PDA

View Full Version : Simon Brown

My_Wife_Camille
20-02-2018, 11:36 PM
Apart from the obvious blunder against Hearts, what are peoples memories of him.

I always thought he was solid if unspectacular and I'd probably go as far to say that he was a little under appreciated. He did well for us as a virtual ever present the season we came 3rd under Mowbray and had very little in the way of out and out blunders. The one against Hearts and then in his last game against Rangers are all that spring to mind.

Don't get me wrong, he was far from great but I'm always a bit surprised to see him included with the likes of Oxley, Malkowski, Makalambay etc

AugustaHibs
20-02-2018, 11:38 PM
Always remember it being a pain having two S. Browns!

Sauzee16
20-02-2018, 11:49 PM
Saved a complete peach in the 3-0 win at Ibrox. Doesn't get on with the Dalgleish's a million times better than Zubi about as lower league England as Oxley.

Ringothedog
21-02-2018, 12:11 AM
Apart from the obvious blunder against Hearts, what are peoples memories of him.

I always thought he was solid if unspectacular and I'd probably go as far to say that he was a little under appreciated. He did well for us as a virtual ever present the season we came 3rd under Mowbray and had very little in the way of out and out blunders. The one against Hearts and one in his last game against Rangers are all that spring to mind.

Don't get me wrong, he was far from great but I'm always a bit surprised to see him included with the likes of Oxley, Malkowski, Makalambay etc

He was an average goalkeeper no more no less

BS44
21-02-2018, 12:20 AM

I always thought he was solid if unspectacular and I'd probably go as far to say that he was a little under appreciated. He did well for us as a virtual ever present the season we came 3rd under Mowbray and had very little in the way of out and out blunders. The one against Hearts and one in his last game against Rangers are all that spring to mind.

Wasn't it Brown who had a Hearts player stand behind him and wait on Brown putting the ball on the ground before going to kick it? Hearts rat nipped in took the ball and Brown brought him down, it was a definite penalty but the ref got it right and never gave it. The score was 2 2 and it was at Easter Road, possibly only a few weeks after we had beat them to 2 1 in Gorgie, the game when he gave them a goal start

Dashing Bob S
21-02-2018, 12:31 AM
Clown was the worst goalkeeper I’ve seen at Easter Road. His battle with Zibbi for that no1 shirt was Piers Morgan vs Jeremy Clarkson. I recall Hibs v Huns at ER when he was so far off his line and out of position, Charlie Adam had an easy lob from a free kick into an empty net. The stadium was in shock at his incompetence. When the same thing happened later on in the game, everybody just laughed.

There was always the Hearts game where he threw the ball into his own net.

Please - don’t demean yourself with all this ‘safe pair of hands’ or ‘wasn’t all that bad’ revisionism.

Clown was utter garbage.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 12:48 AM
Clown was the worst goalkeeper I’ve seen at Easter Road. His battle with Zibbi for that no1 shirt was Piers Morgan vs Jeremy Clarkson. I recall Hibs v Huns at ER when he was so far off his line and out of position, Charlie Adam had an easy lob from a free kick into an empty net. The stadium was in shock at his incompetence. When the same thing happened later on in the game, everybody just laughed.

Please - don’t demean yourself with all this ‘safe pair of hands’ or ‘wasn’t all that bad’ revisionism.

Clown was utter garbage.
Fair points but the two games you've mentioned are the ones I mentioned in the OP. They are the only ones I can think of and the only two that are ever mentioned which is surprising when so many people, such as yourself, label him as the worst you've ever seen.

Those games were also two years apart, you'd think someone who was the worst that people had seen would have come up with a few more clangers in that space of time.

Malkowski, Oxley and Makalambay certainly all did

Baader
21-02-2018, 12:57 AM
Bad. But saved by that idiot Zibi. One of a very select few of players to wear the shirt I've actively disliked as he gave up on that semi final.

Don't even like to think about these guys. We had a bad run of keepers until Ben Williams. His problem was most of the 10 in front of him by that time were crap.

scotiaf
21-02-2018, 01:50 AM
He was terrible and worse than Zibi, that header against lee miller I think.

HoboHarry
21-02-2018, 01:55 AM

Lol. No he wasn't.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 01:56 AM
Still only the two games mentioned in the OP.

California-Hibs
21-02-2018, 02:17 AM

Oh dear. No, no he wasn’t. He was bad, but not Zibi level bad.

Dashing Bob S
21-02-2018, 02:54 AM

The big games are the most memorable but the others I recall as being characterized by nervy, poor performances rather than rock steady ones. I recall another nightmare against Dumbarton where Clown sold the game, dropping one ball, letting another leak through his ‘guard’ and reducing the defense and support to a suffering bag of nerves.,

Pretty Boy
21-02-2018, 05:54 AM
My memory of him is the 'helicopter Sunday' game at ER. We needed a nice solid start. He proceeded to hesitate and let a long ball bounce, totally misjudge it and it bounced right over his head and Nacho Novo somehow hit the post with an empty net. He was probably the most nervous, awkward looking professional goalkeeper I have ever seen and I'd agree with others that technically he was worse than Zibi. I also remember a game v Kilmarnock in which he went for a pretty tame free kick with his 'wrong' hand and done nothing except help it into the net. The belpw paragraph from a Brentford fan site sums him up:

Simon Brown had started out at Spurs and had several years as first choice at Colchester United before moving to Scotland where he played for Hibernian. He was the second goalkeeper to join the Bees from the Edinburgh club but he was never the keeper that Oli Gottskalksson had been and his stay was undistinguished. He rarely looked the part, losing his place to loanee Ben Hamer before being offloaded on loan to Darlington.

When you are being compared unfavourably to Gottskalkson it's probably time to give it up.

Ryan69
21-02-2018, 06:36 AM

Oxley didnt make that many blunders either...doesnt mean he was any good.

Browns distribution was rubbish,shot stopping was rubbish,decision making was rubbish.

Like a previous poster stated...lower English league at best.

JimBHibees
21-02-2018, 07:15 AM

Clown was utter garbage.

Absolutely. Think the second Adam goal in that game went right through his hands appalling.

Danderhall Hibs
21-02-2018, 07:16 AM

I’m always surprised he’s bracketed with Malkowski as well - Brown was a decent keeper who made a couple of mistakes.

JimBHibees
21-02-2018, 07:19 AM
Bad. But saved by that idiot Zibi. One of a very select few of players to wear the shirt I've actively disliked as he gave up on that semi final.

Don't even like to think about these guys. We had a bad run of keepers until Ben Williams. His problem was most of the 10 in front of him by that time were crap.

Unfortunately with Zibi it wasnt just the semi final. He had a catalogue of shockers all pretty much against Hearts. Pretty sure there was a monthly direct debit to him from Lithuania. The worst was the game we were 2 up and absolutely battering them, he then came for a cross on the edge of the box and made it 2 1 then to fumble another in the second half for a hugely unlikely draw.

SChibs
21-02-2018, 07:21 AM
Unfortunately with Zibi it wasnt just the semi final. He had a catalogue of shockers all pretty much against Hearts. Pretty sure there was a monthly direct debit to him from Lithuania. The worst was the game we were 2 up and absolutely battering them, he then came for a cross on the edge of the box and made it 2 1 then to fumble another in the second half for a hugely unlikely draw.

I'm sure we won that game 2-1. Benji scored the winner

JimBHibees
21-02-2018, 07:26 AM
I'm sure we won that game 2-1. Benji scored the winner

Different game this was the one Zemmama scored early doors then we scored another soon after Killen?? and were battering them. Zibi then missed a cross he should never have come for and fumbled in a second, same game as Gordon saved from Jones header couple of minutes left.

In the Benji game of course Zibi dropped another clanger for their equaliser.

Pretty Boy
21-02-2018, 07:35 AM
The best assessment of Zibi and Browns Hibs careers is that John Collins chose to throw a young, untested keeper under a bus rather than play either of those 2. He then signed another young, untested keeper (the biggest mistake of his tenure imo) rather than keep either of them.

sadtom
21-02-2018, 07:50 AM

Clown was utter garbage.

Correct.
P*ss poor keeper.
My laddies were the mascots that game against derhun. He ruined the day the useless f***er.

lyonhibs
21-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Terrible, terrible keeper.

Fat mess as well. Zibi was terrible, but at least he occasionally looked gutted about ****ing up. Brown seemed to think he was some sort of Teflon character.

A shyster of a player. As JC once said, an overweight, unprofessional player like him would have been laughed out the room in France. Were that it had been the same with us.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 08:07 AM
Remember then well, absolute shockers as you say but feel that if they weren’t against Hearts they probably wouldn’t have been highlighted as much.

Oxley made identical errors against Dumbarton and Rangers but was supposedly a solid keeper who didn’t make obvious mistakes.

3pm
21-02-2018, 08:09 AM
Wasn't it Brown who had a Hearts player stand behind him and wait on Brown putting the ball on the ground before going to kick it? Hearts rat nipped in took the ball and Brown brought him down, it was a definite penalty but the ref got it right and never gave it. The score was 2 2 and it was at Easter Road, possibly only a few weeks after we had beat them to 2 1 in Gorgie, the game when he gave them a goal start

Lee Miller, Billy.

calumhibee1
21-02-2018, 08:12 AM
Mark Oxley was nowhere near as bad as Simon Brown.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 08:15 AM
My memory of him is the 'helicopter Sunday' game at ER. We needed a nice solid start. He proceeded to hesitate and let a long ball bounce, totally misjudge it and it bounced right over his head and Nacho Novo somehow hit the post with an empty net. He was probably the most nervous, awkward looking professional goalkeeper I have ever seen and I'd agree with others that technically he was worse than Zibi. I also remember a game v Kilmarnock in which he went for a pretty tame free kick with his 'wrong' hand and done nothing except help it into the net.

He didn’t exactly cover himself in glory for the Killie one but remember it did take a huge deflection off the wall.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 08:17 AM
Mark Oxley was nowhere near as bad as Simon Brown.
He made costly mistakes far more regularly than Brown against much lower quality opposition.

The goalie
21-02-2018, 08:24 AM
He made costly mistakes far more regularly than Brown against much lower quality opposition.

Since the glory days of Rough, goram and Leighton Hibs have had a number of Fair to complete mince goalies.
We have failed to bring any through ourselves in that time and relied on dross coming in from other glubs.

The current keeper is prob the best in a while but by no means a top quality goalie and has his moments of madness.
I was looking forward to seeing Bain in goals for us as i rate him but it was not to be.

We can look back on the last 30 odd uears and we have produced good young players in all positions but never had a goalie we grew ourselves that had anything more than a season in goal and never went on to a higher level, I wonder why that is as other clubs have managed it.

IGRIGI
21-02-2018, 08:27 AM
One good save in the Cup match at Ibrox and apart from that he spent the rest of his time competing with Tony Caig for gold in the immobility championship.

Craig_HFC
21-02-2018, 08:30 AM
My main memory of him is meeting him in the Club shop and his hands being ****ing huge.

How he couldn't make a save with those shovels will always be a mystery.

Treadstone
21-02-2018, 08:45 AM
Left the club and gave the tabloids the negative spill on Collins. An absolute coward.

WellingtonHibby
21-02-2018, 08:47 AM
Correct.
P*ss poor keeper.
My laddies were the mascots that game against derhun. He ruined the day the useless f***er.

I was in line with him for those goals and everyone could see Exactly What Was Going To Happen. That was dreadful Goalkeeping

Alex Trager
21-02-2018, 08:55 AM
I feel that whilst oxley wasn’t great he was nowhere near as bad as Zibi and Brown.

Thecat23
21-02-2018, 08:59 AM

He was absolutely stinking, and a lot worse than Zibi and Maka. Nothing more to add that’s pretty much it.

JimBHibees
21-02-2018, 09:07 AM
I feel that whilst oxley wasn’t great he was nowhere near as bad as Zibi and Brown.

Totally agree actually thought he was reasonable and is obviously doing ok with Southend dont think either of the other two have played regularly since.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 09:07 AM
This seems to be the overriding opinion on here and fair enough, I appear to be in the minority.

I do find it strange when Oxley probably made more blunders than both Zibi and Brown did and also against far inferior opposition. Also interesting that in 30+ replies there hasn’t been any further cases of where Brown made any costly errors other than the two games I mentioned in the OP.

There’s been a couple of ‘heart in mouth’ moments that weren’t punished but that’s about it.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 09:11 AM
He was absolutely stinking, and a lot worse than Zibi and Maka. Nothing more to add that’s pretty much it.
What did he do that was so much worse than them? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think he was great but apart from a couple of isolated incidents around 2 years apart there doesn’t seem to be any further examples of any real errors he made

lord bunberry
21-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Oxley was a good young keeper learning his trade. Zibi and Brown were just shocking goalkeepers. Graeme Smith was probably worse than Brown and Zibi though.

scotiaf
21-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Oxley was no where near as bad as brown or Zibi. Still not sure how either of them were signed. But if I had to choose one, Brown was worse. Slow down to the ball, could not jump or kick. Makalambay was better than both but for a guy that height was not very good coming for crosses

The_Horde
21-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Oxley didnt make that many blunders either...doesnt mean he was any good.

Browns distribution was rubbish,shot stopping was rubbish,decision making was rubbish.

Like a previous poster stated...lower English league at best.

Yes he did, but that's for another thread apparently..

zlatan
21-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Left the club and gave the tabloids the negative spill on Collins. An absolute coward.

He was terrible but I'll defend him here as I'm sure he went to the evening news to angrily debunk that and wish the club and Collins all the best. Had a quick search through google but can't find the article.

Captain Trips
21-02-2018, 09:29 AM
Is there footage of that Hearts game when Brown made mistake?

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 09:33 AM
https://youtu.be/r8s34tEt-uw?t=4m56s

not great but it's here

Iain G
21-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Is that teh one where he basically spooned the ball into his own net?

The worst goalkeeper I have seen in all my years supporting Hibs, attitude was poor and he just wasn't any good, would have Zibi in goals every time ahead of him :agree:

jacomo
21-02-2018, 09:44 AM

Clown was utter garbage.

I’m with you.

A waster who should never have represented our club. Probably my least favourite Hibs player ever.

Stevie Reid
21-02-2018, 09:54 AM

Clown was utter garbage.

Absolutely spot on, Bob. Was terrible for us, made big mistakes in huge games - and then had the audacity to state that conditions on the warm weather training camp that was visited before the CIS Cup win, were "like a prison camp", because the players weren't allowed a bevy.

He simply can't **** off far enough.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 09:58 AM
Absolutely spot on, Bob. Was terrible for us, made big mistakes in huge games - and then had the audacity to state that conditions on the warm weather training camp that was visited before the CIS Cup win, were "like a prison camp", because the players weren't allowed a bevy.

He simply can't **** off far enough.
What were the big mistakes? Were there any apart from the two mentioned in the OP?

Hiber-nation
21-02-2018, 10:15 AM
What were the big mistakes? Were there any apart from the two mentioned in the OP?

I know you're at it as usual but the one against the huns with the Charlie Adam free kick was utterly ridiculous. It was due to extremely poor judgement, far far worse than an average Sunday league keeper, whereas most of Zibi and Oli's big mistakes were basically because they couldnae catch a cold and should never have been near ER.

Vault Boy
21-02-2018, 10:20 AM
When I was playing for a Sunday league team in Essex a few years back, I had a teammate come up to me at training telling me all about an ex Hibs player he had met who was working in a shop in Colchester. Supposedly it was SB, though I've got no verification, nor do I really care.

Just thought I'd lob that vital information out there.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 10:28 AM
I know you're at it as usual but the one against the huns with the Charlie Adam free kick was utterly ridiculous. It was due to extremely poor judgement, far far worse than an average Sunday league keeper, whereas most of Zibi and Oli's big mistakes were basically because they couldnae catch a cold and should never have been near ER.
In what way am I at it? Seriously?

I didnt think Brown was all that good but don’t think he was as bad as he’s painted out to be so I’ve asked people for instances where he’s made any real Zibi/Oxley level howlers. I got the ball rolling with the two I can remember and there hasn’t been any more so far. I’m thinking that making big mistakes in two games in around 60 games isn’t all that bad, especially when we finished 3rd in his only full season at the club.

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Was his first game the Kilmarnock game at Easter Road in Mowbrays first season?

If so, we battered them and lost 1-0 to a fat boy Boyd goal which was a decent shot but the keeper if my memory is right was him, and he had jelly for a wrist when it should have been pushed over the bar, he proceeded to weakly let it in.

Johnnyboy summed him up when he was commentating on a reserve game for Hibstv, he let in another shot from distance that he should have saved, and John uttered the words i will remember to my dying day.

Simon Brown should be taken out the back of the stand and shot. :faf:

IMO a poor keeper, that Oxley probably shades it as slightly less sheite.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 10:32 AM
Was his first game the Kilmarnock game at Easter Road in Mowbrays first season?

If so, we battered them and lost 1-0 to a fat boy Boyd goal which was a decent shot but the keeper if my memory is right was him, and he had jelly for a wrist when it should have been pushed over the bar, he proceeded to weakly let it in.

Johnnyboy summed him up when he was commentating on a reserve game for Hibstv, he let in another shot from distance that he should have saved, and John uttered the words i will remember to my dying day.

Simon Brown should be taken out the back of the stand and shot. :faf:

IMO a poor keeper, that Oxley probably shades it as slightly less sheite.
This is the one PB mentioned, around 1m into the clip. While he’s far from being totally blameless it’s only fair to point out the massive deflection it takes on the way

https://youtu.be/GJE8yh1E-Vw

.Sean.
21-02-2018, 10:38 AM
Did Charlie Adam not score 4 free kicks into him, 2 in 2 games, all at the same end and from the same position? Or am I making that up? It was definitely one game but for some reason I seem to think it happened twice.

Anyway, he was hopeless.

Edit - after googling he did indeed score 4 free kicks in a matter of months at Easter Road but the second game was into Andy McNeil.

GaryOsCheerios
21-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Weird how some managers seem to have a blind spot with keepers. Imagine we had a competent keeper in the Mowbray days.

Brown was awful, as was Zibi. The Ox wasn't a world beater but putting him in the same bracket as those two is doing him a disservice.

Thecat23
21-02-2018, 10:48 AM
What did he do that was so much worse than them? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think he was great but apart from a couple of isolated incidents around 2 years apart there doesn’t seem to be any further examples of any real errors he made

His positioning for free kicks was terrible. Letting the ball roll past and into the next because he thought it was going wide was another. His distribution was poor. That’s why he was punted and never really done well anywhere else. Zibi and Maka at least had a couple of stand out games. I can’t remember Brown have any?

Alex Trager
21-02-2018, 10:50 AM
This seems to be the overriding opinion on here and fair enough, I appear to be in the minority.

I do find it strange when Oxley probably made more blunders than both Zibi and Brown did and also against far inferior opposition. Also interesting that in 30+ replies there hasn’t been any further cases of where Brown made any costly errors other than the two games I mentioned in the OP.

There’s been a couple of ‘heart in mouth’ moments that weren’t punished but that’s about it.

I think I recall Oxley having issues with not commanding his box but other than that I can’t really think of anything?

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 10:52 AM
His positioning for free kicks was terrible. Letting the ball roll past and into the next because he thought it was going wide was another. His distribution was poor. That’s why he was punted and never really done well anywhere else. Zibi and Maka at least had a couple of stand out games. I can’t remember Brown have any?
No offence TC but you've only gone and given the same examples again!

wpj
21-02-2018, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=The goalie;5321926]Since the glory days of Rough, goram and Leighton Hibs have had a number of Fair to complete mince goalies.

We were spoiled for quality then. I would also give honourable mentions to Budgie and Conrad

21sMay
21-02-2018, 11:05 AM
Lee Miller, Billy.

Mark burchill it was mate

easty
21-02-2018, 11:10 AM

I didnt think Brown was all that good but don’t think he was as bad as he’s painted out to be so I’ve asked people for instances where he’s made any real Zibi/Oxley level howlers. I got the ball rolling with the two I can remember and there hasn’t been any more so far. I’m thinking that making big mistakes in two games in around 60 games isn’t all that bad, especially when we finished 3rd in his only full season at the club.

You don’t have to give multiple specific instances of someone making an absolute **** of it, to prove they were *****.

I couldn’t roll off examples of David Stephens being utterly humpty, but he definitely was.

Simon Brown was a ***** keeper. If you remember that differently from other people then good for you, but it doesn’t change the fact he was *****.

Oranje39
21-02-2018, 11:28 AM
Didn't rate Brown or Zibi but I loved Makalamby.

JimBHibees
21-02-2018, 11:41 AM

Your insistence in linking Zibi and Oxley seems a little odd.

The_Horde
21-02-2018, 11:46 AM

Brown had a good game at Ibrox in the cup?

The_Horde
21-02-2018, 11:49 AM
You don’t have to give multiple specific instances of someone making an absolute **** of it, to prove they were *****.

I couldn’t roll off examples of David Stephens being utterly humpty, but he definitely was.

Simon Brown was a ***** keeper. If you remember that differently from other people then good for you, but it doesn’t change the fact he was *****.

Don't think the OP is disputing the fact that Brown was *****. He was. I think he's highlighting his point from another thread that he's slated for mistakes against hearts mostly.

Whereas in his eyes, Oxley made far more mistakes on a lower scale and therefore folk don't recognise him as sheidt.

easty
21-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Don't think the OP is disputing the fact that Brown was *****. He was. I think he's highlighting his point from another thread that he's slated for mistakes against hearts mostly.

Whereas in his eyes, Oxley made far more mistakes on a lower scale and therefore folk don't recognise him as sheidt.

Oxley was a better keeper than Brown.

jacomo
21-02-2018, 11:51 AM

The big difference is that, mistakes or not, I have no doubt that the Ox was trying his best.

I have significant doubts that Simon Brown was. For an experienced pro, he seemed not to give a s***.

That, to me, is unforgivable.

jacomo
21-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Didn't rate Brown or Zibi but I loved Makalamby.

:aok:

The_Horde
21-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Oxley was a better keeper than Brown.

That's missing his point still I don't think anyone's debating that.

BS44
21-02-2018, 11:58 AM

Think it was Miller, mate.

Brown and at least one other defender were both to blame for that lot's first goal in that 2 2 game.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Your insistence in linking Zibi and Oxley seems a little odd.
Don’t see how. Both made a string of errors that resulted in goals against. The only difference is one did so against Hearts while the other did so against championship sides

scotiaf
21-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Don’t see how. Both made a string of errors that resulted in goals against. The only difference is one did so against Hearts while the other did so against championship sides

You can ask all day for actual when/how, but he was just *****

Boyle89
21-02-2018, 12:12 PM
Did Charlie Adam not score 4 free kicks into him, 2 in 2 games, all at the same end and from the same position? Or am I making that up? It was definitely one game but for some reason I seem to think it happened twice.

Anyway, he was hopeless.

Edit - after googling he did indeed score 4 free kicks in a matter of months at Easter Road but the second game was into Andy McNeil.
I'm sure it was 2 into brown inside 2 weeks both low down to the near post. I remember having seen the 1st one on telly I was screaming at brown not to leave a massive gap but he did😣.

Captain Trips
21-02-2018, 12:19 PM
All this shows how good Rocky is and what a brilliant deal we made for him.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 12:22 PM
You can ask all day for actual when/how, but he was just *****
Haha that’s that then

Thecat23
21-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Brown had a good game at Ibrox in the cup?

Did he have much to do, not being funny just can’t mind. He would have had some games he’s done well I’ve no doubt about that. But he was truly one of the worst keepers I’ve ever seen at any level of football.

proud_and_green
21-02-2018, 01:08 PM
I will never forget Brown's performance against Rangers in March 2007 at ER. Two identical free kicks taken by Charlie Adam both went in exactly the same place. I was lined up ideally to see it and from the point where Brown settled down for the first I could see the gap, so could Adam. At the second, I mentioned to my daughter that he was making the same mistake again - and sure enough Adam saw it too. Could not believe that firstly, Brown had set up the defence so badly then secondly and critically had made the same mistake a second time. Result 2-0 defeat in a game where I thought we should have won on the rest of our play, but the second goal killed the team's morale.

Dreadful keeper!

hfc rd
21-02-2018, 01:24 PM
He was an awful goalkeeper. Really poor. Don't know what the OP saw in him?

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 01:58 PM
I will never forget Brown's performance against Rangers in March 2007 at ER. Two identical free kicks taken by Charlie Adam both went in exactly the same place. I was lined up ideally to see it and from the point where Brown settled down for the first I could see the gap, so could Adam. At the second, I mentioned to my daughter that he was making the same mistake again - and sure enough Adam saw it too. Could not believe that firstly, Brown had set up the defence so badly then secondly and critically had made the same mistake a second time. Result 2-0 defeat in a game where I thought we should have won on the rest of our play, but the second goal killed the team's morale.

Dreadful keeper!
Do you remember any others that weren’t mentioned in the OP?

HoboHarry
21-02-2018, 02:20 PM
I disagree with a fair bit of what you post mate but in fairness to you, if this was a boxing match, you would be winning by a mile and on the point of a TKO........ :greengrin

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 02:35 PM
I disagree with a fair bit of what you post mate but in fairness to you, if this was a boxing match, you would be winning by a mile and on the point of a TKO........ :greengrin
Haha, to be fair about 90% of what I post is probably inkeeping with the majority on here, it’s just less noticeable when everybody is in agreement... I think:cb

ekhibee
21-02-2018, 04:07 PM

Anyway, he was hopeless.

I remember the Brown and McNeill ones, they were both from a pretty well identical position. Absolutley shocking positioning by both of them, particularly McNeil who surely must have seen what Adam did to Brown at his near post. For a long time I thought Brown was probably the worst keeper we'd ever had in my lifetime, on a par or maybe even worse than Zibi or Gottskalsson- then along came Graeme Smith.

hibsbollah
21-02-2018, 04:12 PM
The two best saves I've ever seen in the flesh are from Craig Gordon against Rob Jones at ER and Simon Brown against Alex Rae(?) at Ibrox. I liked neither keeper, but I had a perfect view of each, simply miraculous.

hibsbollah
21-02-2018, 04:14 PM
Did he have much to do, not being funny just can’t mind. He would have had some games he’s done well I’ve no doubt about that. But he was truly one of the worst keepers I’ve ever seen at any level of football.

We got battered in that first half, I never saw the win coming. But the defence bent and didn't break, Brown kept us level, and Sproule was different class and changed the game.

eastmainsmsh
21-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Ally Brown was a better keeper than him

Pretty Boy
21-02-2018, 04:50 PM
The two best saves I've ever seen in the flesh are from Craig Gordon against Rob Jones at ER and Simon Brown against Alex Rae(?) at Ibrox. I liked neither keeper, but I had a perfect view of each, simply miraculous.

Bob Malcolm. It was a fantastic save.

Thecat23
21-02-2018, 04:59 PM

That Gordon save is the best save I’ve seen ay ER. Rocky’s save where he dived on the line and got it away is up there too with it.

hibsbollah
21-02-2018, 05:23 PM
Bob Malcolm. It was a fantastic save.

Thanks. I knew it was a hun neanderthal of one sort :greengrin

Iain G
21-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Ally Brown was a better keeper than him

So were Maw and Paw Broon :greengrin:wink:

shetlandhibee
21-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Since the glory days of Rough, goram and Leighton Hibs have had a number of Fair to complete mince goalies.
We have failed to bring any through ourselves in that time and relied on dross coming in from other glubs.

The current keeper is prob the best in a while but by no means a top quality goalie and has his moments of madness.
I was looking forward to seeing Bain in goals for us as i rate him but it was not to be.

We can look back on the last 30 odd uears and we have produced good young players in all positions but never had a goalie we grew ourselves that had anything more than a season in goal and never went on to a higher level, I wonder why that is as other clubs have managed it.
BY NO MEANS A TOP QUALITY GOALIE? mmmh have to disagree with that IMO best keeper weve had for a long long while ,,one of the best in league, right up there with gordon( whos had as much moments of madness this season as marciano!)would be happy if we sighn bain in the summer as well for strong competition, but thinking back to previous seasons ime happy whos between the sticks just now:agree:

Sir David Gray
21-02-2018, 05:54 PM

Definitely Lee Miller.

Dashing Bob S
21-02-2018, 06:42 PM
The premise of this thread seems to be that we can only remember Clown spilling a whole tray of drinks over a group of young women on the dancefloor of a George Street club and causing chaos a couple of times. Therefore the occasions when he failed to do this he must have uniformly delivered the tray of drinks satisfactorily.

No. There were numerous spillages at the bar, whilst loading the tray and even not bothering to get a round in - occurances that are too mundane to recall, just as his merely adequate and even semi competent displays are. However, this thread shows that such spillages are etched into the consciousness of our support and form the identikit of a piss poor keeper.

Thecat23
21-02-2018, 06:51 PM
The premise of this thread seems to be that we can only remember Clown spilling a whole tray of drinks over a group of young women on the dancefloor of a George Street club and causing chaos a couple of times. Therefore the occasions when he failed to do this he must have uniformly delivered the tray of drinks satisfactorily.

No. There were numerous spillages at the bar, whilst loading the tray and even not bothering to get a round in - occurances that are too mundane to recall, just as his merely adequate and even semi competent displays are. However, this thread shows that such spillages are etched into the consciousness of our support and form the identikit of a piss poor keeper.

Bang on. You will always remember the howlers against the bigger sides, the ones against Inverness or Motherwell will be long forgotten, the guy was awful beyond belief.

proud_and_green
21-02-2018, 06:52 PM

To be fair once I read your post three times i realised that was the same game, you explained it so well!

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 06:57 PM

Decent analogy but the reality is that after near 100 replies now we haven’t managed to come up with anything more than the couple that were mentioned in the OP.

If he really was up there as the worst that we have ever had, as a few people have alluded to, I’d expect to see even a slight shred of further evidence considering he played near 70 games for the club.

Its especially prominent when when compared to the Oxley thread where no less than 8 clear howlers have been given as specific examples yet he is still somehow considered a solid keeper by most on here.

It’s an interesting insight into the mind of a football fan if nothing else. It suggests to me that if Brown and Zibi has made the exact same mistakes against anybody other than Hearts then oppnion of them would be very different.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 07:03 PM
Bang on. You will always remember the howlers against the bigger sides, the ones against Inverness or Motherwell will be long forgotten, the guy was awful beyond belief.
I remember Zibi having a shocker at Inverness. Don’t remember Brown though.

lyonhibs
21-02-2018, 08:43 PM
I remember Zibi having a shocker at Inverness. Don’t remember Brown though.

I've happily been able to consign most (not all) of their collective howlers to some black and festering corner of my brain where they remain, never to be accessed again.

What got to me about Brown was that he didn't seem to give a **** and that I can't put up with.

On a separate note, everyone seems to be able to remember at least one decent game or quality save for both these miscreants.

Can anyone remember Tony Caig doing likewise???

GlesgaeHibby
21-02-2018, 08:56 PM

Dreadful keeper!

That still haunts me. I can remember sitting in the old east and watching Charlie Adam set the ball up, Brown leaving a massive gap and standing on his 6 yard line. I was about blowing a gasket trying to shout at the clown, as it was so obvious what was coming next. Utter clown of a goalie.

Dashing Bob S
21-02-2018, 08:56 PM
Decent analogy but the reality is that after near 100 replies now we haven’t managed to come up with anything more than the couple that were mentioned in the OP.

If he really was up there as the worst that we have ever had, as a few people have alluded to, I’d expect to see even a slight shred of further evidence considering he played near 70 games for the club.

Its especially prominent when when compared to the Oxley thread where no less than 8 clear howlers have been given as specific examples yet he is still somehow considered a solid keeper by most on here.

It’s an interesting insight into the mind of a football fan if nothing else. It suggests to me that if Brown and Zibi has made the exact same mistakes against anybody other than Hearts then oppnion of them would be very different.

Handling pressure in bigger games is part and parcel of being a decent keeper. Slipping up in bread and butter games people can ride with, but in high stakes games a nervy keeper can destroy a team. Both Clown and Zibbi excelled at that. But I recall Brown selling a game - for some reason Dumbarton springs to mind - I think it was, with an atrociously butterfingered spill. Not to labour the point but I'm still waiting for Clown (or Zibbi's) greatest saves moments.

Makalambay wasn't great, but nowhere near Clownzibbi for uninspiring both team and support.

Seveno
21-02-2018, 09:00 PM

Clown was utter garbage.

One of a string of terrible goalkeepers we had. Good summation of that particular clown.

Stevie Reid
21-02-2018, 10:58 PM

There are three shockers across two games in your OP. All worse than anything Oxley did IMO, and in much bigger games. As others have said, these stay with you.

You also seem to be taking the fact that people can't remember other specific games from a period stretching from 11 - 14 years ago as confirmation that he must have otherwise been solid, when the vast majority of posters remember him differently (and he was binned by two managers).

I'd be surprised if you could remember all of the soft goals Oxley conceded that have been mentioned on this thread, in 14 years time. Your talking very recent history versus well over a decade ago.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 11:31 PM
There are three shockers across two games in your OP. All worse than anything Oxley did IMO, and in much bigger games. As others have said, these stay with you.

You also seem to be taking the fact that people can't remember other specific games from a period stretching from 11 - 14 years ago as confirmation that he must have otherwise been solid, when the vast majority of posters remember him differently (and he was binned by two managers).

I'd be surprised if you could remember all of the soft goals Oxley conceded that have been mentioned on this thread, in 14 years time. Your talking very recent history versus well over a decade ago.
Fair argument but I’ll point out that I’m not just asking one person. The collective minds of Hibs.net haven’t managed to come up with any others in over 100 replies. Maybe it’s because they’ve been forgotten about but maybe they didn’t happen and people perceptions have been altered slightly over time. I’m leaning towards the latter. Mind you, on the Oxley thread there are a number of people claiming they can’t remember Oxley having any shockers and that was just 2-3 years ago so you really can’t tell.

We live in an age where there are thousands of hours of old footage available online and we have websites that can tell you anything about any game in history. Surely at least one person on here would be able to point me in the direction of another example if it had indeed happened.

I’ll also disagree that Browns mistakes were worse than Oxleys. The misjudgment of the ball going wide against Hearts is comparable to Oxley misjudging the flight of the ball againt Rangers when he allowed the cross to hit the crossbar for Holt to tap in. The free kick against Rangers when Brown spilled the ball into the net through his legs was identical to Oxleys blunder away to Allo when he did the very same thing. I’d argue that a game against Rangers in the Championship was no less of a big game than it was in the SPL and the Alloa game was in the Scottish Cup - another huge game.

The biggest misconception on this this thread though is the notion that I thought he was good. This isn’t true. I thought he was steady at best, probably closer to Mark Brown than Malkowski.

JimBHibees
22-02-2018, 07:54 AM

Brilliant analogy.

KWJ
22-02-2018, 09:56 AM

Clown was utter garbage.

This. He was just pretty gash.

KWJ
22-02-2018, 10:02 AM
Fair argument but I’ll point out that I’m not just asking one person. The collective minds of Hibs.net haven’t managed to come up with any others in over 100 replies. Maybe it’s because they’ve been forgotten about but maybe they didn’t happen and people perceptions have been altered slightly over time. I’m leaning towards the latter. Mind you, on the Oxley thread there are a number of people claiming they can’t remember Oxley having any shockers and that was just 2-3 years ago so you really can’t tell.

We live in an age where there are thousands of hours of old footage available online and we have websites that can tell you anything about any game in history. Surely at least one person on here would be able to point me in the direction of another example if it had indeed happened.

I’ll also disagree that Browns mistakes were worse than Oxleys. The misjudgment of the ball going wide against Hearts is comparable to Oxley misjudging the flight of the ball againt Rangers when he allowed the cross to hit the crossbar for Holt to tap in. The free kick against Rangers when Brown spilled the ball into the net through his legs was identical to Oxleys blunder away to Allo when he did the very same thing. I’d argue that a game against Rangers in the Championship was no less of a big game than it was in the SPL and the Alloa game was in the Scottish Cup - another huge game.

The biggest misconception on this this thread though is the notion that I thought he was good. This isn’t true. I thought he was steady at best, probably closer to Mark Brown than Malkowski.

I forgot we even had Mark Brown. Another disappointment in a Hibs top.

Here's an old thread on the bounce where the best thing said about Simon Brown is he's not as utterly woeful as Zibi Malkowski.

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/showthread.php?43935-Simon-Brown-wont-play-for-Hibs-again

Hope it's okay to link to the rivals!

Speedy
22-02-2018, 10:17 AM

It's hardly surprising that people forgot the lower profile mistakes from over 10 years ago in an era when he had so many goalkeeping mistakes.

It also says a lot that Brown couldn't hold down a place given the quality of the alternatives.

Stevie Reid
22-02-2018, 11:41 AM

I had actually genuinely forgotten about Oxley's one v Alloa being so bad, so fair point re: that one. I would disagree re: Brown's misjudgement v Hearts vs Oxley's v Rangers though. Oxley's was definitely bad, but he at least knew he had to take action, albeit he certainly took the wrong one. Brown was so confident in his judgement that rather than simply palm down an innocuous header, he thought that he would let it drift past the post - his judgement was so bad that the ball didn't even hit the post before going in. Shocking. I remember being in the stand at Tynie that night, right behind it - it was always on target.

Minus the big errors, S Brown and Malkowski occupy a similar space to M Brown, Graeme Smith and Makalamby in that I always felt that back four looked nervy behind them - any ball into the space between the centre halfs (that got them turned) and the goalkeeper seemed to cause minor panic, and long balls into the box from any area left me with my heart in my mouth. None of them seemed to be that comfortable with the ball at their feet either. It was so easy for teams to put us under pressure as a result of all that.

Oxley wasn't great, but I didn't feel that panic with him (and I don't believe that the defence did), as much as he could be prone to the handling errors that have been outlined - his ability with the ball at his feet, and the fact that he could kick comfortably with both, was a big plus, and I think suited our game. I would put him in the same bracket as Graham Stack, and that bracket is higher than all the keepers listed above.

However, as you have said, this thread has shown how subjective fans' experiences of players is - these are mine, and you clearly feel differently.

MrRobot
22-02-2018, 01:32 PM
One good save in the Cup match at Ibrox and apart from that he spent the rest of his time competing with Tony Caig for gold in the immobility championship.

Tony Caig :grr::grr::grr:

Brown made a remarkable save from Bob Macolm once in one of our 3-0 wins and other than that was mostly terrible from my memory. I longed for the day we replaced him (pity it was Zibi that replaced him)

I remember him giving the ball to Lee Miller and then chopping him down for what should have been a penalty & red card.

The Modfather
22-02-2018, 01:46 PM
I've happily been able to consign most (not all) of their collective howlers to some black and festering corner of my brain where they remain, never to be accessed again.

What got to me about Brown was that he didn't seem to give a **** and that I can't put up with.

On a separate note, everyone seems to be able to remember at least one decent game or quality save for both these miscreants.

Can anyone remember Tony Caig doing likewise???

Tony Caig! My lasting memory of him is Nick Colgan getting sent off at home to St Mirren or Killie or some such. Free kick edge of the box with Craig now on and he looked to defy gravity how slow he failed to get down to it.

Sure he ended up on the bench for Newcastle in the champions league the next season when they had an injury crisis in goals.

Sauzee16
22-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Tony Caig :grr::grr::grr:

Brown made a remarkable save from Bob Macolm once in one of our 3-0 wins and other than that was mostly terrible from my memory. I longed for the day we replaced him (pity it was Zibi that replaced him)

I remember him giving the ball to Lee Miller and then chopping him down for what should have been a penalty & red card.

Tony Caig against Dunfermline was the worst display of goalkeeping over the years I've seen and there's been plenty.

stantonhibby
22-02-2018, 06:00 PM
Tony Caig against Dunfermline was the worst display of goalkeeping over the years I've seen and there's been plenty.

Absolutely....1-4 i think with Brewster & Crawford up front for Pars.

Sauzee16
22-02-2018, 08:04 PM
Absolutely....1-4 i think with Brewster & Crawford up front for Pars.

Yep that gameutter nightmares about that match for years after.

lyonhibs
22-02-2018, 08:14 PM

I didn't mention that performance as I'm sure most who were there still have nightmares about it.

A foggy midweek wasn't it? He literally dropped the ball at Crawford's feet 3 yards out for one of their goals.

ian cruise
22-02-2018, 08:19 PM
That Gordon save is the best save I’ve seen ay ER. Rocky’s save where he dived on the line and got it away is up there too with it.

I've said it before, that save is the best I've seen in a Hibs game. Unfortunately it was against us! How that header didn't go in, or should I say how he got to that, I'll never know. I was already in full celebration mode then that happened.

ian cruise
22-02-2018, 08:20 PM

Tony Caig is definitely sitting at home with a Horlicks and Hibs.net wondering how he got brought in to this. After 3 pages he thought he was safe....

Thecat23
22-02-2018, 08:21 PM
I've said it before, that save is the best I've seen in a Hibs game. Unfortunately it was against us! How that header didn't go in, or should I say how he got to that, I'll never know. I was already in full celebration mode then that happened.

I was the same, I was already celebrating and couldn’t believe it when his stretched arm kept it out. Was incredible really was!

Sauzee16
22-02-2018, 08:26 PM
I didn't mention that performance as I'm sure most who were there still have nightmares about it.

A foggy midweek wasn't it? He literally dropped the ball at Crawford's feet 3 yards out for one of their goals.

Yeah that's spot on. They had a very good crowd through and it was also the realisation that we where actually pap from where we came from and Dunfermline where a better side. I'm sure we had some Canadian boy Franks ? Who came in to challenge plus I loved Colgan.

judas
22-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Terrible keeper.

Fat, slow, unfit, lazy and technically incompetent.

Let's not forget it.

Stevie Reid
22-02-2018, 09:37 PM

Probably mentioned before but it was in a game where two of Zibbi's blunders led to us throwing away an early two goal lead!

Squealing pig
23-02-2018, 05:05 PM
Charlie adam scoring same free kick twice is my memory

My_Wife_Camille
23-02-2018, 05:23 PM
Charlie adam scoring same free kick twice is my memory
Cheers, I knew I’d missed one

CL0762
23-02-2018, 06:53 PM
Saved a complete peach in the 3-0 win at Ibrox. Doesn't get on with the Dalgleish's a million times better than Zubi about as lower league England as Oxley.

Bob Malcolm rifled it, Brown got the faintest of touches to take it over the bar IIRC.