PDA

View Full Version : Simon Murray

JDT
18-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Just been watching yesterday's highlights and noticed after his first goal he kisses the badge. I know he's a Dundee lad and maybe I'm reading a bit too much into it but thought it was weird from him since he's only on loan

Admins - feel free to merge to the other thread

Zazu62
18-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Kissing the Dundee badge after scoring yesterday maybe a bit much considering he’s still a Hibs player?

Sir David Gray
18-02-2018, 06:43 PM
He grew up as a Dundee fan.

cleanyman
Dundee fan

greenlex
No weirder than Griffiths doing it when on loan to Hibs

Nevi_SOL
Sparky done it whilst on loan at us but was that okay?

Scott Allan Key
Just been watching yesterday's highlights and noticed after his first goal he kisses the badge. I know he's a Dundee lad and maybe I'm reading a bit too much into it but thought it was weird from him since he's only on loan

He supports them. Fair dos, really. It’s not like it’s Hearts. Albert Kidd, lest we forget.

Sammy7nil
18-02-2018, 06:46 PM
Sparky done it whilst on loan at us but was that okay?

The only thing I find strange is Sparky kissing their badge

SouthMoroccoStu
18-02-2018, 06:47 PM
Come off it

He was hardly the shy and retiring type when he scored for us, the Rangers and hearts goals spring to mind

Famous Fiver
18-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Great to see him do well yesterday.

We'll never know but he could well have had a couple n(at Least) at Easter Road yesterday.

SirDavidsNapper
18-02-2018, 06:48 PM

Admins - feel free to merge to the other thread

Not at all. It's his boyhood team. No issue with it whatsoever

SunshineOnLeith
18-02-2018, 06:49 PM
I was raging when Griffiths kissed the Hibs badge while he was still a Wolves player. :agree:

weecounty hibby
18-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Good on him. Dundee fan now living the dream of playing for his team. Always gave 100% for us so no hard feelings from me. I doubt if we will see him in a Hibs jersey again

Sir David Gray
18-02-2018, 07:06 PM
Good on him. Dundee fan now living the dream of playing for his team. Always gave 100% for us so no hard feelings from me. I doubt if we will see him in a Hibs jersey again

I have my doubts too but if he does well at Dundee you never know.

As things stand, he and Oli Shaw are the only strikers who are contracted to us beyond the end of this season so it's possible he may well come back for next season.

Thecat23
18-02-2018, 07:11 PM
Considering he’ll never play for us again don’t think we should be bothered. Even if he does it’s the team he supported growing up, good on him.

Captain Trips
18-02-2018, 07:11 PM
He appears to be giving Dundee 100% just like he did here. No problem with badge stuff.

Lago
18-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Considering he’ll never play for us again don’t think we should be bothered. Even if he does it’s the team he supported growing up, good on him.
So, you know he'll never be back, or you think he'll never be back, or you hope he'll never be back😁

tamig
18-02-2018, 07:41 PM

I hope that’s not the case. I hope to see him back with us next season. Suppose it all hinges on the summer recruitment though.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-02-2018, 07:49 PM
He is allowed to show some emotion scoring for his boyhood heroes. Can't see him coming back to be a bit part player.

neil7908
18-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Non issue

Nicho87
18-02-2018, 08:21 PM
I can't see him coming back. I think Lennon took a punt on a rough diamond and it's not got the potential he had hoped for. Wish Simon all the best. But if we want Europe we should be looking at higher calibre player in his position. Just my opinion.

Wilson
18-02-2018, 08:38 PM
Goals win games and Murray's won the points for Dundee.

Add to that our squad lacks depth.

Then there is the fact that hibs didn't entertain the reported bids for Murray and were only forced to "sacrifice" (Lennon's words) a striker to push through the Scott Allan loan.

We only have an option on Flo - nothing certain until its a done deal - and we are unlikely to afford Maclaren should he do well.

Everything points to Murray's probable return.

I will be happy with that. Especially if he can keep banging them in for Dundee.

Iceman1875
18-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Never mind kissing the badge, did he do Simon says?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
18-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Professional footballer kissing the badge means nothing at all. Standard self promoting.

18-02-2018, 09:03 PM
I'm looking forward to watching him make fools of the Jambos on 1st April.

Billy Whizz
18-02-2018, 09:08 PM
I can't see him coming back. I think Lennon took a punt on a rough diamond and it's not got the potential he had hoped for. Wish Simon all the best. But if we want Europe we should be looking at higher calibre player in his position. Just my opinion.

I’d agree with that, started off well but then faded. Nothing bad to say about Simon, wish him well in his career

Broken Gnome
18-02-2018, 09:14 PM
If we bought him as a punt based on the fact he had potential, five months consisting of playing well above what was expected and then some rough patches is too early to write him off.

Not sure he is or would be good enough in the long run, but can't see how people are saying it hasn't worked out as a signing and we're as well punting him.

Forza Fred
18-02-2018, 09:43 PM
If we bought him as a punt based on the fact he had potential, five months consisting of playing well above what was expected and then some rough patches is too early to write him off.

Not sure he is or would be good enough in the long run, but can't see how people are saying it hasn't worked out as a signing and we're as well punting him.

Yep,

I’d like him back for next season.

At the end of this season, MacLaren will definitely be off and Kamberi probably so.

Murray would at least augment if not fill that gap.

MWHIBBIES
18-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Yep,

At the end of this season, MacLaren will definitely be off and Kamberi probably so.

Murray would at least augment if not fill that gap.Based on what?

Cabbage East
18-02-2018, 09:59 PM
Doesn’t bother me. He’s a Dundee fan. Not like he didn’t graft his arse off for us.

Borderhibbie76
18-02-2018, 09:59 PM

Then there is the fact that hibs didn't entertain the reported bids for Murray and were only forced to "sacrifice" (Lennon's words) a striker to push through the Scott Allan loan.

We only have an option on Flo - nothing certain until its a done deal - and we are unlikely to afford Maclaren should he do well.

I will be happy with that. Especially if he can keep banging them in for Dundee.Murray won t be back imho...hes decent but we need much better to challenge for top 2/3 in this division. I wish him well but reckon his move to Dundee will become permanent in summer. Lennon clearly doesn't rate him hence Oli Shaws rapid promotion and regardless of whether we keep Flo and/or McLaren beyond the summer...New striker(s) will be brought in

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

wookie70
18-02-2018, 10:00 PM
No weirder than Griffiths doing it when on loan to Hibs
Far less weird if Simon Murray is a Dundee fan

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-02-2018, 10:00 PM
Yep,

Murray would at least augment if not fill that gap.

Not so sure about that. If we qualify for Europe I would say that would be better exposure than those two currently have. Especially if they become our first choice front two.

The Spaceman
18-02-2018, 10:05 PM
I got the impression we were forced to give away Simon Murray to get Scott Allan in (which, so far, has been an excellent piece of business). However, I still really like Murray - he will score goals and has a fantastic attitude. Hope we see him again in a Hibs strip - could definitely do far worse!

angus hibby
18-02-2018, 11:26 PM
If we want to be in top four regularly, Murray isn’t good enough to be in our starting eleven. Seems our manager agrees, and I’d be surprised if he plays for Hibs again.

IWasThere2016
18-02-2018, 11:35 PM
If we want to be in top four regularly, Murray isn’t good enough to be in our starting eleven. Seems our manager agrees, and I’d be surprised if he plays for Hibs again.

Agreed.

The Harp
18-02-2018, 11:44 PM
Would be happy to see Simon back at ER when his loan deal finishes. Always gives 100% for the cause and is likely to benefit from a change of style by going to Dundee. He has a decent scoring record, and at only 25, there's a lot more to come from him.

MWHIBBIES
19-02-2018, 08:14 AM

To be top four regularly we need more than 11 players, Murray is good enough to be part of the squad.

J-C
19-02-2018, 08:18 AM

I will be happy with that. Especially if he can keep banging them in for Dundee.

I'd heard it was Simon that knocked back the Turkey move, it was decent money for him also. Plus Lennon isn't going to come out and say we let Murray go on loan cause he's pants, he's a very average player who Lennon thought could be turned into a far better one, good work ethic but ultimately we're aiming for higher than Murray is going to take us.

Thecat23
19-02-2018, 08:25 AM
So, you know he'll never be back, or you think he'll never be back, or you hope he'll never be back😁

I’d like him back if truth be told. If he’s playing week in week out for Dundee I think he’d be a better player for us. But I’ve a feeling he may go end of the season. Not got any info just what I think. Hope I’m wrong.

Lago
19-02-2018, 12:19 PM
I’d like him back if truth be told. If he’s playing week in week out for Dundee I think he’d be a better player for us. But I’ve a feeling he may go end of the season. Not got any info just what I think. Hope I’m wrong.
I truly hope your wrong as well, I really like the lad, gives his all & never gives up. I know he is not Harry Kane, but the pure joy on his face when he scored that goal against Hearts will always live with me, plus he showed good skill to achieve it.

My_Wife_Camille
19-02-2018, 01:49 PM
Murray is more than good enough to be the star front man for a bottom 6 side. He’s also good enough to be back up for a top 4 side. He’s the Sam Morrow to Riordan and O’Connor or the Colin Nish to Stokes and Riordan.

Just Jimmy
23-02-2018, 09:04 AM
Murray is more than good enough to be the star front man for a bottom 6 side. He’s also good enough to be back up for a top 4 side. He’s the Sam Morrow to Riordan and O’Connor or the Colin Nish to Stokes and Riordan.he's much better than Sam Morrow and works much harder than Colin Nish (who was a good goal scorer at kilmarnock).

Murray is an asset and I hope he's back.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

My_Wife_Camille
23-02-2018, 09:09 AM
he's much better than Sam Morrow and works much harder than Colin Nish (who was a good goal scorer at kilmarnock).

Murray is an asset and I hope he's back.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
He's better than both absolutely. I wasn't comparing ability, I was comparing his standing in the squad.

He's an asset as a back up or squad but not as a first pick for a side chasing 2nd.

ozwoody
23-02-2018, 09:27 AM
Murray getting extended minutes on the pitch with help him get goals and benefit hibs if he comes back, win/win situation

Diclonius
23-02-2018, 09:56 AM
I hope we see him back here next season. Good player.

ancient hibee
23-02-2018, 01:02 PM
He's better than both absolutely. I wasn't comparing ability, I was comparing his standing in the squad.

He's an asset as a back up or squad but not as a first pick for a side chasing 2nd.
He’s better than one of the all time top goal scorers in the league?

The_Horde
23-02-2018, 04:12 PM

This.

Could not lace Nishys boots.

JDHibs
23-02-2018, 04:16 PM
I hope he comes back.

He isnt good enough to be a starter but say we kept MacLaren and Kamberi, i wouldnt mind having Shaw and Murray as back up.

He still has a lot to learn, like staying on side, but hes shown he can score at this level, his pace, mobility and pressing are a big asset in any team.

Wilson
23-02-2018, 05:17 PM
This.

Could not lace Nishys boots.

I doubt even Nish believes that.

Let's not forget Nish just hung around in Scotland for a long time - sclaffing in goals for a multitude of clubs. He is on the table through longevity rather than quality.

bigwheel
23-02-2018, 05:19 PM

Let's not forget Nish just hung around in Scotland for a long time - sclaffing in goals for a multitude of clubs. He is on the table through longevity rather than quality.

Do you really believe that ? There are many forwards who have played more games than Nish and got nowhere near his strike rate . As a finisher I view Nish far better than Murray - and I cant see Murray getting near his goal record

The_Horde
23-02-2018, 05:22 PM
Do you really believe that ? There are many forwards who have played more games than Nish and got nowhere near his strike rate . As a finisher I view Nish far better than Murray - and I cant see Murray getting near his goal record

Exactly. Nish scored against all the teams we're playing against now and on a regular basis. Simon Murray struggled to even score against the same clubs let alone maintain it.

My_Wife_Camille
23-02-2018, 05:25 PM
Murray has more goals in this league than Nish

dmc1875
23-02-2018, 06:18 PM

I must have imagined many things in a Hibs shirt then?

- The player who had most assists in the season we finished in Europe under Yogi

- The five goals in two games including a hat trick in thirty minutes that put us into Europe

- That 30 yard screamer against Dundee United

- That chip from 25 yards in his first season

He was a boo boy scape goat but he really wasn’t a bad player for us at all

bigwheel
23-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Murray has more goals in this league than Nish

?? Is this a trick....Nish has over 200 top league goals in Scotland

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AgentDaleCooper
23-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Problem with simon murray for me is that he's not good enough to be a starter for us, and in spite of his work rate and pace, rarely if ever makes an imact from the bench. I like him as a player and would love him to do well for us, but he's just not quite good enough IMO. Hope i'm proved wrong though!

sleeping giant
23-02-2018, 06:26 PM

:hilarious

lyonhibs
23-02-2018, 06:28 PM
Exactly. Nish scored against all the teams we're playing against now and on a regular basis. Simon Murray struggled to even score against the same clubs let alone maintain it.

For us he scored less than 1 in every 4 games. Give Simon Murray the same number of games, starts and minutes in this league as Nish and I almost guarantee you he'll score more.

Nish was slow both in thought and deed. Didn't deserve the scapegoat status but wasn't a very good player for us, let's not play silly buggers here.

bigwheel
23-02-2018, 06:31 PM
For us he scored less than 1 in every 4 games. Give Simon Murray the same number of games, starts and minutes in this league as Nish and I almost guarantee you he'll score more.

Nish was slow both in thought and deed. Didn't deserve the scapegoat status but wasn't a very good player for us, let's not play silly buggers here.

Don't agree...far better finisher than Murray...and I'd wager his record will be better than Murray will achieve

lyonhibs
23-02-2018, 06:32 PM

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=15127

Naw, he disnae. Kris Boyd however, does.

hibsbollah
23-02-2018, 06:33 PM

:agree: He wasn't good. Was capable of fine play occasionally but spoiled it by village idiot decision making at least once a game. I have never seen a player wander into offside positions so much for no good reason. Steven Fletcher used to tear his hair out at him. Murray is the better player at this stage on his career imo.

bigwheel
23-02-2018, 06:34 PM
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=15127

Naw, he disnae. Kris Boyd however, does.

Apologies. Read the stats wrong...you are right....

Still say he will have a better record than Murray will...

My_Wife_Camille
23-02-2018, 06:35 PM
I must have imagined many things in a Hibs shirt then?

- The player who had most assists in the season we finished in Europe under Yogi

- The five goals in two games including a hat trick in thirty minutes that put us into Europe

- That 30 yard screamer against Dundee United

- That chip from 25 yards in his first season

He was a boo boy scape goat but he really wasn’t a bad player for us at all
He wasn’t great though. The point was that he was back up to better quality player and I don’t think there’s much arguing with that.

I can’t see what’s wrong with the post you’ve quoted. 64 SPL goals in 13 seasons averages out to about 5 goals a season so it’s fair to say he’s in that list (that actually only covers a 14 year spell between 1999 and 2013) due to longevity more than anything.

lyonhibs
23-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Apologies. Read the stats wrong...you are right....

Still say he will have a better record than Murray will...

One never can tell, and most Scottish footballers would give their left nut to have the career that Nish did, but in circa 10 years, I'll send you a telekinesis message to compare top flight records and we'll see 😋

bigwheel
23-02-2018, 06:38 PM
He wasn’t great though. The point was that he was back up to better quality player and I don’t think there’s much arguing with that.

I can’t see what’s wrong with the post you’ve quoted. 64 SPL goals in 13 seasons averages out to about 5 goals a season so it’s fair to say he’s in that list (that actually only covers a 14 year spell between 1999 and 2013) due to longevity more than anything.

Some decent arguments there....however, lasting 13 years in the top league is a tremendous achievement....can't see Murray doing similar

bigwheel
23-02-2018, 06:40 PM
One never can tell, and most Scottish footballers would give their left nut to have the career that Nish did, but in circa 10 years, I'll send you a telekinesis message to compare top flight records and we'll see [emoji39]

Hahaha....agree on all points... going to get my Delorean ready [emoji6]

scm70nyd1973
23-02-2018, 09:17 PM

Mibbies we thought the same about the Boyler a wee while ago and look how well he has progressed. Hope it is the same with Murray. The really good thing is that we have coaches who can take players who are young and not so young (late teens/early 20s) and enhance their techniques and mind sets - in our league we need that if we are at the very least survive and (hopefully and more likely) prosper. Just my take on it.

Billy Whizz
23-02-2018, 09:28 PM
Some decent arguments there....however, lasting 13 years in the top league is a tremendous achievement....can't see Murray doing similar

Good point

Sir David Gray
23-02-2018, 09:34 PM

Nish scored 64 goals in the SPL.