PDA

View Full Version : What was our best team since mid 80’s?

Bay Area Hibees
21-02-2018, 03:14 AM
Would the Scottish cup legends team beat McLeish’s team or Skol Cup winning team or CIS winners?

2016 team is my favorite for obvious reasons but I think McLeish’s team was the strongest.

Thoughts?

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2018, 06:14 AM
Agree with you, the 2001 team was very good but was also by far the most expensive team we have ever had. 2016 will always be my favourite Hibs team

SirDavidsNapper
21-02-2018, 06:17 AM
Would the Scottish cup legends team beat McLeish’s team or Skol Cup winning team or CIS winners?

2016 team is my favorite for obvious reasons but I think McLeish’s team was the strongest.

Thoughts?

Agree with that. McLeish had a far bigger budget to work with. My favourite side was Mowbrays though. Great time to watch Hibs. This team are very close too.

judas
21-02-2018, 06:56 AM

Thoughts?

McLeish team but current squad in my view.

The problem with the Mcleish team was that the starting 11 was great, but the quality on the bench wasn't so good.

This current Hibs squad has good first team players on the bench.

Treadstone
21-02-2018, 08:50 AM
Loved the 2001 team. Sauzee sways me but that defence was the best I've seen at ER. Fenwick and Smith were inspired alongside le god. Probably helped by having Matty Jack playing a superb holding job in midfield

monktonharp
21-02-2018, 06:00 PM
Loved the 2001 team. Sauzee sways me but that defence was the best I've seen at ER. Fenwick and Smith were inspired alongside le god. Probably helped by having Matty Jack playing a superb holding job in midfieldwe have a player in Matty Jack's position and he is better than Matty. we have a superb back line, a midfield that are sublime at times, although they may in fact be broken up soon and we have front players that excite me right now. the current squad is superb. 2016 was unbelievable, and fulfilled our dreams but today's team are so good.

IGRIGI
21-02-2018, 06:02 PM
I would say 2001 for the Sauzee and Latapy aspects but a match between that team and today's team would be mouth watering.

Mibbes Aye
21-02-2018, 06:04 PM
Since the mid-80s there's been some very good sides in spells - under McLeish, Mowbray, Collins, Lennon in the top-flight and Stubbs in the Championship (and even a bit under Williamson in the top flight)

As to best rather than favourite, then I would have plumped for McLeish's team as probably strongest, pound-for-pound. I had a quick look at the stats though and did a very 'rough and ready' calculation of points per league game, basing all wins as three points to take account of the change in the mid-Nineties.

Mowbray shows up as strongest over his two effective seasons, though McLeish looks to have had the best return in 2000-01.

What was interesting though was Miller's returns in the early nineties - three seasons out of four where the return was close on 1.5 points per game, which holds up well by comparison to anyone else.

Lots of caveats there though - Celtc were far weaker in the early-mid Nineties than in the periods other managers faced them (but Aberdeen and teams like Motherwell were a lot, lot stronger). And Miller was undoubtedly defensive-minded but still enjoyed the chance to field some exceptional attacking players - we usually put five past at least one top-flight team per season in those days IIRC

Sir David Gray
21-02-2018, 06:08 PM
The cup final squad is my favourite ever team and unless we win the Champions League, it always will be.

SirDavidsNapper
21-02-2018, 06:14 PM
I think we're all very lucky to be witnessing this current team in green and white

thebausburst
21-02-2018, 06:36 PM
Since the mid-80s there's been some very good sides in spells - under McLeish, Mowbray, Collins, Lennon in the top-flight and Stubbs in the Championship (and even a bit under Williamson in the top flight)

As to best rather than favourite, then I would have plumped for McLeish's team as probably strongest, pound-for-pound. I had a quick look at the stats though and did a very 'rough and ready' calculation of points per league game, basing all wins as three points to take account of the change in the mid-Nineties.

Mowbray shows up as strongest over his two effective seasons, though McLeish looks to have had the best return in 2000-01.

What was interesting though was Miller's returns in the early nineties - three seasons out of four where the return was close on 1.5 points per game, which holds up well by comparison to anyone else.

Lots of caveats there though - Celtc were far weaker in the early-mid Nineties than in the periods other managers faced them (but Aberdeen and teams like Motherwell were a lot, lot stronger). And Miller was undoubtedly defensive-minded but still enjoyed the chance to field some exceptional attacking players - we usually put five past at least one top-flight team per season in those days IIRC

Agree Miller mid 90s team was a cracker, Keith Wright, DJ, Crunchie, Goram, McGinlay

hibby6270
21-02-2018, 08:40 PM
If it had stayed together longer the team with Whittaker, Brown, Thomson, O’Connor and Riordan could have been league winners. You add to that Murphy, Sproule and Fletcher. Need I say more?

judas
21-02-2018, 09:37 PM
Agree Miller mid 90s team was a cracker, Keith Wright, DJ, Crunchie, Goram, McGinlay

Couldn't beat hearts. So that teams quite a bit off the leaders for me.

Bay Area Hibees
21-02-2018, 10:17 PM

Love the analysis !

Stuart93
21-02-2018, 10:22 PM
I think we're all very lucky to be witnessing this current team in green and white

Eh? Na not for me, Mowbray's hibs team would be sitting clear in 2nd. Mcleish's hibs team would be challenging for 1st.

Nakedmanoncrack
21-02-2018, 10:26 PM

Goram never played in same team as the others though, apart from probably a few appearances with Pat McGinlay.

Nakedmanoncrack
21-02-2018, 10:32 PM
Goram never played in same team as the others though, apart from probably a few appearances with Pat McGinlay.

Actually more than a few come to think of it, they must have played together a couple of seasons - the rest didn't play with Goram though.

superfurryhibby
21-02-2018, 10:36 PM
Eh? Na not for me, Mowbray's hibs team would be sitting clear in 2nd. Mcleish's hibs team would be challenging for 1st.

For the luv ae Christ man, never mind glass half empty, yours has been rammed right up yer erchie.

One Day Soon
21-02-2018, 10:41 PM
For the luv ae Christ man, never mind glass half full, yours has been rammed right up yer erchie.

You may have put your finger, as it were, on why his posts are generally so negative.

Stevie Reid
21-02-2018, 10:44 PM

Miller genuinely built a team up over a number of years, as his tenure was predominantly pre-Bosman, and the majority of time was only two subs on the bench. There were no wholesale changes every summer, and no transfer windows meant no flurry of activity in January.

First team squad was much smaller, so budget wasn't stretched across so many players, which meant that we'd usually spend fairly big on a transfer fee once or twice a season. By and large he did it well, a couple of his teams I loved when I was growing up. Any team with Wright, Jackson, McGinlay, McAllister and O'Neill would always have been worth watching.

Miller's budget definitely suffered from the building of the FF and away stands as well, which saw a decline in quality at the end.

superfurryhibby
21-02-2018, 10:58 PM
How's that a negative post? Cause I'm stating mcleish & mowbrays hibs teams are better than the current one? I haven't said anywhere that the current squad isn't good?

Your'e a chancer.

jgl07
21-02-2018, 11:11 PM
McGinlay will have played with Goram in his first spell with Hibs. McAllister and O'Neill came in with the cash brought in by the transfer of McGinlay.

That made Hibs into a strong team, more so when Pat came back from Celtic. Jim Leighton in goals for a pittance from Dundee reserves added to the team.

Had the team had a top class creative midfielder (better than Danny Lennon) and a good holding midfielder (an upgrade from Davie Farrell) the team could have won a cup or two and even given Rangers a run for their money in the League.

Nakedmanoncrack
21-02-2018, 11:28 PM
McGinlay will have played with Goram in his first spell with Hibs. McAllister and O'Neill came in with the cash brought in by the transfer of McGinlay.

That made Hibs into a strong team, more so when Pat came back from Celtic. Jim Leighton in goals for a pittance from Dundee reserves added to the team.

Had the team had a top class creative midfielder (better than Danny Lennon) and a good holding midfielder (an upgrade from Davie Farrell) the team could have won a cup or two and even given Rangers a run for their money in the League.

Would have settled for giving Hearts a run for their money... abysmal derby record over far too many years, and a welcome seriously overstayed were Miller's downfall. Did produce the 91 LC winners & came close a couple of years later though, his best team was the one that finished 3rd, point behind Motherwell.

Mibbes Aye
21-02-2018, 11:33 PM
Miller genuinely built a team up over a number of years, as his tenure was predominantly pre-Bosman, and the majority of time was only two subs on the bench. There were no wholesale changes every summer, and no transfer windows meant no flurry of activity in January.

First team squad was much smaller, so budget wasn't stretched across so many players, which meant that we'd usually spend fairly big on a transfer fee once or twice a season. By and large he did it well, a couple of his teams I loved when I was growing up. Any team with Wright, Jackson, McGinlay, McAllister and O'Neill would always have been worth watching.

Miller's budget definitely suffered from the building of the FF and away stands as well, which saw a decline in quality at the end.

Good points. I forgot to mention the Bosman effect and prior to that it felt fairly reliable that we would spend some money and gain some money via the transfer system.

The subs rule is a bit like the three points for a win. I'd almost forgotten we never had it, then when you're reminded it's "Oh, aye!!!"

With Miller, the suspicion was that you would never have seen a sub until the 89th minute regardless, and then it would have been Michael Renwick or likewise, for a forward player, with instructions not to cross the halfway line :greengrin.

Still, for all that, one can claim that it was possible to see dazzling football under Miller, maybe not all the time but when it clicked it was as good as anyone who followed him. There were a good few games where O'Neill and then Jackson were the best players on the park by a mile and clearly so, to all watching.

beensaidbefore
21-02-2018, 11:47 PM

Also 2 foreigner rule. Gareth Evans was one of ours😂

Eyrie
21-02-2018, 11:51 PM
Also 2 foreigner rule. Gareth Evans was one of ours😂

An Englishman with a Welsh name playing for a Scottish team with an Irish name. Can't get any more international than that!

MacGruber
22-02-2018, 12:01 AM
Couldn't beat hearts. So that teams quite a bit off the leaders for me.

They did.... eventually!

I just missed out on the skol cup team being too young though my early years did start with Alex Miller and whilst I realise there was loads of crap under Miller we did have a very good team 93/94 ish with Keith Wright and Jackson up top, Crunchie one wing Michael O'Neill the other Pat McGinlay, Harper breaking through Leighton in goal & Gordon Hunter and co.. Unlucky not to win silver to Rangers in that cup final.

The McLeish team was then excellent. Mixu, Latapy, Frank & Co.

Mowbray had a good team - the golden generation mixed with some very shrewd young signings and a free flowing mentality

Stubbs the same, young and great football. Great signings... Holy Grail of course.

Neil Lennon's Hibs are up there too.

So I make it 4 identifiable teams since the early nineties that have been really good sides.

Too many rubbish ones to mention

basehibby
22-02-2018, 04:53 AM
McLeish's team had Sauzee and Latapy - each of whom were worth the admission money by themselves. But we are talking teams here - Mowbray's team was so exuberant and full of youth - and much of it from our own academy who went on to play for Scotland - very exciting to watch and a joy to behold - a team that was broken up all to quickly (as per usual)

But we are talking TEAMS here and on that count what we have right now is very hard to beat - we have an excellent backline and midfield right now. For me the front pair have still got it all to prove although both Kamberi and MacLaren have made a running start and are looking good.

On balance though - for sheer thrill factor what about the Williamson/Mowbray/Collins vintage?!? Watching Riordan and O'Connor come through together up front was just gob smackingly good and they were complemented by Whittaker, Brown and Thomson - with a flurry of inspired Mowbray signings like Murphy, Jones, Beuzlin, Sheils and Sproule - we looked unstoppable at times.

But who am I kidding??? The team of 210516 - a brilliant team full of character, skill and resolve that just happened to (desrvedly!) crack that 114 year old hoodoo - yup there's no competition really - and half of them still with us - GLORY GLORY :nlgwa:nlgwa

My old man
22-02-2018, 05:37 AM
McLeish's team had Sauzee and Latapy - each of whom were worth the admission money by themselves. But we are talking teams here - Mowbray's team was so exuberant and full of youth - and much of it from our own academy who went on to play for Scotland - very exciting to watch and a joy to behold - a team that was broken up all to quickly (as per usual)

But we are talking TEAMS here and on that count what we have right now is very hard to beat - we have an excellent backline and midfield right now. For me the front pair have still got it all to prove although both Kamberi and MacLaren have made a running start and are looking good.

On balance though - for sheer thrill factor what about the Williamson/Mowbray/Collins vintage?!? Watching Riordan and O'Connor come through together up front was just gob smackingly good and they were complemented by Whittaker, Brown and Thomson - with a flurry of inspired Mowbray signings like Murphy, Jones, Beuzlin, Sheils and Sproule - we looked unstoppable at times.

But who am I kidding??? The team of 210516 - a brilliant team full of character, skill and resolve that just happened to (desrvedly!) crack that 114 year old hoodoo - yup there's no competition really - and half of them still with us - GLORY GLORY :nlgwa:nlgwa

10/10
I often wonder ( if we can keep this squad together) how far
we can actually go
My reason is we seem to be improving week by week like a bunch of students on a course

Dibben
22-02-2018, 08:44 AM
we have a player in Matty Jack's position and he is better than Matty. we have a superb back line, a midfield that are sublime at times, although they may in fact be broken up soon and we have front players that excite me right now. the current squad is superb. 2016 was unbelievable, and fulfilled our dreams but today's team are so good.

Yip. In years to come, we will be asking - ‘who’s going to fill the Marvin Bartley role’?

Iggy Pope
22-02-2018, 04:31 PM
The 2016 delivery squad is the best since the 40s and 50s. There is no question. I'm as nostalgic as anyone and getting old, but there are characters in the squad now that surpass the Hibernian achievements of any of the greats of any Hibs squad from about 1958 until now. In my opinion.

Sauzee16
22-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Our cup winning. Squad no contrst. After that mid Mowbrays team.

Smartie
22-02-2018, 05:05 PM
In the context of Scottish football/ European football/ World football, you'd have to say Miller's best team.

Rangers (as they were known at the time) would be tangling with the big guns of Europe during the week. They beat Leeds, the English Champions and got a step or 2 away from the earliest Champions League finals (after it had changed from the European Cup).

Hateley and McCoist caused excellent European sides a lot of problems - then often got as tough a game as they got against the European big guns against Hunter and McIntyre.

We finished third behind a very strong Rangers side and a good Motherwell side (and were unlucky not to finish higher).

There was a fair bit of dross under Miller, but around 93/94 that side was outstanding. It was a decent centre-midfield partner for McGinlay, a decent centre-half partner for Geebsie and a bit of strength in squad depth away from being an exceptional side.

The current side has a lot of potential and is a joy to watch at times but because of the relative standing of Scottish football now as opposed to 20 odd years ago, I don't think they quite measure up to that side.

Stevie Reid
22-02-2018, 05:35 PM
In the context of Scottish football/ European football/ World football, you'd have to say Miller's best team.

Rangers (as they were known at the time) would be tangling with the big guns of Europe during the week. They beat Leeds, the English Champions and got a step or 2 away from the earliest Champions League finals (after it had changed from the European Cup).

Hateley and McCoist caused excellent European sides a lot of problems - then often got as tough a game as they got against the European big guns against Hunter and McIntyre.

We finished third behind a very strong Rangers side and a good Motherwell side (and were unlucky not to finish higher).

There was a fair bit of dross under Miller, but around 93/94 that side was outstanding. It was a decent centre-midfield partner for McGinlay, a decent centre-half partner for Geebsie and a bit of strength in squad depth away from being an exceptional side.

The current side has a lot of potential and is a joy to watch at times but because of the relative standing of Scottish football now as opposed to 20 odd years ago, I don't think they quite measure up to that side.

in 1995 we lost as few games as Rangers (7) all season, and they were in the middle of nine in a row.

Mibbes Aye
22-02-2018, 06:15 PM
in 1995 we lost as few games as Rangers (7) all season, and they were in the middle of nine in a row.

And conceded a similar amount of goals. We just didn't convert our draws into wins - at the turn of the year we had only lost two league games, both away in Glasgow, but we had drawn a crazy amount of games.

Stevie Reid
22-02-2018, 06:20 PM
And conceded a similar amount of goals. We just didn't convert our draws into wins - at the turn of the year we had only lost two league games, both away in Glasgow, but we had drawn a crazy amount of games.

Yeah that definitely sounds familiar!

I've often wondered what might have happened (that season in particular) had we signed Tommy Coyne instead of Motherwell - he was amazing for them, they got him for a snip, and him and Keith Wright had an amazing partnership at Dundee. Would've meant Motherwell were much weaker and us much stronger.

Mibbes Aye
22-02-2018, 06:51 PM
Yeah that definitely sounds familiar!

I've often wondered what might have happened (that season in particular) had we signed Tommy Coyne instead of Motherwell - he was amazing for them, they got him for a snip, and him and Keith Wright had an amazing partnership at Dundee. Would've meant Motherwell were much weaker and us much stronger.

Tommy Coyne was a very good forward and had a ridiculously successful partnership with Keef at Dundee. I think one of their seasons together - maybe the one where Celtc did the double - they had one of the highest-scoring partnerships in Britain.

I don't know how close we may have got, or whether we were interested, in signing him. Certainly his fee was probably within our capacity. By that time we had Jackson and while the notion of Coyne and Wright up top, with DJ sitting deeper and playmaking makes me a bit weak at the knees, I don't think Alex Miller would have allowed it :greengrin

Nakedmanoncrack
22-02-2018, 09:46 PM

Was a very strange season, we only won 3 more games than the team who finished bottom, in 3rd place we were 16 points behind the champions, and 17 ahead of the bottom team.

Smartie
22-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Was a very strange season, we only won 3 more games than the team who finished bottom, in 3rd place we were 16 points behind the champions, and 17 ahead of the bottom team.

Sounds like a proper, good, competitive league.

Where did it all go wrong?

Stevie Reid
22-02-2018, 10:12 PM

Dundee Utd relegated and Aberdeen in the relegation play off - in a ten team league as well! Serious jeopardy involved.

Mibbes Aye
22-02-2018, 10:23 PM

We lost players and weren't able to replace them with the same quality.

O'Neill went, Weir, Wright and McAllister got older and went.

Perhaps most crucially, at the end of the season before relegation, when we managed to beat Airdrie in the play-offs, we lost Leighton and Jackson, the two best players in the team by a country mile.

As for the rest of the league, Motherwell got picked apart, losing players like Lambert, O'Donnell and Boyd over the space of a few years in the early-mid Nineties. Aberdeen were strong in the early Nineties but couldn't sustain a competitive edge.

In large part this was due to three things IMO - the impact of Bosman; the ridiculous and ultimately unsustainable sums being pumped into Rangers; and the turnaround job Fergus McCann did at Celtc. In combination that cemented their hegemony after fifteen-twenty years when there had been reasonable challenge, especially from the 'New Firm'.

Both Celtc and Rangers had their doldrums during that period, the Huns for a good few years in the early Eighties and Celtc a decade later.

The thought of Dundee United and Aberdeen winning league titles and getting close to, or winning, European silverware now seems a bit like when I was a child and people talked about Clyde and their successes in the Scottish Cup.

eastmainsmsh
22-02-2018, 10:50 PM
the cup winning team but i did like millers team and the bp.youth cup teams had some cracking players who never quite got a chance to the two sub rule

greenlad
23-02-2018, 02:15 AM

That was in some ways a crossover between old and new, the first season without terracing at ER, but you still had the old Cowshed and uncovered away end (and free cagoules!)

It was the first season of 3 pts for a win and I don't know if the stats back it up but in the early 90s it felt like there were more draws than now? Both with Hibs and Scottish football in general. Teams were far more cautious away from home and it maybe took a year or two of 3 pts for a win to change this. Also the backpass rule recently come in.

Yet that year Hibs came 3rd with 53 pts and it would take a disaster not to exceed that this year, even accepting we have 2 extra games now. And 3rd wasn't good enough for Europe, due to the anomoly of Raith Rovers winning the League Cup and then Celtic, who were nothing special, finishing behind Hibs, but winning their first trophy in 6 years to take the last European spot.

heretoday
23-02-2018, 08:45 AM
The one with Paco Luna in it.

Iain G
23-02-2018, 08:55 AM
Loved the 2001 team. Sauzee sways me but that defence was the best I've seen at ER. Fenwick and Smith were inspired alongside le god. Probably helped by having Matty Jack playing a superb holding job in midfield

And don't forget Lyndon Andrews stepping into the Matty Jack role in one specific game in 2000 :wink::greengrin

Stevie Reid
23-02-2018, 10:16 AM
That was in some ways a crossover between old and new, the first season without terracing at ER, but you still had the old Cowshed and uncovered away end (and free cagoules!)

It was the first season of 3 pts for a win and I don't know if the stats back it up but in the early 90s it felt like there were more draws than now? Both with Hibs and Scottish football in general. Teams were far more cautious away from home and it maybe took a year or two of 3 pts for a win to change this. Also the backpass rule recently come in.

Yet that year Hibs came 3rd with 53 pts and it would take a disaster not to exceed that this year, even accepting we have 2 extra games now. And 3rd wasn't good enough for Europe, due to the anomoly of Raith Rovers winning the League Cup and then Celtic, who were nothing special, finishing behind Hibs, but winning their first trophy in 6 years to take the last European spot.

Oh yeah the passback rule - it's funny looking back at games before that rule, it's a wonder any team ever scored a goal!

That season was mad on many fronts - Hearts finished 6th, but needed a last day win against Motherwell (who finished 2nd) to ensure they avoided the relegation playoff. They only managed three wins out of their last 15 games, and lost 6 of their last 8. The other win that they managed from those 8 was away at Parkhead. When we beat them 3-1 at ER in the second last game of the season, we thought they were going down.

We beat Hearts three times that season, I don't know if that has happened any other time in my lifetime.

greenlad
23-02-2018, 01:20 PM
The other win that they managed from those 8 was away at Parkhead..

away at Hampden - it was a different time!

Stevie Reid
23-02-2018, 03:46 PM
away at Hampden - it was a different time!

Totally forgot about that too!

Nakedmanoncrack
23-02-2018, 05:00 PM
Oh yeah the passback rule - it's funny looking back at games before that rule, it's a wonder any team ever scored a goal!

That season was mad on many fronts - Hearts finished 6th, but needed a last day win against Motherwell (who finished 2nd) to ensure they avoided the relegation playoff. They only managed three wins out of their last 15 games, and lost 6 of their last 8. The other win that they managed from those 8 was away at Parkhead. When we beat them 3-1 at ER in the second last game of the season, we thought they were going down.

We beat Hearts three times that season, I don't know if that has happened any other time in my lifetime.

The building of the North & South stands had commenced when we played that last derby, so a much reduced capacity, think Hearts must have had the South end of the main stand? I was in the centre stand & recall having 2 hearts fans sitting beside me, undercover until storming out after the 3rd.

lord bunberry
23-02-2018, 05:05 PM
the cup winning team but i did like millers team and the bp.youth cup teams had some cracking players who never quite got a chance to the two sub rule
That team under Miller in 91 were outstanding at times. If only Miller had continued to be less defensive the season after.
For me the current team will be looked at as the best since the tornadoes if they continue the progress they are making.

MacGruber
23-02-2018, 05:36 PM
That team under Miller in 91 were outstanding at times. If only Miller had continued to be less defensive the season after.
For me the current team will be looked at as the best since the tornadoes if they continue the progress they are making.

Not to put a dampner on it but I'll be taking in and enjoying this team for the remainder of the season. It looks more likely than not we will be without McGinn, Dylan & Allan next year. Even with a wedge from McGinn transfer that will be difficult act to follow. Maybe we can use some of the McGinn cash to tie down the other 2 though .

lord bunberry
23-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Not to put a dampner on it but I'll be taking in and enjoying this team for the remainder of the season. It looks more likely than not we will be without McGinn, Dylan & Allan next year. Even with a wedge from McGinn transfer that will be difficult act to follow. Maybe we can use some of the McGinn cash to tie down the other 2 though .
Hopefully we might keep Allan and Dylan. Jason wil want to come home as well :greengrin

allezsauzee
23-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Hopefully we might keep Allan and Dylan. Jason wil want to come home as well :greengrin

Jase would be a step backwards. Flo and Jamie are the best partnership I've seen since Starsky and Hutch :thumbsup:

Zazu62
23-02-2018, 06:30 PM
Mcleish team for me. I liked Tony Mowbray but too many hidings from hearts ( although a doped cheating one ) puts me off mogga. This Lennon team is going places for sure tho.

wookie70
23-02-2018, 07:08 PM
The team with Sauzee and Latapy was probably my favourite but I'd be fascinated to see what an Alex Miller team( I couldn't stand him) would be like against the current team. Lennon has assembled a very good 2018 team but Scottish football just isn't as good as it was, all imo of course.

Goram - better than the very decent Rocky
Willie Miller - As good as Gray in defense not as good going forward
Geebs - Similar to Daz but might give Daz the edge
McIntyre - Similar to Hanlon again Paul might just get the edge
Mitchell - I think I would have Mitchell just in front of Mr Hibs
Collins on the left - better than any of our current midfielders
Kane - I would say different but equal to Marv
McGinley - I would have him in front of Allen
Weir - Different player than Boyler but not much in it for me
Archibald - Better than our current strikers
Gareth Evans - McLaren may turn out to be better but from what I have seen so far not much in it, great runs and energy but lacking a finish.

The one thing we have now that we were crying our for under Miller is pace and lots of it. Gareth Evans was about it but he was very lightweight.

Smartie
23-02-2018, 07:24 PM
The team with Sauzee and Latapy was probably my favourite but I'd be fascinated to see what an Alex Miller team( I couldn't stand him) would be like against the current team. Lennon has assembled a very good 2018 team but Scottish football just isn't as good as it was, all imo of course.

Goram - better than the very decent Rocky
Willie Miller - As good as Gray in defense not as good going forward
Geebs - Similar to Daz but might give Daz the edge
McIntyre - Similar to Hanlon again Paul might just get the edge
Mitchell - I think I would have Mitchell just in front of Mr Hibs
Collins on the left - better than any of our current midfielders
Kane - I would say different but equal to Marv
McGinley - I would have him in front of Allen
Weir - Different player than Boyler but not much in it for me
Archibald - Better than our current strikers
Gareth Evans - McLaren may turn out to be better but from what I have seen so far not much in it, great runs and energy but lacking a finish.

The one thing we have now that we were crying our for under Miller is pace and lots of it. Gareth Evans was about it but he was very lightweight.

Jackson, Harper, McAllister and O'Neill could shift when they needed to.

wookie70
23-02-2018, 07:50 PM
Jackson, Harper, McAllister and O'Neill could shift when they needed to.

They could shift but they weren't in the squad that year. That team finished 6th in 88/89, I chose it because I really rated Goram, Collins, McGinley and Archibald and the team really never had anyone I disliked. I feel the same about our current team and that is quite unusual for me. There is normally a couple of players I don't take to usually because of work ethic or attitude. We have one less point at the moment than that team had at the end of the year, we have played 9 games fewer.

I'm not Lennon's greatest fan but I suspect he would have got far more out of that team than Mogodon did.

SideBurns
23-02-2018, 07:59 PM
They could shift but they weren't in the squad that year. That team finished 6th in 88/89, I chose it because I really rated Goram, Collins, McGinley and Archibald and the team really never had anyone I disliked. I feel the same about our current team and that is quite unusual for me. There is normally a couple of players I don't take to usually because of work ethic or attitude. We have one less point at the moment than that team had at the end of the year, we have played 9 games fewer.

I'm not Lennon's greatest fan but I suspect he would have got far more out of that team than Mogodon did.

Miller signed plenty good players but then seemed to lose confidence when he put them on the pitch. I couldnae stand him either, good coach apparently but hopeless manager. I also liked the team you referred to - not my favourite (I can't make my mind up about that) but someone like Lennon would've got more out of them, I'm certain.

Smartie
23-02-2018, 08:00 PM

Sorry - I totally misunderstood your post.

I didn't realise that the players you mentioned formed a team who played together. I thought it was some sort of Miller select that you'd put together.

wookie70
23-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Sorry - I totally misunderstood your post.

I didn't realise that the players you mentioned formed a team who played together. I thought it was some sort of Miller select that you'd put together.

A Miller select would be some team. He could certainly spot a player but as said he managed to get amazing attacking players to show little or no flair.

Stevie Reid
23-02-2018, 09:04 PM
The building of the North & South stands had commenced when we played that last derby, so a much reduced capacity, think Hearts must have had the South end of the main stand? I was in the centre stand & recall having 2 hearts fans sitting beside me, undercover until storming out after the 3rd.

Yep, only 7 thousand at the game. Hearts were one up at half time, but we scored three in about 10 mins midway through the second half.

Is It On....
24-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Tony Mowbrays team. They played some great stuff and we had 2 of our own upfront. Just a pity about the goalkeeping position 😪