't stop us playing good football. Necessity when you don't live in the southern hemisphere.

emerald green
24-02-2018, 03:34 PM
I wonder if anyone has ever done any analysis on how frequently players are injured on these artificial surfaces as compared to when they play on grass pitches.

Thecat23
24-02-2018, 03:35 PM
I’d prefer they were banned. But if not the standard has to be better than the ones Killie and Hamilton have. They are the same as the ones you would play on at Schools all over Scotland.

Thecat23
24-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Being in Sweden, it doesn't stop us playing good football. Necessity when you don't live in the southern hemisphere.

What’s the standard of artificial pitches like over there? I’m assuming it’s far better surface than Killies?

CMac1988
24-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Not for me in the top league. No issue with Hybrids as the artificial grass is used to keep the turf together.

Lago
24-02-2018, 03:49 PM
Hamilton & Killie pitches are poor are they 3G or 4G ?
I don't think they should be allowed, but in Scotland finances come into play, hence Raith will put one down for next season.

Phil MaGlass
24-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Theres movement in Holland to take out all plastic pitches, not only does it allegedly add to injuries,the home team gains an unfair advantage and seems the rubber pellets they use on the pitches might be linked to cancer??

Pete
24-02-2018, 03:52 PM
The pitch at Killie looks like a dodgy 1980’s bathroom carpet so god knows what it’s like to play football on.

eastcoasthibby
24-02-2018, 04:43 PM
Hamilton & Killie pitches are poor are they 3G or 4G ?
I don't think they should be allowed, but in Scotland finances come into play, hence Raith will put one down for next season.
1 G ..at best

SmashinGlass
24-02-2018, 05:14 PM
Theres movement in Holland to take out all plastic pitches, not only does it allegedly add to injuries,the home team gains an unfair advantage and seems the rubber pellets they use on the pitches might be linked to cancer??

The cancer thing’s not been supported bar the initial research. It’s a bit of a misnomer. The Killie pitch, however, is dreadful. The number of unpredictable bounces today was off the scale

lord bunberry
24-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Spain, Italy, Portugal and Greece aren’t in the Southern Hemisphere :greengrin

FinnMacCool
24-02-2018, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't allow plastic pitches, football should be played on grass (or mud in the case of a certain team)

CentreLine
24-02-2018, 05:24 PM
In Killie’s case, not only is it a terrible surface, they have significantly reduced the size of the pitch to something akin to Tynecastle proportions. They are doing everything they can to give themselves advantage. Can’t blame them but there has to be a limit to this stuff

Keith_M
24-02-2018, 06:07 PM
I think, especially after today's game, we're not exactly impartial.

:wink:

sahpaton
24-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Could understand this argument 10 years ago when most pros had played their entire career on grass. Nowadays all players have had plenty experience on AstroTurf and current young players have grown up playing on it more than they have grass pitches. We have the facilities to train on 3G 4G or whatever G it is so no excuse imo.

A Hi-Bee
24-02-2018, 06:14 PM
They will end up getting one and we will then have another plastic pitch to have to play on, if they could get away wi it pretty sure they would have a sort of muddy dirty looking colour to it as well, make it look more like the tattie field they play on just now.

A Hi-Bee
24-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Could understand this argument 10 years ago when most pros had played their entire career on grass. Nowadays all players have had plenty experience on AstroTurf and current young players have grown up playing on it more than they have grass pitches. We have the facilities to train on 3G 4G or whatever G it is so no excuse imo.

Not sure the players would agree wi you, did you notice Boyle had his boots in his hand at the end, sure sign of sore feet, along with all the rolled ankles that Hibs players went down with during the game. It has to be grass we play top level football on.

BullsCloseHibs
24-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Kilmarnock's pitch is probably the most controversial pitch of recent times.

Swedish hibee
24-02-2018, 07:44 PM
What I don't understand is why you are so against them? I've seen some terrible grass pitches lately in Scottish football via online- maybe tv makes them look worse! The kids over here would never play on them in the community, never mind trained athletes. Kids need facilities for all year, so growing up using these pitches- you do get used to them and you can learn your skills on them.

Eyrie
24-02-2018, 08:13 PM
It's how good the pitch is that counts, not the type of surface.

You get a better game of football on a good plastic pitch than on a ploughed field like the PBS.

One Day
24-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Plastic out but hybrid pitches are worth considering.

I agree with this. The standard of pitch at Kilmarnock leaves a lot to be desired

Iggy Pope
24-02-2018, 08:53 PM
I've said on the McG / McG thread, that pitch would not be accepted if a National League side promoted in England came up to League 2 with it. This in in EFL regulations.
They'd be demoted. Possibly even two steps.

It's deplorable that this lottery of a surface is deemed acceptable in top flight Scottish Football.
And it's been at Rugby Park for years now.

Pretty Boy
24-02-2018, 08:56 PM
I've played on some excellent artificial parks that are far better than most grass parks in Scotland in winter when growth is almost non existent.

The surfaces at Kilmarnock, Hamilton and Falkirk are not top level artificial surfaces and shouldn't be allowed in the top league. There should be a minimum standard for them to be acceptable.

matty_f
24-02-2018, 08:57 PM
I've said on the McG / McG thread, that pitch would not be accepted if a National League side promoted in England came up to League 2 with it. This in in EFL regulations.

It's deplorable that this lottery of a surface is deemed acceptable in top flight Scottish Football.

:agree: Their pitch is a shocker, it shouldn't be permitted. I can understand the financial reasons for it, but if they can't afford a grass pitch then they should cut their cloth so they can afford it.

Mon Dieu4
24-02-2018, 09:03 PM
I can handle a ***** pitch as it's the same for both teams but as these pitches contrary to popular belief play nothing like real grass then it gives the home team a huge huge and unfair advantage imo

WhileTheChief..
24-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Great for schools and kids football.

Should be nowhere near top flight clubs.

Sergey
24-02-2018, 09:07 PM

Sorry - but you're not quite 100% on the mark.

Maidstone are pushing for 4G to be accepted into the League structure - and I'm reliably informed that their wish will be granted at the next vote.

I've just returned from a Pub League match on a perfectly acceptable 3G surface and it's sour grapes if you cite the surface as the reason for the result.

Just my opinion.

Golden Bear
24-02-2018, 09:14 PM

Maidstone are pushing for 4G to be accepted into the League structure - and I'm reliably informed that their wish will be granted at the next vote.

I've just returned from a Pub League match on a perfectly acceptable 3G surface and it's sour grapes if you cite the surface as the reason for the result.

Just my opinion.

If you had witnessed today's televised game and seen the many inconsistencies in the playing surface then your thoughts might be different. It's not sour grapes, it's a fact.

Iggy Pope
24-02-2018, 09:17 PM

Just my opinion.

How does that structure stand right now irrespective of the next vote? Think I'm right on the mark for now.

The Killie surface is not fit for the top flight of Scottish Football. I've just returned from the match too. You've maybe been away too long.

Sergey
24-02-2018, 09:22 PM
If you had witnessed today's televised game and seen the many inconsistencies in the playing surface then your thoughts might be different. It's not sour grapes, it's a fact.

I hold my hands up and admit I (couldn't) see today's match.

If Killie are using 3G then that isn't acceptable - 4G is IMHO.

BTW - I'm a big advocate of synthetic surfaces - at all levels of the game. It's probably why we're lagging behind 3rd world countries in youth development in the game.

YMMV

Golden Bear
24-02-2018, 09:27 PM
I hold my hands up and admit I (couldn't) see today's match.

If Killie are using 3G then that isn't acceptable - 4G is IMHO.

BTW - I'm a big advocate of synthetic surfaces - at all levels of the game. It's probably why we're lagging behind 3rd world countries in youth development in the game.

YMMV

I daresay that some plastic pitches will be better than other plastic surfaces but Rugby Park must rank as one of the poorer ones. Diabolical in fact.

Billy Whizz
24-02-2018, 09:32 PM

Just my opinion.

I didn’t there was a pitch graded as G4

Sergey
24-02-2018, 09:35 PM

I'm not looking to argue the fact - I admitted I didn't see the game - but there is a huge difference between 3G and 4G and 4G is the way forward. It's clear from the recent posts on this thread that Kilmarnock aren't using 4G as that plays nigh-on perfect.

As I stated - I'm an advocate of synthetic surfaces as it's the way forward at youth level.

We (as a nation) can't progress players playing on grass pitches in Scotland in February.

You surely agree on that?

Billy Whizz
24-02-2018, 09:39 PM
I'm not looking to argue the fact - I admitted I didn't see the game - but there is a huge difference between 3G and 4G and 4G is the way forward. It's clear from the recent posts on this thread that Kilmarnock aren't using 4G as that plays nigh-on perfect.

As I stated - I'm an advocate of synthetic surfaces as it's the way forward at youth level.

We (as a nation) can't progress players playing on grass pitches in Scotland in February.

Sergey, the Killie pitch isn’t good enough
Kilmarnock used to have one of the best playing surfaces in Scotland. What they have now is awful

Iggy Pope
24-02-2018, 09:41 PM
Kilmarnock used to have one of the best playing surfaces in Scotland. What they have now is awful

The gist, exactly. Not acceptable here, not acceptable anywhere for pro use. Even in the 'pub league' referred to.

we are hibs
24-02-2018, 09:42 PM
The worst Ive ever seen was that carpet Dunfermline put down about 12/13 years ago. I'm sure there were players getting injured every other week on it

Sergey
24-02-2018, 09:47 PM

The gist, exactly. Not acceptable here, not acceptable anywhere for pro use. Even in the 'pub league' referred to.

You boys (girls - I don't know) clearly know more about the Killie pitch than I do. I bow to your knowledge and will admit defeat on this one (I wasn't really arguing about excuses).

4G pitches are the way forward (IMHO) - not Pikey ones...proper synthetic surfaces where matches can be played in Baltic conditions.

:aok:

Iggy Pope
24-02-2018, 09:47 PM

(You've replied to the same Golden Bear post twice. Not sure if that was intentional but if you were replying to my thoughts on the English standards, then there are plenty of top flight Scottish pitches, here in February in the frozen Northern wastes, that are fine surfaces. Easter Road and Dens for example and cash strapped Ibrox. Cappielow also in great Nick in tier 2. Some clubs manage it).

hibbysam
24-02-2018, 09:49 PM
You boys (girls - I don't know) clearly know more about the Killie pitch than I do. I bow to your knowledge and will admit defeat on this one (I wasn't really arguing about excuses).

4G pitches are the way forward (IMHO) - not Pikey ones...proper synthetic surfaces where matches can be played in Baltic conditions.

:aok:

The fact they had a game postponed on said surface says all you need to know about it.

Iggy Pope
24-02-2018, 09:49 PM
The worst Ive ever seen was that carpet Dunfermline put down about 12/13 years ago. I'm sure there were players getting injured every other week on it

That had a seam up the middle like my Granny's back room carpet. (RIP Nana 1892-1977)......

Billy Whizz
24-02-2018, 09:56 PM
(You've replied to the same Golden Bear post twice. Not sure if that was intentional but if you were replying to my thoughts on the English standards, then there are plenty of top flight Scottish pitches, here in February in the frozen Northern wastes, that are fine surfaces. Easter Road and Dens for example and cash strapped Ibrox. Cappielow also in great Nick in tier 2. Some clubs manage it).

I wouldn’t bother, the only 4G at the moment is a phone signal!
Anyone at the game today could see that the surface was atrocious. Killie know how to play to it, think they’ve won 7 on the blue cat home. Made our good players look like amateurs

Rocky
24-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Pretty sure I read that Killie are going back to grass from 2019/20 season.

I'm torn on the artificial vs grass debate but I know, as a youth football coach, that it's an absolute boon at our level. The quality of passing play compared to a muddy field is just a massive difference.

The one thing I would say about the bounce of the ball is that any spin on the ball has a much bigger impact on astro than on grass - maybe players need to learn to read the spin.

And I would like to see all astro pitches well watered, they play much better when wet. Obviously the cost of this is prohibitive at youth level but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be a condition of professional matches.

silverhibee
24-02-2018, 11:34 PM
The cancer thing’s not been supported bar the initial research. It’s a bit of a misnomer. The Killie pitch, however, is dreadful. The number of unpredictable bounces today was off the scale

The unpredictable bounces are due to build up of pellets, they also cause injury on players who are landing on a foot, land on a pile of pellets and a chance you will snap your ankle, the pitches should be brushed after every game to smooth the pellets out.

They should just be banned from top flight football.

heretoday
25-02-2018, 01:32 AM
I hate these pitches. The players wear white boots, they can't handle the bouncing ball and it looks like they're playing in a gym.

Dashing Bob S
25-02-2018, 02:29 AM
It gives the likes of No Class Clarke a distinct advantage. Would Killies home record be as impressive on grass? I doubt it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-02-2018, 07:20 AM
That surface yesterday was a shocker, the ball hardly rolled along the surface for the whole game. Whilst their first goal was a cracker their main tactic seemed to be high lobbed balls into the box and then taking advantage of an inconsistently bouncing ball.

judas
25-02-2018, 07:48 AM
It's the future imo.

Kids are playing on it all the time now and each new generation of surface is better than the last.

The pitches do need to be watered though.

Use these surfaces in Scandinavian countries and they can play a bit.

My own personal experience is that (as a wobbly ankles guy) uneven and poor grass pitches are far worse for injuries that Astro.

weecounty hibby
25-02-2018, 09:15 AM
My son played on one n Airdrie yesterday morning and it was the same as the one at Kilmarnock. Uneven bounce, balls bouncing over kids heads, balls bouncing up at chest level that should never get that high. It is just so unnatural and Inconsistent and grass should always be the surface that top level teams play on

RyeSloan
25-02-2018, 09:46 AM
Can any of the advocates of 4G pitches on this thread care to explain what they are?

SChibs
25-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Don't see much of an issue with plastic pitches as long as they are up to a certain standard. I'm sure CSKA Moscow have one and they play on it in the UCL. If it was really that bad surely UEFA would tell them they can't use it in that competition?

The majority of teams have access to training on 3G/4G pitches so it's not really alien to them when they go to these stadiums

SirDavidsNapper
25-02-2018, 10:07 AM
All for hybrid pitches but unless you have endless sums of money like Hearts its not viable. Plastic is horrendous though.

Pretty Boy
25-02-2018, 10:17 AM
Can any of the advocates of 4G pitches on this thread care to explain what they are?

For amateur football they are ideal imo. Edinburgh Leisure have called off pitches on a Friday morning on at least 4 or 5 occasions this season due to frost or waterlogging. Parks like the Gyle and Cavalry park have 3 or 4 games played on them every weekend and are in a disgraceful condition. There's very few floodlit grass parks in Edinburgh and the ones there are cost a fortune to rent, again for amateur teams training in winter the synthetic surfaces are a necessity.

The very best artificial surfaces are very good, I think the NE Patriots in the NFL have about the best going at the moment but as with everything quality costs.

RyeSloan
25-02-2018, 10:25 AM
For amateur football they are ideal imo. Edinburgh Leisure have called off pitches on a Friday morning on at least 4 or 5 occasions this season due to frost or waterlogging. Parks like the Gyle and Cavalry park have 3 or 4 games played on them every weekend and are in a disgraceful condition. There's very few floodlit grass parks in Edinburgh and the ones there are cost a fortune to rent, again for amateur teams training in winter the synthetic surfaces are a necessity.

The very best artificial surfaces are very good, I think the NE Patriots in the NFL have about the best going at the moment but as with everything quality costs.

Aye I get that for certain levels artificial pitches are a necessity.

What I’m confused by is the 3G / 4G thing.

Google seems to suggest that there really isn’t a such a thing as a 4G pitch and that the black crumb pitches are 3G and that’s about as far as they have been developed.

But I see 4G mentioned a lot and as you have alluded to folk claiming big differences between that nonsense pitch of yesterday and other pitches used at top levels.

Liam978
25-02-2018, 12:08 PM
In Killie’s case, not only is it a terrible surface, they have significantly reduced the size of the pitch to something akin to Tynecastle proportions. They are doing everything they can to give themselves advantage. Can’t blame them but there has to be a limit to this stuff

Yes noticed that yesterday that the touchlines were much further away from the stands, also do they not have to install the under ground heating with those surfaces as the main stand area looked treacherously frozen to which 3 of our players fell at vital moments.

Hibrandenburg
25-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Football should be played on grass. It not just about how the ball rolls or bounces, but also about how the foot addresses the ball and what effect stopping, turning and other impact movements have on players joints. You wouldn't expect golf professionals to play on plastic grass so why would you expect footballers to?

Eyrie
25-02-2018, 12:32 PM
Football should be played on grass. It not just about how the ball rolls or bounces, but also about how the foot addresses the ball and what effect stopping, turning and other impact movements have on players joints. You wouldn't expect golf professionals to play on plastic grass so why would you expect footballers to?

I'm sure a similar argument was made about not giving women the vote. All that happened was we got competent and incompetent female politicians to add to the competent and incompetent male politicians.

The correct approach isn't some prehistoric idea that football can only be played on grass but instead a sensible recognition that football should be played on the best possible surface available. A sub-standard grass pitch (eg the PBS) is every bit as unacceptable as a sub-standard plastic pitch like yesterday's.

monktonharp
25-02-2018, 01:45 PM
I’d prefer they were banned. But if not the standard has to be better than the ones Killie and Hamilton have. They are the same as the ones you would play on at Schools all over Scotland.I think the pitch had an effect on SJM 's game yesterday. he did not have a good game, but his particular normal game is for holding the ball, twisting, turning etc. he kept falling over. as did Scott Allan at times.

monktonharp
25-02-2018, 01:52 PM

The very best artificial surfaces are very good, I think the NE Patriots in the NFL have about the best going at the moment but as with everything quality costs.lets not bring the Patriots into it. they don't play "soccer" do they?

Carheenlea
25-02-2018, 02:22 PM
McGinn can't play his favoured game on it - those quick turns before bursting forward. Can't get the same dig or purchase into the surface before propelling himself away. The tackling is not the same, the bounce is very different from grass and the players never really seem to be in control of the ball. Fine for bad weather training or games of 5 aside, but not conducive to professional 11 aside football.

I'd deduct points at the start of the season for teams with plastic pitches - and throw in further reductions for anyone with missing stands/open ends.. To think Kilmarnock prior to this traditionally had one of the better surfaces too.

lord bunberry
25-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Hibs seem happy to let the under 20’s play all their home games on a plastic pitch. Is it just the case that pitch at the oriam is a better example.

Hibrandenburg
25-02-2018, 02:36 PM
I'm sure a similar argument was made about not giving women the vote.

Eh!

NAE NOOKIE
25-02-2018, 02:37 PM

Just my opinion.

I watched the women's world cup a few years ago where every game was played on artificial surfaces, I also watch my local club play on a 3G surface and I can say without fear of contradiction that they don't play the same as grass ..... the most obvious thing is the bounce of the ball, if it hits the ground at a 30 degree angle it invariably bounces up at more of a 45 degree angle.

A club playing and training regularly on that surface against a club which doesn't has to have an advantage. IMO artificial pitches are a good thing at lower level, because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. But in top level football the games should be played on grass and if a club cant afford to maintain a decent standard of grass pitch IMO they shouldn't be allowed in the premiership.

Billy Whizz
25-02-2018, 02:42 PM
Hibs seem happy to let the under 20’s play all their home games on a plastic pitch. Is it just the case that pitch at the oriam is a better example.

It’s watered before the games and at ht, which makes the ball move quicker
Killie didn’t water it, as they thought it would suit our passing game

cmcd
25-02-2018, 02:57 PM
I watched the women's world cup a few years ago where every game was played on artificial surfaces, I also watch my local club play on a 3G surface and I can say without fear of contradiction that they don't play the same as grass ..... the most obvious thing is the bounce of the ball, if it hits the ground at a 30 degree angle it invariably bounces up at more of a 45 degree angle.

A club playing and training regularly on that surface against a club which doesn't has to have an advantage. IMO artificial pitches are a good thing at lower level, because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. But in top level football the games should be played on grass and if a club cant afford to maintain a decent standard of grass pitch IMO they shouldn't be allowed in the premiership.
Spot on

Iggy Pope
25-02-2018, 02:59 PM
I'm sure a similar argument was made about not giving women the vote. All that happened was we got competent and incompetent female politicians to add to the competent and incompetent male politicians.

The correct approach isn't some prehistoric idea that football can only be played on grass but instead a sensible recognition that football should be played on the best possible surface available. A sub-standard grass pitch (eg the PBS) is every bit as unacceptable as a sub-standard plastic pitch like yesterday's.

Well, that little bit of legislation gave us the likes of Thatcher, Sturgeon, May and Arlene bloody Foster. Bugger having plastic pitches like any of those.

lord bunberry
25-02-2018, 03:07 PM
It’s watered before the games and at ht, which makes the ball move quicker
Killie didn’t water it, as they thought it would suit our passing game
If that’s the case then killie should be fined and made to water the pitch properly. I understand why teams have these pitches, but they shouldn’t then be allowed to further increase their advantage by not watering it.

Billy Whizz
25-02-2018, 03:14 PM
If that’s the case then killie should be fined and made to water the pitch properly. I understand why teams have these pitches, but they shouldn’t then be allowed to further increase their advantage by not watering it.

I agree, think I heard Lennon say yesterday that Killie had won 7 on the trot on their plastic pitch, massive advantage to them

lord bunberry
25-02-2018, 03:16 PM
I agree, think I heard Lennon say yesterday that Killie had won 7 on the trot on their plastic pitch, massive advantage to them
:agree: He did say that.

Carheenlea
25-02-2018, 05:08 PM

I suspect they are entitled to do what they wish with their own pitch providing it meets the correct dimensions. I'd like to see them outlawed for the Premier League. There are supposedly better artificial surfaces according to some on this thread, but the ones we have in Scottish league football at present do the reputation of our game no favours. Mickey Mouse.

J-C
25-02-2018, 06:29 PM
I can understand lower league teams using plastic pitches as the costs of resurfacing on a regular basis is fairly high but there should be no plastic pitches used in the SPL, it's ridiculous that they are allowed.

hibbysam
25-02-2018, 07:07 PM
I suspect they are entitled to do what they wish with their own pitch providing it meets the correct dimensions. I'd like to see them outlawed for the Premier League. There are supposedly better artificial surfaces according to some on this thread, but the ones we have in Scottish league football at present do the reputation of our game no favours. Mickey Mouse.

I presume they get watered before the testing takes place though. Who’s to say theyatill meet the roll/bounce regulations without water on the pitch to assist.

blackpoolhibs
26-02-2018, 07:17 AM
I'm all for plastic pitches, they are the way forward. Yet until such times as we have a surface as near as possible to grass, then its a no from me in top flight football in Scotland.

I played on the old Luton Town carpet, as thats really all it was, and i know things have moved on an awful lot, but from watching games on the current surfaces we currently have all over the country, it just doesn't feel like a proper game of football.

Players that i have seen interviewed on this have said they cant run at 100%, that should rule them out straight away.

I'm sure something will be invented some time in the future that we will all want, but at the moment we dont, so its a no from me.

where'stheslope
26-02-2018, 10:04 AM
2 goals in 9 minutes, suggests we can play on plastic pitches.
Saturdays game was about attitude, after going 2 goals up we were all over them, could have scored more but didn't, they started to fight their way back into the game and we allowed them back in and paid the price for not finishing them off!!!

Geo_1875
26-02-2018, 12:15 PM
I was surprised at the inconsistency of the pitch on Saturday. Obviously the bounce is always going to be erratic but the pace slowed during the game. This is obviously a huge advantage to the home side.

Carheenlea
26-02-2018, 07:50 PM
Rocky explained in his interview that the pitch prevented him from getting up quick to give himself a chance of saving Boyd's rebound from his spot kick. No purchase at all to spring back up.

I'm Spartacus
27-02-2018, 04:19 PM
I wonder if covering a stadium outweighs the long term cost, and subsequent running costs, of under soil heating.

In this day and age we should be able to produce a perfect artificial alternative.

J-C
27-02-2018, 11:47 PM
I wonder if covering a stadium outweighs the long term cost, and subsequent running costs, of under soil heating.

In this day and age we should be able to produce a perfect artificial alternative.

I wonder how many millions it's cost to put a roof on ER and all the other stadiums in the SPL, a lot cheaper to lay a Desso pitch like they have in most top EPL grounds nowadays.

Carheenlea
27-02-2018, 11:53 PM
I'm surprised Hearts haven't considered a full artificial pitch. I know they are suggesting they are going to lay a £1M hybrid pitch, but given their favoured style of play, a plastic pitch would suit them very well.

CropleyisGod
28-02-2018, 12:15 AM
I'm surprised Hearts haven't considered a full artificial pitch. I know they are suggesting they are going to lay a £1M hybrid pitch, but given their favoured style of play, a plastic pitch would suit them very well.

Does a pitch need to be green? I understand it’s possible to grow tatties under black plastic so the Jumbos could cover the surface with black bin liners... two birds with one stone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
28-02-2018, 12:33 AM
Hearts food kiosks are offering home grown jacket potatoes. Pretty green and forward thinking to be honest.