PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: FRANCK SAUZEE'S HIBERNIAN CAREER

RSS Bot
20-02-2018, 10:40 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/8444)

pacorosssco
20-02-2018, 10:48 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/8444)

Such a shame he hasnt come back but doesnt impact what he did when here. A friend had dealings with Marseille and they said he is also a stranger there and rarely seen.

JimBHibees
20-02-2018, 10:54 AM
Such a shame he hasnt come back but doesnt impact what he did when here. A friend had dealings with Marseille and they said he is also a stranger there and rarely seen.

Probably just a very private person.

hibsbollah
20-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Probably just a very private person.

:agree:
He likes his fishing, lives near where he grew up and likes the quiet life. He has absolutely no obligation to come back to Scotland for some sort of staged reception, it doesn't affect my hero worship of the man one bit.

Carheenlea
20-02-2018, 11:07 AM
He likes his fishing, lives near where he grew up and likes the quiet life. He has absolutely no obligation to come back to Scotland for some sort of staged reception, it doesn't affect my hero worship of the man one bit.

I remember him receiving a presentation on the pitch up at Tannadice, from who I can't remember. Might even have been Hibs.net? Normally these things are a handshake, glance at the gift then pose for picture, but I don't think I've seen anyone genuinely so pleased to receive a presentation, and in Franck's case it was simply some fly fishing sundries.

Pretty Boy
20-02-2018, 11:12 AM
For some players football is just a job. I don't doubt Franck had genuine affection for us when here and he was visibly upset when he was sacked. However playing and coaching football isn't his job anymore and he may just want to enjoy his retirement without revisitng a period that probably carries a bit of emotion as it brought the curtain down on that chapter in his life.

I'd love him to come back to ER but if he doesn't then so be it. I still wish him nothing but the best and he's still the best player I've seen play for us.

pacorosssco
20-02-2018, 11:31 AM
it doesn't affect my hero worship of the man one bit.

Nor mine hes clearly now a private man He is a Legend but were all lying if we didnt say it would be nice to have see him again at ER. I respect his right to privacy and grateful to have seen him play. He left me wanting more.

Keyser Sauzee
20-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Between him and Latapy for my all time great hibs player. If he did come back for a one off appearance, not at a game just an evening at Easter road appearance, do u think we would sell out all 4 stands for said appearance? (I don’t actually think we’ll see him back sadly just speaking hypothetically)

Elephant Stone
20-02-2018, 11:48 AM
I will have been at all of his home games and a few away ones and yet I remember absolutely nothing about seeing him play. Imagine how annoying that is. Looked to have been an incredible player for us though from the clips I've seen, though. How on earth did we manage to sign him?

pacorosssco
20-02-2018, 11:57 AM
I will have been at all of his home games and a few away ones and yet I remember absolutely nothing about seeing him play. Imagine how annoying that is. Looked to have been an incredible player for us though from the clips I've seen, though. How on earth did we manage to sign him?

Lasting memories are of a calm composed presence at the back who started most of play with a neat or clever ball to midfield. A nice little touch or trick most games and a desire to go get a goal. A threat at set pieces who scored some very nice goals. Played with a swagger and a smile

lucky
20-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Best player I’ve seen in a Hibs shirt in the last 40 years. I’d love him to return to ER one day

Zazu62
20-02-2018, 12:04 PM
#getfranckback

Elephant Stone
20-02-2018, 12:13 PM
Lasting memories are of a calm composed presence at the back who started most of play with a neat or clever ball to midfield. A nice little touch or trick most games and a desire to go get a goal. A threat at set pieces who scored some very nice goals. Played with a swagger and a smile

Cheers for that :top marks

As for the set pieces, I do remember seeing him and Latapy standing over free kicks trying to work out who would take it. Never knew how lucky I was to be seeing that at the time.

Langlee Hibs
20-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Best player I’ve seen in a Hibs shirt in the last 40 years. I’d love him to return to ER one day

^This.

Cabbage East
20-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Comfortably the best player I've ever seen in a Hibs shirt. What a privilege to turn up on a Saturday and watch him. He was just amazing on the ball and streets ahead of everyone on the pitch. He also scored a few screamers. Between him and Latapy whenever we had a free kick in the final third you just knew we'd score.

Hero.

DarlingtonHibee
20-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Hero, up there with Pat. Just wish he would come back to say goodbye properly.

SirDavidsNapper
20-02-2018, 12:24 PM
When people say "strolled through the game" Franck really did. Oozed class. Makes you wonder how good he was in his prime.

sean04
20-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Love for him to come on at half time against hearts. Deserves a proper send off and the fans would go mental seeing him again

Cabbage East
20-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Maybe it's just as well he hasn't come back, i'd be greeting like a bairn.

DarlingtonHibee
20-02-2018, 12:32 PM
Class, just class

DarlingtonHibee
20-02-2018, 12:40 PM
Could we not agree to give him a donation to a charity of his choice? So he can come back to say goodbye properly

pacorosssco
20-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Wonder what would have happened if we hadnt sacked him. I think hed have got the vital win v St Johnstone (I think it was) but was all kinds chat at time about dressing room problems. Was always wrong time with club having to downsize after tv money dried up. AYR semi was dreadful and he looked dejected at that point. Did he do anything in football after Hibs?

Barman Stanton
20-02-2018, 12:48 PM
When people say "strolled through the game" Franck really did. Oozed class. Makes you wonder how good he was in his prime.

Good enough to be France's captain and play the central midfield role in a Champions League winning team full of superstars. Don't think we will ever sign anyone of that calibre again.

Stevie Reid
20-02-2018, 12:58 PM
As Ted Brack pointed out in his book, when he became manager and retired from playing, we lost our best defender and attacker in one go. Devastated that it never worked out for him, but if anyone ever overtakes him as the best player I've seen play for us, I'll be surprised - and delighted.

hibsbollah
20-02-2018, 01:21 PM
For some players football is just a job. I don't doubt Franck had genuine affection for us when here and he was visibly upset when he was sacked. However playing and coaching football isn't his job anymore and he may just want to enjoy his retirement without revisitng a period that probably carries a bit of emotion as it brought the curtain down on that chapter in his life.

I'd love him to come back to ER but if he doesn't then so be it. I still wish him nothing but the best and he's still the best player I've seen play for us.

I also remember reading an interview with him the Scotsman did, maybe five years after he was sacked, saying he would one day return to Easter Road, but in disguise, so he could watch the game like a normal supporter.

Just imagine, walking up to ER one day, taking your seat, looking you your left and see Sauzee next to you with a bunnet on :greengrin

Its also instructive that he doesn't seem to get involved with Marseille anymore either, so his reclusiveness isn't really about Hibs, it's obviously just a general thing.

Wilson
20-02-2018, 01:24 PM
I also remember reading an interview with him the Scotsmen did, maybe five years after he was sacked, saying he would one day return to Easter Road, but in disguise, so he could watch the game like a normal supporter.

Just imagine, walking up to ER one day, taking your seat, looking you your left and see Sauzee next to you with a bunnet on :greengrin

I'll be calling out the guy in the pie queue that tries to order a croque monsieur.

pacorosssco
20-02-2018, 01:27 PM
Its also instructive that he doesn't seem to get involved with Marseille anymore either, so his reclusiveness isn't really about Hibs, it's obviously just a general thing.[/QUOTE]

Friend was at club(Marseille) few years back and met director, commercial guy who said that they reached out many times and that he was missed around the place but were met with little response.

jacomo
20-02-2018, 01:37 PM
#getfranckback

Kidnapp him if needs be. Could be a plot for an Irvine Welsh novel.

SirDavidsNapper
20-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Get the feeling he'd make an appearance if or when Rod moves on.

Wilson
20-02-2018, 02:17 PM

Get the feeling that that is bollocks.

Weir07
20-02-2018, 02:18 PM
I'm 49 and Franck is the best player I've seen play for Hibs, an excellent footballer, who made the game look so easy. Fantastic derby record but the moment that sums him up for me was against Livingston in the Scottish Cup Semi Final, Livingston played a ball over the top, Franck is the only man back and turns towards goal to get the ball, while being closed down by two of their attackers , he takes it out of the air with superb control, turns on a sixpence and then sets off up the pitch, all the while the Livingston attackers are still running towards the Hibs goal. Probably not explained it very well but it was sheer class, just like the man himself!

The_Exile
20-02-2018, 02:20 PM

Petrie was the only director to vote for him to stay on as manager IIRC.

Baader
20-02-2018, 02:22 PM
My Hibernian hero. Met him on Princes St one night about 1999 and spoke to him for about 10 minutes - he was an absolute gent. Was at the presentation day for him at ER shortly after his departure. Needs pointing out that Malcolm McPherson was Hibs chairman when Franck left.

He was doing a bit of studio punditry for Canal + in France up until recently so not completely out the public eye.

Would love to see him back for a half time presentation. :not worth

pacorosssco
20-02-2018, 02:27 PM

Ive often wondered if he had no desire to manage but stepped in to help club. Still believe we would have stayed up just and rot started under Rusty

SirDavidsNapper
20-02-2018, 02:27 PM

Didn't realise that. Thought they parted on bad terms.

SirDavidsNapper
20-02-2018, 02:28 PM
Get the feeling that that is bollocks.

Calm down petal

Wilson
20-02-2018, 02:30 PM
Calm down petal

I'm calm, thanks. It was though.

pacorosssco
20-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Didn't realise that. Thought they parted on bad terms.

Rod chucked a glass of red over him, it wasnt French:wink:

Elephant Stone
20-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Calm down petal

Seems pretty calm and reasonable to me.

IGRIGI
20-02-2018, 02:56 PM
Hibernian vs Marseille in the Europa League next year, he'd have no option but to go.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-02-2018, 03:38 PM
My Hibernian hero. Met him on Princes St one night about 1999 and spoke to him for about 10 minutes - he was an absolute gent. Was at the presentation day for him at ER shortly after his departure. Needs pointing out that Malcolm McPherson was Hibs chairman when Franck left.

He was doing a bit of studio punditry for Canal + in France up until recently so not completely out the public eye.

Would love to see him back for a half time presentation. :not worth

Voila mes amis - Le PowerPoint...!

overdrive
20-02-2018, 04:10 PM
Hibernian vs Marseille in the Europa League next year, he'd have no option but to go.

Probably. But only because he’d be working doing punditry.

Deansy
20-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Between him and Latapy for my all time great hibs player. If he did come back for a one off appearance, not at a game just an evening at Easter road appearance, do u think we would sell out all 4 stands for said appearance? (I don’t actually think we’ll see him back sadly just speaking hypothetically)

It'd be a record time for a sell-out attendance - I still get goosebumps whenever his name's mentioned !

Tornadoes70
20-02-2018, 04:32 PM
:not worth

Only twice in my life have I left my place of work without notice to rush down to Easter Road. The first was when the news broke of the Mercer takeover bid with the second upon hearing of Big Franck being sacked. Franck is a living legend and hero. The Hammer of the Hearts.

God bless the King Franck Sauzee.

mon the cabbage!!!

Hibs1969
20-02-2018, 04:33 PM
I'm 49 and Franck is the best player I've seen play for Hibs, an excellent footballer, who made the game look so easy. Fantastic derby record but the moment that sums him up for me was against Livingston in the Scottish Cup Semi Final, Livingston played a ball over the top, Franck is the only man back and turns towards goal to get the ball, while being closed down by two of their attackers , he takes it out of the air with superb control, turns on a sixpence and then sets off up the pitch, all the while the Livingston attackers are still running towards the Hibs goal. Probably not explained it very well but it was sheer class, just like the man himself!

I was at that semi final and the incident you describe took place right in front of us. You describe it perfectly and exactly as it happened. It was a sublime piece of skill which left the 2 Livi players for dead. The man was a genius and without doubt one of the greatest players ever to represent our club.

hibsbollah
20-02-2018, 04:46 PM

In a nutshell :agree:

DH1875
20-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Probably. But only because he’d be working doing punditry.

Is he still a pundit on French TV and..... Does he still do the French commentary for the FIFA games?

RoscoHibby
20-02-2018, 05:33 PM

I was going to post the same! Unbelievable skill and confidence. We then scored from I'm sure the next attack as that moved us right up the pitch.

There is indeed only one sauzee.

MrSmith
20-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Kidnapp him if needs be. Could be a plot for an Irvine Welsh novel.

Ha ha aye brilliant idea :aok: Irvine could call it ‘seeking Suazee’ :not worth

One Day
20-02-2018, 05:44 PM

I remember that too. Pure class. Would be nice if he would return at some point.

Hibbyradge
20-02-2018, 05:59 PM

From where do you "get that feeling"?

SirDavidsNapper
20-02-2018, 06:24 PM
From where do you "get that feeling"?

Is that a serious question?

HoboHarry
20-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Why wouldn't it be? I wondered myself where you plucked your comment about Rod Petrie from?

SirDavidsNapper
20-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Why wouldn't it be? I wondered myself where you plucked your comment about Rod Petrie from?

I thought they left on bad terms. Replied to the poster who corrected me. Not sure why i thought that but obviously i was wrong. Hope to see him back one day.

Deeds
20-02-2018, 06:32 PM
He had such an influence that all the players in the team raised their level when he was on the park. They must have felt 10 ft tall playing with him...

Hi Heid Yin
20-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Not seeing him again at Easter Road is not a problem for me, as the memories of him as a player are cemented.
The same applies to all of my Easter Road heroes of the past.
Frank evidently enjoys his peace and quiet and relative anonymity.
I think it is easy to forget also that he left under a dark grey cloud of failure as a manager, and I suspect that deep down this affects him to this day.
He's a proud man and the idea of returning to the scene of his managerial failure is anathema to him.

Hibbyradge
20-02-2018, 07:02 PM

Of course.

I haven't been aware of any animosity between RP and Sauzee, so I'm interested in what you've noticed recently that gives you that feeling.

bawheid
20-02-2018, 07:24 PM
The day we sacked Sauzee was probably my saddest day as a Hibs supporter. Worse than any relegation, cup final defeat (even that one) or losing your best player. It was just plain wrong. Still makes me angry to this day.

Hibbyradge
20-02-2018, 07:37 PM
The day we sacked Sauzee was probably my saddest day as a Hibs supporter. Worse than any relegation, cup final defeat (even that one) or losing your best player. It was just plain wrong. Still makes me angry to this day.

It was a horrible day.

I don't know if the board had many options given the results and performances. 5 league points out of a possible 33, only 1 win (in the cup replay against Stranraer) in a total of 15 games, and a semifinal loss to Ayr.

Sauzee is arguably my favourite ever Hibs player, but I don't know how much longer the board could have given him.

:boo hoo:

renato
20-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Legend. Watching Latapy and Le God dovetailing on the pitch was just outrageous, we’ll probably never have players of that quality again, sadly.

https://youtu.be/vXhJr7ZytUw

bawheid
20-02-2018, 07:53 PM
It was a horrible day.

I don't know if the board had many options given the results and performances. 5 league points out of a possible 33, only 1 win (in the cup replay against Stranraer) in a total of 15 games, and a semifinal loss to Ayr.

Sauzee is arguably my favourite ever Hibs player, but I don't know how much longer the board could have given him.

Whatever would have been would have been. He was treated extremely poorly and deserved so much better.

Billy Whizz
20-02-2018, 07:55 PM

I remember it for other reasons, took ill, and ended up in Hospital for a fortnight. Missed Bobby’s 1st game against St Johnstone at ER, think we won 3-1, but could be wrong

Billy Whizz
20-02-2018, 08:00 PM
It was a horrible day.

We were on a massive downward spiral before he was appointed. McLeish has left us in a mess. Would be interesting to see our win rate from m Jan 2001 to when McLeish left us, I think November 2001. Sauzee was left with a poor squad, and in retrospect probably wasn’t the best choice at the time

bawheid
20-02-2018, 08:00 PM
I remember it for other reasons, took ill, and ended up in Hospital for a fortnight. Missed Bobby’s 1st game against St Johnstone at ER, think we won 3-1, but could be wrong

My recollection says 3-0. There was relief that’s for sure. But something was lost that week that wouldn’t return until Tony Mowbray walked through the door of that press conference a few years later.

I remember Sauzee’s Hibs side drawing 0-0 with Celtic at home. Martin O’Neill was full of praise for Sauzee afterwards. Almost urging the Hibs board to give him the time. It’s often forgotten that McLeish had us in free fall while he chose between his own bags of sweeties.

Hibbyradge
20-02-2018, 08:03 PM

3 - 0

Billy Whizz
20-02-2018, 08:04 PM
My recollection says 3-0. There was relief that’s for sure. But something was lost that week that wouldn’t return until Tony Mowbray walked through the door of that press conference a few years later.

I remember Sauzee’s Hibs side drawing 0-0 with Celtic at home. Martin O’Neill was full of praise for Sauzee afterwards. Almost urging the Hibs board to give him the time. It’s often forgotten that McLeish had us in free fall while he chose between his own bags of sweeties.

Bawheid, I was in a hospital bed, wasn’t there, so will bow to your memory
Be interesting to see the Hibs team for the Saints game. We’d lost to ayr at Hampden 2 weeks or so before, shows you how bad we were at the time

bawheid
20-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Bawheid, I was in a hospital bed, wasn’t there, so will bow to your memory
Be interesting to see the Hibs team for the Saints game. We’d lost to ayr at Hampden 2 weeks or so before, shows you how bad we were at the time

Colgan, Orman, Caldwell, Smith, Murray, De la Cruz (Townsley 79), Jack, O'Neil, Arpinon (Brebner 49), O'Connor, Brewster (Hurtado 69). Subs Not Used: Caig, Fenwick.

Not a bad side to be fair!

Hibbyradge
20-02-2018, 08:12 PM
The win against St Johnstone was our first in 19 games.

Stats and history show that Bobby Williamson kept us in the league. Whether Franck would have done the same, we can guess and argue about, but we'll never know.

I wish we'd lost patience with Butcher as quickly.

IGRIGI
20-02-2018, 08:13 PM
Legend. Watching Latapy and Le God dovetailing on the pitch was just outrageous, we’ll probably never have players of that quality again, sadly.

https://youtu.be/vXhJr7ZytUw

Well that`s me started:boo hoo:

Billy Whizz
20-02-2018, 08:14 PM
Colgan, Orman, Caldwell, Smith, Murray, De la Cruz (Townsley 79), Jack, O'Neil, Arpinon (Brebner 49), O'Connor, Brewster (Hurtado 69). Subs Not Used: Caig, Fenwick.

Great thanks, Lot of experienced and talented players

IGRIGI
20-02-2018, 08:15 PM
Wasn`t there a lot of back stabbing also when he was manager? I remember reading something about Luna not being happy or something along those lines.

In any case it was some shock to the system to go from the flair days of Sauzee to the going to the cinema days of Blobby.

Billy Whizz
20-02-2018, 08:18 PM
The win against St Johnstone was our first in 19 games.

Stats and history show that Bobby Williamson kept us in the league. Whether Franck would have done the same, we can guess and argue about, but we'll never know.

I wish we'd lost patience with Butcher as quickly.

Think that tells you how poor we had been performing at the time. Wonder how many of these games were under McLeish/Sauzee!
Remember one of McLeish’s last games at ER, lost 3-0 at home to Livi, and we were a total shambles
Board probably made the wrong decision in appointing Sauzee at the time

Broken Gnome
20-02-2018, 08:20 PM

I thought we had a team far removed from McLeish's by that point, surprised it was still that strong. Not sure how they had such a bad record, if you ignore the fact there's zero pace in it.

Hibbyradge
20-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Wasn`t there a lot of back stabbing also when he was manager? I remember reading something about Luna not being happy or something along those lines.

In any case it was some shock to the system to go from the flair days of Sauzee to the going to the cinema days of Blobby.

There were rumours about problems behind the scenes which didn't put Sauzee in a good light.

How much of that affected the board's decision is anyone's guess.

Hibbyradge
20-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Think that tells you how poor we had been performing at the time. Wonder how many of these games were under McLeish/Sauzee!
Remember one of McLeish’s last games at ER, lost 3-0 at home to Livi, and we were a total shambles

Franck was manager for 11 league games.

bawheid
20-02-2018, 08:26 PM
I thought we had a team far removed from McLeish's by that point, surprised it was still that strong. Not sure how they had such a bad record, if you ignore the fact there's zero pace in it.

Williamson dropped Lilian Martin (shudder) and Jarkko Wiss (double shudder) for his first game in charge.

I remember that defeat to Ayr at Hampden. Pretty sure Yogi strolled it in defence for Ayr. We were utter pish. Sauzee standing in the rain on the touchline unable to change it. Still looked cool as **** though. Proper Hibs.

IGRIGI
20-02-2018, 08:38 PM
That Semi Final was horrible. I felt sick afterwards knowing that was the end for Sauzee.

Stevie Reid
20-02-2018, 08:45 PM
I think Craig Brewster missed around 14 games of in the run where we had won win in 17 games, but I might be wrong.

He definitely was out for a while, and only really came back to fitness when BW came in. Think GOC went on a wee scoring burst at the end of the season when played up front with Brewster.

Hiber-nation
20-02-2018, 09:02 PM

Yeah I recall rumours on here, or its predecessor about senior players including Luna going to the Board, very unhappy about Franck's management. No idea if this was true.

We hadn't won our last 6 under McLeish since the De La Cruz Derby and as previously mentioned, Brewster got injured. I don't think many fans could imagine how poor we'd be under Sauzee but the day he got sacked was one of these "where were you when it happened" days. I had to leave work early, couldn't concentrate!

JimBHibees
20-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Yeah I recall rumours on here, or its predecessor about senior players including Luna going to the Board, very unhappy about Franck's management. No idea if this was true.

We hadn't won our last 6 under McLeish since the De La Cruz Derby and as previously mentioned, Brewster got injured. I don't think many fans could imagine how poor we'd be under Sauzee but the day he got sacked was one of these "where were you when it happened" days. I had to leave work early, couldn't concentrate!

One of the worst things Franck did was stop playing himself.

angus hibby
20-02-2018, 09:27 PM
From reading the book, Ted Brack did everything he could to contact Sauzee about his time at Hibs and to get his input, or even show him the book once it’d been completed, but heard nothing back from him.

It would be brilliant if he did come back for a game, but sadly I doubt it will happen.

He seemed to love “Heebs”. Remember the game at Tynecastle when Antti Niemi was hit by something which had been thrown by Hibs fans. Franck ran half the length of the pitch, stood in front of Hibs fans to give us a telling off. Got a standing ovation.

Hi Heid Yin
20-02-2018, 11:25 PM
One of the worst things Franck did was stop playing himself.

Looking back I recall quite vividly Franck being caught flat footed and left behind by more agile and speedy youngsters from other teams: a Dundee United game at E.R. springs to mine. I think big Franck knew that father time had caught up with him and that his body could not move as quickly as his footballing brain. He knew it was time to call it a day.
Being thrust into a high profile management role, well before he was ready, was always going to end up one way.
We all wanted him to succeed but the naked truth is that he was/is not cut out to be a manager. Great players do not naturally become great managers.

Tornadoes70
20-02-2018, 11:30 PM
Looking back I recall quite vividly Franck being caught flat footed and left behind by more agile and speedy youngsters from other teams: a Dundee United game at E.R. springs to mine. I think big Franck knew that father time had caught up with him and that his body could not move as quickly as his footballing brain. He knew it was time to call it a day.
Being thrust into a high profile management role, well before he was ready, was always going to end up one way.
We all wanted him to succeed but the naked truth is that he was/is not cut out to be a manager. Great players do not naturally become great managers.

This is something we'll never really know for certain. He simply wasn't given the time or resources for us ever to determine the bald assertion you've stated. No disrespect as I think you're a really good poster but I disagree with you on this as the point you make was largely not put to the test for all new managers need more time than big Franck had.

mon the cabbage!!!

Austinho
21-02-2018, 12:12 AM
As much as I’d love to see Frank in the flesh again, part of me wonders if his legacy is almost enhanced by the fact we haven’t seen him since. Like a rock star or artist who is heralded more after death than they ever were alive. Guess it keeps a bit of mystery and romance about his time at Hibs.

Look at Paul Scholes and Roy Keane at Man United. Absolute club legends, but both have both been critical of their old team in the press and on TV, which has tarnished their reputation with the United fans in varying degrees.

Hi Heid Yin
21-02-2018, 12:26 AM
This is something we'll never really know for certain. He simply wasn't given the time or resources for us ever to determine the bald assertion you've stated. No disrespect as I think you're a really good poster but I disagree with you on this as the point you make was largely not put to the test for all new managers need more time than big Franck had.

mon the cabbage!!!

Respect for your honesty:
I admire big Franck as much as anyone for his wonderful contribution as a player, but it's often a harsh reality for many a great player to not be cut out for management. To this day Franck has not, as far as I'm aware, even attempted another managerial role - preferring to be a tv pundit. I agree with you that 69 days is insufficient time, even for an experienced manager to make a mark, but our performances were abject with no sign of improvement. If memory serves me correct, the board felt desperately sorry to see Franck sinking under the enormous burden of management and felt that they were doing him a huge favour by sacking him - as harsh as it seemed at the time. Perhaps also, and I say perhaps, that bitter, humiliating experience informed Franck that management was not for him.
It's hard also to imagine a determined would-be manager, not wanting to prove his critics wrong and take on another managerial role, or even serve an apprenticeship as a number two to a more experienced manager - cutting his teeth, so to speak. Franck perhaps, and again I say perhaps, ultimately wanted a less-stressful life and didn't feel driven enough towards being a manager.
At the end of the day, I'm happy to have seen the big man strut his stuff on the field and remember him for this above his time as manager.
On a lighter note, I had a great chat with Franck and his good lady one sunny day in Princes Street back in 2000 - an absolute gentleman.

Sauzee16
21-02-2018, 12:29 AM

1st game after he left was against them at Ibrox Paco scored in sure 1 up no GJP at half time after all.

Mcleish left us thentank. I know for a fact Mixu advised LenGod not to sign Wiss.

Anyway, Franck - he was two passes ahead of the game our level. He went down injured the week before the cup final my heart sank. Le God on his knees after the final whistle I was in tears. Love the man. Utter utter class.

Bay Area Hibees
21-02-2018, 02:26 AM
Met an ex world football of the year, now manger of Real Madrid and his business partner via work.

They know him due to French and marseille connection.

I asked them to tell Le god about the adoration hibs Fans have for him, very much doubt they passed that on but I like to think so.

Bay Area Hibees
21-02-2018, 04:24 AM
Met an ex world football of the year, now manger of Real Madrid and his business partner via work.

They know him due to French and marseille connection.

I asked them to tell Le god about the adoration hibs Fans have for him, very much doubt they passed that on but I like to think so.

Tornadoes70
21-02-2018, 07:50 AM
Respect for your honesty:
I admire big Franck as much as anyone for his wonderful contribution as a player, but it's often a harsh reality for many a great player to not be cut out for management. To this day Franck has not, as far as I'm aware, even attempted another managerial role - preferring to be a tv pundit. I agree with you that 69 days is insufficient time, even for an experienced manager to make a mark, but our performances were abject with no sign of improvement. If memory serves me correct, the board felt desperately sorry to see Franck sinking under the enormous burden of management and felt that they were doing him a huge favour by sacking him - as harsh as it seemed at the time. Perhaps also, and I say perhaps, that bitter, humiliating experience informed Franck that management was not for him.
It's hard also to imagine a determined would-be manager, not wanting to prove his critics wrong and take on another managerial role, or even serve an apprenticeship as a number two to a more experienced manager - cutting his teeth, so to speak. Franck perhaps, and again I say perhaps, ultimately wanted a less-stressful life and didn't feel driven enough towards being a manager.
At the end of the day, I'm happy to have seen the big man strut his stuff on the field and remember him for this above his time as manager.
On a lighter note, I had a great chat with Franck and his good lady one sunny day in Princes Street back in 2000 - an absolute gentleman.

Very fair points mate. The brief stint Franck had as our manager certainly appears to have been the experience that steered him clear of any further role in management elsewhere. He was a real gentleman as you rightly say and sometimes the most pleasant nicest folk like big Franck aren't meant for the sometimes ruthless demands of a manager. I wish he'd come back one day and be received as the hero and legend he will always be at this club.

There's Only One Sauzee :not worth

mon the cabbage!!!

Hi Heid Yin
21-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Very fair points mate. The brief stint Franck had as our manager certainly appears to have been the experience that steered him clear of any further role in management elsewhere. He was a real gentleman as you rightly say and sometimes the most pleasant nicest folk like big Franck aren't meant for the sometimes ruthless demands of a manager. I wish he'd come back one day and be received as the hero and legend he will always be at this club.

There's Only One Sauzee :not worth

mon the cabbage!!!

Ditto:agree:

worcesterhibby
04-09-2021, 05:44 PM
I remember him receiving a presentation on the pitch up at Tannadice, from who I can't remember. Might even have been Hibs.net? Normally these things are a handshake, glance at the gift then pose for picture, but I don't think I've seen anyone genuinely so pleased to receive a presentation, and in Franck's case it was simply some fly fishing sundries.

First time I've read this thread (I'm only 3.5 years late:greengrin) and just thought I'd add some detail to this. It wasn't just some "Fly-fishing sundries". It was wee bit more special than that.

It was Franck's 35th Birthday if memory serves me right and a group of us on Hibs.net decided to mark the occasion. We knew he was a passionate Fly Angler and I tie flies so I created a pattern that was (of course) Green & White and was called "Sauzee's Glory" (there is a very famous fishing fly called a Greenwells Glory, so it makes sense to a fishing fan). I tied a couple of them and had them mounted in a presentation case. That's what was presented to him on the pitch. A brand new fly pattern invented and tied in his honour.

Unfortunately I couldn't be there as I was working at a trade show in England that weekend, so I never got too see him receive the gift. Great to hear after all these years that he was really chuffed :greengrin

Stairway 2 7
04-09-2021, 05:52 PM
Brilliant

Peevemor
04-09-2021, 05:57 PM
First time I've read this thread (I'm only 3.5 years late:greengrin) and just thought I'd add some detail to this. It wasn't just some "Fly-fishing sundries". It was wee bit more special than that.

It was Franck's 35th Birthday if memory serves me right and a group of us on Hibs.net decided to mark the occasion. We knew he was a passionate Fly Angler and I tie flies so I created a pattern that was (of course) Green & White and was called "Sauzee's Glory" (there is a very famous fishing fly called a Greenwells Glory, so it makes sense to a fishing fan). I tied a couple of them and had them mounted in a presentation case. That's what was presented to him on the pitch. A brand new fly pattern invented and tied in his honour.

Unfortunately I couldn't be there as I was working at a trade show in England that weekend, so I never got too see him receive the gift. Great to hear after all these years that he was really chuffed :greengrin For a while our band practiced in the Navy Club at Canonmills on Thursday nights. At the same time there were regular fly tying classes in the bar and I often listened in for 20 minutes or so when waiting on folk to arrive. I'm not an angler but I thought it was fascinating what with all the wee tips & tricks (I remember the main guy's delight at the bristles on cheap shaving brushes that he'd found in poundstretcher). Nothing to do with Franck or Hibs but there you go.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-09-2021, 06:07 PM
I was working at a Contact Centre at the time the call came out from Stu Crowther (RIP) for a translation for the great man, I managed to get on of the French girls to do the honours.

Booked4Being-Ugly
04-09-2021, 06:17 PM

Unfortunately I couldn't be there as I was working at a trade show in England that weekend, so I never got too see him receive the gift. Great to hear after all these years that he was really chuffed :greengrin

What’s the pattern/materials?

worcesterhibby
04-09-2021, 06:36 PM
What’s the pattern/materials?

Good question, it's a wee while ago now and I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll need to fire up my old IMac as I know there are photos of the fly on there and I listed the dressing on the back of the presentation case, so I'm pretty sure the word document will still be on there. I'll fire up the old computer this week and let you know :agree:

worcesterhibby
04-09-2021, 06:43 PM
For a while our band practiced in the Navy Club at Canonmills on Thursday nights. At the same time there were regular fly tying classes in the bar and I often listened in for 20 minutes or so when waiting on folk to arrive. I'm not an angler but I thought it was fascinating what with all the wee tips & tricks (I remember the main guy's delight at the bristles on cheap shaving brushes that he'd found in poundstretcher). Nothing to do with Franck or Hibs but there you go.

I got into tying my own flies as a young teenager. I used to sell them to make some extra pocket money and buy fishing tackle I otherwise couldn't afford. It is a fascinating business and it's great fun finding feathers and new materials and using them successfully to catch fish. I always think a fish caught on a fly I have tied myself is worth twice as much as one caught on a bought fly. I like to think that in Franck's man-cave next to his football trophy cabinet, that maybe he still has those mounted flies on his wall :greengrin

Jim44
04-09-2021, 11:02 PM
Spent my teenage years fishing the Water of Leith from Dean Village to Junction St. and caught some lovely trout. Tied flies for years and fished the Tweed for 30 years ….. brilliant. Golf and bowling got the better of me and fishing took a back seat. Tempted to get casting a fly again but probably won’t. Thigh deep in water doesn’t appeal as much as it used to. Anyone thinking of trying fishing …… go for it. Best pastime in the world. Tight lines!

Pagan Hibernia
05-09-2021, 08:48 AM
Spent my teenage years fishing the Water of Leith from Dean Village to Junction St. and caught some lovely trout. Tied flies for years and fished the Tweed for 30 years ….. brilliant. Golf and bowling got the better of me and fishing took a back seat. Tempted to get casting a fly again but probably won’t. Thigh deep in water doesn’t appeal as much as it used to. Anyone thinking of trying fishing …… go for it. Best pastime in the world. Tight lines!

you 100% certain you’re not a jambo? :wink:

BILLYHIBS
05-09-2021, 09:25 AM
Quite enjoy Mortimer and Whitehouse : Gone Fishing

Good for the Heart

On tonight IIRC

No sign of Le God though

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-09-2021, 05:26 PM
My old man is a keen fisherman and ties his own flies, I remember him telling me that he was doing a job in Sauzee's house when my old man worked for BT, he was going to ask him if he fancied going for a day's fishing but his bottle crashed and he never got round to asking.

worcesterhibby
05-09-2021, 06:58 PM
My old man is a keen fisherman and ties his own flies, I remember him telling me that he was doing a job in Sauzee's house when my old man worked for BT, he was going to ask him if he fancied going for a day's fishing but his bottle crashed and he never got round to asking.

Missed opportunity !

FilipinoHibs
05-09-2021, 09:43 PM
I encouraged my ex wife to get involved in the Franck Sauzee Appreciation Society (FAS). She became one of the main organisers and there was to a raffle for his cup final shirt. We kept it in our house. It was enormous. At the actual event she told me Irvine Welsh flirted with her. She went to Franck's house for dinner with his wife afterwards and I could not make because of my job. I did get my Franck Sauzee top signed by him with a message to me. Never been washed since.

jacomo
09-09-2021, 02:51 PM
Quite enjoy Mortimer and Whitehouse : Gone Fishing

Good for the Heart

On tonight IIRC

No sign of Le God though

That tv show is essentially all I know about fly fishing.

Never tried it but it makes it look appealing.

BILLYHIBS
09-09-2021, 03:33 PM
That tv show is essentially all I know about fly fishing.

Never tried it but it makes it look appealing.
Quite calming

Currently streaming on the BBCiPlayer

:fishin:

O'Rourke3
09-09-2021, 07:46 PM
I did get my Franck Sauzee top signed by him with a message to me. Never been washed since.

You or the top?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
09-09-2021, 08:02 PM
You or the top?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Haha!