PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Aberdeen 17 Feb 2018)

Jonnyboy
17-02-2018, 06:50 PM
I’ll be honest and say that I was very nervous ahead of today’s game as I kept thinking back to that drubbing we took at Pittodrie. Aberdeen are a very good side as their league position verifies but when the final whistle blew at Easter Road I was absolutely thrilled to have watched Hibs destroy the Dons. Only losing 2-0 actually flattered Aberdeen as Hibs, especially in the second half, dominated proceedings and could easily have scored four or five.

Ahead of the game starting there was a minute of applause in recognition of the recent passing of Liam Miller. I know there are mixed feelings about whether such events should be marked with silence or applause but I’ve always thought that applause is the better option, marking as it does the achievements of the player that has passed.

Team wise, Neil Lennon went for an attacking line up with the same back three set up used to good effect at Ibrox last time out; a midfield five with Boyler and Lewis as the wide men and two strikers whose movement would cause any defence problems. The Dons were without the influential Graeme Shinnie in midfield and had on loan keeper Freddie Woodman into their starting eleven.

Hibs started well and took early control of the midfield with Scott Allan pulling the strings but in truth the first forty five minutes saw very little goalmouth action. Moments of note saw both McGinn and Maclaren test Woodman while a thunderbolt effort from Kenny McLean brought out the best in Marciano. At that point Aberdeen had forced themselves into the game a bit more but the surprising thing to me was that they didn’t resort to the tactics they used last time out at Easter Road, when they took turns to foul Hibs players at every opportunity. The second half witnessed natural order restored in that regard.

Bursting out of the blocks from the first whistle, Hibs were ahead inside the first minute. Maclaren was put through on goal but his effort was blocked by Woodman with the ball again falling to the Aussie striker whose second effort bounced high towards Boyle and the Hibs wide man was able to head home from close range.

To say Aberdeen were stunned by that goal would be an understatement as they were taken apart in midfield by Hibs and resorted to kicking and pulling opponents earning a quick flurry of yellow cards from referee Andrew Dallas. Amongst those booked was Kenny McLean who should have gotten a second yellow for a shocking foul on Scott Allan. The Hibs man was doubly aggrieved as he himself had been booked for an identical challenge minutes earlier. It was a baffling call by Dallas but I have to say that other than that instance and a failure to award a corner to Hibs after Woodman had tipped a low shot around his post, he had a decent game.

Hibs were rampant now with Scott Allan in imperious form and as the Hibs man fired at goal the ball deflected to Kamberi. The big striker had his back to goal but swivelled well before firing home from around twelve yards. Hibs fans were roaring the team on now and quite how we didn’t add to the two goals is a bit of a mystery as Woodman’s goal led a charmed life. Chances came and went but it was significant to me that we kept control as all too often in the past Hibs would have sat deep and invited pressure as the clock ran down.

A fabulous performance, particularly in the second half, with every single player playing a part, in gaining three important points. A number of players could be singled out for particular praise including the keeper, the back three and the twin strikers but for me the midfield won the day with Scott Allan the pick of the bunch. Allan sees passes others could only dream about and as his knowledge of how those around him play increases he is going to be a key figure for the remainder of our season.

The players

Rocky – had one excellent save in each half but was largely untroubled otherwise.

Efe – I’ve been harsh on Efe a few times in recent games but the big fella was at his imperious best today with numerous forward forays causing the Dons problems.

Daz – totally dominated Adam Rooney and read the game brilliantly when Aberdeen tried wee flicks near the edge of the box.

Paul – no mistakes today, just excellent from start to finish.

Boyler – spent a large part of the first half concentrating on his defensive duties but in the second he had the Dons defence terrified with his pace and trickery.

Dylan – was voted the Sponsors man of the match and to be fair he put in a great shift. One slight niggle I have is that he sometimes delays a pass too long, resulting in loss of possession.

Scotty – my man of the match he was the puppeteer today, calling all the shots and picking passes left right and centre. I really hope we can come to some deal with Celtic to secure his services on a permanent basis.

SJM – found himself up against a decent player in Nwakali, Aberdeen’s on loan player from Man City, but soon learned how to deal with that and impose himself in midfield.

Lewis – the wee man was excellent today and it was notable that Aberdeen’s ploy of switching Mackay-Steven to the right failed miserably.

Flo – had a patchy first half when he seemed to have trouble getting the ball stuck between his feet on occasion but was excellent in the second. He’s a big, powerful and very mobile lad and took his goal really well.

Jamie – might have got a couple of goals today but never let his head go down when those chances didn’t go in. Like Kamberi, he’s very mobile and will cause defences all sorts of bother with that.

Marv – brought on to steady the ship, with around fifteen minutes left, but by that time Aberdeen were like a punch drunk boxer staggering on the ropes and so his presence was hardly needed.

Danny – no time to get involved really

Neil – got his tactics and formation spot on again. I didn’t get back to the car in time to hear his interview and can only imagine how delighted he must have been with his team’s performance.

The ref – as I said earlier, other than a couple of baffling decisions I thought he did ok, which is odd when you consider his name is Dallas!

The fans – very quiet in the first half I thought but made up for it in the second.

Mr White
17-02-2018, 06:56 PM
That's a really pleasing read. Thanks again JB :thumbsup:

Hi Heid Yin
17-02-2018, 06:56 PM
:top marks

thebakerboy
17-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Thanks JB for yet another excellent report very much as I saw the game.I feel the back 3 we were superb today and for me Paul Hanlon was the pick , he never broke sweat all day and for me was one of my two MOM. I think that the front 2 look like they could build an excellent pair up front. Rocky made 2 good saves but really wasnt troubled all day. Boyler and Lewie were great wing backs and Boyle had the Dons defense running scared in that second half. The midfield trio were just superb and look forward to seeing how good they can become , and my 2nd MOM was Scott Allan.

LancsHibs
17-02-2018, 07:09 PM
Spot on summary :thumbsup:

MichelleHibs
17-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Superb read as usual jonnyboy! 😀 today was very pleasing after the pittodrie debacle!!

kaimendhibs
17-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Excellent report but I can't get how GMS wasn't booked. Loads of fouls and niggles and even tried to square up to Daz.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Smartie
17-02-2018, 07:34 PM
I’ll be honest and say that I was very nervous ahead of today’s game as I kept thinking back to that drubbing we took at Pittodrie. Aberdeen are a very good side as their league position verifies but when the final whistle blew at Easter Road I was absolutely thrilled to have watched Hibs destroy the Dons. Only losing 2-0 actually flattered Aberdeen as Hibs, especially in the second half, dominated proceedings and could easily have scored four or five.

Ahead of the game starting there was a minute of applause in recognition of the recent passing of Liam Miller. I know there are mixed feelings about whether such events should be marked with silence or applause but I’ve always thought that applause is the better option, marking as it does the achievements of the player that has passed.

Team wise, Neil Lennon went for an attacking line up with the same back three set up used to good effect at Ibrox last time out; a midfield five with Boyler and Lewis as the wide men and two strikers whose movement would cause any defence problems. The Dons were without the influential Graeme Shinnie in midfield and had on loan keeper Freddie Woodman into their starting eleven.

Hibs started well and took early control of the midfield with Scott Allan pulling the strings but in truth the first forty five minutes saw very little goalmouth action. Moments of note saw both McGinn and Maclaren test Woodman while a thunderbolt effort from Kenny McLean brought out the best in Marciano. At that point Aberdeen had forced themselves into the game a bit more but the surprising thing to me was that they didn’t resort to the tactics they used last time out at Easter Road, when they took turns to foul Hibs players at every opportunity. The second half witnessed natural order restored in that regard.

Bursting out of the blocks from the first whistle, Hibs were ahead inside the first minute. Maclaren was put through on goal but his effort was blocked by Woodman with the ball again falling to the Aussie striker whose second effort bounced high towards Boyle and the Hibs wide man was able to head home from close range.

To say Aberdeen were stunned by that goal would be an understatement as they were taken apart in midfield by Hibs and resorted to kicking and pulling opponents earning a quick flurry of yellow cards from referee Andrew Dallas. Amongst those booked was Kenny McLean who should have gotten a second yellow for a shocking foul on Scott Allan. The Hibs man was doubly aggrieved as he himself had been booked for an identical challenge minutes earlier. It was a baffling call by Dallas but I have to say that other than that instance and a failure to award a corner to Hibs after Woodman had tipped a low shot around his post, he had a decent game.

Hibs were rampant now with Scott Allan in imperious form and as the Hibs man fired at goal the ball deflected to Kamberi. The big striker had his back to goal but swivelled well before firing home from around twelve yards. Hibs fans were roaring the team on now and quite how we didn’t add to the two goals is a bit of a mystery as Woodman’s goal led a charmed life. Chances came and went but it was significant to me that we kept control as all too often in the past Hibs would have sat deep and invited pressure as the clock ran down.

A fabulous performance, particularly in the second half, with every single player playing a part, in gaining three important points. A number of players could be singled out for particular praise including the keeper, the back three and the twin strikers but for me the midfield won the day with Scott Allan the pick of the bunch. Allan sees passes others could only dream about and as his knowledge of how those around him play increases he is going to be a key figure for the remainder of our season.

The players

Rocky – had one excellent save in each half but was largely untroubled otherwise.

Efe – I’ve been harsh on Efe a few times in recent games but the big fella was at his imperious best today with numerous forward forays causing the Dons problems.

Daz – totally dominated Adam Rooney and read the game brilliantly when Aberdeen tried wee flicks near the edge of the box.

Boyler – spent a large part of the first half concentrating on his defensive duties but in the second he had the Dons defence terrified with his pace and trickery.

Dylan – was voted the Sponsors man of the match and to be fair he put in a great shift. One slight niggle I have is that he sometimes delays a pass too long, resulting in loss of possession.

Scotty – my man of the match he was the puppeteer today, calling all the shots and picking passes left right and centre. I really hope we can come to some deal with Celtic to secure his services on a permanent basis.

SJM – found himself up against a decent player in Nwakali, Aberdeen’s on loan player from Man City, but soon learned how to deal with that and impose himself in midfield.

Lewis – the wee man was excellent today and it was notable that Aberdeen’s ploy of switching Mackay-Steven to the right failed miserably.

Flo – had a patchy first half when he seemed to have trouble getting the ball stuck between his feet on occasion but was excellent in the second. He’s a big, powerful and very mobile lad and took his goal really well.

Jamie – might have got a couple of goals today but never let his head go down when those chances didn’t go in. Like Kamberi, he’s very mobile and will cause defences all sorts of bother with that.

Marv – brought on to steady the ship, with around fifteen minutes left, but by that time Aberdeen were like a punch drunk boxer staggering on the ropes and so his presence was hardly needed.

Neil – got his tactics and formation spot on again. I didn’t get back to the car in time to hear his interview and can only imagine how delighted he must have been with his team’s performance.

The ref – as I said earlier, other than a couple of baffling decisions I thought he did ok, which is odd when you consider his name is Dallas!

The fans – very quiet in the first half I thought but made up for it in the second.

Careful now.

Robinho08
17-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Excellent report, agree with your assessment.

greenlex
17-02-2018, 08:06 PM

The players

The fans – very quiet in the first half I thought but made up for it in the second. agreewuth every word. Should have booked McLean for exactly the same thing heboojed Allan for. Bizarre

Docc109
17-02-2018, 08:17 PM
agreewuth every word. Should have booked McLean for exactly the same thing heboojed Allan for. Bizarre
Don't know how they finished with 11 players, some very clinical fouls.

Jonnyboy
17-02-2018, 08:48 PM
Careful now.

😂 deliberate use of the phrase 😂

17-02-2018, 08:52 PM
Excellent summary as ever Jonnyboy, thanks. Spot on re the ref who bottled it with not giving McLean a 2nd yellow. Other than that (and the corner he got wrong) the ref gets a lot of credit from me because he gave them the bookings they deserved compared to the last time at Easter Road when Steven McLean let them get away with it.

Just shows you how big a difference it can make, we could have seen a similar scoreline in October to today's had McLean done his job. Dons fans will say not having Shinnie was the difference whereas I will tell them it was actually due to them not getting away with their usual dirty tactics.

BSEJVT
17-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Superb read as usual jonnyboy! 😀 today was very pleasing after the pittodrie debacle!!

One of the most pleasing things about recent Hibs teams (from Stubbs and onwards) is that they aren't intimidated by rough tactics and are quite prepared and able to stand up to it and prevail.

As a child of the Tornadoes era they will always have a special place in my heart but I can honestly say that I really appreciate the Hibs teams of the last 4 years and the players from them

O'Rourke3
17-02-2018, 09:32 PM
Only 9/10 on the report. Imperious twice in the same report? :greengrin:. Dallas missed a lot of Aberdeen fouls in the first half. Made up for it in the second though but sh*t it with McLeans second.

Jonnyboy
17-02-2018, 10:47 PM
Only 9/10 on the report. Imperious twice in the same report? :greengrin:. Dallas missed a lot of Aberdeen fouls in the first half. Made up for it in the second though but sh*t it with McLeans second.

He did but to be fair I felt Hibs got away with a few too :agree:

jacomo
17-02-2018, 11:16 PM
A great match report again.

These are must reads for me this season.

lord bunberry
18-02-2018, 01:18 AM
Great summary as usual. The biggest shock of the day was the sponsors not giving Scott Allan man of the match. What game were they watching.

telford hibbee
18-02-2018, 08:19 AM
Great summary as usual. The biggest shock of the day was the sponsors not giving Scott Allan man of the match. What game were they watching.
Thought it was a toss up between Dylan and Scott Allan. Mcgeouch geys sponsors mom and Scott allan gets bbc Alba mom. Works for me.

Green Fish
18-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Great report from a great game.

Still buzzing, cldnt sleep and woken up very early.

Qu? Did Boyler change his boots at ht?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
18-02-2018, 08:39 AM
Only change I would make is that it was Dylan that MacLean's second challenge was on.

B.H.F.C
18-02-2018, 09:11 AM

I can see why it went to McGeough.

Thought he was outstanding. Allan does his thing further up the park, but McGeough totally dictated the game IMO.

Allan is als going to help McGinn massively as well. Thought he was much more calm yesterday, instead of feeling that he had to do everything.

Jack
18-02-2018, 09:27 AM
Great report from a great game.

Still buzzing, cldnt sleep and woken up very early.

Qu? Did Boyler change his boots at ht?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, the boys a fool. He had them on the wrong feet in the first half!!!

Hibeewilly
18-02-2018, 09:41 AM
I can see why it went to McGeough.

Thought he was outstanding. Allan does his thing further up the park, but McGeough totally dictated the game IMO.

Allan is als going to help McGinn massively as well. Thought he was much more calm yesterday, instead of feeling that he had to do everything.
Spot on...it was very noticeable. Great performance:top marks

Baldy Foghorn
18-02-2018, 10:14 AM
Bossed the game, great all round team performance

Brightside
18-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Thanks JB for yet another excellent report very much as I saw the game.I feel the back 3 we were superb today and for me Paul Hanlon was the pick , he never broke sweat all day and for me was one of my two MOM. I think that the front 2 look like they could build an excellent pair up front. Rocky made 2 good saves but really wasnt troubled all day. Boyler and Lewie were great wing backs and Boyle had the Dons defense running scared in that second half. The midfield trio were just superb and look forward to seeing how good they can become , and my 2nd MOM was Scott Allan.

Our defence were fantastic today. Paul Hanlon is the best scottish CH by some margin now.

18-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Our defence were fantastic today. Paul Hanlon is the best scottish CH by some margin now.

What about Daz? I rate them both about the same. Much as I hate to admit it Berra is decent too though I wouldn't take him over Hanlon or Daz. Berra is good at defending but poor going forward though is a goal threat at set pieces. He is adept at getting away with the sneaky side of the game, pushing, holding etc and if he didn't get away with it so much and got punished the way he should then he wouldn't be anywhere near as effective as he is.

Brightside
18-02-2018, 10:58 AM
What about Daz? I rate them both about the same. Much as I hate to admit it Berra is decent too though I wouldn't take him over Hanlon or Daz. Berra is good at defending but poor going forward though is a goal threat at set pieces. He is adept at getting away with the sneaky side of the game, pushing, holding etc and if he didn't get away with it so much and got punished the way he should then he wouldn't be anywhere near as effective as he is.

Im not playing down Daz but he is near the end of his career - hence why he wont get a look in at Scotland. Paul is in his prime. Berra is good at defending and clearing the ball but he an awful footballer. As soon as he starts pinging 40 yard passes to wingers feet constantly then i'll change my mind. :greengrin

18-02-2018, 11:05 AM
Im not playing down Daz but he is near the end of his career - hence why he wont get a look in at Scotland. Paul is in his prime. Berra is good at defending and clearing the ball but he an awful footballer. As soon as he starts pinging 40 yard passes to wingers feet constantly then i'll change my mind. :greengrin

Okay, fair enough. I agree with all of that. Would love to see McLeish give Hanlon his well deserved chance for Scotland.

NAE NOOKIE
18-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Like the OP I was a bit squeaky bummed before this one given the doing we took at Pittodrie. Like them with the Ugly sisters I was beginning to think Aberdeen were our bogey team this season, but I couldn't have been more wrong, with after a nip & tuck first half Hibs putting in as good a performance as I've seen since Lennon became manager.

Marciano ..... 7 ..... A very good save from McLean in the first half, but made a bit of a hash coming for a cross at one point and the long range shot he saved in the second but failed to hold could have easily resulted in a goal if Hanlon hadn't been there to tidy up. Solid apart from that.

Ambrose .... 8 .... Strolled it and his use of the ball was very good at times ... a couple of Efe moments when he tried to play his way out of situations where he should have just cleared it .... but hey, that's Efe.

Hanlon .... 9 ..... Absolutely bossed it against a team noted for their attacking prowess ... caught under the ball once out wide, but that was his only error in a fantastic individual performance.

McGregor ... 8 .... Just love the guy, what an absolute warrior he is. Left a naughty wee calling card on GMS in the first half which IMO had the effect I hoped it would on a player I'm still convinced lacks the appetite for a scrap.

Stevenson ... 8 .... That for me was his best game of the season, popped up in midfield with some nice stuff and put himself into some really good positions defensively .... fantastic energy, at this rate he'll be playing at 40.

McGeouch ... 8 ... He was everywhere picking up the ball and driving the team ... as others have said sometimes delays his pass too long, but that aside he was terrific yesterday and he sure as hell isn't afraid of a tackle.

McGinn .... 8 .... Buzzed about and it was his closing down play which was outstanding yesterday .. one good run and shot which could easily have resulted in a carbon copy of his goal at Ibrox, at times it looked like him and Allan had played together for years, not just two games.

Allan .... 9 ..... What can you say? The guy is as good a footballer as I've seen in years at ER and its like he never left us the first time around. Dribbling, passing, vision and a surprisingly high workrate, the guy has it all ... its tragic that he isn't already a star at this level or considerably higher ... One thing is evident though, I don't know if its the air in Leith or the fact that its always sunny there ....but Hibs are the club for him, we just appear to be able to get the best out of him.

Boyle ... 8 ... Put in a great shift in the first half defending our right side and changed that in the 2nd half to become a threat every time he got the ball. Was in the right place at the right time to score and worked his arse off ..... 'again' .... If he had a bit more composure and his left foot wasn't just for standing on he would be a 20 goals a season man.

Kamberi .... 7.5 .... I thought in the first half he struggled a wee bit and his control let him down on occasions, in the second his movement and workrate were excellent and he took his goal brilliantly. I really must learn his name instead of saying 'the big Swiss lad' all the time :greengrin

MacLaren ... 7.5 .... His workrate is superb, his movement is excellent and once him and Allan have played a few games together the possibilities are endless. He would have been an 8 if he had scored, the keeper did a good job narrowing the angle to prevent him twice, but at the end he should have done far better when he had either side of the goalie to choose from and shot straight at him.

SUBS:

Bartley .... 5 .... By the time he came on the way we were playing we could jut have taken McGinn off and played with 10 men, he practically had nothing to do ... but he gets 5 just for being Marv.

Swanson .... 4 ..... Little time to do anything, but 4 just for being on the pitch at the end of a terrific Hibs performance.

Neil Lennon ...... With every passing game his, no doubt painful, decision to bin Stokes seems to have been the right one ... team unity and spirit seem 100% better.

SIDE NOTES: ..... Well done to the Aberdeen manager, his post match interview was blunt, honest and hugely complimentary to Hibs ... there's a few managers in this league who should take note .. classy.

Simon Murray ..... Well done son :aok:

Liam Fontaine .... They Yams just cant beat him :greengrin

MB62
18-02-2018, 02:51 PM

Nah, not a shock at all. IMO they could have given it to ANY player in a Hibs jersey and I wouldn't have argued. Personally thought Dylan just edged it, JUST.

Jonnyboy
18-02-2018, 10:05 PM
Only change I would make is that it was Dylan that MacLean's second challenge was on.

Yep, just watched the highlights and you're spot on :agree:

Sir David Gray
18-02-2018, 10:44 PM
Just seen the Sportscene highlights and that tackle by Kenny McLean on McGeouch is a shocker. As clear a sending off as you're ever likely to see.

Totally unacceptable by Dallas.