PDA

View Full Version : Mark Oxley

RobM
18-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Hi there, Southend supporter here (hence the blue font)! Just thought I'd update you all on his spell down here.

Fair to say he got off to a shaky start but this season has been all you'd want. A decent 'keeper for us, we're all well pleased with him. He sometimes sticks to his line a bit (in my opinion anyway) but otherwise, like American Express, "that'll do nicely"! He had a tough act to follow, Daniel Bentley, who went to Brentford for £700,000.

Pip pip!

oneone73
18-02-2018, 12:19 PM
Hi there, Southend supporter here (hence the blue font)! Just thought I'd update you all on his spell down here.

Fair to say he got off to a shaky start but this season has been all you'd want. A decent 'keeper for us, we're all well pleased with him. He sometimes sticks to his line a bit (in my opinion anyway) but otherwise, like American Express, "that'll do nicely"! He had a tough act to follow, Daniel Bentley, who went to Brentford for £700,000.

Pip pip!

Good to hear. Thanks for posting.

KWJ
18-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Cheers Rob. Liked the Ox but we needed am upgrade, he was a bit unlucky to be overshadowed by Rochdale's polar bear in run up to the final.

Seemed a good bloke, good luck for season run in.

greenlex
18-02-2018, 12:24 PM

Pip pip!

Has he scored yet?

Dashing Bob S
18-02-2018, 12:38 PM

Pip pip!

Pleased the Ox is doing well. Met him once and he was a delightful chap. Decent shot stopper, not great at coming off his line, as you say.

matty_f
18-02-2018, 12:43 PM
I hope he does really well for you. Was a much better keeper than some gave him credit for, and a good guy to have around as well.

MWHIBBIES
18-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Was a solid keeper and still young, didn't deserve half the abuse he took. Glad he is doing well.

Souter96Mac
18-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Pleased the Ox is doing well. Met him once and he was a delightful chap. Decent shot stopper, not great at coming off his line, as you say.

He always seemed a nice guy and a good laugh on outside the box. But I never remembered him saving that many shots, it seemed that whenever we had a shot against us it would go in. Maybe harsh but we've improved big time with Ofir

overdrive
18-02-2018, 12:58 PM
He always seemed a nice guy and a good laugh on outside the box. But I never remembered him saving that many shots, it seemed that whenever we had a shot against us it would go in. Maybe harsh but we've improved big time with Ofir

I think his ‘problem’ was that he did the basics very well, except maybe for cross balls. He rarely made a total arse of anything (he will have on the odd occasion, all keepers do) but equally I can’t really remember him making too many outstanding match winning saves.

The_Horde
18-02-2018, 12:59 PM
Zero shot stopping ability particularly with the high shots. Could not catch a cross. He could kick a ball far though and a good lad in the changing room but sounds like he's found his level, good luck to him.

My_Wife_Camille
18-02-2018, 01:09 PM
A poor goalkeeper who struggled at Championship level and would have been an absolute nightmare in the Premiership, assuming we would have even been promoted with him in goals.

He made just as many howlers as Malkowski but was somewhat fortunate that they weren’t really in such high profile games and are more likely to be forgotten as a result (as can be evidenced from this thread already).

I think its telling that the one game that people constantly bring up when trying to prove that he was a good keeper is the 4-0 game against Rangers when they didn’t even register a single shot on target.

He’s a young keeper with time on his side and he played a part in the cup run so I hope he does well for himself. I also don’t agree with the people saying he was bad at crosses, I actually thought that was the one thing he was pretty reliable at.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Pip pip!

Is The Cornucopia pub still open in Southend? Must be the smallest pub I've ever been in.

Danderhall Hibs
18-02-2018, 01:18 PM
There’s no danger he made as many errors as Malkowski. Not even close. No one touches Malkowski in that respect.

RCNG
18-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Had the pleasure of meeting him at a charity do once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

Northernhibee
18-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Zero shot stopping ability is bollocks. He let the boo boys get to him but he had a number of very good games, one at Ibrox in particular.

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2018, 01:36 PM
He was bang average, stayed on his line too much for me, and as someone else said, he seemed to let too many shots in that you would think he maybe should have done better.

We have an upgrade now, and i personally don't think we'd have won the semi final if he'd been between the sticks instead of big Conrad.

Oxley is still young enough to hopefully improve though, but i just think we needed better and i always go back to folk saying here, that we won't get much better than Oxley, or Williams before that.

Well we have, and there are better keepers out there in our price range, a good manager will find them.

Spent many a weekend in Southend when i lived in St Albans, we always seemed to end up in the hole in the wall. :greengrin

Northernhibee
18-02-2018, 01:37 PM
He was bang average, stayed on his line too much for me, and as someone else said, he seemed to let too many shots in that you would think he maybe should have done better.

We have an upgrade now, and i personally don't think we'd have won the semi final if he'd been between the sticks instead of big Conrad.

Oxley is still young enough to hopefully improve though, but i just think we needed better and i always go back to folk saying here, that we won't get much better than Oxley, or Williams before that.

Well we have, and there are better keepers out there in our price range, a good manager will find them.

Spent many a weekend in Southend when i lived in St Albans, we always seemed to end up in the hole in the wall. :greengrin

Until we replaced our GK coach with Marcella Ben Williams was every bit as good as Marciano. Another player Butcher ruined.

WestStandWillie
18-02-2018, 01:41 PM
Had the pleasure of meeting him at a charity do once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

My pal met him at the poty bash and said similar. Good egg but a bit suspect in the sticks.

tamig
18-02-2018, 01:41 PM
Until we replaced our GK coach with Marcella Ben Williams was every bit as good as Marciano. Another player Butcher ruined.

Williams for me was the best keeper we’d had in years. But that was following on from some absolute horrors. I’d say big Ben was no more than average in the bigger scheme of things. Marciano is far superior.

Pretty Boy
18-02-2018, 01:50 PM
He was a decent enough keeper for the level we were at. Made the odd mistake but was generally steady without ever really being outstanding.

I'm glad he's doing well where he is now. We've improved in that area and it sounds like he may have improved as well. A win win really.

SirDavidsNapper
18-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Decent keeper. Seems a good guy and dont have a bad word to say about him. Always tried his best. Once a Hibee..

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2018, 01:59 PM

Not for me, Williams was a good shot stopper and for a while seemed to save every penalty he faced too, but he was another dracula who just couldnt go near a cross, and caused real confusion at times with his defense.

Saying that he did have some huddys in front of him.

Northernhibee
18-02-2018, 02:04 PM
I remember his communication being good. Unfortunately he had Stephens, O'Hanlon, McPake etc who had no idea about positioning which left him exposed.

leither17
18-02-2018, 02:08 PM

I got it mate

NAE NOOKIE
18-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Pleased to hear he is doing well .... it is possible for players to go up or down when they move on and perhaps the Ox has improved since he left us.... he wasn't terrible at ER but there certainly was room for improvement.

His lost contact lens at Inverness caused a chain of events that turned Conrad Logan into a Hibs legend after he chose to have the game of his life in the Scottish cup semi final .... funny how things work out :greengrin

Northernhibee
18-02-2018, 02:17 PM
Pleased to hear he is doing well .... it is possible for players to go up or down when they move on and perhaps the Ox has improved since he left us.... he wasn't terrible at ER but there certainly was room for improvement.

His lost contact lens at Inverness caused a chain of events that turned Conrad Logan into a Hibs legend after he chose to have the game of his life in the Scottish cup semi final .... funny how things work out :greengrin

The entire Scottish cup run would make an incredible movie.

Smartie
18-02-2018, 02:29 PM
I liked him, decent solid keeper.

Rarely made world class saves but rarely made any howlers - which puts him ahead of most of our keepers over the past 20 years.

We had a lot of big games against Rangers, Hearts and Premier League teams in the cup when he was with us - and he never let us down in the big games.

Didn't deserve any of the stick he got - glad to hear he's doing well.

sleeping giant
18-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Part of the legendary cup winning squad.
Good luck to him

My_Wife_Camille
18-02-2018, 02:33 PM
I’m genuinely baffled at the amount of folk who keep coming out with the “He never had many howlers” line.

I can only assume it they’ve been forgotten about over time as they came in fairly low profile games.

Big_Franck
18-02-2018, 02:56 PM
I remember his communication being good. Unfortunately he had Stephens, O'Hanlon, McPake etc who had no idea about positioning which left him exposed.

Oxley didnt play with any of those defenders. They had all left by the time Oxley signed in 2014.

I thought he was bang average and that we shouldnt have signed him after his year on loan. Seemed a good lad though and he played his part in our cup run so wish him all the best.

MWHIBBIES
18-02-2018, 02:59 PM
I’m genuinely baffled at the amount of folk who keep coming out with the “He never had many howlers” line.

I can only assume it they’ve been forgotten about over time as they came in fairly low profile games.You trolling/talking nonsense is the safer assumption.

Smartie
18-02-2018, 02:59 PM

I can only assume it they’ve been forgotten about over time as they came in fairly low profile games.

I genuinely can't remember many.

One stinker on the dodgy pitch at Alloa but that's it.

And he never had one in a big game.

eastterrace
18-02-2018, 03:24 PM

He should have saved the shot from ozturk in the derby, straight down his throat .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
18-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Oxley didnt play with any of those defenders. They had all left by the time Oxley signed in 2014.

I thought he was bang average and that we shouldnt have signed him after his year on loan. Seemed a good lad though and he played his part in our cup run so wish him all the best.

I was talking about Ben Williams.

GlesgaeHibby
18-02-2018, 03:32 PM
I liked him, decent solid keeper.

Rarely made world class saves but rarely made any howlers - which puts him ahead of most of our keepers over the past 20 years.

We had a lot of big games against Rangers, Hearts and Premier League teams in the cup when he was with us - and he never let us down in the big games.

Didn't deserve any of the stick he got - glad to hear he's doing well.

Rarely made any saves, but rarely made any howlers.

My_Wife_Camille
18-02-2018, 03:44 PM

The Alloa one is one. Howlers at home to Rangers twice, Falkirk and Morton also spring to kind along with two obvious ones away to Raith and Dumbarton.

That’s 6 howlers off the top of my head. Like I say, those saying he rarely made must have forgotten due to the games being of a lower profile. Also fair to note that Championship games didn’t get the same TV coverage as we’re used to so people not at the games might never have seen them at all.

Those are only the obvious ones, there’s plenty more contentious ones that can be fairly argued either way

we are hibs
18-02-2018, 03:59 PM
The Alloa one is one. Howlers at home to Rangers twice, Falkirk and Morton also spring to kind along with two obvious ones away to Raith and Dumbarton.

That’s 6 howlers off the top of my head. Like I say, those saying he rarely made must have forgotten due to the games being of a lower profile. Also fair to note that Championship games didn’t get the same TV coverage as we’re used to so people not at the games might never have seen them at all.

Those are only the obvious ones, there’s plenty more contentious ones that can be fairly argued either way

Beaten by a tavernier freekick at Ibrox too from an angle he should never have been beaten from. Marciano Has been a massive upgrade

Borderhibbie76
18-02-2018, 04:00 PM
Zero shot stopping ability particularly with the high shots. Could not catch a cross. He could kick a ball far though and a good lad in the changing room but sounds like he's found his level, good luck to him.Harsh and really no need TBH

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My_Wife_Camille
18-02-2018, 04:05 PM
Beaten by a tavernier freekick at Ibrox too from an angle he should never have been beaten from. Marciano Has been a massive upgrade
I agree with that completely but one I’ve filed under ‘fair debate’ along with the Ozturk goal, Lewis MacLeod for Rangers in the Petriefac Cup and others.

He was particularly poor in dealing with shots from distance. The number of long range efforts we conceded with Oxley in goals was far too high to just be coincidence and he had an awful habit of positioning himself far to close to his near post.

hibeerealist
18-02-2018, 04:10 PM
A

A number of folk with short memories or just thought Ox was the biz, he may well be a very nice guy and respect for being a squad member of our cup winning team but am I glad he is not in goals now. I used to S h I t myself every time the ball went near him sorry Ox wish you well mate but pleased to see the back of you!

Northernhibee
18-02-2018, 04:30 PM
He should have saved the shot from ozturk in the derby, straight down his throat .

No it wasn't, right over his head :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ddw_eY87kM

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-02-2018, 04:31 PM

Proper slap in the chops if true! :-)

calumhibee1
18-02-2018, 04:43 PM
Seemed like a decent guy and people claiming things like the Tavernier free kick at Ibrox were "howlers" are at it. Should have done better, yes, but definitely not a howler. Probably not good enough for us as he just seemed to be one of these goalies that didn't do a lot obviously wrong but there must have been something as he didn't save much. Glad to hear he's doing well and hopefully he keeps on improving.

My_Wife_Camille
18-02-2018, 05:11 PM
Seemed like a decent guy and people claiming things like the Tavernier free kick at Ibrox were "howlers" are at it. Should have done better, yes, but definitely not a howler. Probably not good enough for us as he just seemed to be one of these goalies that didn't do a lot obviously wrong but there must have been something as he didn't save much. Glad to hear he's doing well and hopefully he keeps on improving.
The point I’m making is that the Tavernier and Ozturk ones weren’t out and out howlers necessarily. My opinion is that he was at fault but think there is enough fair points on the other side to say that both have a fair case.

Im also saying though that even if you were to totally discount those and go as far to say that they were in fact 100% not his fault at all, there are still at least 6 other clear cut shockers that he had that shouldn’t even be up for debate.

I’ve given 6 example of where he has made very obvious howlers that were every bit as bad as Malkowski produced yet people are still coming on here saying he didn’t do an awful lot wrong. I can genuinely only assume they either didn’t see them or have forgotten because they weren’t against Hearts.

If anyone was to give an example of any of Malkowski’s shockers then there’s an Oxley one that’s comparable if not near identical

Danderhall Hibs
18-02-2018, 05:31 PM
Malkowski was a bomb scare - you’re using examples of great strikes (Tavernier) to day he was as bad.

Decent attempt at a wind up but you’ve taken it a step too far for most now - we can see through it.

we are hibs
18-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Malkowski was a bomb scare - you’re using examples of great strikes (Tavernier) to day he was as bad.

Decent attempt at a wind up but you’ve taken it a step too far for most now - we can see through it.

Saying mark oxley was a poor goalkeeper is not a wind up, it's a fact.

IGRIGI
18-02-2018, 05:40 PM
I'm sorry but if you think Oxley is anywhere near as bad as Zibi you need to lay off the smack.

eezyrider
18-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Oxley was a solid enough goalkeeper. He didn't have many howlers that I can think of - though the one against Rangers still sticks in my mind. We still won 3-2 :flag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnzN5UGFzYs

He'll always be remembered for this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfnTEH8H7wQ

EZ

Pretty Boy
18-02-2018, 05:57 PM
Oxley was a solid enough goalkeeper. He didn't have many howlers that I can think of - though the one against Rangers still sticks in my mind. We still won 3-2 :flag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnzN5UGFzYs

He'll always be remembered for this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfnTEH8H7wQ

EZ

That one against Rangers was a tough one for Oxley. It was right after Logans heroics in the semi final and just after Stubbs had stated 'Mark in my number 1' and it put him under real pressure.

Folk tend to forget, understandably so to some extent, that Logan was quite possibly at fault for Raiths goal in the away leg of the 1st play off round and definitely for Falkirks late goal in the home leg of the semi. The Dundee Utd game and the fact he started in the final paint a rosy picture. Tbh I'm quite happy both Oxley and Logan have moved on.

Iggy Pope
18-02-2018, 06:00 PM
That one against Rangers was a tough one for Oxley. It was right after Logans heroics in the semi final and just after Stubbs had stated 'Mark in my number 1' and it put him under real pressure.

Folk tend to forget, understandably so to some extent, that Logan was quite possibly at fault for Raiths goal in the away leg of the 1st play off round and definitely for Falkirks late goal in the home leg of the semi. The Dundee Utd game and the fact he started in the final paint a rosy picture. Tbh I'm quite happy both Oxley and Logan have moved on.

No **** Sherlock.

My_Wife_Camille
18-02-2018, 06:01 PM

I’m not doing that at all. I’m saying the Tavernier ones are a fair argument. I have an opinion but accept it’s not a clear cut case so haven’t included them.

None of the 6 howlers I am talking about however were anything close to great strikes.

Once again, if someone wants to give me an example of a Malkowski mistake I’ll give you an Oxley one that was just as bad.

Nobody seems to want to do that though. I wonder why?

My_Wife_Camille
18-02-2018, 06:04 PM
I'm sorry but if you think Oxley is anywhere near as bad as Zibi you need to lay off the smack.
And another one. Show me a Malkowski howler and I’ll show you an equally bad Oxley one.

Malkowski was awful but the fact his mistakes were against Hearts distorts the picture somewhat.

Pretty Boy
18-02-2018, 06:07 PM
No **** Sherlock.

Well yes but my point was about perception.

Pro rata Logan probably had as many 'howlers' as Oxley, one of them very costly, but the way they are both viewed is entirely different.

Danderhall Hibs
18-02-2018, 06:09 PM
I’m not doing that at all. I’m saying the Tavernier ones are a fair argument. I have an opinion but accept it’s not a clear cut case so haven’t included them.

None of the 6 howlers I am talking about however were anything close to great strikes.

Once again, if someone wants to give me an example of a Malkowski mistake I’ll give you an Oxley one that was just as bad.

Nobody seems to want to do that though. I wonder why?

Cos we’re not biting. If you’ve forgotten how bad Malkowski then I’m happy for you. I’m a long way from forgetting him.

My_Wife_Camille
18-02-2018, 06:11 PM

Pro rata Logan probably had as many 'howlers' as Oxley, one of them very costly, but the way they are both viewed is entirely different.
This is true but the Raith one (which I agree with you on) is exactly the kind of goal that Oxley wouldn’t be blamed for. There’s certainly enough examples of Oxley being beaten in similar circumstances that nobody would blame him for. If we’re counting those then Oxleys ‘Howler’ count probably more than doubles immediately

Iggy Pope
18-02-2018, 06:12 PM

Over analysed.

My_Wife_Camille
18-02-2018, 06:13 PM
Cos we’re not biting. If you’ve forgotten how bad Malkowski then I’m happy for you. I’m a long way from forgetting him.
You see I just think that it’s because you know fine well that Oxley has made a number of mistakes that are at the very least just as bad as anything that Malkowski did and it’s easier to say you’re not biting than to accept it

if I was just at the wind up then surely it would be easy enough to prove me
wrong?

Also, it’s ironic that you imply that I’ve forgotten how bad Malkowski was when (IIRC) you were the person who admitted that they couldn’t remember the Oxley mistakes and so they didn’t count.

Pretty Boy
18-02-2018, 06:19 PM
Over analysed.

Probably but I still think it's accurate.

I also agree with MWC to the extent that Zibi is perceived in a worse light because of the games his mistakes came in. I remember him having many very good games for Hibs. I was at the 0-3 Sproule game at Ibrox, actually there as opposed to the 10K who now claim to have been there, and he was outstanding that day. Likewise he was very good in the 'unbeatable' derby.

jeffers
18-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Nice guy, dreadful keeper. Always felt any half decent shot against him would end up in the net. Ozturk's shot was a v good effort but still think Oxley should have stopped it, looked straight over his head to me. If he jumped instead of just sticking a hand up he would have reached it.

I wish him all the best, but glad he's gone. While Marciano has had a few bad games this season in general he's far better than Oxley. Clearly NL didn't think Oxley was up to much as he was quick to get rid of him.

Danderhall Hibs
18-02-2018, 06:31 PM
You see I just think that it’s because you know fine well that Oxley has made a number of mistakes that are at the very least just as bad as anything that Malkowski did and it’s easier to say you’re not biting than to accept it

if I was just at the wind up then surely it would be easy enough to prove me
wrong?

Also, it’s ironic that you imply that I’ve forgotten how bad Malkowski was when (IIRC) you were the person who admitted that they couldn’t remember the Oxley mistakes and so they didn’t count.

You could say it’s ironic, or you could say if I can remember 10+ years ago but not 2 years ago then maybe they weren’t as bad,

Get some videos of “all” the blunders and some comparisons can be done if the Malkowski stuff is still available.

In fact I find this debate a bit tiring - you won’t change your mind so theres no point - iirc we left this debate last time on the fact you didn’t like him cos he had a beard and drank coffee. :hilarious

My_Wife_Camille
18-02-2018, 06:37 PM
You could say it’s ironic, or you could say if I can remember 10+ years ago but not 2 years ago then maybe they weren’t as bad,

Get some videos of “all” the blunders and some comparisons can be done if the Malkowski stuff is still available.

In fact I find this debate a bit tiring - you won’t change your mind so theres no point - iirc we left this debate last time on the fact you didn’t like him cos he had a beard and drank coffee. :hilarious
Imo you can’t remember them because they weren’t against Hearts so weren’t as memorable.

Anyway, my offer stands. If anybody wants to show me a Malkowski blunder I’ll show you an Oxley one that’s just as bad.

I also have no idea what your beard and coffee comment is about btw

SirDavidsNapper
18-02-2018, 06:38 PM
We have had far worse keepers than Oxley.

lapsedhibee
18-02-2018, 06:39 PM
Anyway, my offer stands. If anybody wants to show me a Malkowski blunder I’ll show you a Malkowski one that’s just as bad.

But did he ever make exactly the same blunder twice?

erin go bragh
18-02-2018, 06:40 PM
Scottish cup winning keeper but still getting stick from some . You have to laugh 😂
Good to hear the Ox is doing well . 🏆

Iggy Pope
18-02-2018, 06:58 PM
Probably but I still think it's accurate.

I also agree with MWC to the extent that Zibi is perceived in a worse light because of the games his mistakes came in. I remember him having many very good games for Hibs. I was at the 0-3 Sproule game at Ibrox, actually there as opposed to the 10K who now claim to have been there, and he was outstanding that day. Likewise he was very good in the 'unbeatable' derby.

I was indeed at both these games (no medals) and until now have not thought about our goalkeepers performance at any stage. Neither game had anything to do with Mark Oxley. He'd be about 9 years old. Over analysed, like I said. All sounds like a lot of goalie pish to me.

The_Horde
18-02-2018, 07:11 PM

Stubbs putting pressure on him should have nowt to do with it. That's where you find out who the real men are and if he's chucked one in after that then he wasn't good enough. Rocky has had plenty pressure moments so far and always comes out of the other side with chest puffed out. That's the difference.

Same goes with players like Alex Harris. If one tackle turned him into what he became then he never had it.

bigwheel
18-02-2018, 08:25 PM

Pip pip!

A bit surprised to hear that but pleased that he is doing well...the biggest issue I had with Oxley was he rarely actually saved anything. Didn't make a lot of mistakes..very few actually..but rarely saved many shots either...and certainly few game savers...

Lancs Harp
18-02-2018, 08:38 PM
I wish Mark well, he wasnt the worse keeper in the world thats for sure but even at Championship level thought it was an area we needed improving on. Glad he seems to be doing well at Southend but equally, if not more happy, we have moved on and IMO we now have better.

Spike Mandela
18-02-2018, 08:51 PM
Great respect for Oxley.

He played a valuable part in out cup run, playing 5 games to the Polar bear’s 2, including a clean sheet against the Hearts at ER on that great night. He lost his place and had to sit and watch a new guy live the dream in two dramatic games as we lifted the cup but like Bartley he didn’t sulk and remained a valuable and motivating part of the squad and deserved his place on the open top bus.

Great to hear he is doing well.

Borderhibbie76
18-02-2018, 10:09 PM

Folk tend to forget, understandably so to some extent, that Logan was quite possibly at fault for Raiths goal in the away leg of the 1st play off round and definitely for Falkirks late goal in the home leg of the semi. The Dundee Utd game and the fact he started in the final paint a rosy picture. Tbh I'm quite happy both Oxley and Logan have moved on.Your bang on about Conrad and the play offs mate...rightly overshadowed by his cup heroics but he was at fault in both the raith and Falkirk play off ties. Had that been Oxley...he'd still be getting pelters on here now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My_Wife_Camille
18-02-2018, 11:14 PM
From a similar angle as the Hartley free kick against Malkowski too it should be noted. Only difference is one was near post and one was far post. Don’t see how one can be a blunder if the other isn’t.

angus hibby
18-02-2018, 11:21 PM
Great respect for Oxley.

He played a valuable part in out cup run, playing 5 games to the Polar bear’s 2, including a clean sheet against the Hearts at ER on that great night. He lost his place and had to sit and watch a new guy live the dream in two dramatic games as we lifted the cup but like Bartley he didn’t sulk and remained a valuable and motivating part of the squad and deserved his place on the open top bus.

Great to hear he is doing well.

Spot on. From watching the Cup DVD, it’s very clear Oxley was very popular with team mates, and a great guy to have around the place. He was a good goalkeeper, not the best we’ve had, but also not the worst.

Great to hear he is doing well at Southend.

The_Horde
18-02-2018, 11:22 PM
From a similar angle as the Hartley free kick against Malkowski too it should be noted. Only difference is one was near post and one was far post. Don’t see how one can be a blunder if the other isn’t.

Just watched it on that youtube. Try telling Fontaine he didn't make an arse of it..

angus hibby
18-02-2018, 11:32 PM

The same Marciano that was beaten at his near post from a free kick in last seasons semi final against Aberdeen?

I’m not slagging Marciano by the way, think he’s a very good keeper and yes, I think he’s better than Oxley but just pointing out he has mistakes in him too.

O'Rourke3
18-02-2018, 11:55 PM
The same Marciano that was beaten at his near post from a free kick in last seasons semi final against Aberdeen?

I’m not slagging Marciano by the way, think he’s a very good keeper and yes, I think he’s better than Oxley but just pointing out he has mistakes in him too.When Marciano's wall ran away from the ball? The wall is here for a reason.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

My_Wife_Camille
18-02-2018, 11:58 PM
Just watched it on that youtube. Try telling Fontaine he didn't make an arse of it..
Very interesting. No doubt Fontaine is just one of the boo boys who was using Oxley as a scapegoat though...

The_Horde
19-02-2018, 12:31 AM
When Marciano's wall ran away from the ball? The wall is here for a reason.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Very similar to malkowski in that semi vs Hartley. Marciano is no better than zibby.

matty_f
19-02-2018, 01:12 AM
Very similar to malkowski in that semi vs Hartley. Marciano is no better than zibby.

Put that fishing rod away now, there's nobody taking that bait. :greengrin

TelaStella
19-02-2018, 02:27 AM
I was never convinced personally but wish him all the best nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevie Reid
19-02-2018, 11:44 AM
Oxley is one of four players who spring to mind when it comes to some of the most bizarre debates on Hibs.net:

Oxley: in my eyes, he was fine for us, certainly wasn't perfect but the amount of posters who claimed (and some clearly still do) that he was awful was truly perplexing.

Malonga: as far as I'm concerned he was a joy to watch, and a footballer I'm delighted to have seen play for us. Given that he was an out of window signing as a replacement for El Al Agui who was injured when we were at our lowest ebb in years (having lost away at Alloa, our third defeat in a row, and third from our first four games in the Championship), he was great for us, and most importantly, scored a lot of goals. Delivered in the big games also. Amazed that so many didn't like or rate him.

Barker: my opinion of him is that he is an absolute joy to watch. People of this board have cried out for a"pacey wide man" for many years, and I really don't see how we could have signed a better one within our budget. If we had signed Lewis Morgan and he delivered the performances that Barker has, I firmly believe that people would rave about him - same goes if he were a product of our own youth system, instead of Man City's. I know that there are plenty on here who do appreciate him, but I'm truly perplexed at how many don't at all.

Isaiah Osbourne: possibly the most curious debate of all. I watched Osbourne in every home game he played at ER, and I saw each one pass him by - he never imposed himself on any of them. I believe that he had a couple of good games away from ER when he was here, but I missed those - regardless, that return from the 35 matches (one goal) that he played for us, was very disappointing. I was delighted when Blackpool came in and gave us money for him, but there was a huge debate when he left, with many posters insisting that he had somehow been excellent for us.

My_Wife_Camille
19-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Oxley is one of four players who spring to mind when it comes to some of the most bizarre debates on Hibs.net:

Oxley: in my eyes, he was fine for us, certainly wasn't perfect but the amount of posters who claimed (and some clearly still do) that he was awful was truly perplexing.

Malonga: as far as I'm concerned he was a joy to watch, and a footballer I'm delighted to have seen play for us. Given that he was an out of window signing as a replacement for El Al Agui who was injured when we were at our lowest ebb in years (having lost away at Alloa, our third defeat in a row, and third from our first four games in the Championship), he was great for us, and most importantly, scored a lot of goals. Delivered in the big games also. Amazed that so many didn't like or rate him.

Barker: my opinion of him is that he is an absolute joy to watch. People of this board have cried out for a"pacey wide man" for many years, and I really don't see how we could have signed a better one within our budget. If we had signed Lewis Morgan and he delivered the performances that Barker has, I firmly believe that people would rave about him - same goes if he were a product of our own youth system, instead of Man City's. I know that there are plenty on here who do appreciate him, but I'm truly perplexed at how many don't at all.

Isaiah Osbourne: possibly the most curious debate of all. I watched Osbourne in every home game he played at ER, and I saw each one pass him by - he never imposed himself on any of them. I believe that he had a couple of good games away from ER when he was here, but I missed those - regardless, that return from the 35 matches (one goal) that he played for us, was very disappointing. I was delighted when Blackpool came in and gave us money for him, but there was a huge debate when he left, with many posters insisting that he had somehow been excellent for us.

Is this not what makes football so great though? I agree 110% with you on Malonga, Barker and Osbourne but find the fact that people seem to have forgotten/ignored/never even noticed the number of blunders that Oxley made completely mind boggling. Especially when many of them were near like for like with those that Malkowski committed

GaryOsCheerios
19-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Was solid if unspectacular. Glad hes doing well.http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

The_Horde
19-02-2018, 11:57 AM
Put that fishing rod away now, there's nobody taking that bait. :greengrin

Wasn't intended as a bait at all. Was a light hearted joke aimed towards MWC.

He seemed to hate Oxley.

My_Wife_Camille
19-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Wasn't intended as a bait at all. Was a light hearted joke aimed towards MWC.

He seemed to hate Oxley.
Trolling people on the internet. Feels like I’ve gone back to a time when that was funny and new

CropleyWasGod
19-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Irrespective of whether Oxley was a decent keeper or not, his contact lens deserves a place of its own in the Hibs Museum..............

Smartie
19-02-2018, 01:16 PM

I agree with every word of this.

The only thing I'd add is that I seem to remember Osbourne having an absolute blinder at East End Park once - and thinking "if only he could play like that every week".

Sauzee16
19-02-2018, 01:20 PM
Good luck Mark Oxley hibs legend.

Sauzee16
19-02-2018, 01:21 PM
I agree with every word of this.

The only thing I'd add is that I seem to remember Osbourne having an absolute blinder at East End Park once - and thinking "if only he could play like that every week".
We won 4-1 that day it was freezing and GOC and Ivan played up top I think. IO was amazing.

overdrive
19-02-2018, 01:21 PM
Irrespective of whether Oxley was a decent keeper or not, his contact lens deserves a place of its own in the Hibs Museum..............

Ironically, the one-time he wasn't time wasting he got booked for time wasting. His love of time wasting even when not necessary was my biggest frustration about him.

My_Wife_Camille
19-02-2018, 01:46 PM
We won 4-1 that day it was freezing and GOC and Ivan played up top I think. IO was amazing.
Dont think Osbourne played in a 4-1 win over there

matty_f
19-02-2018, 01:58 PM

:greengrin I agree with all that bar Osbourne - I thought he did a good job at breaking play up (like Bartley or Claros, but not as good).

Sauzee16
19-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Dont think Osbourne played in a 4-1 win over there
Of course, you are correct.

This game http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/16453343.stm in between the 4-1 home game and the GOC God can judge one :aok:

The_Horde
21-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Had a think last night and I can remember a few errors from Oxley.

First and most rotten one was against nade at Dumbarton when he came flying out for a cross, with defenders there and nade headed it in.

Second is against rangers at home when waghorn somehow put the ball across/under him despite him getting a hand to it.

Third rangers again in the 3-2 game where foderingham also made a howler and gundo scored the winner

Fourth alloa when it slipped through his arms

Fifth a spill at home to falkirk in the cup winning season and Baird (i think) tapped in

Sixth was again away at dumbarton.. A low shot spilled and tapped in in very similar fashion to the above

I'm 100% sure there's more than a few where he's stupidly beaten at his near post and others where he was almost diving in slow motion but my memory is beating me.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 12:27 PM
Had a think last night and I can remember a few errors from Oxley.

First and most rotten one was against nade at Dumbarton when he came flying out for a cross, with defenders there and nade headed it in.

Second is against rangers at home when waghorn somehow put the ball across/under him despite him getting a hand to it.

Third rangers again in the 3-2 game where foderingham also made a howler and gundo scored the winner

Fourth alloa when it slipped through his arms

Fifth a spill at home to falkirk in the cup winning season and Baird (i think) tapped in

Sixth was again away at dumbarton.. A low shot spilled and tapped in in very similar fashion to the above

I'm 100% sure there's more than a few where he's stupidly beaten at his near post and others where he was almost diving in slow motion but my memory is beating me.

I also remember Morton at home where he palmed a low cross straight to the feet of the attacker to score an open goal.

Also one at home to Alloa where the striker hit a side footed volley straight at him. All he had to do was stand and catch it but he fumbled it and it went in.

I make that 8 blunders so far and there’s probably more. Not bad for a keeper who didn’t make many mistakes

Ryan69
21-02-2018, 01:30 PM
He must also have one of the worst shot to save average theres ever been at Hibs.

Teams seemed tobe getting 1 or 2 shots....and scoring 1 or 2 goals.

Seemed like a descent guy though...so happy hes found his level.

Shrekko
21-02-2018, 01:38 PM

Anyone that leaves Hibs is on the descent IMO.

easty
21-02-2018, 01:48 PM
He must also have one of the worst shot to save average theres ever been at Hibs.

Teams seemed tobe getting 1 or 2 shots....and scoring 1 or 2 goals.

I think that was the point/argument I hated most when Oxley was here.

It doesn't really matter if there was only 1 or 2 shots...they're either save-able, or they aren't. If we're limiting teams to 1 or 2 chances, and they're taking those chances well, it doesn't automatically mean the keepers been poor.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 02:00 PM

It doesn't really matter if there was only 1 or 2 shots...they're either save-able, or they aren't. If we're limiting teams to 1 or 2 chances, and they're taking those chances well, it doesn't automatically mean the keepers been poor.
Maybe not as a one off or on the odd occasions but when it becomes a noticeable pattern over the course of 2 years then at the very least it’s worth a discussion.

easty
21-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Maybe not as a one off or on the odd occasions but when it becomes a noticeable pattern over the course of 2 years then at the very least it’s worth a discussion.

No it doesn't. It's only worth a discussion if he's at fault. If he's not at fault the discussion is utterly pointless.

kentao
21-02-2018, 02:19 PM
How many points did Oxley win us?

I cant think of any. The best thing he ever done for Hibs was losing his contact lens to miss the Dundee United game.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 02:32 PM
No it doesn't. It's only worth a discussion if he's at fault. If he's not at fault the discussion is utterly pointless.
How do we decide if he’s at fault without having the discussion is what I’m getting at.

If if it happens as often as it did maybe it was more than just a bit of bad luck. Maybe he is, as suspected, just a big honking jobby as a goalkeeper

Smartie
21-02-2018, 03:39 PM
I always felt pretty safe with Oxley in the big games against Hearts and Rangers.

He did a lot of routine - fairly difficult stuff well. Caught crosses, held onto fairly firm shots that were fairly close to him. His positioning was generally pretty good. That puts him ahead of at least 50% of our goalkeepers in the last 15 years.

I honestly don't remember most of the games being spoken about here (I think the sooner we get much of our latest adventure out of our memories the better tbh) and I honestly don't look back and remember loads of Oxley gaffes, but equally I don't remember many great saves.

I remember him being fairly solid, if unspectacular.

I quite like who we currently have though.

My_Wife_Camille
21-02-2018, 03:45 PM
I always felt pretty safe with Oxley in the big games against Hearts and Rangers.

He did a lot of routine - fairly difficult stuff well. Caught crosses, held onto fairly firm shots that were fairly close to him. His positioning was generally pretty good. That puts him ahead of at least 50% of our goalkeepers in the last 15 years.

I honestly don't remember most of the games being spoken about here (I think the sooner we get much of our latest adventure out of our memories the better tbh) and I honestly don't look back and remember loads of Oxley gaffes but equally I don't remember many great saves.

I remember him being fairly solid, if unspectacular.

I quite like who we currently have though.
Promise this isn’t a dig at you but this seems to be the reason people think Oxley was fairly solid. Another poster further up gave 6 examples of clear gaffes and I have another two but the common theme is that people simply don’t remember them.

Imo if Oxley had made the exact same clangers in games against Hearts he would be getting nowhere near the same backing.

Smartie
21-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Promise this isn’t a dig at you but this seems to be the reason people think Oxley was fairly solid. Another poster further up gave 6 examples of clear gaffes and I have another two but the common theme is that people simply don’t remember them.

Imo if Oxley had made the exact same clangers in games against Hearts he would be getting nowhere near the same backing.

I think I am in many ways agreeing with you.

The point has been made that Zibi actually had a number of very good games for us, which he did. He saved his worst mistakes, his worst performances and a wee wave for games against Hearts and that is what people will remember.

I remember Oxley letting in a stinker at Alloa, and that's the only one bad enough to stick in my memory (probably because so many of the games were forgettable).

We needed to win every game when we were in the first division so it didn't really matter whether gaffes came in the wee games rather than the big ones.

But now we're in the premier again - if a goalkeeper is going to have the odd howler, I'd rather they weren't against Hearts or at Ibrox. It is good to go into big games with confidence in your keeper (we clearly differ in our opinions as to whether or not Oxley merited confidence going into those games).

IGRIGI
21-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Zibi can be summed up by the fact that when Hearts fans started to mock him by signing "Zibi Zibi give us a wave" he actually gave a wave.

That performance against Hearts in the semi final drubbing was the worst performance I've ever seen in a Hibs shirt, and no matter how bad a player plays they will always be one level above that ****.

Ryan69
21-02-2018, 04:05 PM

He probably conceded more goals than actual saves he made though....so it is a point!

Hibee Mac
21-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Oxley was gash. Never had any confidence with him between the sticks, I'd take big Conrad, Laidlaw and Marciano over him every day of the week.

angus hibby
21-02-2018, 07:25 PM
Oxley was gash. Never had any confidence with him between the sticks, I'd take big Conrad, Laidlaw and Marciano over him every day of the week.

Logan is rightly remembered fondly because of the semi final. Made a few mistakes in games after that and it should be noted that Oxley is currently playing in a higher league than Logan.