PDA

View Full Version : The front 2

we are hibs
17-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Linked up excellently today. Both hard workers, both bring each other into play, kamberi took his two goals so far really well, Maclaren will score a few with the situations he gets himself into once he's fully sharp. I know people where saying Murray and stokes linked up well during the betfred cup at the start of the season but you get the feeling these two have a very good understanding already.

SouthMoroccoStu
17-02-2018, 06:59 PM
If it wasn’t for the Aberdeen keeper having a great game, Maclaren could easily have had a hat trick

Not criticising him, there’s certainly goals in him

hibbysam
17-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Linked up excellently today. Both hard workers, both bring each other into play, kamberi took his two goals so far really well, Maclaren will score a few with the situations he gets himself into once he's fully sharp. I know people where saying Murray and stokes linked up well during the betfred cup at the start of the season but you get the feeling these two have a very good understanding already.

I thought first half Kamberi struggled, no touch and a bit of a headless chicken. He then turned full circle and was excellent second half. Maclaren was busy, you can tell already what the two give us. Flo is the big strong his up type and Maclaren’s runs are excellent in behind, he just doesn’t stop and is deceptively quick as well, his finishing was off today though but I’m sure that’ll come.

thebakerboy
17-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Interesting to hear NL saying that McLaren is a better player than they thought they were getting.:greengrin

Mr White
17-02-2018, 07:04 PM
I'm confident MacLaren will come good. He hasn't played regularly for over 6 months and it looks like he's trying too hard. A couple of goals from open play and he'll relax and start playing more instinctively I reckon as he's a good striker.

Sammy7nil
17-02-2018, 07:08 PM
If it wasn’t for the Aberdeen keeper having a great game, Maclaren could easily have had a hat trick

Not criticising him, there’s certainly goals in him

MacLarens play was good his finishing was woeful, none from about six chances. Having said that I thought it was great he was in a scoring position so many times.

17-02-2018, 07:11 PM
MacLaren will probably be disappointed not to have scored today but he hit a very good shot which the keeper could only parry into the path of Boyle to nod it into the goal. This is what kick-started the excellent 2nd half performance so MacLaren gets a lot of credit for the part he played in that.

noz
17-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Jurys out for me on Mclaren, yes he works hard, but he should have scored at least one today.

Maybe Im expecting too much too soon.

wookie70
17-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Both worked very hard. I thought some of McLaren's runs were excellent but his finishing wasn't great. Hopefully it will come but it's the hardest part of football. Both look to be decent signings but still early days

MSK
17-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Jurys out for me on Mclaren, yes he works hard, but he should have scored at least one today.

Maybe Im expecting too much too soon.Its not always about scoring though, granted he should have had a couple but that aside he was a thorn in Aberdeens side today, he pestered them non stop, chased down & brought others into play, namely his strike partner Kemberi, he battered Aberdeens centre half O”Connor for much of the game & got a deserved goal. More to come from that front pairing as they get used to each other 👍

Mr White
17-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Its not always about scoring though, granted he should have had a couple but that aside he was a thorn in Aberdeens side today, he pestered them non stop, chased down & brought others into play, namely his strike partner Kemberi, he battered Aberdeens centre half O”Connor for much of the game & got a deserved goal. More to come from that front pairing as they get used to each other 👍

:agree:

SChibs
17-02-2018, 07:27 PM
McLaren works hard but I think he is an improvement on Murray. I do like Murray as a penatly box srriker though

Tobias Funke
17-02-2018, 07:37 PM
MacLarens play was good his finishing was woeful, none from about six chances. Having said that I thought it was great he was in a scoring position so many times.

His finishing wasn’t woeful. That’s far too harsh.

hibbysam
17-02-2018, 07:42 PM
His finishing wasn’t woeful. That’s far too harsh.

It was. Three one on ones and he rolled every one straight at the keeper who just kneeled down and let it hit him. He lacked confidence in front of goal whereas the rest of his game was really good.

kaimendhibs
17-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Jesus wept. We battered Aberdeen today and here is a thread with people moaning about our strikers. FFS

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
17-02-2018, 07:45 PM

Most of what he hit was on target. Keeper closed 3 down. He tried to bend one in too close to the goalie and his second attempt into he second half was well struck and Boyler had a free header. Woeful was not my view...

MyJo
17-02-2018, 08:05 PM
MacLaren looked a bit rusty and on another day could easily have got himself two or three goals but ended up firing straight at the keeper each time.

some of his runs were excellent though, always looking to get in behind the defence and getting himself in dangerous positions.

Once he's back up to speed with a few matches under his belt I can see him doing very well and developing a good partnership with Kamberi

McD
17-02-2018, 08:11 PM
Any chance we’ll be able to sign Either or both on a permanent basis?

Col2
17-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Both strikers give us more than Stokes and Murray. Kamberi is more physical than Murray leads line better. McLaren is quick and makes great runs and sits on last defender shoulder hence the offsides.

With Allan creating for them and Boyle we are likely to be more dangerous.

Pretty Boy
17-02-2018, 08:16 PM
It was great to see a pacy striker playing right on the last man and getting into positions. It's a cliche but his movement looked decent.

His hesitancy and lack of conviction when finishing was a bit of a worry at times though. Hopefully it was just a case of being a bit rusty and trying too hard to make sure he hit the target not to balloon one over the bar.

Col2
17-02-2018, 08:17 PM
Any chance we’ll be able to sign Either or both on a permanent basis?

We have a option to buy Kamberi as part of loan deal but I don’t think we have the same with McLaren.

Billy Whizz
17-02-2018, 08:18 PM
Playing with both strikers who work hard, allows us to press high up the park, let’s our midfielders have space to play in

jacomo
17-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Jesus wept. We battered Aberdeen today and here is a thread with people moaning about our strikers. FFS

It’s ok. :wink:

I don’t see any moaning, just people trying to work out how McLaren never got a goal today.

hibby6270
17-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Early days but the 2 of them together are going to be a handful for any team. Add to that the supply they’ll get from today’s 3 in midfield plus Boyler and Lewis, the future looks good, certainly for the rest of this season.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-02-2018, 08:24 PM
McLaren and Kamberi look like a front two rather than two boys who play up front.

kaimendhibs
17-02-2018, 08:26 PM
It’s ok. :wink:

I don’t see any moaning, just people trying to work out how McLaren never got a goal today.Did you not see the post saying Kamberi was a headless chicken in 1st half?

kaimendhibs
17-02-2018, 08:26 PM
Or McLarens woeful finishing?

Jones28
17-02-2018, 08:30 PM

Tbf you'd expect a striker to finish at least one of the chances he had today. Still, he played really well and had he scored a hattrick it would have been more than deserved.

HibernianJK
17-02-2018, 08:32 PM

It’s a discussion board FFS win lose or draw you’re always going to look where you can improved. It’s not always moaning.

Sammy7nil
17-02-2018, 08:37 PM
Most of what he hit was on target. Keeper closed 3 down. He tried to bend one in too close to the goalie and his second attempt into he second half was well struck and Boyler had a free header. Woeful was not my view...

Okay woeful a bit strong how about his general play and effort was good his finishing was well below what is expected with room for vast improvement. :greengrin

DH1875
17-02-2018, 09:55 PM

:agree::agree::agree: Thought they were excellent today. Might sound daft but I love the fact that their not afraid to have a go/pop at goal which is maybe something we've been missing.

BigT-Hibeez
17-02-2018, 10:14 PM
Wasn't long ago Boyle was getting slated for his failure to finish on one on ones.... He'll be chuffed that McLaren is getting the flak now..!!

:confused:

Golden Bear
17-02-2018, 10:18 PM
A vast improvement on what we had before the transfer window and I was a big fan of Murray.

truehibernian
17-02-2018, 10:28 PM
Kamberi looks to be one of these strikers that appears at the right place at the right time in games - occupies defenders and I also noticed last two games he winds defenders up by talking to them and clearly says things that antagonises them and causes them to lose focus.

McLaren works really hard and gets in behind - like a poor version of Scott McDonald (not a criticism at all), in fact the pair of them show good game intelligence when we break and they work space well. First time in ages I've seen all our midfield get shots away, which was only down to the space the front pair created :agree:

davemcbain
17-02-2018, 10:29 PM
Missed the game today and my only input is to share Michael Stewart's comments on the radio. He felt that the front two were the weak links today and that a decent number 9 was needed.
Having said that, he also offered the gem that when McInnes plays a different formation to his strongest one, the team just aren't as good ..... which I guess is about the perfect definition why the strongest formation is the strongest? or am I missing something.

Personally happier with MacLaren missing a few than Murray not getting the ball at all. If he's in the right place and getting the ball, the goals will come.

Will look forward to watching the recording of the alba game in the morning.

MWHIBBIES
17-02-2018, 10:32 PM
Strikers have those days, he kept going regardless. He'll be so motivated to bag one next week after that

Golden Bear
17-02-2018, 10:32 PM
Missed the game today and my only input is to share Michael Stewart's comments on the radio. He felt that the front two were the weak links today and that a decent number 9 was needed.
Having said that, he also offered the gem that when McInnes plays a different formation to his strongest one, the team just aren't as good ..... which I guess is about the perfect definition why the strongest formation is the strongest? or am I missing something.

Personally happier with MacLaren missing a few than Murray not getting the ball at all. If he's in the right place and getting the ball, the goals will come.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and at odds with the viewpoint of Mr Stewart.

Stuart93
17-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Weird I mentioned playing these two up front, a small nippy striker playing off a bigger centre forward and got told it wasn't the 1960's anymore...thought they linked up superbly today.

truehibernian
17-02-2018, 10:35 PM

Not sure about 'weak links' but McLaren will be disappointed he didn't finish at least two from open play - but they were not weak, they worked the Aberdeen backline and it's very very unusual to see Aberdeen's back 3/4 not even penetrate the opposition half - which I'm sure Michael will now look at for the Sportscene coverage :cbprobably because Kamberi and Jamie were 'strong links' at closing down space :aok:

Eaststandee
17-02-2018, 10:35 PM
I had him on to score anytime so I wasn't best pleased with him earlier, but he's a quality wee player and will score a good few IMO.

:flag:

hibbysam
17-02-2018, 10:38 PM
Not sure about 'weak links' but McLaren will be disappointed he didn't finish at least two from open play - but they were not weak, they worked the Aberdeen backline and it's very very unusual to see Aberdeen's back 3/4 not even penetrate the opposition half - which I'm sure Michael will now look at for the Sportscene coverage :cbprobably because Kamberi and Jamie were 'strong links' at closing down space :aok:

Exactly this. Both done really well, fairly average first half then very good second half and those two keeping the Aberdeen back three so deep allowed Allan all the space in the world in the middle. Only let down was the finishing but that’ll come.

Hi Heid Yin
17-02-2018, 10:58 PM
McClaren's performance against the Sheep is deserving of a 10 for effort, an assist, and keeping the opposition defence occupied and flustered, and, sadly, 0 for his finishing.
I like the lad and hope for his sake that he gets that first goal from open play sooner rather than later.

ChilliEater
17-02-2018, 11:05 PM
When McLaren first came to Perth Glory he had a few games like that - for a while I wasn't sure if he was a poor striker because he kept missing or a good one because he kept getting into positions and never seemed to let the misses bother him. Glory liked playing 1 up front at that time so he wasn't getting much game time, the coach preferring Andy Keogh.
When he moved to Brisbane he was getting more game time and was in a better team and his scoring record was superb. Gets a lot of 1 on 1's and usually misses by hitting the keeper rather than missing the target. I'm hopeful that a run of games will see his conversion rate improve again.

Victor
17-02-2018, 11:28 PM
The front two worked their socks of today and Aberdeen could not handle them. They tried a few things that did not come of, but they continually talk to each other and can only get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proud_and_green
17-02-2018, 11:36 PM
I thought they worked well together and played closer than we've had front men playing this season which allowed them to support each other. They drew more players into defence which opened up space in midfield.
Cracking game

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

stoneyburn hibs
17-02-2018, 11:37 PM
I like Kamberi, McLaren not so much.
Harsh maybe but the boy had 4 gilt edged chances to score. Hopefully I'm proved to be wrong.

truehibernian
17-02-2018, 11:44 PM
Harsh maybe but the boy had 4 gilt edged chances to score. Hopefully I'm proved to be wrong.

Kamberi hit two shots into Lochend - yet scored a good goal with his only real 'chance'.

Jamie's shot led to Boyle's goal.

I think both will miss plenty chances, but tell you what, did you see the team spirit when we scored both goals ? Wouldn't have seen that with Stokes :agree: Both will do fine, and that's Flo on two goals after three games isn't it ?

Mikey09
17-02-2018, 11:49 PM

Exactly.

stoneyburn hibs
17-02-2018, 11:59 PM
Kamberi hit two shots into Lochend - yet scored a good goal with his only real 'chance'.

Jamie's shot led to Boyle's goal.

I think both will miss plenty chances, but tell you what, did you see the team spirit when we scored both goals ? Wouldn't have seen that with Stokes :agree: Both will do fine, and that's Flo on two goals after three games isn't it ?

I'm probably moaning for moanings sake. Credit to him for getting into those positions to have a go. Hopefully it happens for him and with Scott's constant through ball's I'm sure it will. Agree regarding the team spirit,it's definitely for the better.

hibeemikey21
18-02-2018, 01:50 AM
McClaren's performance against the Sheep is deserving of a 10 for effort, an assist, and keeping the opposition defence occupied and flustered, and, sadly, 0 for his finishing.
I like the lad and hope for his sake that he gets that first goal from open play sooner rather than later.

I’ve trawled this thread and this is the exact summation I echo. Great effort, terrible tekkers.

BSEJVT
18-02-2018, 05:19 AM
I thought they worked really well as a pair and were full of effort

I think the summation of his first half is pretty harsh on Kamberi as he worked their back line pretty hard and isn't afraid to get stuck in.

Those of you who doubt the effectiveness of pinning their defence back only need to look at the effect Efe's magnificent forward forays had on opening up space for the attack.

Kamberi & MacLaren denied Aberdeen this opportunity.

MacLaren's finishing was poor and even the shot which set up Boyle's goal wasn't a good one as it was at a very easy height to save, but its way too early to reach any conclusions.

They are a substantial upgrade on what we had before and its great to see a front two linking up.

Getting into positions to score is the hard part and I am very hopeful that once he gets his first goal he will be off and running.

Dashing Bob S
18-02-2018, 05:27 AM
Now that the dust has settled would like to see Anthony Stokes back in a Hibs jersey. He’d have had a hatrick today.

hibsbollah
18-02-2018, 05:52 AM
It just seemed like last month (it was I think!) that our forward line was one of Stokes, Shaw, Simon Murray and Boyle. Now all but one of those four have gone, we've got two new boys in and we haven't missed a beat. In fact, results against hun and sheep suggest we've reached another level.

Best window ever :dunno:

Green_one
18-02-2018, 07:06 AM
[QUOTE=truehibernian;5319243First time in ages I've seen all our midfield get shots away, which was only down to the space the front pair created :agree:[/QUOTE]

This ais a key feature for me.Whilst i think the attack did not hits the heights the defence and midfield hit today, all three midfield players got in shots and benefited from the space created. I believe we have more chance getting goals from midfield now

Also think Kamberi brings that dimension of holding up play and battering defenders. I would like to see Shaw thrown in later in the game. His development must continue

Frazerbob
18-02-2018, 07:45 AM

Funny, I’m the opposite. I think McLaren looks an excellent player. Very tidy, hard working, good touch and worked hard. He was excellent first half, less so 2nd. He reminded me of Gary Hooper.
Kamberi I thought looked poor throughout, despite his goal. Having said that, goals win prizes so let’s see what we all think after a few more games. By no means writing the guy off after scoring 2 goals already.

cannastar
18-02-2018, 07:52 AM
i think when all is said and done the positive to take is that young oli shaw is being given a chance to rest instead of being thrown in every week when perhaps he would burn out before he learned his craft.neil is incredibaly careful with his managing of the younger players,not panicing and rushing to play them until they are ready both physically and mentally which in the long run can only benefit us as a club and team.exciting times ahead I feel ggth.:flag:

hibsbollah
18-02-2018, 07:55 AM
i think when all is said and done the positive to take is that young oli shaw is being given a chance to rest instead of being thrown in every week when perhaps he would burn out before he learned his craft.neil is incredibaly careful with his managing of the younger players,not panicing and rushing to play them until they are ready both physically and mentally which in the long run can only benefit us as a club and team.exciting times ahead I feel ggth.:flag:

:agree: although by running riot at the Oriam in midweek he's giving Lennon food for thought.

18-02-2018, 09:38 AM
This ais a key feature for me.Whilst i think the attack did not hits the heights the defence and midfield hit today, all three midfield players got in shots and benefited from the space created. I believe we have more chance getting goals from midfield now

Also think Kamberi brings that dimension of holding up play and battering defenders. I would like to see Shaw thrown in later in the game. His development must continue

Yes, even Dylan had a shot. MacLaren did well teeing it up for him when he realised a shot from himself would probably have been blocked.

The_Exile
18-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Couple of occasions where they took up similar positions and were looking to run into the same space but that awareness will come with training and game time. They both looked excellent today and the midfield were linking well with them from the first whistle. Great stuff.

B.H.F.C
18-02-2018, 10:10 AM
McClaren doesn’t look the best finisher (hopefully just a bit rusty) but he is involved in a lot of the chances we have so he must be doing something right. If you count that as an assist for Boyle yesterday, along with a winning goal at Ibrox, it’s not a bad return for his only real appearances.

I like Kamberi. I’d be looking to get him signed, along with Allan, in the summer.

Hibby Kay-Yay
18-02-2018, 10:18 AM
It’s still very early in the partnership but the signs are very promising.

JimBHibees
18-02-2018, 11:16 AM
It’s still very early in the partnership but the signs are very promising.

Agree great signs their work rate was terrific and some of the link up was very good.

kaimendhibs
18-02-2018, 11:22 AM
McLaren reads the offside trap brilliantly. Plays right on last man. I am sure he will start putting chances away as most were on target but blocked or saved. Kamberi shows well, takes ball in and lays it off. Scoring too. I personally am delighted

overdrive
18-02-2018, 11:54 AM
I don’t think MacLaren is the greatest of footballers and his finishing was shocking yesterday. He did have the ball in the back of the net at Ibrox from open play, so perhaps yesterday was just a bad day for that.

What I like about him though is that he never gives defenders a minute’s peace and does a power of running. He gets in the right positions time after time.

Him and Kamberi look like a proper partnership that I don’t think we’ve seen for a very long time (certainly not under at least the last 5 managers, except maybe briefly last season) rather than good individual strikers (or crap ones) playing together that we’ve been used to.

Golden Bear
18-02-2018, 12:08 PM
I like Mclaren, he works his socks off and creates space for others. I think the Dons keeper deserves some credit for quickly shutting down the opportunities that came Mclaren's way. He reminds me of Gareth Evans who turned out to be a great servant to the Club.

matty_f
18-02-2018, 12:26 PM
I don’t think MacLaren is the greatest of footballers and his finishing was shocking yesterday. He did have the ball in the back of the net at Ibrox from open play, so perhaps yesterday was just a bad day for that.

What I like about him though is that he never gives defenders a minute’s peace and does a power of running. He gets in the right positions time after time.

Him and Kamberi look like a proper partnership that I don’t think we’ve seen for a very long time (certainly not under at least the last 5 managers, except maybe briefly last season) rather than good individual strikers (or crap ones) playing together that we’ve been used to.

He hit the target more often than not though, and if he keeps doing that the goals will come.

Scooter
18-02-2018, 01:05 PM
For me Kamberi is what we have been missing along with Allan. Kamberi gives us exactly what Holt gave us. Some one that will tirelessly work the defence even if it's not coming off for them getting their bodies in the way making the defence work for every ball.

Holt didn't score a lot for us but we where usually better with him in the team

Mibbes Aye
18-02-2018, 01:51 PM
He hit the target more often than not though, and if he keeps doing that the goals will come.

There are a few posts on this thread slating his finishing. He didn’t get a goal yesterday despite a few good chances but the fact he was there for the good chances and was getting it on target rather than skying it or blasting it wide makes me suspect he will do well for us.

A group of us met after the game in the pub, having sat in different parts of the stadium, and one of the first things that came up was the partnership between the front two. They look like an absolute handful for defenders and that was against the clear best team other than Celtc over the last couple of years.

As others have said, their work rate created space for midfield and defence to push up. At times we were pressing so high it was like a mismatch at youth level. There’s a bit about Aberdeen’s game plan there too though - against lower table sides the movement of Maclaren and Kamberi will be important but we will need patience to allow the midfield to keep possession and work it until they can find an opening.

Really happy with both players and it’s great for the club to have them looking good at this crucial part of the season. Other teams aren’t used to them yet and that gives us an edge.

Ozyhibby
18-02-2018, 03:50 PM
I thought McLaren was excellent yesterday.
Strikers who miss a lot, score a lot.

rcarter1
18-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Look like a partnership,very encouraged by these two, if the goals begin to flow we could start hurting teams. Totally optimistic, watching players working for each other is what I like to see.

weecounty hibby
18-02-2018, 05:50 PM
I thought they were both excellent. A goal and an assist from them yesterday and they worked the defenders all afternoon.

ozwoody
18-02-2018, 11:49 PM
I thought they were both excellent. A goal and an assist from them yesterday and they worked the defenders all afternoon.

Big difference between Stokes and Murray to current front two is that McClaren and Flo do not come looking for ball 30 yards from goal, thats midfielders job ,they sit on last defender, making sure defence doesnt compress space and help midfield.By pinning defence back , this helps our midfield to run at defence, as shown with Mcginn v rangers and Allan v Aberdeen, to great effect.Front two also pull wide giving defences the dilema of a) going to the ball , leaving striker unmarked or b) run with striker , leaving position and a gap.
I thought McClarens link up play with Allan was good as he ran across line of defenders and knew Allan has the brain to play the ball to his feet.

green day
19-02-2018, 06:37 AM
McClarens movement was excellent, and as mentioned above, having such a clever player as Allan to pick him out will pay dividends.

Kamberi is different, perhaps not such a tidy player, but will get more goals as he has that instinct - a bit like Cummings had - do nowt then boom, goal.

We won't win every game, but will pick up more points with these three in the squad.

The Leith Dutch
19-02-2018, 07:07 AM

There are a few posts on this thread slating his finishing. He didn’t get a goal yesterday despite a few good chances but the fact he was there for the good chances and was getting it on target rather than skying it or blasting it wide makes me suspect he will do well for us.

A group of us met after the game in the pub, having sat in different parts of the stadium, and one of the first things that came up was the partnership between the front two. They look like an absolute handful for defenders and that was against the clear best team other than Celtc over the last couple of years.

As others have said, their work rate created space for midfield and defence to push up. At times we were pressing so high it was like a mismatch at youth level. There’s a bit about Aberdeen’s game plan there too though - against lower table sides the movement of Maclaren and Kamberi will be important but we will need patience to allow the midfield to keep possession and work it until they can find an opening.

Really happy with both players and it’s great for the club to have them looking good at this crucial part of the season. Other teams aren’t used to them yet and that gives us an edge.

Partnership things is bang on - they looked like they understood the other player's game.

The bit about creating space is also spot on. Have rarely seen us do it that well.

Stevenson kept pulling the right side of their defence over by basically standing there and you could see in the Aberdeen player's face he was caught in two minds - can't let Stevenson have the run of the left channel but at the same time if he went that way the Hibs midfield was going to pick them apart in the centre.

I have a feeling that at some point in the very near future that Hibs team is going to give someone a right doing.
Here's hoping it's the yams.

My old man
19-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Partnership things is bang on - they looked like they understood the other player's game.

The bit about creating space is also spot on. Have rarely seen us do it that well.

Stevenson kept pulling the right side of their defence over by basically standing there and you could see in the Aberdeen player's face he was caught in two minds - can't let Stevenson have the run of the left channel but at the same time if he went that way the Hibs midfield was going to pick them apart in the centre.

I have a feeling that at some point in the very near future that Hibs team is going to give someone a right doing.
Here's hoping it's the yams.

I’ve been saying the latter bit to my mates
I honestly think we’ll give someone a real doing 4-0 4-1
5-0 5-1 are my bets every week
GGTTH

B.H.F.C
19-02-2018, 10:25 AM
I’ve been saying the latter bit to my mates
I honestly think we’ll give someone a real doing 4-0 4-1
5-0 5-1 are my bets every week
GGTTH

Before the weekend I didn’t think we’d catch the sheep. There is a chance we could do now, especially with them likely to drop points this weekend.

Goal difference could be important, with 4 in it at the moment in their favour, so giving someone a doing at some point might be useful.

My_Wife_Camille
19-02-2018, 10:36 AM
MacLarens finishing was awful on Saturday, no doubt about it. People saying otherwise are only kidding themselves.

That said though, I make it that he has just started his first game since April last year so he is bound to be a bit rusty. His all round game was good so if he can sharpen up on his finishing I think we’ll have a real player on our hands. The obvious comparison to Scott McDonald is a good one.

One of the things I liked was that he took three of his attempts on his weaker left foot without hesitation. This is a big thing for me for strikers and once he gets up to speed it could be the difference between us drawing games and winning them

hhibs
19-02-2018, 11:04 AM
Anybody know if we have aa arrangement to buy either or both after the loan period are up,if so hopefully at a pre-fixed price ??

:flag::flag::flag:

Captain Trips
19-02-2018, 11:23 AM
MacLarens finishing was awful on Saturday, no doubt about it. People saying otherwise are only kidding themselves.

That said though, I make it that he has just started his first game since April last year so he is bound to be a bit rusty. His all round game was good so if he can sharpen up on his finishing I think we’ll have a real player on our hands. The obvious comparison to Scott McDonald is a good one.

One of the things I liked was that he took three of his attempts on his weaker left foot without hesitation. This is a big thing for me for strikers and once he gets up to speed it could be the difference between us drawing games and winning them

I agree I was happy he was in right places but disappointed in the end result but taking into account it was his first start and he has not played much then maybe his sharpness will improve.

There is no better provider for him than Scott Allan with his excellent passing and vision.

Very hopeful.

Hibbyradge
19-02-2018, 11:41 AM
A tin hat may be required, but I'm closer to Michael Stewart's opinion than the majority of those expressed on this thread.

I watched the game again last night, the second half anyway, and I just can't see what has generated such enthusiasm for the 2 strikers.

I realise that you can point to Kamberi's 2 goals, but I'm still not convinced and Jamie looks like he couldn't spell composure never mind demonstrate any.

Hopefully I'm missing something (several things actually) and the majority opinion is accurate.

However, I'm cautioned by the knowledge that there were people betting on Simon Murray to end up top SPFL goalscorer.

Godsahibby
19-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Anybody know if we have aa arrangement to buy either or both after the loan period are up,if so hopefully at a pre-fixed price ??

I am sure we have an option on Kambari.

One Day Soon
19-02-2018, 12:07 PM
I thought McLaren was excellent yesterday.
Strikers who miss a lot, score a lot.

Not to be picky but surely strikers who don't miss a lot, score a lot more?

FWIW I think once he gets more game time he'll sharpen up and start scoring regularly.

Ozyhibby
19-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Not to be picky but surely strikers who don't miss a lot, score a lot more?

FWIW I think once he gets more game time he'll sharpen up and start scoring regularly.

Not necessarily, a striker can be deadly accurate with his shooting but a lazy bugger with zero game intelligence to get himself into the right areas.
Good article on it here.
https://www.theringer.com/2018/1/12/16879916/soccer-raheem-sterling-manchester-city-goal-scoring-expected-finishing-skill

JDHibs
19-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Thought both were excellent.

MacLaren will get better with game time, barely played for 6months remember and yet, hes making good runs, getting into good positions, the goals will come.

Kamberis hit the ground running, loves a flick, seems to have decent control, works the defenders well and has an eye for goal.

They worked well as a pair, Kamberi being the target man type and MacLaren running off him. Excited to see how they continue this!

Wilson
19-02-2018, 02:27 PM

Maclaren will be a year into a three year contract. The current manager didn't sign him so I guess he is out of favour. Press quotes indicate that he hopes the player will play his way into Australia's world cup team and go back to them a better player.

If he does well enough then we couldn't afford him.

midfield_maestro
19-02-2018, 03:49 PM
Big difference between Stokes and Murray to current front two is that McClaren and Flo do not come looking for ball 30 yards from goal, thats midfielders job ,they sit on last defender, making sure defence doesnt compress space and help midfield.By pinning defence back , this helps our midfield to run at defence, as shown with Mcginn v rangers and Allan v Aberdeen, to great effect.Front two also pull wide giving defences the dilema of a) going to the ball , leaving striker unmarked or b) run with striker , leaving position and a gap.
I thought McClarens link up play with Allan was good as he ran across line of defenders and knew Allan has the brain to play the ball to his feet.

Precisely

kaimendhibs
19-02-2018, 06:30 PM
A tin hat may be required, but I'm closer to Michael Stewart's opinion than the majority of those expressed on this thread.

I watched the game again last night, the second half anyway, and I just can't see what has generated such enthusiasm for the 2 strikers.

I realise that you can point to Kamberi's 2 goals, but I'm still not convinced and Jamie looks like he couldn't spell composure never mind demonstrate any.

Hopefully I'm missing something (several things actually) and the majority opinion is accurate.

However, I'm cautioned by the knowledge that there were people betting on Simon Murray to end up top SPFL goalscorer.Did you see McLarens clever runs to get in on goal, staying onside too. Did you see his shots on targets, his willingness to shoot? Kamberis's goal? His link up.play?

Sammy7nil
19-02-2018, 07:21 PM
Thought both were excellent.

MacLaren will get better with game time, barely played for 6months remember and yet, hes making good runs, getting into good positions, the goals will come.

Kamberis hit the ground running, loves a flick, seems to have decent control, works the defenders well and has an eye for goal.

They worked well as a pair, Kamberi being the target man type and MacLaren running off him. Excited to see how they continue this!

I wonder what mark they will get when they both score and don't waste five or six god chances :greengrin

Wee Effen Bee
19-02-2018, 07:38 PM
We did win on Saturday didn’t we?🤫 Sorry but you don’t play the way we did (for some of the first half and nearly all of the second) with poor strikers. It’s fumny but even at half time the craic around us (East Stand) was how well the front two were playing and how they were complementing each other. Flo is only 22 but was holding the ball up like an experienced forward. Maclaren was hauling their back line all over the ship. Our forwards allowed the midfielders to step into the Aberdeen half almost unopposed as the Dons’ midfield was dropping farther back towards their own defenders who were being run ragged. Maclaren has started one game and has scored already. Florian has scored 2 goals in 3 games against second and third in the league. What more do some people want?

Hibbyradge
19-02-2018, 08:02 PM
Did you see McLarens clever runs to get in on goal, staying onside too. Did you see his shots on targets, his willingness to shoot? Kamberis's goal? His link up.play?

I mentioned Kamberi's goals.

You may think that the pair of them are the bees knees. A lot of people are impressed too.

I'm not convinced. Hopefully I will be.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2018, 08:27 PM

Spot on, it creates space that our midfield can exploit rather than having Stokes dropping back and nobody to hit.

Both forwards stretch the defenders too, not giving them a minutes rest, something we've rarely done a lot of this season, we have played a lot of our football in front of the opposition, now we are getting behind them more.