PDA

View Full Version : Big efe

AugustaHibs
17-02-2018, 04:13 PM
Outstanding. So composed on the ball and he's no slow either!

SirDavidsNapper
17-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Take a bow

HibeeHibernian4
17-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Best performance since United away in March last season. I’ll be honest, I had my doubts about him starting right back against GMS after the game we saw at Pittodrie, but it was night and day today. For whatever reason, McInnes decided to keep him at almost left back. Suited us just fine.

hibee_girl
17-02-2018, 04:16 PM
:agree:

He was brilliant today.

Mr Grieves
17-02-2018, 04:38 PM
He was magnificent. Solid in defence and drove us forward on a number of occasions

Hibeesmad
17-02-2018, 04:40 PM
My MOTM by far. Flawless

Smartie
17-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Yep, he was outstanding today and he was my MOTM as well.

I'm not always convinced by him and have criticised him a fair bit but today he showed exactly what he is capable of.

Superb defensively and excellent driving out of defence with the ball.

B.H.F.C
17-02-2018, 04:42 PM
Just posted elsewhere that most of the good things we did actually started with him playing out from the back.

Thought he was superb at Ibrox as well. Big games where he needs to be at it right from the start he’s fine. He’s more likely to have an ‘Efe’ against Hamilton on a Wednesday night in the rain.

Baw187
17-02-2018, 04:43 PM
My MOTM. Sensational.

Keith_M
17-02-2018, 04:52 PM
My MOTM by far. Flawless

:agree:

Bob Box Fish
17-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Effe was brilliant today long may it continue.

Lee Marvin
17-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Best performance since United away in March last season. I’ll be honest, I had my doubts about him starting right back against GMS after the game we saw at Pittodrie, but it was night and day today. For whatever reason, McInnes decided to keep him at almost left back. Suited us just fine.

He didn't play right back. Right of a magnificent 3

WhileTheChief..
17-02-2018, 04:56 PM
My MOTM. Sensational.

Man of the century.

Walkin’, talkin’, footballin’ God :not worth

Joe Baker2
17-02-2018, 04:56 PM
great player. Solid. Love the guy!

SteveHFC
17-02-2018, 05:02 PM
One of the best defenders we've had for a long time.

Mon Dieu4
17-02-2018, 05:03 PM
Strolled it, cigar and cognac in hand

aljo7-0
My MOTM too. Loved it when he demanded more noise from the East after one of his many surges up the pitch

IGRIGI
He's dangerous also going forward, great performance!

Godsahibby
17-02-2018, 05:05 PM
Mans created a new position in football, the centre half wing back. He was outstanding

pacoluna
17-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Efe was my MOM, superb today. Marciano, McGregor,Hanlon,Stevenson,McGeouch, McGinn,Boyle,Allan,kamberi, MacLaren coming a very close joint second. What a performance.

wookie70
17-02-2018, 05:16 PM
A couple of small Efe moments but he was up there with Dylan for MOTM today. Loved the way he took Boyle's place when the squirrel was breathing out of posteria and the shimming in the first half need the Dons attacker to buy a ticket to get back in. Brilliant performance

adhibs
17-02-2018, 05:30 PM
That bit where he went up as for header but brought it down on his chest was brilliant

Jack Hackett
17-02-2018, 05:53 PM
Efe being covered in Alba's half time entertainment now

Jim44
17-02-2018, 05:58 PM
Efe being covered in Alba's half time entertainment now

Good stuff. Came across well. :thumbsup:

Mr White
17-02-2018, 05:58 PM
Good stuff. Came across well. :thumbsup:

:agree: nice feature

ChicoM1875
17-02-2018, 06:00 PM
A couple of small Efe moments but he was up there with Dylan for MOTM today. Loved the way he took Boyle's place when the squirrel was breathing out of posteria and the shimming in the first half need the Dons attacker to buy a ticket to get back in. Brilliant performance

"Efe moments" is right up there with "Hibsed it" for me. Been class since he joined

IGRIGI
17-02-2018, 06:19 PM
"Efe moments" is right up there with "Hibsed it" for me. Been class since he joined

Agreed, I think Efe moments should now represent his winger esque adventures or when he casually beats 3 men on his own 18 year box and strolls out from the back.

wookie70
17-02-2018, 06:20 PM
"Efe moments" is right up there with "Hibsed it" for me. Been class since he joined I agree he has been class but he still has the odd moment.

Mantis Toboggan
17-02-2018, 06:24 PM
I was telling my non Hibs supporting pal I had at the game with me today before kick off that he was "never a right back". Cheers Efe for making me look a right dunce.

ChicoM1875
17-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Agreed, I think Efe moments should now represent his winger esque adventures or when he casually beats 3 men on his own 18 year box and strolls out from the back.

Definitely - He's a proper footballer. Paul Hanlon is in a similar category. Played a blinder today.

IGRIGI
17-02-2018, 06:38 PM
I was telling my non Hibs supporting pal I had at the game with me today before kick off that he was "never a right back". Cheers Efe for making me look a right dunce.

Dont be hard on yourself, as pointed out by a previous poster Efe's created a new position of CBWB (Centre Back Wing Back) which he's excelling in :greengrin

Mantis Toboggan
17-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Dont be hard on yourself, as pointed out by a previous poster Efe's created a new position of CBWB (Centre Back Wing Back) which he's excelling in :greengrin

Ha! He covered some amount of ground today.

kaimendhibs
17-02-2018, 06:46 PM
Thought he was extra fired up today after the goading they gave him last time at pitoddrie. Was outstanding and they aren't laughing now

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

California-Hibs
17-02-2018, 06:50 PM
Apparently not a right back though. Personally, and not just because of how well he played today, I think he’s played brilliantly at right back

B.H.F.C
17-02-2018, 06:59 PM
Apparently not a right back though. Personally, and not just because of how well he played today, I think he’s played brilliantly at right back

He’s no a right back. Played well in a back three today though.

greenlex
17-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Best game for Hibs to date.

Docc109
17-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Superb! MOTM for me.

worcesterhibby
17-02-2018, 07:45 PM
awesome reminded me of Alan Hansen at his best for Liverpool today. Composed, great feet and happy to carry the ball deep into the opposition half.

SquashedFrogg
17-02-2018, 08:11 PM
Man of the century.

Walkin’, talkin’, footballin’ God :not worth

Loving man of the century!!! Genius :)

Such a talent

Craig_HFC
17-02-2018, 08:21 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180217/fc05e7ec64ad6d0db6cfaa75772f82c3.jpg

truehibernian
17-02-2018, 09:07 PM
Rightly Scott Allan will take the plaudits today but what a fantastic performance from Efe Ambrose today. When you consider the pundit and online 'lynching' he got after Pittodrie, to come out today and from start to finish totally outplay Aberdeen's forward line (GMS, McGinn and May all tried on his flank), and provide impetus going forward in both halves, for me he actually shaded it for MotM.

Top top performance today. Mind, how we have missed Allan - what a player he is when on-song. Best window we have had in ages it would appear, great team spirit on display today :aok:

renato
17-02-2018, 09:27 PM
Cigars oot. Top drawer

DH1875
17-02-2018, 10:03 PM
Best game for Hibs to date.

Was great today but to be fair I think he's been pretty good all season and that he's been a cracking signing. Defo had some unfair criticism at times.

The Harp
17-02-2018, 10:16 PM
Thought Efe was outstanding today. He just oozes class, and seems to be enjoying playing for us. Very difficult to select just one man of the match today with so many first class performances - Efe was my choice.

superfurryhibby
17-02-2018, 10:22 PM
It wasn't flawless, but when you consider that Efe doesn't ever' take the easy option, instead creating and giving impetus to our game whenever possible and sometimes when it doesn't seem likely, you have to say he was outstanding. What a coup getting him to sign on was,

truehibernian
17-02-2018, 10:44 PM
It wasn't flawless, but when you consider that Efe doesn't ever' take the easy option, instead creating and giving impetus to our game whenever possible and sometimes when it doesn't seem likely, you have to say he was outstanding. What a coup getting him to sign on was,

McInnes tried four players targeting Efe today and none got any joy. When you consider the form Aberdeen were on, in particular McGinn and GMS, I think Efe deserves huge praise. Second half he was immense :aok: I genuinely didn't notice Niall McGinn playing today :agree:

H18 SFR
17-02-2018, 10:45 PM
McInnes tried four players targeting Efe today and none got any joy. When you consider the form Aberdeen were on, in particular McGinn and GMS, I think Efe deserves huge praise. Second half he was immense :aok: I genuinely didn't notice Niall McGinn playing today :agree:

Was McGinn genuinely playing?

Borderhibbie76
17-02-2018, 10:51 PM
McInnes tried four players targeting Efe today and none got any joy. When you consider the form Aberdeen were on, in particular McGinn and GMS, I think Efe deserves huge praise. Second half he was immense :aok: I genuinely didn't notice Niall McGinn playing today :agree:I only noticed McGinn was playing for them around the 70 min Mark...sums up just how good Efe was today
..he was deffo my MOTM in an outstanding team performance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Glory Lurker
17-02-2018, 10:56 PM
awesome reminded me of Alan Hansen at his best for Liverpool today. Composed, great feet and happy to carry the ball deep into the opposition half.

You’re bang on with that. A dangerous defender.

He was on on fire today.

Captain Trips
18-02-2018, 12:15 AM
Owned

JimBHibees
18-02-2018, 09:36 AM

Said exactly the same at the game yesterday re Niall McGinn he was totally anonymous.

One Day
18-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Brilliant today

Northernhibee
18-02-2018, 01:22 PM
There was a moment he read a May cross beautifully, cleared it to one of our players then burst out of the box at pace for the passback and to drive forward. Stunning workrate, reading of the game and desire to turn defence into attack.

heretoday
18-02-2018, 01:33 PM
He's a classy mover and hardly put a foot wrong apart from his ball-handling incident in the second half.

hughio
20-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Just thought I would bump this up.

Everyone's high on our performance on Saturday and the plaudits are being handed to various midfielders and front men.

Whilst that was very pleasing my own MOM, like others above,was Efe.

Some around me in upper west can't take the stress when he's on the ball fearing a bombscare moment .

But Gee Whizz... what a display on Saturday!

Absolutely world class.

:not worth

Ryan69
21-02-2018, 05:52 AM
Just thought I would bump this up.

Everyone's high on our performance on Saturday and the plaudits are being handed to various midfielders and front men.

Whilst that was very pleasing my own MOM, like others above,was Efe.

Some around me in upper west can't take the stress when he's on the ball fearing a bombscare moment .

But Gee Whizz... what a display on Saturday!

Absolutely world class.

:not worth

We should enjoy him while it lasts....as I expect him to move on in the summer.

Id also expect quiet a descent fee if he can keep it up.

He deserves a big move...to prove all the doubters wrong.

Newcastle were after him...but he couldnt get the work permit.
Now he will have residency however.

Smartie
21-02-2018, 07:11 AM
I think he would do well down South.

He's a lot quicker than I realised, and ordinary players can do well down South if they have the physical attributes.

He'd need to cut out his nonsense though, as his mistakes would always be punished. We let him away with a fair bit (correctly, as he brings so much else to the table for us) that he may not get away with elsewhere.

Peevemor
21-02-2018, 07:30 AM
I think he'll stay - especially IF we get a crack at Europe.

He's already said that he's happy at ER and feels at home and he obviously wants to work with NL otherwise he wouldn't be with us in the first place.

He'll have already made a decent amount of money from football and I get the impression that a regular start, together with the above, will be more important to him than chasing a bit of extra dosh elsewhere.

Borderhibbie76
21-02-2018, 08:57 AM
I think he'll stay - especially IF we get a crack at Europe.

He's already said that he's happy at ER and feels at home and he obviously wants to work with NL otherwise he wouldn't be with us in the first place.

He'll have already made a decent amount of money from football and I get the impression that a regular start, together with the above, will be more important to him than chasing a bit of extra dosh elsewhere.I agree mate feels like some.posters on here are happy for us to offload all our players this summer...I think Efe is happy here with a manager that he trusts and trust him...time will tell but I reckon he will stay if we get a crack at Europe

CentreLine
21-02-2018, 09:32 AM
It’s been a while since he scored. Would like to see his goal celebration on a regular basis.

Hibbyradge
21-02-2018, 09:47 AM
I agree mate feels like some.posters on here are happy for us to offload all our players this summer...

I don't think anyone is happy to offload all our players. Just like you, people are weighing up the various possible scenarios.

Most posters thought that Efe came to Hibs to finalise his residency requirements before moving elsewhere. No-one knows if that's the case or if it ever was, but he could leave.

5 of our squad are not even our players. Allan, Barker, Kamberi, Maclaren and Rherras. Allan was speaking about the possibility of doors opening at Celtic, McGinn we know will be sold at some stage and McGeough hasn't signed the contract he's been offered.

So, that's 8 players whose Hibernian futures are in doubt and you can add David Gray to that list given his recent form and injuries.

Is there any wonder folk are showing signs of concern?

Borderhibbie76
21-02-2018, 09:52 AM
I don't think anyone is happy to offload all our players. Just like you, people are weighing up the various possible scenarios.

Most posters thought that Efe came to Hibs to finalise his residency requirements before moving elsewhere. No-one knows if that's the case or if it ever was, but he could leave.

5 of our squad are not even our players. Allan, Barker, Kamberi, Maclaren and Rherras. Allan was speaking about the possibility of doors opening at Celtic, McGinn we know will be sold at some stage and McGeough hasn't signed the contract he's been offered.

So, that's 8 players whose Hibernian futures are in doubt and you can add David Gray to that list given his recent form and injuries.

Is there any wonder folk are showing signs of concern?Why panic tho?? Just enjoy the team and if players move on we trust Lennon, Craig and Dempster to fund and find adequate replacements...

hibspayne
21-02-2018, 10:02 AM
So i have said this about Efe alot, any and everytime he has an "Efe" moment I always feel its down to him trying to play football. By either seeing a pass but his team mates not seeing it so he looks like its a garbage pass, or by simply trying to show his skills!! I might get annoyed in the moment but would rather he has his Efe moments than pump it long and we lose possession. A great player with a great attitude that is Human !!! Just my thoughts

:flag:

Smartie
21-02-2018, 11:01 AM
So i have said this about Efe alot, any and everytime he has an "Efe" moment I always feel its down to him trying to play football. By either seeing a pass but his team mates not seeing it so he looks like its a garbage pass, or by simply trying to show his skills!! I might get annoyed in the moment but would rather he has his Efe moments than pump it long and we lose possession. A great player with a great attitude that is Human !!! Just my thoughts

:flag:

I agree with you.

One of the main attributes of a defender is decision making though - knowing when to play and knowing when to lump it up the park.

It is to Efe's credit that he always wants to play football (and as Hibs fans we should really not have a problem with this). Every now and then though, a lump up the park or into touch is what is needed.

Of all of our previous defenders, Sauzee was the one who played the most football. I don't ever remember him getting caught, and it's not that he didn't take the odd risk - he played some outrageous stuff at times (but got away with it).

Efe gave the ball away once or twice on Saturday down by the corner flag, and in spite of that still managed to put in a top drawer performance. I just have a hunch that he'd be punished for his over-playing at a higher level.

When he's on his game, playing football and getting away with the odd lapse, there is little doubt that he's one of the best, most entertaining players who has ever played for us.

And I'd love him to stay for longer.

It would be great if we could keep this team and manager for one more year. I don't think they'd be a million miles away from putting in a title challenge, especially considering Celtic don't look as invincible as they did.

Ilovehibs
21-02-2018, 11:32 AM
I agree with you.

One of the main attributes of a defender is decision making though - knowing when to play and knowing when to lump it up the park.

It is to Efe's credit that he always wants to play football (and as Hibs fans we should really not have a problem with this). Every now and then though, a lump up the park or into touch is what is needed.

Of all of our previous defenders, Sauzee was the one who played the most football. I don't ever remember him getting caught, and it's not that he didn't take the odd risk - he played some outrageous stuff at times (but got away with it).

Efe gave the ball away once or twice on Saturday down by the corner flag, and in spite of that still managed to put in a top drawer performance. I just have a hunch that he'd be punished for his over-playing at a higher level.

When he's on his game, playing football and getting away with the odd lapse, there is little doubt that he's one of the best, most entertaining players who has ever played for us.

And I'd love him to stay for longer.

It would be great if we could keep this team and manager for one more year. I don't think they'd be a million miles away from putting in a title challenge, especially considering Celtic don't look as invincible as they did.

Great post mate.

RossScott1991
21-02-2018, 12:46 PM
I actually think we should try our best to stop using the term “Efe moment” - it’s up there’s with “hibsd it” - just brings negative vibes. Let Efe just get on with it, because I think he’s been brilliant since signing for us. It’s not like he’s the only other defender at club who makes bad errors either. Hanlon I can think of 3 recent times that have led to goals
Morelos at Easter Road where he’s turned too easily
The poor header that led to Griffiths goal at parkhead
And recently again v Motherwell at Easter Road he’s out muscled far too easy for their goal also.

I understand where the saying “Efe moment” comes from, its breeds from his time at Celtic. He’s a hibs player now let’s treat him like the others. IMO

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Efe makes no more mistakes than our other defenders, he has been absolutely amazing this season, delighted we have him.

Smartie
21-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Efe makes no more mistakes than our other defenders, he has been absolutely amazing this season, delighted we have him.

It's the nature of the mistakes that make his a bit more noticeable - his are normally getting caught in possession trying to play his way out of trouble, or getting caught out of position.

I actually thought he had a really ropey start to the season and after about 5 or 6 games I was up for chucking Porteous in for him.

Since then he has been absolutely superb, whilst still having the odd terrible performance and the odd clanger.

His ability and willingness to drive out from defence in possession has been invaluable at times.

Keith_M
21-02-2018, 01:50 PM
I think, as a tribute to Efe, we should all turn up at Saturday's game with the flag of his home country.

Now where would we get one of those.....

:greengrin

Hibbyradge
21-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Why panic tho?? Just enjoy the team and if players move on we trust Lennon, Craig and Dempster to fund and find adequate replacements...

Who's panicking?

It's all just speculation. No-one has a crystal ball, but they're entitled to talk about the possibilities, good and bad.

Some folk, like you, are optimistic, some are pessimistic. None of them will be right, but that's the nature of a football forum.

As far as enjoying the team is concerned, I'm loving it and I'm spending a load of time and money doing so. It's great following Hibs these days.

Sammy7nil
21-02-2018, 05:22 PM
I actually think we should try our best to stop using the term “Efe moment” - it’s up there’s with “hibsd it” - just brings negative vibes. Let Efe just get on with it, because I think he’s been brilliant since signing for us. It’s not like he’s the only other defender at club who makes bad errors either. Hanlon I can think of 3 recent times that have led to goals
Morelos at Easter Road where he’s turned too easily
The poor header that led to Griffiths goal at parkhead
And recently again v Motherwell at Easter Road he’s out muscled far too easy for their goal also.

I understand where the saying “Efe moment” comes from, its breeds from his time at Celtic. He’s a hibs player now let’s treat him like the others. IMO

:aok::top marks

21-02-2018, 06:34 PM
Would be great if Efe made it into the Nigeria World Cup squad.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-star-efe-ambrose-sets-12064059 (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-star-efe-ambrose-sets-12064059)

Hibs star Efe Ambrose sets sights on 'greatest achievement' of making Nigeria’s World Cup squad

The former Celtic defender hasn't played for Nigeria for nearly two years but could make the World Cup.

ByAlan Temple

14:19, 21 FEB 2018

https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article12064081.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/JS143852095.jpgEfe Ambrose could earn a recall to the Nigeria squad (Image: Getty)Get Daily updates directly to your inbox+ Subscribe
Efe Ambrose admits being called up to the Nigeria squad for the World Cup would be the greatest achievement of his career.
The Hibs (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/hibernian-fc) defender's form at Easter Road has led to Salisu Yusuf potentially recalling him to the squad.

Ambrose (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/efe-ambrose) hasn't featured for the national side since facing Egypt almost two years ago but he boasts 51 caps and an Africa Cup of Nations winners’ medal.
The former Celtic centre-back also represented Nigeria at the last World Cup and insists he still has plenty to offer on the biggest stage of all.

https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article11464218.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS134902269.jpg

Hibernian's Efe Ambrose in action against Motherwell last week (Image: SNS)READ MORE

Former Hibs star Graham Stack defends Sergio Aguero as he recalls punching fan in Belgium (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-hibs-star-graham-stack-12059822)

Ambrose said: "Coming back into the national team would be a great achievement and feeling.
“To pull on that green-and-white shirt again would be my dream.
“My country gave me the platform to get to where I am today so representing them again would be the best thing that could happen in my career. There is more I can give and more I can achieve. I will never say never.

“I have achieved so many aspirations with my national team, the Olympics, the Under-20s, the Confederations Cup, winning the Nations Cup and playing in the World Cup (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/world-cup-2018) . I have a lot of good experiences.
“I just want to keep my form going and make sure I am in good shape, that is the most important thing. From there it is up to the gaffer to select me.
“If he sees me playing like I have been and wants to call upon my experience for the World Cup, then why not? That would be my dream, because it has been too long since I was part of the national team.”

https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article10958581.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS127456649.jpg

Hibernian's Efe Ambrose celebrates the fourth goal (Image: SNS Group)READ MORE

Neil Lennon opens up on depression relapse and says he can spot symptoms in players he works with (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-lennon-opens-up-depression-12058523)

Ambrose reckons he is in the form of his career after making his loan move from the Hoops permanent last summer.
He impressed in the heart of the Hibs defence earlier this campaign before cutting a composed figure deputising at right-back due to injuries to Steven Whitakker and David Gray.
As well as revitalising his own career, the 29-year-old has helped Hibs roar to within five points of second-placed Rangers.
Ambrose said: "This is one of my best (career) moments, playing the way I am right now as part of this team.
"It is not just about Efe Ambrose, we are in good form as a team and that is helping us to put in the best performances.

https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article12053886.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/14607964.jpg

Hibs boss Neil Lennon (Image: SNS Group)“There is a bit of competition in the squad and the quality is very high. We have good players, good talent and to be able to match that you have to keep improving and be in the best form you can. If not, the manager (Neil Lennon) will take you and put someone else in.”
Having lapped up his five years on the books of Celtic, Ambrose has found another place in Scotland to call home.
He added: “Everyone has responded to me so well - the fans, the staff and all the lads here.
"They really helped me to settle down. It felt like I went from a home to another home when I went from Celtic to Hibs because I was so welcomed from the moment I stepped in the door."