PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Hogg

JimBHibees
17-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Good to see Hoggy going into the West stand with strip on today. Hope he enjoyed the win.

Cocaine&Caviar
17-02-2018, 05:53 PM
Already Scotland's greatest ever rugby player IMO.

Danderhall Hibs
17-02-2018, 06:00 PM
I saw him earlier in the season - think it was the other game v Aberdeen. I hadn’t realised he was a Hibee until then.

Benny Brazil
17-02-2018, 06:01 PM

No where near that yet

Fritz
17-02-2018, 06:29 PM
https://twitter.com/StuartWHOGG_/status/964943211159539713

Not sure if this will work from my phone.

CropleyWasGod
17-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Already Scotland's greatest ever rugby player IMO.Not even Scotland's greatest ever full back. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

jeffers
17-02-2018, 06:35 PM
I thought I saw him at ER earlier this seaon, but assumed it was just a look-a-like, didn't realise he was a Hibby. I love him even more !

Cocaine&Caviar
17-02-2018, 06:42 PM
No where near that yet

Between him & Hastings, if you at ability rather than number of caps, Hogg blows him out the water.

However, dont want to hijack .net with rugby chat.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-02-2018, 06:52 PM

Hastings and Irvine (and that’s just two played his position) might be aggrieved at that! Hibee or not what’s he won? Weve also have a decent share or world class scrum half’s. Just curious as
You your reasoning?

Sammy7nil
17-02-2018, 06:53 PM
Between him & Hastings, if you at ability rather than number of caps, Hogg blows him out the water.

There are other rugby players other than fullbacks. Great player still has someway to go to be the greatest.

CropleyWasGod
17-02-2018, 06:56 PM
Hastings and Irvine (and that’s just two played his position) might be aggrieved at that! Hibee or not what’s he won? Weve also have a decent share or world class scrum half’s. Just curious as
You your reasoning?And many will say that Ken Scotland was a better FB than all 3.

S4uzee
17-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Wee Griff at the game today also

Vault Boy
17-02-2018, 07:02 PM
One of the best Scottish rugby players I've seen, such a talent. Always good to have noteworthy Hibees taking a real interest in the team.

Greentinted
17-02-2018, 07:03 PM
And (apparently) a distant relative of a certain George Best...what’s not to like?

Hibs1969
17-02-2018, 07:13 PM
It was also good to read during the week that John Rutherford, another Scotland and British Lion great, possibly our greatest ever stand off half and a massive Hibs fan has recovered from prostate cancer. Good on you John. GGTTH.

H113EE5
17-02-2018, 07:18 PM
Hibs hump the Dons and, last night, Edinburgh see off Ulster to take a play-off place in the Pro-14. Just need Scotland and Hibs double next week-end. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::flag::flag:

Golden Bear
17-02-2018, 07:54 PM
We have another Hoggmeister. He's the man!

Drumlanrig
17-02-2018, 08:35 PM

Played against both Irvine and Hastings and both fantastic players. You could not get near Irvine he was so quick and Hastings was captain courageous strong and impossible to bring down!

Still looks like Hoggie will be better than both though, he has attacking and defending and creating all in his skillset!

Still take Alex Edwards before any of them though!

ano hibby
17-02-2018, 08:37 PM
Played against both Irvine and Hastings and both fantastic players. You could not get near Irvine he was so quick and Hastings was captain courageous strong and impossible to bring down!

Still looks like Hoggie will be better than both though, he has attacking and defending and creating all in his skillset!

Who’d you play for mate?

Drumlanrig
17-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Who’d you play for mate?
Haddington when we were at our best and I was 30 odd years younger
Struggling a bit now!

Golden Bear
17-02-2018, 08:47 PM
I'll put in a vote for P.W. Dods. 😉

17-02-2018, 08:50 PM
I don’t know anything about rugby because I’m not a hertz fan

Drumlanrig
17-02-2018, 08:50 PM
I'll put in a vote for P.W. Dods. 😉
Aye good hard , committed , solid player and great kicker!
Nae cigar though!

Golden Bear
17-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Aye good hard , committed , solid player and great kicker!
Nae cigar though!

An excellent diplomatic response. 😁

Tobias Funke
17-02-2018, 08:57 PM

You do come out with some utter dross. Let’s wait till the end of his career eh?

truehibernian
17-02-2018, 09:00 PM

Andy Irvine was an absolute thoroughbred of a rugby player, head and shoulders above Hogg in my opinion. And a really decent fella to boot.

Similar to Hogg, when AI caught an 'up and under' from deep you instantly got up off your seat because you knew he would change a game. At a time when it was 'amateur', what an athlete he was too. Yet to see a better player than John Rutherford though..........grace personified on a rugby pitch.

Sammy7nil
17-02-2018, 09:11 PM
Andy Irvine was an absolute thoroughbred of a rugby player, head and shoulders above Hogg in my opinion. And a really decent fella to boot.

Similar to Hogg, when AI caught an 'up and under' from deep you instantly got up off your seat because you knew he would change a game. At a time when it was 'amateur', what an athlete he was too. Yet to see a better player than John Rutherford though..........grace personified on a rugby pitch.

Tom Smith, John Leslie Gary Armstrong amongst others all have claims too

Drumlanrig
17-02-2018, 09:14 PM

Ah good Sir is it not so fine to be discussion the attributes of a number of fine Scottish fullbacks! Aye Rud was and always will be one of my favourite 10s!

Agreed Irvine will always be up there in the gods, however when I think back to how much space and time there was in the game then, I remain convinced the Hogg would compete with and surpass any who have gone before.

Opinions eh!

Golden Bear
17-02-2018, 09:21 PM
It's strange how a post can develop on Hibs Net but the best Scottish rugby player in my life time has just got to be Jim Renwick - a true genius!

Hawick hibee
17-02-2018, 09:22 PM
I was lucky to sort out tickets today for him, great guy does all he can to help out with requests from Hibs.
Done a talk for the development squad earlier in the season, is sorting out a visit for some of the hibs staff to visit the Scotland training camp whilst the 6 nations is on so they can possibly learn from other sports.
Sorted sir david gray with a ticket last week for the game and gave him his jersey after the game.
Hoggy has really bought into the HIBEES way and gets a buzz out of the games I suppose it's a good change from the rugby.
As always let's enjoy his talent whilst he is on the top of his game in his chosen sport and enjoy that he's s Hibby too. 🇳🇬

cheltenhamhibee
17-02-2018, 09:23 PM
The best I've seen is John Rutherford, sublime player, also agree with every other player being mentioned in posts, but Rutherford just shades it for me, notable mentions for John Jeffery & Alan Tait as well

truehibernian
17-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Ah good Sir is it not so fine to be discussion the attributes of a number of fine Scottish fullbacks! Aye Rud was and always will be one of my favourite 10s!

Agreed Irvine will always be up there in the gods, however when I think back to how much space and time there was in the game then, I remain convinced the Hogg would compete with and surpass any who have gone before.

Opinions eh!

You could very well be right mate, I was misty eyed with my Malbec in hand reading your post, thinking about the all the great players..........Paxton, Milne(s), Roy Laidlaw, Colin Deans.............halcyon days buddy :agree:

I think in those days there was a 'less professional' approach shall we say, yet Irvine looked like he was an athlete at all times.........when I was a youngster I had a part-time waiting job and the squad came in to the restaurant after a 5 nations game. Irvine was an absolute gentleman and despite the 'revelry' took time to thanks everyone for a good night at the end............hence my bias :greengrin

CMurdoch
17-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Tom Smith, John Leslie Gary Armstrong amongst others all have claims too

You mean David Leslie.
Great great player.

superfurryhibby
17-02-2018, 10:54 PM
The best I've seen is John Rutherford, sublime player, also agree with every other player being mentioned in posts, but Rutherford just shades it for me, notable mentions for John Jeffery & Alan Tait as well

Tait was a try scoring machine who made the grade at League and then came back to achieve what he did in Union aecond time around

PercyHibs
18-02-2018, 06:56 AM
Hogg is the best full back in the world at the moment. Scotland’s best ever player IMO. Sublime talent.

h185forever
18-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Watched as he was approached by numerous people looking for pictures with him ...what a gentleman, agreed to all and seemed happy to do so.

Jones28
18-02-2018, 07:56 AM
You do come out with some utter dross. Let’s wait till the end of his career eh?

He's certainly the most exciting player in a generation

Hawick hibee
24-02-2018, 08:51 PM
Well played Scotland need to enjoy this one they haven't came along too often recently against the auld enemy.
Stuart Hogg he's one of our own he's one of our own Stuart Hogg is one of our own 🇳🇬🇳🇬
Sorted dame leeann out with a ticket today 👏👏

Shrekko
25-02-2018, 09:17 AM
One thing nobody should ever do is claim that a current player in any sport is the greatest.... always a line of people ready and able to tell you that they ‘couldn’t lace the boots’ of someone from 30 or 40 years ago....

Eyrie
25-02-2018, 11:18 AM
One thing nobody should ever do is claim that a current player in any sport is the greatest.... always a line of people ready and able to tell you that they ‘couldn’t lace the boots’ of someone from 30 or 40 years ago....

It's impossible to compare across different eras because sport changes so much over the years. Scotland vs Irvine vs Hastings vs Hogg? 50s vs 70s vs 90s vs now.

FilipinoHibs
25-02-2018, 11:33 AM

no one comes close to Jim Renwick. From a Hawick boy.

Shrekko
25-02-2018, 11:43 AM
It's impossible to compare across different eras because sport changes so much over the years. Scotland vs Irvine vs Hastings vs Hogg? 50s vs 70s vs 90s vs now.

Exactly - the game is totally different. Hogg is rated the best in the world in his position at the moment - we can’t really say anyone has ever been miles ahead of that!

lyonhibs
25-02-2018, 01:37 PM
Andy Irvine also has a decidedly toothsome daughter, not that that is of much relevance to this debate.

For my "era" I loved Hastings and Mr Reliable Chris Paterson.

Hoggy has it in him to surpass both though.

Nameless
25-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Andy Irvine also has a decidedly toothsome daughter.

You should write erotica.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Sammy7nil
25-02-2018, 02:25 PM
You should write erotica.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

If you think that is erotic you need to stay away from the dentist :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
25-02-2018, 05:36 PM
Andy Irvine also has a decidedly toothsome daughter, not that that is of much relevance to this debate.

For my "era" I loved Hastings and Mr Reliable Chris Paterson.

Hoggy has it in him to surpass both though.

Hogg’s already ahead of Paterson. 2 Lions tours and the beat in the world in his position. Paterson was reliable and actually unlucky to have had to play on the wing and at full back - he could’ve been a class 10 but was never really given the opportunity.

Kavinho
25-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Hogg’s already ahead of Paterson. 2 Lions tours and the beat in the world in his position. Paterson was reliable and actually unlucky to have had to play on the wing and at full back - he could’ve been a class 10 but was never really given the opportunity.

Paterson only was in the team for his kicking at the time when Scotland were attrocious. Powder puff and couldn't tackle, while the ball never made it as far as the wings when in attack!!

HoboHarry
25-02-2018, 07:52 PM
And (apparently) a distant relative of a certain George Best...what’s not to like?
I imagine there's a few relatives of George Best wandering around Edinburgh and all of them born within a year or so of each other......... :tee hee:

essexhibee
25-02-2018, 08:31 PM
Paterson only was in the team for his kicking at the time when Scotland were attrocious. Powder puff and couldn't tackle, while the ball never made it as far as the wings when in attack!!

Couldn’t tackle? Seem to remember him making a wonderful last ditch tackle to save a try at Twickenham once.

Forza Fred
25-02-2018, 08:34 PM
And many will say that Ken Scotland was a better FB than all 3.

Remember him well.....and Bill MacLaren’s commentaries...

ekhibee
26-02-2018, 12:31 AM
Interesting debate about full backs and rugby in general, and good that John Rutherford is pulling through, one of the best Scottish fly halfs ever to play the game, in my lifetime anyway. Picking the best player in different positions is a tricky one and obviously lots of people will have different opinions, but for me I'll go with the guy who IMO was the best Scottish player I ever saw in the position that I played in, No.8. That was Ian Paxton.